PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Four.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I was 4-4 last week. Congrats to Furman for picking up the SoCon's biggest scalp since Florida (Georgia Southern in 2013). Here is where I have at this week:

1) Chattanooga - Beat Samford on the road to regain the top spot.
2) Samford - Dropped a spot after the loss to UTC.
3) The Citadel - citdog is eating crow this morning.
4) Furman - Shocked the world by taking down UCF.
5) Western Carolina - Got hammered by Chattanooga's big brother.
6) Wofford - Lost to one of the Sun Belt's worst teams.
7) Mercer - Lost to one of the OVC's worst teams.
8) VMI - Got bit by Richmond.
East Tennessee State - Got hammered by Charleston Southern.

Predictions
VMI @ Furman - Paladins avenge last season's loss.
Samford @ Louisville (Upset Special of the Week) - Cardinals lose to a team nobody in the ACC is supposed to lose.
Charleston Southern @ The Citadel (Game of the Week) - Bucs find a way to beat the Bulldogs.
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford - Surely the Terriers can beat the Bulldogs, right?
Chattanooga @ Presbyterian (Beatdown of the Week) - Mocs manhandle Presbyterian
Emory & Henry @ East Tennessee State​ - Bucs win their first Homecoming game since 2003.

OL FU
September 20th, 2015, 09:23 AM
1.Chattanooga - My feeling was last week until they are beaten by a SoCon team they are number one. So they are still number 1.
2.Samford - I had them close to number 1 so getting beat by number 1 leaves them at number 2.
3. Furman - May be hard to believe but I am not typically homeristic when looking at Furman on this board and I hope I am not being so now. But I think losing to CCU (the best FCS team a SoCon team has played except for Chatt versus JSU and Samford versus Chatt) where not having a kick off return touchdown or (not and/or) a deflected pass interception, FU just might win that game and then beating UCF (even a very down UCF team) puts Furman at number 3.
4. Wofford - Thought they would beat Idaho. Still think they should have.
5. Citadel - Still a good win against WCU. The question is where should WCU be. If they are fourth or fifth in the conference then Citadel is number 3 and the whole list re-shuffles. Time will tell.
6. WCU - See 5 above.
7. Mercer - The Tenn Tech game was the first game to really be able to tell much. Didn't turn out the way I thought it would.
8. VMI - Ball State Game still looks good. The other two not so much. I still think VMI is a team to worry about. Their defense seems absent but if they are on, their offense can put up some points.
Other - ETSU ( I will wait until next year)

I would say definitely 3 through 5 (and possibly 2 through 6) might be relatively interchangeable.

Chattanooga @ PC - Let's hope there are no thunderstormsxembarrassedx Mocs win.
GWU @ Wofford - I don't see a repeat of last year. I don't think it will be a stomping but I do think after the first half there won't be any doubt.
Samford @ Louisville - I hope Black and Gold is right, but I don't think so.
Charleston Southern @ THE Citadel - Might be the toughest one to pick since CSU has improved greatly over the years and the Citadel goes back and forth between not too good and not too bad. Kinda tough to gauge Charleston with their schedule so far. But I still think the Citadel win over Western was impressive. Also, I think this year the Citadel is stepping it up to the being good level. I will take the Dogs over the Bucs.
VMI@ Furman - VMI's passing scares me and after last year frankly everything scares me. But this isn't last year and I think the results will be different. Furman.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2015, 09:57 AM
My worthless opinion:

1. UTC - Furman got the biggest win of the weekend, but UTC got the most important one. Mocs on top until someone knocks them off.

2. Samford - Jury is still out for me, but I think the Bulldogs still show the second best ability in the conference right now to play both defense and offense.

3. Furman - Team looks a lot more like 2013 than 2014. By far the toughest schedule of any SoCon team. Reese Hannon looks good despite pedestrian numbers. I imagine he will hit his stride once we stop playing FBS defenses.

4. Wofford - Respectable showing against Idaho. I still don't see the Terriers challenging for the top spot until they stop the pass (which they didn't). Too many SoCon teams have QBs that can really air it out.

5. The Citadel - laid an egg in Statesboro, but still has that coveted early SoCon win.

6. WCU - Not how their fans saw the season going, but still have time to right the ship and work out the kinks.

7. Mercer - Saw TTU as a "swing game" for Mercer. Get an off week and then start a stretch of seven SoCon games in 8 weeks beginning with Wofford.

