PDA

View Full Version : Valparaiso vs. College of Faith

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Yes, they're back again, this time with a new satellite campus in Arkansas and on the road this weekend to Valpo.

Last week, the Faith Warriors had minus-four yards total offense and lost to Div. II McKendree 68-0.

http://valpoathletics.com/football/news/2015-16/14845/crusaders-continue-homestand-saturday-with-college-of-faith/#.VfzUBN9Viko

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Valpo will probably lose. xlolx

hebmskebm
September 18th, 2015, 11:03 PM
For some reason this game is going to be on ESPN3. Not too often a team that lost 56-3 the week before is fully expected to win by at least that much the following week.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2015, 11:11 PM
I might have to watch.

dgtw
September 18th, 2015, 11:15 PM
A 21 man roster?

FargoBison
September 18th, 2015, 11:41 PM
For some reason this game is going to be on ESPN3. Not too often a team that lost 56-3 the week before is fully expected to win by at least that much the following week.

It is also on ESPN College Extra...making it a featured ESPN3 game. All I could say is WTF when I saw that.

Laker
September 19th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Why does the NCAA allow this game?

dgtw
September 19th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Why does the NCAA allow this game?

They don't count it as an official game, but I doubt they can ban the game altogether.

Can you watch it on ESPN3 after it is over? I can't watch it live but might be a hoot to see it on replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAalum72
September 19th, 2015, 08:36 AM
They don't count it as an official game, but I doubt they can ban the game altogether.

Can you watch it on ESPN3 after it is over? I can't watch it live but might be a hoot to see it on replay.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYes, ESPN3 archives games for a year, I think

Sandlapper Spike
September 19th, 2015, 09:32 AM
One of two "non-counters" this week being played by D-1 teams, along with Morgan State-Virginia University of Lynchburg.

Nickels
September 19th, 2015, 10:07 AM
COF is coming to play Houston Baptist in a few weeks....They may actually be favored against the Huskies. How bad is Valpo?

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2015, 10:30 AM
College of Faith? kind of reminds me of the weekend warriors... military reservist...

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Now if we were talking Valparaiso, ChileCarib would be much more interested in the game and you can take that from an old sailor..

JALMOND
September 19th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Valpo will probably lose. xlolx

Aw, have faith, my friend.:D

Lehigh'98
September 19th, 2015, 12:42 PM
They actually put a line out on this game. -49.5 can't believe that.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Valpo calls for a fair catch on the opening kickoff, which COF kicked to the 39...Ensuing play is taken to the one yard line before Valpo punches it in on the next play.

After the extra point, Valpo leads College of Faith 7-0, 29 seconds in...

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Saint Francis MUST cancel this game - it is an embarrassment for any FCS program to schedule a non-sanctioned "club" team such as COF.

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Valpo calls for a fair catch on the opening kickoff, which COF kicked to the 39...

So, they kicked from the 35 and it goes to the 39?

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:14 PM
After an offsides on their first play, a sack and an incomplete pass, COF has 4th and 18. Valpo recovers a muffed punt at their own 49 yard line, but loses 15 yards due to a personal foul. This is going to be ugly.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Valpo should be ashamed. BS

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:18 PM
You watching PantherRob? This is embarrasing; Valpo just rushed for about 30-40 yards on that play...and TD on the next play. So that's 5 plays, 120+ yards, and two TDs for Valpo.

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM
But you know the CoF promoters will be telling those recruits "We played on ESPN!"

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Valpo is up 14-0 with just 2:55 played. They have run 5 plays on offense for 2 TDs.

BTW - Valpo entered the game 0-2 losing by a combined score of 108-13 to Eastern KY and Sacred Heart.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:24 PM
This is embarrasing...CoF has negative yardage through 2 series, and look like a bad high school team. They have 7 total lineman, and those players do not look like traditional college lineman.

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM
This is a glorified scrimmage vs a team that has no business being on the field.

COF cant run an offense play at all - first 2 drives have lost a combined 30 yards. Valpo is a horrible team in its own right, but this is not even a game.

PantherRob82
You watching PantherRob? This is embarrasing; Valpo just rushed for about 30-40 yards on that play...and TD on the next play. So that's 5 plays, 120+ yards, and two TDs for Valpo.

I stopped watching because it's f$%^#@* bulls#$%. ;)

CasualFan
This is just pathetic. COF had -13 yards on their last drive, then a 7 yard punt.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm done too. I'm not going to let ESPN count my eyeballs for their advertisers on this travesty.

grizband
Wind catches the CoF punt, which goes for a net of 7 yards. Valpo gets the ball back around the CoF 30 yard line...Why am I watching this game?

