PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw State

jmrepak
September 14th, 2015, 11:23 AM
So let's call this what it is. These guys have only played ETSU, who may not win a game this year, and NAIA Edward Waters. However, that being the case I'm still impressed by their offense putting up 50+ in their first two games EVER, and winning by a combined margin of 114-23. They play lower level FCS Dayton in two weeks, but have another NAIA and D2 before getting to conference play. It could be the end of October against Liberty before we find out whether or not these guys really have something, but kudos to them on their offensive production for a first year program.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 14th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I said it before the season that they have some talent and will get off to a faster start than most start-ups. They probably can't play with Liberty and Coastal yet but I expect them to win at least two conference games and probably all of the sub-DI games.

rokamortis
September 14th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Their coach is intense and has his guys confident and off to a great start. They may make some noise in the Big South this year.

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2015, 12:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they have a ton of transfers. Of course, if you go that route, you should see success more quickly. However, I think it makes it much, much more difficult to maintain consistent long term success. I personally think if you go with more traditional classes, you take your lumps early but build a lot more of a foundation for the future. Just an opinion.

In contrast, it looks like ETSU has about 10 transfers? Could be a wrong count, but I just gave it a quick look. Two different philosophies on how to get started, I think.

jmrepak
September 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they have a ton of transfers. Of course, if you go that route, you should see success more quickly. However, I think it makes it much, much more difficult to maintain consistent long term success. I personally think if you go with more traditional classes, you take your lumps early but build a lot more of a foundation for the future. Just an opinion.

In contrast, it looks like ETSU has about 10 transfers? Could be a wrong count, but I just gave it a quick look. Two different philosophies on how to get started, I think.
I actually think it is kind of the opposite. Coastal's worst 2-3 years were when we had huge graduating classes because everyone came in at the same time/matriculation level. I think we had a year with like 20+ seniors followed by a year of 30+ seniors. It was crazy to turn over almost the whole team in 2 years, and it took 3-4 years to recover. Just my xtwocentsx.

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I actually think it is kind of the opposite. Coastal's worst 2-3 years were when we had huge graduating classes because everyone came in at the same time/matriculation level. I think we had a year with like 20+ seniors followed by a year of 30+ seniors. It was crazy to turn over almost the whole team in 2 years, and it took 3-4 years to recover. Just my xtwocentsx.

I agree with you there. I think if you go the traditional route, you have to manage the class sizes and make sure it's equitable. In that case, oversigning a class is just as dangerous as taking a truckload of transfers.

bonarae
September 14th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I'm thinking that Kennesaw State is performing like ODU when it was still FCS...

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2015, 01:35 AM
As jmrepak said, I think we need to wait awhile before we assess KSU's current strength. C'mon, it's not like they opened with Reinhardt! xsmiley_wix

There's not much SoS comparison we can draw on here, but I did find this info interesting and somewhat relate-able...KSU beat Edward Waters 58-7. Last year, Webber International beat Edward Waters 70-14. This year Stetson beat Webber Intl 42-13. Mercer beat Stetson 57-14 this past Sat. and I think the Bears could have scored 150 if they had a reason to do so. Now, Ed Waters does already have a couple of big wins under their belt this season as they tested University of Faith-FL 76-7 and martyred God's Chosen Disciples 57-8, buy they were also raped by D2 Morehouse 51-7 before taking on the Owls.

The Owls may be better than the New England Patriots this year, but my Magic 8-Ball says to "Ask again later"

LeadBolt
September 15th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Kennesaw State is a good school and it appears they are starting off correctly with their football program. I'd like to see them schedule and thump a nearby FBS school who plays in the Dome. I believe they could. Go Owls.

OrangeAndBlack
September 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM
As jmrepak said, I think we need to wait awhile before we assess KSU's current strength. C'mon, it's not like they opened with Reinhardt! xsmiley_wix

There's not much SoS comparison we can draw on here, but I did find this info interesting and somewhat relate-able...KSU beat Edward Waters 58-7. Last year, Webber International beat Edward Waters 70-14. This year Stetson beat Webber Intl 42-13. Mercer beat Stetson 57-14 this past Sat. and I think the Bears could have scored 150 if they had a reason to do so. Now, Ed Waters does already have a couple of big wins under their belt this season as they tested University of Faith-FL 76-7 and martyred God's Chosen Disciples 57-8, buy they were also raped by D2 Morehouse 51-7 before taking on the Owls.

The Owls may be better than the New England Patriots this year, but my Magic 8-Ball says to "Ask again later"

xsmileyclapxxlolx

KSU is doing quite well, and their fans should be proud. However, FUBear puts it into perspective. Still, should only be positive vibes around that program right now.

DetroitFlyer
September 26th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I was impressed. Well coached, gave my Flyers fits.