8. VMI - Team seems to go as Al Cobb goes.

UTC over PC. Shouldn't be close

Wofford over GWU. Terriers pull away in second half

Louisville over Samford. Lousiville hasn't been great, but they have more athletes and a desire to beat someone.

Charleston Southern over the Citadel. Close one, but the Citadel looked a lot more pedestrian on Saturday.

Furman over VMI. Hopefully this is the first game of Furman's "payback" tour of 2015. VMI has a dangerous offense, but the Paladins should come in with a lot of confidence in this one.

catamount man
September 20th, 2015, 10:46 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Furman
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Western Carolina
7) Mercer
8) VMI

WCU has major offensive woes. Good time for an open date and time for coach Speir to adjust some attitudes. Still a fan. GO CATS!

kdinva
September 20th, 2015, 11:04 AM
VMI 28 @ Furman 34.
Samford 23 @ Louisville 40
Charleston Southern 24 @ The Citadel 31
Gardner-Webb 21 @ Wofford 37
Chattanooga 44 @ Presbyterian 21
Emory & Henry 20 @ East Tennessee State​ 30

DoWe
September 20th, 2015, 11:14 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Furman
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Western Carolina
7) Mercer
8) VMI

This.

OL FU
September 20th, 2015, 11:37 AM
This.

I think so far it has been unanimous with the exception of Black and Gold. which is fine, it is still early enough to have varying opinions.

Smitty
September 20th, 2015, 12:09 PM
1.Chattanooga - showed why they are still number 1 in the conference
2.Samford - number 2 got beat by number 1
3. Furman - fantastic game. Will probably find a way to win the conference this year
4. Wofford - close game
5. Citadel - for all the talk this past week you think it would have been closer
6. Mercer - not sure what happened here
7. VMI - got beat out by
8. WCU - Have managed to put up 20 points in 2 games against tough opponents

Last 3 are pretty much tied for last

Chattanooga @ PC - would be hilarious if UTC lost, but not happening.
GWU @ Wofford - Wofford should win this one easily this year
Samford @ Louisville - Yup
Charleston Southern @ The Citadel - SoCon is still weak against OOC opponents
VMI @ Furman - Furman's D should win this game
WCU @ Bye - Western's offense could not find a way to move the ball.

SU DOG
September 20th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Samford - WAY overrated I'm sorry to say. UTC dominated the trenches on both sides of the ball, and we just looked soft to me. UTC is one outstanding FCS Team, and I think they can go deep into the finals. I hope we can come back, and I do think we will have a wining season. Championship or even Playoffs? I now have my doubts. Furman is, without a doubt my #2. I think the Paladins will get better and better. I'll put Samford at #3, but I think we have some real weaknesses that are now exposed. I don't think I'm overacting to our loss, just being realistic.

ElCid
September 20th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Power Rankings

1. UTC: Finally woke up; looked like Samford was going to put it to them early until they took charge
2. Furman: Amazing effort for the win, and an FBS scalp to boot; still not sure if UCF is that bad or Furman is that good, but they get the benefit of the doubt until results show otherwise
3. Wofford: they looked bad to start but a great effort coming back and almost walking away with the W
4. Samford: Finally had an opponent with some D and it showed
5. The Citadel: The Eagles had the Dogs number and 5 turnovers never helps, we gave them the short field way too many times; time to regroup
6. WCU: Tenn was out for blood....still should have looked a bit better
7. Mercer: valiant effort but too little too late, bad loss for them to a bottom tier OVC
8. VMI: Sinking fast, especially if they don't stop the interceptions

Predictions

VMI at Furman - Can VMI repeat last year's performance? Probably not - 38-14
Charleston So at The Citadel- Back at home and with vengeance on their mind the Dogs recover - 31-13
Samford at Louisville - Louisville is still smarting and they had a couple extra days to stew - 45-17
UTC at Presbyterian - Better not look ahead to Furman, otherwise, the Hose are awful - 56-3
Gardner Webb at Wofford - GW has taken 2 from them in 2 years, Rat Dogs give pay back to a bad GW team - 42-16

The Cats
September 20th, 2015, 03:39 PM
1) Chattanooga - They proved they are the team to beat again this season
2) Samford - I thought they had passed UTC, but UTC thought otherwise...
3) Furman - Just may be for real this season, and until they prove otherwise.... they move up
4) The Citadel - tough loss to a good team
5) Wofford - almost pulled it out, Western can't defend the TO, that's why I put them ahead of WCU
6) Western Carolina - No offensive efford to speak of....
7) VMI - Got hit by a pretty good team
8) Mercer - Lost to a very bad OVC team.

