PDA

View Full Version : Basic skills in practice

bobbythekidd
December 3rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
I have been reflecting on the past season, and thinking about little things that could have changes some losses into wins. The obvious ones have been debated to death.
My question is about open field tackles and practice.
I have never played a down in college so I am looking for those that know. When I was in high school, players were encouraged to wrap up, but not drop and coach would blow the whistle a bit early. All while saying, “save it for the game.” As in don’t hurt each other in practice, so you can play on Friday.
I noticed that the teams playing in the playoffs have great tackling skills, and it was a skill GSU did not display this season. I am wondering if this save it for the game mentality is used in college and if this might contribute to poor tackling skills?
FWIW, I do not know if this practice was used at GSU in practice or not.

PapaBear
December 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
At this level, most practice time is devoted to initial stretching, a few brief position drills, and then gameplan installation and execution for offense, defense and special teams. There is virtually no time to work on fundamental skills like tackling. Many teams don't even go live during the week.

Tackling is about intimidation and "want to," anyway. You can drill a 20-year-old linebacker on "wrapping up" all you want. When he gets a straight-on shot at a running back in a game, he's not gonna worry about a form tackle. He's gonna try to run him over and leave cleat marks in his face. That's what gets hoots and howls in film review.

blukeys
December 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Tackling is about intimidation and "want to," anyway. You can drill a 20-year-old linebacker on "wrapping up" all you want. When he gets a straight-on shot at a running back in a game, he's not gonna worry about a form tackle. He's gonna try to run him over and leave cleat marks in his face. That's what gets hoots and howls in film review.

I agree and that is why I think tackling skills have gone downhill for the last 15 years. It seems everyone wants to have their moment of fame on ESPN.

McNeese75
December 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Although somewhat better this year at times, The Cowboy defense could use some tackling fundamentals review. There were various games (especially when they were tired) this year the arm tackling took over and the results were less than desireable.

I remember going to Portland State in 2004 and the one thing that really stood out in my mind was how good PSU was at tackling. They were like flypaper, if they gotcha, you were not going anywhere.