PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross @ Towson

crusader11
September 14th, 2015, 11:53 AM
The CAA has kicked around the PL so far this season. I'm not sure if that changes on Saturday when HC visits Towson, although I think this game should be pretty competitive.

Question for the Towson folks: will this game be streamed online? When I visited the Towson athletics website, it didn't seem like this was an option. I hope that's not the case. In this day and age with how easy it is to stream a game online, it would be pretty weak if Towson doesn't do that.

ihop
September 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I believe all Towson games are streamed through our website, you can also pick up the stream through caa.tv

RedFlash
September 14th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Saturday's game against St. Francis was streamed through their website, although according to some people who watched it online, the signal/reception was hit or miss during the first half. They also said that the announcers and camera crew pretty much focus on Towson the whole time.

If you can make the trip though, it's a really nice venue - aside from the fact that they stick the visitor's section right next to the band. Additionally, the stadium staff was some of the nicest we've dealt with over the years.

Fordham
September 14th, 2015, 12:55 PM
The CAA has kicked around the PL so far this season. I'm not sure if that changes on Saturday when HC visits Towson, although I think this game should be pretty competitive.

Question for the Towson folks: will this game be streamed online? When I visited the Towson athletics website, it didn't seem like this was an option. I hope that's not the case. In this day and age with how easy it is to stream a game online, it would be pretty weak if Towson doesn't do that.
How's your run D, crusader11? I remember Towson physically pushing us around in the playoffs two years ago and I believe the frosh RB who played then is their key cog now. Is that correct, Towson fans? HOpefully HC D is tough. Would love to see a PL win here.

RedFlash
September 14th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Darius Victor is impressive. He is very strong. Lots of 4,5 and 6 yard gains after getting hit near the LOS last week. Very difficult to bring down one on one. HC will need to have a strong secondary, because you'll need to sell out to stop the run leaving lots of one on one match-ups.

Sader87
September 14th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Darius Victor is impressive. He is very strong. Lots of 4,5 and 6 yard gains after getting hit near the LOS last week. Very difficult to bring down one on one. HC will need to have a strong secondary, because you'll need to sell out to stop the run leaving lots of one on one match-ups.

OK...we're screwed xdrunkyx

crusader11
September 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I believe all Towson games are streamed through our website, you can also pick up the stream through caa.tv

Not seeing it listed on CAA.tv, unfortunately.

crusader11
September 14th, 2015, 03:51 PM
How's your run D, crusader11? I remember Towson physically pushing us around in the playoffs two years ago and I believe the frosh RB who played then is their key cog now. Is that correct, Towson fans? HOpefully HC D is tough. Would love to see a PL win here.

The defense is so-so. HC's top defensive player had academic issues, and is no longer enrolled at the school, to the best of my knowledge.

HC is stout in the middle with Mike Galantini anchoring the line. The last time HC played Towson, Terrance West basically did anything he wanted against the defense.

I'm hoping HC's offense will be able to move the ball with Pujals.

Sader87
September 14th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Holy Cross hasn't had a good defense since we last had scholarships. That has been the most glaring difference between the teams pre -1991 and post-1992 imo. No overall speed or size in general....hopefully we're improving in this area but I haven't seen it yet.

RedFlash
September 15th, 2015, 09:27 AM

The SFU game wasn't initially listed in CAA.tv either. I think it came up on their schedule later in the week.

RichH2
September 15th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Holy Cross hasn't had a good defense since we last had scholarships. That has been the most glaring difference between the teams pre -1991 and post-1992 imo. No overall speed or size in general....hopefully we're improving in this area but I haven't seen it yet.
The knock on Cross for years has been their lack of speed. Well coached but vulnerable. Gilmore has brought in a good amount of speed in his last 2 classes. Ought to help ,perhaps not this year.

Fordham
September 15th, 2015, 09:57 AM
The defense is so-so. HC's top defensive player had academic issues, and is no longer enrolled at the school, to the best of my knowledge.

HC is stout in the middle with Mike Galantini anchoring the line. The last time HC played Towson, Terrance West basically did anything he wanted against the defense.

I'm hoping HC's offense will be able to move the ball with Pujals.

who is the defender you guys lost? Was it that highly rated LB from FL from a year or two back? I forgot his name

crusader11
September 15th, 2015, 11:05 AM
who is the defender you guys lost? Was it that highly rated LB from FL from a year or two back? I forgot his name

Nick McBeath is that LB you are thinking of. He was recruited by many PL schools, reportedly had a few FBS offers, and initially committed to Charley Molnar at UMass. After Molnar was fired, his recruitment reopened. HC was the beneficiary. He starts at ILB.

The defender HC lost was John Zakrzewski.

crusader11
September 15th, 2015, 01:31 PM
HC +7.5

ihop
September 18th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Link is on CAA.tv now

andy7171
September 18th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Prepare to get run on. A lot. And when you put 8 in the box to stop us, we go long. Ambrose is not going to open up the playbook until CAA play, unless he has to.
Did someone from StFU really say the SAFE stadium people were kind? They run the place like a prison!

Should be a great day for a game, head on down!

Tiger93
September 18th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I would agree with andy7171. Like most others have brought up in this thread, Towson will try to impose their will early and establish the run. Our QB (Conor Frazier) is still a little shaky (was not very good last year), but he does have some good receiving weapons and our o-line has been a lot better. Our defense recently has been prone to some serious lapses despite some pretty good talent on that side of the ball. They were pretty good in the second half last week. The real problem we have had for quite some time is our special teams. Subpar kicking and occasional coverage lapses have led to a number of big special teams plays against us recently.

