PDA

View Full Version : Swogger and the Offense is clicking.

Ronbo
November 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
At just the right time. Josh and the receivers have had some trouble getting the offense down and the loss of Lex has caused some shuffling at RB. It's been who is starting at running back this week? Here's the highlights of the game between Montana and McNeese State. A game in which the offense (514 yards) and the defense (223 yards) were both clicking.:)

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2006_2007/Football/Multimedia/vs_McNeese_S/um-mcneese-2006.wmv

msupokes1
November 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I am not to sure that the offense was clicking as much as it was the defense they were playing was just bad. McNeese had alot of missed tackles (the first touchdown of the game).

cu@wgs
November 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Agreed missed tackles. The Griz did do one thing and that was incorporate a few more Offensive people into the scheme. Its becoming a more complete package which I think is really helping JS get in sync.

CopperCat
November 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Swogger and the Offense is clicking.

Huh?

mtgrizfan4life
November 30th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I am not to sure that the offense was clicking as much as it was the defense they were playing was just bad. McNeese had alot of missed tackles (the first touchdown of the game).

Take that play out and we are still over 400 yards. That is still a very productive play. Most teams are considered productive putting up over 350 yards. The elite offenses consistently put up over 400 yards, with an occasional effort over 500, maybe 600 once or twice a year.

My point being, McNeese outcome was more due to good offense than bad defense. We finally executed and had good play calling to execute!!! Anyone not familar with this year's GRIZ, feel free to visit EGRIZ.com and read all the bitching, whining, and complaining regarding our offense. GRIZnation was finally happy for once, with next to no bitching about the offense. That alone is a huge statement at EGRIZ!!! Yes we are spoiled in Missoula regarding our team.

CopperCat
November 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Take that play out and we are still over 400 yards. That is still a very productive play. Most teams are considered productive putting up over 350 yards. The elite offenses consistently put up over 400 yards, with an occasional effort over 500, maybe 600 once or twice a year.

My point being, McNeese outcome was more due to good offense than bad defense. We finally executed and had good play calling to execute!!! Anyone not familar with this year's GRIZ, feel free to visit EGRIZ.com and read all the bitching, whining, and complaining regarding our offense. GRIZnation was finally happy for once, with next to no bitching about the offense. That alone is a huge statement at EGRIZ!!! Yes we are spoiled in Missoula regarding our team.

But consistency is something Swogger and the offense still don't really have. To have a thread that says "Swogger and offense are clicking" is a little hasty I think (I'm not pointing fingers, b/c MSU is the same way).

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2006, 06:34 PM
At just the right time. Josh and the receivers have had some trouble getting the offense down and the loss of Lex has caused some shuffling at RB. It's been who is starting at running back this week? Here's the highlights of the game between Montana and McNeese State. A game in which the offense (514 yards) and the defense (223 yards) were both clicking.:)

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2006_2007/Football/Multimedia/vs_McNeese_S/um-mcneese-2006.wmv

On the offensive side, they were playing a weak defense. Look...believe me...I wish it wasn't the case...but it was. Way back pre season some fans on McNeese boards were talking about how good the McNeese offense looked in scrimmages and such and I was asking about the defense. As soon as the season started it became apparent that the defense was weak.

I think Montana's a very good team with a very good defense and a realistic shot at getting the program's third national title...but if I were you I wouldn't get too excited about the offensive performance against McNeese.

elkmcc
November 30th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I think Montana's a very good team with a very good defense and a realistic shot at getting the program's third national title...but if I were you I wouldn't get too excited about the offensive performance against McNeese.

If you weren't knocking your own team I would try to argue this with you.:confused: As we all know McNeese is the Southland Conference Champion. They can't be too bad. :thumbsup:

I would however say that the Cowboys offensive really didn't look that bad against a saltier than normal Griz D. I did feel the Wa/Griz environment got to the McCowboys more than I expected it would.

Peems
November 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
i know i know, i shouldnt be so picky but the title of the thread should read "Swogger and the Offense are clicking."

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Will be interesting to see if they can continue this week. Coming into the season I thought the offense would be unstoppable. After Lex's injury I still thought they'd be dominate, but besides some moments here and there I haven't been too impressed. If they are clicking on all cylinders, now is the right time.

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM

I'm sure you guys know that Josh is the pride of Youngstown Ursuline High School. Sure would like to meet up with him again.

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 12:09 PM
I'm sure you guys know that Josh is the pride of Youngstown Ursuline High School. Sure would like to meet up with him again.

Hannon (local Ytown TV sports director) had a phone interview this week on his show with Josh and Josh said he would like a YSU-Griz matchup

Tod
December 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
i know i know, i shouldnt be so picky but the title of the thread should read "Swogger and the Offense are clicking."

No, the title should be "Swogger and the Offense WILL BE clicking". :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumbsup:

Grizo406
December 1st, 2006, 08:42 PM
Will be interesting to see if they can continue this week. Coming into the season I thought the offense would be unstoppable. After Lex's injury I still thought they'd be dominate, but besides some moments here and there I haven't been too impressed. If they are clicking on all cylinders, now is the right time.

Not a lot of folks have been impressed, Rob.

Lex's injury hurt us REAL bad, but the Griz have still found a way to win games. Sure, we won a lot of 'em ugly, but we are still playing. That tells me that "someone" knows how to get the Griz cylinders clicking.

Hopefully, they'll continue to click for the next three weeks.

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
If you weren't knocking your own team I would try to argue this with you.:confused: As we all know McNeese is the Southland Conference Champion. They can't be too bad. :thumbsup:

I would however say that the Cowboys offensive really didn't look that bad against a saltier than normal Griz D. I did feel the Wa/Griz environment got to the McCowboys more than I expected it would.

I thought the McNeese offense did well except that it disrupted itself a lot with false starts and bad quarterback/center exchanges. I think that as long as the game was reasonably close and it could stay in its comfort zone it moved the ball pretty well and had a chance to do better without the aforementioned miscues...which might be overcome against a weak defense but not against a strong one. I think that in the second half the Cowboys got behind enough so that the offense couldn't stay in its comfort zone and that hurt it some.

The defense though...it's not just me...it's something anyone would've noticed by looking at the I-AA defensive stats. A team doesn't come to be ranked 86th among 116 I-AA teams in rushing defense, as McNeese was going into that game, for nothing. A soft run defense is a serious weakness for a team going into the playoffs. It can be overcome if a team's strong enough in other areas. UMass was like that in 1998. But it's a real problem.