PDA

View Full Version : Football at UTSA by 2010?

texcap
November 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I did not see this posted anywhere else. This is from todays San Antonio Express News.

UTSA would initially play games in the Alamodome and start out in FCS, but with an eye on moving to the FBS.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA113006.01A.FBC.utsa.304d460.html

MplsBison
November 30th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Wow, looks promising!

The Southland can always use more teams.

It's about time UTSA starts looking at getting it done as well.

Both UTA and UTSA have stadiums ready to go (Alamodome).

rokamortis
November 30th, 2006, 05:35 PM
My folks live in SA - I hope they get a team.

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM
UTSA would be a great addition for the SLC. Obviously, the fans they have there believe they should be in the C-USA, which is a great fit when you consider it's mediocre institutions (athletically) in a conference with pretty nice-sized markets (Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston).

All this SLC football talk is very intriguing. Would definitely help scheduling, especially with North Dakota and South Dakota moving up. Hopefully some more institutions move up!

If UTSA, Lamar or Texas St-San Marcos, all three of which have fan bases that won't stop talking about leaving the SLC, we could perhaps see Tarleton St move up from Div II to take a spot in the SLC, if not long shots UT-Pan American and Centenary...

TexasTerror
December 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Wow! Tom Burnett doesn't seem that interested in allowing a UTSA that would be on their way to BS status to come through the conference at all. If UTSA had to be a FCS independent before going BS, it would really throw a cog in their plans and definitely increase costs (due to scheduling)...

Football talk at UTSA makes Southland worry

Web Posted: 11/30/2006 09:31 PM CST

Jerry Briggs
Express-News Staff Writer

The proposed football program at UTSA already has stirred a discussion about the university's relationship and its future with the Southland Conference.

SLC commissioner Tom Burnett expressed concerns Thursday that UTSA eventually wants to split from the conference for another conference that sponsors Division I-A football.

If that is the case, Burnett said he doesn't know whether the SLC would welcome UTSA as a Division I-AA football member in its first season.

"I don't know what interest we would have in (a program) being in our conference a few years on their way to I-A," Burnett said.

Burnett's concerns surfaced a day after UTSA released a report by a national consulting firm that analyzed its ability to start a Division I football program.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA120106.07D.FBCutsa.2ca3b9b.html

texcap
December 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Wow! Tom Burnett doesn't seem that interested in allowing a UTSA that would be on their way to BS status to come through the conference at all. If UTSA had to be a FCS independent before going BS, it would really throw a cog in their plans and definitely increase costs (due to scheduling)...

I have mixed feelings on this. I can understand Burnett's position. No one wants to see their conference used and it is in essence saying that you are not what we want, but you will do for awhile.

On the other hand I would like to see them play in the Southland while gearing up for the move up. Of course many things can change along the way to moving up; just ask FAMU.

TexasTerror
December 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
I have mixed feelings on this. I can understand Burnett's position. No one wants to see their conference used and it is in essence saying that you are not what we want, but you will do for awhile.

Burnett has seen schools move on up from SLC to I-A football. He's a Louisiana boy having involvement at LA Tech, the American South Conference and Sun Belt Conference.

I'm sure he's seen how success or lack of success they've had (namely ULM, ULL), so he probably wouldn't want a UTSA that is so adamant about moving on up, that they're making a mistake for themselves that would hurt the conference and more importantly, themselves.

On the other hand I would like to see them play in the Southland while gearing up for the move up. Of course many things can change along the way to moving up; just ask FAMU.

Good ole Florida A&M. Great example!

walliver
December 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
I think schools that want to play FBS football should start off at the FBS level. It makes very little sense to require start-up teams to play in I-AA/FCS.

1) It reinforces the public image of I-AA/FCS being not ready for prime time.

2) It delays these teams from developing meaningful rivalries. Why should UTSA play SHSU, TxState, etc if their future rivalries are going to be Rice and Tulane?

3) It does the Southland no good to have a temporary member.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM
A read from the San Antonio Express-News where a columnist believes football at UTSA is a long shot from a financial standpoint, brings up the SLC point of things and how recent I-As have done...

Jerry Briggs: Fielding football team at UTSA is a long shot
Web Posted: 12/06/2006 10:15 PM CST
San Antonio Express-News

Briggs The feasibility study on football at UTSA has raised more questions around town than it has answered.

Released Nov. 29, the study projected a timeline by which the Roadrunners could field a team in 2010.

Here are a few hypothetical questions from Joe Fan, complete with a few answers and a few opinions thrown in for good measure:

UTSA officials describe as...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA120706.05C.COL.FBCbriggs.utsa.2edf076.html

TexasTerror
January 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
A step forward happened as it relates to UTSA Athletics and Football this week...

Colleges: City set to chip in on UTSA park
Web Posted: 01/25/2007 09:48 PM CST

Jerry Briggs
Express-News

A citizens committee recommended Thursday that $5.55 million of the city bond package should be earmarked for a UTSA athletics park, city budget director Peter Zanoni said Thursday night.

The community initiatives committee's recommendation will be presented to the City Council next week, Zanoni said.

UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey hailed the recommendation as "outstanding" and thanked the committee for its work.

