PDA

View Full Version : #3 Umass at #2 Montana

Pages : [1] 2

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
Should be a good game.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Umass should give Montana a better game than SIU did. SIU had no passing threat whatsoever. This allowed Montana to focus on shutting down the running game.:twocents:

Griz40
December 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Umass should give Montana a better game than SIU did. SIU had no passing threat whatsoever. This allowed Montana to focus on shutting down the running game.:twocents:
It did...absolutely did. Will be a good game coming this weekend...very good game.

blukeys
December 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM

Agreed, while I am not sold on the Umass QB he is light years better than the SIU QB I saw today. The Umass receivers are much better than anything I saw out of SIU. SIU will never beat a non OVC team in the playoffs as long as they insist on being the boring run only team I saw in 2003 and today. Their act may work in the Gateway but it doesn't work in the playoffs. The only way SIU wins a first round game is if they get an OVC opponent. Their offense is so predictable anyone can stop them and the good teams have since 2003. :nod: :nod:

If Brandon London ever lived up to his potential Umass would never lose a game. However, of the final 4, Umass is the least disciplined and still picks up the dumbest penalties. Umass kept UNH in the game today and only a hand in the air secured the victory when they were the better team and should have won by a touchdown or more. :rolleyes:

This will be an interesting week. I have never seen a time where ALL of the top 4 seeds actually made it to the semis. Typically, there were upsets and at least 1 or 2 top seeds were beaten prior to the semis.

This is one of the strongest final fours I have ever seen. All 4 teams have the ability to be NC's. All four teams have excellent defenses which I view as the key to winning it all. I am pulling for my A-10 conference mates but in my view any of these teams could win it all.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Agreed, while I am not sold on the Umass QB he is light years better than the SIU QB I saw today. The Umass receivers are much better than anything I saw out of SIU. SIU will never beat a non OVC team in the playoffs as long as they insist on being the boring run only team I saw in 2003 and today. Their act may work in the Gateway but it doesn't work in the playoffs. The only way SIU wins a first round game is if they get an OVC opponent. Their offense is so predictable anyone can stop them and the good teams have since 2003. :nod: :nod:

If Brandon London ever lived up to his potential Umass would never lose a game. However, of the final 4, Umass is the least disciplined and still picks up the dumbest penalties. Umass kept UNH in the game today and only a hand in the air secured the victory when they were the better team and should have won by a touchdown or more. :rolleyes:

This will be an interesting week. I have never seen a time where ALL of the top 4 seeds actually made it to the semis. Typically, there were upsets and at least 1 or 2 top seeds were beaten prior to the semis.

This is one of the strongest final fours I have ever seen. All 4 teams have the ability to be NC's. All four teams have excellent defenses which I view as the key to winning it all. I am pulling for my A-10 conference mates but in my view any of these teams could win it all.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

The SIU QB you saw today came into the game with a 63% completion percentage, 1700 yards, 15 TD's and only 5 picks. He is pretty efficient. We have very good DB's and a good pass rush. We made him look bad today. We held him to 37 yards passing and forced SIU to run not the other way around. Our defense said come on run the ball that's our strength, you will not beat us passing.

Griz40
December 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Umass can't afford penalties against the Griz D. Defense will probably win this weekends games. I saw things in the Griz O however that made me think we are the team to beat, regardless of previous doubts about the offense this year.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
The SIU QB you saw today came into the game with a 63% completion percentage, 1700 yards, 15 TD's and only 5 picks. He is pretty efficient. We have very good DB's and a good pass rush. We made him look bad today. We held him to 37 yards passing and forced SIU to run not the other way around. Our defense said come on run the ball that's our strength, you will not beat us passing.
But he playes in a conferense that plays no defense.

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM

That's what every A-10 team says about us.xlolx We are 5-1 against your Conference the last 5 years and have outscored your teams 187-111. That's a 31-18 average. Who's got shakey defense?

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
That's what every A-10 team says about us.xlolx We are 5-1 against your Conference the last 5 years and have outscored your teams 187-111. That's a 31-18 average. Who's got shakey defense?
Im talking about the Gateway not the Big Sky

blackfordpu
December 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Looking forward to a good game.

GrizFamily
December 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, this is the one I've been looking forward to since many of your fans started politicing to have UMass be the #2 seed or rated team while we continued to win. Now we will finally settle it. No smack intended. Just glad we get to play this out.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Oh yeah, this is the one I've been looking forward to since many of your fans started politicing to have UMass be the #2 seed or rated team while we continued to win. Now we will finally settle it. No smack intended. Just glad we get to play this out.

Im glad the game is happening too... just wish it were in Amherst.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Im glad the game is happening too... just wish it were in Amherst.

Don't worry Missoula is much nicer than anything on the east coast.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Don't worry Missoula is much nicer than anything on the east coast.
In what way? I dont know if you ever been to the western part of Mass.

Griz40
December 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
umassfan...you might find a lot of people you have a lot in common with!

grizfan86
December 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Are you saying YSU has no defense? They are in the Gateway, right?

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Are you saying YSU has no defense? They are in the Gateway, right?

Out of the 4 teams left... YSU has the worst D.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
In what way? I dont know if you ever been to the western part of Mass.

It was my opinion.I said east coast and it was a joke calm down.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
I just wanted to know what way you ment and if you had ever been to western mass.... i didnt take offense to it.

grizfan86
December 2nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Personally, I have nevet been to Western Mass but I have been to Christmas and Easter Mass. Does that count?

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
Personally, I have nevet been to Western Mass but I have been to Christmas and Easter Mass. Does that count?
Eastern Mass is mostly city life. Western mass is different. Im from the mountains in western mass. In my back yard are the App Trail Mountains that go from GA to Maine.

DaGriz
December 2nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Umass should give Montana a better game than SIU did. SIU had no passing threat whatsoever. This allowed Montana to focus on shutting down the running game.

I thought the SIU game was going to be the easiest game in our run just because they strictly run and we can stop that. I thought next toughest would be McNeese. I hoped Umass would get knocked out by UNH because I think they are going to be a real challenge with a very close score. I think if we make the chipper it's a coin toss to who wins regardless of which team gets in. This game this weekend should be a close one. I wouldn't be suprised if it came down to a field goal.

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Eastern Mass is mostly city life. Western mass is different. Im from the mountains in western mass. In my back yard are the App Trail Mountains that go from GA to Maine.

WHOOSH! Right over the head of umassfan xlolx

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
WHOOSH! Right over the head of umassfan xlolx
I know his point but I was asking a serious question.

Griz40
December 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Did any griz fans see the game?

DaGriz
December 3rd, 2006, 12:25 AM
Did any griz fans see the game?

I watched it until the Cat game started. I saw the last Umass/UNH game too and Umass/Maine. Umass is very balanced. Their RB is very good as is their defense. Thier QB can throw. Swogger is going to get sacked quite a bit unless Hauck has the screens going or quick drop back passes. This will probably be our toughest game of the year after Iowa.

GrizRchattybound
December 3rd, 2006, 12:31 AM
This will be the toughest loss the UMass squad will have to deal with.

Will you all call this the greatest I-AA defense of all time if they allow Zero TD's inthe Playoff's?

Just curious. Half way there.

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM

Will you all call this the greatest I-AA defense of all time if they allow Zero TD's inthe Playoff's?

whoa... slow down

GrizRchattybound
December 3rd, 2006, 12:42 AM
whoa... slow down

No

P.S> I asked you the other day on a posting- do you watch the games live?

did you ever answer- maybe I missed it

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
No

P.S> I asked you the other day on a posting- do you watch the games live?

did you ever answer- maybe I missed it

i answered and the answer was yes. all im saying is dont curse our team.

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM

East coast or Amherst... doesn't matter Missoula is nicer... much nicer... :nod:

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

Could not agree more, especially about UMass almost shooting itself in the foot. An extremely talented team that makes this many mental mistakes will not win on talent alone.

UMass922
December 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
Could not agree more, especially about UMass almost shooting itself in the foot. An extremely talented team that makes this many mental mistakes will not win on talent alone.

I agree, too. I'm really worried about penalties. UMass is going to have a margin for error of slim-to-none against that Montana defense. They're not going to have as many scoring opportunities as they did against UNH, so they've got to cash in when they get them. I see this being a 17-13/16-14 kind of game--in whose favor, I don't know. I'm nervous and excited. Could/should be a great one.

Sam Adams
December 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
London is a very good WR, yesterday he led all receivers (including David Ball) with 5 receptions for 75 yds and one HUGE 31 yd TD catch. He was the best wide receiver in the NCAA quarterfinal game that he played in. If that is not good enough for you to think that he is "living up to his potential" then perhaps UMass should throw to him 20 times a game and see what his numbers look like - but the UMass offense spreads the ball around to various receivers and also when you have an all-everything rb like Steve Baylark: http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baylark_steve00.html

You tend to want to run the ball and that necessarily means that Brandon London is not going to get 20 balls a game so that you can think he is living up to his potential.

As for UMass shooting itself in the foot - yes it is a concern - but look at it another way - they have not even played their best football yet this season and they are 12-1. In other words they are due to put together a nearly mistake free performance next weekend and when they do.....Katy bar the door !

Sam Adams
December 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
East coast or Amherst... doesn't matter Missoula is nicer... much nicer... :nod:

I'd personally much rather live in Western Massachusetts for numerous reasons, but Missoula and Montana generally is a beautiful part of the country and so is New England.

bkrownd
December 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

You're either loony or an arch-conservative. xidiotx

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:26 AM

So now the BSC AND the Gateway are overrated? ;)

Reed Rothchild
December 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
YES. Its the matchup I've been waiting for all year.

UMASSFAN VS GRIZNATION!!!

Reed Rothchild
December 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
2 great defenses means that this game will be 9-3 in favor of the Griz.

GrizzlyEdd
December 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
I see this being a 17-13/16-14 kind of game--in whose favor, I don't know. I'm nervous and excited. Could/should be a great one.

Totally agree.... It is going to be a war... I will be there yelling my insides out. Can't talk too much today yet. Was a very loud day yesterday. I was hoping that UMass was going to win yesterday. We have played UNH in the playoffs before. Was nice to play SIU yesterday as we have never played them before. I like to see new faces and meet new folks at the game.

I think UM will win this weekend....xlolx... the Griz that is....:thumbsup:

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM
YES. Its the matchup I've been waiting for all year.

UMASSFAN VS GRIZNATION!!!

I've been waiting for it for years. Umassfan and the rest of those pompous bostonians that I tolerated last March at the NCAA's are in for a real treat. And if you think it has been hostile in Wa/Griz the last 3 weeks, you just tune in this Saturday.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I've been waiting for it for years. Umassfan and the rest of those pompous bostonians that I tolerated last March at the NCAA's are in for a real treat. And if you think it has been hostile in Wa/Griz the last 3 weeks, you just tune in this Saturday.
Im shaking in my boots and im sure the UMass players are as well :o

mschn99
December 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
That is an appropriate answer:nod: :nod: :smiley_wi

sdgriz24
December 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM

Yeah the noise won't effect them.Just like they all say,until afterward that is.Then they have a different tune.I'm sure your coach will be the same.

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM

Embarrasment? You? LMAO. Some how I just can't picture it. Here is a hint though. Take the silver spoon out of your mouth and you might discover that it is not your personality that shines.

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah the noise won't effect them.Just like they all say,until afterward that is.Then they have a different tune.I'm sure your coach will be the same.

Jerry Kill had the balls to admit it. Don't expect the same from the easterners.

Sam Adams
December 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
tough talk from the griz...lets see how they walk.

fencer24
December 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Most teams aren't blessed with a 12th man the way the Griz are. We may not run nor pass, not block or tackle, but we do exert an influence on the field that is palpable for our visiting "guests."

mschn99
December 3rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Most teams aren't blessed with a 12th man the way the Griz are. We may not run nor pass, not block or tackle, but we do exert an influence on the field that is palpable for our visiting "guests."
it says something for our 12th man when EVERY coach comments on how hostile....but not unfriendly the envronment is at wash/griz!!! Best fans in the nation in my book!!!!!:thumbsup:

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Missoula is next to Billings right?

mschn99
December 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Missoula is next to Billings right?
no...billings is 4.5-5 hours from missoula....butte, bozeman, helena, and kalispell are the closest larger towns....

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM
no...billings is 4.5-5 hours from missoula....butte, bozeman, helena, and kalispell are the closest larger towns....

Yea, so lets not get Amherst and Boston confused with each other :D

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Yea, so lets not get Amherst and Boston confused with each other :D

HEY!
What are you implying about Boston?

Wow!
The Montana / UMass Smack-Fest has already started...

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
HEY!
What are you implying about Boston?

Wow!
The Montana / UMass Smack-Fest has already started...

I'm implying Boston is not near Amherst (in MA driving distance terms xlolx).

Oh, also that I don't like Eastern MA people. ;)

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I plan on watching this game on TV whether or not App wins. This should be a battle of a game. I don't know much about UMass except that their defense has been impressive throughout the year. That Griz defense is downright frightening though.

I'm hoping for a good game. :D

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
I'm implying Boston is not near Amherst (in MA driving distance terms xlolx).

Oh, also that I don't like Eastern MA people. ;)

I see how this is gonna go... You know, I could just as easily become a Griz fan, if that's the love we'ah gettin' ovah He-ah

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
OK, Bostonians are pompus, Western MA is better than Eastern MA, folks from Montana are hicks...all stupid generalizations that have nothing to do with football. Which team is better?

UMass has consistantly ranked #1 in Power rating, Montana right behind. This doesn't mean much either. That's why they play the game! Gonna be a great one.

P.S., I was born and raised in eastern MA, and if I ever move back, it will be to western MA only!

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Interesting: Both teams basically wear the same unifrom, during a brain fart we might see a QB get flushed and throw right to "the wrong guy" just a thought...

Umass can be very good, I've watched (Tivo) almost all of their games, I've also recorded online (a great service BTW from Big Sky TV) the last three Griz games...

