PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin Ratings by FCS Conference

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Looks like Mr. SAGAriN has deduced that, after billions and billions of predictions of its extinction, the SoCon is now thriving, and the FCS universe will soon return to its natural order.

Rank
Conference
Avg Rating

MVFC

Big Sky

SoCon

CAA

OVC

Southland

Big South

Patriot

IVY

NEC

MEAC

SWAC

PFL

In 2014, the obviously top ranked conference (MVFC) had 5 teams in the Playoffs. The CAA had 4 teams in the playoffs, so that was obviously the 2nd best conference. The Big Sky and the Southland each had 3 teams in the playoffs, so those conferences must have been tied for 3rd best.

So, looking at these rankings and the 'spread' between 1 & 2, I'd say that the MVFC gets 5 teams in again. Then 2nd and 3rd ranked conferences are very close with a bit of distance between those ranked 3rd and 4th, so I'm wondering...does the SoCon get 3 or 4 Teams in the Playoffs in 2015?

BEAR
September 9th, 2015, 07:56 AM
It's early in the season. I think the Southland will get two in but could get 3 in again. SELA looks strong again. Sam does too. UCA has all its tough games at home and after that Samford game they realized their weaknesses and strengths. It's good to play tough teams early on. Those injuries that took us out of the Samford game I'm hearing should be good to go for NWST in a little over 2 weeks minus one WR.

My order of most likely:
1. Sam 9-2
2. SELA 8-3
3. UCA/SFA/McNeese= 8-3 or 7-4.
4. ACU/NWST/Lamar 7-4 or 6-5
5. HBU/Nicholls/UIW..?? unlikely

This conference is so close this year. Likely 2 playoff teams but a third could slip in with a good season. But I don't expect the third team to make it past the second round.

lionsrking2
September 9th, 2015, 08:13 AM
It's early in the season. I think the Southland will get two in but could get 3 in again. SELA looks strong again. Sam does too. UCA has all its tough games at home and after that Samford game they realized their weaknesses and strengths. It's good to play tough teams early on. Those injuries that took us out of the Samford game I'm hearing should be good to go for NWST in a little over 2 weeks minus one WR.

My order of most likely:
1. Sam 9-2
2. SELA 8-3
4. ACU/NWST 7-4 or 6-5
5. HBU/Nicholls..?? unlikely

This conference is so close this year. Likely 2 playoff teams but a third could slip in with a good season. But I don't expect the third team to make it past the second round.

Nicholls will be vastly improved. They should easily surpass HBU and UIW and wouldn't surprise if they beat a couple of others. Tim Rebowe will do a great job there.

Catatonic
September 9th, 2015, 08:22 AM

My order of most likely:
1. Sam 9-2
2. SELA 8-3
4. ACU/NWST 7-4 or 6-5
5. HBU/Nicholls..?? unlikely

Based soley on week one, I don't know how you could place either UCA or SFA as high as third in the conference. Both teams have flaws that were painfully exposed in their openers. SFA's defense did not perform any better than last year and UCA's first outing was a disappointment all the way round.

I'd say: Sam, SLU, McNeese (there are advantages to having an off week), with 4th totally up for grabs depending on what coaches do to plan around their deficiencies or remedy them as the season goes along.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Call me back in mid-October when these rankings mean something.

walliver
September 9th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Call me back in mid-October when these rankings mean something.

Or call me back when hell freezes over and these rankings really mean something.:D

AmsterBison
September 9th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Or call me back when hell freezes over and these rankings really mean something.:D

http://letsgrowveggies.com/north_dakota/58203/frost_dates/

<insert "hiding under chair eating popcorn" smiley>

Conference ratings are overrated.

BEAR
September 9th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Based soley on week one, I don't know how you could place either UCA or SFA as high as third in the conference. Both teams have flaws that were painfully exposed in their openers. SFA's defense did not perform any better than last year and UCA's first outing was a disappointment all the way round.

I'd say: Sam, SLU, McNeese (there are advantages to having an off week), with 4th totally up for grabs depending on what coaches do to plan around their deficiencies or remedy them as the season goes along.

I think I said after one week its hard to determine the ranking but I gave it my best shot.
Here's what I do know about my team.
Those injuries played a HUGE role in how the offense played against Samford..a VERY good team.
With 2 QBs injured the injured starter was able to return and complete 40+ passes of 60 attempts and gain nearly 500 yards of offense. That's solid for the situation. Plus we will have the backup return to start conference. I think the backup is just as good or better!
Our starting RB will be back. Plus we have senior RBs that can get it done.
Our O/D lines have seen what it takes to go against a team like Samford. With experience comes knowledge. With knowledge comes application. I bet they improve drastically next week. OSU will be tough though..as they should be.
Our defense will have to improve in the passing game. A different scheme was implemented and it will take more than one game to adjust. But they will..
That's why I put UCA/SFA up there. BUT it is only one game and the next one isn't going to help in measuring this team. Against SLC teams is where the difference lies for the top three teams. But as I said I'd rather play Samford than the sisters of mercy..you only get better when you play better teams.