PDA

View Full Version : Maine Now a Member of Div I Football - Name Change Confusing (?)

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
What a joke! Who is sending in e-mails to Gary Thorne? Maine football has already been a member of Division I football! Oh wait, this is the same Gary Thorne from ABC and ESPN...

Revision of names for NCAA football divisions confusing
By Bangor Daily News Staff
Saturday, December 02, 2006 - Bangor Daily News

By Gary Thorne

Did you know that University of Maine football is now a member of Division I in the NCAA?

Hang on, there’s more. This is kind of like changing your phone number or your email — this is going to take a while to sink in and the old nomenclature is going to pop up repeatedly.

As of the end of November, the NCAA has changed the names of what we have known in college football as Division I-A and I-AA (Maine’s classification).

Those two groups are now all Division I. However, there are new subclassifications.

The former Division I-A is now the Bowl Subdivision. Its champion is determined by the BCS system and its championship game played in January.

The former I-AA teams, including Maine, are now known as the Championship Subdivision. These teams crown a champion through the 16-team playoff system now under way.

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/sports.aspx?articleid=143691&zoneid=23

December 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
What a joke! Who is sending in e-mails to Gary Thorne? ...I did.
Glad to see someone finally woke up Gary Thorne. Seeing as how the NCAA announced this in August and has relentlessly pushed it ever since with a promotion campaign it is amazing that Gary Thorne finally noticed. Or maybe it isn't. He does work for ESPN who is the broadcaster of the FCS D-I Football Championship (which was announced two weeks ago and began last week).

Revision of names for NCAA football divisions confusing
By Bangor Daily News Staff
Saturday, December 02, 2006 - Bangor Daily News
By Gary Thorne

What an expert Gary Thorne ISN'T. How perceptive Gary Thorne ISN'T.

Ralph Wallace

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ralph,

Where can we get Gary Thorne's e-mail?

Here's the e-mail of the Bangor Daily News, who we can heckle for putting this "piece of work" in their newspaper when they cover Maine on a regular basis and should know about their 'status' as a Division I football-playing member... [email protected]

December 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Ralph,

Where can we get Gary Thorne's e-mail?

Here's the e-mail of the Bangor Daily News, who we can heckle for putting this "piece of work" in their newspaper when they cover Maine on a regular basis and should know about their 'status' as a Division I football-playing member... [email protected] sent it there and cc'd [email protected]

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
The article was pretty lame. I think that he was cleaning out his desk ;).

He is an awesome sports broadcaster though with one of the best voices in the business.

ccd494
December 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
Eh. I doubt anyone even read it. It's hockey season.

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Gary Thorne is calling the Montana St/Appalachian St game with Houston Texans radio color guy Andre Ware at the Rock...

He's just said Football Championship Subdivision, so his lesson is learned...

Granite
December 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
The article was pretty lame. I think that he was cleaning out his desk ;).

He is an awesome sports broadcaster though with one of the best voices in the business.

Totally off topic, but nice Avatar, Jeff. I've been debating a switch. No disrespect, but I just don't think I can bring myself to sport a UMass logo.

I'm down right now...........................

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Totally off topic, but nice Avatar, Jeff. I've been debating a switch. No disrespect, but I just don't think I can bring myself to sport a UMass logo.

I'm down right now...........................

Ever since Maine's loss to BC, I've sported UNH, North Dakota State, and now Montana......my officially adopted team for the playoffs.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Ever since Maine's loss to BC, I've sported UNH, North Dakota State, and now Montana......my officially adopted team for the playoffs.

Good Choice

Mudbird1
December 2nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Seeing as how the NCAA announced this in August and has relentlessly pushed it ever since with a promotion campaign it is amazing that Gary Thorne finally noticed..

Not gonna lie I follow my Redbirds and college football pretty closely and I had no idea about this name change until the playoffs started and the iaa.org website changed.

And I havent met one person who had any inkling of this. So whatever this "relentlessly pushed...promotion campaign" was, it was pretty weak and worthless. Perhaps they should get a new public relations team.