PDA

View Full Version : Villanova's John Robertson out

Gangtackle11
September 19th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Returning Walter Payton winner John Robertson of Villanova was injured in the 4th quarter in today's game vs. Delaware. The injury is to his knee and reportedly he will miss at least 4 weeks.

Backup RS Frosh Zachary Bednarczyk rallied the Cats past the Blue Hens 28-21.

dewey
September 19th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Returning Walter Payton winner John Robertson of Villanova was injured in the 4th quarter in today's game vs. Delaware. The injury is to his knee and reportedly he will miss at least 4 weeks.

That stinks. I had the pleasure to meet him in Frisco last January and he was a super nice young man...God I feel old after saying that.

Hopefully he heals quickly and returns for you guys.

Dewey

KPSUL
September 20th, 2015, 05:38 PM
...God I feel old after saying that.

Dewey

Don't worry young man, it will seem much more natural calling older and older guys "young man' each successive year!

ngineer
September 20th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Too bad to hear that. How did it happen. On a run, scramble or sack. At Lehigh there is concern the same could happen to our QB Shafnisky with the number of times he runs.

CasualFan
September 20th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Did it happen on the play where the defender was flagged for a late hit?

If so, he was running out of bounds, but stretching a bit. He was out, but hadn't put his feet down out of bounds when the defender gave him a push. He slid and rolled and ended up on the track. Didn't look like much when I saw it, but since he was already going full steam he rolled pretty far. When he got up he was favoring the leg a bit, then a few plays later he dropped when he tried to accelerate.

Hate to see that happen.

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM
Did it happen on the play where the defender was flagged for a late hit?

If so, he was running out of bounds, but stretching a bit. He was out, but hadn't put his feet down out of bounds when the defender gave him a push. He slid and rolled and ended up on the track. Didn't look like much when I saw it, but since he was already going full steam he rolled pretty far. When he got up he was favoring the leg a bit, then a few plays later he dropped when he tried to accelerate.

Hate to see that happen.

Play or two after. It was like a 2 yard QB keeper to the left of center on 1st or 2nd and goal. A type of play he's run probably a 100 times. Just a fluke think when he got tackled his foot planted/got dragged under him. Nothing dirty, no crazy hit, no weird cut back or anything.

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2015, 09:53 AM
Injury at about 0:20 in the video for anyone who is curious. It's not too gruesome to watch don't worry
http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/john-robertson-injured-villanova-football-wildcats-win-over-delaware-blue-hens

World
September 21st, 2015, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear this

A truly great player

Fordham
September 21st, 2015, 01:34 PM
Sorry to hear this

A truly great player

agreed. Prognosis still 4 weeks? If 'Nova can somehow get by, at least he'll be fresh for the rest of the skid and playoff run. Good luck

tribe_pride
September 21st, 2015, 02:07 PM
Not sure if it has been posted anywhere but 4 weeks is:
9/24 - Penn - should win anyway
10/3 - Bye
10/10 - W&M - toughest matchup in the stretch
10/17 - @Albany - Should win anyway.

If they can get out 2-1 at worst (which they should), that puts them to 4-2 with @Towson, Maine, @URI, Richmond, and @JMU to go. Last 2 are toughest of that group.

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2015, 02:44 PM
MRI was today....still no word. All I've officially heard is no Penn game

GannonFan
September 21st, 2015, 03:40 PM
Frankly, he's too fragile at this point in his career to really count on. It's a shame, he's a great kid and player, but he's taken too much of a beating at this point in his career to be able to count on him being out there consistently.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 21st, 2015, 06:04 PM
Agree with Gannon. I've felt for a while that JR just takes too many hits. This was a non contact injury but you have the think that the accumulation of 3+ years of wear and tear was a contributing factor.

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2015, 07:14 PM
A summary of Robertson's career usage record. It didn't realize quite how much much he's done in his career til I laid it all out.
Rushing: 684 carries, 3643 yds
Passing: 561/875, 7290 yds

A summary of Robertson's injury track record
2015- PCL injury (missed 1 game (Penn) and counting)
2014- Concussion (missed 1 playoff game)
2014- Broken hand (played through it and won the Payton playing about 5 games with a cast on)
2013- Played all but 1 drive
2012- Played all put 3 drive after taking over the starter role at halftime vs Temple

Anovafan
September 22nd, 2015, 08:43 AM
PCL is torn. Waiting on options. Completely my personal opinion....I can't see him playing again for Nova. He has pro aspirations and he won't pass the NFL physical with a torn PCL so that means surgery and that means rehab and that means no more season.

Nova09
September 22nd, 2015, 09:46 AM
PCL is torn. Waiting on options. Completely my personal opinion....I can't see him playing again for Nova. He has pro aspirations and he won't pass the NFL physical with a torn PCL so that means surgery and that means rehab and that means no more season.

