PDA

View Full Version : Portland St. beat Washington St. AND WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT IT

Vitojr130
September 5th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Discuss.

Unless, of course, I'm blind and can't find the thread on it.

ngineer
September 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Wasn't aware of this. Great for FCS and congrats to the Vikings!

IBleedYellow
September 5th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Damn the FCS teams getting the scalps are ones no one was calling... Minus sdsu of course.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2015, 09:09 PM
When it comes to terrible P5 football nothing surprises me anymore with Kansas, Colorado, Washington State. Those three are horrid. Leach has done nothing to turn the Cougars around. Nice win for FCS and Portland State but this is more about the state of Wazzu football imo.

I have no idea why Colorado continues to suck. I grew up with them as a national power. Boulder is awesome! Great place to spend 4-5 years....

The North Dakota win has my attention.

The Boogie Down
September 5th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Unless, of course, I'm blind and can't find the thread on it.

It's been mentioned in the Week 1 Scores thread and in this year's FCS over FBS thread, but yeah, the Vikes deserve their own thread!

CopperCat
September 5th, 2015, 09:11 PM
We aren't talking about it because it isn't an MVFC team.

Congrats to Portland State! The win is certainly the spark they needed.

No_Skill
September 5th, 2015, 09:14 PM
It took an mvfc fan to start this thread. Where were you to start it? Or do prefer snarky comments...like me. :)

Btw I saw a stat saying that the PSU win was the most unlikely upset in the last 10 years.

JALMOND
September 5th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Sorry, my fault. I've been conversing on quite a few sites, I have to admit I didn't think about starting a separate thread here.

Rumor has it Fullerton is going to issue formal invitations to Washington State, Wyoming and Utah State to join the Big Sky next year.

JALMOND
September 5th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Some trivia on this game.

--This was Portland State's first win over the Pac-12. This is only their third win over FBS (they have beaten New Mexico in 2006 and Hawaii in 2000).
--This is Washington State's first loss to any current or former member of the Big Sky since 1947 (I believe that was Montana or Idaho).
--Washington State has now lost their last 4 openers
--Last year, Washington State beat Portland State 59-21, amassing almost 700 yards total offense in that game

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Congrats Portland St!

CopperCat
September 6th, 2015, 08:06 PM
It took an mvfc fan to start this thread. Where were you to start it? Or do prefer snarky comments...like me. :)

Btw I saw a stat saying that the PSU win was the most unlikely upset in the last 10 years.

Fair enough.

Should have put $20 down on PSU to win that game.

Cocky
September 6th, 2015, 08:14 PM
These FCS v P5 wins are happening so often the excitement is hard to generate.

JALMOND
September 6th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Fair enough.

Should have put $20 down on PSU to win that game.

We all should have. I've been a fan of PSU athletics for almost 20 years now, yet if someone had told me that we were going to win yesterday, I would have told them they were crazy.

Gangtackle11
September 6th, 2015, 08:37 PM
So has Portland State become a legit contender in Big Sky over night? I know nothing about them other than Freeman Williams led the NCAA in scoring (hoops) about 40 years ago.

JALMOND
September 6th, 2015, 08:42 PM
So has Portland State become a legit contender in Big Sky over night? I know nothing about them other than Freeman Williams led the NCAA in scoring (hoops) about 40 years ago.

All we've done so far this year is beat a member of a Power 5 Conference, with a quarterback who was starting his first DI game, and an interim coach who has never been a head coach before. Take it as you like, but we have a tough game this weekend at Idaho State's big barn.

kalm
September 6th, 2015, 08:58 PM
WSU was one really bad call away from beating Oregon last year. They're down, but they still have Pac12 bullets. Keeler took a bunch of transfers last year and got them
playing solid, disciplined football at the end. Perhaps Barnum is able to do the same?

JALMOND
September 6th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Interesting tidbit from the PSU/Wazzu game...Washington State went for it on fourth down 7 times, converting 6 of them.
Another interesting tidbit (courtesy of the Seattle Times)...The last time Washington State lost to a current member of the Big Sky Conference, 1947, when they lost 13-12 to Montana.

kalm
September 6th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Interesting tidbit from the PSU/Wazzu game...Washington State went for it on fourth down 7 times, converting 6 of them.
Another interesting tidbit (courtesy of the Seattle Times)...The last time Washington State lost to a current member of the Big Sky Conference, 1947, when they lost 13-12 to Montana.

Gonzaga was in the BSC back then.

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2015, 10:21 PM

The BSC didn't exist back then...

JALMOND
September 6th, 2015, 10:37 PM

Gonzaga actually was playing football back then.xlolx

Herder
September 7th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Gonzaga actually was playing football back then.xlolx

There were some good FCS wins vs. FBS. Then I looked over at the scores for the SWAC. Holy cows, no wonder the FCS has a bad bad name. The SWAC needs to stop playing FBS in week 1 and play NAIA. Ouch . . . 70, 70, 60, 50 . . . name your score.

kalm
September 7th, 2015, 10:08 AM
The BSC didn't exist back then...

Yikes...you're right.