PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Classic: San Diego @ Monmouth Gameday Thread

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
0-0 with 7:47 left in first quarter.

Monmouth just intercepted Johnson pass in their own red zone.

Hawk ball on their own 12 yard line.

December 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Monmouth punts first possession. San Diego drives but gets intercepted at the Monmouth 10.
no score. 1Q

December 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Harbaugh: "This is a national championship game. It pits the 2005 champ San Diego versus the 2004 champ Monmouth so we'll see some championship play."

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Hanula intercepts a pass and returns it for a San Diego TD.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Monmouth's Boland was trying to hit his tight end and forced a pass into coverage. Hanula plays in some of the Torero coverage packages in addition to his offensive duties. He looked like a receiver after he intercepted the pass.

ToreroTime
December 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Is there a radio feed somehwere?

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Boland almost threw another pick to Hanula on the next series. Monmouth is punting now.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Don't know. I'm watching on CSTV.

ToreroTime
December 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I am going to a bar soon to watch it, 9 am games should be illegal

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Some early impressions after one quarter. Josh Johnson is very similar to Appalachian State's Richie Williams. He has slightly bigger size and appears a bit faster than Williams.

As far as playoffs are concerned, San Diego looks slightly below playoff-caliber. The Toreros have some speed, but not universally across the field, like some of the scholarship teams do. You can also see some of the depth problems, too, that USD would have with teams that have 63 schollies.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
J.T. Rogan scores on a 4-yard draw play. 13-0 USD after a missed PAT.

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Touchdown Torreros. Missed extra point.
13-0 USD.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
I am going to a bar soon to watch it, 9 am games should be illegal
9 a.m. is noon here on the east coast. I actually liked being able to get up and see a game at 9 a.m. when I lived in California. It's sometimes 1 a.m. out here when the last games on the west coast are done. I always liked getting the early TV games out there.

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM

Go to the GAMEDAY FREE AUDIO CLEARINGHOUSE thread, then click on Monmouth helmet.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Boland had only thrown three or four picks all year, but he has been playing with danger on his throws into coverage today. Monmouth gets a first down on a forced pass near midfield and then Brice picks up another near the USD 40 on a nice draw.

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
The audio on the Monmouth link is breaking up. Commercial.

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Monmouth punting after getting to the 47. USD fair catch at their 14 yard line.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
San Diego stepped up with some good defense to stop the Monmouth drive. The Hawks have been hurting themselves with negative yardage plays, but have moved the ball well at other times. They just need some consistency.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Monmouth punting after getting to the 47. USD fair catch at their 14 yard line.
They actually had a first down at the USD 42 or 43 before losing yardage.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Johnson made an NFL-caliber play with a throw that should have been completed near midfield. He was hit by Monmouth's Hill just as he released it, but hit his receiver in the numbers. The receiver dropped the pass and USD had to punt back to the Hawks.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Monmouth gets stung again after a long run gets called back for holding.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Sinisi ran the ball to the goal line on a great run, but a holding penalty brings it back.

WYOBISONMAN
December 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM
I think the Bison would have pounded USD pretty handily. That being said.....this game is a great way to get ready to watch the quarterfinals on GAMEPLAN!

been noticing some extra hits given by USD, Hawks players are now reacting by shoving back.

Mr. C
Monmouth gets stung again after a long run gets called back for holding.
What are your impressions of the two teams, Ralph?

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
been noticing some extra hits given by USD, Hawks players are now reacting by shoving back.
There was an early late hit personal foul by Monmouth on Josh Johnson as he was running out of bounds. That might be sparking some of the chippy play.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Monmouth has been making too many mistakes to win in a championship game. The two teams look fairly equal, but San Diego has been making fewer mistakes.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
I think the Bison would have pounded USD pretty handily. That being said.....this game is a great way to get ready to watch the quarterfinals on GAMEPLAN!
I have to agree with you after having seen the Bison a couple of times. North Dakota State would be too big, strong and deep for San Diego, though Johnson would gets his yardage running and passing.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Another NFL-type throw from Johnson, completing a 30-yard pass into that stiff wind. The kid has a gun. He is everything that was advertised and could be a Payton Award candidate next year.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
A couple of personal fouls on the two teams negates a play. These teams don't seem to like each other.

