Idaho State
1-0

Harvard
0-1

William & Mary
1-0
NR

Dropped from rankings: Eastern Illinois
Others receiving votes: Northern Arizona (36), Portland State (22), Jackson State (19), South Carolina State (18), Samford (17), North Dakota (17), Towson (12), Western Illinois (12), Western Carolina (11), South Dakota (10), Charleston Southern (8), Alcorn State (4), Furman (2), Jacksonville (1), Southern Illinois (1).

cpalum
September 7th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Cal Poly at #20 is a joke. Top 15 at least probably deserve top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
September 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/5cT8vckHu3CoM/giphy.gif

BisonFan02
September 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM
South Dakota? Alcorn State? Jackson State? Whatever.....and NDSU is WAY too high.

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Wow. 7 teams within 80 points of #1. Not much love for FBS wins for Portland State & North Dakota.

Harvard 0-1. Must have lost intersquad scrimmage.

Daytripper
September 7th, 2015, 11:47 AM
McNeese could dissolve their program and still be ranked.

Drblankstare
September 7th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Ummmm. Why is this poll always so ****ing terrible.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 7th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Ummmm. Why is this poll always so ****ing terrible.
I can't blame them. They need someone qualified (nationally) to say "hey, are you thinking about this or that? Why do you think team a is more deserving than team b considering what happened" and so forth and so on.

They got much bigger fish to fry and heck if no one is forcing you to put too much thought into it then I assume you'd concentrate your efforts elsewhere.

I try to not say bad things about other polls but I think I've assessing their problem legitimately.

centennial
September 7th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Almost take out a Big 10 team get 1 point. LOL.

McNeese75
September 7th, 2015, 11:32 PM
McNeese could dissolve their program and still be ranked.

They certainly do not deserve to be ranked but WOW are you a whiny little bitch on these poll threads xcoffeex

slostang
September 8th, 2015, 04:25 AM
I think at this point of the season the rankings should be based on 4 things.

1) Last season's record

2) Returning starters (premium on QB)

3) Possible impact transfers

4) This season's record.

Using the above criteria let's compare Montana and Cal Poly.

1) Montana 8-5 (6-2) Cal Poly 7-5 (5-3) with a 21 point win over Montana. Montana had a one game better record, but loss big to Cal Poly. PUSH

2) Montana 7 offense (no returning QB with starting experience) 6 defense. Cal Poly 9 offense (2 year returning starter at QB) 5 defense. Advantage Cal Poly.

3) Neither team have a huge impact transfer. Push

4) Montana 1-1 Cal Poly 1-0 with road win over the Griz. Advantage Cal Poly.

Tell me using the above criteria why Montana deserves to be ranked 12 spots higher than a team that beat them by 21 points last season and just beat them on the road this season? Cal Poly returns more starters including a 2 year starting QB. Am I missing something?

tomq04
September 8th, 2015, 08:41 AM

1) Last season's record

4) This season's record.

1) Montana 8-5 (6-2) Cal Poly 7-5 (5-3) with a 21 point win over Montana. Montana had a one game better record, but loss big to Cal Poly. PUSH

2) Montana 7 offense (no returning QB with starting experience) 6 defense. Cal Poly 9 offense (2 year returning starter at QB) 5 defense. Advantage Cal Poly.

Tell me using the above criteria why Montana deserves to be ranked 12 spots higher than a team that beat them by 21 points last season and just beat them on the road this season? Cal Poly returns more starters including a 2 year starting QB. Am I missing something?

I think you have it figured out, roughly speaking.

cpalum
September 8th, 2015, 09:23 AM

1) Last season's record

4) This season's record.

Slo I think you are arguing with a ghost.....I bet most Montana fans would agree that Cal Poly should be way higher in this poll. AGS has it about right; the coaches are too busy game planning for Saturday to be bothered to even make a decent assessment. This poll is worthless from my point of view.

