PDA

View Full Version : Does SOS factor.........?

knucklehead
September 23rd, 2015, 05:22 PM
I just wondered if SOS took some odd things into account.

Thanks to JMU bailing to play SMU, Liberty has 4 road games in a row, starting in Carbondale. Do they look at that?

The other one is the fact that starting with UM last week, Liberty plays 4 straight opponents have a Bye week before playing LU. I doubt they look at this, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, does the Playoff Committee look at this stuff? Hopefully LU won't need the help, but it might be good if they stumble.

Any other teams have these crazy schedule deals?

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM
I am going with...

Yes
No
Yes

(but I will let others give a more detailed explanation)

jacksfan29
September 23rd, 2015, 05:32 PM
SOS is based on the quality of opponents. I think Liberty is doing the best with what they can. Montana and SIU are solid OOC games. The problem, once you get into your conference your SOS dives till you hit Coastal at the end of the year.

Thanks to JMU bailing to play SMU, Liberty has 4 road games in a row, starting in Carbondale. Do they look at that?

The other one is the fact that starting with UM last week, Liberty plays 4 straight opponents have a Bye week before playing LU. I doubt they look at this, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, does the Playoff Committee look at this stuff? Hopefully LU won't need the help, but it might be good if they stumble.

JayJ79
September 23rd, 2015, 05:37 PM
UNI has 4 games of a 5-game stretch on the road, with 3 of those games against top-six ranked teams (@ #6 ILS, @ #2 NDSU, and @ #4 SDSU) and the 4th being ranked #15 (@Cal Poly)

jmrepak
September 23rd, 2015, 05:40 PM
SOS is based on the quality of opponents. I think Liberty is doing the best with what they can. Montana and SIU are solid OOC games. The problem, once you get into your conference your SOS dives till you hit Coastal at the end of the year.
They've gotten a bump from CSU the last few years as well, but their schedule sucks this year with a D2 and 2 FBS games. It would be different if they were competitive with Troy but they weren't and they don't stand a chance against 'Bama. That may be the biggest spread of the year.
Liberty has a good schedule though, and they're going to need after losing at home to Coastal xnodx

jmrepak
September 23rd, 2015, 05:42 PM

We have a weird schedule as well but the other way. Away, away, home X4, bye, away, away, home, home, and away.

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2015, 05:57 PM
To go back to the original question...I do think the committee takes into consideration road schedules, road wins, etc.

(no matter who the competition, a road win is obviously tougher than a home win)

kalm
September 23rd, 2015, 06:03 PM
To go back to the original question...I do think the committee takes into consideration road schedules, road wins, etc.

(no matter who the competition, a road win is obviously tougher than a home win)

so a road win at Northern Colorado is tougher than a home win against Montana State?

knucklehead
September 23rd, 2015, 06:06 PM
We have a weird schedule as well but the other way. Away, away, home X4, bye, away, away, home, home, and away loss in front of National TV and a huge crowd of way more than 10K HA

FIFY! All in fun.

- - - Updated - - -

UNI has 4 games of a 5-game stretch on the road, with 3 of those games against top-six ranked teams (@ #6 ILS, @ #2 NDSU, and @ #4 SDSU) and the 4th being ranked #15 (@Cal Poly)

BRUTAL!

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
so a road win at Northern Colorado is tougher than a home win against Montana State?

No, but a road win over Northern Colorado is tougher than a home win over Northern Colorado.

Just like Chattanooga beating Samford on the road last weekend is more impressive than beating them at Finley.

taper
September 23rd, 2015, 07:18 PM
SOS is definitely a factor, in 2012 10-1 Lehigh was left out. Their only loss was to conference winner Colgate, who lost to 1-10 South Dakota. That's probably the most extreme example in recent times.

The committee has also stated that late season games are more important than early ones. Probably why ranked 2013 8-4 Youngstown was left out. 3 conference losses to end the year, though they were to the eventual champs, an at-large and playoff game winner, and a tough rival.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2015, 10:29 PM
SOS is simply analytics. It's an attempt to try to use data points to determine how tough a team's schedule is. Unfortunately in football there are so few data points it is very easy to game the analytics to make your "schedule strength" look great.