USDFAN_55
Another NFL-type throw from Johnson, completing a 30-yard pass into that stiff wind. The kid has a gun. He is everything that was advertised and could be a Payton Award candidate next year.
I've watched him a few times this year, and he does have a gun. If he can just add about 15-20 pounds he can be a legitimate day 1 draft pick.

Mr. C
A cheap shot by Monmouth's DB with a throw down of Hannula after the play was over. Dirty, dirty play by both teams.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I've watched him a few times this year, and he does have a gun. If he can just add about 15-20 pounds he can be a legitimate day 1 draft pick.
That will be the key for him in the off-season. Apparently, Johnson has been a little naive on his pro credentials until recently. Hear he is a good character, smart, leadership-type of kid, too.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Its getting a bit scrappy out there.....

On another note....I don't think I've ever seen a team so dependent on one player. Johnson is excellent. Without him San Diego wouldn't be nearly as good.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Great drive by the Toreros to get it to the four. Rogan TD run with 28 seconds left in the half.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
USD's Johnson is like I said months ago, the real deal. Rogan should get more carries, too bad he plays for this pass-happy O. USD's defense, which dominated the PFL is not so shiny today. Monmouth has guns too and their defense is hard-hitting. Mistakes are thwarting today so far but if they can keep USD out of the end zone enough the O will score.

Rogan scores again

USDFAN_55
December 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
That will be the key for him in the off-season. Apparently, Johnson has been a little naive on his pro credentials until recently. Hear he is a good character, smart, leadership-type of kid, too.
Well he had a late growth spurt. He was only 5'11" and 145 going into his senior year in high school. Now he is 6'3" and 190. I think he will be about 10 pouns heavier at the start of next season.

His former teammate, Marshan Lynch (Cal running back), speaks very highly of his character and leadership abilities. The two workout together in the off season, so Johnson has a very good workout partner to push him to achieve his full potential.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Its getting a bit scrappy out there.....

On another note....I don't think I've ever seen a team so dependent on one player. Johnson is excellent. Without him San Diego wouldn't be nearly as good.
They have some good talent (as they have had in this program for several years), but obviously Johnson is the star. Very, very impressed with him. I think the talk of him being a mid-range NFL pick in 2008 is accurate.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
The score should be 19-14. Monmouth has killed themselves with penalties.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Johnson almost throws an interception on the two-point conversion. 19-0 USD as the first half ends.

A cheap shot by Monmouth's DB with a throw down of Hannula after the play was over. Dirty, dirty play by both teams.That's called a tackle, I think the "dirty" play started very early from USD with constant legit late hits. Now Monmouth is responding with their own.

Halftime

19-0 USD

USDFAN_55
Should be, but isn't. Penalties ar a part of the game and Monmouth needs to play with more discipline.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Very much agreed. The stats are going to be misleading, because Monmouth has a good play and then screws up with a negative yardage play, or a penalty. The Hawks can score, if they can put together a consistent drive.

rmutv
December 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Wow. I've never seen Monmouth shoot itself in the foot so much. They better come out as a team possessed in the 2nd half.

San Diego sure is oppurtunistic as well, moreso than most teams.

Mr. C
Jim Harbaugh: "We've got to do a better job defensively. We've got to make them more one dimensional."

He says they'll have some adjustments for the Hawks in the second half.

danefan
Should be, but isn't. Penalties ar a part of the game and Monmouth needs to play with more discipline.

Wow...talk about chippy. I understand fully that penalties are a part of the game. I'm just saying that Monmouth is hurting themselves. Easy killer.