"We anticipate the cost (of the athletics park) to be $60 million, so at this point, every contribution helps us plant the seed that this is going to happen," Hickey said.
------------------------
The athletics park is expected to serve as a playing site for UTSA athletics teams and for public use.

It is also expected to serve as a practice site for a UTSA football team if the school can find funding to add the sport.
--------------
According to plans, the athletics park would include competition sites for baseball, softball, soccer and track and field.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/localcolleges/stories/MYSA012607.04D.LOCutsa.bond.18d74db.html

89Hen
January 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Wow! Tom Burnett doesn't seem that interested in allowing a UTSA that would be on their way to BS status to come through the conference at all.
I wouldn't either, would you?

TexasTerror
January 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't either, would you?

Not particularly...

Which is the same reason I'm not thrilled with Lamar getting football. They need to get their act together at the FCS level if they want to go up to FBS instead of announcing a plan...

My thinking is Lamar needs a plan to go FBS in order for their fans to buy into FCS, considering their failed visit last time...

youwouldno
January 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
"Planning" to go FBS is one thing. Actually doing it is another. Not that the Sun Belt is choosy, but there still are a lot of expenses involved. Eventually someone usually figures out the move could bankrupt them and so it remains talk. Going from no football to the FCS isn't cheap, either.

slycat
January 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
i wouldnt mind utsa going. it would great for texas st and add a huge rivalery. seeing they are our biggest in basketball im sure it would be the same for football.

i could see acu trying to move up to the slc too if a spot opened up.

TexasTerror
January 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
i could see acu trying to move up to the slc too if a spot opened up.

ACU? Abilene Christian?

They're farther down the picking order than Delta St and Tarleton St...maybe even further down than UT-Pan American and Centenary...

MplsBison
January 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
UTSA is probably on it's way up and out of the SLC if they do add football. I can seem them pairing up with a school like UTEP.

Maroons
January 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM
UTSA really has so many advantages that they'll be able to just rise up and waltz right through the FCS to the BCS? Really?

I find that relatively hard to believe.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Troy, UAB, USF, etc.

BigApp
January 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I think schools that want to play FBS football should start off at the FBS level. It makes very little sense to require start-up teams to play in I-AA/FCS.

What's wrong with it? It's no different than getting your Driving permit when you're 15.

treacherous
February 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
This could be potentially disastrous for Texas State unless the current Athletic Department changes or gets some REAL VISION!

Fresno St. Alum
February 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
The FCS/I-AA start is so the school can average the 15k for I-A. The Sun Belt only has room for 1 more right now. If someone leaves the SLC, I think Tarleton St. will get the spot. They were close last time. Will UTPA ever be able join a conference. What a brutal punishment for them, does that school have nothing to offer the SLC? They were in the Sun Belt for God sakes. That should count for something.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
The FCS/I-AA start is so the school can average the 15k for I-A. The Sun Belt only has room for 1 more right now. If someone leaves the SLC, I think Tarleton St. will get the spot. They were close last time. Will UTPA ever be able join a conference. What a brutal punishment for them, does that school have nothing to offer the SLC? They were in the Sun Belt for God sakes. That should count for something.

UT-Pan American actually has an enrollment (according to their baseball release for SHSU series) of 19,000. Did not realize it was that high...

Anyhow, I think Tarleton State or Delta State (my personal fave) are the two leading candidates for any spot that opens in the SLC, as we've discussed before.

Ultimately, UTSA has lots of obstacles to overcome to even start talking about adding a football team. Alamodome for an FCS squad? Oy! I don't think they'd be able to get 15k in the shadow of the University Texas right along I-35 there as an FBS school, but I wouldn't know til I saw it...

Fresno St. Alum
February 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Maybe UTSA should play on Thursday nights so they don't get in the way of UT. Friday is out because high school is big in Texas. Even if they got 15k in the Alamo it would look empty since it seats 65k or so.

ucdtim17
February 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
The FCS/I-AA start is so the school can average the 15k for I-A.

WKU doesn't average 15k and I think most of the other recent schools to jump up haven't either

Fresno St. Alum
February 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
I don't know how they get around it either. I know a school like Duke gets 800k or so to have a home game in Jacksonville against Florida St. which counts for Duke 15k they need to average.

MplsBison
February 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
I don't think they'd be able to get 15k in the shadow of the University Texas right along I-35

Texas St averages 13k and they're closer to Austin on I 35 than SA is.

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM

UT-San Antonio is also more of a commuter school than Texas State...

Texas State also has some sort of a football history while UTSA would be an upstart that would take some time to get off the ground...Alamodome as a start-up facility would not be best, it'd make things feel more empty...

Fresno St. Alum
February 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Is there any on campus field or area for a field for UTSA for football? Maybe a high school field close to UTSA.

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Is there any on campus field or area for a field for UTSA for football? Maybe a high school field close to UTSA.

Read up...

Mentions Alamodome and then construction of practice facilities need to be made on campus...

http://www.utsa.edu/ucomm/athletics/X.htm

GeauxColonels
February 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
UTSA would be a great addition for the SLC. Obviously, the fans they have there believe they should be in the C-USA, which is a great fit when you consider it's mediocre institutions (athletically) in a conference with pretty nice-sized markets (Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston).

