PDA

View Full Version : UMASS fans

griz37
December 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
I don't know that much about your team. Strengths, weakness, why will you win in Missoula?

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I don't know that much about your team. Strengths, weakness, why will you win in Missoula?
We are balanced on offense and our D only gives up roughly 12 points a game. We have 20 all A10 players on our team. Coen(QB) finished the season second in the country for pass eff. Baylark now has over 1600 yards rushing on the season. We have a TE who is a major weapon and our WRs London(6'4), Moore (6'0 and speedy) and Rancher(6'6) are a load. On defense we blitz alot. All three of our LBers were all A10. Three of our 4 DBs were All A10. Today for the most party we played one on one against David Ball and shut him down. We are better against the run then pass on D.

Our only major weaknesses.... Penelties and sitting on the ball when we have a lead.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
We are balanced on offense and our D only gives up roughly 12 points a game.

Should be a low scoring game.Montana only gives up 16 a game.And a couple games were with the backups in.

McUMass
December 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
UMass fan here... looking to get tickets to the game, how should i go about it?

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM

http://griztix.com/
should work

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
If I were you... I would call the UMass tix office on monday. UMass will get a block of tickets and unless you want to be sitting in a sea of Griz, then that is your best option.

mschn99
December 2nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
If I were you... I would call the UMass tix office on monday. UMass will get a block of tickets and unless you want to be sitting in a sea of Griz, then that is your best option.
u will be in a sea of griz anyways:p

Nah..but seriously......You guys are gonna love the experience....nothin like wash/griz during the playoffs!!! Good luck to you guys.....sounds like it should be one heck of a good game!!!:thumbsup:

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
We are balanced on offense and our D only gives up roughly 12 points a game. We have 20 all A10 players on our team. Coen(QB) finished the season second in the country for pass eff. Baylark now has over 1600 yards rushing on the season. We have a TE who is a major weapon and our WRs London(6'4), Moore (6'0 and speedy) and Rancher(6'6) are a load. On defense we blitz alot. All three of our LBers were all A10. Three of our 4 DBs were All A10. Today for the most party we played one on one against David Ball and shut him down. We are better against the run then pass on D.

Our only major weaknesses.... Penelties and sitting on the ball when we have a lead.

I have been inviting you to Missoula to see a game at Wash/Griz for three years. Now you have to come. You are no longer a broke student. Better show up it's your teams last game of the 2006 season and they need you.:smiley_wi

Tubby Raymond
December 2nd, 2006, 09:06 PM

Played Ball one on one all dayxidiotx , BS and delusional

The pass rush from the db's was the differance

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM

I think you need to rewatch the game film. They played more one on one coverage then zone today. Every time they went balls way it was one on one coverage. One time he got lucky with a BS pass int call.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
I have been inviting you to Missoula to see a game at Wash/Griz for three years. Now you have to come. You are no longer a broke student. Better show up it's your teams last game of the 2006 season and they need you.:smiley_wi
No you are right I am no longer a broke student but Im saving my $$$ to fly and see UMass in Chatty this season.

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
That's a shame you'll miss the team's last game. Oh well maybe next year.xlolx

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
No you are right I am no longer a broke student but Im saving my $$$ to fly and see UMass in Chatty this season.

I'm sure you'll find something else to spend your money on :smiley_wi

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
I'm sure you'll find something else to spend your money on :smiley_wi
Nah im pretty sure it will be on a flight to chatty to see UMass take on App st or YSU.:D

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Either way, here's to an exciting, hard fought game between two outstanding squads :beerchug:

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:33 PM
How bout someone give us UMass fans some insite into the Griz. I can look at the stats and see you have height at the WR poss... You have 2 rbs who have over 500 yards for the year... and your QB has been playing better of late. You too hang your hats on the D side of the ball. Is there anything Im missing?