USDFAN_55
December 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Wow...talk about chippy. I understand fully that penalties are a part of the game. I'm just saying that Monmouth is hurting themselves. Easy killer.
I wasn't being snappy or agressive..... just stating a simple fact. We can sit here and say "should be's" all day long.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
I'm interested to see what what the total stats are compared to Johnson's stats. I bet he has accounted for all but 15 yds of San Diego's offense.
He's definitely good and could definitely be playing at the next level.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
I wasn't being snappy or agressive..... just stating a simple fact. We can sit here and say "should be's" all day long.

I must have misinterpreted your statement then.
But it cannot be argued that San Diego has not caused the entirety of the score. Monmouth has hurt themselves just as much as San Diego has hurt them.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Wow. I've never seen Monmouth shoot itself in the foot so much. They better come out as a team possessed in the 2nd half.

San Diego sure is oppurtunistic as well, moreso than most teams.
San Diego has a much better passing attack than most of the NEC teams I've seen. The NEC is an old-fashioned, hard-nosed, run-first league.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
NEC commercial shows no football, all basketball.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
San Diego has a much better passing attack than most of the NEC teams I've seen. The NEC is an old-fashioned, hard-nosed, run-first league.

Absolutely. Too one dimensional in many cases, as was the year for Albany.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM

Haha. I saw that too. Funny.

USDFAN_55
December 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
No surprise there.

Good interview with the Monmouth prez.

danefan
Monmouth President still talking about getting the NEC an AQ. Seems to me they'd be better to spend their time on getting the other schools to commit to 63 schollys first.

Or at least 50.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
That's called a tackle, I think the "dirty" play started very early from USD with constant legit late hits. Now Monmouth is responding with their own.

Halftime

19-0 USD
Disagree. The hit was fine. The throwing of Hanula to the ground after the pass was incomplete was over the edge. It was intimidation and nothing else.With all of the penalties for PFs that had been flagged earlier, he was lucky to not pick up another there. Like I pointed out earlier, Monmouth had the first PF early on a late hit of Johnson in the first quarter.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Disagree. The hit was fine. The throwing of Hanula to the ground after the pass was incomplete was over the edge. It was intimidation and nothing else.With all of the penalties for PFs that had been flagged earlier, he was lucky to not pick up another there.

That assumes he knows that Hanula didn't catch the ball. Had he caught the ball the tackle was completely fine. He couldn't see whether he caught it or not.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Good interview with the Monmouth prez.
They are interviewing the NEC commissioner now.

rmutv
December 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Very true, and I think the NEC plays that way moreso because of weather than anything. Usually by the time late October rolls around, the weather becomes so unpredictable, it's much easy to find some hosses to put a quality running back behind.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM
NEC commish sez "CFS" league hahahahahaa

December 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Disagree. The hit was fine. The throwing of Hanula to the ground after the pass was incomplete was over the edge. It was intimidation and nothing else.With all of the penalties for PFs that had been flagged earlier, he was lucky to not pick up another there. Like I pointed out earlier, Monmouth had the first PF early on a late hit of Johnson in the first quarter.That first one was a cheap call. As for the play in question, I think he thought the receiver made the catch. The refs obviously agreed. No penalty.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Have to disagree with her and the announcer that Monmouth and San Diego were "close" to getting playoff bids this year. The committee members I talked to said neither was all that close, because of strength of schedule issues.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
That first one was a cheap call. As for the play in question, I think he thought the receiver made the catch. The refs obviously agreed.
He had clearly broken up the pass. It was like two plays. There was a definite time lapse between the first hit that broke up the pass and then the body slam afterwards.

danefan
Have to disagree with her and the announcer that Monmouth and San Diego were "close" to getting playoff bids this year. The committee members I talked to said neither was all that close, because of strength of schedule issues.

Closer than any other NEC of PFL team before. I think thats what they meant and it sounds better to make it seem like they almost got in. I agree that neither was really close though.

nice guy
Is there a video feed of this game somewhere? or just audio via monmouth?

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
If you buy that SOS argument, I have some swamp land to sell you in NJ!

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
If you buy that SOS argument, I have some swamp land to sell you in NJ!