East Tennessee State - Mercer could beat this team....

Predictions
Samford @ Louisville
Charleston Southern @ The Citadel
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford
Chattanooga @ Presbyterian

catamount man
September 20th, 2015, 04:03 PM
From what I have gathered, Coach Speir may be getting a little more involved in the offense. When Troy got benched last night, I was like "whoa." All I know is four years of Brad Glenn is enough. Beat PC and Mercer and I'll feel better. Let's go CATAMOUNTS!

Toby
September 20th, 2015, 07:49 PM
1) Chattanooga - They proved they are the team to beat again this season
2) Samford - I thought they had passed UTC, but UTC thought otherwise...
3) Furman - Just may be for real this season, and until they prove otherwise.... they move up
4) The Citadel - tough loss to a good team
5) Wofford - almost pulled it out, Western can't defend the TO, that's why I put them ahead of WCU
6) Western Carolina - No offensive efford to speak of....
7) VMI - Got hit by a pretty good team
8) Mercer - Lost to a very bad OVC team.

East Tennessee State - Mercer could beat this team....

Predictions
Samford @ Louisville
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford

No excuses, but had to win this game to be given any props. Significantly out gained TTU but could not convert in the red zone and gave up too much in the passing game. One positive was coming back in the second half after a lack luster first half and taking the lead.

Not giving up on my Bears! Two weeks off to get some key payers back from injuries and prepare for the triple option. Wofford put the hurt on us last year so I hope we learned from the experience. I'm sure Wofford will be heavily favored but like that Mercer will be home in the den. I hope we can keep it close.

Baldy
September 20th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Samford - WAY overrated I'm sorry to say. UTC dominated the trenches on both sides of the ball, and we just looked soft to me. UTC is one outstanding FCS Team, and I think they can go deep into the finals. I hope we can come back, and I do think we will have a wining season. Championship or even Playoffs? I now have my doubts. Furman is, without a doubt my #2. I think the Paladins will get better and better. I'll put Samford at #3, but I think we have some real weaknesses that are now exposed. I don't think I'm overacting to our loss, just being realistic.
Maybe things have changed over the last 6-7 years, but that was THE main problem with the Chris Hatcher coached teams at GSU.

For Samford's sake, I hope that isn't an issue any longer.

bonarae
September 20th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Furman
Louisville
The Citadel
Wofford
Chattanooga
ETSU (I really hope for this, they should've won sooner...)

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Big South / SoCon showdown weekend.

Glad to see Chattanooga getting to mix it up for once with a Big South team.

ETSU has a great shot at finally picking a win...Emory and Henry lost to Maryville 30-13 on Saturday.

CID1990
September 21st, 2015, 02:01 AM
Power Rankings

1. UTC: Finally woke up; looked like Samford was going to put it to them early until they took charge
2. Furman: Amazing effort for the win, and an FBS scalp to boot; still not sure if UCF is that bad or Furman is that good, but they get the benefit of the doubt until results show otherwise
3. Wofford: they looked bad to start but a great effort coming back and almost walking away with the W
4. Samford: Finally had an opponent with some D and it showed
5. The Citadel: The Eagles had the Dogs number and 5 turnovers never helps, we gave them the short field way too many times; time to regroup
6. WCU: Tenn was out for blood....still should have looked a bit better
7. Mercer: valiant effort but too little too late, bad loss for them to a bottom tier OVC
8. VMI: Sinking fast, especially if they don't stop the interceptions

Predictions

VMI at Furman - Can VMI repeat last year's performance? Probably not - 38-14
Charleston So at The Citadel- Back at home and with vengeance on their mind the Dogs recover - 31-13
Samford at Louisville - Louisville is still smarting and they had a couple extra days to stew - 45-17
UTC at Presbyterian - Better not look ahead to Furman, otherwise, the Hose are awful - 56-3
Gardner Webb at Wofford - GW has taken 2 from them in 2 years, Rat Dogs give pay back to a bad GW team - 42-16

If we don't get a handle on all these stinking fumbles we may not win another game. Defense helped negate turnovers against WCU but it's on film now and subsequent teams are going to eat our lunch.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2015, 06:29 AM
No excuses, but had to win this game to be given any props. Significantly out gained TTU but could not convert in the red zone and gave up too much in the passing game. One positive was coming back in the second half after a lack luster first half and taking the lead.

