PDA

View Full Version : Where's the money go?

barechestcat
December 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Some questions using ASU vs MSU as an example:

1) Since ASU is the #1 seed for this game, all they had to do is put in the minimum bid to insure the home game. Right?!

2) So, if ASU guarantees the NCAA this amount, what happens to the extra money? I've heard it said that these aren't real money makers for the universities and that it's basically a NCAA game that's being played on someone's home field.

But,

If only 16,000 show up this weekend (I say "only" because of average attendance), I'm guessing total gate receipt would be somewhere around $250K. Throw in the concessions and that's a pretty significant figure above the minimum bid amount.

Does anyone really know? I'm not looking for guesses on this one.

putter
December 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
You are correct. That depends on if ASU did bid the minimum for the games. Another factor could be if the schools make season ticket holders buy playoff tickets. Montana makes all season ticket holders buy playoff tickets ($25) but you have first dibs on you seats for the games.

December 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
1) Since ASU is the #1 seed for this game, all they had to do is put in the minimum bid to insure the home game. Right?!
2) So, if ASU guarantees the NCAA this amount, what happens to the extra money?...1. They didn't know at the time the bids were submitted they were the top seed. After being slated #1 all they had to have was a minimum bid for the games.
2. All the revenue after the bid is covered is split with the NCAA, home school keeps 25%. The NCAA uses the money to run the tournament.

Walkon79
December 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
The NCAA uses the money to run the tournament.

Which means what?

- Travel for NCAA big-wigs
- Officials fees and travel.
- What else?

Sounds like a money maker to me.

Saint3333
December 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM
1. They didn't know at the time the bids were submitted they were the top seed. After being slated #1 all they had to have was a minimum bid for the games.
2. All the revenue after the bid is covered is split with the NCAA, home school keeps 25%. The NCAA uses the money to run the tournament.

Revenue is split - why does the NCAA get so much of the money, what do they pay for.

Let's say team A draws 15,000 (5,000 of which are students). That's 10,000 X $20 or $200K and 5,000 X $5 or $25K at ASU prices.

Revenue = $225K
Minimum Bid for Quarterfinals = $40,000
NCAA's cut = $139K

Team A gets paid $46K and that's before gameday expenses (unless the NCAA is paying the light bill, etc).

If only 10,000 fans show up only $27K is paid to the home team. The NC$$ strikes again...

BelgradeBobcat
December 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM
I'm sure a chunk goes to the visiting schools to cover travel expenses.

Tealblood
December 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM
In this case it prolly has to pay for a flight of I'm guessing 80-100 montana St. players,coaches, and admin and lodging in NC. Also guess it lost money from the flight of Furman out west. It being the NCAA and I am not defending the NCAA but just guessing this is when all is considered not a money maker

kmax
December 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Don't worry, the NCAA may make alot of money off things like March Madness but I don't think they are getting rich off the FCS playoffs. They have to pay for the visiting teams travel expenses, which in the case of Furman last week and MSU this week probably took up almost any profit they made on those two games. They have to pay for officials for the games. Marketing and advertising has to be paid for. Not positive but I have heard that they actually have to pay some for ESPN to broadcast the games. I would be surprised if they make money at all on the whole deal.

Saint3333
December 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM
That's fine, but I saw where MSU tickets to NC were $800 a piece. Let's say MSU has 120 people (players, staff, etc. remember only 55 players can travel so this number is very conservative) that would be 96K for travel expenses.

In the previous example the NCAA received $179K while the hosting school received $46K. If a school in able to draw well, let's say like ASU or Montana the NCAA is making a good bit of money.

I believe the 75% rule was set up for the hosting sites that only draw 5-10K to ensure cost coverage. And people really believe that attendance isn't factored into this process...

BelgradeBobcat
December 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
The NCAA puts on a lot of national championship tournaments. Most probably lose money. They've got to fly soccer teams, swim teams, volleyball, D-2 and D-3 football-heck D-2 and D-3 everything. If they are making any money on our football tournament-I'm sure it is being spent towards a worthy cause (like the field hockey tournament).

3rd Coast Tiger
December 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Very interesting!!!

GOKATS
December 1st, 2006, 07:52 PM
I'm sure Ralph will set us all straight, but as I recall during the vote to change D-I nomenclature, etc., the NCAA also voted to add something like $450,000 to the CS playoff fund.

lizrdgizrd
December 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM
That's fine, but I saw where MSU tickets to NC were $800 a piece. Let's say MSU has 120 people (players, staff, etc. remember only 55 players can travel so this number is very conservative) that would be 96K for travel expenses.

In the previous example the NCAA received $179K while the hosting school received $46K. If a school in able to draw well, let's say like ASU or Montana the NCAA is making a good bit of money.

