PDA

View Full Version : Running back Whitlock, then he met Montana

placidlakegriz
December 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
RIAL CUMMINGS Mind-blowing defense handcuffs Whitlock

By RIAL CUMMINGS of the Missoulian
The Southern Illinois Salukis executed their game plan to perfection Saturday afternoon - for one play. Then it all came unglued in the quarterfinals of the Division I-AA playoffs, discombobulated by a dominant Montana Grizzly defense and 18,883 leather-lunged fans at frozen Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

When it was done, the No. 2-ranked Grizzlies had their 12th straight victory by a count of 20-3, Payton Award finalist Arkee Whitlock had been locked down and SIU coach Jerry Kill - hey, is there a better football name in America? - could only admit the honest, brutal truth: “We got our butts kicked.”

PLEASE POST THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE PLEASE

December 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Nice to read the Griz give their props to Whitlock. Their defense was awesome.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
After reviewing my Tivo'd games:
Interestingly enough, I am not overly impressed with Ricky Santos or Arkee Whitlock, neither blew me away...

Santos didn't strike me as though he were making brilliant split decisions and didn't display "unusual" arm strength, don't get me wrong he looked good...

And

Arkee according to my Tivo (a truth syrum device) he broke 3 tackles on 21 carries... He displayed good speed, and a quick start up field, but not as much "Power" as I figured I'd see... Basically when Arkee got hit, he went down... That's not pro caliber (I'm probably wrong but I do have the historical artifact) called Tivo...

December 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Interestingly enough, I am not overly impressed with Ricky Santos or Arkee Whitlock, neither blew me away...Don't forget who they were playing against. For a better review watch Santos against Northwestern and Whitlock against UTM. Then imagine them against Harvard (no disrespect).

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Don't forget who they were playing against. For a better review watch Santos against Northwestern and Whitlock against UTM. Then imagine them against Harvard (no disrespect).

Yea, props from ralph for the Griz!!!:hurray:

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Don't hear that too often.

December 3rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Yea, props from ralph for the Griz!!!:hurray:You sound surprised. Do you listen to my WAVES show? :confused:
Don't hear that too often.BS. More rabble rousing. :nonono2: Are these the same folks who say the Griz get no respect (after being ranked in the top five all season and getting the #2 seed in the playoffs)? :eyebrow:

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
You sound surprised. Do you listen to my WAVES show? :confused:

You know I do Ralph. I am not being negative at all. Let's be honest. I know I am not the only Griz fan that has been feeling your slight recently. I understand tho. Impartiality. :eyebrow:

PS ralph, read the other thread on "rabble rousing" .

December 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
You know I do Ralph...Then you hear me almost every show praise the Griz like I have been doing for years. :nod:

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
I would never say the GRIZ never get any respect. You have to play the best and beat the best to be the best. Winning in the playoffs is where you earn respect. It is not handed to you or given as a gift. I am not some bandwagon fan who only likes drama and will jump ship when the GRIZ miss the playoffs (knock on wood that doesn't happen anytime soon). I have been born a Griz fan and will always been a Griz fan!

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Don't forget who they were playing against. For a better review watch Santos against Northwestern and Whitlock against UTM. Then imagine them against Harvard (no disrespect).

xlolx
Good one!

Seriously,
Arkee might rush for 300 Yds. against Harvard... I know I know, but my point was: and I do have one

When the best play the best - What gives?

December 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
... When the best play the best - What gives?Matchups like the Griz player said. Griz and UMass won them yesterday, bigtime.

Coastal89
December 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
xlolx

When the best play the best - What gives?
This

Att-Com-Int Yards TDs
THIGPEN, Tyler 24-41-1 351 3

against the best. App.St.

GrizzlyEdd
December 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Then you hear me almost every show praise the Griz like I have been doing for years. :nod:

But my friend Ralph... you say you praise the Griz then you choose the word "molest" to talk about our DB's... disgusting word and comparison... you my friend talk with forked tongue... you say one thing on WAVES then you call our DB's MOLESTERS... come one man... nuf is enuf... dislike the Griz all you want but lets be civil and not inflamatory and degrading.. that is almost like a personal attack... not the good ole Ralph, #1 FCS guy we all know and love.... time to move on... hell, all DB's try anything they can against some a bunch of extremely talented FCS receivers.. why single out the Griz..????? care to explain???:bow:

December 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
... you say you praise the Griz then you choose the word "molest" to talk about our DB's... why single out the Griz..????? care to explain???:bow:Sorry, I didn't mean for the word to be repugnant or sexual, I was talking about two plays in a football game fer crying out loud.

American Heritage Dictionary
mo·lest (mə-lěst')
tr.v. mo·lest·ed, mo·lest·ing, mo·lests
1. To disturb, interfere with, or annoy.

Like any fan I say interference when I see it. No matter what team it is. I do not single your beloved Griz. : smh :

I don't just "say" I praise the Griz, I do.
Peace to you Edd!

GrizzlyEdd
December 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean for the word to be repugnant or sexual, I was talking about two plays in a football game fer crying out loud.