Not giving up on my Bears! Two weeks off to get some key payers back from injuries and prepare for the triple option. Wofford put the hurt on us last year so I hope we learned from the experience. I'm sure Wofford will be heavily favored but like that Mercer will be home in the den. I hope we can keep it close.

Wofford is going to be a tough matchup for Mercer. The Terrier's biggest weakness is pass defense (has been for years), and Mercer probably has the weakest air game of any SoCon school that does not run the option full time. It is hard to beat Wofford in a matchup of who has the stronger running game.

The week off should help.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2015, 07:58 AM
Highlights from Furman's upset win in Orlando. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sz31WAf1go

I haven't seen this much excitement from a Furman team after a road win since beating Jacksonville State 10 years ago. If you look closely, you can even see Bruce Fowler smile.

What a win for the purple and white.

SU DOG
September 21st, 2015, 08:05 AM
A GREAT WIN, and a plus for the conference. Congrats to Furman.

FUBeAR
September 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM
Wofford is going to be a tough matchup for Mercer. The Terrier's biggest weakness is pass defense (has been for years), and Mercer probably has the weakest air game of any SoCon school that does not run the option full time. It is hard to beat Wofford in a matchup of who has the stronger running game.

The week off should help.

Week off should help is right - Got whipped by TTU - played without leading Receiver this season, TE/WR (hybrid), Robert Brown & the Bears' most dangerous Receiver/Return threat, Chandler Curtis. Hopefully, both will be back full strength for Woffy. Good news is 3 more very talented FR (TE, Sam Walker & WR's, Marquise Irvin & Jimmie Robinson) got a lot more reps and will add depth/weapons. Not so sure about Mercer being the weakest non-TO SoCon air game, but OK...until the Bears win against a good FCS Schollie Team, any evaluation can be considered fair, I guess.

eiu1999
September 21st, 2015, 09:51 AM
VMI @ Furman
Samford @ Louisville
Gardner-Webb @ Wofford
Emory & Henry @ East Tennessee State​

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2015, 10:06 AM
1.Chattanooga - showed why they are still number 1 in the conference
2.Samford - number 2 got beat by number 1
3. Furman - fantastic game. Will probably find a way to win the conference this year
4. Wofford - close game
5. Citadel - for all the talk this past week you think it would have been closer
6. Mercer - not sure what happened here
7. VMI - got beat out by
8. WCU - Have managed to put up 20 points in 2 games against tough opponents

Last 3 are pretty much tied for last

Chattanooga @ PC - would be hilarious if UTC lost, but not happening.
GWU @ Wofford - Wofford should win this one easily this year
Samford @ Louisville - Yup
Charleston Southern @ The Citadel - SoCon is still weak against OOC opponents
VMI @ Furman - Furman's D should win this game
WCU @ Bye - Western's offense could not find a way to move the ball.

Agreed.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2015, 11:00 AM
SoCon POTW announced. http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=210360191

Furman's Trey Robinson the DPOTW and Jon Croft Hollingsworth is STPOTW.

If you didn't see Trey Robinson's two picks against UCF, you missed something special. Guy is a freak athlete.

citdog
September 21st, 2015, 11:04 AM
SoCon POTW announced. http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=210360191

Furman's Trey Robinson the DPOTW and Jon Croft Hollingsworth is STPOTW.

If you didn't see Trey Robinson's two picks against UCF, you missed something special. Guy is a freak athlete.

Is your kicker planning on assassinating someone? Why the three names? To distinguish himself from the bat**** crazy Hollingsworth who has the textile factory on Laurens rd between Mauldin and the Motormile?