Assessment:

1) Umass makes too many mistakes - Griz are solid as a rock and well coached, no big plays no stupid gaffs

- Advantage Griz

2) Umass has a well balanced offensive attack with power everywhere - Griz seem to use the offence as a clock burning device to keep the other team off the field, they can score, but they bog down at the 20 yard line a lot

- Advantage Umass

3) I can’t get a complete feel for the special Teams but the Griz field goal kicker is good and the Umass Punter is good – Both teams can return punts and kicks very well

- Advantage “wash”

4) The Umass Defense is fast and very hard hitting but they get out of position and give up HUGE plays but then follow with a sack or something amazing, but it's not a "shut down D" - The Griz D-fence looks even faster (if you can imagine) they hit but more importantly they tackle (text book) in the open field (even Arkee Whitlock) this is a true shut down defense

- Advantage Montana

5) Umass as a whole is extremely dynamic as a team, they win (a lot) and do just enough to keep the other team frustrated both offensively and defensively, they have the tools to beat anybody anytime anywhere - Montana strikes me as less Dynamic, although that is the plan, they are methodical, calculating and brutal, with a lead they will drop a 7 minute drive on your ass to start the 3rd quarter (agonizing) or to end the half they get the ball and score leaving you 14 seconds left, all signs of a well coached team...

I almost say advantage Umass (they're just crazy enough to frustrate the Griz) but the Griz are too well coached
- Advantage Griz

Comes down to home field advantage, this should be close

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
I see how this is gonna go... You know, I could just as easily become a Griz fan, if that's the love we'ah gettin' ovah He-ah

I was just joking xlolx

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Umass can be very good, I've watched (Tivo) almost all of their games, I've also recorded online (a great service BTW from Big Sky TV) the last three Griz games...

Assessment:

1) Umass makes too many mistakes - Griz are solid as a rock and well coached, no big plays no stupid gaffs

- Advantage Griz

2) Umass has a well balanced offensive attack with power everywhere - Griz seem to use the offence as a clock burning device to keep the other team off the field, they can score, but they bog down at the 20 yard line a lot

- Advantage Umass

3) I can’t get a complete feel for the special Teams but the Griz field goal kicker is good and the Umass Punter is good – Both teams can return punts and kicks very well

- Advantage “wash”

4) The Umass Defense is fast and very hard hitting but they get out of position and give up HUGE plays but then follow with a sack or something amazing, but it's not a "shut down D" - The Griz D-fence looks even faster (if you can imagine) they hit but more importantly they tackle (text book) in the open field (even Arkee Whitlock) this is a true shut down defense

- Advantage Montana

5) Umass as a whole is extremely dynamic as a team, they win (a lot) and do just enough to keep the other team frustrated both offensively and defensively, they have the tools to beat anybody anytime anywhere - Montana strikes me as less Dynamic, although that is the plan, they are methodical, calculating and brutal, with a lead they will drop a 7 minute drive on your ass to start the 3rd quarter (agonizing) or to end the half they get the ball and score leaving you 14 seconds left, all signs of a well coached team...

I almost say advantage Umass (they're just crazy enough to frustrate the Griz) but the Griz are too well coached
- Advantage Griz

Outstanding discussion on the game...I agree with you, Cleets, about the UMass habit of mistakes. If they play mistake free, I don't see Montana winning...but the Minutemen make mistakes like they made againt UNH, they don't have much of a chance.

fencer24
December 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Interesting: Both teams basically wear the same unifrom, during a brain fart we might see a QB get flushed and throw right to "the wrong guy" just a thought...

Assessment:

- Advantage Griz

- Advantage Umass

- Advantage “wash”

- Advantage Montana

- Advantage Griz

This reminds me of an old assessment of the British by the former Soviet Union: Very professional, and willing to use cruelty and brutality to their own advantage.xlolx

Zangzigger
December 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

- Advantage Montana

UMass was #1 in I-AA in scoring defense last year and again, they're #1. They haven't given up more than 21 points all year. How can you possibly then give Montana the edge in defense?

As a UMass fan, here are my thoughts about the game:

I don't think that the crowd will affect our team that much. We have played in some very hostile environments the last two years (Army, Navy, Delaware) and have performed well under pressure. I also don't think the cold will affect us that much because its not like Massachusetts is that warm. Both defenses are very good but I think our offense is more balanced than Montana's and have a better chance of scoring against the defense. Honestly, I have not seen Montana play this year so I'm just going based on what other people say and stats. It should be a very low scoring game and special teams/turnovers are going to be very important. I noticed that Montana is last in I-AA in giving up sacks (allowing 3.7/gm) and combined with UMass being a blitz defense, I think that will be huge. We can't make the same stupid penalties that we've been having all year. Should be a great game, I can't wait.

Prediction: UMass: 13
Montana: 10

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
UMass was #1 in I-AA in scoring defense last year and again, they're #1. They haven't given up more than 21 points all year. How can you possibly then give Montana the edge in defense?

As a UMass fan, here are my thoughts about the game:

I don't think that the crowd will affect our team that much. We have played in some very hostile environments the last two years (Army, Navy, Delaware) and have performed well under pressure. I also don't think the cold will affect us that much because its not like Massachusetts is that warm. Both defenses are very good but I think our offense is more balanced than Montana's and have a better chance of scoring against the defense. Honestly, I have not seen Montana play this year so I'm just going based on what other people say and stats. It should be a very low scoring game and special teams/turnovers are going to be very important. I noticed that Montana is last in I-AA in giving up sacks (allowing 3.7/gm) and combined with UMass being a blitz defense, I think that will be huge. We can't make the same stupid penalties that we've been having all year. Should be a great game, I can't wait.

Prediction: UMass: 13
Montana: 10

I've watched them play the last 4 games or so ;)

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
but the Minutemen make mistakes like they made againt UNH, they don't have much of a chance.

Haven't comments like this been said all year, and they still win?

gRiZfBaLL04
December 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
this has nothing to do with the topic but maroon&white...you have to delete some of your messages so that i can send you one!

Haven't comments like this been said all year, and they still win?

GrizDen
December 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I don't think that the crowd will affect our team that much. We have played in some very hostile environments the last two years (Army, Navy, Delaware) and have performed well under pressure.

I'll give you Delaware for a hostile environment, but Army and Navy....:bang:

Here's a little nugget from coach Kill after yesterday's game:

“I will tell you this,” added Southern Illinois coach Jerry Kill. “They've got the best, coached-up fans in the United States of America, as far as I'm concerned.”

The Griz have played two of their most complete games of the year and they just happen to occur in the playoffs. I like the momentum on both O and D....Griz 24 - UMass 13

maroon
December 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM

Here's a little nugget from coach Kill after yesterday's game:

“I will tell you this,” added Southern Illinois coach Jerry Kill. “They've got the best, coached-up fans in the United States of America, as far as I'm concerned.”

The Griz have played two of their most complete games of the year and they just happen to occur in the playoffs. I like the momentum on both O and D....Griz 24 - UMass 13

How many times have we heard this type of comment? It will be loud. UMass will be surprised.

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
this has nothing to do with the topic but maroon&white...you have to delete some of your messages so that i can send you one!

Ah sorry, just did it!

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
You're either loony or an arch-conservative. xidiotx

Have you ever been to Montana...???

PS... arch-conservative to most of the residents of the 'Peoples Republic of
Massachusetts' is anyone to the right of Barney Frank...

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

Based on what I saw a couple of years ago... playing at Montana may be more difficult than playing at Delaware.

GaSouthern
December 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Montana will roll.

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Trust me, UMASS, the crowd will affect your team, especially if it's a night game and Griz Nation has extra time to get "lubricated" for the game.

You might have played against Army and Navy and KSU, but those are D-1 teams vs. a D-1AA team. This will be quarter-finals game infront of 20,000+ rabid Grizzly fans. There is not another experience like it in the nation, especially in D-1AA football.

Of course, none of this means anything. I guess the only thing there is to do is to wait until Friday and see what affects who. My money is on the Girz Nation though.

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
if UMASS doesn't win this one I will be really surprised

Reed Rothchild
December 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
The crowd will affect UMASS in some way. Guaranteed. Especialy if they start making mistakes, then it gets ugly.

I've never seen a crowd get rowdier and rowdier throughout the game as they do at Montana. Especially if they get up. They know what this game means and will let the UMASS team know.

The defense of UMASS will keep them in the game. Much like Cal-Poly from last year. But, Poly had played out there before and they knew what to expect.

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Of course you will. Your east-coast biased is incredibly obvious :nod:

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
i think we are all missing the major point here.. THE DICKENSON/DICKINSON FACTOR!!!

We, the Griz have Dave Dickenson on our side one of the most prolific passers in all of AA/FCS history. They, Umass, have the amherst born Emily Dickinson, known for her melodic metaphors and creative rhyme scheme.

In my opinion this game will come down to whose Dickenson/Dickinson factor plays a bigger role.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM

How can I rate Montana's D-fence a bit higher than UMass?

For starters Montana has given up 6 points in their two playoff games, UMass has given up 31 points, over the same two games...

I've watched both teams last three games and it's close but Montana's D-fence looks a bit better (by a nudge) did you read the whole thing or just focus on the bad parts related to UMass?

This should be a good game (relax)

GrizDen
December 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM

Please tell me your just trying to instigate some response from Griz fans.

surprised? :nono: It won't surprise me no matter which of the four teams playing this weekend win. The way the Apps fans are talking lately, I'm now rooting for a Griz/ASU final to take place.

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
It's official. It's a Friday night game under the lights.

KNUTS
December 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
my predictoin is umass will leave with a new found respect for the griz and griz nation

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
I know very little about UMass. I know Montana hardly ever loses at home in the playoffs. I think the record right now is something like 22 - 4. Should be interesting and I hope it's on TV.

Vulcan
December 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Missoula next to Billings? Right. Like Amherst is next to Phoenix. FYI, Missoula is closer to Spokane, WA by 100+ miles than it is to Billings. If your car insurance is with State Farm they'll give you an Atlas FREE!

And to whomever mentioned the word "conservative" in the same breath with Missoula has just committed a huge oxymoron. The aforementioned Billings is the actual bastion of rightwingism.

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Missoula next to Billings? Right. Like Amherst is next to Phoenix. FYI, Missoula is closer to Spokane, WA by 100+ miles than it is to Billings. If your car insurance is with State Farm they'll give you an Atlas FREE!

And to whomever mentioned the word "conservative" in the same breath with Missoula has just committed a huge oxymoron. The aforementioned Billings is the actual bastion of rightwingism.

the guy was making a point showing that amherst is not next to boston like missoula is not next to billings.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM

Dude, thinking UMass has a good chance to win is one thing. But being surprised that a program that has the record Montana has at home in the playoffs wins with the defense it has this season wins is another.

FYI, the Griz held Southern Illinois to 129 yards this past Saturday. That's the same Southern Illinois team that got 399 yards while beating Indiana.

I realize UMass has a real good defense too. But being "really surprised" if a program like Montana that hardly ever loses at home in the playoffs, is 12-1, and has the top rated total defense statstically in the playoff field is a bit much, don't you think?

parr90
December 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

Give me a break my man, you boys dont face any true running teams. You may change your mind if you face App.

Ronbo
December 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Give me a break my man, you boys dont face any true running teams. You may change your mind if you face App.

Excuse me what was SIU? 245 rushing yards a game.

putter
December 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM

There was a little team called Cal Poly that ran a similar offense to App and we have played them 3 years in a row. We will have seen it.

fencer24
December 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
I remember 2004 and JMU, and I was duly impressed. They had a huge O-line and two very good RBs. This defense is so much more tuned in to that kind of offense. I guess that is the advantage of getting to the Chipper more times than UMass. You get to see what the rest of the country is doing.

twentythreeOh4
December 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Outstanding discussion on the game...I agree with you, Cleets, about the UMass habit of mistakes. If they play mistake free, I don't see Montana winning...but the Minutemen make mistakes like they made againt UNH, they don't have much of a chance.

A lot of teams have lost their composure in Wash-Griz stadium. Being in that environment for 3+ hours can wear on a team.

Henny
December 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Montana can talk all they want about their crowd but it wont be as much of a factor as you think.

UMASS played in front of 30k in Annapolis with one side filled with Mids yelling the whole game. They also played infront of 22.5k at UD last year also.

What Montana will see is in reality, a Bowl subdivision team.

Many transfers, size and speed on defense. A big O-Line with great receivers, a stud running back and a poised QB who can get the job done.

If Montana can beat the best the A-10 offers they deserve to go to Chatty.

Just a reality check for the Griz fans.

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Montana can talk all they want about their crowd but it wont be as much of a factor as you think.

I would swear I heard that somewhere before.;)

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2006, 08:14 PM

UMASS played in front of 30k in Annapolis with one side filled with Mids yelling the whole game. They also played infront of 22.5k at UD last year also.

What Montana will see is in reality, a Bowl subdivision team.

Many transfers, size and speed on defense. A big O-Line with great receivers, a stud running back and a poised QB who can get the job done.

If Montana can beat the best the A-10 offers they deserve to go to Chatty.

Just a reality check for the Griz fans.

A reality check for Delaware fans: your team is not in the playoffs, quit campaigning for your A-10 brethren and be objective about the game.

Sam Adams
December 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Love to see Griz fans getting upset at Hens fans for simply telling the Griz what the facts are. Newsflash Griz: You don't control what everybody else is allowed to post here. Lets encourage different views on this great matchup rather than discourage them. Let Freedom Ring ! :D

twentythreeOh4
December 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM

We talk about it, because we see it over and over. In 2004 when New Hampshire came to Missoula all the A-10 fans were talking about N.H.'s 8-0 road record and how N.H. had won at Delaware, Rutgers and Ga. Southern. They said N.H. won't have any problem with the crowd they had seen big crowds before.

N.H. had 4 or 5 false starts and lost 47-17.

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
There was a little team called Cal Poly that ran a similar offense to App and we have played them 3 years in a row. We will have seen it.

Please. :rolleyes: Maybe you've seen Cal Poly run a "similar" offense, but not as well as the Mountaineers do. Cal Poly averages 299 yards a game, ranked 84th in the nation. ASU averages 409 yards a game, ranked 3rd in the nation.

