PDA

View Full Version : How Hard is Startup College Football?

BearDownMU
September 24th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Since Mercer is only in its third year of football, there has been a lot of discussion among our fans/alums about what reasonable expectations should be regarding winning/competing given our "age". We had one year in the non-scholarship Pioneer League before we were very fortunate that moves/shift created an opening in the Southern Conference so we could move to scholarship football is just Year 2 of our existence. I say lucky because I think the SoCon is a natural fit for us based on type of school, location, some prior historical rivalries, and the level of competition we hope to reach.

As an exercise, I wanted to see just how hard it is to start a program, and what the first few years results looked like. To the best of my ability, I looked up all the schools I could find that started programs between 2008 and 2012 and compiled their wins/losses and winning percentage. I thought the results were really interesting and, as one would imagine, it's hard to start a program and be really successful quickly. Would be really interested in everyone's thoughts.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21386&stc=1

BEAR
September 24th, 2015, 11:09 AM
One of those schools on that list, Hendrix College in Conway..has a GREAT story!
(Around the 9:30 mark they talk about their approach to starting up the program )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5OKUSAAsnE

http://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/hendrix-college-receives-26-million-bequest

Hendrix College (https://www.hendrix.edu/) in Conway, Arkansas, has announced a $26 million gift from the estate of Mary Ann Dawkins of Little Rock.
The largest gift in the college's history will support scholarships, promote college affordability, and be used to launch a fundraising campaign for a new welcome center at the northeast corner of campus. With Dawkins' gift, the Hendrix endowment has surpassed $200 million for the first time in the school's history.

Toby
September 24th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Old Dominion probably wins the most impressive award.

Pinnum
September 24th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks for this. It is interesting to see but I think winning percentages alone are a poor metric.

I think a better metric would be looking at national standing or stature within the conference. Both of these metrics are really how a program is judged. There is a lot of diversity in scheduling OOC.

BearDownMU
September 24th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks for this. It is interesting to see but I think winning percentages alone are a poor metric.

I think a better metric would be looking at national standing or stature within the conference. Both of these metrics are really how a program is judged. There is a lot of diversity in scheduling OOC.

Good points and I totally agree. Given I had to manually produce this list, it was the "quickest and easiest" even though it is a bit dirty.

Go Green
September 24th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Old Dominion probably wins the most impressive award.

If they continue to improve, I wonder if George Mason will give it a try.

Daytripper
September 24th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Who is that Colorado State-Pueblo at the top of that list? I haven't heard of them before...xeyebrowx

WileECoyote06
September 24th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Who is that Colorado State-Pueblo at the top of that list? I haven't heard of them before...xeyebrowx

xlolx
Well at least yall were defeated by a division champion.

McNeese75
September 24th, 2015, 01:54 PM

I think that is either a 6-man football or Rugy team. Seems I have heard of them before :D

BearDownMU
September 24th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I really wish I understood the Colorado State-Pueblo jokes. xconfusedx

BEAR
September 24th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I really wish I understood the Colorado State-Pueblo jokes. xconfusedx

Sat, Sep 13
Colorado State-Pueblo (Bearkat Family Weekend)
DII 2
Huntsville
21 - 47 (L) (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209651015)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 24th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I can speak to ODU since I live in Norfolk. ODU was successful in the CAA because they hired Bobby Wilder, a coach who knew the CAA and knew it really well. They also managed to schedule teams their first few years that were relatively easy to beat. Then they managed to land Taylor Heinicke, who would later go on to become to ODU what Armanti Edwards was to Appalachian State and Peyton Manning was to UT (a certified stud). Heinicke was one of the reasons ODU managed to score a bid to Conference USA. Yes, ODU experienced some growing pains when they moved to FBS the first couple of years they got in but I believe in time they will be successful in CUSA. Wilder's success at ODU was the reason I nominated him to be the next head coach at Tennessee.

Mercer was successful so far because they hired Bobby Lamb, a coach who knew how to run a successful program at Furman. They have not been able to luck out on getting a certified stud at QB but I believe in time Mercer will compete for a SoCon championship soon.

