PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to Chattanooga?

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
And I don't mean which teams, though that will probably affect the travel plans of several AGSers.

Who's planning to go to Chattanooga? Is anyone planning to make the trip no matter which teams are in? I seem to remember one poster who simply buys tickets each year, but doesn't usually go to the game, to show his support for I-AA/CS football.

What was determined regarding team sidelines and "home/away"?

rjg129
December 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
Im working on the details now....im only going if a certain team from Boone happens to go

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
I was talking with a buddy after the game yesterday saying that I'd really like to support CS Football by going to Chatty. And how the championship game could become an event like the Frozen Four where the game sells out before the regular season even begins just because fans want to see the game.

He's not even an AGS lurker so he wouldn't have understood, but I'd love to go just to hang out with AGSers because I've met so many great people these past few years.

Alas, that date so close to Christmas just throws a monkey wrench into any such plans. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

BeauFoster
December 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I will be going if ASU is there, I have already made most of my plans for it. We took 14 last year and the crowd will likely be larger this year. Even if my team wasn't in it, it made for a wonderful trip. The stories that we got from that trip will be around in 50 years. Anyone within 5 hours should try to go at least once, even if your team isn't playing.

YOsef
December 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
It is a great time and I will be going if ASU is there

fencer24
December 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
I was seriously thinking about going if Montana State would be playing Montana, but now intend to save my money for next year. Our team is awesome now, but next year is going to be even better.

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Question for anyone who went from Boone last year: How much should I expect to spend on a trip Chatty?

ButlerGSU
December 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Buck generally buys tickets but does not make the trip. We actually swapped tickets last season when I drove up to watch ASU/UNI.

December 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM
You can order tickets and programs whether you go or not, links here:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82411
I think you can get a ticket and program mailed to you for about $20.

Support the CS and buy whether you are going or not!!

I'll be there again with the rest of the CSN squad (Coulson, Dowd, etc.).

HaveFunKc
December 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
App's in, then I'm there with 9 others. Didn't miss last year and won't miss this year!

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Buck generally buys tickets but does not make the trip. We actually swapped tickets last season when I drove up to watch ASU/UNI.
It's good to know that ticket swapping happens, since I have a pair of tickets on each side of the field. I felt pretty good about buying them early last season, since (as a Baptist seminary student) I am often surrounded by Furman grads.

I won't be able to make the trip unless ASU goes, but I'm happy to share my tickets with anyone who can use them in the event that I cannot.

Question for anyone who went from Boone last year: How much should I expect to spend on a trip Chatty?
I know several students who drove to Chattanooga for the game and back to Boone afterward, so if a hotel is an unwanted cost, it can theoretically be avoided.

asu70
December 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Got my room and waiting to see if App can make it there 2 years in a row.

chiapet9
December 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
my team won't be there....unfortunately. however, i'd love to be there anyway just to support the CS and to see the game anyway (I was only able to go to ONE game this year...:bawling: ) i wouldn't make the trip on my own though - its a good nine hours from where i am in eastern VA. maybe next year....

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
IF the griz make it i'll be there for sure.

McNeese75
December 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
I was seriously thinking about going if Montana State would be playing Montana, but now intend to save my money for next year. Our team is awesome now, but next year is going to be even better.

: smh : Very foolish to pass on a possible trip this year in anticipation of another next year. Things happen and one little slip and there will be no trip :nod:

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
my team won't be there....unfortunately. however, i'd love to be there anyway just to support the CS and to see the game anyway (I was only able to go to ONE game this year...:bawling: ) i wouldn't make the trip on my own though - its a good nine hours from where i am in eastern VA. maybe next year....
I can't imagine making the trip from Richmond in one fell swoop. All my family is from just down the mountain from Boone, so I drive frome here to there on Thursday, then from there to Chattanooga on friday morning. Both drives are about 5 hours.

Audiobooks to the rescue.