But you have to get through a UMass team capable of putting up big numbers first, and ASU has to get through a very good Youngstown first.

Maybe we should postpone this discussion for a week...:smiley_wi

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Please. :rolleyes: Maybe you've seen Cal Poly run a "similar" offense, but not as well as the Mountaineers do. Cal Poly averages 299 yards a game, ranked 84th in the nation. ASU averages 409 yards a game, ranked 3rd in the nation.

But you have to get through a UMass team capable of putting up big numbers first, and ASU has to get through a very good Youngstown first.

I didnt find Putter's quote, but cal poly and App do not run the same offense. App is more like West Virginia than cal poly.

twentythreeOh4
December 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM

Here's some SIU comments on the noise:

Kill had a difficult time describing the atmosphere. "It was just an unbelievable setting and there really isn't anyway to describe it," Kill said. "To get that kind of crowd noise in Carbondale we would have to turn the music all the way up and some people would get arrested for it."

"Nobody could hear me," Hill said. "The center couldn't even hear me when I was up underneath him."

Montana is 134-18 at home since the stadium opened and a remarkable 23-4 in home playoff games. Even so, Kill thought his team would not suffer the same fate as most others that venture into Missoula. "In every film you put on, you see everybody else do it, and you say, 'Well, we've got the answer to it, we'll do this or that.' But we really didn't come up with an answer..."

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
A reality check for Delaware fans: your team is not in the playoffs, quit campaigning for your A-10 brethren and be objective about the game.

Sorry, he's not just campaigning for the A-10. UMASS is really that talented on both sides of the ball. However, unfortunately, UMASS is also prone to undisciplined antics and mistakes, which is why UNH kept the game close, led at half-time, and could have/should have tied the game at the end of regulation.

Except for Santos, Ball, and offensive creativity (which UMASS really does better without), the better all around football team pulled it out -- again however, they should have won by 2+ TD's if they would have played with more discipline. And, UMASS' offensive play calling sometimes ignores their stud RB in key short yardage situations and tries to get cute -- most often with poor results.

And, while I agree that Wa-Griz Stadium is pretty special (UNH found out 2yrs ago), you can't discount the UMASS prior experience at Annapolis and at Delaware. A game at Delaware is nuts, ...

Should be a great game in the range of 14-13 or something along those lines, ...

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM

How many of those fans were 9 feet from the sideline? ;) ;) ;)

Grizlander
December 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hey UMASS, don't worry about the crowd, we are really not that loud. We are VERY over rated as loud fans. Please pass that along to your coaches and team.

Also, with it being a friday night game, those people who come over from Seattle and Spokane and Billings will not make the trip. So I would only expext maybe 10,000 in the Zoo for the game. Those of us that will make it, have no voices left from Saturday. You guys should just run over us. The crowd will be no problem at all. :smiley_wi

Grizlander

DrG
December 3rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Big deal. A 270-pound defensive lineman in padding and a helmet is going to be intimidated by drunks nine feet away? The noise might have an impact on the signal calling, but not much else. So far, I've heard a lot from the Griz fans about how the noise is going to beat us, but not much on which players are going to beat us.:smiley_wi

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Big deal. A 270-pound defensive lineman in padding and a helmet is going to be intimidated by drunks nine feet away? The noise might have an impact on the signal calling, but not much else. So far, I've heard a lot from the Griz fans about how the noise is going to beat us, but not much on which players are going to beat us.:smiley_wi

Well, considering how most UMass fans have been complaining about their teams' "stupid" penalties, throw in 5-6 false starts to kill drives, and see where that gets you at the end of the day. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Well, considering how most UMass fans have been complaining about their teams' "stupid" penalties, throw in 5-6 false starts to kill drives, and see where that gets you at the end of the day. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stupid penalties are not false starts. Stupid penelties are non useful holds and 15 yard personal foul penalties for no reason.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Stupid penalties are not false starts. Stupid penelties are non useful holds and 15 yard personal foul penalties for no reason.

Talk to me about that after the game. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: xlolx

Live4Griz
December 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM

That is a stupid statement.

GO GRIZ!!

Butte America
December 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I'm not disputing that UMass has a great team, but to discount the crowd in a place like Grizzly stadium is just nuts. In all honesty, there have been playoff games that the Griz have won over better teams because of the stadium. There's a reason they have a nearly 90% home record and are 21-4 in home playoff games. Best example is 2004. Griz go down to Sam Houston third game of the season and ranked #1 in the nation. Sam Houston spanked us 41-29 and, the way I remember that game, the score shouldn't have even been that close. Fast forward eleven weeks and the same Sam Houston team that owned us down there comes to Grizzly Stadium for the final round of the playoffs. Final Score: Griz 47 SHU 17

Just sayin'.

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
As a griz fan i would like to ask that we no longer talk about how the stadium is going to win the game for us. i think everyone understands it can be loud and i think everyone would like to move on to talking about the players coaches and other things associated with the game.

With that being said, i say the griz need to do what has always worked in the past...score early, take the lead and let the defense do its job. GO GRIZ

AZGrizFan
I'm not disputing that UMass has a great team, but to discount the crowd in a place like Grizzly stadium is just nuts. In all honesty, there have been playoff games that the Griz have won over better teams because of the stadium. There's a reason they have a nearly 90% home record and are 21-4 in home playoff games. Best example is 2004. Griz go down to Sam Houston third game of the season and ranked #1 in the nation. Sam Houston spanked us 41-29 and, the way I remember that game, the score shouldn't have even been that close. Fast forward eleven weeks and the same Sam Houston team that owned us down there comes to Grizzly Stadium for the final round of the playoffs. Final Score: Griz 47 SHU 17

Just sayin'.

Actually, it was 34-13. 47-17 was the score of the UNH game the week before. :thumbsup: But your point is correct.

GRZZ

Because we have nothing to do with how the Griz team will perform on Friday...just like you have nothing to do with how UMASS will perform on Friday. The crowd noise contributes a little bit to the outcome of the game, and that we do control. That is why we talk about it.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM

Just sayin'.

Having just had our team beaten by UMASS, I'm very interested in watching the UM vs UM game on Friday night. However, it is sort of disappointing (or maybe enlightening?) that about 80% (just a guess,...) of the Montana fan postings have to do with your rabid 20K fans at Wa-Griz. No question that it is a great place to play and can be intimidating --just ask UNH about their experience in 2004. However, one thing I think you can count on is the confidence of UMASS-they've played at Delaware, at Navy, ....

More to the point, I would much rather learn a little more about the Griz ball players, not the fans. Your most celebrated Griz, Lex Hilliard, is not even playing, having been injured early and now red shirted. Lex killed UNH two years ago and I hope we can face him in the playoffs in 2007, but tell me more about why this edition of the team is so talented. I hear general praise for the defense & I know the name of QB Swogger, but not much more detail or insight.

Please, enough about Wa-Griz. Let's hear about how you are going to stop Baylark (no one else has), how you will deal with the efficiency of Liam Coen (don't discount him), how you will stop the "1-A like" offensive line, man child Brandon London, and how you will attack the aggressive and attacking defense of the Minutemen. They stopped Santos cold and that hasn't been done before in 3 years. I know you like Swogger, but he is NO Santos.

Now, I hope I have ticked you Griz fans off a little. :D Please let me know who and what to look for on Friday night. Good luck!

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
UMass had 17000 fans there saturday... Montana had 18000 fans. If they dont get a better turnout this friday then I cant see the crowd being an issue. The game will be 530 pm in montana on a friday. That means alot of fans will have to take the day off or leave work early just to make the game. Should be interesting if Montana can even get 20,000 fans for the game.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
UMass had 17000 fans there saturday... Montana had 18000 fans. If they dont get a better turnout this friday then I cant see the crowd being an issue. The game will be 530 pm in montana on a friday. That means alot of fans will have to take the day off or leave work early just to make the game. Should be interesting if Montana can even get 20,000 fans for the game.

Enough about the fans, please. Let's talk players, match-ups, coaching style and approach to the game. Can anybody match Donny Brown's aggressiveness and swagger as a sideline general? How will UMASS stop Swogger and how will they attack the celebrated Griz defense? Give me your :twocents: , both UM and UM fans!

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Having just had our team beaten by UMASS, I'm very interested in watching the UM vs UM game on Friday night. However, it is sort of disappointing (or maybe enlightening?) that about 80% (just a guess,...) of the Montana fan postings have to do with your rabid 20K fans at Wa-Griz. No question that it is a great place to play and can be intimidating --just ask UNH about their experience in 2004. However, one thing I think you can count on is the confidence of UMASS-they've played at Delaware, at Navy, ....

More to the point, I would much rather learn a little more about the Griz ball players, not the fans. Your most celebrated Griz, Lex Hilliard, is not even playing, having been injured early and now red shirted. Lex killed UNH two years ago and I hope we can face him in the playoffs in 2007, but tell me more about why this edition of the team is so talented. I hear general praise for the defense & I know the name of QB Swogger, but not much more detail or insight.

Please, enough about Wa-Griz. Let's hear about how you are going to stop Baylark (no one else has), how you will deal with the efficiency of Liam Coen (don't discount him), how you will stop the "1-A like" offensive line, man child Brandon London, and how you will attack the aggressive and attacking defense of the Minutemen. They stopped Santos cold and that hasn't been done before in 3 years. I know you like Swogger, but he is NO Santos.

Now, I hope I have ticked you Griz fans off a little. :D Please let me know who and what to look for on Friday night. Good luck!

Montana's D did OK versus Whitlock a week ago (and no one had stopped him) and did OK versus Santos just two years ago (December 2004). xcoffeex

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:44 PM
From everything I gather about Montana... they have a weak OLine. If that is true then it will be a long day for your QB. We had pressure on Santos all day and he is more moble then Swogger. If Southern Ill can get 5 sacks vs you... just picture what Browns D will end up with.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
Enough about the fans, please. Let's talk players, match-ups, coaching style and approach to the game. Can anybody match Donny Brown's aggressiveness and swagger as a sideline general? How will UMASS stop Swogger and how will they attack the celebrated Griz defense? Give me your :twocents: , both UM and UM fans!
You saw what we did to Santos... That is what we will do to Swogger.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Montana's D did OK versus Whitlock a week ago (and no one had stopped him) and did OK versus Santos just two years ago (December 2004). xcoffeex
Santos in 04 and Santos in 06 are two different Qbs. If you think otherwise then you are mistaken.

Grizlander
December 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
"I've heard a lot from the Griz fans about how the noise is going to beat us, but not much on which players are going to beat us."

I would say the answer to that, will be the player of the game this past Saturday. EVERY PLAYER on defence. You can shut down one or two, but when you do, two more will step up and make the play. Griz D is out of control, and the Offence will score just enough to get it done. Just like Chatty in 2001.

Grizlander

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
I think the Griz take this one......they got home field and a D that destroys.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:57 PM

As I said, you killed UNH two years ago. But, remember that Santos was a freshman and David Ball had broken his ankle the week before in the Ga Southern win. Coen is a seasoned vet now and his cast of characters on offense are all healthy. NOW, who should I watch for the Griz def on Friday? Why? Is So Ill O Line as good as UMASS? Did So Ill have a set of receivers as UMASS, led by London?

No Smack, please (there is a separate board for that). Let's give some 3rd party fans some insightful information. Thanks :thumbsup:

elkmcc
December 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM

Wow, I've seen it all now. Umassfan - the Griz attendance wizard.

Montana drew 20,000 for a quarterfinal in 2004. BTW that happened to be a Friday evening game. Oh yea you might remember it. The Griz demolished your A-10 buddy UNH. Next...........

BigSkyGrizGano
December 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Okay, in terms of players: Swogger is just hitting his stride and could pick apart any defense when he plays well. We have 3 recievers (Allen, Chambers, Bagely) that are very good and can change the course of a game. As far as the O-line, we actually aren't that bad, we run block well and many sacks have been due to Swogger's earlier season habit of holding on to the ball too long. We have 3 running backs that all bring something unique to the game.
Our Defense, as you have heard, is quite good. They have played against some large O lines this year and have overcome size with speed and tackling. Your best bet is to throw on us constantly, our corners are only average in coverage.
Special Teams- Dan Carpenter is a solid field goal kicker, versatile punter, and a trick play professional. He is probably the most athletic kicker/punter in CS. Our returners are very good as well, Tuff Harris is a great kick returner although he makes some fans cringe with his decision making.
Overall we are a very solid team that has won 12 games in a row, don't expect to come in and demolish us, especially at home. That said, your team looks very good and will probably be as good as anyone we have played this year. Looking forward to a good game under the lights.

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2006, 11:16 PM

Montana drew 20,000 for a quarterfinal in 2004. BTW that happened to be a Friday evening game. Oh yea you might remember it. The Griz demolished your A-10 buddy UNH. Next...........

The more I read posts by Griz fans, the more annoying they get. I'm glad they aren't conference foes, I wouldn't want to read their **** all year long. I normally stay away from games that don't have an affect on UMass, might have to continue to do that after this display by Griz fans.

Grizlander
December 3rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
From everything I gather about Montana... they have a weak OLine. If that is true then it will be a long day for your QB. We had pressure on Santos all day and he is more moble then Swogger. If Southern Ill can get 5 sacks vs you... just picture what Browns D will end up with.

Well if you do but Swogger on his back over and over, which may happen,then you may just see #14 Berquist. He has wheels, so blitz him all you want. It was funny when I watched the game tape after I got home from the game, and the ESPN guys were saying "why would Montana put their backup QB in." Then Berquist shot up the field and they said, wow this kid can run. xlolx

You have two differant QBs you need to plan for. I have wanted Berquist all year, but Swogger does seem to be getting better the last few games. When he is on his game he can pick you apart.

Grizlander

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:17 PM

Agreed already, YOU have the best fans. Tell us why you have the best team, who should we focus on & why during the game on Friday. As you probably know, back here in the east, we don't get to learn much about the Big Sky, except for weekly polls and one column per week on the former i-aa.org and on sportsnetwork.com.