BearDownMU
September 21st, 2015, 11:06 AM
Week off should help is right - Got whipped by TTU - played without leading Receiver this season, TE/WR (hybrid), Robert Brown & the Bears' most dangerous Receiver/Return threat, Chandler Curtis. Hopefully, both will be back full strength for Woffy. Good news is 3 more very talented FR (TE, Sam Walker & WR's, Marquise Irvin & Jimmie Robinson) got a lot more reps and will add depth/weapons. Not so sure about Mercer being the weakest non-TO SoCon air game, but OK...until the Bears win against a good FCS Schollie Team, any evaluation can be considered fair, I guess.

Also our 2nd team All SoCon Sr CB has been out since Week 1.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM
Found em

First one: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13694246

Second one: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13695419

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2015, 11:13 AM
Also our 2nd team All SoCon Sr CB has been out since Week 1.

As I noted in the preseason, Mercer's schedule this year is going to test their depth like it has not been tested in the first two. All hands on deck pretty much every week from here on out.

OL FU
September 21st, 2015, 11:13 AM
Is your kicker planning on assassinating someone? Why the three names? To distinguish himself from the bat**** crazy Hollingsworth who has the textile factory on Laurens rd between Mauldin and the Motormile?

Bat **** Crazy Hollingsworth was a great man ( at least when he died and left all of his estate to that wonderful damn near TR institution of higher learning):)

oh and you forgot "Furman Sucks"

PaladinNation
September 21st, 2015, 11:41 AM
Found em

First one: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13694246

Second one: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13695419

that second interception is pretty crazy… Reggie Thomas broke on the ball, and I'm not sure how TR still caught it.
Also, I'm pretty sure Trey was left off first and second SoCon pre season teams, pretty big oversight. But I guess we will see how he fears against SoCon competition this season.

Toby
September 21st, 2015, 12:02 PM
Massey FCS Composite (National)

1. UTC (7)
2. Samford (17)
3. Citadel (31)
4. Furman (34)
5. Wofford (36)
6. WCU (59)
7. Mercer (64)
8. VMI (96)
9. ETSU (119)

Looks about right. Interesting to see Citadel, Furman and Wofford so tightly bunched.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2015, 12:08 PM
that second interception is pretty crazy… Reggie Thomas broke on the ball, and I'm not sure how TR still caught it.
Also, I'm pretty sure Trey was left off first and second SoCon pre season teams, pretty big oversight. But I guess we will see how he fears against SoCon competition this season.

That was the most egregious oversight on the preseason accolades. I get why (Robinson missed a good bit of time last year), but it is hard to ignore him.

Mocs123
September 21st, 2015, 05:14 PM
VMI -17
Furman -35

Samford - 24
Louisville - 35

Charleston Southern - 17
Citadel -21

Gardner Webb - 20
Wofford - 42

Chattanooga - 42
Presbyterian - 13

Emory & Henry - 21
ETSU -24

1.) Chattanooga - D got back on track after an early scare by Samford
2.) Samford - Explosive offense, but a tough game this week
3.) Furman - Great win against UCF, Almost put them #2, and they may end up there next week.
4.) Wofford - Wish they could have taken an FBS game, but put up a strong fight none the less
5.) Citadel - Killing themselves with turnovers
6.) Western Carolina - Talented team looks down and out. Will they turn it around or check out?
7.) Mercer - Really needed that win vs. TTU. More talented team then 7th.
8.) VMI - All downhill after Ball State.
9.) ETSU - Can the Bucs pick up their first win this week?

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2015, 09:27 AM
I always enjoy the "power poll" put out by the local Macon paper. http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/peach-state-sports-blog/article36088542.html

I get that these things are one man's opinion, but I would give a shiny nickle to anyone that can offer a defense to that ranking and pass the laugh test.

BearDownMU
September 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
I always enjoy the "power poll" put out by the local Macon paper. http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/peach-state-sports-blog/article36088542.html

I get that these things are one man's opinion, but I would give a shiny nickle to anyone that can offer a defense to that ranking and pass the laugh test.

His audience is middle Georgia.

Where's my shiny nickle?

;)

chattanoogamocs
September 22nd, 2015, 11:12 AM

That was the same guy that back a couple of years ago said GA State would have no problem with likes of FCS level Chattanooga in football.

Bwahahahaha

FUBeAR
September 22nd, 2015, 12:29 PM

Where's my shiny nickle?

;)

There you have it. Pay the man, Paladin Fan!

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2015, 12:46 PM

Where's my shiny nickle?