Where did anyone say SOS anywhere in this thread?

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
If you buy that USD and MU were not awarded playoff bids due to their respective strength of schedules, ( SOS ), than I have some swamp land in NJ to sell you.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
That assumes he knows that Hanula didn't catch the ball. Had he caught the ball the tackle was completely fine. He couldn't see whether he caught it or not.
I just thought there was a little too much intent involved with the play. Not saying Monmouth by any means has been the dirty of teams. They both are taking their share of cheap shots. The officials need to control things better.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
second half underway, look for adjustments on both sides

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
I just thought there was a little too much intent involved with the play. Not saying Monmouth by any means has been the dirty of teams. They both are taking their share of cheap shots. The officials need to control things better.

Monmouth has been known in the NEC to be a little on "scrappy" side. Not really dirty but a little scrappy.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
I have not studied it in any depth, but I have been amazed this season at all of the poor kicking.... My team, Dayton, was absolutely horrible, in spite of having good talent. USD struggles, but they score so many points it normally does not matter. Of course there are good kickers, ( Davidson ), but there are far too many poor kicking games.... Any thought why?

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Let's Go USD!!

Mr. C
If you buy that USD and MU were not awarded playoff bids due to their respective strength of schedules, ( SOS ), than I have some swamp land in NJ to sell you.
And how many committee members have you talked to? Sounds like you're coming up with a little X-Files conspiracy theory here.

If you buy that USD and MU were not awarded playoff bids due to their respective strength of schedules, ( SOS ), than I have some swamp land in NJ to sell you.pity partier alert :rolleyes:

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM

I don't want to turn this thread into SOS thread...but I will say that I believe USD and Monmouth were not awarded bids because their schedule nor anything else showed that they were one of top 8 teams left without bids. Based on this game I would have to agree. Both good teams with great years. But not good enough. And I won't respond when you reply because its off-topic, but I do respect your opinion Detroit.

Monmouth's Sweeny sacks Johnson again

DetroitFlyer
How good is MU at making second half adjustments? From what I have seen, this is a very strong aspect of USD's talented coaching staff.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
How good is MU at making second half adjustments? From what I have seen, this is a very strong aspect of USD's talented coaching staff.

Take that drive for an example and they looked pretty good. We'll see on offense.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
USD 26 yard punt

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
thats a heck of a run.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Monmouth's RS-Fr. running back David Sinisi is looking good.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Your kidding right? A committee member is going to admit that the PFL and NEC do not fund football enough to gain access to the playoffs.... SOS is a nothing but a very convenient way to exclude the NEC and PFL without admitting what is really going on.... Interested in that swamp land? And, I did not bring up the playoff snub in this thread, so apparently, I'm not the only one "off topic."

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
great pass completion to the USD two.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
nice 57 yd catch by O'Neal to the USD 1

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Looks like good adjustments by Monmouth. Pounding the ball and then play-action pass. Typical NEC football

December 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
19-7 USD 8:11 3Q

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Your kidding right? A committee member is going to admit that the PFL and NEC do not fund football enough to gain access to the playoffs.... SOS is a nothing but a very convenient way to exclude the NEC and PFL without admitting what is really going on.... Interested in that swamp land? And, I did not bring up the playoff snub in this thread, so apparently, I'm not the only one "off topic."
It wasn't off-topic. It was discussed during the halftime interview with the NEC commissioner.

You can believe what you want to believe. San Diego has proven it isn't a playoff team and I think Monmouth has too. Good teams, yes. Playoff teams, no.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Man, for some reason, there is no feed from the USD site. I'm forced to listen to the MU announcers.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Big series for both teams coming up.... CSTV delay.... For those of you watching CSTV, how is the broadcast? How does it compare to a normal BS game on a major network? CSTV is still hard to get many places, but I think it will be more widely available in the future.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Nice little sidebar on WR Miles Austin of Monmouth, now with the Dallas Cowboys. Good interviews with Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe. The production has been very good on this broadcast. Lots of nice extra stuff. Great job, CSTV!