Nothing is better for your "schedule strength" than having one or more middle-of-the-pack FCS teams beat FBS teams, no matter how crummy or shady the defeated FBS teams are. This is why I can say this early that the Big Sky will most likely have three or four at-large teams. Not because they're the most worthy, but because their "schedule strength" would be considered higher, no matter that not every Big Sky team plays another. I'll go out on a limb and say the Big Sky will have more at-larges than the MVFC.

If Liberty doesn't win the Big South, will I be surprised when Montana gets a home playoff game and Liberty sits at home. Not at all. "Schedule strength" said that way back in September.

knucklehead
September 24th, 2015, 06:23 AM
So, let's say LU is 9-2 and the 2 kisses are WVU and CCU , are you saying they are one the outside of the 24 team field? No way. Going to beat CCU anyways so it's ok.

JayJ79
September 24th, 2015, 12:12 PM
So, let's say LU is 9-2 and the 2 kisses are WVU and CCU , are you saying they are one the outside of the 24 team field? No way. Going to beat CCU anyways so it's ok.

kisses? wouldn't that constitute an honor code violation?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2015, 12:53 PM
So, let's say LU is 9-2 and the 2 kisses are WVU and CCU , are you saying they are one the outside of the 24 team field?

Yes. You heard it here first.

jsnow84
September 24th, 2015, 10:23 PM
We have a weird schedule as well but the other way. Away, away, home X4, bye, away, away, home, home, and away.

Yes, but they are pretty much all cupcakes. Nothing against CCU specifically, just don't know how anyone can be ranked highly with that schedule. Liberty is your toughest game of the year. Pretty weak.

jmrepak
September 24th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Yes, but they are pretty much all cupcakes. Nothing against CCU specifically, just don't know how anyone can be ranked highly with that schedule. Liberty is your toughest game of the year. Pretty weak.
Bryant was respectable last year, and is still top 35 coming into the game. WIU was top 30 and is 31 now. Furman is top 30 after beating an FBS and has the potential to make real noise in the SoCon if they keep healthy, we curb stomped SC St who could still rise into the lower tier of the top 35 depending on whether or not they win the MEAC and how they play v. Furman this weekend, Liberty is top 10 and CSU was regarded pretty well for 2 years , but went right back to a crap schedule that will result in decent revenue, but not much respect. I'd say we did fairly well with OOC scheduling with the exception of Alabama A&M (who is absolutely a cupcake for homecoming) and while it's not the best schedule in the world, it's definitely not full of cupcakes.

jsnow84
September 25th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Bryant was respectable last year, and is still top 35 coming into the game. WIU was top 30 and is 31 now. Furman is top 30 after beating an FBS and has the potential to make real noise in the SoCon if they keep healthy, we curb stomped SC St who could still rise into the lower tier of the top 35 depending on whether or not they win the MEAC and how they play v. Furman this weekend, Liberty is top 10 and CSU was regarded pretty well for 2 years , but went right back to a crap schedule that will result in decent revenue, but not much respect. I'd say we did fairly well with OOC scheduling with the exception of Alabama A&M (who is absolutely a cupcake for homecoming) and while it's not the best schedule in the world, it's definitely not full of cupcakes.

Nice spin, but still a schedule of cupcakes. I don't see an easier schedule in the current top 15-20 teams. Your coach is on record as not wanting to play a tough OOC schedule, so it is intentional. You won't have to worry about it next year in any event. The Chants will step up to FBS, never to be heard from again. I wish you good luck................... you are going to need it, not to mention will have to double your average attendance to meet FBS standards. Seriously, I hope you do well, just don't see it happening. Your fan support is very weak for a team in the top 10 every year. Don't see it improving at all during the transition years. Can it be revived significantly once you begin to play a SBC schedule? I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Congratulations on the move to FBS, just too much too soon in my very humble opinion.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Nice spin, but still a schedule of cupcakes. Your coach is on record as not wanting to play a tough OOC schedule, so it is intentional. We won't have to worry about it next year in any event. The Chants will step up to FBS, never to be heard from again. I wish you good luck................... you are going to need it, not to mention will have to double your average attendance to meet FBS standards.