blukeys
December 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM

UMass is an extremely good team with an excellent defense. They are a very Physical team (think JMU in 2004) Their Offensive Line is big and Physical and Steve Baylark is the real deal IF he is healthy. The QB Liam Coen is not the upper crust of the A-10 QB's (Yes I will catch crap from Umassfan for this candid analysis so what's new????????) but the coaching staff, who is extremely good, will not ask him to do more than he is capable of. Coen cannot carry a team but no one asks him to do this (this is a credit to the wisdom of the Brown coaching staff). The wideouts for Umass are very athletic but Peebles in '03 is still a much better wideout than the current crew. I have tried to figure out the under performance of Brandon London for years. The guy should be killing people but in the end he is just average despite awesome physical skills. :nod: :nod: If he shows up and plays like he is capable of it will be lights out for Montana. Since he hasn't done this in years I say he will get his 3 or 4 catches and will look OK. He is better than that but I don't see it happenning.

The tight end for Umass is good and capable of creating problems and UMass does not use him enough.

The Umass defense has a great secondary. They have corners who can go man and can allow zone blitzes and a lot of stunts and blitzes. The defense is physical and mobile. They are very fundametally sound. The Umass front four is very solid but undistinguished. They are Physical, Mature, Smart and don't make mistakes. I would say the same about their linebackers.

Brown has a lot of options on creating pressure on the QB thanks to the quality of his secondary. One can blitz if you have confidence that your DB's can cover one on one. I look for this next week. I also see Montana having little success running on UMASS. For Montana to win Swogger will have to have a really good day.

Next Weeks game will be a knuckle dragging, hard fought, hard hitting game. The winner could lose in Chatty thanx to the physical toll. In the end both teams will know they were in a real game!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

mtgrizfan4life
December 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Our best rb is out for the year, our best existing rb is not one of the backs over 500 yards!!!!! Confused are you? Welcome to life at griznation this year. Defense is NASTY!!!! Crowd is, just come here and find out for yourself. I wish all the U Mass travelers a safe trip. You all will enjoy Missoula, and never forget gameday atmosphere here. Congrats to all 4 teams left.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
The QB Liam Coen is not the upper crust of the A-10 QB's
You are right about getting something from me about this one... That comment just proves you are clueless. I guess everyone who voted him 3rd team All A10 know nothing about football. Everyone should bow down to bluekeys and his great knowledge about UMass football. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

mtgrizfan4life
December 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
BTW, U Mass fans come and visit us at EGRIZ.com. I promise it will be fun.

Sam Adams
December 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
UMass D Line is very good. In fact the entire UMass D is very very good.

They mainly played David Ball man to man today and shut him down in his career finale. Santos rarely had enough time to operate and the UMass D was getting to him while rushing 3 men.

On offense UMass has multiple weapons, a superb OLine and Steve Baylark who is simply one of the best 1AA Rbs I've ever seen - has power and shake & bake and uses them both effectively.

What is the griz home win streak? It will end against UMASS.

Congrats to Montana and all the Semifinalist teams!

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
BTW, U Mass fans come and visit us at EGRIZ.com. I promise it will be fun.
Do you really want me to infest your message board. Ive been baned by some many teams so far xlolx

griz37
December 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
What is the griz home win streak? It will end against UMASS.

We are udefeated at home this year, but lost in the 1st round of the playoffs to Cal Poly. We have never lost a semi-final at home though.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
We are udefeated at home this year, but lost in the 1st round of the playoffs to Cal Poly. We have never lost a semi-final at home though.
I guess there is always time for something new. xlolx

griz37
December 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I guess there is always time for something new. xlolx

You need to stop posting & get to the blackjack table, get some money & get up here!

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
You need to stop posting & get to the blackjack table, get some money & get up here!
If I played blackjack I would have less money then I have now :nod: I do take donations though ;)

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2006, 11:00 PM

If UMass was blitzing with DBs, then Ball was likely in man coverage.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
If UMass was blitzing with DBs, then Ball was likely in man coverage.

JMHO, but the pass rush was the difference, not the coverage. All the blitzing created the man coverage. Santos never had time to allow Ball to run his routes.

Sam Adams
December 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Ball was shut down.

Griz40
December 2nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
LOL mmmmm Mass gonna be in for a game then!!!!