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Interested in that swamp land?

If its in East Rutherford near Xanadu....I'll take it. :D

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
I really don't see much difference in talent between USD and Monmouth... except at one key position... unfortunately for Monmouth the talent gap at that one position... QB is huge.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
I saw the movie for the first time recently. I always liked ONJ and ELO is my all time favorite group!

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
That was a heck of a play by Johnson, but a huge half-time adjustment appears to be a full-time spy on Johnson.

ereiz03
DetroitFlyer- You have to have "Torero Insider" to listen to the game through USD

DetroitFlyer
holding.... Not good if you are a USD fan!

Mr. C
I really don't see much difference in talent between USD and Monmouth... except at one key position... unfortunately for Monmouth the talent gap at that one position... QB is huge.
Boland is a good QB, who doesn't make many mistakes (seen him a few times this year). But Johnson is one of the top three or four QBs in I-AA.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
I love Johnson's feet. He did a good job scrambling around and completing a pass that was called back on a penalty.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
3 and 28.... Not looking good for USD, looking good for MU.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
I love Johnson's feet. He did a good job scrambling around and completing a pass that was called back on a penalty.

His feet are his best attribute. Scrambles, scrambles, scrambles....sets his feet perfectly and throws. great talent and coaching by Harbaugh.

USD punts again, this time 33 yds
19-7 USD 4:38 3Q

DetroitFlyer
Nice run, JJ close to 100 yards rushing.

ereiz03
Damn, that was an awesome play by Johnson....tough break on the holding call though.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
USD not up by two TD's or more as I predicted.... Another big series coming up. Will MU roll, or will USD shut them down...?

danefan
I saw the movie for the first time recently. I always liked ONJ and ELO is my all time favorite group!

I was talking about this crazy looking thing they are building by Giants Stadium:

http://www.meadowlandsxanadu.com/static/node1305.jsp

ereiz03
I don't know about calling keepers for the Monmouth QB.....

December 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Nice sack by USD's Bakhtiari

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Thats a dumb play by USD. 15 yd late hit on Boland.

danefan
Looks like he tried to pull up by not quick enough.

another late hit by USD tackling the QB when he was two yards out of bounds

DetroitFlyer
Something tells me that the administrator at ToreroNation.com would not let a Flyer fan join "Torero insider". Nice play by MU on third and long. Then run by MU and a late hit. Now USD is falling apart. What is going on Torero fans?

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
I'm not watching the game, but the Monmouth radio guys seemed to think that was a tough late hit call on USD. Something about refs not blowing the whistle?

ereiz03
Actually, it's called "Torero All-Access." My bad. Torero Insider is the special forum in ToreroNation.com

DetroitFlyer
Has USD been outcoached here in the third quarter? Nice adjustments by MU. USD defense is not looking good....

danefan
the DB was flying in and Boland stepped out. The USD DB tried to pull up but couldnt. Not real dirty but a late hit.

ereiz03
Definitely saw that pick coming.

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Huge interception by Hannula!!!

danefan
INT USD. broken route.

Something tells me that the administrator at ToreroNation.com would not let a Flyer fan join "Torero insider". Nice play by MU on third and long. Then run by MU and a late hit. Now USD is falling apart. What is going on Torero fans?Not USD, more MU.

Another pick for USD at their 10.

Mistakes killing MU

DetroitFlyer
Wow, USD steps up big! So much for my outcoaching theory!

Mr. C
Another Monmouth mistake on Boland's second interception.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
I think we have some MU fans.... MU mistakes, not USD big plays.... Perspective is everything!

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Monmouth radio guys said Harbaugh was complaining for a false start penalty on that INT play. Good thing he didn't get what he wanted.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Frankly, I'm impressed with MU. I honestly thought that this would be an easy game for USD and MU is hanging very, very tough at home.