Do you have a link? I know he is on record against playing FBS games, but not opposed to tough FCS games.

jsnow84
September 25th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Do you have a link? I know he is on record against playing FBS games, but not opposed to tough FCS games.

No, I do not have a link, at least one I am not going to look up. You are correct, he specifically mentioned FBS teams, but based on the schedules for the last two years, I don't think he needs to say anything else. It is pretty evident. Again, I am not going directly after CCU. It would be ANY school, that has such high rankings, playing such a weak schedule. If CCU was ranked 8-15 at this juncture in the season, I would be silent. Good school, good program, just a very weak schedule.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2015, 01:10 AM
No, I do not have a link, at least one I am not going to look up. You are correct, he specifically mentioned FBS teams, but based on the schedules for the last two years, I don't think he needs to say anything else. It is pretty evident. Again, I am not going directly after CCU. It would be ANY school, that has such high rankings, playing such a weak schedule. If CCU was ranked 8-15 at this juncture in the season, I would be silent. Good school, good program, just a very weak schedule.

One reason for Coastals high ranking is their playoff success the last couple years. They played the eventual champs tough on the road last year. I know this is a new year, but programs generally don't fall far from the previous season excluding the CAA this year.

For me, Coastal will remain high if they get through their schedule with ease. If they struggle against bad teams they will drop even if they are Ws. Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against that program.

rokamortis
September 25th, 2015, 01:13 AM

All that he's ever said was not to play FBS.

rokamortis
September 25th, 2015, 01:22 AM
One reason for Coastals high ranking is their playoff success the last couple years. They played the eventual champs tough on the road last year. I know this is a new year, but programs generally don't fall far from the previous season excluding the CAA this year.

For me, Coastal will remain high if they get through their schedule with ease. If they struggle against bad teams they will drop even if they are Ws. Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against that program.

The Liberty fans like to knock our schedule. It is true that it doesn't have a sexy SOS, but we also don't put a slaughterhouse game on there to try and pump it up. I think our schedule this year will actually end up looking pretty decent with Furman and WIU being respectable clubs. Looking at the low end of both teams, at least according to Massey (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11590) Bryant is rated over Georgia State and Alabama A&M is rated over Delaware State.

I think proof is in the pudding. Liberty did beat us last year at home, so all the respect to them. But, like you said, we did well in the playoffs considering having to go to Fargo, again, and gave the Bison one of their better games.

Of course, we went out to Montana a couple of years back and beat them in a near impossible place to win as well in a record cold temperature.

So again, Liberty fans like jsnow84 like to knock our schedule, and some of it is warranted, but much of it isn't - especially when you look at the season as a whole. Look at Massey's SOS ratings: Coastal is 40, Liberty 29, NDSU 41, and Chattanooga 42. James Madison has 102. All in all we are in good company. http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605

jmrepak
September 25th, 2015, 06:08 AM
The Liberty fans like to knock our schedule. It is true that it doesn't have a sexy SOS, but we also don't put a slaughterhouse game on there to try and pump it up. I think our schedule this year will actually end up looking pretty decent with Furman and WIU being respectable clubs. Looking at the low end of both teams, at least according to Massey (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11590) Bryant is rated over Georgia State and Alabama A&M is rated over Delaware State.

I think proof is in the pudding. Liberty did beat us last year at home, so all the respect to them. But, like you said, we did well in the playoffs considering having to go to Fargo, again, and gave the Bison one of their better games.

Of course, we went out to Montana a couple of years back and beat them in a near impossible place to win as well in a record cold temperature.

So again, Liberty fans like jsnow84 like to knock our schedule, and some of it is warranted, but much of it isn't - especially when you look at the season as a whole. Look at Massey's SOS ratings: Coastal is 40, Liberty 29, NDSU 41, and Chattanooga 42. James Madison has 102. All in all we are in good company. http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605
Thanks for the data Rok. I think that is pretty telling.

Jsnow is a troll anyway. He's posted all of 25 times and 14 of those are either swipes at Coastal or how Liberty was more ready for the SBC. He drank the whole pitcher of the rivalry kool-aid.

jsnow84
September 25th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the data Rok. I think that is pretty telling.

