PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Georgetown LB Ty Williams

Gangtackle11
September 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2562103-ty-williams-injury-updates-on-georgetown-lbs-recovery-from-neck-surgery

RichH2
September 6th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Tragic. Prayers that he recovers fully.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Wow, that is horrible. My best wishes to a full recovery for the young feller.

Fox 94
September 6th, 2015, 08:16 PM
God bless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ngineer
September 6th, 2015, 08:50 PM
So sorry to read this. One of the major fears of this game. The early indications would lead one to hope that with time and rehab, he will lead a normal life. Best wishes to the young man.

superman7515
September 6th, 2015, 08:58 PM
That's terrible. Best wishes for a quick recovery for this young man.

The Yo Show
September 6th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Praying for a full recovery for the young man. That is tragic.

Gater
September 6th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Praying for Ty and his family.

hebmskebm
September 6th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Update with some good news

https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/640721237900140544

Hoping for a speedy recovery for this young man

Go...gate
September 6th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Thoughts and prayers with that young man and his family. Hope he will make a full recovery.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Anything new on this?

RedFlash
September 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Here is an article from the local paper near St. Francis regarding Ty Williams progress. http://m.tribdem.com/sports/player-showing-signs-of-progress-after-suffering-serious-neck-injury/article_4310e038-55c5-11e5-8e08-67b44db4fa01.html?mode=jqm

There was also an update from Urban High School coach Dave Mencarini on Twitter (@UCoach_Mac) earlier today indicating that Ty is doing better - but has a long road ahead of him. Praying for a full recovery!

Go...gate
September 8th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the update, RedFlash.

AshevilleApp2
September 8th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Hadn't seen this until now. Best of luck for a full recovery.

caribbeanhen
September 8th, 2015, 03:56 PM
a sincere get well young man!

Andy
September 8th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Thoughts are with Ty as he fights through to recovery.

RedFlash
September 11th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Ty Williams' family has set up a GoFundMe page to help cover some of their expenses while Ty is recovering. Here is a link to that page: http://www.gofundme.com/uh3uarpc

They've included an update on his injury and status:

While going in for a tackle, Tyrell sustained a severe neck injury shattering 1 vertebrae, fracturing another and fracturing the C6 disc of his spine. This left him experiencing paralysis in his legs. Doctors are optimistic that with surgery and rehabilitation, Tyrell will be able to walk again. After 9 hours of surgery at UPMC Altoona hospital, Tyrell recieved a spinal fusion with rods from C6 to T5, along with a prostethic intervertebral disc. Since surgery, Tyrell has been in ICU recovering well. Some amazing news so far... He's been able to move his right foot twice, flex his toe on his left foot and move his knee! Some have said his progress so far in such short time has been miraculous!!!

Bisonator
September 11th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Wow hadn't seen this before. Prayers for a speedy recovery. Sounds like he is making great progress!

blackbeard
September 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Prayers for a full recovery

kdinva
September 11th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Ty Williams' family has set up a GoFundMe page to help cover some of their expenses while Ty is recovering. Here is a link to that page: http://www.gofundme.com/uh3uarpc

While going in for a tackle, Tyrell sustained a severe neck injury shattering 1 vertebrae, fracturing another and fracturing the C6 disc of his spine. This left him experiencing paralysis in his legs. Doctors are optimistic that with surgery and rehabilitation, Tyrell will be able to walk again. After 9 hours of surgery at UPMC Altoona hospital, Tyrell recieved a spinal fusion with rods from C6 to T5, along with a prostethic intervertebral disc. Since surgery, Tyrell has been in ICU recovering well. Some amazing news so far... He's been able to move his right foot twice, flex his toe on his left foot and move his knee! Some have said his progress so far in such short time has been miraculous!!!

Praying for Mr. Williams to make a full recovery. The hospital in Altoona is doing super good work!! xnodx

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Modern medicine can at times work miracles. Hoping for his full recovery

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Modern medicine can at times work miracles. Hoping for his full recovery

With ya on this, hoping for a full recovery and a good life after football for the fella.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Oh btw, I hope people continue to donate but AGS just made a donation from the donations you guys made here as well.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Well done, Ursus.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Well done, Ursus.xthumbsupx

Thank you but it is the guys with donor badges that made it possible so they get the recognition for that one.