;)

Had forgotten that his 1, 2, 3 in his week 3 poll were the exact same as those in his week 2 poll. (http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/peach-state-sports-blog/article35299962.html). Notwithstanding that both Samford and Mercer lost.

Not sure what has to happen for either Macon native Chris Hatcher's team or Mercer to drop in the poll. Waiting to see whether Mercer moves up to #2 after thoroughly beating Bye this weekend.

Poor Wofford, though. Lost to two FBS teams on the road but smacked around the team that just beat Mercer and gets relegated to 7th. Hard to impress the Telegraph apparently.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
There you have it. Pay the man, Paladin Fan!

Once I can relocate a shiny enough nickle, I will gladly pay.

Toby
September 22nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
Once I can relocate a shiny enough nickle, I will gladly pay.

I'm just surprised that you think ANY of the Power Polls are worth a nickel. But then maybe you really meant "nickle"

ElCid
September 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM

Where's my shiny nickle?

;)

Dude, I live in the middle of Middle Georgia, and he is still an idiot. I want a shiny quarter.

BearDownMU
September 22nd, 2015, 06:39 PM
Dude, I live in the middle of Middle Georgia, and he is still an idiot. I want a shiny quarter.

Dude, get in line

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2015, 07:20 PM

Filling to void left by Bill Shanks.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2015, 09:50 PM
That was the same guy that back a couple of years ago said GA State would have no problem with likes of FCS level Chattanooga in football.

Bwahahahaha

Next week is a good week to find out. Liberty heading to Georgia State. See if the Panthers can notch an elusive win over an FCS program.

chattanoogamocs
September 22nd, 2015, 11:53 PM
Next week is a good week to find out. Liberty heading to Georgia State. See if the Panthers can notch an elusive win over an FCS program.

I just looked at their record this year and HOLY COW...they have a win and are currently leading the Sun Belt. Stop the season now! There is no where to go but down.

AshevilleApp2
September 22nd, 2015, 11:57 PM

Liberty will whip Georgia State's ass.

Baldy
September 23rd, 2015, 04:32 AM
Liberty will whip Georgia State's ass.
GAg State will score some points, but Liberty should be able score almost every time they touch the ball.

Baldy
September 23rd, 2015, 04:39 AM
I just looked at their record this year and HOLY COW...they have a win and are currently leading the Sun Belt. Stop the season now! There is no where to go but down.
They won the pillow fight in Las Cruces.

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
They won the pillow fight in Las Cruces.

There was definitely a liberal amount of sarcasm in my post. :)

Baldy
September 23rd, 2015, 03:40 PM
There was definitely a liberal amount of sarcasm in my post. :)
My sarcasm detector went off as scheduled. ;)

Everyone in the conference thanked NMSU for jumping on that grenade.xlolx

blueballs
September 23rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
Maybe things have changed over the last 6-7 years, but that was THE main problem with the Chris Hatcher coached teams at GSU.

For Samford's sake, I hope that isn't an issue any longer.
Yep, that and the spectacular fallout in his 2008 recruiting class.

Baldy
September 24th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Yep, that and the spectacular fallout in his 2008 recruiting class.
An ex player (who played for Sewak, Van Gonad, and Hatcher) I used to work with told me one on one that the S&C program under Hatcher was a complete and total joke. The workout regimen was high school quality or worse. Several of the players took it upon themselves to work out on their own to try and stay better conditioned. Players would go into Iron Works, look at the schedule, laugh, do their little workout and leave. That explains the massive amount of injuries we had in 2008 & 2009.

Last I heard, that "strength coach" is now at Dartmouth, so at least he didn't follow Hatcher to Samford.

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2015, 09:40 PM
VMI 21
Furman 24
(A: 7,915)

Samford 3
Louisville 45

Charleston Southern 33
The Citadel 20
(A: 11,998)

Gardner-Webb 0
Wofford 16
(A: 6,932 )

Chattanooga 21
Presbyterian 0

Emory & Henry 27
East Tennessee State 24
(A; 8,413)

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Going to be a long season for the Bucs.

LarryBoy
September 26th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Chattanooga outgains PC 400-117, and PC turns the ball over three times. Someone tell me how the game was this close?

Furman's defense continues to play really, really well– held VMI to roughly 200 yards fewer than their season average. Furman's offense continues to be flat and unimpressive. Gave VMI a short field many, many times. Furman also had over 100 penalty yards. We'll take a conference win, but right now there's only half of a good team here.