Griswold
December 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Living in Nashville, I'll be there no matter who's planning. :thumbsup:

Appguy
December 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
I luckily have a mom living 15 min from chattanooga

chiapet9
December 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
I can't imagine making the trip from Richmond in one fell swoop. All my family is from just down the mountain from Boone, so I drive frome here to there on Thursday, then from there to Chattanooga on friday morning. Both drives are about 5 hours.

two years ago my two friends and i drove straight from the richmond area to chatty in one straight shot. we left really early on friday - tailgated - went to the game - after partied - slept for all of 3 hours - drove back to VA. hahaha...it was ridiculous...not recommended....but it was definitely WORTH IT :-)

chiapet9
December 3rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
I luckily have a mom living 15 min from chattanooga

how many mom's do you have?

Grizo406
December 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
If the Griz make it to Chattanooga, I'll be there.

I think this is just another reason to root for the Griz...You go to the National Championship game, you can have your picture taken with the Grizo!

I'll be bringing a "few" friends.

December 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
... i wouldn't make the trip on my own though - its a good nine hours from where i am in eastern VA. maybe next year....It's 12 hours from Chicago and I drove both ways in one shot each... leave at 8 am and get there by 10 pm. YSU is nine hours and I did the same thing. I guess if you live in this part of the country you're used to driving.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
two years ago my two friends and i drove straight from the richmond area to chatty in one straight shot. we left really early on friday - tailgated - went to the game - after partied - slept for all of 3 hours - drove back to VA. hahaha...it was ridiculous...not recommended....but it was definitely WORTH IT :-)
I drove 15 hours one-way to see the Yankees and Red Sox at Fenway Park, and again to see the Cardinals play the Cubs at Wrigley Field. I can do the marathon road-trip thing, but if I'm going to Western NC or Eastern TN, I break the trip into segments by visiting family.

Plus, on my way to Chatty I have to swing by the Boone area and pick up my brother.

Appguy
December 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
how many mom's do you have?

One actual, one step..my actual mom lives there

chiapet9
December 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
I drove 15 hours one-way to see the Yankees and Red Sox at Fenway Park, and again to see the Cardinals play the Cubs at Wrigley Field. I can do the marathon road-trip thing, but if I'm going to Western NC or Eastern TN, I break the trip into segments by visiting family.

Plus, on my way to Chatty I have to swing by the Boone area and pick up my brother.

ahh...that adds time to the trip. its really a straight shot from VA once you get on 81....not much too it. i really wish i had a good reason to go this year :(

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
i and my whole family will be there assuming asu is also i am a student from atlanta so the 1.5 hour drive was very workable last year to go up and come back same day. hopefully i will get to do it again this year.

griz&beer
December 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
If the Griz go my Gang will go. We have some business to do down there.

ASU Kep
December 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Short drive from Atlanta, I'll be there no matter who's playing (obviously, I'd be a lot happier and with a larger crowd if App makes it).

Green26
December 4th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I booked for 4 of my family last week, subject to Montana going. Keeping my finger crossed.

griz&beer
December 4th, 2006, 12:54 AM
If the Griz go my Gang will go. We have some business to do down there.

griz&beer
December 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
We will drive down. It is over 38 hours.

chattanoogamocs
December 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I will be there no matter what! :)

(of course, I can see the lights of the stadium from the back of my home)

BeauFoster
December 4th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I will be there no matter what! :)

(of course, I can see the lights of the stadium from the back of my home)

We met a bunch of "locals" last year who were great. They gave us info on where to get into trouble after the game and many were also there to cheer on their SoCon brethren. Hope to see you in a few weeks! :hurray:

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I booked for 4 of my family last week, subject to Montana going. Keeping my finger crossed.
Let me guess...M-80 accident?

CSUBUCDAD
December 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Depends on how bad D1B really wants to meet me

MYTAPPY
December 4th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I hope to be cheering on my Apps like I did last year. Most of my plans are solidified, just need to beat YSU. For anyone thinking on going, I suggest arriving on Thursday and leave Saturday. I arrived on Thurs. last year and that way you can go out bar hoping and sleep in before heading to tailgate on Friday. Then Friday night you can celebrate your teams triumph and not have to worry about heading home until the next morning.
Go APPS!!!

