PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS Teams Will Beat FBS Opponents

Chaos Index
September 3rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
A friend talked me into putting this in writing, so here it is.

These are ranked in order of how ugly they'd be, not how likely they are to happen.

1. Iowa vs. Illinois State. See the pre-season Chaos rankings, and don't be surprised if things get ugly quickly in Iowa City.

2. Connecticut vs. Villanova. 'Nova will be favored in this one, won't they?

3. Kansas vs. South Dakota State. In these parts, it'll be considered an upset if the Jayhawks pull off the win.

4. Texas Tech vs. Sam Houston State. In baseball, K is shorthand for strikeout. Kliff Kingsbury is dangerously close to striking out in Lubbock, and the Bearcats were FCS semifinalists last year.

5. Pitt vs. Youngstown State. Blah blah blah, Bo Pellini. Blah blah blah 2012. People will talk. It ain't happenin' again y'all, but if it does….

6. Iowa State vs. Northern Iowa. Would it even be an upset if UNI dusts the cyclones? They're a traditional FCS power, and they're the only team to beat four-time champs North Dakota State in the last four years.

The rest of The Chaos Index can be found here (https://chaosindex.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/bonus-chaos-fbs-teams-that-could-lose-to-fcs-schools-this-year/).

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 03:25 PM
Tonight, Villanova will beat UConn and UNH will eviscerate San Jose State. Those are the only two happening tonight.

Nova09
September 3rd, 2015, 03:30 PM

These are ranked in order of how ugly they'd be, not how likely they are to happen.

1. Iowa vs. Illinois State. See the pre-season Chaos rankings, and don't be surprised if things get ugly quickly in Iowa City.

3. Kansas vs. South Dakota State. In these parts, it'll be considered an upset if the Jayhawks pull off the win.

4. Texas Tech vs. Sam Houston State. In baseball, K is shorthand for strikeout. Kliff Kingsbury is dangerously close to striking out in Lubbock, and the Bearcats were FCS semifinalists last year.

5. Pitt vs. Youngstown State. Blah blah blah, Bo Pellini. Blah blah blah 2012. People will talk. It ain't happenin' again y'all, but if it does….

6. Iowa State vs. Northern Iowa. Would it even be an upset if UNI dusts the cyclones? They're a traditional FCS power, and they're the only team to beat four-time champs North Dakota State in the last four years.

The rest of The Chaos Index can be found here (https://chaosindex.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/bonus-chaos-fbs-teams-that-could-lose-to-fcs-schools-this-year/).

I'm not clicking your link bc spamdicks have been whippin 'round these parts.

You seem like a knowledgeable poster, but a guy just never wants to be caught by surprise with spamdick on his hands, y'know?

Seawolf97
September 3rd, 2015, 03:38 PM
We visit Toledo and hope fully stay within 10 points . Prediction Toledo 42 SBU 14 too much depth and talent .

DoWe
September 3rd, 2015, 03:38 PM
Not spam in the sense there are no ads on the website he is linking.

IBleedYellow
September 3rd, 2015, 03:47 PM

Incorrect.

Northern Iowa,
Youngstown State,
Indiana State,
Montana.

Sammy94
September 3rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Since we are correcting...

Bearkats were FCS semifinalists last year.

RootinFerDukes
September 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM
Thursday - Villanova should beat UConn, but nothing's guaranteed. UNH could but I don't believe will beat SJSU.
Friday - Fordham could beat Army, but I think they won't.
Saturday - SDSU could beat Kansas. I don't think they will.
Illinois State will give Iowa trouble, but not win.
Youngstown will challenge Pitt, but lose.
Sam Houston could beat TT, but not likely.
Gardner-Webb could beat South Alabama. I really don't know.
UNI will challenge Iowa State. Potential upset of a bad Big 12 team.

That's it. All other FCS teams will lose their FBS games this week.

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2015, 04:11 PM
Lock - Villanova
Quite possible - UNI, UNH
Could do it, but don't bet money - Illinois State, Sam Houston, SDSU

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 04:22 PM
One I keep looking at is Southern Illinois @ Indiana. But the MVFC folks keep saying that Salukis are not up to the challenge. Indiana is one bad team. If SIU is halfway decent (and I think they are) they got a real shot.

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2015, 04:26 PM
One I keep looking at is Southern Illinois @ Indiana. But the MVFC folks keep saying that Salukis are not up to the challenge. Indiana is one bad team. If SIU is halfway decent (and I think they are) they got a real shot.

I kinda feel the same way about our game next weekend against Illinois. We're not quite top-25 worthy yet, but Illinois is such a s#!tshow right now (defense in shambles, HC just got fired, etc.) that I think we've got a fair chance.

Chaos Index
September 3rd, 2015, 04:57 PM
Funny - and I don't blame you, though...aw hell, I'm not making a joke about my unit, y'know?

