PDA

View Full Version : USD is the Mid-Major Champion

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
USD defeats Monmouth 27-7 in the Gridiron Classic. Hopefully in the upcoming years we can add some more words to the championship title xlolx

th0m
December 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Congrats!

December 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
USD is the winner of the 2006 Gridiron Classic. Congrats!

FlyYtown
December 2nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
LMAO.. San Diego. Congrats on beating the Mid-Majors. You have no place in the normal CS......

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
USD wins the Gridiron Classic, against a ranked team, at the ranked team's field! Hopefully, USD moves up in the final CS polls! And I'm sure everyone knows where I think USD should have been playing last week and maybe even this week.... Go USD and Go PFL!!!!!!!

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
"first NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision Mid-Major National Champion"

As mythological a title as the HBCU national championship (not played on the field) and the Football Bowl Subdivision championship (not recognized by the NCAA)...

December 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
"first NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision Mid-Major National Champion"

As mythological a title as the HBCU national championship (not played on the field) and the Football Bowl Subdivision championship (not recognized by the NCAA)...They could call themselves that if the NCAA would push the legislation through (it was withdrawn for this year's session).

ISUMatt
December 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
USD is the tallest Midget!!

December 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
USD is the tallest Midget!!Now now...

catbob
December 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
I've gave USD fans a lot of crap over the course of the season, but I'll congratulate you here. You do have a fine team, hopefully you will learn not to schedule yourself out of the playoffs next year, I'd love to see what you could do.

Pantherpower
December 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM

Oh my, too funny!! http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:n6S1CuZ3GfbWLM:http://img1.travelblog.org/

Tod
December 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Congrats, USD!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

MiamiTorero
December 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
LMAO.. San Diego. Congrats on beating the Mid-Majors. You have no place in the normal CS......

we DOMINATED Mid Majors not just beat... but thanx on the CONGRATS

NDSUFREAK
December 2nd, 2006, 05:29 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

bkrownd
December 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM

Ignore 'em. The old timers are always jealous when outsiders threaten to crash their private pajama party.

NFLCB2
December 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM

I dont think you dominated it but hats off to SD played a great game Johnson is a good player in a good system. Now mid-majors unite and gang up on the rest

YaleFootballFan
December 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Congratulations on a fine season, USD! :thumbsup:

3rd Coast Tiger
December 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
Congrats on your National Championship! :bow:

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Congrats on your National Championship! :bow:

What national championship did they win? :confused: :confused:

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
What national championship did they win? :confused: :confused:

They will win the Sports Network Cup (aka Mid Major National Championship).

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
They will win the Sports Network Cup (aka Mid Major National Championship).

Sports Network Cup aka Mid-Major National Championship? :confused:

No such thing recognized by the NCAA. Again, it's a mythological title, even if it's played out on the field, due to lack of recognization by NCAA, similar to the Football Bowl Subdivision's "national championship"...

There has been legislation regarding this in the past, but it didn't fly...

NFLCB2
December 2nd, 2006, 07:29 PM
By them being TSN nat champs they still wont get respect and thats what both teams where playing for. WE dont want to be kings among men WE want to be Kings among Kings

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
By them being TSN nat champs they still wont get respect and thats what both teams where playing for. WE dont want to be kings among men WE want to be Kings among Kings

No matter how you break it down, this is not a national championship...

It just honors the top I-AA mid-major team and is voted on...not exactly determined at the Gridiron Classic, which only is representative of the NEC and PFL, does not include the MAAC...
----------------
The Sports Network Cup, created in 2001, honors the nation's top I-AA mid-major college football program. Those institutions eligible to receive The Sports Network Cup currently includes the 22 programs of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), Northeast Conference (NEC), and Pioneer Football League (PFL), which participate in football at a non-scholarship or limited scholarship level. Voting for The Sports Network Cup is conducted at the conclusion of each season, and consists of media covering I-AA mid-major schools, as well as media relations professionals from each of the 22 eligible institutions.

This group also votes weekly on The Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10 Poll, announced each Monday during the regular season, and for the preseason and postseason I-AA Mid-Major All-America teams. Like the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup, The Sports Network Cup can only be in the possession of its recipient while that institution is the reigning champion, and must be transferred to the reigning champion if and when a new champion is named.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSNcup.htm

lizrdgizrd
December 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Congrats to USD for beating Monmouth. Hopefully you'll get a better schedule next year and the chance to prove you belong in the playoffs.

downbythebeach
December 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM

How can someone from YSU be such an elitist, you sound like a I-A or BCS fan
I went to a YSU game this year with a YSU student who used to go to a big east school but failed out, you sound just like him while watching YSU....he kept calling it high school football and complaining about how bad the team was...

Guard Dawg
December 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I hear the San Diego team and staff are getting national champion rings again this year. How can a school that can't afford scholarships afford to buy rings?

