PDA

View Full Version : Princeton OL comes out

bonarae
September 16th, 2015, 01:10 AM
He is expected to play this Saturday. He is currently the only openly gay major college football player right now.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-09-15/princeton-football-offensive-lineman-mason-darrow-tells-website-he

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2015, 01:39 AM
He is expected to play this Saturday. He is currently the only openly gay major college football player right now.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-09-15/princeton-football-offensive-lineman-mason-darrow-tells-website-he

You forgot the " " on "major". :p

CID1990
September 16th, 2015, 02:42 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about the entire OL being gay

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

smallcollegefbfan
September 16th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Princeton is major college football? LOL.

I would change that to openly gay to the public. There are players who are known to be gay by their teammates, coaches, and NFL teams. Last year there was 2 players known to be gay by the entire NFL and their schools but they did not want to tell the media.

Players aren't afraid of their fans or NFL teams knowing but the media. If they media would not make a huge deal like this you would see more players admit to it.

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Looking forward to ESPN's wall-to-wall coverage of his NFL Draft prospects, combine, and draft-day(s) in 2017.

smallcollegefbfan
September 16th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Looking forward to ESPN's wall-to-wall coverage of his NFL Draft prospects, combine, and draft-day(s) in 2017.

I doubt you will see it. He would have to be a legit draft prospect. The only way he will become a story to ESPN is if he is an All-Ivy and All-American who attracts NFL teams to campus like their WR Seth Devalve is doing right now.

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2015, 08:42 AM
He would have to be a legit draft prospect. The only way he will become a story to ESPN...

Apparently, you've fallen a bit behind in your viewing of the world-wide leader recently. xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
September 16th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Apparently, you've fallen a bit behind in your viewing of the world-wide leader recently. xeyebrowx

I will say that I don't watch ESPN much but they made a big deal because Sam was the SEC DEF POY and they thought that on paper it looked like the NFL was being a bigot. It appeared to be a big story.

After seeing Sam in the CFL and how he did in practices at NFL teams it is clear he is not NFL caliber. This guy is going to have to be legit in order to get the hype because ESPN has looked bad on the Michael Sam thing with how unstable he has been off the field and how bad he has been on it. Sam was the SEC DEF POY so this guy will have to be a 1st team All-American and even then because this is FCS you may not see ESPN care so much.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I'ts a non-story now that Michael Sams has broken the seal.

BEAR
September 16th, 2015, 09:05 AM
I'ts a non-story now that Michael Sams has broken the seal.

Several times apparently. xnodx

Just another attention whore.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2015, 09:10 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Jy4T8J8trSSlO/giphy.gif

FormerPokeCenter
September 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM
All this does is make any holding calls he gets a little creepy...

BucBisonAtLarge
September 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Michael Sam was the SEC Defensive POY. It was the SEC. It was the NFL draft. He was the first. It was too sweet a chance to challenge the yee-haw bubbaspace with a bit of the 21st century.

The guy is at Princeton. His older brother was on the team. That is probably as good a situation as one might get in Division I football to come out.

It is good for football if a gay 6'5, 285 lb.kid chooses to play football. This is the future. Make room, lunkheads.

walliver
September 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I have quickly lost interest in pseudo-history.

There may be some value to being the first, but when just being gay gets attention it is of little value. This is not news.

A Princeton student is gay, what's next? ... A Liberty student comes out as a born-again Christian?

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the entire OL being gay

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Delaware would take it in a Rehobeth Beach minute

Daytripper
September 16th, 2015, 02:00 PM

There may be some value to being the first, but when just being gay gets attention it is of little value. This is not news.

A Princeton student is gay, what's next? ... A Liberty student comes out as a born-again Christian?

It is just a social barrier being broken down. Jackie Robinson was the first black MLB player, but I'm sure the second one got some news coverage too. Eventually it won't be a thing.

BEAR
September 16th, 2015, 02:16 PM

Words for those coming "out":
You will be praised. You will be criticized. You chose to verbally tell the world now expect both. Get over it.

Mods: Can we move this to another board? Doesn't really have much to do with this FCS football board.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Words for those coming "out":
You will be praised. You will be criticized. You chose to verbally tell the world now expect both. Get over it.

Mods: Can we move this to another board? Doesn't really have much to do with this FCS football board.

Second.

Herder
September 16th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Donate a kidney or do something good for you community . . . .otherwise who cares. Gay is gay, who cares. The history of Princeton is a good story. If he is a good person, that's a good story.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Bottom line is, can he play? All that really matters.

Cocky
September 16th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Has a player ever came out as openly hetero? If one would setup a press conference and do it he may get his 15 minutes of fame. SNL may let him do a cameo.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2015, 11:06 PM
It is just a social barrier being broken down. Jackie Robinson was the first black MLB player, but I'm sure the second one got some news coverage too. Eventually it won't be a thing.

The second player to break the color line was Larry Doby (pride of Paterson, NJ) with the Indians.

citdog
September 16th, 2015, 11:42 PM
The second player to break the color line was Larry Doby (pride of Paterson, NJ) with the Indians.

Incorrect. Larry Doby was a native of Camden, South Carolina.
A proud son of The Palmetto State.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2015, 11:54 PM
You are correct, citdog. Mr. Doby was, indeed, a proud son of South Carolina. He did, however, relocate from Canden, SC to Paterson, NJ after Eighth Grade at the age of 14, and attended Paterson Eastside High School.

Herder
September 17th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Has a player ever came out as openly hetero? If one would setup a press conference and do it he may get his 15 minutes of fame. SNL may let him do a cameo.

someone should do so, just to show the folly of how coming out is a non story. Eventually is now on how coming out is meaningless.

chattownmocs
September 17th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Michael Sam was the SEC Defensive POY. It was the SEC. It was the NFL draft. He was the first. It was too sweet a chance to challenge the yee-haw bubbaspace with a bit of the 21st century.