Thanks Wofford, for giving the SoCon another elusive Big South victory.

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2015, 09:47 PM

I think that most would agree that Emory & Henry was their best chance for a win.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Chattanooga 12,652
Jacksonville State 15,812
Mars Hill 9,491

2. Western Carolina 12,348
Mars Hill 12,338

3. Mercer 11,267
Stetson 11,267

4. The Citadel 9,570
Davidson 8,665
Western Carolina 8,048
Charleston Southern 11,998

East Tennessee State 7,996
Kennesaw State 8,217
Maryville 7,357
Emory & Henry 8,413

5. Wofford 6,883
Tennessee Tech 6,834
Gardner-Webb 6,932

6. Samford 6,887
Central Arkansas 6,259
Florida A&M 4,714
Chattanooga 9,088

7. Furman 6,563
Coastal Carolina 6,563

8. VMI 5,016
Morehead State 5,016

chattownmocs
September 26th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Is 21-0 close? If it was 35-14 or 38-17 would that be close?

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Chattanooga outgains PC 400-117, and PC turns the ball over three times. Someone tell me how the game was this close?

Furman's defense continues to play really, really well– held VMI to roughly 200 yards fewer than their season average. Furman's offense continues to be flat and unimpressive. Gave VMI a short field many, many times. Furman also had over 100 penalty yards. We'll take a conference win, but right now there's only half of a good team here.

Thanks Wofford, for giving the SoCon another elusive Big South victory.

I like what I see out of the defense. Fast and aggressive.

Second straight week Furman has held opposing QBs to 50% or less on completions with multiple picks. Last two games 11 TFLs, 4 sacks, and 5 picks. That'll do.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Is 21-0 close? If it was 35-14 or 38-17 would that be close?

It was 14-0 in the 4th quarter. Most would consider that pretty close against a big underdog.

Mocs123
September 26th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Our defense played really well as you can probably gather from the stats. On offense we were very conservative and didn't look fantastic. We shot ourselves in the foot a few times. We turned it over twice, and we left some other points on the table. We faked a FG for some reason, and then we missed another one after a high snap.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Reminds me of our game against PC last year. Was pretty confident PC would't score on us unless we did something stupid to turn it over on a short field. Sure enough, that's exactly what we did.

jsnow84
September 26th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Tough loss for my Keydets today. Congrats to Furman. Didn't see CSU beating the Citadel. Lots of surprises today. At least my Trojans are up big at halftime. :)

ETSUfan1
September 26th, 2015, 11:39 PM
I think that most would agree that Emory & Henry was their best chance for a win.

Only chances left for a win are vs Warner (NAIA) and Kentucky Wesleyan.

chattownmocs
September 27th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Reminds me of our game against PC last year. Was pretty confident PC would't score on us unless we did something stupid to turn it over on a short field. Sure enough, that's exactly what we did.

Pure fantasy as usual by you. They beat you guys. This was a 3 td thumping. There was nothing remotely similar about the games.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Tough loss for my Keydets today. Congrats to Furman. Didn't see CSU beating the Citadel. Lots of surprises today. At least my Trojans are up big at halftime. :)

This is not your father's VMI team. They are no pushover. They'll bite someone this season. Glad we are past them.

SU DOG
September 27th, 2015, 07:57 AM
My big question is how is it possible for Charleston Southern to keep Jamey Chadwell? This guy has to be one phenomenal coach, and I don't understand why some program with more resources hasn't grabbed him.

Mocs123
September 27th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah. He has done a phenomenal job at Chuck South. I can't imagine they can keep him long term.

Interesting week in the SoCon. Chattanooga, Wofford, and Furmans offenses never really seemed to put it all together.

PaladinNation
September 27th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Yeah. He has done a phenomenal job at Chuck South. I can't imagine they can keep him long term.

Interesting week in the SoCon. Chattanooga, Wofford, and Furmans offenses never really seemed to put it all together.

Interesting that all three games were played in the upstate, and the weather was sloppy… to say the least. Not sure about Clinton or Spartanburg, but at Furman the game atmosphere was pretty damp.

CBF said after the game, that some would call Furman's performance as flat, he credited VMI. The Keydets came out with energy, and they stacked the line, and Furman's receivers came out of the gate dropping passes, and fumbled after a big catch. Getting behind 14-0 in that weather, is a credit to the defense.