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Wind catches the CoF punt, which goes for a net of 7 yards. Valpo gets the ball back around the CoF 30 yard line...Why am I watching this game?

It tells us a lot about you. xlolx

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I stopped watching because it's f$%^#@* bulls#$%. ;)
Why do I keep doing this to myself? Guess I wanted to see what the CoF stories were all about...Valpo isn't even a great FCS team.

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2015, 01:28 PM
If Valpo can do this, then SFU will literally put up 100+ by playing every backup they have.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:32 PM
24 yard fieldgoal, and Valpo now leads 17-0 with about 6:30 left in the first quarter.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:36 PM
CoF calls their second timeout in the first quarter, because they can't get plays into the huddle fast enough.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 01:43 PM
If Valpo can do this, then SFU will literally put up 100+ by playing every backup they have.

I hope we do so. Get some publicity. Break the 222-0 record.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Saint Francis MUST cancel this game - it is an embarrassment for any FCS program to schedule a non-sanctioned "club" team such as COF.

They were willing to come to Loretto. Worry about yourself.

dgtw
September 19th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Love a game thread. Keep me updated. Jax State up 7-0 here.

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2015, 01:52 PM

Listen, I think SFU has a very good team and could possible win the NEC this year - I'm always rooting for them in the non-conference. But a game vs. a "club" team like COF is beneath the program. There is absolutely nothing positive the Red Flash will get out of this game. You would be better served with a bye week.

I'd like to see SFU get more Ivy games, get Bucknell, or even some PFL teams, plus the step up games vs the CAA - but no way you can justify a game vs a "college" that isn't accredited, nor is a member of the NCAA (at any division) or NAIA.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Valpo has a first and goal, after a personal foul by CoF at the 11 yard line.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Another TD for Valpo, who now lead CoF 31-0 early in the second quarter.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I could get 20 guys to come to PA for a game. What an embarrassment. I'd say your program should be ashamed of itself, but it has been for quite some time.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 01:56 PM
College of the Faith vs. Savannah State in Arlington.

Who wins?

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Listen, I think SFU has a very good team and could possible win the NEC this year - I'm always rooting for them in the non-conference. But a game vs. a "club" team like COF is beneath the program. There is absolutely nothing positive the Red Flash will get out of this game. You would be better served with a bye week.

I'd like to see SFU get more Ivy games, get Bucknell, or even some PFL teams, plus the step up games vs the CAA - but no way you can justify a game vs a "college" that isn't accredited, nor is a member of the NCAA (at any division) or NAIA.

We tried to schedule those teams for this year. No takers. We needed a home game. It is unfortunate, but you have to make due.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 01:59 PM
The fact that the announcers are taking this game seriously adds to the lucidity.

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2015, 02:14 PM
College of the Faith vs. Savannah State in Arlington.

Who wins?

Savannah by 60. Remember, Davidson beat one of these franchise schools 56-0.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Savannah by 60. Remember, Davidson beat one of these franchise schools 56-0.

Yeah, I know but it is fun to speculate.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Valpo scores again, making it 51-0 in the 3rd quarter.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Valpo intercepts CoF on the next play; instantly back in the red zone.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Valpo now leads 58-0 over CoF with 8:47 left in the 3rd quarter.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Announcers just said Valpo already has 280+ rushing yards, averaging 9 yards/carry, towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Valpo just scored another TD, to go up 65-0 over CoF towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I think some e-mails are in order.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Valpo scores again, lead CoF 65-0 in the 4th quarter...and it's not even that close!

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:44 PM
It's actually 72-0 now...xrotatehx

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I hope we do so. Get some publicity. Break the 222-0 record.
Honestly, how is that even possible? That's at least 32 scores...

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Officials shortened the game, and the two teams are now playing a 10-minute 4th quarter...Valpo may still break 100 points

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Valpo has 7 sacks, and 15 tackles for loss...they take over at the CoF 42 yard line with about 6 minutes left in the 4th.

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Valpo returns a fumble, and now leads CoF 86-0. The announcers are way too excited about the return, the 13th touchdown for Valpo.

downbythebeach
September 19th, 2015, 04:08 PM
They are trending on twitter

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Final: Valpo 86 CoF 0

Thankfully this game is over...

CID1990
September 19th, 2015, 04:45 PM
what in the world is college of faith?

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Honestly, how is that even possible? That's at least 32 scores...

