PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Power Rankings w/ a Twist

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Since we've had some discussion about Power Rankings on various boards, I was thinking about other ways to view it for fun. Obviously, PRs are mostly opinion this early in the season, until you have more data and the results of head-to-head matchups. However, we all know who the smartest people in college football are when it comes to assessing the power of teams. Bookies! Therefore, I've compiled a Power Ranking below using info from those geniuses and will rank solely on one thing. Aggregate performance against the spread. Here's how it looks:

1) Samford +49.5
2) The Citadel +42
3) Mercer +35
4) Wofford +10
5) Furman +9
6) VMI -1.5
7) WCU -11
8) Chattanooga -37

A fun exercise and interesting way to view it. Let the barbs fly... http://images.proboards.com/v5/smiley/smiley.png

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I also did this crazy fast, so let me know if there was a math error. I already know there's probably a logic error.

ElCid
September 16th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Except that point spreads are not solely determined based upon team quality but also include on-going betting patterns. So while it might be close, it is not an exact evaluation.

clenz
September 16th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Except that point spreads are not solely determined based upon team quality but also include on-going betting patterns. So while it might be close, it is not an exact evaluation.
Yeah...lines are a pretty terrible way to rank teams.

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Not any more or less terrible than a random opinion based on guy's feelings before there have been many head to head matchups. lol

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2015, 01:04 AM
The best and worst teams in the SoCon play this weekend!

walliver
September 17th, 2015, 08:20 AM
The best and worst teams in the SoCon play this weekend!

... and apparently, Samford will win by 86.5 points. Not a game worth watching:D

BearDownMU
September 17th, 2015, 08:23 AM
... and apparently, Samford will win by 86.5 points. Not a game worth watching:D

No, I said AGGREGATE performance against the spread. Pay attention. This covers 2 games. So Samford will win by 43.25

walliver
September 17th, 2015, 09:57 AM
No, I said AGGREGATE performance against the spread. Pay attention. This covers 2 games. So Samford will win by 43.25

In the game will be that close, it may be worth watching.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2015, 10:34 AM
In the game will be that close, it may be worth watching.

Without looking, I'll bet the amount due on my home mortgage, 2 cars loans, and various credit cards if I can get Chatt and 43 points this week. I'm cheerfully giving up the .25 points to which I am entitled. Any takers?

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Seems a pretty consistent disagreement on where to rank 0-2 Furman.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2015, 12:35 PM
That is to be expected as there are people like myself who think Furman is pretty darn good this year if they stay healthy, but others look at them being 0-2 and with a poor record last year and rank them low.

We should know who is right in a few weeks.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2015, 01:58 PM
That is to be expected as there are people like myself who think Furman is pretty darn good this year if they stay healthy, but others look at them being 0-2 and with a poor record last year and rank them low.

We should know who is right in a few weeks.

We knew going into this season that Furman was going to be a bit of an enigma. Two weeks into the season we still don't know a whole lot about them.

Hard to gauge their defense against an offense as good as CCU's (arguably the best offense in the FCS). Hard to gauge our offense against Virginia Tech (traditionally one of the top defenses in the FBS). Should know a bit more in the next two weeks against UCF and VMI.

Sandlapper Spike
September 17th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Even then, I'm not sure we'll have a solid foundation on which to assess Furman...

Baldy
September 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Even then, I'm not sure we'll have a solid foundation on which to assess Furman...
I like your Sports Arsenal blog, Spike. xthumbsupx

Are you coming to the game?

Sandlapper Spike
September 18th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I won't be at this one, I'm afraid. Three (or four) consecutive football Saturdays is a bit difficult for me, for a couple of reasons. I'll be watching it on ESPN3, though.

Baldy
September 18th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

I won't be at this one, I'm afraid. Three (or four) consecutive football Saturdays is a bit difficult for me, for a couple of reasons. I'll be watching it on ESPN3, though.
That's a shame. It's an easy road game, but I understand.
If you have visited Paulson in the past, you would be blown away by all the changes. It's going to be a great atmosphere...should be a sell out by game time. xthumbsupx