Jsnow is a troll anyway. He's posted all of 25 times and 14 of those are either swipes at Coastal or how Liberty was more ready for the SBC. He drank the whole pitcher of the rivalry kool-aid.

I am not a Liberty fan by any measure. I am a huge football fan and have started following FCS football pretty close, several years ago. I am a USC fan if I had to pick my favorite team, I am from LA, thus my handle jsnow84. Makes no difference to me, I just don't understand ANYONE playing such a weak schedule and getting high rankings, regardless if their name is CCU, NDSU, Montana, NIU, Villanove, Liberty,etc. Anyway CCU fans, enjoy you last year in FCS, hope you do well. Don't overlook Bryant looking ahead to a strong A&M team. xrolleyesx

tomq04
September 25th, 2015, 11:25 AM

That's ridiculous, no one is knocking NDSU's SoS.

tribe_pride
September 25th, 2015, 11:36 AM

Way too early to be looking at SoS computer ratings. Teams have only played 2 or 3 games so the ratings are easily manipulated by 1 or 2 games. Not saying anything about your schedule specifically just that 1 really easy or hard game early on can make SOS ratings now look very different than the end of the season

jmrepak
September 25th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I am not a Liberty fan by any measure. I am a huge football fan and have started following FCS football pretty close, several years ago. I am a USC fan if I had to pick my favorite team, I am from LA, thus my handle jsnow84. Makes no difference to me, I just don't understand ANYONE playing such a weak schedule and getting high rankings, regardless if their name is CCU, NDSU, Montana, NIU, Villanove, Liberty,etc. Anyway CCU fans, enjoy you last year in FCS, hope you do well. Don't overlook Bryant looking ahead to a strong A&M team. xrolleyesx
Say what you like, but your post activity shows something a little different.

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 02:52 PM
- - - Updated - - -

edit

jsnow84
September 25th, 2015, 02:54 PM
That's ridiculous, no one is knocking NDSU's SoS.

I am not either, just trying to say that the name of the school doesn't matter. All of the schools I mentioned have a solid SoS.

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I am not either, just trying to say that the name of the school doesn't matter. All of the schools I mentioned have a solid SoS.
NIU, outside of Ohio State, actually has a pretty bad SoS

Why don't you use your kendradad name here?

Bison56
September 25th, 2015, 03:29 PM
NIU, outside of Ohio State, actually has a pretty bad SoS

Why don't you use your kendradad name here?

I thought he was a VMI fan?

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I thought he was a VMI fan?
He is. He used a VMI avatar and "Fan on" on CS for the last few years until the last week or so

He likes to lie and hide it though. I'd be ashamed to be a VMI fan as well.

thebootfitter
September 25th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Look at Massey's SOS ratings: Coastal is 40, Liberty 29, NDSU 41, and Chattanooga 42. James Madison has 102. All in all we are in good company. http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605
Massey's SOS only takes into account the games that have been played thus far. These will change significantly once conference play begins. I don't think Coastal and NDSU will be in the same SOS ballpark at the end of the year according to Massey's ratings.

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 04:04 PM
COMING UP (CURRENT AGS RANKING) for NDSU

@ SDSU(#4 in the AGS poll and the second most #1 votes)
vs UNI (#5 in the AGS poll)
vs USD (#39 in the AGS poll)
@ ISUb (#24 in the AGS poll)
@ SIU (MAY KNOCK OFF A TOP 10 LIBERTY TEAM...MAYBE?)
vs WIU ((#31 in the AGS poll)
@ YSU (#16 in the AGS poll)
vs MSU (downright awful)

Yup, what a dog **** schedule that is.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Yes. You heard it here first.

No way.

CasualFan
September 25th, 2015, 06:09 PM
That's the nice thing about 24 team playoffs. Get in, prove it on the field. Our first few years in the playoffs, CCU didn't. At least Liberty is 0.500 in playoff games, CCU still can't say that. Win in the playoffs again and the respect OOC will come. The Big South needs a couple more years like last year before it gets taken seriously.