You seem like a knowledgeable poster, but a guy just never wants to be caught by surprise with spamdick on his hands, y'know?

Chaos Index
September 3rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
No spam. I've written this stuff for the amusement of a handful of friends for a couple years, and someone talked me into creating the Wordpress page, and I'm wondering if anyone finds it interesting. Most of it will be FBS, but I thought this post would be appropriate here.

Not spam in the sense there are no ads on the website he is linking.

UNHWildcat18
September 3rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
I love the enthusiasm, I think UNH would have beat SJSU last year by 10-17 points but we have a lot of question marks, I expect it to be a good game though.

Sitting Bull
September 3rd, 2015, 06:30 PM
Stony Brook 7, Toledo 0 middle of the 1st

Seawolf97
September 3rd, 2015, 08:48 PM
Game held up due to lightening delays. Presently Stonybrook leads 7-3 with 14:51 in the 2nd half. Our defense looks great and we were mixing it up with our passing. Hopefully the teams get back on the field soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 09:27 PM
Pretty dissapointed in Nova.

Sitting Bull
September 4th, 2015, 05:54 AM
None that I can see on the first night.

Closest was Southern Utah falling late to Utah State, 12-9.

Villanova was competitive but lost at UConn, 20-15.

VMI kept Ball State of the MAC busy, rolling up 36 points though losing on the road, 48-36.

Stony Brook/Toledo was suspended/cancelled from weather.pp

Professor Chaos
September 4th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Wow, thought UNH would show better. Outgained 707-186... they're lucky the score wasn't more lopsided than it was.

Mattymc727
September 4th, 2015, 06:45 AM
UNH sounded absolutely dreadful last night. Just blown out in every phase from the beginning. We knew the offense would struggle, but the defense took 10 steps back from last year against Illinois State. Hard to know what that means just yet, but a bad feeling in everyones gut at the moment... Lets see how the Cats play against Colgate.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2015, 07:07 AM
UCF lost to FIU. I definitely think Furman has a chance up there in two weeks.

ccd494
September 4th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Tonight, Villanova will beat UConn and UNH will eviscerate San Jose State. Those are the only two happening tonight.

Good analysis on UNH-SJSU. I guess SJSU was right that game wouldn't be worth paying someone to broadcast.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Not a single Fcs/fbs upset last night.
Villanova's loss was disappointing because it was the most likely. I knew unh didn't have a chance to beat a middle of the pack mwc team, but it seems like I was the only person on the internet realizing that. I didn't expect them to get blown out though.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Good analysis on UNH-SJSU. I guess SJSU was right that game wouldn't be worth paying someone to broadcast.

Man, you are one unh hater up there in Maine. I have much hate for the va teams in the CAA and fbs though. I wish many bad losses on them.

ccd494
September 4th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Man, you are one unh hater up there in Maine. I have much hate for the va teams in the CAA and fbs though. I wish many bad losses on them.

No my issue was with LFN's week long whine session about the Mountain West's webcast policies.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2015, 07:30 AM
No my issue was with LFN's week long whine session about the Mountain West's webcast policies.

You have to admit though. That is pretty pathetic. I bet there's a NAIA school that can broadcast a game in 2015.

ccd494
September 4th, 2015, 08:09 AM
You have to admit though. That is pretty pathetic. I bet there's a NAIA school that can broadcast a game in 2015.

It's a Mountain West rule. LFN decided it meant SJSU was bush league.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2015, 09:55 AM
It's a Mountain West rule. LFN decided it meant SJSU was bush league.

It is bush league.

Sycamore62
September 4th, 2015, 10:57 AM
I kinda feel the same way about our game next weekend against Illinois. We're not quite top-25 worthy yet, but Illinois is such a s#!tshow right now (defense in shambles, HC just got fired, etc.) that I think we've got a fair chance.

after thursday, I kind of think this might happen. they were terrible and then a s*** hurricane blew threw town.

smallcollegefbfan
September 4th, 2015, 10:58 AM

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I would have said something had I read this post before those games. I did not peak at this thread until today. I would have said Villanova will be close but won't win and I will admit I'm surprised UNH got killed but would have predicted SJSU. UCONN is getting better and SJSU has some decent SR and JR talent.

There won't be many FCS upsets over FBS this year. I'll say less than 7.

smallcollegefbfan
September 4th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Pretty dissapointed in Nova.

It was close but no reason to be disappointed. UCONN is going to be better. The only reason I thought the game would even be close is because Nova has a very good QB and UCONN still doesn't have 85 FBS talent scholarship players yet. They are very low because of the coaching change when several players left.

ccd494
September 4th, 2015, 01:02 PM
It is bush league.

It's a business decision. Agree with it, disagree with it, but the ability of UNH fans to watch the game is not of SJSU's or the MW's concern. They are capable of streaming games, they have streamed games in the past, it's not like they are incapable.