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/120206aaa.html

(West Long Branch, NJ) - For the second straight year the USD football team is the Mid-Major National Champion after they defeated 2nd-ranked Monmouth University today 27-7 in the inaugural Gridiron Classic. The Torero defense held the Hawks to just one score, while the offense generated 324 yards of offense. Eric Bakhtiari and Ben Hannula led the defensive effort, while Josh Johnson orchestrated the Torero offensive efforts. Bakhtiari had a monster game, finishing with 9 tackles (6 solo), 4.5 tackles for loss (-22 yards) and 3 quarterback sacks (-17 yards). Hannula pulled in two interceptions to stop Hawk drives, including a 37-yard interception return for a TD for the game's first score. The Toreros finish the season with an 11-1 record, and will be awarded the Sports Network Cup on December 14th in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

"I told the team after the game how proud I was of them," said head coach Jim Harbaugh. "This is the best USD football team in the history of the program. They went 7-0 in the PFL, played its toughest schedule, knocked off the 2nd ranked team in today Gridiron Classic, and were ranked as high as No. 14 in the national polls."

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 10:42 PM
*****This isn't smack*****
That said, it doesn't bother me if they want to buy National Championship rings. BS teams get rings for winning bowl games, so that means there are 31 'champion' rings this year in the BS. (I know that Conference Champs also buy rings, but a Conference Championship is worth something. Not the 'Let's have a Bowl, just to have a Bowl Bowl') As long as they don't think they have won 'The National Championship' that's fine with me. The true National Champion will be crowned on Friday December 15th at roughly 11PM Eastern.

Torero Tradition
December 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Rings are a lot cheaper than scholarships at USD... trust me! USD had a great year and a great team. I really hope they have a better schedule next year. The team should be a lot better, which should make it another exciting year in San Diego.

From the SportsNetwork today...
San Diego captures Sports Network Cup
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - After defeating Northeast Conference champion Monmouth, 27-7, in the inaugural Gridiron Classic on Saturday, San Diego remains at No. 1 in the final Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10 Poll of 2006. The top billing means that the Toreros will be the recipient of the 2006 Sports Network Cup, to be presented on Dec. 14th, on the eve of the NCAA Division I Football Championship title game in Chattanooga, TN. San Diego received all 20 first-place votes and 200 points in the final poll to finish the season as the wire-to-wire No. 1 team in the rankings.

The Toreros become the first team in the six-year history of The Sports Network Cup to claim back-to-back honors, and are the first team to win two Sports Network Cups overall. The Toreros claim’s the PFL’s third honor, with Dayton also winning the hardware in 2002. Sacred Heart won the inaugural Cup in 2001, while Duquesne took home the hardware in 2003 and Monmouth won the cup in 2004 before the Toreros claimed the last two titles. San Diego went 11-1 under head coach Jim Harbaugh this season.

In at No. 2 is Monmouth, which finished its season with the Northeast Conference title and a 10-2 record after the loss to San Diego. With no other action among teams in the top 10, every other team held its position in the poll. Drake, Central Connecticut State and Albany complete the top five, with Duquesne, Robert Morris, Davidson, Stony Brook and Jacksonville rounding out the top 10.

The Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10 poll includes the 21 programs of the MAAC, NEC, and Pioneer Leagues, which play at a non-scholarship or limited scholarship level. An updated poll, which is based on the votes of selected media members and I-AA/FCS mid-major Sports Information Directors, is announced each Monday during the regular season.

12/04 13:05:30 ET
------------------

It is amusing to me that people still bag on USD. By the way, UC-Davis is a lot better team than people think and give them credit for. IMHO, I think they are a top 20 CS team without a doubt.

Should be a great weekend of CS football. Can't wait to watch the games, good luck to everyone still in it!

December 5th, 2006, 02:09 AM
... IMHO, I think they are a top 20 CS team without a doubt...Oh please, have you looked? :eyebrow: Have you ever looked at other top 25 teams? How many have you seen play? :cool:

SpreadtheRed
December 5th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Oh please, have you looked? :eyebrow: Have you ever looked at other top 25 teams? How many have you seen play? :cool:

Ralph you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to write basically that same thing before I scrolled down and saw you posted it.

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
What was the score of that UCD / Montana State game again? Yes, the playoff participant, Montana State.... Ralph, anyone? By the way Ralph, where is UCD rated in your beloved GPI, how about their conference?

Since I certainly do not expect to get an answer, I looked it up myself. In the latest GPI, UCD was ranked at #18 with a 5-5 record. Since then, they have defeated #13 ranked USD. Their conference was rated as the #1 conference in all of CS. So tell me again how UCD is not a top 20 CS team. Anyone? Ralph?

BeauFoster
December 5th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Ralph, I asked him that over a month ago and never got an answer.

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I hear the San Diego team and staff are getting national champion rings again this year. How can a school that can't afford scholarships afford to buy rings?

Trust me, I went to grad school at USD and for what they charge in tuition, they could easily afford schollies. Shoot, my student loan is enough to support one.

Pard4Life
December 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I went to the Gridiron Classic and I'm finally able to post..