I'm pretty sure Cobb will be having nightmares of Corey Magwood.

Fingers-crossed our offense will get things turned around, we were on fire against CCU, and just did enough to win against UCF and VMI. The good news is this defense is creating turnovers, that's going to help.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 27th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Saw the final yesterday and it made me sick to my stomach. Torbush had better find a way to win or he will find himself out of a job.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 27th, 2015, 09:52 AM
My big question is how is it possible for Charleston Southern to keep Jamey Chadwell? This guy has to be one phenomenal coach, and I don't understand why some program with more resources hasn't grabbed him.

I am trying to figure out why ETSU did not grab Chadwell. Chadwell is an ETSU alum (was on the 1996 squad that made the playoffs) and knows how to win games. Chadwell is my first choice to succeed Torbush.

chattanoogamocs
September 27th, 2015, 11:04 AM
ETSU was Torbushed.

That guy is not the answer and the quicker that ETSU figures it out, the better for their program.

jsnow84
September 27th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Torbush has never been a good HC. He will probably not be in TN long.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Torbush has never been a good HC. He will probably not be in TN long.

Wasn't he the one that was canned after Furman beat the stuffing out of UNC?

chattanoogamocs
September 27th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Wasn't he the one that was canned after Furman beat the stuffing out of UNC?

Torbush was the coach when Furman beat UNC in 1999...but he actually continued on for one more season after that (and ironically, after finishing 3-8 in 1999, he actually got better his last year, 6-5).

- - - Updated - - -

Year
Team
Overall
Conference
Standing
Bowl/playoffs

Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Tech_Bulldogs_football) (Independent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_independent_schools)) (1987)

1987 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Louisiana Tech (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Louisiana_Tech_Bulldogs_football_team)
3–8

Louisiana Tech:
3–8

North Carolina Tar Heels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football) (Atlantic Coast Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference)) (1997–2000)

1997 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
1–0*

W Gator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Gator_Bowl)

1998 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
7–5
5–3
T–4th
W Las Vegas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Las_Vegas_Bowl)

1999 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
3–8
2–6
T–8th

2000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
6–5
3–5
T–6th

North Carolina:
17–18
10–14

East Tennessee State Buccaneers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Tennessee_State_Buccaneers_football) (NCAA Division I FCS independent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_independent_schools)) (2015)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
East Tennessee State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_East_Tennessee_State_Buccaneers_football_team )
0–4

0–0

East Tennessee State:
0–4

0–0

Total:
20–30

CSU18
September 27th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Not 100% on this, but I think Chadwell's family has moved to SC. I know he loves what CSU stands for and is definitely pleased with the administration's desire to improve things. Not saying he'll be at CSU forever, but I'm pretty sure they're paying him well, he loves the school's mission, he loves Charleston, and the majority of his family now lives in SC. I'm sure he'd love to go back to ETSU and turn things around, but I got my fingers crossed that it's not for a few more years.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Torbush was the coach when Furman beat UNC in 1999...but he actually continued on for one more season after that (and ironically, after finishing 3-8 in 1999, he actually got better his last year, 6-5).

- - - Updated - - -

Year
Team
Overall
Conference
Standing
Bowl/playoffs

Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Tech_Bulldogs_football) (Independent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_independent_schools)) (1987)

1987 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Louisiana Tech (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Louisiana_Tech_Bulldogs_football_team)
3–8

Louisiana Tech:
3–8

North Carolina Tar Heels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football) (Atlantic Coast Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference)) (1997–2000)

1997 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
1–0*

W Gator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Gator_Bowl)

1998 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
7–5
5–3
T–4th
W Las Vegas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Las_Vegas_Bowl)

1999 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
3–8
2–6
T–8th

2000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_team)
6–5
3–5
T–6th

North Carolina:
17–18
10–14

East Tennessee State Buccaneers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Tennessee_State_Buccaneers_football) (NCAA Division I FCS independent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_independent_schools)) (2015)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
East Tennessee State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_East_Tennessee_State_Buccaneers_football_team )
0–4
0–0

East Tennessee State:
0–4
0–0

Total:
20–30

I couldn't remember. North Carolina canned Torbush's replacement after Furman darn near beat them in 2006.