December 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
the DB was flying in and Boland stepped out. The USD DB tried to pull up but couldnt. Not real dirty but a late hit.???? The DB tackled the QB out of bounds by a couple yards way after the whistle had blown. Maybe not dirty but really stupid.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
USD must make a stop on this drive. One more score and I have to imagine this game is over.

start of the 4Q
19-7 USD

usdtoreros
USD must make a stop on this drive. One more score and I have to imagine this game is over.

You mean Monmouth?

danefan
???? The DB tackled the QB out of bounds by a couple yards way after the whistle had blown. Maybe not dirty but really stupid.

Agreed...Stupid, late and penalty

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Johnson showing the arm. thats a bomb.

DetroitFlyer
What do you guys think that might be seeing USD's offense for the first time this year concerning the multiple shifts they make?

danefan
You mean Monmouth?

Yeah sorry. Brain fart.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
What do you guys think that might be seeing USD's offense for the first time this year concerning the multiple shifts they make?

I don't think the multiple shifts really confuse anyone. Johnson makes the offense very good.

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Must score drive for Monmouth.

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Hopefully the missed extra points won't come back to haunt USD.

USD punts again

ereiz03
Another big stop by USD's defense!

danefan
Big step up by USD defense.

December 2nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
another Bakhtiari sack, MU punts

19-7 USD 11:05 4Q

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Nice USD stop and a decent punt return into MU territory.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
This has been a nice showcase for the NEC and PFL. I like Josh Johnson and I like Monmouth's defense. Off to my game between Appalachian State and Montana State.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
MU defense has really adjusted this half. The offense can't get anything going though.

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Monmouth's defense is definitely living up to the billing.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Not being able to see the game, it sounds like JJ is not all that crisp at the moment. What do you USD fans think? Is MU just playing great D or is JJ struggling a bit at the moment?

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
if we combine USD's offense and MU defense, maybe we have a playoff team!!!!xlolx

usdtoreros
Only 144 passing yards for Johnson, but also has 107 on the ground.

ereiz03
A little bit of both...there's a decent amount of pressure on him from the Monmouth defense. It doesn't help that USD receivers have dropped about 5 passes though.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Boland needs to throw the ball away!!!!!!

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Is Boland really a 4 year starter?

DetroitFlyer
I find it amusing that everyone is saying that USD is only JJ. The reason JJ can do some of the things he does is that his teammates are also very good. USD blocks well when JJ takes off, his receivers catch the balls he throws, the offense executes in machine like precision. JJ is a franchise player, but make no mistake he has a great supporting cast!

danefan
gotta go for it on 4th down.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
I think Boland is a 3 yrs starter. He transferred from Rutgers.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Nice defensive play USD. Maybe interference, maybe not.?

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Short 3, going for it.... Pass incomplete after the pass is knocked down by USD, ball goes over on downs.... USD defense step up!!!!

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
I find it amusing that everyone is saying that USD is only JJ. The reason JJ can do some of the things he does is that his teammates are also very good. USD blocks well when JJ takes off, his receivers catch the balls he throws, the offense executes in machine like precision. JJ is a franchise player, but make no mistake he has a great supporting cast!

He makes everyone around him better. Without him, I think it would've been a very competitive PFL season. Yeah, they do have some talent around him, but Johnson is the reason they have been able to dominate all year.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
The announcers say MU fans are leaving? Come on, what is that about?

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
I think MU's defensive scheme has hurt them all day. Their zone is way too soft.

GOTOREROS
I must have misinterpreted your statement then.
But it cannot be argued that San Diego has not caused the entirety of the score. Monmouth has hurt themselves just as much as San Diego has hurt them.

USD should have scored instead of throwing the INT in the first quarter at the goal line - Should be USD 26-14....:D

danefan
USD should have scored instead of throwing the INT in the first quarter at the goal line - Should be USD 26-14....:D

Very true my friend. Very true.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
USD offensive line get's it done and JJ does his thing. See what I mean bout the supporting cast? I'm suprised that Rogan is not running better. Good MU defense.