All this SLC football talk is very intriguing. Would definitely help scheduling, especially with North Dakota and South Dakota moving up. Hopefully some more institutions move up!

If UTSA, Lamar or Texas St-San Marcos, all three of which have fan bases that won't stop talking about leaving the SLC, we could perhaps see Tarleton St move up from Div II to take a spot in the SLC, if not long shots UT-Pan American and Centenary...
Wow...that's a HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE long shot.

GeauxColonels
February 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
UT-Pan American actually has an enrollment (according to their baseball release for SHSU series) of 19,000. Did not realize it was that high...

Anyhow, I think Tarleton State or Delta State (my personal fave) are the two leading candidates for any spot that opens in the SLC, as we've discussed before.

Ultimately, UTSA has lots of obstacles to overcome to even start talking about adding a football team. Alamodome for an FCS squad? Oy! I don't think they'd be able to get 15k in the shadow of the University Texas right along I-35 there as an FBS school, but I wouldn't know til I saw it...
Personally, I would personally prefer to see Delta State move up since they would be an easier drive for Nicholls State and Southeastern Louisiana. Plus, they have had more success recently.

TexasTerror
April 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Latest article from UTSA...seems we have two important elections - one a student one to double the athletic fees and a second to give $5.5M in bond money that'd go toward UTSA athletics...

Football team could raise student fees
By: Virginia Scott
Issue date: 4/3/07 Section: News

The university has the potential to add football to its list of sports, but before it can, improvements to the total athletic program need to be considered.

Last year, CARR Sports and Associates, Inc. conducted a feasibility study that established specific areas of improvement across all 16 of UTSA's sports programs. However, only after the athletics departments operational budget is increased, the physical education (PE) building and convocation center renovated and new sports complex is added, can football become a reality at UTSA.

In a plan distributed at a Student Government Association (SGA) meeting by Lynn Hickey, UTSA's director of athletics, head coaches and two assistants would be hired in Feb. 2008. The football team would begin practice in Aug. 2009 and play their first game in Aug. 2010.

http://media.www.paisano-online.com/media/storage/paper975/news/2007/04/03/News/Football.Team.Could.Raise.Student.Fees-2820404.shtml

Fresno St. Alum
April 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
lets hope UTSA gets a team on the field.

TexasTerror
April 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
lets hope UTSA gets a team on the field.

No thanks...

As I've said before, they're intentions are to go FBS from the get go. They will use FCS as a pit-stop on the way up. I'm not sure the SLC will be too thrilled about them announcing football and wanting to use the SLC like that. We'd be better off saying 'thanks, but no thanks' as it relates to the Roadrunners and football...

Fresno St. Alum
April 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe they'll realize that the FCS is better for them once they start playing. If they still want to move to FBS, that is still better than not having football at all.

PrinceofJSU
April 10th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Personally, I would personally prefer to see Delta State move up since they would be an easier drive for Nicholls State and Southeastern Louisiana. Plus, they have had more success recently.
I would have to agree. I think Delta State would make an excellent addition to the SLC. xnodx

Tod
April 10th, 2007, 12:27 AM
No thanks...

As I've said before, they're intentions are to go FBS from the get go. They will use FCS as a pit-stop on the way up. I'm not sure the SLC will be too thrilled about them announcing football and wanting to use the SLC like that. We'd be better off saying 'thanks, but no thanks' as it relates to the Roadrunners and football...

Maybe they'll change their minds after a few years of having their azzes handed to them. :D :p :p

PrinceofJSU
April 10th, 2007, 12:37 AM
No thanks...

I see your reason of concern, but will UTSA presense in SLC for a year or so really hender the conference long term? Maybe their intentions will change once football in the SLC becomes reality.

Fresno St. Alum
April 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM
They do have the alamo dome going for them. Don't really know what else though, big city.

BearsCountry
April 10th, 2007, 01:12 AM
They have the Alamodome and the city size, the rest of their athletic department wouldnt be attractive to any FBS conference.

RabidRabbit
April 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
No thanks...

I think that the Gateway/Dakota St. $500K buyout for 10 years is a good model for the SLC to hold UTSA in for membership. xrulesx xrulesx

Gets them 10 years together, allows UTSA to build their program, and assures that UTSA doesn't just use the SLC. Keeps them in the fold, and allows the rivalries developed in BB and Baseball to grow in FB.

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I think that the Gateway/Dakota St. $500K buyout for 10 years is a good model for the SLC to hold UTSA in for membership. xrulesx xrulesx

Gets them 10 years together, allows UTSA to build their program, and assures that UTSA doesn't just use the SLC. Keeps them in the fold, and allows the rivalries developed in BB and Baseball to grow in FB.

Problem is...UTSA is already a member of the conference. The xDSUs were trying to join in...

I can see UTSA balking at the deal if they were asked to do such a thing and I do not see the SLC in a position to make UTSA do that like the Gateway was for the XDSUs...

RabidRabbit
April 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Problem is...UTSA is already a member of the conference. The xDSUs were trying to join in...