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

It has been done before.

downbythebeach
September 19th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I just watched the first few minutes. COF gets a false start on their first play of the game. I feel bad for the Valpo players, you know the other students at the school are clowning them. It's all over reddit and twitter. Apparently some of the COF player's uniforms ripped during the game and had to play with their butt cracks sticking out.

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2015, 05:23 PM
It has been done before.

I understand it can be done, just cannot image. I was at a 77-0 games, which I thought was absolutely ridiculous (which it was). 3x is really hard to fathom.

downbythebeach
September 19th, 2015, 05:29 PM
THIS SAME TEAM PLAYS HOUSTON BAPTIST AND TEXAS SOUTHERN THIS YEAR. TWO MORE FCS.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Vaplo deserves to have the full force of NDSU, UNI, SDSU, Montana, EWU, etc... laid on their ass

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Vaplo deserves to have the full force of NDSU, UNI, SDSU, Montana, EWU, etc... laid on their ass
From what the announcers explained, this game with CoF was scheduled when St. Joe's cancelled their game to accomodate the addition of another conference game. Still think Valpo could have found a better opponent...

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM
From what the announcers explained, this game with CoF was scheduled when St. Joe's cancelled their game to accomodate the addition of another conference game. Still think Valpo could have found a better opponent...
**** that. I wish Valpi had the balls to schedule a MVFC or Big Sky team.

Let them be treated like the reject of a D1 program that they are.

Sadly those programs has the courtesy to not drop 80 on them

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 05:39 PM

I dont' disagree with you, Clenz. It was really embarrasing, and Valpo is a bad FCS team...

Model Citizen
September 19th, 2015, 05:44 PM

Don't you know those testosterone supplements are shrinking your junk?

dgtw
September 19th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I understand it can be done, just cannot image. I was at a 77-0 games, which I thought was absolutely ridiculous (which it was). 3x is really hard to fathom.

There was a high school game last week that was 107-90. In a 48 minute game.

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Basketball school.xrolleyesx

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 19th, 2015, 08:40 PM

It is rather astounding to the imagination.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:01 PM
https://www.facebook.com/valpoathletics is a good place to add comments on this garbage. :)

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Twitter works as well

ngineer
September 19th, 2015, 10:09 PM
But you know the CoF promoters will be telling those recruits "We played on ESPN!"

They recruit?

RedFlash
September 21st, 2015, 02:30 PM
Just so it's clear, St. Francis is playing the University of Faith this week - not the College of Faith who played Valpo this week. Sadly there are a few teams using the "Faith" name.

With that said, this is an embarrassment for SFU. I would greatly prefer that they look to the DII ranks before scheduling teams such as this. (There are a number of DII PSAC schools that would represent a better test then this.) I realize scheduling problems occur - especially playing in a conference with only 7 teams and needing 5 OOC games each year - but there have to be better options then this.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 21st, 2015, 02:36 PM
Just so it's clear, St. Francis is playing the University of Faith this week - not the College of Faith who played Valpo this week. Sadly there are a few teams using the "Faith" name.

With that said, this is an embarrassment for SFU. I would greatly prefer that they look to the DII ranks before scheduling teams such as this. (There are a number of DII PSAC schools that would represent a better test then this.) I realize scheduling problems occur - especially playing in a conference with only 7 teams and needing 5 OOC games each year - but there have to be better options then this.

We need to join a better football conference, the NEC is a joke. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a better opponent, oh well, I am not embarrassed. These things happen.

clenz
September 21st, 2015, 03:03 PM
We need to join a better football conference, the NEC is a joke. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a better opponent, oh well, I am not embarrassed. These things happen.
They only seem to happen to Valpo, St Francis, and the likes of that. Never a Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, etc.. team

RedFlash
September 21st, 2015, 03:57 PM
They only seem to happen to Valpo, St Francis, and the likes of that. Never a Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, etc.. team

Again, I'm not apologizing for this scheduling, its an embarrassment, but comparing the scheduling issues of the Big Sky, MVFC and CAA with the NEC is really disingenuous. Those conferences have 13, 10 and 12 teams, respectively, so there are more conference games for each team. The NEC has six conference games and needs to try to add a team or two - although I doubt that will happen. Plus the conferences you mention give out more scholarships and play at a higher level. As a result, they can go and get guarantee games against FBS opponents to then go and pay lower level FCS teams to come to their towns to play guarantee games. I don't believe this is currently a valid option for SFU. (I know Wagner is playing two FBS opponents this season, but I don't know enough about SFU finances to say whether SFU can get to 61 "counters" so that the game would count for an FCS opponent.) As a result, SFU and other NEC teams have traditionally added a D II, D III or NAIA team (or two) to get their 11 games. I don't know what the circumstances were that prompted the scheduling of the U of Faith this year, but I can only hope that they made enough from Towson and YSU this year to get a better opponent in 2016.