And, by the way, I think you may have just won the prize for naivete as being the first person to ever equate UNH and UMASS fans as "A-10 buddies". FYI, the Big Sky isn't the only conference that has great rivalries and "on the field" passion for destroying each other. .....

Tell me why I should expect UMASS to go down this Friday -- and I don't want to hear about the crowd again OR how you kicked UNH all over the place back in '04. That is documented quite clearly. For the record, UM 47, UNH 17. Also, just for the record, Big Sky is 2-0 vs UNH all-time (MSU 16, UNH 16 back in D2 playoffs in '76).

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well if you do but Swogger on his back over and over, which may happen,then you may just see #14 Berquist. He has wheels, so blitz him all you want. It was funny when I watched the game tape after I got home from the game, and the ESPN guys were saying "why would Montana put their backup QB in." Then Berquist shot up the field and they said, wow this kid can run. xlolx

You have two differant QBs you need to plan for. I have wanted Berquist all year, but Swogger does seem to be getting better the last few games. When he is on his game he can pick you apart.

Grizlander

What year in school is Berquist? Is he as good with his legs as the Freshman QB for App State?

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
The more I read posts by Griz fans, the more annoying they get. I'm glad they aren't conference foes, I wouldn't want to read their **** all year long. I normally stay away from games that don't have an affect on UMass, might have to continue to do that after this display by Griz fans.

Tell UMassFan to stop bringing up the attendance then. :rolleyes: ;)

All elk was doing was settin' him straight.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
What year in school is Berquist? Is he as good with his legs as the Freshman QB for App State?

He's a soph.

And yes. ;) ;)

BigSkyGrizGano
December 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
I believe Bergquist is a redshirt Somphmore, although I'm not 100 percent sure. He is definitely more mobile and really isn't a step down from Swogger

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
I believe Bergquist is a redshirt Somphmore, although I'm not 100 percent sure. He is definitely more mobile and really isn't a step down from Swogger

Mobility is a DEFINITE plus vs UMASS defense. They come after you (80% of downs in 2nd half vs UNH were blitzes) and they can run. Should be fun to watch the chess match, .....

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Mobility is a DEFINITE plus vs UMASS defense. They come after you (80% of downs in 2nd half vs UNH were blitzes) and they can run. Should be fun to watch the chess match, .....
Santos has great mobility but that didnt help him saturday vs our blitzes.

BigSkyGrizGano
December 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
A blitz from UMass is probably a good idea: our OC just recently learned what a screen is and based off last weeks game, we haven't exactly developed many blitz stopping packages. I would think we will see plenty of blitzing too

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
A blitz from UMass is probably a good idea: our OC just recently learned what a screen is and based off last weeks game, we haven't exactly developed many blitz stopping packages. I would think we will see plenty of blitzing too
If any Griz fans have the UMass game tivoed.... what you saw vs UNH is what you will see friday.

Green26
December 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
This is for Cleets. I liked your analysis. I especially liked seeing that UMass is prone to mistakes. Here is some info on Montana.

UM's defense is very good and playing especially well now. In the past 6 games, they have given up only 56 points, including 21 to No. Colo. in a 53-21 game. Besides the 2 playoff games, 2 of the games were against Mont. St. and Cal Poly. Coach Hauck just said on his tv show tonight that he thinks our D is the best ever in the Big Sky conference. SIU, which got 3 points, was the second leading scoring team in the nation.

UM's D is 6th in the nation in total defense, at 251.46 per game. UMass is 16th at 270.69 per game. UM's run D stats are a bit better than UMass'. UM's passing efficiency defense is 7th in the nation at 99.89. UMass is 25th at 109.69.

UM is 2nd in the nation in 3rd down efficiency defense, at 26.5%. The defense doesn't make many mistakes, is physical and tackles well. The defense is very deep and completely platoons 2 full teams every 2 series, except for using only 3 d-ends. Thus, they don't wear down. The defense is fairly healthy and has started almost the same group the whole season. The 3 d-ends are very mobile and were 1st, 1st and 2nd team all-conference. The safeties were 1st, 1st and 2nd (I think) all-conference. Two corners were 2nd team all-conference. The backers are good. The d-tackles, especially the senior, have been playing very well of late.

UM has given up only 13 points in the 3rd quarter all season. The only TD was scored by Iowa.

The offensive line is young and has been banged up, but is not weak. 2 were first team all-conference and 1 is second team. 2 frosh have been starting, due to injuries, but a guard hurt early in the season has now started the last 3 games and a tackle, who missed 5 or 6 games, has now started the last 2 games. The o-oline is big and tall.

The sacks have been numerous and a problem, but the qb Swogger has done fairly well even under pressure, and can be deadly when he has time. I can't fully explain the number of sacks, other than to say they have resulted for a number of reasons. While Swogger was sacked 5 times by SIU, the protection has been much better in the playoffs, and Swogger has thrown very well.

Swogger is a terrific talent and a strong leader. Even in his off games/halves, he's found a way to get the job done. He has a rocket arm, and, while some disagree, I think he is very accurate (except in the off games/halves). Balls have been dropped in those games too, but the receivers have caught every ball in the playoffs. Swogger is tough, gets right up after every hit, and will take off and run in some situations. He can throw from the pocket or rolling out. He's good at play action. He has been known to kneel on the 50 yard line and throw the ball over the cross bar of the goal posts. Definitely an NFL quality arm.

The receivers are very talented, tall (6'4") and have good speed. 2 of the receivers are I-A dropdowns, one of whom was a starter for UWash last year, leading UW in TD's, and second in receptions and yardage. An OK St. transfer, in his second year, has had a great season. The third wideout is very good and having a very good season too. The 4th wideout broke his arm last week.

After losing our star rb, Hilliard, to injuries in pre-season and losing the starter against Iowa to injuries, the 5th rb, a frosh who was injured last year and not back early in the season, has recently emerged and has 3 of 4 100 yard games in a row now, I think. We platoon at rb.

Our special teams are very good. Good returners. Good coverage. Good punter. 3rd in nation in net punting. Averaging more than UMass' punter. Very good FG kicker, altho have had some blocks earlier in the season. UM is not afraid to fake FG's and punts.

Redzone scoring was a problem earlier in the season, but has improved. I see that UM is second behind NDS in the Sagarin ratings, and a couple notches ahead of UMass. Penalties were a problem too, but are way down in the last few games.

The crowd will be loud and a factor. The Fri. night game will probably hurt attendance, but even smaller crowds in the playoffs are very loud. Coach Hauck just said on his tv show that it would be rockin in Griz stadium and he wanted it to be full, loud and insane.

Our team is very physical. I think I've heard that UMass is physical too, and has alot of I-A dropdowns. Montana is playing its best ball now, and appears to be on a roll, which is very important in the playoffs. UM is 5-2 historically in the semis, and is 5-0 at home. Should be a great game.

I like western Mass, and was there in early October while taking my high school daughter to tour Amherst and Harvard, after spending a football weekend at Dartmouth. I have been in the UMass campus, and played a football game at UMass in the old days. I like all the colleges in that area of western Mass. I also love Boston and the Cape. Great area of the country. Of course, I like my native Montana too.

BigSkyGrizGano
December 3rd, 2006, 11:36 PM
The one thing I would expect from the Griz coaches is a plan to stop your blitzes, and based off what they have done in terms of gameplanning this year, I bet Bobby will brew up something to handle it

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Santos has great mobility but that didnt help him saturday vs our blitzes.

Can't argue that point. Will be fun to see if you can maintain the same level of pressure vs UM's 2nd option at QB -- Berquist. I'm guessing he will be in the game in relief of Swogger at some point. UM Coaches will tire of seeing Swogger on his back if he can't run well.

Berquist had better be as good as advertised to be effective. I hope he is because that will be fun to watch. I'm just guessing that he will also have a huge challenge on his hands vs the Hatchell brothers, et al ....

Sounds like Baylark and Coen will have a much, much tougher time against the Griz defense this week than probably vs any other opponent this season. Maybe Maine would be comparable? I hope your O Line plays up to their standards. Big game on quick release patterns by your TE (#82-Rutgers transfer, correct? He's a heck of a player -- scared us as much as any of your receivers) would be a big help to relieve some pressure on the run game and 5/7 step dropback game.

By the way, can you imagine that Grizz fan calling us A-10 buddies? When have you ever heard that before? :D

What time is the game on in the east on Friday?

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:41 PM
Okay, in terms of players: Swogger is just hitting his stride and could pick apart any defense when he plays well. We have 3 recievers (Allen, Chambers, Bagely) that are very good and can change the course of a game. As far as the O-line, we actually aren't that bad, we run block well and many sacks have been due to Swogger's earlier season habit of holding on to the ball too long. We have 3 running backs that all bring something unique to the game.
Our Defense, as you have heard, is quite good. They have played against some large O lines this year and have overcome size with speed and tackling. Your best bet is to throw on us constantly, our corners are only average in coverage.
Special Teams- Dan Carpenter is a solid field goal kicker, versatile punter, and a trick play professional. He is probably the most athletic kicker/punter in CS. Our returners are very good as well, Tuff Harris is a great kick returner although he makes some fans cringe with his decision making.
Overall we are a very solid team that has won 12 games in a row, don't expect to come in and demolish us, especially at home. That said, your team looks very good and will probably be as good as anyone we have played this year. Looking forward to a good game under the lights.

THANK YOU!!!!! :hurray:

KNUTS
December 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Annoying huh? go back and read your posts! hopefully you come to missoula and you can hear our "****" instead of reading it.

Grizlander
December 3rd, 2006, 11:44 PM

Berquist red shirted his first year under Craig Ochs, he became the starter last year as freshman, after the transfer Washington went down. Many want Berquist over Swogger because everyone was expecting Swogger to light it up and he has not. Berquist started our second game this year when swoggr broke his finger, and we won. We brought in a QB coach, Axman, he coached QBs like Troy Aikman, he has helped both QBs. Berquist can burn you for a 40 yard run. I believe he was the leading rusher one game. I will check. He came off the bench cold a few games back and first pass was for a TD. Seems like it was like 60 yards?

Berquist will most likely not play much. Swogger seems to be getting in his grove. Anyone that thinks we only have one QB that can get it done is making a mistake, That's why we throw Berquist in during these games. The other team as to plan for him at least a little.

Grizlander

DaGriz
December 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Tell us why you have the best team, who should we focus on & why during the game on Friday. As you probably know, back here in the east, we don't get to learn much about the Big Sky, except for weekly polls and one column per week on the former i-aa.org and on sportsnetwork.com.

Murphy (#90) is one DE. He is very fast. http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/front_wide/football/mike_murphy15.jpg

Dustin Dlouhy (#21) is another great DE.

Kroy Biermann-DE (#53)http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_South_Dak/t_kroy_biermann.jpg doesn't actually start and still made first team all conference. Our LB's fly to the ball,

watch for Tyler Joyce (#6) http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/at_Portland_/t_tyler_joyce.jpgand Kyle Ryan (#46).

Tuff Harris (#13) http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Idaho_Sta/t_tuff_harris.jpgis one of our corners, he also handles punt returns, watch for him.

On offense, obviously Swogger at QB. Our WR's are all around 6'4". Craig Chambers (#2) transferred from UDUB this year and has 8 TD's. Eric Allen (#5) transferred from Oklahoma State last year and Ryan Badgley (#3) is from Montana. Any of those three WR's can be the go to guy for the day. It seems to be somebody different every week. Our FG kicker is also our punter, Dan Carpenter (#29).

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
:hurray:
This is for Cleets. I liked your analysis. I liked seeing that UMass is prone to mistakes. Here is some info on Montana.

UM's defense is very good and playing especially well now. In the past 6 games, they have given up only 56 points, including 21 to No. Colo. in a 53-21 game. Besides the 2 playoff games, 2 of the games were against Mont. St. and Cal Poly.

UM's D is 6th in the nation in total defense, at 251.46 per game. UMass is 16th at 270.69 per game. UM's run D stats are a bit better than UMass'. UM's passing efficiency defense is 7th in the nation at 99.89. UMass is 25th at 109.69.

UM is 2nd in the nation in 3rd down efficiency defense, at 26.5%. The defense doesn't make many mistakes, is physical and tackles well. The defense is very deep and completely platoons 2 full teams every 2 series, except for using only 3 d-ends. Thus, they don't wear down. The defense is fairly healthy and has started almost the same group the whole season. The 3 d-ends are very mobile and were 1st, 1st and 2nd team all-conference. The safeties were 1st, 1st and 2nd (I think) all-conference. Two corners were 2nd team all-conference. The backers are good. The d-tackles, especially the senior, have been playing very well of late.

The offensive line is young and has been banged up, but is not weak. 2 were first team all-conference and 1 is second team. 2 frosh have been starting, due to injuries, but a guard hurt early in the season has now started the last 3 games and a tackle, who missed 5 or 6 games, has now started the last 2 games.

The sacks have been numerous and a problem, but the qb Swogger has done fairly well even under pressure, and can be deadly when he has time. I can't fully explain the number of sacks, other than to say they have resulted for a number of reasons. While Swogger was sacked 5 times by SIU, the protection has been much better in the playoffs, and Swogger has thrown very well.

Swogger is a terrific talent and a strong leader. Even in his off games/halves, he's found a way to get the job done. He has a rocket arm, and, while some disagree, I think he is very accurate (except in the off games/halves). Balls have been dropped in those games too, but the receivers have caught every ball in the playoffs.

The receivers are very talented, tall (6'4") and have good speed. 2 of the receivers are I-A dropdowns, one of whom was a starter for UWash last year, leading UW in TD's, and second in receptions and yardage. An OK St. transfer, in his second year, has had a great season. The third wideout is very good and having a very good season too. The 4th wideout broke his arm last week.

After losing our star rb, Hilliard, to injuries in pre-season and losing the starter against Iowa to injuries, the 5th rb, a frosh who was injured last year and not back early in the season, has recently emerged and has 3 of 4 100 yard games now, I think. We platoon at rb.

