PDA

View Full Version : Power Rankings Formula

mmiller_34
September 6th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Alright, some of you might remember but I used to do an MVFC Power Rankings a few years back and it was a lot of fun but got way too complicated and I always ended up running into problems then having to mess around with the formula to see what went wrong. I am starting from scratch and looking into putting out some more power rankings this year. However, I need some help.

Instead of having a formula that jumbles up all the data and turning out some random number, I want to instead run the Power Rankings like fantasy football works. For example:

Points Allowed:
If allowed 0-9 points, then 30 power points earned
If allowed 10-19 points, then 20 power points earned
If allowed 20-29 points, then 10 power points earned
If allowed 30 + points, then 0 power points earned

Points Scored:
If scored 30+ points, then 30 power points earned
If scored 20-29 points, then 20 power points earned
If scored 10-19 points, then 10 power points earned
If scored 0-9, then 0 power points earned

Same deal with Offensive Yards & Defensive Yards allowed -- they'll run on similar scales but weighted half of what total points is since the most important thing is point differential. However, I think, you should earn some points for how much yards your team has gained and how many yards they have given up (for example, If racked up 500+ yards of offense you'll earn 15 PP)

There could also be other variables for power points earned based on the competition your team played, turnover margin, etc. For example:

Strength of Competition:
Ranked FBS: 5
FBS: 2.5
Ranked FCS: 2.0
FCS: 0
Lower Scholly Teams (D-III,DII, Pioneer, NEC): -5

The problem that I am running into is that Indiana State this week... would be #1 in the ranking since they BLEW Butler out of the water. I good performance sure, but certainly not enough I would think to put them in the top spot. So there has to be some sort of variable that penalizes Indiana State for playing weaker competition but still allows them to score some respectful Power Points since they did exactly what was expected of them.

Let me know what you think. I'll be busy on excel trying to figure this out.

mmiller_34
September 6th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Alright here is what I did, if anyone is following:

Variables:

Points Scores, Points Allowed, Yards For, Yards Against, Win Bonus,

Points Scored

​0-9 -- If greater than 9, then 10 Points. Less than 9, then 0.
10-19 -- 10 Points
20-29 -- 10 Points
30 + -- 10 Points

(If you score 30+ you rack up all 40 possible points. If you score 7 points, 0 points)

Points Allowed

0-9 -- If greater than 9, then 0, otherwise 10 points.
10-19 -- If greater than 19, then 0, otherwise 10 points.
20-29 -- If greater than 29, then 0, otherwise 10 points.
30+ -- If greater than 30, then 0, otherwise 10 points.

(If you allow only 7 points, then your team will rack up all 40 possible points. If your team allowed 38 points, then 0 points)

Yards For & Yards Against

Same way the PS & PA works. However, Increments are these:

150-250
250-350
350-450
450+

Your team receives 2 points for each increment achieved. With Yards against, the points work the opposite. If you allow only 120 yards, your team will receive 40 points and decreasing as your team allows more yards.

Win bonus
Each team will receive 5 points for a win. If you lose, you get 0.

After PS, PA, YF, YA, and the Win Bonus are calculated it will give you a base value for Power Points. Then we apply the Strength of Schedule Adjustment:

Strength of Schedule Adj
Ranked FBS -- Multiply by 1.75
FBS -- Multiply by 1.5
Ranked FCS -- Multiply by 1.25
Lower Scholly -- Multiply by .50

These are the results I came up with after putting all this data together:

Western Illinois

South Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Youngstown State

North Dakota State

Indiana State