Sandlapper Spike
September 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM
It would have been much, much better for SFU to play a D-3 squad. I also think it would have been better to not play another game at all (and lose a home date) rather than play a non-counter like this.

Lehigh'98
September 21st, 2015, 08:30 PM

Do you feel better now that you got that out of your system?

downbythebeach
September 22nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
A Southland conference team plays CoF this year.

hebmskebm
September 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
These are the NEC sub-DI games this season:

Wagner: none
Bryant: American International (DII)
CCSU: Bowie State (DII)
Sacred Heart : St. Anselm (DII)
St. Francis: University of Faith (Land of Make-Believe)
Robert Morris: The Other Notre Dame (DII)
Duquesne: Kentucky Christian (NAIA), Alderson-Broaddus (DII)

Again, I'll never begrudge a school for playing one sub-DI OOC per year, as long as they're an actual accredited institution. But cancellations or other weird circumstances aside, don't play more than one.

DetroitFlyer
September 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Yep, we sure don't want a single FBS team playing more than one game a season against the FCS....

UNDBIZ
September 22nd, 2015, 04:35 PM

UND played them in 2013 (a year in which we went 3-8 and proceeded to fire our head coach) and won 69-10. I can't imagine what one of the BSC/MVFC schools that was actually good that year would've done to them.

MTfan4life
September 23rd, 2015, 12:00 AM

For a guy who researches most of your posts before you write on here, I'm quite surprised you'd flub on that one. They played Western Illinois last year, UND the year before, YSU in 2011-12, WIU in 2010, and I know they have a future game scheduled with Montana in 2017.

The Yo Show
September 23rd, 2015, 07:29 AM
In 2011, YSU went 6-5 and beat Valpo 77-13.
In 2012 YSU went 7-4 and won 59-0 over Valpo. I was at both games.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 24th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Again, I'm not apologizing for this scheduling, its an embarrassment, but comparing the scheduling issues of the Big Sky, MVFC and CAA with the NEC is really disingenuous. Those conferences have 13, 10 and 12 teams, respectively, so there are more conference games for each team. The NEC has six conference games and needs to try to add a team or two - although I doubt that will happen. Plus the conferences you mention give out more scholarships and play at a higher level. As a result, they can go and get guarantee games against FBS opponents to then go and pay lower level FCS teams to come to their towns to play guarantee games. I don't believe this is currently a valid option for SFU. (I know Wagner is playing two FBS opponents this season, but I don't know enough about SFU finances to say whether SFU can get to 61 "counters" so that the game would count for an FCS opponent.) As a result, SFU and other NEC teams have traditionally added a D II, D III or NAIA team (or two) to get their 11 games. I don't know what the circumstances were that prompted the scheduling of the U of Faith this year, but I can only hope that they made enough from Towson and YSU this year to get a better opponent in 2016.

I have asked the administration about playing a FBS school. Our finances simply won't allow us to count as a win towards a bowl game.

RedFlash
September 24th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I have asked the administration about playing a FBS school. Our finances simply won't allow us to count as a win towards a bowl game.

How does Wagner do it then? Playing Rice and BYU this season.

Pinnum
September 24th, 2015, 11:04 AM
How does Wagner do it then? Playing Rice and BYU this season.

I thought I heard they were able to have academic merit scholarships used by football players count as merit scholarships for football for the counter without really having them be counted as football aid because they were not issued as football aid.

Though, I admit, I don't know much about Wagner so it is all second, third, or twelfth hand information...

Pinnum
September 24th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Also, San Diego got to play the San Diego State Aztecs because they wanted to sell the home date tickets and didn't care about not getting credit for the win since it brought in more money than a bye which was likely the alternative.

So you could still schedule an FBS but with so many scheduling options, teams would rather not pay for a team that won't help them get to a bowl game.

BEAR
September 24th, 2015, 04:07 PM
A Southland conference team plays CoF this year.

Well actually Houston Baptist..a transitional member...doesn't actually PLAY them...it will be more like a comedy of errors..where HBU will decimate the club team while looking badly themselves. But I wouldn't call it playing CoF. xlolx

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 25th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I thought I heard they were able to have academic merit scholarships used by football players count as merit scholarships for football for the counter without really having them be counted as football aid because they were not issued as football aid.

Though, I admit, I don't know much about Wagner so it is all second, third, or twelfth hand information...

That is pretty much how they do. Very clever and smart. FBS paydays are made days. However, some NEC administrators aren't always thrilled about the method.