Our special teams are very good. Good returners. Good coverage. Good punter. 3rd in nation in net punting. Averaging more than UMass' punter. Very good FG kicker, altho have had some blocks earlier in the season. UM is not afraid to fake FG's and punts.

Redzone scoring was a problem earlier in the season, but has improved.

I see that UM is second behind NDS in the Sagarin ratings, and a couple notches ahead of UMass.

Our team is very physical. I think I've heard that UMass is physical too, and has alot of I-A dropdowns. Should be a great game.

I like western Mass, and was there in early October while taking my high school daughter to tour Amherst and Harvard, after spending a football weekend at Dartmouth. I have been in the UMass campus, and played a football at UMass in the old days. I like all the colleges in that area of western Mass. I also love Boston and the Cape. Great area of the country. Of course, I like my native Montana too.

and, THANK YOU!

Two comments:
(1) "The defense is very deep and completely platoons 2 full teams every 2 series, except for using only 3 d-ends. Thus, they don't wear down." Are you kidding me? Wow! If any of those kids want to play EVERY DOWN, have them write to Coach Mac at UNH. We could use them right about now to get ready for 2007! :smiley_wi

(2) "taking my high school daughter to tour Amherst and Harvard, after spending a football weekend at Dartmouth. " If you are thinking Amherst, be sure to check out the other NESCACS (ie: "Little Ivies"), including Middlebury in my home state and Hamilton in Clinton, NY. My son is a freshman there and just loves the place --as do we. Campus is beautiful, faculty is great -- and available -- and the website proclaims that the focus is on teaching students to "think for themselves" and to "learn to write effectively" What else can you ask for? :hurray:

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
I find it funny that people say UMass makes more mistakes then Montana when Montana has 4 more turnovers then UMass and also 15 yards a game more in penaltys. I guess by those stats... Montana is the team that kills themself more. :nod:

umassfan
December 4th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Murphy (#90) is one DE. He is very fast. http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/front_wide/football/mike_murphy15.jpg

Dustin Dlouhy (#21) is another great DE.

Kroy Biermann-DE (#53)http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_South_Dak/t_kroy_biermann.jpg doesn't actually start and still made first team all conference. Our LB's fly to the ball,

watch for Tyler Joyce (#6) http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/at_Portland_/t_tyler_joyce.jpgand Kyle Ryan (#46).

Tuff Harris (#13) http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Idaho_Sta/t_tuff_harris.jpgis one of our corners, he also handles punt returns, watch for him.

On offense, obviously Swogger at QB. Our WR's are all around 6'4". Craig Chambers (#2) transferred from UDUB this year and has 8 TD's. Eric Allen (#5) transferred from Oklahoma State last year and Ryan Badgley (#3) is from Montana. Any of those three WR's can be the go to guy for the day. It seems to be somebody different every week. Our FG kicker is also our punter, Dan Carpenter (#29).

Number 13 isnt even your better corner of the two. If anything number 18 is better. 13 may be fast but he cant cover the deep ball that UMass loves to throw.

BigSkyGrizGano
December 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I agree 13 (Tuff Harris) is only a mediocre corner. He is a great run defender but is only average against the pass. Our safeties and Jimmy Wilson (18)are very good though.

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Little more detail on the D stats...national rank in parenthesis, bold is the higher ranked team.

Rushing Defense

UMass: 102.9 ypg (11)
Montana: 97.6 ypg (6)

Passing Defense

UMass: 167.77 ypg (34)
Montana: 153.85 ypg (18)

Total Defense

UMass: 270.69 ypg (16)
Montana: 251.46 ypg (6)

Scoring Defense

UMass: 11.9 ppg (1)
Montana: 15.8 ppg (14)

Pass Efficiency Defense

UMass: 109.69 (25)
Montana: 99.89 (7)

Defense Third-Down Efficiency

UMass: 32.2% (15)
Montana: 26.5% (2)

Defense Fourth-Down Efficiency

UMass: 42.1% (38)
Montana: 50.0% (62)

Sacks

UMass: 2.85 per game (11)
Montana: 2.62 per game (19)

TFL

UMass: 6.00 per game (42)
Montana: 5.23 per game (65)

Passes Intercepted

UMass: 8 (79)
Montana: 17 (5t)

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Annoying huh? go back and read your posts! hopefully you come to missoula and you can hear our "****" instead of reading it.

Pay for my flight and I'll go.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Little more detail on the D stats...national rank in parenthesis, bold is the higher ranked team.

Rushing Defense

UMass: 102.9 ypg (11)
Montana: 97.6 ypg (6)

Passing Defense

UMass: 167.77 ypg (34)
Montana: 153.85 ypg (18)

Total Defense

UMass: 270.69 ypg (16)
Montana: 251.46 ypg (6)

Scoring Defense

UMass: 11.9 ppg (1)
Montana: 15.8 ppg (14)

Pass Efficiency Defense

UMass: 109.69 (25)
Montana: 99.89 (7)

Defense Third-Down Efficiency

UMass: 32.2% (15)
Montana: 26.5% (2)

Defense Fourth-Down Efficiency

UMass: 42.1% (38)
Montana: 50.0% (62)

Sacks

UMass: 2.85 per game (11)
Montana: 2.62 per game (19)

TFL

UMass: 6.00 per game (42)
Montana: 5.23 per game (65)

Passes Intercepted

UMass: 8 (79)
Montana: 17 (5t)

Isn't this more fun than arguing about stadiums, attendance figures, and trading smack on every post? Based on what I've read, I'm sticking with my 14-13 final score, just haven't decided which UM wins. Bottom line, should be a great show of CS football. Thanks to both sets of fans and good luck Friday! :thumbsup:

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Offensive Stats...

Rushing Offense

UMass: 176.77 ypg (28)
Montana: 143.69 ypg (60)

Passing Offense

UMass: 202.7 ypg (33)
Montana: 231.8 ypg (17)

Total Offense

UMass: 378.85 ypg (16)
Montana: 375.54 ypg (17)

Scoring Offense

UMass: 29 ppg (17)
Montana: 28.31 ppg (22)

Passes Had Intercepted

UMass: 7 (22t)
Montana: 11 (55t)

Passing Efficiency

UMass: 169.69 (2)
Montana: 129.64 (31)

Sacks Allowed

UMass: 1.08 pg (14t)
Montana: 3.69 pg (116)

Offensive 3rd-Down Efficiency

UMass: 37.9% (59)
Montana: 37.2% (66)

Offensive 4th-Down Efficiency

UMass: 61.1% (19)
Montana: 52.6% (39t)

Time of Possession

UMass: 29:36 (75)
Montana: 30:46 (39)

Grizlander
December 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Number 13 isnt even your better corner of the two. If anything number 18 is better. 13 may be fast but he cant cover the deep ball that UMass loves to throw.

TUFF HARRIS #13 a play maker. A BIG part of why we beat SHS in the Semi final in 2004. Don't over look him. You can burn him one play, then next play, he will come back and pick the ball and take it 80 yards. That's what he did the last semi final, gave up the big 50 yard play, then picked the ball and went 70 yards. Running over SHS QB Dustin Long. Made the front page. That's why he makes the list of players to watch.

We really don't have just a few guys to watch, it seems every week it is some one else making the big plays. It is hard to single out just a few. I like that.

Grizlander

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Special Teams....

Net Punting

UMass: 35.30 yds (13) - xlolx, also the jersey # of Koegel, the UMass punter (13)
Montana: 37.69 yds (3)

Punt Returns

UMass: 9.14 yds (44)
Montana: 12.80 yds (13)

Kickoff Returns

UMass: 21.70 yds (21)
Montana: 20.74 yds (35)

Punt Return Yardage Defense

UMass: 5.60 yds (19)
Montana: 5.38 yds (15)

Kickoff Return Yardage Defense

UMass: 18.41 yds (33)
Montana: 18.81 yds (41)

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Miscellaneous

Fewest Penalties Per Game

UMass: 6.23 (63)
Montana: 7.00 (81)

Fewest Yards Penalized Per Game

UMass: 56.31 yds (66)
Montana: 71.08 yds (99)

Turnover Margin

UMass: .31 (39)
Montana: .62 (18)

GRZZ
December 4th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Here is something interesting posted over at eGriz. I know it has Griz home game info, but that is where the game is so I thought it relevant. I will not speak of the taboo subjects, I promise.

Everyone knows the Griz have a great defense. But I got to thinking; the Griz defense when they've been at home has been unbelievable. Here's the stats from the home games this year:

SDSU: 7 points, 125 rush, 101 pass, 226 total off
Sac St: 14 points, 89 rush, 131 pass, 220 total off
NAU: 21 points, 98 rush, 93 pass, 191 total off
ISU: 10 points, 46 rush, 46 pass, 92 total off
Cal Poly: 9 points, 85 rush, 207 pass, 292 total off
MSU: 7 points, 53 rush, 143 pass, 196 total off
McNeese: 6 points, 99 rush, 125 pass, 224 total off
SIU: 3 points, 92 rush, 37 pass, 129 total off

AVG: 9.6 points, 85.9 rush, 110.4 pass, 196.3 total off

WOW!!!

Here's to the D! :clap:

DuckDuckGriz
December 4th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Stats are only something to talk about. I remember in 2004 first round when Northwestern State came into Missoula with the overall #1 defense in I-AA and the Griz hung 56 on them.

Any given Saturday.

WildcatFan
December 4th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Do you have a clue - have you ever been to their stadium. Never mind leaving work early - they will probably take the entire day off. Trust me the noise level is not something you have ever experienced unless you have been there.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2006, 05:53 AM
UMass had 17000 fans there saturday... Montana had 18000 fans. If they dont get a better turnout this friday then I cant see the crowd being an issue.

I've seen a game in Missoula and the crowd will be a factor... much more than you expect. Although their stadium capasities are similar... the crowd at Montana is very close to the field and noise level is much higher in Washington/Griz than at Delaware Stadium. I'm not saying UMass can't win (UD won there in the '93 playoffs) but there is a reason the Griz have such an outstanding record in Missoula and it isn't just pure football talent.

I think the key to the game will be turnovers and UMass ability or inability to get to the QB. If UMass can take care of the footbal and put consistent pressure on the Griz QB... they have an excellent chance to win the game...

Kosty
December 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM

He may be pretty efficient but he's not the second rated passer in the former 1AA at something like 172. 2,561 yards. 25 TDs, 197 ypg. And only 6 picks and 65% completion rate. Now THAT'S efficient!!!!

Tribe4SF
December 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Predicting anything other than a "too close to call" on this game is not realistic. Both teams have proven they can win tough games, and have defenses that are among the best. On a neutral field, I'd give the edge to UMass, but Montana has playoff experience and home field in their corner. I think UMass is the best team in FCS (beat UNH twice and you've earned that), but it doesn't mean they'll win this one.

GannonFan
December 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Crowd's definitely going to be an issue. UMass, to their detriment, still has a little of Whipple's attitude left over - they talk a lot more than most football teams, and they'll talk to the opposing teams as well as fans. With Missoula as rocking as it is and with the place full and with the fans being right on top of you, it'll be interesting if the London's of the world stay focused enough to play up to their capability. As much as these teams are fairly even, it's not unrealistic for this one to get out of hand and have it slip away real quick from UMass. The falling asleep against Lafayette in the first round (no business that game being that close - the talent level between the two was overwhelming in UMass's favor - that was a shadow of the Lafayette teams from the prior two years) could be worrisome if the same lack of focus pops up again. Coach Brown would be wise to tell his players to keep it quiet and focus on the game, and this week that's much more important than normally.

sl61
December 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Personally I feel that UMASS matches up perfectly with this Grizzlies team. They seem to be physical on both sides of the ball to deal with UM’s hard hitting style, size, and depth. They have a veteran QB that should not get rattled early and most importantly I feel they have a balanced offense. The teams that have beaten the Grizzlies in the playoffs over the years had offenses that could run enough to keep the Grizzlies defense honest but had a QB that could make big 3rd down throws. Whether the pass is off play action (James Madison) or plays down the field (Western Illinois with Michna). I don’t think that UMASS will be able to run the ball at will against the Griz D but if it can do it well enough bring in the safeties they may be able to hit some passes down the field. If they can do this I think they could score enough points to win.
The Griz offense is playing the best they have all year. Like most QB’s Swogger’s accuracy is thrown off when he starts getting hit but he never seems to get rattled. He took a pounding in Iowa but continued to compete and made some nice plays. The offense seems to always make just enough plays to control the game but without putting up a bunch of points. UMASS will definitely get to Swogger but I think the key is eliminating the running game. If the Grizzlies have to throw the ball to win I think that fits into UMASS strength. UM will win this game if they are able to get 5+ yards on 1st down like they have against Mcneese and S. Ill..
The Grizzlies are very sound on special teams. Haucks teams have made this a priority and a few games have been won scrickly on points scored from returned kicks, etc. They like to control the game by field position and the clock.
In terms of the crowd noise I guess we will see. I have seen 25 of the home playoff games and the week before every one of those games I have read quotes from teams talk about how they played at big stadiums and wont be affected. Undisciplined teams rarely keep their heads in these games. You can actually usually tell which teams are going to crumble, the ones that come out talking trash and play to the crowd are the ones that never handle it but those that act like they have seen it before do fine. Some played well and won but many have self-destructed before halftime. One thing no team has done is get in a early hole and fight their way back out of it. If UMASS goes down early I do not see them climbing back into the game but if they whether the early storm they can pull this out.

Reed Rothchild
December 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
If they start talking to the fans, they won't win that battle, and they will get blown out. There will be plenty of chances to interact with those fans as there is about 7 yds of sideline before the stands start.

napkinn
December 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Do you have a clue - have you ever been to their stadium. Never mind leaving work early - they will probably take the entire day off. Trust me the noise level is not something you have ever experienced unless you have been there.

Anyone in New England has experienced that noise level and that level of rabid fans. It's known as Fenway Park, and it is VERY close to the field. Oh, and if it happens to be a Sox-Yankees game, good luck trying to talk afterwards.