I can see UTSA balking at the deal if they were asked to do such a thing and I do not see the SLC in a position to make UTSA do that like the Gateway was for the XDSUs...

OK, then since they're already members, how do you keep them OUT for football? Same is true for Lamar, UTAM-CC or any of the non-FB playing SLC members.

If you have the right to refuse them membership to the league, then you also have the right to impose penalties for leaving early, especially in a $$$ sport.

This is a sales job for the commissioner, because UTSA is basically stating that they will use the SLC as a stepping stone. xoopsx xoopsx xnonono2x xnonono2x

McTailGator
April 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Not particularly...

Which is the same reason I'm not thrilled with Lamar getting football. They need to get their act together at the FCS level if they want to go up to FBS instead of announcing a plan...

My thinking is Lamar needs a plan to go FBS in order for their fans to buy into FCS, considering their failed visit last time...

LAMAR will not do that...

There President is a McNeese Alum and he wanted them back in the SLC since he too the job. They are in the SLC to stay.

I say the Hell with UTSA, with LAMAR in our future in 2011, we will have 9 football schools giving us all 8 conference games and 3 non-conference games. That is perfect. One more and it is too many as most of us must play a big money game for financial assistance.

Now it is possible that TxSU might bolt in the next 5 years for FBS. If that happens, we open up a spot for TxAM-CC, who has stated their intention to field a team by 2012, and then we have UTA to consider.

No need to do UTSA any favors without a real commitment from them. Let them learn the hard way.

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
LAMAR will not do that...

There President is a McNeese Alum and he wanted them back in the SLC since he too the job. They are in the SLC to stay.

I say the Hell with UTSA, with LAMAR in our future in 2011, we will have 9 football schools giving us all 8 conference games and 3 non-conference games. That is perfect. One more and it is too many as most of us must play a big money game for financial assistance.

Now it is possible that TxSU might bolt in the next 5 years for FBS. If that happens, we open up a spot for TxAM-CC, who has stated their intention to field a team by 2012, and then we have UTA to consider.

No need to do UTSA any favors without a real commitment from them. Let them learn the hard way.

The Lamar fan base would not be happy with FCS...

It'll be great in a few years if they did end up FCS and couldn't get themselves out. They are completely under the impression that they are bigger and better than the Southland Conference...across the board, not just mens' basketball...

Fresno St. Alum
April 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Lamar, UTSA, and Texas St. may all want to leave but unless there is a conference split, the Sun Belt only has room for 1 more, that would put them at 14. You really think that 2 of the 3 would be happy floating as Indy's in FBS. I'd stay in the FCS if there is no home in the FBS. Temple is the only affiliate member in the FBS, so I think these 3 would need an all sports home.

GeauxColonels
April 10th, 2007, 09:16 PM

It'll be great in a few years if they did end up FCS and couldn't get themselves out. They are completely under the impression that they are bigger and better than the Southland Conference...across the board, not just mens' basketball...
Well, until any or all of them start dominating...I can't say that I see any leagues chomping at the bit to add them as members.

Fresno St. Alum
April 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I couldn't see why the Sun Belt would want FIU but they took them. They'll take one more eventually. UTSA location will be the reason if it's them.

GeauxColonels
April 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I couldn't see why the Sun Belt would want FIU but they took them. They'll take one more eventually. UTSA location will be the reason if it's them.
I think it was a good way to make sure FAU joined. This gave both of the schools a "travelling" partner as well as a natural "rival" within the conference. I guess you could say that about UTSA and North Texas maybe.

I'm curious about how much exposure UTSA sports actually get in the San Antonio market. Obviously the Spurs are going to dominate the sports page, but I would also expect to see the Dallas Cowboys, University of Texas and Texas A&M to get a LOT of coverage too. Is there any room left for UTSA in the market?

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2007, 10:27 PM

UTSA would go to C-USA...they're a more attractive program, the most attractive in the SLC for any school to take, especially if they get football...

FIU was to make things logical to bring FAU in...

Fresno St. Alum
April 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
UTSA would go to C-USA...they're a more attractive program, the most attractive in the SLC for any school to take, especially if they get football...

FIU was to make things logical to bring FAU in...

This is if there is an open spot in the C-USA? I still say La Tech would be the first to C-USA if there's an open spot. The move up latter usually holds true. Marshall, SoCon, MAC, C-USA. Nevada, Boise St., and Idaho, BSC, Big West(I-A at the time), WAC. UCF A-Sun/MAC, C-USA.

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2007, 07:09 AM
This is if there is an open spot in the C-USA? I still say La Tech would be the first to C-USA if there's an open spot. The move up latter usually holds true. Marshall, SoCon, MAC, C-USA. Nevada, Boise St., and Idaho, BSC, Big West(I-A at the time), WAC. UCF A-Sun/MAC, C-USA.

There will be room...C-USA will split. I don't see there not being room...

GeauxColonels
April 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
There will be room...C-USA will split. I don't see there not being room...
Just curious...and I know this is off topic...but what makes you see an inevitable split in CUSA?

MplsBison
April 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Memphis and Central Florida going to the Big East after the BE splits.

MylesKnight
April 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Where does this idea from Lamar that they are head and shoulders above the rest of the SLC come from? LU Cardinal Basketball was at the top of the ladder when, back in the '80's?