As to ETSU, I was really hoping they would get 6-8 wins this year but now I am thinking six wins would be the ceiling. If we played a full conference schedule this year, we would be lucky to win one conference game (two the following year). I am not sure Torbush is able to take ETSU to a conference title within five years. I really hope ETSU hires as their next head coach someone who knows how to run a successful program (see Jamey Chadwell). The bright side, if we win six games this year, we will be more successful this year than a number of relative newbies have been since they have started/restarted football.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I can speak to ODU since I live in Norfolk. ODU was successful in the CAA because they hired Bobby Wilder, a coach who knew the CAA and knew it really well. They also managed to schedule teams their first few years that were relatively easy to beat. Then they managed to land Taylor Heinicke, who would later go on to become to ODU what Armanti Edwards was to Appalachian State and Peyton Manning was to UT (a certified stud). Heinicke was one of the reasons ODU managed to score a bid to Conference USA. Yes, ODU experienced some growing pains when they moved to FBS the first couple of years they got in but I believe in time they will be successful in CUSA. Wilder's success at ODU was the reason I nominated him to be the next head coach at Tennessee.

Mercer was successful so far because they hired Bobby Lamb, a coach who knew how to run a successful program at Furman. They have not been able to luck out on getting a certified stud at QB but I believe in time Mercer will compete for a SoCon championship soon.

As to ETSU, I was really hoping they would get 6-8 wins this year but now I am thinking six wins would be the ceiling. If we played a full conference schedule this year, we would be lucky to win one conference game (two the following year). I am not sure Torbush is able to take ETSU to a conference title within five years. I really hope ETSU hires as their next head coach someone who knows how to run a successful program (see Jamey Chadwell). The bright side, if we win six games this year, we will be more successful this year than a number of relative newbies have been since they have started/restarted football.

Mercer, I think, has done a lot right.

They set aside a lot of money, built a nice stadium, got a well known head coach, and hit the ground running hard. I think they have also been smart with the schedule. The schedule has allowed them to gradually step up in difficulty, while still guaranteeing a lot of wins that they can promote to the fans and recruits.

Lamb's quest for a QB is an interesting point. He seemed for years to try and land a true spread QB to Furman. He found some success with FBS transfers, but was never really able to recruit and develop the position. Granted, he landed some guys with promise, but for one reason or another they never panned out. Again, just my opinion.

bonarae
September 24th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Kidding aside, there is a lot of debate on how the programs will measure up in time - but for how long? 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years?

I think ETSU rushed some things (e.g. the stadium hasn't been built yet), that's why they have started 0-3.

rokamortis
September 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
You should have went back to 2003, but of course I'm biased since that's when Coastal started football.

Coastal did it with hiring a coach who was a proven winner at DII and had a tremendous personality and earlier brought in an AD who had football experience. Our president at the time was friends with Fisher Deberry and he recommended David Bennett as a coach and he was a pretty good hire. We had some growing pains along the way, like practice fields the first year that had fire ant beds, going to practice in pickup trucks, etc but there was a determination and blue collar work ethic. Georgia Southern was a model program.We obviously didn't do as well as GS but had an at-large bid in 2006 and nearly had one in 2005. We then had some other issues but are back on track with a new coach.

ODU hired away one of our assistant ADs that helped build the program and I think was a key piece to ODU's success.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 25th, 2015, 08:40 AM
You should have went back to 2003, but of course I'm biased since that's when Coastal started football.

Coastal did it with hiring a coach who was a proven winner at DII and had a tremendous personality and earlier brought in an AD who had football experience. Our president at the time was friends with Fisher Deberry and he recommended David Bennett as a coach and he was a pretty good hire. We had some growing pains along the way, like practice fields the first year that had fire ant beds, going to practice in pickup trucks, etc but there was a determination and blue collar work ethic. Georgia Southern was a model program.We obviously didn't do as well as GS but had an at-large bid in 2006 and nearly had one in 2005. We then had some other issues but are back on track with a new coach.

ODU hired away one of our assistant ADs that helped build the program and I think was a key piece to ODU's success.

And now you parlayed that into membership into the Sun Belt conference. Congratulations on moving up to the Sun Belt.

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2015, 09:08 AM
And now you parlayed that into membership into the Sun Belt conference. Congratulations on moving up to the Sun Belt.

xeyebrowx xlolx

citdog
September 25th, 2015, 09:57 AM

The sun belch board must be down. You should keep your revolution over there. We are GLAD to be rid of the mountain gayboys, pig's ass, and usc-coastal.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2015, 10:32 AM

I'd be surprised if ETSU got to 4 wins this year and wins a socon game before 2018.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 25th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Misericordia plays in my current college's conference. They are putrid and I know so because we whipped them at their field and my school's team is not good.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 25th, 2015, 01:12 PM
The sun belch board must be down. You should keep your revolution over there. We are GLAD to be rid of the mountain gayboys, pig's ass, and usc-coastal.