I believe the 75% rule was set up for the hosting sites that only draw 5-10K to ensure cost coverage. And people really believe that attendance isn't factored into this process...
I would imagine that MSU would charter a flight rather than pay for commercial tickets. I'm also betting that would either cost less than 96K or allow them to send more folks for the same price.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think charter air is the norm during the playoffs if a flight is involved. I know that UNH took a charter to Norfolk last weekend and they chartered out to Missoula two years ago.

Don't forget for those long flights by Furman last week and Montana State this week, you have bus games like UNH-UMass this week. I'm guessing that Lafayette bused up to UMass last week as well.

GOKATS
December 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM
I would imagine that MSU would charter a flight rather than pay for commercial tickets. I'm also betting that would either cost less than 96K or allow them to send more folks for the same price.

Cats obviously took a charter, hopefully non-stop, but probably a fuel stop in Denver or somewhere. It still costs to go on the road, and those costs are covered. If the Cats were to win tomorrow, a home game at Bozeman isn't out of the question.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Does anyone have anything for sure or are we all just speculating?

December 1st, 2006, 10:37 PM
... the NCAA also voted to add something like $450,000 to the CS playoff fund.Yes, that's right. To increase the travel party by 30.

Opening round reported attendance:

UMASS vs. LAFAYETTE ...5388
UNH at HAMPTON ...3401
JMU at YOUNGSTOWN STATE ...11627
ILS at EASTERN ILLINOIS ...4400
SIU vs. UT-MARTIN ...5694
UM vs. MCNEESE STATE ...20077
MSU vs. FURMAN ...9427
ASU vs. COASTAL CAROLINA ...16223

Some expenses ... (championship handbook: http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf)

Official Traveling Party
Transportation expenses and a $110 per diem will be provided for each member of the official traveling party. The size of the official traveling party is 130 persons for the first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal contests, and 145 persons for the championship game, including a maximum of 60 student-athletes in uniform for all games.

Officials
Travel/Per Diem. Travel expenses for the officials will be paid according to the actual mode of transportation, not to exceed jet coach air fare or 43 cents per mile, but not including terminal or other local transportation. Officials who receive approval for air transportation must make flight arrangements through the NCAA travel service, Short’s Travel Management. Hotel expenses (excluding incidentals) for officials required to stay overnight at the championship site shall be paid by the host institution and later reimbursed by the NCAA. Officials will receive a $45 per diem for meals and incidentals for each day of the championship, beginning with the day of arrival and ending with the day of departure. Officials not required to remain overnight at the site also shall receive a per diem of $45. The seven game officials for all games will receive $450 each per game, plus travel expenses, including air transportation, if necessary.

If the game is to be televised, the television liaison official will be selected by the NCAA. The fee shall be $75 plus travel expenses, including air transportation, if necessary.

The Division I-AA football committee will assign an officials’ evaluator to each playoff game. The evaluator shall receive a $50 honorarium and 43 cents per mile round-trip for transportation expenses.

Per Diem Exception
For the Division I Football Championship, the Executive Committee has granted an exception to the per-diem policy for championship finalists. Both teams may arrive at the site of the championship game two days before the game.

Drug Testing
Student-athletes who compete in this championship may be subjected to drug tests in accordance with Bylaws 18.4.1.5 and 31.2.3, and may be determined to be ineligible as a result thereof. Only student-athletes who have consented in writing to such testing are initially eligible for this championship; and thereafter, student-athletes who are tested shall remain eligible only if they test negative.

=========
Bottom line, the NCAA rarely makes much from this tourney and has lost money as well.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
One thing for sure...winning the NC brings in sales dollars for the university....T-shirts, caps, jackets........etc

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
=========
Bottom line, the NCAA rarely makes much from this tourney and has lost money as well.

So do the schools who participate. For me that is the biggest negative with 1-AA. As a fan I love the playoffs, but from a business sense...:bang:

3rd Coast Tiger
December 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
So do the schools who participate. For me that is the biggest negative with 1-AA. As a fan I love the playoffs, but from a business sense...:bang:

:read:

GAD
December 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
:read:
co-sign x____________________

PNeck19
December 2nd, 2006, 07:06 PM
co-sign x____________________

Dude, whatcha cosigning for? What with SU at or near the top in ticket prices and attendance every year and near the bottom in quality of facilities.

The title of this thread, "Where's the money go?" seems very appropriate in that situation as well.

GAD
December 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Dude, whatcha cosigning for? What with SU at or near the top in ticket prices and attendance every year and near the bottom in quality of facilities.

The title of this thread, "Where's the money go?" seems very appropriate in that situation as well.
Cause SWAC folk been on this board saying that for years but one wanted to listen

as far as our facilities thats why me and so many others did not buy season tickets this year and attendance was so low