PDA

View Full Version : Great Article about Walter Camp

bonarae
September 26th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Give him credit for laying the foundations of the sport we know today as football.

https://yalealumnimagazine.com/articles/4169/walter-camp

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Camp died in 1925, before the NFL. I wonder what he would think about where the game is today. Proud?

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Camp died in 1925, before the NFL. I wonder what he would think about where the game is today. Proud?

The NFL started in 1920.

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2015, 02:47 PM
The NFL started in 1920.

did anyone notice?

Bisonoline
September 27th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Nice read.

Go Green
September 27th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Can someone give me the short version as to why Camp is considered the founder of modern football, whereas nobody cares about Percy Haughton?

DFW HOYA
September 27th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Can someone give me the short version as to why Camp is considered the founder of modern football, whereas nobody cares about Percy Haughton?

Camp chaired the rules committee and wrote extensively about the game in places which had never seen Ivy teams play.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2015, 04:43 PM
did anyone notice?

A few people. Enough that college football coaches at the time vehemently spoke out against professional ball.

Either way, it is inconsequential how people noticed if the NFL existed or not. Your statement said that Camp died before the birth of the NFL, I gently corrected you without degrading your intelligence or self-esteem. Instead of being snarky, be a man and own up to your error.

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2015, 06:09 PM
A few people. Enough that college football coaches at the time vehemently spoke out against professional ball.

Either way, it is inconsequential how people noticed if the NFL existed or not. Your statement said that Camp died before the birth of the NFL, I gently corrected you without degrading your intelligence or self-esteem. Instead of being snarky, be a man and own up to your error.

Changed my mind.

Laker
September 27th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Give him credit for laying the foundations of the sport we know today as football.

https://yalealumnimagazine.com/articles/4169/walter-camp

As a history teacher- and former head coach- I love this kind of stuff. Know where the game came from.