I was very disappointed in Harbaugh. Less than two minutes to play, Monmouth turns the ball over on downs at their own 40-35. Does San Diego kneel it? No... First play Johnson runs to the outside for 9 yards... two plays later.. he guns it towards the end zone... mind you the score is 27-7 right now.... totally classless... now I can see why so many San Diego scores are horribly lopsided...

But I was pretty impressed with Johnson.. accurate passing, mobile, fast... however he literally is the entire offense.

monmouthhawk
December 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I went to the Gridiron Classic and I'm finally able to post..

I was very disappointed in Harbaugh. Less than two minutes to play, Monmouth turns the ball over on downs at their own 40-35. Does San Diego kneel it? No... First play Johnson runs to the outside for 9 yards... two plays later.. he guns it towards the end zone... mind you the score is 27-7 right now.... totally classless... now I can see why so many San Diego scores are horribly lopsided...

But I was pretty impressed with Johnson.. accurate passing, mobile, fast... however he literally is the entire offense.

This is the only thing that pissed me off in the game, other than MU's turnovers...

USD is a great team, but their coach is scum.:nonono2:

Guard Dawg
December 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
You guy's have to be kidding right.... the mighty NEC, their top team is complaining that the little ole Pioneer League Champ was running up the score on them in their own place?

monmouthhawk
December 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM
You guy's have to be kidding right.... the mighty NEC, their top team is complaining that the little ole Pioneer League Champ was running up the score on them in their own place?
No their coach is a scumbag. Familiar?

Torero Tradition
December 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Why is Harbaugh a scumbag? :flagged:

JamesHarbaugh
December 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
No their coach is a scumbag. Familiar?

I am a scumbag.

We should have been in the playoffs not playing Monmouth! Actually I think we could have beaten any of the 16 teams pretty handily.

MiamiTorero
December 5th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I am a scumbag.

We should have been in the playoffs not playing Monmouth! Actually I think we could have beaten any of the 16 teams pretty handily.

Im sure ur really Jim Harbaugh... wow you have a life. I love how SD is really hated by many of you. To answer your questions... no USD do not think we are THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS... we know we are the MID MAJOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONS... And that is our title right? Its not self proclaimed? I mean sportsnetwork.com is official or not? Just checking... Gotta love everyone that tried to shoot us down somehow. Pathetic : smh :

Mountaineer
December 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I am a scumbag.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Troll or not, James is crakin' me up. :p

USDfan
December 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
For all the "belly-achin'" by Toreros on this site for us not making the play-offs... quit yer snivlin'! It's all about the W's. We had an almost "weightless" schedule. We lost to UC Davis(I could care less if UCD beat Montana St.). And so now we're overlooked for the play-offs, OH BOO HOO!:bawling:

Dayton laughed at us. Holy Cross laughed at us. Yale laughed at us. They ain't laughin' no more. No sir, they ain't a laughin' now.:nonono2:

A hearty "Thank You" to all of you on the list who have acknowledged our accomplishments.:thumbsup:

For those of you who still don't respect us:

We'll be back next year. xazzx

appman87
December 6th, 2006, 12:37 AM
What is the purpose of the mid major championship? Nothing national about it. Two weak conferences playing for the best of what.

December 6th, 2006, 12:45 AM
...I mean sportsnetwork.com is official or not? ...Not. It is a media award.

Grizfanatic
December 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Mid Major??? What the hell is that..some cheerleading competition? Your schedule was weak, you played nobody... and nobody really gives a damned about some sportsnetwork rating/ranking/prize...

bitch at your AD and get a better/tougher freakin schedule... play NDSU, Montana, AppState or someone on that level... earn a shot!!:bang:

ereiz03
December 6th, 2006, 01:01 AM
"Gotta love everyone that tried to shoot us down somehow. Pathetic"

It is pretty sad how people on here bash USD no matter what they do.

Grizfanatic
December 6th, 2006, 01:18 AM
"Gotta love everyone that tried to shoot us down somehow. Pathetic"

It is pretty sad how people on here bash USD no matter what they do.

Nobody shot you down, your schedule shot you down! Also what did USD do? oh yeah played a weak schedule...

What I find pathetic is that USD fans have done nothing but piss and whine about not being in the playoffs... slinging conspiracy theories and all that crap... you expect everyone to look at your record and not the schedule behind and blindly agree that you are something special... like i said get a real schedule, beat some Appstates, YSU's, Montana's and then and only then can ya expect any kind of respect!

Pard4Life
December 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
No, I don't hate San Diego. I actually like your school and was quite intrigued with their Ivy games the past several seasons.

However, the attitudes of the team's posters on here are less than desirable.

Harbaugh's actions at the end of the game were classes. A fade pattern to the endzone on first from the 25-30 with less than two minutes to play? Honestly...

Like I said earlier, I was very impressed with Johnson. However, he and your team will never get respect until they eliminate teams like Azusza and Dixie and play Cal Poly, Montana, etc. The PFL is very weak, but if they win those solid non-conference games, sweep the PFL, why not an at-large? Fans just need to realize the reality of the present situation.