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
For those of you watching the game, what do you think of Bakhtiari? Rumors around USD are that he could be playing on Sundays.

danefan
USD offensive line get's it done and JJ does his thing. See what I mean bout the supporting cast? I'm suprised that Rogan is not running better. Good MU defense.

I'm not saying USD has no talent anywhere else. I think without Johnson they are an average PFL team and I think they would lose to Monmouth. Johnson makes them good.

DetroitFlyer
3rd and 9 for USD from the MU 29.... 4:40 left in the game. MU timeout.

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
I'm not saying USD has no talent anywhere else. I think without Johnson they are an average PFL team and I think they would lose to Monmouth. Johnson makes them good.

I agree. I think that is part of the reason USD isn't scheduling up too much in the future. You can't count on having someone like Johnson in the future. It will be interesting to see where USD goes after next season, with Johnson gone and Harbaugh likely gone.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thats the nail in the coffin my friends. USD has played a good game. Congrats.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm out of here. Biggest basketball of the year in Albany today. Cross-town rivalry with Siena.

Congrats USD.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
MU blitz, O-line steps up, big play for USD! Big crowd according to the announcers.... Anyone hear any actual numbers? Then, TD USD after a great USD run, extra effort! Now, USD is up by more than two TD's as I predicted. Can they hang on and make me right or will MU score again to tighen up the final score?

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dane- good luck to your b-ball team.

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think 4,500 was the attendance....may be a record for Monmouth.

GOTOREROS
December 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
USD scores. Converts 2pt attempt.

USD 27
MU 7

3:10 4th

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Johnson over 100 yards rushing.

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
USD has a great chance of making it 3 Mid-Major titles in a row next year.

rmutv
December 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
I've got to go do a basketball broadcast (RMU vs Duquesne...yay crosstown rivalries!), but congratulations to San Diego.

It took all year, but I'm a believer in Josh Johnson and the program now.

Still not I-AA playoff caliber, but with a good schedule, they'll be in.

usdtoreros
December 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Harbaugh running up the score? I guess he doesn't realize he can't make the playoffs anymore.

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
USD 27 Monmouth 7 FINAL

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Nice win by USD on the road! At least MU held USD to a season low 27 points, ( UCD and Azuza Pacific ). Still think USD should have been playing in a different game last week and maybe even this week....

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
USD defense showed up BIG in this one. Nice game by the Toreros! Monmouth's defense impressed me as well.

USDFAN_55
December 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Back-to-Back mid-major titles :bow: .... Congratulations USD!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a better schedule next year.

ereiz03
December 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
"I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a better schedule next year."

Rumor has it that UC Davis and Southern Utah are both going to be on the schedule next year. 2007 should be a HUGE year for USD football as most of this great team returns.

BestOfBreed
December 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Congrats San Diego!

USDFAN_55
December 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
"I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a better schedule next year."

Rumor has it that UC Davis and Southern Utah are both going to be on the schedule next year. 2007 should be a HUGE year for USD football as most of this great team returns.
So if we get UC Davis and Southern Utah with a quality Ivy team (Azuza will be on the schedule unfortunately), it should be a much improved schedule then. Maybe they can get one more quality opponent.

JMG1MON
December 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Congrats Torero fans. We were completely outcoached and outplayed. It was one of Monmouth's worse coaching jobs that I have ever seen.

3yards
December 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Congrats Torero fans. We were completely outcoached and outplayed. It was one of Monmouth's worse coaching jobs that I have ever seen.

I was very impressed by Monmouth's defense. The wind did hurt Josh Johnson's throwing it seems. Monmouth also has a strong run game. And that run game seems to set up the pass nicely for a solid overall attack. But overall very impressed with Monmouth, who will only get better with additional scholarships.

danefan
December 2nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
USD - 324 Total Yards
UM - 217 Total Yards

---

Johnson accounted for all but 40 yards of USD's offensive yards.
(180 passing, 104 rushing= 284 total)

SochorField
December 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Is it true that with 1 min left in the game, up 27-7 on the 20 yard line with the clock running, Harbaugh took a shot at the endzone?

Wow.