RedFlash
September 14th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Latest update on Ty Williams and their fundraising efforts:

"Wow! We reached our $20k goal! Words cannot describe how thankful we are for all of the prayers, donations, and well wishes. I have increased the goal to allow for more donations."

Here's the link again to his gofundme page: http://www.gofundme.com/uh3uarpc

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 15th, 2015, 12:01 PM
May God bless this unfortunate fellow.

It is hard to believe that it happened on DeGol Field. No fan wants such a tragedy to occur on their grass.

The hospital at Altoona has always done great work. It is much superior to the "hospital" in State College. I would turn Christian Scientist instead of going there.

Hopefully, he makes a full recovery! Prayers sent.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 15th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I read in the article that Bob Krimmel, the AD, was in to see the player. I know Bob Krimmel personally. He is a fine man and a great AD. His son Rob, the basketball coach, is another good guy in sports.

I'm proud that the Saint Francis family has extended our hands around him.

Beachdude
September 15th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Prayers for a full recovery.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2015, 01:07 AM
I read in the article that Bob Krimmel, the AD, was in to see the player. I know Bob Krimmel personally. He is a fine man and a great AD. His son Rob, the basketball coach, is another good guy in sports.

I'm proud that the Saint Francis family has extended our hands around him.

Agreed - nice work by the AD and by the St. Francis family!

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM
every football parents worse nightmare, heart goes out for Mom and Dad

RedFlash
September 17th, 2015, 09:32 AM
The fundraising for Ty William's is just shy of $30K and he's scheduled to move to a rehab facility in Atlanta this week. Continued prayers for this young man and his family.

Here's an article updating his status: http://towncourier.com/gu-qo-football-player-tackling-toughest-opponent/

Also, his cousin is asking if someone could reach out to the Dallas Cowboys to see if they could get a message to Ty as they are his favorite team. If anyone has a connection, I'm sure the family would really appreciate it.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2015, 10:44 AM
so allow me to ask an innocent question, a college football player gets hurt, I always assumed the College paid the medical bills... obvioulsy not the case or at least not in all cases.

melloware13
September 17th, 2015, 04:46 PM
so allow me to ask an innocent question, a college football player gets hurt, I always assumed the College paid the medical bills... obvioulsy not the case or at least not in all cases.
They might have an insurance policy, which usually means lots of forms and lawyers before anyone gets their claim paid. I would have thought that Georgetown would have some money to chip in, but I don't know if the NCAA would call that an impermissible benefit.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
They might have an insurance policy, which usually means lots of forms and lawyers before anyone gets their claim paid. I would have thought that Georgetown would have some money to chip in, but I don't know if the NCAA would call that an impermissible benefit.

If there's actually a debate as to whether such a benefit is "permissible", that's sad.

HailSzczur
September 17th, 2015, 08:10 PM

I remember it coming up with Kevin Ware after he got hurt in the F4 a few years back. Looks like the NCAA requires that all student athletes have some sort of insurance. Whether that is provided by the school or not is up to the discretion if the individual school it appears.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/01/kevin-ware-louisville-cardinals-medical-bills/2044871/

ngineer
September 18th, 2015, 12:05 AM

Insurance does not cover everything. It all depends on your policy language. Many incidentals are not covered in many policies. The family may have to make renovations to their house for accessability reasons, etc.

blackbeard
September 18th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Family insurance covers what it will. School insurance policies will pay for anything not covered, along with deductibles and co-pays. But none of this is going to cover family expenditures for transportation, housing, etc in a case like this, so the fund raising is important. Of course Gtown has plenty of money to help out but may be limited some by NCAA rules - hopefully not.

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I remember it coming up with Kevin Ware after he got hurt in the F4 a few years back. Looks like the NCAA requires that all student athletes have some sort of insurance. Whether that is provided by the school or not is up to the discretion if the individual school it appears.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/01/kevin-ware-louisville-cardinals-medical-bills/2044871/

All NCAA athletes are covered by insurance through their school. Blackbeard is correct.

I required 2 surgeries due to injuries sustained while playing college football. On both occasions my parents insurance was the main provider, and covered the bulk of the costs. Anything not covered by private insurance is covered by the school insurance. In my case the expensive knee brace required after surgery was not covered completely by my insurance, and the remainder or the bills were picked up by the school "supplemental" policy.

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2015, 02:51 PM
all great points on the insurance and everything else that comes with a tragedy like this....