PDA

View Full Version : Names on the Jerseys

LBPop
July 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM
I really don't know how prevalent it is in I-AA for players' names to be put on their jerseys. Wondering which teams do and which do not. Also would be interested in opinions--pro or con. The Hoyas subscribe to the Joe Paterno school of plain uniforms/no names. I don't really care all that much; my only motivation is that I would like to at least get a souvenir that I could wear after ponying up the bucks for four years. :o

HensRock
July 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Delaware does not use names on the jerseys.
I think Montana and GSU do use names.

McNeese uses names, but the players all seem to be related! :D

DuckDuckGriz
July 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM
Montana unveiled new jerseys in 2004 without names on the back. Up until that point, the names were on there.

I personally like the names on the back especially when you don't know who someone is -- but I also think it promotes teamwork and unity to not have the names on the back.

Some that don't have names off the top of my head are Weber State, McNeese State, and New Hampshire.

colgate13
July 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Not here, I don't think ever.

ChickenMan
July 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
Some that don't have names off the top of my head are Weber State, McNeese State, and New Hampshire.

No names for Delaware...

Cocky
July 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM
No Names at JSU

rokamortis
July 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM
No names on our jerseys in our long history :p ... or at least as far as I can remember :confused:

GSUAlumniEagle
July 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM
I personally like the names on the backs. So that we're beating SDSU 54-0, I can see exactly who that 4th string scrub is playing QB. :D

blackfordpu
July 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Sam Houston had names on the jerseys last season. I personally dont think there needs to be names on them in college football. It should still be all about the team, not the individual. Plus, if you are a die hard fan like most of us, you know who is what number. It helps get the fans more involved in that way.

LBPop
July 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Montana unveiled new jerseys in 2004 without names on the back. Up until that point, the names were on there.

Now, if this were the Smack board, someone (not, I of course) might be tempted to suggest that the new policy was to assist those players who have moved to Montana to hide from the authorities. But, I wouldn't say such a thing in public. :rolleyes:

BBB
July 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Now, if this were the Smack board, someone (not, I of course) might be tempted to suggest that the new policy was to assist those players who have moved to Montana to hide from the authorities. But, I wouldn't say such a thing in public. :rolleyes:

That's just plain wrong....

Howard flips back and forth. For a while we did the name thing. Now we don't.

Do you think it has more to do with school's budget? I'm sure it's kinda expensive to replaces jersey's year in and out.

Go...gate
July 1st, 2005, 02:05 PM
Im my memory, Colgate has not used them.

Husky Alum
July 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM
NU had them in the Barry Gallup Era for a couple of seasons, then when Benedict Brown took over the names disappeared. Hager has continued the "no name" uniform.

ncbears
July 1st, 2005, 03:40 PM
UNC Bears do have names on the backs.

Retro
July 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM
Mcneese Does not have names, but the word Cowboys on the back.. Prior to 2003, Mcneese had Cowboys on Home jerseys and Mcneese on road jerseys, similar to what baseball teams do... The current uniforms have the words Mcneese State in small letters above the number in the front..

At one time there were names on jersey's, but one of the previous coaches was trying to promote the team concept and thus the change.

It worked out pretty well and i feel personally that if your in the stands you can't read the names on the jersey without binoculars and if your a real fan, you should try to know most of the players by their jersey # anyway..

foghorn
July 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM
:) UD's former coach, Tubby Raymond, when asked why UD didn't have names on their backs, gave 2 reasons:
1. The primary purpose was to identify players for TV games. The folks at home, didn't have a program.
2. It takes away from the TEAM concept. Tubby didn't like players being singled out, and thought that names on the back would do that. Since UD changed unies last year, it appears that K.C. Keeler upholds Tubby's belief. Still no names. OK with me, unless the TV appearances continue to increase. Go Hens! :cool:

charliej
July 1st, 2005, 08:23 PM
Nova has the names on the back.

bonarae
July 1st, 2005, 09:18 PM
For the Ivy League, to keep amateurity, there are no names on back of the jerseys in almost all sports (?).

blukeys
July 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM
Go to the games. Buy a program. Learn your players' numbers. You will know who is who by the 3rd game. At UD #47 was Sidney.

I like the names on the uniforms for visitors because I am lazy. But for this old school purist LEAVE THE NAMES OFF. :D :D :D

TheValleyRaider
July 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
For the Ivy League, to keep amateurity, there are no names on back of the jerseys in almost all sports (?).