JBB
December 2nd, 2006, 11:59 PM
I watched the game here in the hills of central Minnesota. It was a great game. San Diego earned my respect. Of course I had listened to the UCD game last week and I knew they were good.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Congrats to the Toreros on the win and both teams on great seasons!

monmouthhawk
December 4th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Is it true that with 1 min left in the game, up 27-7 on the 20 yard line with the clock running, Harbaugh took a shot at the endzone?

Wow.

Yes...and it was on first down! I really thought San Diego played well and converted on mistakes by the Hawks. Josh Johnson was actually a little bit controlled in this game through the air and his ability to scramble really helped. He looked OK...not as great as I heard he was. Plus he needs at least 25 more pounds on his frame for the next level at QB.

The play-calling by Harbaugh at the end of the game was pretty classless and know I understand why JJ was putting up those numbers and why Harbaugh was booted out of the NFL coaching circles.

Hopefully MU will get to play them again

danefan
December 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Yes...and it was on first down! I really thought San Diego played well and converted on mistakes by the Hawks. Josh Johnson was actually a little bit controlled in this game through the air and his ability to scramble really helped. He looked OK...not as great as I heard he was. Plus he needs at least 25 more pounds on his frame for the next level at QB.

The play-calling by Harbaugh at the end of the game was pretty classless and know I understand why JJ was putting up those numbers and why Harbaugh was booted out of the NFL coaching circles.

Hopefully MU will get to play them again

Did anyone expect anything else. Remember the Valpo game? Up by 50 something and still his starters in late in the fourth. If I remember correctly he put up a TD with 1:30 left.

Pauly LB
December 4th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Come on now -- 27 to 7 is NEVER running up the score... Congrats to USD on a great year. Hopefully you can upgrade your schedule in 2007 !!!

GOTOREROS
December 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Did anyone expect anything else. Remember the Valpo game? Up by 50 something and still his starters in late in the fourth. If I remember correctly he put up a TD with 1:30 left.

Do we have to go thru this again? The starters left the game at the end of the 3rd quarter......check the box score. Josh Johnson, JT Rogan, etc had left the game.....

If a 3rd and 4th string RB scoring is running up the score then yes USD is guilty......:rolleyes:

monmouthhawk
December 4th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Do we have to go thru this again? The starters left the game at the end of the 3rd quarter......check the box score. Josh Johnson, JT Rogan, etc had left the game.....

If a 3rd and 4th string RB scoring is running up the score then yes USD is guilty......:rolleyes:

I think USD is a good team with a very good QB, but I still think Harbaugh is a d-head for that playcall at the end of the Monmouth game. Scum.:thumbsup:

MU Alum
December 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM
USD defense showed up BIG in this one. Nice game by the Toreros! Monmouth's defense impressed me as well.

USD's defense was impressive and won the game. Their defensive line was dominant, and they scored a touchdown on D. MU did not play its best game, when it needed to. Defensively MU only gave up 20pts, and Held Johnson to under 180 yds passing, while he ran for over 100. But he was all they had. Johnson is very good, he is not a first day QB as he is being hyped, but not many are, He IS very good. Offensively MU struggled, but were without their best threat ( the conf. leading reciever) #88, who left the Albany game in the 3rd quarter with an injury and really couldnt do anything on Sat. & wasn't returning punts. MU also had a rushing TD called back on a holding call which hurt. The INT. in the 3rd quarter with MU driving down 19-7 in the redzone really hurt. MU made to many mistakes to win. I thought MU's D did a good job against a very talented QB. The game atmosphere was great, the teams were both talented. The only problem I do have is with Harbaugh throwing a fade to the End Zone with 1:00 remaining and MU not calling Timeouts. There was no need for that, it was classless and I dont know how you defend that as a fan.

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Congrats to SD, maybe a playoff opportunity is in the wings.

usdtoreros
December 4th, 2006, 05:58 PM

And also why he was co-PFL Coach of the Year after dominating everyone else in the league. He must've pissed off several other PFL coaches.