From afar, if anyone looks as if they may dominate this league in the future as this time, it may very well be TAMU-CC, especially if they get Football together in the next few years which I am assuming will happen.

And speaking of the SLC, I still don't understand the background on why the League is so against UT-Pan American for Membership.

Bear Fan 101
April 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm curious about how much exposure UTSA sports actually get in the San Antonio market. Obviously the Spurs are going to dominate the sports page, but I would also expect to see the Dallas Cowboys, University of Texas and Texas A&M to get a LOT of coverage too. Is there any room left for UTSA in the market?

when I was in San Antonio a couple of weeks back, while the Regional BB Final was going on, UCA had their baseball series with UTSA. There was no mention anywhere of the UTSA-UCA games until Sunday in the SA paper. There was a blurb on Texas St and maye Sam Houston's along with the inter-city matchup Incarnate Word-St Mary's. We asked the people in charge, and some of the fans/boosters in SA why they do not get coverage, and we were told that UTSA and the city do not have a good relationship, or at least a very good one. Now obviously, they do have some, because you just can't have that type of athletic dept. or university without some type of help from the area they are from, I dont care where you are. But all your assumptions are correct about who else gets covered in that city besides UTSA, at least in what I've what I've noticed on my two trips to UTSA this season for separate UCA-UTSA events. Is there are any room for them, or would there be if they added football? I'm sure they would get a little more press, but they sure get pushed aside very easily in their own town right now, kind of like we do to an extent with the Univ. of Arkansas.

Hopefully this made some sense...

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 05:12 PM
TT said a C-USA split not a BE split. I hope you're right about the SWC being reborn. I just wonder how far off it will be if it happens. UTSA would be in the new SWC part. I wonder who gets to keep the C-USA name the East teams or the West teams.

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Where does this idea from Lamar that they are head and shoulders above the rest of the SLC come from? LU Cardinal Basketball was at the top of the ladder when, back in the '80's?

This is from the Lamar fan base. They harp on those 'good ole days' all the time and are the 'basketball mecca' of the SLC based on their attendance which is 'oh so much better' than the rest of the SLC...

And speaking of the SLC, I still don't understand the background on why the League is so against UT-Pan American for Membership.

No reason to bring them in...

No football. Low financial commitment to athletics. Solid baseball program, but not much else there...

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Just curious...and I know this is off topic...but what makes you see an inevitable split in CUSA?

The eastern schools are not too happy with how things are going. East Carolina and Marshall are looking for a way out and Memphis, of course, is being brought down by the sub-par play of the C-USA in basketball and could attempt to move out...

DFW HOYA
April 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Memphis and Central Florida going to the Big East after the BE splits.

UConn and Syarcuse aren't interested in giving up the tradition of Madison Square Garden in March for a reformulated C-USA. No split in 2010.

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
UConn and Syarcuse aren't interested in giving up the tradition of Madison Square Garden in March for a reformulated C-USA. No split in 2010.

You really think that a 16-team league is viable over the long-run? A team that in the marque sport (Basketball), teams don't even play everyone?

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think 14 is pushing it and 12 is ideal

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
You really think that a 16-team league is viable over the long-run? A team that in the marque sport (Basketball), teams don't even play everyone?
I do believe that the days of 16 teams in the big east will be coming to an end in the near future... less than 5 years

MplsBison
April 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
UConn and Syarcuse aren't interested in giving up the tradition of Madison Square Garden in March for a reformulated C-USA.

Who said anything about UConn and Syracuse leaving the BE?

UConn, Syracuse, W Virg, Pitt, South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers will be the new football conference.

Maybe they'll take Gtown and Nova with them for a 12 team conference.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Who said anything about UConn and Syracuse leaving the BE?

UConn, Syracuse, W Virg, Pitt, South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers will be the new football conference.

Maybe they'll take Gtown and Nova with them for a 12 team conference.
that sounds all good and well but i dont see gtown and nova putting enough interest into football to make it work

McTailGator
April 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM

C-USA has rejected LaTech more than once because LaTech's budget is about half of the lowest budgeted football playig school in C-USA.

Tech won't be getting anymore money so look for them to end up in the SunBelch soon.

McTailGator
April 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM

From afar, if anyone looks as if they may dominate this league in the future as this time, it may very well be TAMU-CC, especially if they get Football together in the next few years which I am assuming will happen.

UT-Pan offers NOTHING to the SLC.

Plus, the SLC is determined to invite Football schools in , or schools that will Give football a try.

Tx-A&M-CC is expected to start Football in 2012.

MplsBison
April 12th, 2007, 11:24 AM
that sounds all good and well but i dont see gtown and nova putting enough interest into football to make it work

Nova might actually have a decent shot at FBS if they could pull a UConn.

Gtown, no chance in hell.

But they both make the men's bball tournament so often that they'd pay for themselves to be in the conference. Not to mention they bring the DC and Philly markets to the TV deals and they already have great bball rivalries with the rest of the football teams.

The football teams have no use for DePaul, Marquette, Saint Johns, Providence, and Seton Hall.