The guy is at Princeton. His older brother was on the team. That is probably as good a situation as one might get in Division I football to come out.

It is good for football if a gay 6'5, 285 lb.kid chooses to play football. This is the future. Make room, lunkheads.

The future? Did they figure out how to reproduce?

OSBF
September 17th, 2015, 08:12 AM
The future? Did they figure out how to reproduce?

Yes, actually "they" have

Lots of "them" have very normal family lives with very normal kids

chattownmocs
September 17th, 2015, 08:18 AM

That's not reproduction.

BEAR
September 17th, 2015, 09:17 AM
http://app.ihi.org/Training/ExtranetNG/Help/Team_Home_Page/Team_Web_Discussions/image14.jpg

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Are you sure those kids are "very normal?" Do we really have enough documented data over a long enough period of time to have conducted studies to validate that claim?

I'm not saying they aren't. 2 of "those normal kids" live across the street from me and seem just fine....I'm just honestly wondering about any actual non-biased (if such a thing exists anymore) studies/data on the subject. I'm sure we can all cite anecdotes and its fairly obvious that 2 hetero parents, or 1 single parent, or all kinds of blended step-relationships can completely screw up a whole passel of kids and some of those situations do end up raising a "normal kid" from time to time. And, I'm sure there are anecdotes that would support an argument for either side of the 2 same-sex parents successes/failures in raising "normal kids." Looking for long-term non-agenda-based data and studies with statistical relevance, if any exists.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM

All, day, every day, by the thousands... but I do think it would be a good SNL skit.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2015, 11:21 AM
All I care about is how our pass rush will be able to exploit him to sack the QB next week.

It's a modestly interesting thing but it has no bearing on the actual game.

Cocky
September 17th, 2015, 01:22 PM
All, day, every day, by the thousands... but I do think it would be a good SNL skit.

I guess I missed them. But I would have missed this guy too if it wasnt for AGS. Hell, I even miss the Sam guy everyone is referencing in the thread.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Hell, I even miss the Sam guy everyone is referencing in the thread.

They're referring to this guy...
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1375473010_samiam.jpg
...surely you know Sam?

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2015, 06:35 PM
All I care about is how our pass rush will be able to exploit him to sack the QB next week.

It's a modestly interesting thing but it has no bearing on the actual game.

Interesting point you, perhaps, inadvertently, raised there though...Do you think opposing players will now use less-than-politically-correct barbs, humor, questions, etc. to try to throw him off his game/get inside his head during play? I've heard there are, sometimes, words exchanged on the field of play other than "Nice hit, old sport."

dgtw
September 17th, 2015, 07:25 PM

How is football made better if gay people participate?

BucBisonAtLarge
September 17th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I was talking about a 6'5, 285 lb. offensive lineman. I don't care about his love interest, honestly.

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I was talking about a 6'5, 285 lb. offensive lineman. I don't care about his love interest, honestly.

Agreed!!

Bisonwinagn
September 17th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Why do the gay people always get the press? What about the frat guy having an orgy? or the swingers, prostitutes, sugardaddy's, nudists, Shemales. This is blatant discrimination that needs to be stopped, or everyone's lifestyle needs to be included.

bonarae
October 29th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Although a week old, ESPN was able to follow him up.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13957649

UNHWildcat18
October 29th, 2015, 09:00 PM
All I have to say is, so?

BEAR
October 29th, 2015, 09:01 PM
What does he and ESPN want a freakin cookie? xcoffeex

Catsfan90
October 29th, 2015, 10:02 PM
What does he and ESPN want a freakin cookie? xcoffeex
Or a Cosmo

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Several times apparently. xnodx

Just another attention whore.

Says the guy whose school produced the ugliest field in football xnodx xlolx

Go...gate
October 29th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Funny how this just faded away, and that is as it should be.

The only thing that matters - can the youngster play? Saturday afternoon I am hoping he and his teammates will handle Cornell. Princeton played an awful second half up at Cambridge last week.

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Or a Cosmo

Haha nice

Milktruck74
October 30th, 2015, 06:55 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21577&stc=1

Remember the Ridicule this guy got for "Coming Out"??????

mvemjsunpx
October 30th, 2015, 09:55 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21577&stc=1

Remember the Ridicule this guy got for "Coming Out"??????

I'm pretty sure 99% of the Tebow criticism is for being a sucky quarterback. xcoffeex

Lehigh'98
October 30th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure 99% of the Tebow criticism is for being a sucky quarterback. xcoffeex

Exactly, Kurt Warner did it many years ago. No one really gave it a 2nd thought.

Milktruck74
October 30th, 2015, 12:52 PM

Not when he was in college winning 10 games a year and Heismans.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 30th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Not when he was in college winning 10 games a year and Heismans.

My theory was that many people used Tebow's play as a cover for their anti-religious rhetoric.

And Tebow in the NFL was better than folks gave him credit for: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/tim-tebow-could-have-saved-5-gms-7-coaches-and-9-teams/20537/

The main difference is this: The Princeton player and Michael Sam has been supported by the mainstream media. Tebow, simply, was not.

Milktruck74
October 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
My theory was that many people used Tebow's play as a cover for their anti-religious rhetoric.

And Tebow in the NFL was better than folks gave him credit for: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/tim-tebow-could-have-saved-5-gms-7-coaches-and-9-teams/20537/

The main difference is this: The Princeton player and Michael Sam has been supported by the mainstream media. Tebow, simply, was not.

Come On, there is no media bias in America. They only report what is out there in a fair ano non judgemental manor....didn't you watch that CNBC debate on Wednesday? xeyebrowx