PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly beats Montana

centennial
September 5th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Surprised Montana lost. Last minute win.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400795508

Drblankstare
September 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM
I wished I could have watched that 4th quarter. The finally minutes looked bonkers as I followed along on game cast.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 5th, 2015, 11:43 PM
So Montana beats NDSU, and Cal Poly beats Montana. This isn't going to make the poll any easier to figure out this week.

Drblankstare
September 5th, 2015, 11:46 PM
I'm screwed for this weeks poll. I have no idea where to put anybody right now. I'm guessing Coastal goes to 1

smilo
September 5th, 2015, 11:47 PM
L.O.L.

4/12 passing for 56 yards. I know CP loves to run, but they even did the final game winning drive with that against the clock. Wow.

Big Sky may be extraordinarily competitive this year with the usual top 5 plus Idaho State plus SUU and Portland State and potentially even Weber and North Dakota who had solid weekends. I can't believe it. They likely passed the Colonial. Montana may have a hard time getting to 7 wins considering Liberty is up next away from Missoula. They have every team I just listed except Southern Utah - instead they get Davis on the road. Very, very tough. (Pre-mature concern trolling)

slostang
September 5th, 2015, 11:47 PM
So Montana beats NDSU, and Cal Poly beats Montana. This isn't going to make the poll any easier to figure out this week.
I am happy that we could make it tough on you.

centennial
September 5th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Good job to your team. I have no idea what to think as well.

Bisonwinagn
September 5th, 2015, 11:51 PM

Poly looked like the better team overall today, but had some mistakes in the 4th that almost cost them. Also I like Stitt's aggressiveness, but going for it on 4th down may have cost him the win at the end considering Poly is not a fast scoring team.

centennial
September 5th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Poly looked like the better team overall today, but had some mistakes in the 4th that almost cost them. Also I like Stitt's aggressiveness, but going for it on 4th down may have cost him the win at the end considering Poly is not a fast scoring team.
He is a gambler. His risks, even though some of them not even statistically sound helped Montana win last week. This week it didn't work out.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 5th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I'm screwed for this weeks poll. I have no idea where to put anybody right now. I'm guessing Coastal goes to 1

Well, NDSU came back with a win against Wyoming, but really, they almost should have been the favorites in that game (for all I know they were). EWU put up a lot of points against Oregon.

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Well, NDSU came back with a win against Wyoming, but really, they almost should have been the favorites in that game (for all I know they were). EWU put up a lot of points against Oregon.

Wrong ND school......NDSU was on a bye week.

centennial
September 5th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Wot?
UND beat Wyoming.
NDSU is taking the week off.

taper
September 5th, 2015, 11:57 PM

That was UND. Why do people still mix us up?

Bisonwinagn
September 5th, 2015, 11:59 PM

True I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU get's some credit for the North Dakota win based on history of the voters.

BisonFan02
September 6th, 2015, 12:00 AM

I have no idea....It would be like mixing up Delaware with Delaware St....but maybe Delaware fans wouldn't mind right about now. :D

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2015, 12:08 AM
As a poll perfection representative, I hope he can recognize the difference between North Dakota and North Dakota State, among the many other "university of" and "state university" schools in the FCS...

GoAgs72
September 6th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Any bright ideas of how to place NDSU and Montana in the AGS poll now? Obviously Cal Poly moves way up.

veinup
September 6th, 2015, 12:20 AM
congrats to poly. that crazyass offense of yours plus our 2000 turnovers .. my my. what a game. emotional rollercoaster. after the safety i thought we'd be able to hold it together .. didn't help that my stream was cutting out constantly. sigh. big sky is crazy this year.

Professor Chaos
September 6th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Any bright ideas of how to place NDSU and Montana in the AGS poll now?
At this point in the season I think you could make an argument for anywhere between #1 and unranked for either... honestly.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not for unranked but anywhere between #1 and #20 for either.

slostang
September 6th, 2015, 01:16 AM
At this point in the season I think you could make an argument for anywhere between #1 and unranked for either... honestly.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not for unranked but anywhere between #1 and #20 for either.So where does Cal Poly rank this week?

centennial
September 6th, 2015, 01:19 AM
So where does Cal Poly rank this week?
Most people will go with don't know how to rate. IMO they should be top 15.