I also forgot about Notre Dame. They'd probably be invited as a non football member. So maybe drop Memphis from the conference since Cincy is closer to Louisville anyway.

DFW HOYA
April 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Nova might actually have a decent shot at FBS if they could pull a UConn.

Gtown, no chance in hell.

Gee, thanks for the support.

And how well do you know these two schools?

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
C-USA has rejected LaTech more than once because LaTech's budget is about half of the lowest budgeted football playig school in C-USA.

Tech won't be getting anymore money so look for them to end up in the SunBelch soon.
I think the WAC has wanted them to leave, but they refuse to take a step down and re-join the Sun Belt. Eventually if there is another split there will be lots of room for them. I'm there is only one opening then they may have to compete for the spot.

MplsBison
April 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Gee, thanks for the support.

And how well do you know these two schools?

You're going to go from zero scholarships to 85, including the additions in coaching salaries, and the massive increase in facilities, let alone the need for a new game day facilities (either renting JFK or FedEx or building a new one).

You got donors who are going to cough up the 400 million you'd need for that, assuming you'd go for scholarship endowments?

And U Maryland is already in your market.

GeauxColonels
April 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
The eastern schools are not too happy with how things are going. East Carolina and Marshall are looking for a way out and Memphis, of course, is being brought down by the sub-par play of the C-USA in basketball and could attempt to move out...
Well, that's 3 schools. Wouldn't that be more of an exodus (similar to the ACC/Big East/CUSA dominoes a few years back)?

GeauxColonels
April 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM
UT-Pan offers NOTHING to the SLC.

Plus, the SLC is determined to invite Football schools in , or schools that will Give football a try.

Tx-A&M-CC is expected to start Football in 2012.
And I couldn't agree more with this attitude. Let's face it, in the south, it's ALL about football. That's what a college league in the south needs to be. Therefore, it's most important to solidify the present AND future of football first.

DFW HOYA
April 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
You're going to go from zero scholarships to 85, including the additions in coaching salaries, and the massive increase in facilities, let alone the need for a new game day facilities (either renting JFK or FedEx or building a new one). You got donors who are going to cough up the 400 million you'd need for that, assuming you'd go for scholarship endowments? And U Maryland is already in your market.

Name me one school with a $400 million football endowment. There isn't any.

Here's the point--it's not that Georgetown will or will not pursue I-A, and given the financial health of the school, I wouldn't hold my breath. The issue is that when your own commissioner sends a message that you're not even welcome at the table, it's not a good sign.

And even if Georgetown did decide to make the I-A commitment you describe, then what? They'd have nowhere to go. (It also begs the question where would they go if they added just 63 scholarships.)

I-A really has only one home left for the up and comers, and it's filling up fast: the Sun Belt. When it gets to 12, that's about it. These leagues aren't looking for new talent.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well obviously they'd be in the Big East for football.

You'd need an 85 million endowment for 85 scholarships of 50k apiece.

Probably at least 15 million for a new on campus practice facility about what UConn just built.

Then you've still got major increases in coaching salaries and you've got to rent JFK or FedEx out.

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Name me one school with a $400 million football endowment. There isn't any.

Here's the point--it's not that Georgetown will or will not pursue I-A, and given the financial health of the school, I wouldn't hold my breath. The issue is that when your own commissioner sends a message that you're not even welcome at the table, it's not a good sign.

And even if Georgetown did decide to make the I-A commitment you describe, then what? They'd have nowhere to go. (It also begs the question where would they go if they added just 63 scholarships.)

I-A really has only one home left for the up and comers, and it's filling up fast: the Sun Belt. When it gets to 12, that's about it. These leagues aren't looking for new talent.
Georgetown would not need a 400 mil endowment that is insane but 100 would probably be needed to be competitive

McTailGator
April 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I think the WAC has wanted them to leave, but they refuse to take a step down and re-join the Sun Belt. Eventually if there is another split there will be lots of room for them. I'm there is only one opening then they may have to compete for the spot.

There are some rumors that the state board of regents might force them to go tot he Sun Belch by placing a requirement on them to control their travel costs in order to get addition state suplimental funding.

At that point they will have no choice to to go to the Belch.

Fresno St. Alum
April 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Interesting, we will see what happens.

Bear Fan 101
April 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
not that I have a dog in the hunt, but would the Sun Belch even take La Tech back at this point in time?...

Fresno St. Alum
April 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
in a second

McTailGator
April 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
in a second

Less than a second.

The Belch can't be picky...

Fresno St. Alum
April 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM
TT, did you hear this, 2 schools in San Antonio starting football around the same time. Hmmm

Football to start up at UIW

Web Posted: 04/16/2007 11:19 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn and Jerry Briggs
Express-News

University of the Incarnate Word president Louis Agnese will announce today the school is starting a football program, sources told the San Antonio Express-News on Monday.

UIW officials declined comment, but the school has scheduled a news conference for 2p.m. today at the McDermott Convocation Center.

New Orleans Saints owner and UIW booster Tom Benson will attend the news conference with his wife Gayle and several Saints players to help Agnese make the announcement.

Sources said Benson, whose business empire is headquartered in San Antonio, is donating money to get the program started. The plans, sources said, call for the school to kick off its first season as early as 2009.