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM

Asbolutely "right-on" assessment. Ball was Public Enemy #1, #2, and #3 for UMASS defense today. Press, double, triple, pass interference, mauling, everything. Problem for UNH was that it worked (*&%@! :D ) and Santos just never got into the flow with his other weapons due to corner blitzes, ..... First time I have EVER seen that happen. Amazing thing is that UNH outrushed UMASS something like 215 to 198. Also, undeniable rough spot at end of game on Ball's 11 yard (but spotted at 10.5 yrd) catch on the 5 yard line. Having spouted, however, UMASS has great talent and will bring home the Championship. Note to Donny Brown: Remember Baylark and ride him, no need to get fancy. Questionable play calling kept UNH in position to win right up until the final deja vu play....

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
We have a three headed monster. Tall, fast, and great hands all three. Not that easy to shut down.

Eric Allen, 6'3", 48 catches, 6 TD's
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Southern_/eric_allen.jpg

Craig Chambers, 6'4", 40 catches, 8 TD's
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Montana_S/craig_chambers.jpg

Ryan Bagley, 6'4", 53 catches, 4 TD's
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Northern_/ryan_bagley.jpg

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
You are right about getting something from me about this one... That comment just proves you are clueless. I guess everyone who voted him 3rd team All A10 know nothing about football. Everyone should bow down to bluekeys and his great knowledge about UMass football. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Trust me, Coen can definitely play and can definitely lead. He is by far most efficient QB in FCS both on paper and in person, especially after having seen him play & beat UNH twice this year. Baylark is excellent, but without Coen UMASS would likely have the same problems UNH had 10-9-8 years ago with Jerry Azumah (Payton Award winner & All-Pro with Bears), but no other playmakers. The kid is excellent!

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
We have a three headed monster. Tall, fast, and great hands all three. Not that easy to shut down.

Eric Allen, 6'3", 48 catches, 6 TD's
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Southern_/eric_allen.jpg

Craig Chambers, 6'4", 40 catches, 8 TD's
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Montana_S/craig_chambers.jpg

Ryan Bagley, 6'4", 53 catches, 4 TD's
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Northern_/ryan_bagley.jpg

Easy to shut down though if your QB is running for his life and on the turf all game. xlolx

Griz40
December 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Easy to shut down though if your QB is running for his life and on the turf all game. xlolx
LOL Umassfan...get ready for that!

towsonx
December 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Theory of Football Relativity (Games relative to others)

UMass beat UNH 24-17
UNH beat Northwestern 34-17
Northwestern beat Iowa 21-7
Iowa beat Montana 41-7

Add up all the scores. Divide by each 4.
UMass beats Montana 30-12

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM

UMass beat UNH 24-17
Iowa beat Montana 41-7

Sounds bout right to me :D

DaGriz
December 3rd, 2006, 12:16 AM
I think this is the most difficult Griz team to figure out that we have had in a long time. The D is excellent, notice no TD's given up in the post season so far. The couple of games the D struggled this year the O lit it up. The O is like Jekyl and Hyde. We can be lights out one game and struggle the next. One thing about the O, who knows where the ball is going. One game Chambers-WR, is the go to the guy, the next it's Badgley-WR, the next game we rush for 200 yards with 3 different running backs. We don't throw to the running backs and TE's and then last week we threw exclusively to them. No telling what you are going to see with the offense. One thing is for sure. Go into half time with the lead because there isn't much scoring on us in the second half. This should be a good game and I could see it coming down to a field goal to win it. Hopefully we're doing the kicking.

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2006, 12:19 AM

UMass beat UNH 24-17
Iowa beat Montana 41-7

OK I'll take the Griz plus 18. PM me with the $$$ wager. :twocents:

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Sounds bout right to me :D

Hi UMassfan. I'll take the Griz plus 18. PM me with the $$$ wager.
:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

GrizRchattybound
December 3rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
I'm in for some of that action as well- name the wager.

I'll be at the game to collect my winnings, or Paypal works for me. :thumbsup:

Write it down- your boy rushes for his season low, and your team heads home very sad and watches our boys in Chatty.