Besides, where is Montana even? Canada? Somewhere near Alaska? Do you guys even have speed limits yet? I'm sure it's nice, and I know your team will be a challenge, but make no mistake, UMass WILL BE THE HARDEST FOUGHT GAME OF YOUR SEASON. I sincerely hope that all these fans are not looking past UMass to the Championship game. And even if you are, how in God's name do you hope to beat any top 4 team if your not at home (Chatty). It seems like your stadium is your greatest player. Good luck winning when it's not playing.

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I think Montana has a big edge in speed, and it will show all game long. UMass has proven to a be a good team, Montana will be the best team they've faced all year. Griz by double digits.

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Anyone in New England has experienced that noise level and that level of rabid fans. It's known as Fenway Park, and it is VERY close to the field. Oh, and if it happens to be a Sox-Yankees game, good luck trying to talk afterwards.

Besides, where is Montana even? Canada? Somewhere near Alaska? Do you guys even have speed limits yet? I'm sure it's nice, and I know your team will be a challenge, but make no mistake, UMass WILL BE THE HARDEST FOUGHT GAME OF YOUR SEASON. I sincerely hope that all these fans are not looking past UMass to the Championship game. And even if you are, how in God's name do you hope to beat any top 4 team if your not at home (Chatty). It seems like your stadium is your greatest player. Good luck winning when it's not playing.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Really? I thought Montana only got cupcakes in it's half of the bracket.... :rolleyes: ;)

It's down to the final four teams, genius. Of COURSE it'll be the hardest fought game of our season. As it will yours. Great analysis. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM
UMASS will need to play their best game of the year to win at WAGRIZ on a Friday Night.

If they don't, and our offense continues to roll---good night and good fight.

griz&beer
December 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM
This game is going to rock. Umass will bring a good team into Wa Griz and we will have a good game.If Umass can keep it close it will be a game all night long, and a game they may very well win. If the griz get up early the game will be bad news for Umass. I know you guys are sick of hearing about the noise, but this is the first Friday night game we have had so it Will be special for us Griz fans and loud may be a under statement. good luck to the final four and may the best team win. (My hat goes off to the Bobcats of Montana State great year.)

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Montana 5, UMass 3

Col Hogan
December 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Great info...just the facts, no BS, no hype about a crowd Let's keep this up...

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I think Montana has a big edge in speed, and it will show all game long. UMass has proven to a be a good team, Montana will be the best team they've faced all year. Griz by double digits.

I haven't seen Montana... but I have seen UMass (5 times) and I seriously doubt that the Griz will have any 'speed' advantage over the UMass defense.

UMass' defense was plenty quick enough to hold... Navy... who sports the nation's leading I-A rushing attack to 60 yrds BELOW their per game average. And that was accomplished when Navy was led by their top offense threat... QB Brian Hampton... who later suffered a broken leg vs Rugters. The ONLY advantage I see for Montana is the home field... but that is a major advantage.

also I seriously doubt that Montana is any better than the Navy team who beat UMass 21-20.

griz8791
December 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Great info...just the facts, no BS, no hype about a crowd Let's keep this up...

Am I right in thinking these schools have never met? This is a matchup I've wanted to see for several years but the pieces just haven't fallen together for it to happen. This is why I love the playoffs.

UNH 40
December 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Fenway pales in comparison to the noise at Washington Grizzly Stadium. I go to between 5 and 10 Sox game a year at Fenway and usually 1 Sox-Yankees game a year, and never, not even once was the noise their even close to what I experienced while on the field at Washington Griz 2 years ago in the playoffs. We thought we had the noise factor under control going into that game, (we practiced inside most of the week with some sort of stereo crowd simulation noise playing the whole practice), nothing could have prepared us for the noise up there. It is deafening, it literally made the ground shake. People on this board keep on saying lets stay away from the talk about the noise level at Wash-Griz and talk about the players. The fact of the matter is it will play a huge role. Take it from someone who has actually played on this field in a playoff atmosphere, the noise level will drastically affect the play of both the offense and defense in this game. There is no denying it.

Butte America
December 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Montana 5, UMass 3

Okay, two things:

(A) I hate that prediction because close games drive me nuts when the Griz are playing; and

(B) I think that prediction is entirely a possibility. Except I'd go 6-3 for the Griz since safeties are so rare.

All that being said, I agree that this will be the best team we've faced in Grizzly Stadium in a long time. It's not inconceivable, though, (hoping) that the Griz can jump on them early and roll. I don't see anyone hanging a lot of points on the Griz D but the question, as it has been all season, is which Griz O shows up. If it's the Josh Swogger, TBF, Chambers/Allen/Bagley offense that's shown up in the playoffs, it could be a fun night for the Griz, although we still need to solve those red zone issues. Dan Carpenter is probably the only place kicker in college football who has to ice his leg after a game from attempting so many field goals.

This team reminds me of the 2001 Griz team that stumbled through the regular season with some close wins including two double OT wins but then the playoffs came and it was like somebody flipped a switch and they just rolled.

GO GRIZ!

UNH 40
December 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
UMass is Damn lucky that Lex Hilliard is injured, he would run all over this defense.

Blue Hen Nation
December 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
This game has CLASSIC written all over it.

placidlakegriz
December 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM

1995 and 2001 didnt work out so bad.

grizzled
December 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Umass can't afford penalties against the Griz D. Defense will probably win this weekends games. I saw things in the Griz O however that made me think we are the team to beat, regardless of previous doubts about the offense this year.
Is the Griz offense comming around to where the "D" doesn't have to play perfect to win?

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Ok NAPKINN- I've seen so much of this east coast provincial ignorance that I can't stand idle anymore. Last week someone circulated an AP sports article talking about how MSU players from Bozeman would be out of sorts playing at the altitude in Boone, NC.
NAPKINN and others like him possess the geographic sophistication of the average American before the Louisiana Purchase.
You think you have good football just like you think you have real skiing.
No - it isn't like Fenway Park, and none of your minutemen (I assume named by their girlfriends) have ever played in Fenway Park, anyway. No, you don't know what you're up against. I used to think UMASS had a good shot at winning, but now I am beginning to believe that they are all too provincial and naive to properly prepare for such a game.
This isn't going to be a fishing-line-laden sandbox like Chattanooga Stadium with James Madison. Our skill players won't be limited and your offense will be humbled. Swogger may not be the most efficient passer in the semi-finals, but if he's on just a little beter than his average game, you're headed for the same fate as the over-confident '95 E Kentucky team that never say Wash-Griz Stadium before. I would have to give creedence to a New Hampshire player who has played on that field before buying into anything uttered by a BoSox fan who can't even find the 4th largest state in the union with the help of Rand McNally.

putter
December 4th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Personally I feel that UMASS matches up perfectly with this Grizzlies team. They seem to be physical on both sides of the ball to deal with UM’s hard hitting style, size, and depth. They have a veteran QB that should not get rattled early and most importantly I feel they have a balanced offense. The teams that have beaten the Grizzlies in the playoffs over the years had offenses that could run enough to keep the Grizzlies defense honest but had a QB that could make big 3rd down throws. Whether the pass is off play action (James Madison) or plays down the field (Western Illinois with Michna). I don’t think that UMASS will be able to run the ball at will against the Griz D but if it can do it well enough bring in the safeties they may be able to hit some passes down the field. If they can do this I think they could score enough points to win.
The Griz offense is playing the best they have all year. Like most QB’s Swogger’s accuracy is thrown off when he starts getting hit but he never seems to get rattled. He took a pounding in Iowa but continued to compete and made some nice plays. The offense seems to always make just enough plays to control the game but without putting up a bunch of points. UMASS will definitely get to Swogger but I think the key is eliminating the running game. If the Grizzlies have to throw the ball to win I think that fits into UMASS strength. UM will win this game if they are able to get 5+ yards on 1st down like they have against Mcneese and S. Ill..
The Grizzlies are very sound on special teams. Haucks teams have made this a priority and a few games have been won scrickly on points scored from returned kicks, etc. They like to control the game by field position and the clock.
In terms of the crowd noise I guess we will see. I have seen 25 of the home playoff games and the week before every one of those games I have read quotes from teams talk about how they played at big stadiums and wont be affected. Undisciplined teams rarely keep their heads in these games. You can actually usually tell which teams are going to crumble, the ones that come out talking trash and play to the crowd are the ones that never handle it but those that act like they have seen it before do fine. Some played well and won but many have self-destructed before halftime. One thing no team has done is get in a early hole and fight their way back out of it. If UMASS goes down early I do not see them climbing back into the game but if they whether the early storm they can pull this out.

JMU did it running the ball. That O Line of theirs were monsters who took control of the game and kept our offense off the field. I remember Michna and that guy won the game with his feet. The Griz must have had him sacked at least 4 more times than they did and he would break a few tackles and run 15 yards for a first down or find and open receiver after pulling a Houdini. He willed that team to victory. :nod:

GannonFan
December 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM
JMU did it running the ball. That O Line of theirs were monsters who took control of the game and kept our offense off the field. I remember Michna and that guy won the game with his feet. The Griz must have had him sacked at least 4 more times than they did and he would break a few tackles and run 15 yards for a first down or find and open receiver after pulling a Houdini. He willed that team to victory. :nod:

Agreed - JMU beat Montana that year because the offensive line won the game - the holes they were blasting were gigantic - when you can peel off 8, 9 yards a carry the game becomes real easy.

Reed Rothchild
December 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Montana 5, UMass 3

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumbsup:

elkmcc
December 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Michna was W. illinois. Rascati is the JMU QB. I watched him earlier this year. Both are tough, big kids. What ever happened to Michna? He was awesome at Wa/Griz.

Col Hogan
December 4th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Am I right in thinking these schools have never met? This is a matchup I've wanted to see for several years but the pieces just haven't fallen together for it to happen. This is why I love the playoffs.

Both schools have never met on the football field...and as someone else has already posted, looks like the first one could be a classic...:hurray:

GrizzlyEdd
December 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
All the b.s. aside, I want to welcome UMass and their fans to Montana, Missoula, and Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Come on downtown after the game no matter who wins. You will find some great Montana folk who are more than willing to show you a good time and probably buy the first few rounds. Moose Drool is a treat you won't soon for get.... Great atmosphere, great people, and a great time...

Oh, one more thing... it "really" is ok to wear your team jacket, colors, hat, accessories out and about in Missoula, especially in the bars, it will probably get you another free drink...

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM
GOD I WISH I WAS IN MISSOULA FRIDAY!!!!!

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

mistersykes
December 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Oh, one more thing... it "really" is ok to wear your team jacket, colors, hat, accessories out and about in Missoula, especially in the bars, it will probably get you another free drink...

I noticed something confusing at the MSU-ASU game. It seemed like all the MSU fans were wearing random colors and not just school colors. It was strange to me. But I didn't see any of them up close, so I could be wrong.

Wear your team's colors no matter where you go. Be proud. (I'm not suggesting that the MSU fans were not proud, don't worry.)

I plan on watching this game on TV. Hope it's a good one.

elkmcc
December 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I noticed something confusing at the MSU-ASU game. It seemed like all the MSU fans were wearing random colors and not just school colors. It was strange to me. But I didn't see any of them up close, so I could be wrong.

Wear your team's colors no matter where you go. Be proud. (I'm not suggesting that the MSU fans were not proud, don't worry.)

I plan on watching this game on TV. Hope it's a good one.

MSU fans are a little behind the times I am afraid. I was in Bozeman the day of the playoff selection show. I asked the joker in the restraunt bar at the Holiday Inn if he would tune in the selection show. He looked at me totally confused. Told me he had never even heard of ESPNNews. Try going into a clothing store in Bozeman and asking for Bobcat attire. Wanna bet you get a confused look?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Many in the Lounge know I'm a microbrew fan and oh how I wanted to sample some Moose Drool! :bawling: Oh well, maybe another year!!

Anyway, figured I'd add some comments about UMass. I don't know enough about Montana to truly know the impact of the items I'm about to mention, but they'll be good food for thought.

To me the most impressive thing about the UMass offense is its balance. Someone mentioned that nobody can jam the ball down Montana's throat. UMass won't try to do that. But they'll mix up the run and pass enough that you can't key on either aspect of their offense. They've got a quality OL and outstanding threats running and passing. I don't think too much has to be said other than Steve Baylark in terms of their running game. On the passing side UMass has three big receiving threats and one speedster type to throw at (IIRC). By big, I mean tall because I think the three are all over 6'3" with decent speed. Short DBs have problems with these guys.

You can't key on either the run or the pass, because they'll mix up the playcalling so well. Coen is also capable of rolling out and passing the ball as well as tucking it for a run.

I'm really looking forward to watching this game!!

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Sorry ya' can't be here, AZ!

Me, and a "few" of my loudmouth friends will pick up the slack for ya', and try to make a difference!

UMassive
December 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I think there is some good info on this game finally. This quote is kind of rediculous since the last time I checked no one on our team plays for the Red Sox's or the Yankees. For those UMass fans that have made the Army game, snap over the head on the final drive losing 23 yards. Why because of noise as quoted by Miller and Coen. Navy game, second to last drive after big kick off return. Lawrence fumball. Before all you UMass guys get upset with me hear me out. The best thing that has happened to this team this year is the Northeastern, Maine, New Hampshire and New Hampshire game. While everyone wants to come at us regarding how the team barely ot by they are all W's and the team is battle tested now under pressure. Big Time. Or, should I say the Defense. Let's hope the Offense does there part for 60 minutes and it will not matter. Baylark is playing like a man possessed.

UMass - 24
Montana - 13

CollegeSportsInfo
December 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
All the b.s. aside, I want to welcome UMass and their fans to Montana, Missoula, and Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Come on downtown after the game no matter who wins. You will find some great Montana folk who are more than willing to show you a good time and probably buy the first few rounds. Moose Drool is a treat you won't soon for get.... Great atmosphere, great people, and a great time...

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be there Friday night...sitting with the rest of us UMass folks.

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Hmmm... three receivers over 6'3 or taller on the UMASS team. That sounds vaguely familiar. I guess it must be because I keep thinking of Craig Chambers, Eric Allen, and Ryan Bagley.