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I will not be there, even if ASU is. My father is having major back surgery two days prior to that game, and family comes first. I should be able to watch the game at least.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I will not be there, even if ASU is. My father is having major back surgery two days prior to that game, and family comes first. I should be able to watch the game at least.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad! Get the nurses and docs watching the game too!!:hurray:

psc2445
December 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
booked a room for 4 at the Marriot near the convention center. will not make it unless ASU is in it. However, if you are on the fence about going i can tell you chattanooga was a great town to have a good time in for a few days. great bars, live music and lots of touristy stuff to do during the days

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Work is keeping me from going :(

If it weren't for work, I would go regardless who wins YSU-ASU because both teams are fun to watch. Plus ASU has some of the best fans in the CS.

BeauFoster
December 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Good luck to your father, B&G. We will be thinking of you and your family.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Work is keeping me from going :(

If it weren't for work, I would go regardless who wins YSU-ASU because both teams are fun to watch. Plus ASU has some of the best fans in the CS.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Bummer that you cannot go to the game. If you were there, I would personally buy you a beer!! Good luck to YSU and its fine fans.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
If ASU is there again I really hope we can sell out the entire stadium! We were close last year.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Prayers, and best wishes on a speedy recovery for your father, Black And Gold!

D1B
December 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Depends on how bad D1B really wants to meet me

Oh, I'll be there. :nod:

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM

In 2004 we did the trip in two days down and one day coming back. Since my son is a MRD, we did Richmond to Harrisonburg to drop him off, and then drove a few hours Thursday evening. It made the drive in on Friday nice.....and coming back was even better.....because we were the Champions!!!!!!!

dungeonjoe
December 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM
That Saturday following is usually a family Christmas gathering. I am already telling the in-laws about 2007. Next year, whether the terriers are in it or not I will be in Chatty (will it still be there?)

GrizDen
December 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
That Saturday following is usually a family Christmas gathering. I am already telling the in-laws about 2007. Next year, whether the terriers are in it or not I will be in Chatty (will it still be there?)

After the 2004 Championship game and the "sod fest" that it became in the second half, the city of Chatty stepped up to put in a fancy new sprinTurf (or something like that). To my knowledge, the Championship game will be in Chattanooga for awhile.

This may be discussion for another thread, but I'd like to see the Championship game rotate in location. I know...I know, Tennessee is a great central location for the majority of the teams in the FCS, but how about Nashville instead of Chatt? They have a bigger airport and a whole heckuva lot more to do in the city.

Other ideas for locations to host the game:
4 schools with the best stadiums and history in FCS: University of Delaware, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, and University of Montana.

Cal-Poly or UC Davis (both have shiny new stadiums and the players get to go to sunny Cal).

Someplace in Texas?? It's got both central location and warmer weather during December. Which University in the FCS has the best stadium and ease of travel to get to in Texas?

Anyone else open to this?

dungeonjoe
December 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM
After the 2004 Championship game and the "sod fest" that it became in the second half, the city of Chatty stepped up to put in a fancy new sprinTurf (or something like that). To my knowledge, the Championship game will be in Chattanooga for awhile.

This may be discussion for another thread, but I'd like to see the Championship game rotate in location. I know...I know, Tennessee is a great central location for the majority of the teams in the FCS, but how about Nashville instead of Chatt? They have a bigger airport and a whole heckuva lot more to do in the city.

Other ideas for locations to host the game:
4 schools with the best stadiums and history in FCS: University of Delaware, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, and University of Montana.

Cal-Poly or UC Davis (both have shiny new stadiums and the players get to go to sunny Cal).

Someplace in Texas?? It's got both central location and warmer weather during December. Which University in the FCS has the best stadium and ease of travel to get to in Texas?

Anyone else open to this?

naaa... I like Chatty;)

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Oh, I'll be there. :nod:

I wouldn't doubt this for a nano-second, in any way, shape, or form.