PDA

View Full Version : Recap of UCA Bears Successful Debut

TexasTerror
December 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM
Nice article out of the UCA Athletic department about this past year's accomplishments by the UCA football team. A top 25 program at the end of the regular season, a solid 8-3 record and some marquee wins (Georgia Southern, two SLC foes from Texas, SFA and SHSU and lastly a win against a team that UCA wants as a regional rivalry game, Missouri St). Congrats UCA!

CONWAY, Ark_ If one were to judge the University of Central Arkansas' dive into the Division I football pool this year, the score would be very, very low. The Bears would have no part of gracefully plunging in without a wave or ripple.

Even with a fairly advanced degree of difficulty, the Bears made a prodigious splash onto the scene in their first year as a transitional Division I championship division team – compiling an 8-3 record and finishing the season ranked in the Top 25.

From a convincing warm-up win against old rival Henderson State in storied War Memorial Stadium to defeating Missouri State in front of a school-record crowd of 11,215 at Estes Stadium, to a regionally-televised prime-time win on the road against then-ranked future Southland Conference foe Sam Houston State, to closing the season out with a monumental overtime win at six-time national champion Georgia Southern, the Bears blazed the trail head coach Clint Conque had long talked about – scorching opponent after opponent along the way.

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=1&article=1602

blackfordpu
December 1st, 2006, 11:00 PM
Beginners luck. ;)

crunifan
December 2nd, 2006, 02:25 AM
While I agree they had a great first year, it seems all their "marquee" wins are against teams that had VERY (and in some cases EXTREMELY) down years. But, it is a great start and I think they will have some big success in the future!

RabidRabbit
December 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
While I agree they had a great first year, it seems all their "marquee" wins are against teams that had VERY (and in some cases EXTREMELY) down years. But, it is a great start and I think they will have some big success in the future!

And their 3 losses all came to top 25 (GPI) teams, on the road. : smh :

:hurray: Congrats to the Bears on a successful foray into FCS. :hurray: CU in Conway about tacking a your first FCS home loss next year! :p

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
UCA loses quite a few talented seniors from this year's squad. We'll see how Conque's first recruiting class in FCS (from last Spring) does this year as many hit the field for the first time and I'm going to keep an eye out for how many JUCOs he signs this year or transfers...