Tentative plans also call for a facility with approximately 3,000 seats to be built on campus on the site of the soccer field, adjacent to the McDermott Center, sources said. Benson's name likely would be attached to the facility.

UIW athletic director Mark Papich and Saints officials declined comment. Agnese wasn't immediately available.

Benson's brother, San Antonio resident Larry Benson, said he hasn't heard about the announcement. But the reports didn't come as a surprise to him.

"He's given (money) to them in the past," Larry Benson said. "A lot of it has to do with his feelings for San Antonio. He thinks it's good for the school and good for San Antonio."

UIW is a member of the non-football playing, Division II Heartland Conference.

"It's public information that their athletic director and one of their vice presidents have visited with other conferences, particularly the Lone Star Conference," Heartland Conference commissioner Tony Stigliano said.

The LSC has 15 schools, with 13 football-playing members. Seven of those schools are in Texas.

Because of the LSC's Texas-based alignment of programs and its long history with football, Stigliano said he thinks it would be the "ideal" situation for UIW eventually.

"As far as the Heartland is concerned," he said, "we'll deal with it. They're still members of the Heartland, and we'll support them."

One possibility is UIW could play as a Division II independent initially because the LSC has no immediate expansion plans.

LSC commissioner Stan Wagnon said "if it's true," then he is excited about the prospect of UIW starting a program.

"I think it's good for Incarnate Word. It's good for Division II, and it's good for (football) in the state of Texas," he said.

Wagnon said the LSC hasn't talked with UIW since the spring of 2006. At the time, he said UIW officials told him that "for them to add football, they would need to be a member of the Lone Star Conference."

Ultimately, the LSC informed UIW that it wasn't ready to extend an invitation to any new members.

"From there," Wagnon said, "we heard that Incarnate Word was looking at adding the sport whether or not they had the invitation from the Lone Star."

Benson, a San Antonio auto magnate and banker with strong ties to the city and school, funded the faculty chair for banking and finance at UIW.

Accompanying Benson and his wife to the news conference will be Saints executive vice president Rita Benson LeBlanc; senior vice president/chief financial officer Dennis Lauscha and four players ? fullback Mike Karney, receiver Michael Lewis, defensive end Will Smith and offensive tackle Jon Stinchcomb.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Very interesting news about Incarnate Word...

Division II for Incarnate Word? Hmmm, this is something to follow...

NSUDemon98
April 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM

What did TxSt avg. prior to the 2005 season?

bobcatalum05
April 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM
What did TxSt avg. prior to the 2005 season?

2000 5-1 .833 74,503 12,417
2001 3-3 .500 64,044 10,674
2002 4-2 .667 58,651 9,775
2003 4-2 .667 63,046 10,508
2004 4-1 .800 55,819 11,164
2005 9-1 .900 128,751 12,875 3 Sellouts
2006 3-3 .500 77,314 12,886 1 Sellout

Fresno St. Alum
April 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM
TT, the boys on the LSC board were talking about you and would like you to get a D-II ID so they can get input from you.xrulesx

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM
TT, the boys on the LSC board were talking about you and would like you to get a D-II ID so they can get input from you.xrulesx

Saw that discussion...

I'm just going to lurk as far as the D2football board goes on. Those guys are always able to hop on to KatFans.com if they want to search me out on my 'home board'...though some can argue this is my 'home board'...xnodx

Fresno St. Alum
April 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I'll let them know.

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Back on the Incarnate Word front...

Is it me or is it sad that a program that just announced football this last week has a more maintained web site for their football program than schools that have had football forever (see UAPB)? Then again, those same schools can't cover their own teams appropriately.

UIW:
http://www.uiw.edu/athletics/football/index.htm

UAPB:
http://www.uapb.edu/athletics/

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Yup, usually the new school is all pumped up about it, but the school that have it should maintain their site

TexasTerror
December 26th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Football talk at UTSA makes Southland worry

Web Posted: 11/30/2006 09:31 PM CST

Jerry Briggs
Express-News Staff Writer

The proposed football program at UTSA already has stirred a discussion about the university's relationship and its future with the Southland Conference.

SLC commissioner Tom Burnett expressed concerns Thursday that UTSA eventually wants to split from the conference for another conference that sponsors Division I-A football.

If that is the case, Burnett said he doesn't know whether the SLC would welcome UTSA as a Division I-AA football member in its first season.

"I don't know what interest we would have in (a program) being in our conference a few years on their way to I-A," Burnett said.

Burnett's concerns surfaced a day after UTSA released a report by a national consulting firm that analyzed its ability to start a Division I football program.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA120106.07D.FBCutsa.2ca3b9b.html

Giving this thread a *bump* because some of it's entertaining to read now that UTSA has cleared some major hurdles and of course, Tom Burnett's remarks are being discussed around the boards, though now here's a link giving credibility to that discussion on the SLC's thoughts on the subject.

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
The SLC continues to think short-term and not recognize that UTSA could be a plus for the conference, even for a short while.

Who knows, maybe UTSA decides to stay in I-AA--for now, don't exclude UTSA on emotion rather than principle.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Had to give this post a bump.