Well my good friend Ralph, if one of YOUR children had been MOLESTED.... then you would get the point. I hope to GOD that it never happens in your family as it has in mine. The point here is that just the fact that you would use that analogy shows your total insensativity to such things and that you will go a long way to make sure eveyone knows you are the lord and master on here and you are perfectly correct no matter what you say... why not just say you screwed up by your choice of words like a man, swollow hard apologize and let's move on.... you didn't find any weapons of mass destruction here so lets do the right thing... ok???:bang:

December 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
... the fact that you would use that analogy shows your total insensativity to such things... why not just say you screwed up by your choice of words like a man, swollow hard apologize and let's move on... Damn Edd! Read my post!!! You know, the one that starts "Sorry, I didn't mean for the word to be repugnant or sexual..." What part of apology is not there? I am sorry for your family experience, my best wishes but I used the word as is the first definition of it. Now it seems to me you are on a mission to put me down. I will do the right thing and stop conversing with you about this. :nonono2:

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Back to topic: Here's the link:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/12/03/sports/sports02.txt

Love this paragraph:

No. 10 Southern Illinois, which prides itself on a physical, no-frills attack, never got untracked against a ferocious Griz defense that has given up only three field goals in two playoff victories, and allowed only one opponent in the last six weeks to score more than 10 points. The Gateway Conference visitors, second in the country in scoring and third in rushing, managed seven first downs - one the entire first half - and 129 yards of total offense. They didn't cross the 50-yard line until deep into the third quarter, and only one of their nine drives penetrated the UM 47.

Also this one:

Meanwhile, Montana's offense didn't commit a turnover and moved the ball up and down the field, controlling the clock behind the strong right arm of quarterback Josh Swogger and another 100-yard game from freshman running back Thomas Brooks-Fletcher.

No turnovers....and there WAS one back that got 100 yards Saturday... ;) ;) ;) Remember that name fellas. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Interestingly enough, I am not overly impressed with Ricky Santos or Arkee Whitlock, neither blew me away...

Santos didn't strike me as though he were making brilliant split decisions and didn't display "unusual" arm strength, don't get me wrong he looked good...

And

Arkee according to my Tivo (a truth syrum device) he broke 3 tackles on 21 carries... He displayed good speed, and a quick start up field, but not as much "Power" as I figured I'd see... Basically when Arkee got hit, he went down... That's not pro caliber (I'm probably wrong but I do have the historical artifact) called Tivo...

Can't argue with Santos' overall performance vs UMASS (his worst performance in 3 years, by the way -- tough to have it happen on regional / Pay per view national TV :( , -- but his overall "body of work" certainly would seem to dictact otherwise. Also, have to take exception to your criticism of his arm strength. Vs UMASS, his TD pass to LeVan into the teeth of a stiff wind while unbalanced and feet not set was a bullet. In any case, many feel that "unusual" arm strength may be most overrated quality in an NFL calibre QB, Timing, accuracy, and instinct mean much more. Only time will tell, though.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Cleets]After reviewing my Tivo'd games:

And, speaking of playing against the best, how about Santos tossing 5 TD passes the week before vs. Hampton? Before you dismiss the MEAC Champs, check out the Top 1-AA draft prospects for 2007:

Bain, Travarous (CB), Hampton 2-3
Bannister, Calvin (CB), Hampton 3
Durant, Justin (ILB), Hampton 4
Robinson, Laurent (WR), Illinois State 4
Ball, David (WR), New Hampshire 4-5
Patrick, Ben (TE), Delaware 4-5
Tolbert, Henry (WR), Grambling State 5
Whitlock, Arkee (RB), Southern Illinois 5-6
Nkang, Chad (SS), Elon 6
Coleman, Alonzo (RB), Hampton 6

As I said in previous post, only time will tell, ....

grizfan86
December 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
I'm the one who started the ralph is a griz hater thread last week, but I have to defend him now. I don't think (in fact I am sure) that he didn't mean molested as in Child Molesting. For crying out loud. Lets keep it to football, and not social issues. No, there wasn't any "molesting" of ISU recievers yesterday since they only passed like 5 times when it mattered, but to turn it into some kind of "Ralph was offensive" dicussion is stupid. I don't know your situation, but I will gladly stand in line, first if possible, and kick the SOBs *** who molested your kid, but Ralph isn't the guy to blame just because he used the word "molested". But, I still think Ralph is a "**** *****"

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=Cleets]After reviewing my Tivo'd games:

And, speaking of playing against the best, how about Santos tossing 5 TD passes the week before vs. Hampton? Before you dismiss the MEAC Champs, check out the Top 1-AA draft prospects for 2007:

Bain, Travarous (CB), Hampton 2-3
Bannister, Calvin (CB), Hampton 3
Durant, Justin (ILB), Hampton 4
Robinson, Laurent (WR), Illinois State 4
Ball, David (WR), New Hampshire 4-5
Patrick, Ben (TE), Delaware 4-5
Tolbert, Henry (WR), Grambling State 5
Whitlock, Arkee (RB), Southern Illinois 5-6
Nkang, Chad (SS), Elon 6
Coleman, Alonzo (RB), Hampton 6

As I said in previous post, only time will tell, ....

Ill take Smalls, Belton, Ihedigbo and Smith over those two CBs from Hampton any day of the week.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
Here's a perfect exampleof why I feel comparing stats between conferences is useless:

Rushing Offense:

Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg. TDs Ydspg
6 Southern Ill. 13 573 3035 5.30 37 233.46

Rushing Defense:
6 Montana 13 424 1269 2.99 9 97.6

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=VT Wildcat Fan53]

Ill take Smalls, Belton, Ihedigbo and Smith over those two CBs from Hampton any day of the week.

As long as Donny Brown is coaching them up on defense, as college players, I probably would, too! But, in terms of raw physical ability at the CFS level and the projection of being able to rise their full gifted potential under the tutelage of the professional level coaches in the NFL, I'm not sure. In fact, I'd love to see those 2 DB's and the MLB (supposedly 4th best LB prospect in the nation at any level -- according to Mel Kiper) coached by Coach Bown. I wouldn't want to play against them, but I'd love to see them perform under that level of coaching and scheming.

That is what makes college football on the field so much fun -- to see kids like the UMASS kids rise so high and exhibit skills where the sum of their collective success is more like greater than their individual parts. That is NOT a knock on UMass kids' ability, just a reaction to the (I am assuming) accurate NFL prospect list posted earlier on this thread.