Catbooster
September 6th, 2015, 01:19 AM
So where does Cal Poly rank this week?
Higher than last week xthumbsupx

Congrats

Red & Black
September 6th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Caught the tail end of it. Solid win for Cal Poly. The BSC will be tough this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Montana probably shouldn't really move too much with the last two weeks and Poly should be top 15 probably. They have a very solid defense and as always are built well.

Good job CP. Really played hard football tonight. Deserved the victory for sure.

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2015, 01:56 AM
The Cal Poly defense was better than I expected (they were lousy last year), but the Griz being out of sync certainly helped them. It also appears the 'Stangs finally found a kicker after a bazillion years of that being a liability for them—CP made as many field goals today as they did all of last year. xlolx Cal Poly's punter and punt returner, on the other hand, were not so good.

Montana wasted a great defensive effort. The Griz have only allowed 13 total points in the second half against two top-flight offenses.

As for rankings… Cal Poly did get a huge win and should be top-20 at a minimum. Still, we wouldn't even be talking about them if they'd actually lost some of their offense/special teams fumbles.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2015, 07:39 AM

BlueHen, take a deep breath...

X-Factor
September 6th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Tough week for Montana having to turn around and play Cal Poly so quickly after beating the Bison. That has got to be tough to do after a big emotional win. Not saying Cal Poly didn't play well, they will move up substantially in my poll, but in the early part of the season anything can happen.

kalm
September 6th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Congrats, my man! Will there be a third Mustang rep at our tailgate this year?

Herder
September 6th, 2015, 09:28 AM

Michigan State didn't look very good either in Harbaugh's debut.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Wrong ND school......NDSU was on a bye week.

Wot?
UND beat Wyoming.
NDSU is taking the week off.

Whoops, thanks for the clarification! I usually don't mix y'all up, but in this case I just saw the FBS win and automatically assumed it was NDSU.

jsnow84
September 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Please tell me you are kidding. With a 3 point win over Furman? If Coastal played NDSU, Eastern Washington and Montana, they MIGHT win one game. It is called scheduling cupcakes. smh

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Meh - Dakota schools.xcoffeexxrolleyesx

Minnesota, Kansas are another couple that lump Jack(not)SiouxBisonYotes into one pot.

Seems only one who care are those who follow the four (yes, FOUR) different schools.

Silenoz
September 6th, 2015, 02:34 PM
I wasn't able to watch the final drive, but I'd be real curious to know how we let a triple option team pass down the field on us with 1 minute and no TO's left...

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I wasn't able to watch the final drive, but I'd be real curious to know how we let a triple option team pass down the field on us with 1 minute and no TO's left...

They managed to get out of bounds on pretty much every play, including on the option stretch plays.

Grizzlies82
September 6th, 2015, 03:39 PM

They didn't do it by air. Essentially it was run for 5, run for 6, run for 4... primarily all to the outside to get out of bounds and stop the clock.
Cal Poly moved the ball quickly and efficiently on the ground to be able to kick a 49 yarder with 4 seconds left. Nice job Mustangs.

Earlier they had a very pretty pass for about a 35 yard TD. Otherwise the Poly completions were very short dump off passes.

Silenoz
September 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM
They didn't do it by air. Essentially it was run for 5, run for 6, run for 4... primarily all to the outside to get out of bounds and stop the clock.
Cal Poly moved the ball quickly and efficiently on the ground to be able to kick a 49 yarder with 4 seconds left. Nice job Mustangs.

Earlier they had a very pretty pass for about a 35 yard TD. Otherwise the Poly completions were very short dump off passes.

Somehow that is even more disappointing...