Honestly this debate about the UMASS offense versus the Grizzly D really isn't worrying me as much as whether OUR offense can advance and score against a tight defense. Frankly, the line has allowed too many sacks and the completion percentages during the regular season were less than stellar.

However, in playoff seasons of the past, Montana's production on offense has usally gone up from their regular season stats - although that could merely be testimony of the quality of our Big Sky Conf competition.

How many of you grizzly fans think that both Portland State AND Montana State could knock off the best of the A-10 teams?

parr90
December 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
A lot of teams have lost their composure in Wash-Griz stadium. Being in that environment for 3+ hours can wear on a team.

Please!!!

SeattleGriz
December 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM

About the only upside to living in Seattle, AZGrizFan.

I will be making the drive this thursday to be in the SEATS for a Battle of the Titans. I predicted this game to my brother as "The battle" back when the rankings placed them. Man is it going to be a blast!!!

grizbeer
December 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Does the discussion about Montana's crowd remind anyone else here of Tim trying to warn King Arther and his knights about the rabbit?

I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *grizzly crowd*, isn't it?

http://www.moviedeaths.com/images/grabs/holy_grail-bors-4.jpg

UMassive
December 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM
How many of you grizzly fans think that both Portland State AND Montana State could knock off the best of the A-10 teams?

I think these two teams could probably knock off the A-10's best on the right week. The difference between going undefeated in the A-10 and the Big Sky is depth of teams capable of knocking you off. The A-10 went 23-13 against non conference opponents in 2006 regular season - 64%. The Big Sky went 7-20. I realize that Portland State had three 1A's but that is still only 26% out of conference win percentage. Your upper echelon is great but they have the ability to sleep walk during several conference games in the regular season and that is not possible in the A-10.

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 06:22 PM
UMassive claims:
"The difference between going undefeated in the A-10 and the Big Sky is depth of teams capable of knocking you off. The A-10 went 23-13 against non conference opponents in 2006 regular season - 64%. The Big Sky went 7-20. I realize that Portland State had three 1A's but that is still only 26% out of conference win percentage. Your upper echelon is great but they have the ability to sleep walk during several conference games in the regular season and that is not possible in the A-10."

Spare me - your A-10 teams go out and play Va Military, Stony Brook, an occasional Ivy League team...and them the W Virginia College of Dental Hygeine and Animal Husbandry.

I don't think your Minutemen would 'sleep walk' past Northern Arizona, Weber State, or Idaho State. Every decent I-aa program takes on a I-A competitor for $, and they usually take on one lesser opponent early in the season. The difference is that you have Rhode Island, Towson, and an uncharacteristically bad Hofstra team to inflate your record.

UMass would NOT be undefeated in conference if they played Weber, N Ariz, Portland State, and Montana State this year

Col Hogan
December 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
UMass would NOT be undefeated in conference if they played Weber, N Ariz, Portland State, and Montana State this year

And this absolute statement is based on what facts?

Green26
December 4th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Eyeballing the non-conference schedules:

A-10 played Conn., VTech, Maryland, Duke (W), UCF, Navy, Northwestern and Marshall.

Also, Stony Brook (3), Morgan St., Bloomberg, Elon, West Chester, Liberty (2), Va. Military (which was 1-10), Bucknell (bottom of Patriot league), and Shaw.

Big Sky played: Boise St., Ariz. St., Oregon St., Iowa, Colorado (W), Colo. St., New Mexico (W), UNLV, West Virginia, Utah, Cal and Oregon.

Also: Chadron St., Fort Lewis, Dixie St. and Central Washington.

In addition: Cal Poly, UC Davis and South Dakota St.

While the A-10 may have been stronger than the Big Sky this year, the non-conference win-loss records would need further examination.

While I have no doubt that UMass is very good, they didn't have many quality wins, and they didn't play JMU, Richmond or Delaware. UNH was a big win, and beating them twice was big. I guess Towson was 7-4. Maine and Villanouva were 6-5. NE was 5-6.

Montana beat Mont. St., Portland and Cal Poly. To me, all of them were really top 15 teams. Montana also beat So. Dak. St., and they were pretty good and had some good wins.

Neither Montana or UMass kicked ass, in terms of the score over the best teams they played.

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Fenway pales in comparison to the noise at Washington Grizzly Stadium. I go to between 5 and 10 Sox game a year at Fenway and usually 1 Sox-Yankees game a year, and never, not even once was the noise their even close to what I experienced while on the field at Washington Griz 2 years ago in the playoffs. We thought we had the noise factor under control going into that game, (we practiced inside most of the week with some sort of stereo crowd simulation noise playing the whole practice), nothing could have prepared us for the noise up there. It is deafening, it literally made the ground shake. People on this board keep on saying lets stay away from the talk about the noise level at Wash-Griz and talk about the players. The fact of the matter is it will play a huge role. Take it from someone who has actually played on this field in a playoff atmosphere, the noise level will drastically affect the play of both the offense and defense in this game. There is no denying it.

They just dont realize what they are getting themselves into.....do they?

Its an experience that words dont give justice to. You have to hear it to believe it.

Col Hogan
December 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Eyeballing the non-conference schedules:

A-10 played Conn., VTech, Maryland, Duke (W), UCF, Navy, Northwestern and Marshall.

Also, Stony Brook (3), Morgan St., Bloomberg, Elon, West Chester, Liberty (2), Va. Military (which was 1-10), Bucknell (bottom of Patriot league), and Shaw.

Big Sky played: Boise St., Ariz. St., Oregon St., Iowa, Colorado (W), Colo. St., New Mexico (W), UNLV, West Virginia, Utah, Cal and Oregon.

Also: Chadron St., Fort Lewis, Dixie St. and Central Washington.

In addition: Cal Poly, UC Davis and South Dakota St.

While the A-10 may have been stronger than the Big Sky this year, the non-conference win-loss records would need further examination.

While I have no doubt that UMass is very good, they didn't have many quality wins, and they didn't play JMU, Richmond or Delaware. UNH was a big win, and beating them twice was big. I guess Towson was 7-4. Maine and Villanouva were 6-5. NE was 5-6.

Montana beat Mont. St., Portland and Cal Poly. To me, all of them were really top 15 teams. Montana also beat So. Dak. St., and they were pretty good and had some good wins.

Neither Montana or UMass kicked ass, in terms of the score over the best teams they played.

Good analysis of both leagues and their non-conference play. I do wish that we could play all the conference teams each year...missed not having a chance at JMU...that would have been a good match. (and an easy one for me to see). I only got to attend one game this year...the match at Navy.

GrizRchattybound
December 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
my predictoin is umass will leave with a new found respect for the griz and griz nation

as most teams to do - see 88% winning % at WA-Griz since it opened (also Zero losses in 13 games in the Qtr/Semi's at WA-Griz)

as you were.

GrizRchattybound
December 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Ya- visit egriz- must be another poster named Maroon&White talking smack in a non smack area. SMFH

:nonono2: :nono: xidiotx

GrizRchattybound
December 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Grizlander

I think the CB substitution was a stroke of genius on BH's part.

A) BH did this for all future foe's to be put on notice....There's another Gun in town and he weares #14

B) I think that it shook up SIU and their half time adjustments. Watch the game, and the changes they made scheme wise in the 3rd.

C) I think he did it for Cole as well to say "Look, we believe in you ...in case we need you this year, and you are the man...for the next two years. (and we are really friggin loaded for next 2 years as well)

Great move by what should be the 2006 "Coach of the Year" Bobby Hauck.

:twocents:

Nice job Maestro! :bow:

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Ya- visit egriz- must be another poster named Maroon&White talking smack in a non smack area. SMFH

:nonono2: :nono: xidiotx

Oh please, spare me! I've tried to actually talk football on there, but all Griz fans are interested in is throwing personal attacks around.

Sam Adams
December 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
egriz has a non smack section????xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Montana played and beat one other playoff team (Montana St). UMass played and beat one other playoff team (UNH). Despite how good the other teams are percieved to be by different people to be, only 1 opponent of both UMass & Montana made the playoffs.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Cal Poly averages 299 yards a game, ranked 84th in the nation. ASU averages 409 yards a game, ranked 3rd in the nation.

I'm not smart enough to know where to find who was ranked #1 & #2 in this category. Any one have the answer to what teams were?

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM
To Grizbeer: funny reference - I liked it. Not sure how many other people got it, but funny....

To DJP22192: my statement about your teams (not running the board against N AZ, Weber, or MT St) is based partially on what I have seen of their play on television, partially on what I have seen them do against the Grizzlies in the past, and partially upon how people from your neck of the woods act when they come out here. They have an uncannily annoying habit of shooting their mouth off when they no nothing about the topic and assume that their audience is interested in their misguided opinion. NAPKINNS fits this stereotype to a T.

What can you count on? Good hospitality, fantatic scenery, minimal traffic, and a road loss. I can respect the opinions and philosophies of the savvy fans from GA Southern, App St (would love to visit Boone and Asheville), and Youngstown State. They know the score, and they have the history to be proud of.... but you unenlightened fans from Massachusetts are hard to take seriously because, while you can talk the talk, your yeast...er..east infection keeps you from walking the walk.

Maroon&White
December 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
and partially upon how people from your neck of the woods act when they come out here. They have an uncannily annoying habit of shooting their mouth off when they no nothing about the topic and assume that their audience is interested in their misguided opinion.

What can you count on? Good hospitality, fantatic scenery, minimal traffic, and a road loss.... but you unenlightened fans from Massachusetts are hard to take seriously because, while you can talk the talk

Griz people are under some misguided opinion that UMass gives a crap about your stadium or fans. The "annoying habit of shooting their mouth off" fits perfectly to most Griz fans. What a completely hypocritical post.

griz8791
December 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Oh please, spare me! I've tried to actually talk football on there, but all Griz fans are interested in is throwing personal attacks around.

Huh. Personal attacks instead of rational football discussion. Can't possibly be the egriz I know and love.

griz8791
December 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Huh. Personal attacks instead of rational football discussion. Can't possibly be the egriz I know and love. Seriously, though, I hope you guys don't feel like you were singled out for abuse. That's pretty much what it's like there all the time even without opposing fans to rip on.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I think there is some good info on this game finally. This quote is kind of rediculous since the last time I checked no one on our team plays for the Red Sox's or the Yankees. For those UMass fans that have made the Army game, snap over the head on the final drive losing 23 yards. Why because of noise as quoted by Miller and Coen. Navy game, second to last drive after big kick off return. Lawrence fumball. Before all you UMass guys get upset with me hear me out. The best thing that has happened to this team this year is the Northeastern, Maine, New Hampshire and New Hampshire game. While everyone wants to come at us regarding how the team barely ot by they are all W's and the team is battle tested now under pressure. Big Time. Or, should I say the Defense. Let's hope the Offense does there part for 60 minutes and it will not matter. Baylark is playing like a man possessed.

UMass - 24
Montana - 13

That was EXACTLY what SIU fans said about Whitlock. How did that work out?

DrG
December 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I can respect the opinions and philosophies of the savvy fans from GA Southern, App St (would love to visit Boone and Asheville), and Youngstown State. They know the score, and they have the history to be proud of.... but you unenlightened fans from Massachusetts are hard to take seriously because, while you can talk the talk, your yeast...er..east infection keeps you from walking the walk.
Uh, we did have this one little aberration that happened 8 years ago. I think a lot of GSU fans are still in denial over that one.:smiley_wi

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
The hypocrisy I cited was a reference to overall personality traits.
All sports fans are hypocrites.

You ought to invite Liam Coen over to watch the championship game on your TV. He will have the day free if he isn't getting his nails done.

Maroon and White - why don't you come out for the game. You could stay a week and
A) see what a great college stadium atmosphere is all about, and
B) learn how to ski on a real mountain

In the meantime, let's make the smack-talk more interesting like GrizBeer. UMass fans - if you can't be funny, at least be creative. Put your ideas and wishful thinking in haiku form or something.

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't be too hasty about talking smack about Ga Southern. Off the cuff, I would say they have just about as many championship game appearances as UMass has playoff bids. The Southern and Big Sky have a whole lot more dance tickets at the championship game than the A-10.

Don't worry, UMass...basketball season is starting

SeattleGriz
December 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I think the CB substitution was a stroke of genius on BH's part.

A) BH did this for all future foe's to be put on notice....There's another Gun in town and he weares #14

B) I think that it shook up SIU and their half time adjustments. Watch the game, and the changes they made scheme wise in the 3rd.

C) I think he did it for Cole as well to say "Look, we believe in you ...in case we need you this year, and you are the man...for the next two years. (and we are really friggin loaded for next 2 years as well)

Great move by what should be the 2006 "Coach of the Year" Bobby Hauck.

:twocents:

Nice job Maestro! :bow:

Maybe I am confusing games, but didn't U of Maine use QB sneak after QB sneak to finally move the ball on UMASS? What better way for Montana to let UMASS know it is possible by running Cole during the SIU game.

Of course if I am wrong, then...oh what the hell, GO GRIZ!!

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM
By the looks of this thread, UMASS and Montana are the new rivalry of 1-AA....weird since I think they have never played before.

Goes to show you what happens when two REALLY LARGE Egos hit head on!!!!

ITS AWESOME

DrG
December 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't be too hasty about talking smack about Ga Southern. Off the cuff, I would say they have just about as many championship game appearances as UMass has playoff bids. The Southern and Big Sky have a whole lot more dance tickets at the championship game than the A-10.

Don't worry, UMass...basketball season is starting
You are correct, sir, but I certainly wasn't talking smack on GSU, or anybody else. That's not what I'm about. All I'm saying is that it should be noted that we do have one NC trophy. And why wouldn't you welcome some fresh blood into the mix ... I would think that is great for FCS football.

Cal Poly Mustang
December 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I've watched the Griz in person once this year, and on TV three or four times. Based upon the games I've seen, I think that UMass can win this game.

The key for UMass isn't going to be Steve Baylark, but Liam Coen. The Griz D is obviously tough against the run, but I think they can be beat by the pass. Both Cal Poly and MSU played the Griz close, and I don't think either of those two teams are as complete a team as UMass is. If UMass puts the pressure on Swogger early, and Coen plays well I think UMass wins by at least a touchdown.