Daytripper
September 8th, 2015, 09:44 AM
They certainly do not deserve to be ranked but WOW are you a whiny little bitch on these poll threads xcoffeex

It was meant to be a joke. I guess emoticons are now required..xnodx:D

McNeese75
September 8th, 2015, 09:48 AM
It was meant to be a joke. I guess emoticons are now required..xnodx:D

xlolx xthumbsupx (I do however know where you are coming from regarding McNeese getting ranked, time will tell if they deserve it, well unless all their games get rained out this year xcoolx)

Redbirdz
September 8th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Except for Auburn, Jax State should run the table.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2015, 04:46 PM

1) Last season's record

4) This season's record.

I'd have no problem with CP being above us but your ologic on #4 falls far short. Our previous week win was bigger than your even if it was over us. 4 is a push at best.

semobison
September 8th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Cal Poly is too low, NDSU is too high and South Dakota receives 10 others receiving votes...damn?

SU DOG
September 8th, 2015, 06:03 PM

That's both a statement on how good the Gamecocks are(and I do agree), however, it is also a reflection of how weak the OVC is.

Rooms
September 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM
South Dakota? Alcorn State? Jackson State? Whatever.....and NDSU is WAY too high.

I'd like to agree about NDSU, although I am not surprised the reining champs didn't fall too far as their first game was decided over the last play.

Milktruck74
September 9th, 2015, 08:00 PM

I see this happening. They were impressive last week. The Mocs had trouble on the line of scrimage....on both sides of the ball. Keep the Bigs healthy and JSU will have a great season....I expect the Mocs to walk through the conference (Except Samford, they are a little bit scary)...Maybe we will get another shot at you guys!

jacksfan29
September 10th, 2015, 09:28 AM
The "Dakota" issue? If I recall, at a time UND was terrible under Mussman they were receiving votes. That is just one of the problems with NDSU and SDSU moving up before UND and USD.

It will take some time for some people, in areas outside the Midwest to realize that there are two schools in SD and two schools in ND. Success by both UND and USD (which will happen) will eliminate the confusion.

Cal Poly is too low, NDSU is too high and South Dakota receives 10 others receiving votes...damn?

slostang
September 10th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I'd have no problem with CP being above us but your ologic on #4 falls far short. Our previous week win was bigger than your even if it was over us. 4 is a push at best.
So in #4 the advantage should go to Montana? If you are saying push because your win against NDSU the week before I can see that, but I can not see Montana having the advantage when they lost to Cal Poly at home.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Cal Poly should be ranked ahead of Montana. I am saying they should not be 12 spots higher than Montana given the above 4 points.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2015, 02:00 PM
So in #4 the advantage should go to Montana? If you are saying push because your win against NDSU the week before I can see that, but I can not see Montana having the advantage when they lost to Cal Poly at home.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Cal Poly should be ranked ahead of Montana. I am saying they should not be 12 spots higher than Montana given the above 4 points.

I think you meant they should not be 12 lower? But yes I agree with that. I was saying that your #4 which you had listed as advantage is actually more of a push than an advantage CP.

If it had ben a vote after week 1 then MT probably goes way up the charts, with a loss the next weekend we fall back down a bit. I think the up would have been more than the fall.

CP is likely undervalued but they have a stigma of being hot then falling off the wagon so people may take this into account in just not being used to them a top 10 team. They are.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I think you meant they should not be 12 lower? But yes I agree with that. I was saying that your #4 which you had listed as advantage is actually more of a push than an advantage CP.

If it had ben a vote after week 1 then MT probably goes way up the charts, with a loss the next weekend we fall back down a bit. I think the up would have been more than the fall.

CP is likely undervalued but they have a stigma of being hot then falling off the wagon so people may take this into account in just not being used to them a top 10 team. They are.

When the results are:

NDSU loses to Montana
Montana beats NDSU and loses to Cal Poly
Cal Poly beats Montana

I don't understand how a poll vote at this point can have the teams in any other order than Cal Poly, Montana, NDSU. As each team starts to win and lose I don't mind swapping them even with a head to head win/loss, but after week 1 CP>Montana>NDSU. No way around it. We play the game on the field.