Old Cat Fan
December 3rd, 2006, 01:26 AM
Just testing my new avatar in support of my A-10 brothers, what do you Umass guys think about that? a UNH fan flying your colors. If someone already has this and doesn't want me using it just say so, and if no one has it and someone wants it just call it and take it. Good luck next week, as much as UNH and Umass are rivals I'm really pulling for you guys to win it all.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 01:37 AM
Just testing my new avatar in support of my A-10 brothers, what do you Umass guys think about that? a UNH fan flying your colors

Jump on the Chatty choo choo for a fun ride :nod:

Old Cat Fan
December 3rd, 2006, 01:55 AM
Jump on the Chatty choo choo for a fun ride :nod:All aboard first stop Montana :beerchug:

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2006, 01:57 AM
All aboard first and last stop Montana :beerchug:

fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 02:02 AM
fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

Swogger will get ran over by Choo Choo James Ihedigbo come saturday... that will be Josh's last stop!

Tubby Raymond
December 3rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
I guess everyone who voted him 3rd team All A10 know nothing about football.

Everyone who voted him 3rd team All A-10 know nothing about football.:eek:

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
UMass is a very talented (on both sides on the ball)... but also an undisiplined team. I still think UMass may have the best talent in the CS... but they won't win in Missoula... unless they play mistake free ball.

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:23 AM

Big mistake... no UMass fan should pass up a chance to catch a game at Montana. I've been to both locations and Missoula was a better trip... great fans, stadium and scenery... DON'T miss it...

besides your chances of making it to Chattanooga are no better than 50/50.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Big mistake... no UMass fan should pass up a chance to catch a game at Montana. I've been to both locations and Missoula was a better trip... great fans, stadium and scenery... DON'T miss it...

besides your chances of making it to Chattanooga are no better than 50/50.
I think the chances of UMass making chatty is 75/25 in our favor. If we dont beat ourselfs we will win the game. End of story.

mschn99
December 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
I think the chances of UMass making chatty is 75/25 in our favor. If we dont beat ourselfs we will win the game. End of story.
are you smoking something good this morning??? or have you just not actually seen the griz D play? DUDE.....i wouldnt give any of the final four teams this year a 75% chance of winning....your team is good....but you make them sound like they are the class of the field....which none of them are at all!! this is a very solid final four and should be a very close semifinal weekend for both games

GrizzlyEdd
December 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
All this talk about Offense and Defense... how about the Special Teams play!! It could come down to that.... The Griz have the leading scorer in the Nation (Field Goals that is). Our punt/punt returning & kickoff/kickoff returning teams are very solid.

The Griz Field Goal kicker can hit and has hit "most" everything within the 50yrd line. He also punts well and has great hands as a receiver...xlolx the holder is probably the next "great" QB in the Griz future and throws an excellent ball from the holder position (just see the film on the SIU game):rolleyes:..actually that one play was a real miracle it wasn't a complete disaster....:p

The Special Teams just might be the deciding factor in the game and who goes to Chatty...:nod:

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hi UMassfan. I'll take the Griz plus 18. PM me with the $$$ wager.
:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

No response yet. :eyebrow:

fencer24
December 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM

UMass beat UNH 24-17
Iowa beat Montana 41-7

Another way to look at it: Montana beat SIU, who beat Indiana, who beat Iowa, who beat the Griz. Therefore, the only team that can beat the Griz right now is themselves.

Sam Adams
December 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
No response yet. :eyebrow:

Are you seriously giving me 18 points ????? PM DUDE.

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Just testing my new avatar in support of my A-10 brothers, what do you Umass guys think about that? a UNH fan flying your colors. If someone already has this and doesn't want me using it just say so, and if no one has it and someone wants it just call it and take it. Good luck next week, as much as UNH and Umass are rivals I'm really pulling for you guys to win it all.

Welcome to the family!!! Griz fans just don't understand how tough entire A-10 is...big surprise headed west next weekend!