It looks like you guys ran the ball on nearly 60 percent of your plays in the first game and got a pretty efficient performance out of your QB. What should we look for in this game out of Holy Cross?

crusader11
September 18th, 2015, 02:40 PM
It looks like you guys ran the ball on nearly 60 percent of your plays in the first game and got a pretty efficient performance out of your QB. What should we look for in this game out of Holy Cross?

It's very much a run-pass option with our QB, Peter Pujals. While we ran more than we passed, several of those were a product of Pujals tucking and running.

Against Monmouth, the offense looked like the 1987 HC offense for the first 25 minutes, but then sputtered. When clicking, we are a dangerous team with a few talented receivers, two quick backs, and the talented Pujals who is the preseason pick for PL Offensive POY.

I am confident we will move the ball against Towson, but real nervous about slowing down the ground game. I expect it to be a competitive game.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 05:28 PM
HC up 7-0 midway through the first quarter.

Love the decision by Gilmore to go for it on 4th and goal from the one. HC is having a lot of success running the ball.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Great first quarter by HC as they lead 7-0. Pujals shredding the Towson defense with his legs.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 06:05 PM
7-7 midway through the second quarter.

Pujals threw a real bad interception to give Towson the ball deep in HC territory. The HC defense nearly held, but Towson converted on a third and goal from about the 15.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 06:11 PM
That was impressive response by HC. Towson will get a chance before half and they do receive the 2nd half kick iirc.....

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 06:12 PM
HC responds with a 50 yard drive for a TD. It's now 14-7.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Wow! Towson punter can't handle a bad snap, tries to kick it and has it blocked for a safety,...

16-7 HC

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Really big opportunity here for HC to take control of this game. They should have good field position, again, and a chance to put more points on the board heading into halftime.

HC has played very well today.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 06:24 PM
HC seems to be a much more disciplined team than Towson.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Great first half for HC. I'm off to the gym, should be back in time to catch the latter part of the 3rd Q on.....

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM
16-7 at the half, HC leads. The defense has been staunch.

Sader87
September 19th, 2015, 06:44 PM
It's been good...we've caught some breaks (which you have to have) too....let's see how we respond in the 2nd H, we nearly blew a game we had complete control of two weeks ago

Fordham
September 19th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Awesome play, HC! Now finish strong!

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 07:05 PM
16-14, HC. Towson's Darius Victor began the half with about a 50 yard run to set up the touchdown.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Darius freaking Victor is a load, and can move. Long run by him makes it now 22-16 in favor of Towson.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Towson leads 22-19 after a FG by Wasp.

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 07:42 PM
22-19 heading to the 4th. Towson is driving and in the red zone.

citdog
September 19th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Towson leads 22-19 after a FG by Wasp.

A WASP? At Holy Cross?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 07:45 PM
How was that not a penalty of OL downfield or a forward pass past the line of scrimmage

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Nice call by Ambrose with a fake FG, which set up a four yard TD run for Victor. 29-19, Towson.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Pujals picked...danger time for HC...

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Terrible decision by Pujals as he throws a bad INT, and that should probably do it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 08:08 PM
HC inside the Towson 10....still life...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM
TD HC with about 4 minutes left....crazy TD.....

Towson 29-26

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 08:11 PM
HC has a bit of life after that TD pass from Pujals to Flaherty. Towson leads 29-26.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Towson wr drops a sure first down! HC will have a chance with plenty of time

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 08:18 PM
HC gets the ball back with 1:59 remaining. They have a chance to win this damn thing!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 08:23 PM
HC converts on long 4th down, in towson territory!!

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 08:24 PM
:59 left and HC has the ball in Towson territory.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 08:27 PM
HC OL can not protect Pujals. Towson just using simple stunts...

- - - Updated - - -

Pujals sacked on 4th down to end it. The OL let HC down there....

crusader11
September 19th, 2015, 08:29 PM
29-26 is the final. Tough loss for HC. A lot to like with this HC team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2015, 08:34 PM
29-26 is the final. Tough loss for HC. A lot to like with this HC team.

That was a solid performance against what I believe is a fringe Top 25 team. HC stood up to Towson physically for the most part. Victor had a ton of yards but he and the Tigers never took full control of the game.

I think most people did expect this to be a pretty competitive game. Moral victories aren't great but this is one worth remembering imo. Ill be interested to see where both teams go from here. Ambrose is trying to turn Towson into the NDSU of the east...

ngineer
September 19th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Great effort HC. Much closer that most expected. Will be interesting to see if it will be a problem in getting back 'up' next with the same energy. Towson came close to ECU, but then ECU just got torched by Navy. Early games hard to decipher sometimes.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Colgate will have its hands full next week in Worcester.

Sader87
September 20th, 2015, 12:03 AM
Pissed away per usual undah the Gilmore regime.....

Tiger93
September 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
Both teams showed some serious flaws and some good things in this game. I was worried when Holy Cross got the ball back trailing only 29-26 late in the game, but Towson's defense finally got a good pass rush in the final drive. Obviously our rushing offense is a strength, and Darius Victor was great (Simpson and Dickerson showed some flashes too). We make some weird play calls down the stretch, but I do have to give credit to Ambrose for the fake field goal call. That was perfectly timed.

Pujals was giving us fits in the fourth quarter, which depending on your perspective is exciting or worrisome. I think both teams have some things they can be happy with going forward, and both have a lot of flaws to iron out if they want to have good conference seasons. Good luck the rest of the way.