6. Appalachian St. 13.8
16. Montana 16.9
38. Youngstown St. 21.1
Total Defense Team Yds Per game
8. Montana 261.67
9. Massachusetts 264.42
11. Appalachian St. 266.33
67. Youngstown St. 346.17

(the numbers to the left of each of the school names denotes national ranking as of Nov. 25th)

Playoff Games
Scoring Defense Team Pts Against Per Game
Montana 4.5
Massachusetts 15.5
Appalachian St. 22.5
Youngstown St. 26

Scoring Offense Team Pts Per Game
Appalachian St. 41.5
Youngstown St. 31.5
Massachusetts 29.5
Montana 25.5

GO APPSTATE!

Both of the semifinal games should be very good but I think Montana will be too stingy for UMASS and Appalachian will be able to exploit YSU's defense.

tralfangar
December 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I think UMass/Montana comes down to opportunistic defense and I think UMass pulls it off. It is unfortunate for both of those teams because even though it IS the national semis, both of those teams deserve to be in the NC imo.

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
UMass has managed to win, a sign of a champ. But, if they do not stop making the number of mental mistakes (penalties, fumbles, etc) that they have been making of late, all the talent they have is not going to win against a team as good as Montana. Both UNH games this year came too close for comfort. UMass should have been ahead by 10 more points (at minimum) but they made mistakes. Thanks goodness they recovered, but how many times can a team do that?

AshevilleApp
December 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
UMass has managed to win, a sign of a champ. But, if they do not stop making the number of mental mistakes (penalties, fumbles, etc) that they have been making of late, all the talent they have is not going to win against a team as good as Montana. Both UNH games this year came too close for comfort. UMass should have been ahead by 10 more points (at minimum) but they made mistakes. Thanks goodness they recovered, but how many times can a team do that?

Odd but I could say the same thing about App

Flathead Griz
December 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
If a team makes mental mistakes at home, in front of a friendly crowd, what will they do in front of a 20,000+ hostile crowd in Missoula.

Per SIU coach:
“I will tell you this,” added Southern Illinois coach Jerry Kill. “They've got the best, coached-up fans in the United States of America, as far as I'm concerned.”

McNeese75
December 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
If a team makes mental mistakes at home, in front of a friendly crowd, what will they do in front of a 20,000+ hostile crowd in Missoula.

Per SIU coach:
“I will tell you this,” added Southern Illinois coach Jerry Kill. “They've got the best, coached-up fans in the United States of America, as far as I'm concerned.”

What happened to the crowd yesterday? Less than 19,000?

blukeys
December 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM

Playoff Accounting.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
I think both games will be good. But I see a Mountaineer/Griz final!

But good luck to all.
Go APP!

twentythreeOh4
December 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Playoff Accounting.

No it wasn't anything to do with accounting. The crowd was smaller than last week. I suspect weather might have kept a some people, especially those who had to travel, away.

THE FRANCHISE
December 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

Much had to do with the roads. My 2 hr drive is taking almost 3. Plus there could not have been more than 100 SIU fans there.

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Much had to do with the roads. My 2 hr drive is taking almost 3. Plus there could not have been more than 100 SIU fans there.

visiting fans make no difference in attendance count, there are never enough to make a difference. As mentioned previously the reason was just weather and the game being on TV everywhere. It was rather sad to think we got less this round considering we had the students with us this time.

tralfangar
December 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
We had the same problem Peems...

It better sell out this weekend!!!! I'll be really disappointed if it doesnt.

smegriz
December 4th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Yea, the weather was a big thing for the griz attendance, totaled my car trying to get there sat morning, still made it by the end of the first quarter though xlolx wow, i don't know if im pathetic or just really dedicated, oh well, GO GRIZ!....and got my bobcat friends comin over for the semifinal game, so im trying to fill it up..

smegriz
December 4th, 2006, 02:07 AM
oh yea, yes im a rookie poster, been an observer for a quite a while, since 2004, don't know why i don't post, maybe ill start a little more :D

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM
My personal opinion is that (assuming all the things like playing sound and taking care of the football) that speed kills more than any other weapon, and watching all four teams I think ASU and Montana are much faster than YSU and UMass are. That will be the biggest difference in both games, moreso than having home field.

I would not be surprised to see both home teams win by double digits this weekend, and set up a great Title Game. I think UM and ASU are that much better than the rest of I-AA this year at this point.

penguinfan
December 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM
"2006 Playoff Hit List

Coastal Carolina - fried and battered.
Montana State - run over, around, and through.

Youngstown State, you're next!"

Coastal Carolina and Montana State are no James Madison and Illinios State my friend. I would say the Penguins are a bit more battle tested......The Mountaineers have never hunted Penguin before....They might find they don't have the right load to bring down the flightless bird named Marcus Mason!!!

elkmcc
December 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
oh yea, yes im a rookie poster, been an observer for a quite a while, since 2004, don't know why i don't post, maybe ill start a little more :D

You may be a rookie poster but from your earlier post you are certainly a dedicated Griz fan. Welcome to AGS. Sorry to hear about your vehicle. Travel safely.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM
"2006 Playoff Hit List

Coastal Carolina - fried and battered.
Montana State - run over, around, and through.

Youngstown State, you're next!"

Coastal Carolina and Montana State are no James Madison and Illinios State my friend. I would say the Penguins are a bit more battle tested......The Mountaineers have never hunted Penguin before....They might find they don't have the right load to bring down the flightless bird named Marcus Mason!!!
I think you'll find Yosef just keeps shootin' till they go down! I'd like to see us hit 40 for this game.

penguinfan
December 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
We will see! Should be a fun game. If you can find a way to stop Mason, I think you will find out (as did JMU) that the Penguins have a wealth of other weapons. Also, don't discount our defense.......they may bend a might, but never break.