At this point I'm just going to assume any game against a TO team is a loss until we get a D coordinator that proves he can defend it

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Our D does not get the blame for that loss. Our D was damn good and they sure as hell could have used a little help last night.

Silenoz
September 6th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I figured someone would say that. They did alright, mostly towards the beginning. Then they wore down as Gus self-destructed. And they were obviously targeting Peevy's (I'm assuming that's who that was, had no volume and I can't pay close attention to the team this year) replacement. Still, you've got a TO team that needs to drive the field with no time outs?...

SeattleGriz
September 6th, 2015, 04:50 PM
I think we went into our Triple Option prevent defense for their last drive.

Drblankstare
September 6th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Please tell me you are kidding. With a 3 point win over Furman? If Coastal played NDSU, Eastern Washington and Montana, they MIGHT win one game. It is called scheduling cupcakes. smh

i notice you did not supply the answer. If not Coastal whom then should it be. And why

centennial
September 6th, 2015, 07:42 PM
i notice you did not supply the answer. If not Coastal whom then should it be. And why
The number 1 should be a split between either Sam Houston or EWU. Sam Houston looked good and played a good game against average-maybe good Big 12. EWU scored a lot on the #7 team in the country.

Catsfan90
September 6th, 2015, 07:43 PM

I can def see coastal at 1.

putter
September 6th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Griz O struggled and Gus had a tough game throwing, high on most of his throws. Defensive line down to 2 back-up DT, one of whom used to be fullback and the other a TE yet held Poly in the 2nd half. Stitt needs to make some of those receivers run the M for all the passes they have dropped the first 2 games. Absolute drive killers when you drop a 5 yard pass. They will get it turned around and still be a force by playoff time. Tough OOC games for the Griz for sure this year.

Drblankstare
September 6th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Grizz will only get better as they start to perfect that offense. I was very surprised how sharp it looked against the Bison. I think Stitt may have to adjust his philosophy about going for it on 4th. I love the balls, but this is a higher division and those gambles may cost more if you miss. IMO

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Grizz will only get better as they start to perfect that offense. I was very surprised how sharp it looked against the Bison. I think Stitt may have to adjust his philosophy about going for it on 4th. I love the balls, but this is a higher division and those gambles may cost more if you miss. IMO

The Griz only went on 4th. three times. Stitt recognized how the game was going and punted pretty much every time (including situations where he didn't punt last week). The final 4th. down attempt was a 4th. & 1 on the CP 32, which is a situation where most any coach without a really good kicker would go for it (a first down ends the game).

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2015, 09:32 PM
I figured someone would say that. They did alright, mostly towards the beginning. Then they wore down as Gus self-destructed. And they were obviously targeting Peevy's (I'm assuming that's who that was, had no volume and I can't pay close attention to the team this year) replacement. Still, you've got a TO team that needs to drive the field with no time outs?...

The D only allowed 6 points in the second half against one of the best offenses in FCS, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about the defense. CP didn't even get 400 yards despite running 89 offensive plays. The 'Stangs also averaged just 4.3 ypc (they averaged 5.5 for the season last year) and Chris Brown did absolutely nothing in the second half.

Drblankstare
September 6th, 2015, 09:33 PM
The Griz only went on 4th. three times. Stitt recognized how the game was going and punted pretty much every time (including situations where he didn't punt last week). The final 4th. down attempt was a 4th. & 1 on the CP 32, which is a situation where most any coach without a really good kicker would go for it (a first down ends the game).

Def not saying he shouldn't stay aggressive. I'm mostly speaking from what I saw in the NDSU game. If your still on your side that's a big bet on on your D. 4th quarter 4th downs are of course different because of the situations late in the game.

kalm
September 6th, 2015, 09:39 PM
I can def see coastal at 1.

Nova
SHSU
CCU
EWU
ISU

centennial
September 6th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Nova
SHSU
CCU
EWU
ISU
CCU beat an average team barely. Nova lost to a bad UConn team. ISU game score was deceiving- Iowa could have had a 45-3 type of score if they left 1st team in. IMO.