I'm not making any predictions about JR specifically but your off on your medical prognosis. PCL tears more often than not are treated without surgery. Eric Decker tore his yesterday and the Jets don't expect surgery. Rehab exercises to regain range of motion can be enough. More relevant than confirming a tear is identifying if this is level I, II, or III.

Anovafan
September 22nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
I'm not making any predictions about JR specifically but your off on your medical prognosis. PCL tears more often than not are treated without surgery. Eric Decker tore his yesterday and the Jets don't expect surgery. Rehab exercises to regain range of motion can be enough. More relevant than confirming a tear is identifying if this is level I, II, or III.

That is completely my personal opinion, and I am certainly no doctor. I am purely speculating.

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Another site is reporting that JR is likely out for the season. The Bednarczyk era has officially begun if true. Get well JR!!

taper
September 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
There's a big difference between a partial and total tear of a ligament. I had a complete tear of my ACL(right next to the PCL) and surgery was the only option. Partial tears often heal on their own if you give them time. Also not a doctor, but BTDT.

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
The guy won the Walter Payton with his hand in a cast for half of the regular season. If there is any possible way for him to see the field between the William and Mary game 10/10 and the NC 1/9 you better believe he will be out there.

....If there isn't, Bednarczyk will take over and win the Jerry Rice award in 8.25 games and win the NC himself. It's very simple really

bluehenbillk
September 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Nova put out a release today confirming he has a PCL tear and is out "indefinitely".

Says he will try to rehab the knee, if that doesn't work he will have season ending surgery.

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
Nova put out a release today confirming he has a PCL tear and is out "indefinitely".

Says he will try to rehab the knee, if that doesn't work he will have season ending surgery.

Andy's a strategy man. Doesn't want teams to know if they only need to prepare for Bednarczyk or the 2 QBs. Belichick would be proud.
But Andy did that with Szczur back in '10 when he was coming back from his injury. He would stand on the sideline with helmet in hand. Against Delaware he only touched the ball 3 times, but he was Keeler always had to think about him

Nova09
September 22nd, 2015, 03:33 PM
Andy's a strategy man. Doesn't want teams to know if they only need to prepare for Bednarczyk or the 2 QBs. Belichick would be proud.
But Andy did that with Szczur back in '10 when he was coming back from his injury. He would stand on the sideline with helmet in hand. Against Delaware he only touched the ball 3 times, but he was Keeler always had to think about him

Speaking of Szczur, if Bednarczyk could squeeze another z in I'd feel really good about him.

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Feel bad for JR. Great example of a student-athlete. Wall Street career awaits him when he hangs them up.

Zach Bednarczyk is the real deal. I'm confident that he will build a nice QB resume himself. My concerns are immediate as I'm not sure they have any backup QBs on scholarship. Frosh QB on scholarship has been hurt.
That read option spread makes them vulnerable. Let's hope that doesn't play out anytime soon.

Nova09
September 22nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
Playing the way-too-far-ahead-of-ourselves game, since that is what message boards are for, if the injury is season ending it would be grounds for JR's second medical hardship. Would we then pursue a 6th year of eligibility? Would John want that to make his case for scouts that he's healthy? Would the team want that or be ready to move on? Would it depend how Bednarczyk does? Would it just be depressing if John gets the year but during preseason looks a step slow and clearly not the starter?

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
Here is the press release: http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092215aaa.html

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Playing the way-too-far-ahead-of-ourselves game, since that is what message boards are for, if the injury is season ending it would be grounds for JR's second medical hardship. Would we then pursue a 6th year of eligibility? Would John want that to make his case for scouts that he's healthy? Would the team want that or be ready to move on? Would it depend how Bednarczyk does? Would it just be depressing if John gets the year but during preseason looks a step slow and clearly not the starter?

All legitimate comments/questions.

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2015, 04:16 PM
All legitimate comments/questions.
He's got a case:
1) the injury/illness is a season-ending injury;
2) the injury/illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the season; and
3) the injury/illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than the greaterof three contests/dates of competition or 30% of the team’s scheduled contests/dates ofcompetition during the team’s traditional season. (Bylaw 14.2.4)

But remember when the NCAA vetoed Ray Ventrone's medical hardship

HailSzczur
September 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM

I think a lot hinges on how Bednarczyk does. If Bednarczyk does well I bet he sees that this is his team now and that it would be more disruptive to spend the spring/summer focusing on "if John still has it" as opposed to building around John. If Bednarczyk is just average or lower, I could see him taking a run at a 6th year. Even if he doesn't end up being the starter, there is a lot that John can contribute to the team as a back up, helping prepare the offense and calling in the plays. Look at the NC team in '09, Whitney had an excellent backup in Antown Young. And last year Robertson had a veteran Chris Polony backing him. You can't say that those two had no impact on the success of those teams.