I know the Ivy schools have them in hockey (makes it all the easier for us to taunt opposing players :D ).

exbearkat
July 1st, 2005, 11:23 PM
Sam Houston had names on the jerseys last season. I personally dont think there needs to be names on them in college football. It should still be all about the team, not the individual. Plus, if you are a die hard fan like most of us, you know who is what number. It helps get the fans more involved in that way.Actually, last years SH home jerseys had names on the back, but for whatever reason the away uni's did not.

ngineer
July 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
Lehigh has never had players' names on the back. We do have the school's name on the front. I agree with the prior posts. There is no real reason for it. Focus should be on the team.

TxSt02
July 2nd, 2005, 12:30 AM
Mcneese Does not have names, but the word Cowboys on the back.. Prior to 2003, Mcneese had Cowboys on Home jerseys and Mcneese on road jerseys, similar to what baseball teams do... The current uniforms have the words Mcneese State in small letters above the number in the front..

At one time there were names on jersey's, but one of the previous coaches was trying to promote the team concept and thus the change.

It worked out pretty well and i feel personally that if your in the stands you can't read the names on the jersey without binoculars and if your a real fan, you should try to know most of the players by their jersey # anyway..

Yeah this reminds me of highschool volleyball teams... how cute!

McNeese75
July 2nd, 2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah this reminds me of highschool volleyball teams... how cute!

Just about as cute as the that Kansas State Powercat logo the bobkitties copied!!! :eek:

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Just about as cute as the that Kansas State Powercat logo the bobkitties copied!!! :eek:

Don't think we copied it...but whatever. I like it regardless. And, for the record, I think McNeese's jerseys are cool. I like the "Cowboys" on the back--emphasizes the "one team" aspect.

bobcatfan06
July 2nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
Yeah I like the Cowboys on McNeese's uni's too. I don't like the names on jerseys either. I'm glad Coach Bailiff took them off Texas State's. Oh and don't let txst02 get to ya, he is just mad that he lives with all the hippies in Seattle. :p

bkrownd
July 2nd, 2005, 03:02 AM
I'm not a fan of the generic look - give me names. I hate having to look up the number on the roster to see who's playing.

Umass74
July 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM
I recently posted some images of a UMass-UNH game on my fanblog UMass FanZone (http://umass74.blogspot.com/). Scroll down a little.

The pictures date from 1983. That year was one of the very few years UMass had the players names on their jerseys. It also shows the UMass Helmet logo with the standing Minuteman. Both the names and the helmet logo lasted only a short time.

blackfordpu
July 2nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Actually, last years SH home jerseys had names on the back, but for whatever reason the away uni's did not.

I did not notice that. I wonder why that was. I think they should remove them all together.

CosmoVixen24
July 2nd, 2005, 10:20 PM
I'm not a fan of the generic look - give me names. I hate having to look up the number on the roster to see who's playing.

I agree. They have the names on the back at Southeastern.

McNeese75
July 2nd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah I like the Cowboys on McNeese's uni's too. I don't like the names on jerseys either. I'm glad Coach Bailiff took them off Texas State's. Oh and don't let txst02 get to ya, he is just mad that he lives with all the hippies in Seattle. :p

Nuff said LOL :D

catbob
July 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM
If you can read upside down, you can clearly see we have names on our jerseys at MSU. :)

http://www.bobcatnation.com/galleries/fb_040918/1.jpg

th0m
July 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM
JMU has the names on the back. I like having the names on the back, not so much for recognition, but it just adds something of a personal touch to it I feel.

LBPop
July 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM
JMU has the names on the back. I like having the names on the back, not so much for recognition, but it just adds something of a personal touch to it I feel.

Just a thought. While I kind of like the name on the jersey, maybe not having it is more fitting for I-AA vs I-A. It seems to me that one of the biggest (and most refreshing) differences between the two levels is that there are far more I-A players looking for self promotion. As I said, just a thought...

AgentOrange
July 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Did anyone notice in the movie 'Rudy', that when the seniors turned their jerseys into the coach, their names were on the back. I thought that Notre Dame didn't have names on the backs way back when.

eaglefan452
July 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I personally like the names on the back of jerseys. I think GSU used to not have them, and then they put them on however many years ago. I know that it is all about the "team" aspect, but I have to imagine that there is a certain amount of pride a player feels when he goes to put on that jersey for the first or last time and sees his name on the back.

I also like the names on the backs for visiting teams when they come into Paulson, makes it easier for heckling. ;)

ashram
July 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Furman didn't have names on their jerseys until either last year or the year before (?). The players were really happy about the addition, as well as most of the fans.

th0m
July 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM
LBPop, I think that is definitely true to a certain extent. However, I think that a stellar player without his name on his jersey will be spotted as well. If a player is truely that good, he will be noticed anyway.

As much as football is a teamsport, you have to feel confident and good about yourself before you can contribute to the team. I think having your name on your jersey can contribute to that confidence.