Southern Bison
September 6th, 2015, 11:57 PM
CCU beat an average team barely. Nova lost to a bad UConn team. ISU game score was deceiving- Iowa could have had a 45-3 type of score if they left 1st team in. IMO.
I was at the Coastal/Furman game...

Coastal looked as strong, if not stronger as last year. Furman looked good after being decimated by injuries last year.

Coastal has my #1 vote this week.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
September 7th, 2015, 01:04 AM

Hey Brock, I assume you've watched CP play so you know that acting like they can not move the ball every bit as well as any throwing team is just a silly notion. You figured someone would say it because it is exactly what happened.

I do think a softer upfield presence allowed them to get out of bounds on every play so Seagriz's prevent thing has some validity.

It's just really hard to believe that someone that has watched CP can think they could not eat up that yardage in very short order?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 7th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Guys, do not talk about your definitive rankings until tomorrow please. Speaking in generalities is all good...like kalm did with a list of possibles etc.

SUUTbird
September 7th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Just because a team utilizes the triple option offense does not mean they can't have big play capability, in fact it's one of the staples of the offense. Get four yards a carry on the run then hit them for a big pass play or break along option, anyone who thinks otherwise really does not understand football.

ngineer
September 7th, 2015, 07:47 AM
An amazing week for Montana and I agree that they were in prime position for a 'let down' after the huge win over NDSU. Still a very tight game against a quality opponent. Had the Griz pulled this one out, they'd be unanimous #1. Now, it seems like "52 pick up".

cpalum
September 8th, 2015, 12:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuI3LcomzD8

I love that you can hear the guy the video yell "no good!"....Its actually amazing how many Cal Poly games have been lost by the inability to hit even a PAT.

Silenoz
September 8th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Hey Brock, I assume you've watched CP play so you know that acting like they can not move the ball every bit as well as any throwing team is just a silly notion. You figured someone would say it because it is exactly what happened.

I do think a softer upfield presence allowed them to get out of bounds on every play so Seagriz's prevent thing has some validity.

It's just really hard to believe that someone that has watched CP can think they could not eat up that yardage in very short order?

Of course they can, they did it all game. But when you are in a situation where you have to move the 40 yards in a minute, with no timeouts, doing it with runs to the sideline is pretty perplexing. And I saw the first play or two, and it looked to me like they weren't even in their usual formations. So I don't really think it's unreasonable for Ty or the defense to get some criticism for that last drive.

Just because a team utilizes the triple option offense does not mean they can't have big play capability, in fact it's one of the staples of the offense. Get four yards a carry on the run then hit them for a big pass play or break along option, anyone who thinks otherwise really does not understand football.
Of course they do. See the long pass they had earlier in the game. I'm talking about the final drive.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Of course they can, they did it all game. But when you are in a situation where you have to move the 40 yards in a minute, with no timeouts, doing it with runs to the sideline is pretty perplexing. And I saw the first play or two, and it looked to me like they weren't even in their usual formations. So I don't really think it's unreasonable for Ty or the defense to get some criticism for that last drive.

Of course they do. See the long pass they had earlier in the game. I'm talking about the final drive.

You can give some criticism but it is ill placed is the point. Yes it would have been very nice to get a tackle in bounds for sure but the effort they gave in trying to cover the shortcomings of the O on Saturday really it is just tough for me to try and lay blame there. Any time our D hold a team down like they did then I damn well expect our O to win that game for us.

I knew it wasn't our night though. You just can't win a game like that where you don't get on one turnover and they lay it down 5 times and get on every one of them and then keep giving the ball away (thanks again D for the extra work there too) like we did.

If Brady and the receivers are just slightly, slightly better we are way better and making mincemeat of mofo's.

SeattleGriz
September 13th, 2015, 10:51 AM

I can't remember where I said it before, but Cal Poly practices their two minute drill as well. You know they have a **** ton of plays to get outside. Ty did what he needed to do and so did Cal Poly. Kicker hit a 49 yarder in the wind and rain. Kicker won the game.