GoAgs72
September 10th, 2015, 02:35 PM
The "Dakota" issue? If I recall, at a time UND was terrible under Mussman they were receiving votes. That is just one of the problems with NDSU and SDSU moving up before UND and USD.

It will take some time for some people, in areas outside the Midwest to realize that there are two schools in SD and two schools in ND. Success by both UND and USD (which will happen) will eliminate the confusion.

Fortunately I got that all sorted out while UC Davis was still in DII.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2015, 02:51 PM
When the results are:

NDSU loses to Montana
Cal Poly beats Montana

I don't understand how a poll vote at this point can have the teams in any other order than Cal Poly, Montana, NDSU. As each team starts to win and lose I don't mind swapping them even with a head to head win/loss, but after week 1 CP>Montana>NDSU. No way around it. We play the game on the field.

Rob, you try to push that and I'm not completely averse to the thinking but there is very little to judge things on and you know well that a team like NDSU, or Montana, or Cal Polly could be the best of the three...they are all pretty even and with one week in it can be the way you said but it's a simpleton view to say it should be that way. I think polls should move quickly to recognize teams but acting like it should be that simple answer is just BS.

If these three teams played a round robbin and all came out 1-1 then who is the better team? I think NDSU would win 60% against the Griz, I think the Griz would win 60% against CP with what I've seen so far. If I'm ranking them and it is who do I think is better based on what I know then it goies NDSU, UM, CP all in very close proximity.

With another week that could easily completely flip also.

Your philosophy is yours, mine is mine. acting like one is right or wrong is a dullards work so let's not try and say one way is the answer on the thing.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Rob, you try to push that and I'm not completely averse to the thinking but there is very little to judge things on and you know well that a team like NDSU, or Montana, or Cal Polly could be the best of the three...they are all pretty even and with one week in it can be the way you said but it's a simpleton view to say it should be that way. I think polls should move quickly to recognize teams but acting like it should be that simple answer is just BS.

If these three teams played a round robbin and all came out 1-1 then who is the better team? I think NDSU would win 60% against the Griz, I think the Griz would win 60% against CP with what I've seen so far. If I'm ranking them and it is who do I think is better based on what I know then it goies NDSU, UM, CP all in very close proximity.

With another week that could easily completely flip also.

Your philosophy is yours, mine is mine. acting like one is right or wrong is a dullards work so let's not try and say one way is the answer on the thing.

Right, with another week it could flip. But it hasn't been another week. ;)

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2015, 03:45 PM

I'm not arguing right and wrong. I thought we were discussing things. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I'm not arguing right and wrong. I thought we were discussing things. :)

Yes, that's how I discuss things.

To be honest it came off a little "this is the way it's done" so I answered in that regard.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Right, with another week it could flip. But it hasn't been another week. ;)

I covered that. It isn't enough so I filled in with the who is better out of 10 in what I know now. As it is now, that's how I see it, it could flip next week wasn't the item you want to stick on. It's small in the overall.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Yes, that's how I discuss things.

To be honest it came off a little "this is the way it's done" so I answered in that regard.

I just think that's reasonable poll logic at this point in the season. I understand any of the teams could be better. Just the way I see it. Stupid internet. ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2015, 04:00 PM
I just think that's reasonable poll logic at this point in the season. I understand any of the teams could be better. Just the way I see it. Stupid internet. ;)

It is reasonable, as are other philosophies. The uninformed philosophy is really the only one that I can come up with that has no redeeming value.xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM
It is reasonable, as are other philosophies. The uninformed philosophy is really the only one that I can come up with that has no redeeming value.xthumbsupx

Like voting 3 Ivies? :D

FCSwatcher
September 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM
When the results are:

NDSU loses to Montana
Cal Poly beats Montana

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Like voting 3 Ivies? :D

I wouldn't do it but mvem is about as solid on his picks when it's all said and done as anyone...and he actually has reason and forethought in every placement which is more than you get from some.

In other words, that mofo has great ballot defense. xlolx