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
UMass is a very talented (on both sides on the ball)... but also an undisiplined team. I still think UMass may have the best talent in the CS... but they won't win in Missoula... unless they play mistake free ball.
Exactly.......

fencer24
December 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Seems like that damned Mississippi is imposible to cross. I just think that due to our remoteness, most teams east of the Mississippi don't understand how tough it is played here either. Here's to a clarification of the issue this weekend.

Sam Adams
December 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
I think its funny to hear griz fans blindly assume that the only place football is played tough is in montana or west of the mississippi.

mschn99
December 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
I think its funny to hear griz fans blindly assume that the only place football is played tough is in montana or west of the mississippi.
i dont see one comment that said its not played tough elswere...the point being made was we play it just as tough out here....and people tend to not realize that till they come to wash/griz to play

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 11:54 AM

You mean that's not true?? :eek:

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the family!!! Griz fans just don't understand how tough entire A-10 is...big surprise headed west next weekend!

Well we have been waiting to find out for years. The last 4 A-10 teams you sent to us in Wa/ Griz all left with their tail between their legs. You are right on one thing, there will be a surprize for ya. :hurray:

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM

You must have missed the poor Saluki's huddled around the heater yesterday. I wonder why we would think that?

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
You must have missed the poor Saluki's huddled around the heater yesterday. I wonder why we would think that?

The weather, the fans, the stadium, I'm surprised the school even has to have a football team to win the games :rolleyes:

UMass better save money and the embarassment and not even show up.

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Are you seriously giving me 18 points ????? PM DUDE.

Another pompus UMass fan, with bad reading comprehension. Your other buddies predicted a 30-12 UMass win. I would never go on record with such a prediction in a semifinal game of #2 versus #3, but your little buddies did. xidiotx

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM

No pal. We heard you chowder-fans complaining about weather earlier this year when you won by some dominating score like 10-9. xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
That would be the dumbest thing to ever do! Why is college football great? The games on saturdays! The food and drink in the tailgates! The respect for the oppenents (sp)! So bring a bunch of fans and your team and lets decide this game on the field! If you are comming to the game stop by the tailgate and dish yourself up a helping.

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
No pal. We heard you chowder-fans complaining about weather earlier this year when you won by some dominating score like 10-9. xcoffeex

Are you talking about the Northeastern game, 7-0? Unless you were there or saw the game, you shouldn't make comments on the weather.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Besides that fact that both teams wear the same damn uniform, which might cause problems xlolx

Umass can be very good, I've watched (Tivo) almost all of their games, I've also recorded online (a great service BTW from Big Sky TV) the last three Griz games...

Assessment:

1) Umass makes too many mistakes - Griz are solid as a rock and well coached, no big plays no stupid gaffs

- Advantage Griz

2) Umass has a well balanced offensive attack with power everywhere - Griz seem to use the offence as a clock burning device to keep the other team off the field, they can score, but they bog down at the 20 yard line a lot

- Advantage Umass

3) I can’t get a complete feel for the special Teams but the Griz field goal kicker is good and the Umass Punter is good – Both teams can return punts and kicks very well

- Advantage “wash”

4) The Umass Defense is fast and very hard hitting but they get out of position and give up HUGE plays but then follow with a sack or something amazing, but it's not a "shut down D" - The Griz D-fence looks even faster (if you can imagine) they hit but more importantly they tackle (text book) in the open field (even Arkee Whitlock) this is a true shut down defense

- Advantage Montana

5) Umass as a whole is extremely dynamic as a team, they win (a lot) and do just enough to keep the other team frustrated both offensively and defensively, they have the tools to beat anybody anytime anywhere - Montana strikes me as less Dynamic, although that is the plan, they are methodical, calculating and brutal, with a lead they will drop a 7 minute drive on your ass to start the 3rd quarter (agonizing) or to end the half they get the ball and score leaving you 14 seconds left, all signs of a well coached team...

I almost say advantage Umass (they're just crazy enough to frustrate the Griz) but the Griz are too well coached
- Advantage Griz

Comes down to home field advantage, this should be close