It is interesting what has actually developed over the last few years and the direction the UTSA football program has gone on, now that they truly are a reality. Actually using some of the articles, quotes, etc in this post as a reference for an article on UTSA.

Retro
April 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
The SLC continues to think short-term and not recognize that UTSA could be a plus for the conference, even for a short while.

Who knows, maybe UTSA decides to stay in I-AA--for now, don't exclude UTSA on emotion rather than principle.

There is no plus to a current conference member in all sports screwing up everyone's football schedule just for a couple of years and then leaving a void. The SLC would love another member adding football be it them or Corpus, but not temporary. There is no benefit.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
The UTSA web site says they will play SLC football in 2012 (Lamar joins in 2011). I need to see if I can get verification that the SLC will have UTSA playing a conference schedule in 2012.

slycat
April 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The UTSA web site says they will play SLC football in 2012 (Lamar joins in 2011). I need to see if I can get verification that the SLC will have UTSA playing a conference schedule in 2012.

With two new teams joining SLC football does this mean that we will be seeing only 2 OOC games a year or not playing all conference teams every season.

If the common trend continues of playing one DII and one FBS team this means no more OOC FCS games. That just seems to be a shame. I don't see the schools giving up the money of FBS games so that leaves only one FCS OOC game.

If this is true the UTSA won't be moving up to FBS as soon as they hoped.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
The SLC will not play nine SLC games. It just will not happen. We'll see some other scheduling...I think we'll see divisional scheduling with each team in the divisions having one "rival game" yearly from the other (i.e NWST/SFA, McN/LU, Nich/TXST). The other four teams will rotate on/off the schedule so you play three teams each year besides that one - most likely on a two-year basis - so you have eight SLC games a year.

West
UTSA
SHSU
Lamar
SFA
TXST

East
Nicholls
McNeese
NWST
SLU
UCA

I have contacted the SLC re: UTSA and playing football in the league. We'll see what transpires. Will share in a forthcoming article.

centexguy
April 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think the SLC needs to decide what kind of conference it wants to be. Does it want to continue to let schools leave for so-called "better" conferences and bring in D1 newbies? How will it handle the spending gap between the Texas and Louisiana schools? UTSA, Texas State, Lamar (and possibly SHSU) are raising student fees to help fund football which will only widen the gap.

There's also been talk of UTSA, Texas State, SHSU and Lamar breaking away to a new FBS conference. If they take 2 others with them (maybe basketball-only schools) they'll probably keep their basketball auto-bid. Would any WAC or Sunbelt schools join up with them because they'll need more schools for this new conference to work.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I think the SLC needs to decide what kind of conference it wants to be. Does it want to continue to let schools leave for so-called "better" conferences and bring in D1 newbies? How will it handle the spending gap between the Texas and Louisiana schools? UTSA, Texas State, Lamar (and possibly SHSU) are raising student fees to help fund football which will only widen the gap.

The spending gap between Texas and Louisiana is set to widen. The Texas schools just aren't feeling the higher education pinch that the schools in Louisiana are.

There are presently rumors of Nicholls cutting sports and I believe Southern has already said they will cut sports. The state of Louisiana does not put the $$$ into education (from K to college) and the state of Texas has cut their funding, but not at the alarming rate that the Pelican State has. Throw in the additional athletic funds through student fees and the gap continues to widen.

There's also been talk of UTSA, Texas State, SHSU and Lamar breaking away to a new FBS conference. If they take 2 others with them (maybe basketball-only schools) they'll probably keep their basketball auto-bid. Would any WAC or Sunbelt schools join up with them because they'll need more schools for this new conference to work.

An FBS conference with SLC schools? Not sure about that. The Sun Belt schools would not want to "come down" to the SLC FBS schools' level. They didn't want those schools to join the SLC from the Gulf Star in the 1980s and they all jumped ship.

It would be fun to keep the schools altogether regardless of what happens. I'm not a fan of FBS unless everyone has a seat at the table. The auto-bid for all championships, namely hoops is a huge deal.

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Still no answer from the SLC head of Media Relations re: UTSA on my initial attempt to get a response. I will try again here in the next few days.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Too bad the CUSA west schools would never consider SLC or SB schools.

A nice little FBS regional conference of SL and SB schools could be:

UTSA
Lamar
Texas St.
SHSU
North Texas
ULM
ULL
Arkansas St.

Or something more radical with the CUSA shift (there have been constant rumblings of the west schools wanting to free themselves from the east):

CUSA:
Memphis
Tulsa
Houston
UTEP
Tulane
Rice
Southern Methodist
Southern Miss
* LA Tech

Sunbelt:
Western Kentucky
Troy
South Alabama
Middle Tennessee State
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
* UAB
* UCF
* Marshall
* East Carolina

New Conference:
UTSA
Lamar
Texas St.
SHSU
North Texas
ULM
ULL
Arkansas St.

Alas, we'll likely never see a new conference formed. And with FBS in it's current state as a BCs monopoly, it's a good thing for the fans and students of the southlnd football schools tht have discussed upgrades.

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
The SLC informed me that UTSA has not requested inclusion on SLC football schedules at this point. The schedules are set through 2011, so the opportunity to be added in 2012 exists still.