PDA

View Full Version : Samford Names Sullivan HC

TexasTerror
December 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Easy move for Sullivan who moves to crosstown Samford from C-USA member UAB. A former HC at TCU who held up the Heisman in 1971. Nice hire for Samford!

Pat Sullivan Named Head Football Coach

Sullivan is the 35th head football coach in Samford history

Dec. 1, 2006

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Pat Sullivan has been named the head football coach at Samford University, President Andrew Westmoreland and director of athletics Bob Roller announced Friday.

"It's great to be a head coach again," Sullivan said. "It's something that I've dreamed about and I've wanted to do, but to be here in my hometown is great."

Sullivan, the winner of the 1971 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Auburn University, is the 35th head football coach in Samford history. He has served on the coaching staff at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) since 1999.

"Pat Sullivan is an ideal choice to lead Samford's football program," Westmoreland said. "As I have come to know him, I have been impressed with his integrity, his competence, the breadth and depth of his relationships, his commitment to faith and family, and his deep concern for students. We welcome Pat to the Samford family and we look forward to many exciting years for Samford football."

http://samfordsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120106aac.html

Mr. C
December 1st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Interestiing to have this college football legend in the FCS coaching ranks.

youwouldno
December 2nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
It's a very interesting story that's gone on down there. Supposedly UAB's treatment of Sullivan is going to have some effects beyond Samford landing him... more money could be headed Samford's way as well, from local sources. This also could influence Samford's SoCon bid, insofar as it shows they appear to be serious about upgrading their football program and athletic dept. in general.