Coastal never was in the SoCon. But at least you'll be able to avenge that 16-13 loss you suffered against us when we come back to the SoCon next year (unless we grow a pair and starting winning games left and right).

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I'd be surprised if ETSU got to 4 wins this year and wins a socon game before 2018.

Oh come on now, the season is young and I like ETSU's chances of winning at least four this year. Winning a conference game, I will still be surprised if we win two or more next year (we might get lucky and win one, but I'm not betting on it).

Toby
September 25th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Oh come on now, the season is young and I like ETSU's chances of winning at least four this year. Winning a conference game, I will still be surprised if we win two or more next year (we might get lucky and win one, but I'm not betting on it).

Massey ratings has ETSU winning two games this year. Could be wrong. I hope it is wrong (except for one :) ) The SoCon needs ETSU to ramp up quickly. Mercer too for that matter.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2321&s=279541

Toby
September 25th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Kidding aside, there is a lot of debate on how the programs will measure up in time - but for how long? 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years?

I think ETSU rushed some things (e.g. the stadium hasn't been built yet), that's why they have started 0-3.

Maybe, but you gotta jump when the chance presents itself.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM

Mercer won 1 game in the weakest SoCon top to bottom in recent memory. Mercer was a long way ahead of where ETSU is now.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Massey ratings has ETSU winning two games this year. Could be wrong. I hope it is wrong (except for one :) ) The SoCon needs ETSU to ramp up quickly. Mercer too for that matter.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2321&s=279541

Hey, Massey had Furman at only 8% chance of winning against UCF.

BearDownMU
September 25th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Hey, Massey had Furman at only 8% chance of winning against UCF.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21389&stc=1

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Furman's only slightly less of a favorite against VMI.

Hopefully lightning only strikes once.

BearDownMU
September 25th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Furman's only slightly less of a favorite against VMI.

Hopefully lightning only strikes once.

If Trey Robinson turns in a game like he did last week, I like your chances.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2015, 03:46 PM
If Trey Robinson turns in a game like he did last week, I like your chances.

The man is a freak.

Missed a lot of time last season, so I had sort of forgotten that until last Saturday. I think he spent a lot of time out with mono. I also had forgotten that he played the early part of the year with his hand in a cast. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/photos/0005/index

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2015, 12:57 AM
The man is a freak.

Missed a lot of time last season, so I had sort of forgotten that until last Saturday. I think he spent a lot of time out with mono. I also had forgotten that he played the early part of the year with his hand in a cast. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/photos/0005/index

Please stop posting links to obscene pictures within your posts. I had to wash my eyes out with lye after accidentally viewing this smut!

Baldy
September 26th, 2015, 04:39 AM
48-13 xlolx

citdog
September 26th, 2015, 10:36 AM
48-13 xlolx

85-63 ONLY way you can whip us like that. The blue uniform is fitting because you are now the yankees.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Please stop posting links to obscene pictures within your posts. I had to wash my eyes out with lye after accidentally viewing this smut!

I had intended only to link to the picture of Robinson. I realize now that did not happen.

Laker
September 27th, 2015, 08:08 AM

Ya, the Mavs found out the hard way in the D2 championship game last December how tough that defense was. It was a sad day.

Engineer86
September 27th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Four pages and not one mention of the Patriot League, Loyola or BU. Man the PL is way down this year! :D

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I'm hardily glad to see ETSU reinstate their football program and hope they are successful when not playing my Red Flash, but I have no idea why my Red Flash agreed to play at ETSU, especially when the Buccaneers are playing at Robert Morris. It is probably a "helping" deal for ETSU, which is silly for us. We need to worry about ourselves first.

SeattleBobcat
September 27th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I'm hardily glad to see ETSU reinstate their football program and hope they have successful when not playing my Red Flash, but I have no idea why my Red Flash agreed to play at ETSU, especially when the Buccaneers are playing at Robert Morris. It is probably a "helping" deal for ETSU, which is silly for us. We need to worry about ourselves first.

My Bobcat's took them after waiting months for Jacksonville state to sign a contract. They better bring a fleet of ambulances to that game.

bonarae
September 27th, 2015, 07:29 PM
As for ETSU, they are really off to an awful start, with bad losses to a college football first-timer and TWO D-III teams. Glad my other teams are still undefeated.

Baldy
September 28th, 2015, 03:53 AM
The blue uniform is fitting because you are now the yankees.
i.e. - the winners. xlolx