-- Go Mustangs!!!

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I've watched the Griz in person once this year, and on TV three or four times. Based upon the games I've seen, I think that UMass can win this game.

The key for UMass isn't going to be Steve Baylark, but Liam Coen. The Griz D is obviously tough against the run, but I think they can be beat by the pass. Both Cal Poly and MSU played the Griz close, and I don't think either of those two teams are as complete a team as UMass is. If UMass puts the pressure on Swogger early, and Coen plays well I think UMass wins by at least a touchdown.

-- Go Mustangs!!!

Still bitter? :thumbsup:

UNH 40
December 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM
They just dont realize what they are getting themselves into.....do they?

Its an experience that words dont give justice to. You have to hear it to believe it.

They don't. I will never forget the experience of playing up there, walking down the visitors tunnel onto the field for the coin toss, I still get chills thinking about it.

They best be ready for it or it will hit them square in the mouth, which to be honest with you I would love to see.

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 4th, 2006, 09:11 PM
They don't. I will never forget the experience of playing up there, walking down the visitors tunnel onto the field for the coin toss, I still get chills thinking about it.

They best be ready for it or it will hit them square in the mouth, which to be honest with you I would love to see.

Best part is when you walked back through the tunnel was that alot of Griz fans were there to greet you and congratulate you on a great season. Am I correct?

It really gets tiresome hearing "the crowd noise wont be THAT much of a factor" and then hearing the post game interviews saying "wow, that place is incredible"

Doesnt matter what side your on, it is something else to experience

mtgrizfan4life
December 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
To the U Mass fans venturing out to Missoula. I hope you all have a safe trip and a good time. If you are into the bar scene, just park anywhere downtown, you can find many bars within a mile of another. For the single males looking for entertainment, check out Freds or Fox Club. Either way, I hope you enjoy your time before, during, and after the game. Speaking of the game, now onto it.

I respect every team that made the playoffs. Each team has proven itself, and every fanbase should be enjoying the ride. For the U Mass fans that feel we are not respecting your team or fans, it appears to me that the same can be said on both sides. After this game, I am sure both teams and fan bases will have earned mutual respect for one another. I am sure the fans bases of NH, ME, N Iowa, McNeese, YSU, GSU, Furman, Sam Houston, James Madison, all big sky teams, and any ther playoff opponent came away respecting Griznation (team and fans) regardless of outcome.

Some U Mass fans find it hard to believe Wash Griz can be so loud. If you have never experienced it, it is hard to believe. As a GRIZ fan we take pride in many things to give our team, university, and community recognition. We as a community believe in treating visitors with respect and good time. We as a University and fans are proud of what this program has built over the last 20 years. Over the years we have earned a reputation as having one of the most intimidating venues in all of college football. Sports reporters, fans, opposing coaches, and players always come away from WA GRIZ knowing it is not all hype,but fact after they have experienced it.

It is truly amazing what GRIZ nation is about. The athletic department embraces this fan base, and they bust their asses for our fans. As a whole GRIZ football is quite an anomaly. Yes we are hard fans to please and some of us whine, bitch and moan too much when we lose one game. I can honestly say GRIZ nation is one big family. GRIZ football has earned it's following in regionally. Griznation has earned respect nationwide for good reason. I am not sure how this happened over the years, but can speak for griznation (see our video), "I am proud of it and very happy it has grown the way it has". The main reason GRIZnation is that "it is the only show in town for miles!". The nearest pro teams are in SLC, Seattle, and Denver. We as fans have other teams we root for, but our loyality is not split.

Rather it be 18k (will not be less than that) or 24k, I guarantee every griz fan feels obligated to be loud rather they like it or not. The bigger the game, the bigger obligation to be loud. Say what you will U Mass fans, our fans and home field is a 7 to 10 point swing.

As for the players, thus far this season we have faced many excellent players: Albert Young, Murrietta to Watson, Noble, Barden, Jefferson, Whitlock, and many others. Our D has shut down each one of them. U Mass has big WR's as does MT, the difference this game and all year has been the hardest hitting secondary in 1A subdivision. If your WR's and backs can take on hit after hit, my hats off to them and kudos to them. Fact is Jimmy Wilson, Van Cooper, and Colt Anderson hit like Jack Tatum or Ronnie Lott every chance they get. Over time these hits begin to take a mental toll for opposing players. BTW our DE's are the best trio of DE's in 1A subdivision. A team can contain 1, but all 3, not likely. Speaking of depth we play 2 deep defensively at every position without fall off. If a team is to beat us at home it will take 1 defensive or special teams TD. Our D will not give up more than 20 points.

Not talking trash here, and if U Mass can come here and beat us, you have my respect and kudos to UMass. However, it is a huge hill to climb and many intangibles that a team cannot control. I expect this game to be hard hitting and very close. U Mass you have much to overcome. Good luck this weekend. GO GRIZ!!!!!!!

umassfan
December 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
That was EXACTLY what SIU fans said about Whitlock. How did that work out?
But Southern Ill runs 80% of the time... UMass is more like 50/50 or 55/45. UMass also has the best QB in pass eff. Swogger by the way is 32nd.

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Cal Poly has a much better view than any UMass post I've seen. He's right about what they need to do - just wrong about the outcome.

After lookigngat the UMass roster, 1A needs playoffs was right about the potential for a new rivalry "By the looks of this thread, UMASS and Montana are the new rivalry of 1-AA....weird since I think they have never played before".
Both squads are going to have a lot of returning players and should be good next year as well.

DrG, I would be glad to welcome new blood, but we don't have any in the semis this year. I was hoping to see NH and record-setting David Ball get a shot at it.

apper195
December 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game as a semi neutral fan. Haven't had the oppurtunity to really see either team this year. Even with all the Montana/App talk back and forth recently, I would love to see another game between these two. Based on purely selfish reasons, if UM and ASU make it chatty, the place will be rocking as I'm sure the griz will travel. But with that said I'm sure Umass is a great team also! Hope to see one of you in chattanooga.

Griz Fan
December 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Ok here it is straight from the archives.
You guys wanted to know.
13-13 at the half.
Griz receive kickoff in the second half, drive to score 7.
UMass on their next possesion loose the ball on a turnover, Griz get 3 out of it.
3rd quarter ends.
4th quarter ends.
Griz 23
UMass 13

umassfan
December 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I want to see each and every one of you griz fans here on saturday after UMass knocks you out of the playoffs.... Remember dont be late.

DrG
December 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Cal Poly has a much better view than any UMass post I've seen. He's right about what they need to do - just wrong about the outcome.

After lookigngat the UMass roster, 1A needs playoffs was right about the potential for a new rivalry "By the looks of this thread, UMASS and Montana are the new rivalry of 1-AA....weird since I think they have never played before".
Both squads are going to have a lot of returning players and should be good next year as well.

DrG, I would be glad to welcome new blood, but we don't have any in the semis this year. I was hoping to see NH and record-setting David Ball get a shot at it.
Fair enough. Also, a very good post by mtgrizfan4life, although I would say that if UMass can score 20 points on that defense, we have a very good chance of winning.

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 4th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I want to see each and every one of you griz fans here on saturday after UMass knocks you out of the playoffs.... Remember dont be late.

UMASS is doing the best job of "stepping up" to Griz fans and their egos since Montana State(but that might be a given).

AHHH When Egos collide!!!!!

Montana by 30

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I want to see UMass fan climb to the top of Mt Sentinel after the game and try to decide if he's crying from the let-down or his fear of heights.

Russell Trombone
December 4th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Unwary Minutemen fans came to the Zoo.
Saying "who's going to beat us, sure couldn't be you!"
-but they got a surprise
-and had tears in their eyes
by the time the Grizzlies were through

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM

And I found the Montana fans that travelled to YSU a few years ago (longer than that) to be very good fans. Some of them even joined us in the tailgate lot for a few refreshments that we had around...

YSUalum

GrizRchattybound
December 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
egriz has a non smack section????xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

another SMFH that's been talking smack on egriz- cool.

mtgrizfan4life
December 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I want to see UMass fan climb to the top of Mt Sentinel after the game and try to decide if he's crying from the let-down or his fear of heights.

Speaking of Mt Sentinel, was that not cool when Stouffer mentioned the U of M owning that mountain. Too bad the M is White, anyone for painting it Maroon?

McNeese75
December 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Speaking of Mt Sentinel, was that not cool when Stouffer mentioned the U of M owning that mountain. Too bad the M is White, anyone for painting it Maroon?

We thought about bringing some blue paint up there, but that's a damn long hike :D And I had better things to do

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Green26]Eyeballing the non-conference schedules:

QUOTE]

Gotta chime in. UNH played and beat Big 10 Northwestern 34-17. And, it wasn't even that close. Of course, that was before Corey Graham went down for the year ....

mtgrizfan4life
December 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
We thought about bringing some blue paint up there, but that's a damn long hike :D And I had better things to do
Glad you did not, had you, doubt you would have been up for the game. However, If U Mass wants to paint it Maroon, thanks for the help!!!! If you want exercise, climb to the M. Last time I did that was in college, and I will never do it, well except for a female. Believe it or not the band hiked up that during a scrimmage, with instruments. It was cool, had I been in the band, I would have told the instructor to fail my ass. No way, not with an instrument.

GrizRchattybound
December 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Like drinking beer, whiskey, more beer, eating some food, drinking more beer....did I mention drinking a lot of beer?

McNeese fans were cool- Shorts and all.

"I aint gonna let no stinkin cold bother me...pass the Buck Chops"

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM

I hope you had fun in Missoula regardless the outcome. How would you rate the atmosphere on a 1-10?

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Maybe I am confusing games, but didn't U of Maine use QB sneak after QB sneak to finally move the ball on UMASS? What better way for Montana to let UMASS know it is possible by running Cole during the SIU game.

Of course if I am wrong, then...oh what the hell, GO GRIZ!!

xlolx QB sneak?xlolx

Things are really deteriorating here. Ralph needs to come up with a Football IQ test to screen members.;)

We seem to have encountered the perfect storm for smack talk. Umassfan versus the Griz Nation!:hurray:

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Come on, 40! We're all A-10 brothers, so put the rivalry aside.:thumbsup:

Go Minutemen!!!

UNH 40
December 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Come on, 40! We're all A-10 brothers, so put the rivalry aside.:thumbsup:

Go Minutemen!!!

If it were any other A-10 school I would be routing for them, I was routing like hell for JMU even though they kicked our buts all over the field and sent our season into a downward spiral. The way that UMass plays drives me crazy, their players have no respect for the players on the opposing team, or the game itself. I know from experience that it is the complete opposite in Missoula, after they beat us soundly their players showed nothing but respect to myself and all my teammates after the game.

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM
The way that UMass plays drives me crazy, their players have no respect for the players on the opposing team, or the game itself.

Winning drives me crazy too.

Have you watched Santos play at all? He's as bad, if not worse, then any player on UMass.

saint0917
December 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM
The way that UMass plays drives me crazy.

I'm not sure I understand :confused: :confused: Teams that win drive you crazy????

their players have no respect for the players on the opposing team, or the game itself.

Congrtas UNH 40, you just won the Dumbest quote of the year. :thumbsup:

What proof do you have that Umass players have no respect for other players or the game itself.: smh : xidiotx

UNH 40
December 5th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure I understand :confused: :confused: Teams that win drive you crazy????

Congrtas UNH 40, you just won the Dumbest quote of the year. :thumbsup:

What proof do you have that Umass players have no respect for other players or the game itself.: smh : xidiotx

No winning doesn't drive me crazy, I have all the respect in the world for JMU, W&M, Delaware, Montana, App. St. They play great football at UMass and played great this past weekend, and deserved to win. I just wish that the players would speak with just there actions and not their mouths. Pre game instead of warming up players were taunting UNH fans, why? That is not football that is crap. Just play.

LacesOut
December 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
GO UMASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/all I got for this thread.....carry on.

UNH 40
December 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Winning drives me crazy too.

Have you watched Santos play at all? He's as bad, if not worse, then any player on UMass.

Example Please.

saint0917
December 5th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Example Please.

I'll explain, This happen at a game last year at Umass. Turing a Timeout, Santos was walking to the sidelines, as a Umass played walked by Santos, Santos punched the Umass player. And how do I know this, I work the sidelines at every Umass home game, and Santos did this right in front of me. You can bad mouth Umass all you want, but lets face it, ALL teams do it.

UNH 40
December 5th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I'll explain, This happen at a game last year at Umass. Turing a Timeout, Santos was walking to the sidelines, as a Umass played walked by Santos, Santos punched the Umass player. And how do I know this, I work the sidelines at every Umass home game, and Santos did this right in front of me. You can bad mouth Umass all you want, but lets face it, ALL teams do it.

If that happened than that is not exceptible by him, and he himself would tell you so

Russell Trombone
December 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Don't expect Liam Coen to find the endzone tyhis weekend as quickly and easily as he finds a glory hole.

Green26
December 5th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Admitting that I'm a bit old school, I have to side with UNH 40 on the subject of extreme trash-talking. It degrades the game and adds nothing. It sets a bad example for kids. For some UMass fans to support it, and almost brag about it, says something to me about those UMass fans.

If the UMass players try to get into it with the Montana fans, the game will become more difficult for them and for their team. This will inspire the already loud Montana fans to be even louder. The hostile environment will get even more hostile. If things start going against UMass, the crowd will help the momentum swing even more to Montana.

Also, some Montana fans near the field will ride the trash-talkers. While I don't like our fans doing this, it will occur. The UMass players will hear it, and it will be at least mildly distracting. If the UMass players respond, it will get worse for them and be even more distracting.

While UMass may ultimately prevail, the extreme trash-talking will only make their task more difficult.

UNH 40, I enjoy your views and insights. I played ball with your former coach Steve Stetson, talked to him several times in Missoula 2 years ago, and hosted his wife and a few other UNH fans during parts of the game. I wish UNH was coming to Missoula again. I wish UNH had gone farther in the playoffs last year. I saw the Dart. v. UNH game in Durham in 2005.