Another thing to consider is what J.R.'s professional aspirations are. If it's the NFL, I don't really see him trying for the 6th year, too much risk of further injury or job security before getting his first pay check. If he wants to head back to Wall Street he could hang it up so he could work next summer. But on the other hand staying at Nova another year should allow him to finish up whatever grad program he is in, which I wouldn't be surprised if it was an MBA. Must be rough to have to decide between working out for NFL teams or going back to a job on Wall Street.

....but anyway, lets give this another few weeks until we know for sure. I doubt Andy will really give too much of an update until after the bye week. I'll have to tell my little brother to keep an eye out for J.R. on campus and see what kind of a brace he's wearing

Anovafan
September 22nd, 2015, 06:56 PM
It's a complete tear. Out a min of 8 weeks assuming he could even come back with a brace on but that is highly unlikely. And that is assuming a playoff game, which is very much in doubt with the injuries Nova has right now. I believe we have seen his last down as a wildcat. Who knows about the nfl. Very sad for a truly great person, classy and amazingly talented player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nova09
October 5th, 2015, 11:42 AM
It was mentioned in the W&M thread, but for those who don't care about that game specifically but do care about JR's status: out for season has been confirmed. He has seen Dr. Andrews, advised to skip surgery but put in 6 months of rehab before full football activities. Will have to be a late pro-day in March to try to prove he is worthy of a contract.

Fordham
October 5th, 2015, 11:43 AM
that sucks guys. Sorry for your program and for him having to miss so much of his last season of college ball.

Southern Bison
October 5th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Could he get a medical redshirt for this year & come back in '16?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

clenz
October 5th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Could he get a medical redshirt for this year & come back in '16?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
He appeared in 1 game in 2011 and then voluntarily red shirted....

His chance of a medical is <.00000000000000001 unless Nova has medical documents proving the reason he didn't play again was an injury that kept him out all year.

You can't red shirt for the hell of it and then get a medical.

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Talley on CAA call today said JR is out 6 months. Saw Dr. Andrews and no surgery. He will be rehabbing to attempt to tryout professionally. Talley praised him as one of the greatest Wildcat football players.

The Zach Bednarczyk era has officially begun.

Nova09
October 5th, 2015, 12:53 PM
He appeared in 1 game in 2011 and then voluntarily red shirted....

His chance of a medical is <.00000000000000001 unless Nova has medical documents proving the reason he didn't play again was an injury that kept him out all year.

You can't red shirt for the hell of it and then get a medical.

Actually 2011 was a medical redshirt, so he would be practically guaranteed a 6th year if he applied for it. That is not the plan, though.

Nova09
October 5th, 2015, 12:54 PM
The Zach Bednarczyk era has officially begun.

Begun, yes; but now expect the Bednarczyk/da Silva debate.

centennial
October 5th, 2015, 12:57 PM
If he wants to take a shot at the NFL, next year would be his chance. Get on practice squad somewhere and work his way up.

CHIP72
October 5th, 2015, 02:58 PM
My personal opinion is John Robertson is not good enough to be an NFL quarterback, or more accurately does not have the right skill set to be an NFL QB; he might have to shift to WR or kickoff returner to make it in the league. We'll see what happens though.

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I had pretty much resigned myself to this reality 2 weeks ago when the injury happened, but seeing it in officially in print now just kills me. To see the rug get pulled out from underneath a classmate just is crushing. This hurts just as much as seeing a tearful Hilliard and Pinkston on the bench after the NCST game in March. It just pains the Villanovan in me to watch.

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2015, 03:44 PM
...ANNOUNCERS ON COMCAST....ALLUDED TA ROBERTSON......WHO INTERNED ON WALL STREET DIS SUMMER......SKIPPED SUMMER WORK-OUTS......HAS UH FUTURE JUGGLIN'...ALL YER PORTFOLIOS...xscanx...BROCK!

SAM HOUSTON LADS........STAY AWAY....FROM...MERRILL/LYNCH.........xcoolx.....OCK!

melloware13
October 5th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Maybe he can team up with Pat Devlin for the Battle of the Blue QB Financial Firm, obviously headquartered in Wilmington

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 5th, 2015, 06:51 PM
How good is Zach? Can a Villanova supporter here provide a realistic expectation for the Cats the rest of the way?

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2015, 08:01 PM
How good is Zach? Can a Villanova supporter here provide a realistic expectation for the Cats the rest of the way?

Replaced Robertson mid drive and threw for a TD. Next drive was a GW TD scramble.
Against Penn looked shakier, but we were also trying to replace 2 O-line starters on 3 days of practice. Finally started to settle in during the 2nd half.

.....So it's anybody's guess. Still not enough to decide. I really know nothing about him other than the Delaware and Penn games

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Came from DePaul Catholic in Wayne, NJ. His HS plays against top NJ parochial schools like Don Bosco & Bergen Catholic. He's a less experienced left handed John Robertson. Possesses accurate arm in spread offense & has capability to scramble. I call him "Robertson" Lite in a lefty version.

He's going to be decent to very good.