Mike296
September 4th, 2015, 02:08 PM
One game that catches my eye is EWU vs Oregon. I don't think EWU can pull an App State with this but I think they'll at least give the Ducks a run for their money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod
September 4th, 2015, 02:18 PM
One game that catches my eye is EWU vs Oregon. I don't think EWU can pull an App State with this but I think they'll at least give the Ducks a run for their money

No.

eiu1999
September 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I had brief hope of an EIU over Northwestern upset before last nights nightmare at WIU.

tomq04
September 4th, 2015, 03:11 PM

If they do, I'm trying to plan what to do to one up the "tearing out of the goal post and planting it in the presidents front lawn".

Any suggestions?

Chaos Index
September 4th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Tear out the President's front lawn and plant it on top of the red turf?

If they do, I'm trying to plan what to do to one up the "tearing out of the goal post and planting it in the presidents front lawn".

Any suggestions?

Chaos Index
September 4th, 2015, 03:34 PM
UConn's offense is so unbelievably bad that I thought there was no way they could keep up with Nova. On the other hand, even though UConn's been talking about how great their defense is, I didn't think it was anywhere near good enough to win that game.

I stand corrected.

It was close but no reason to be disappointed. UCONN is going to be better. The only reason I thought the game would even be close is because Nova has a very good QB and UCONN still doesn't have 85 FBS talent scholarship players yet. They are very low because of the coaching change when several players left.

tomq04
September 4th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Tear out the President's front lawn and plant it on top of the red turf?

lol out loud.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Keep an eye on UCF and Furman in two weeks. UCF was just upset at home by Florida International last night.

tomq04
September 4th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Keep an eye on UCF and Furman in two weeks. UCF was just upset at home by Florida International last night.

How much of an upset is that?

Daytripper
September 4th, 2015, 04:11 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/IKas2uLnDGO9a/200.gif

GoAgs72
September 4th, 2015, 04:11 PM
UC Davis lost to FBS Nevada-Reno 31 -17 but the stats were pretty close for both teams. Our QB got 68% completed passes with no INT's. The big difference on offense was dropped passes that were right on the mark to Aggie receivers. The RB's looked pretty decent too. Our defense needs a little work.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Yea......Ga State......yea. WOW

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2015, 05:07 PM
LOL at Georgia State....losing 23-6 to Charlotte at home. Thankfully there's likely only 1,500 or so sets of eyeballs to witness the debacle....

smilo
September 4th, 2015, 06:10 PM
LOL at Georgia State....losing 23-6 to Charlotte at home. Thankfully there's likely only 1,500 or so sets of eyeballs to witness the debacle....

That crowd? Looked more like 500, but you're probably right. That was pathetic either way.

Guaranteed win for Liberty. The only question is if GAST beats NMSU.

ST_Lawson
September 4th, 2015, 07:00 PM
That crowd? Looked more like 500, but you're probably right. That was pathetic either way.

Guaranteed win for Liberty. The only question is if GAST beats NMSU.

Well...reported attendance was 10,252. I didn't see the game, but sounds like that must have been # of sold tickets, not # of butts in seats.

Sitting Bull
September 4th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Fordham may be the first, leading Army 27-21 in the 3rd.

Refs though are starting to see some penalties - on Fordham.

Baldy
September 4th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Yea......Ga State......yea. WOW
If Liberty doesn't win by 3TD's, shut your program down.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Ga state beating Liberty would qualify as an upset.

The Yo Show
September 4th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Heres hoping for a penguin upset of Pitt tomorrow

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2015, 11:19 PM
SIU has a lot of question marks after graduating their best running back and tight end. Hopefully some new guys step up, but the opening game of the season is always the hardest to predict.

UNHWildcat18
September 5th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I know hindsight is 20/20 but I would have said something had I read this post before those games. I did not peak at this thread until today. I would have said Villanova will be close but won't win and I will admit I'm surprised UNH got killed but would have predicted SJSU. UCONN is getting better and SJSU has some decent SR and JR talent.

There won't be many FCS upsets over FBS this year. I'll say less than 7.

I agree, not many wins this year over FBS. SJSU had most of their entire team return, we are in a rebuilding year for the first time in 11 years.=we got pummeled.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Ga state beating Liberty would qualify as an upset.

When are we going to stop counting Georgia State as an FBS win?

ST_Lawson
September 5th, 2015, 07:58 AM
When are we going to stop counting Georgia State as an FBS win?

Had we started? xlolx

furpal87
September 6th, 2015, 12:31 AM
FCS got three today...ND over Wyoming, Port St over Wash St and SDST over Kansas. SIU just missed.

penguinpower
September 6th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Youngstown had Pitt on the ropes and couldn't finish it. Finally YSU looks legit to me. It has been many years since I've seen this. It is also confusing as to why they were not able to play with any resiliency under the previous coaching staff. I just don't understand. The team composition hasn't changed that much as far as talent. The penguins need to clean up special teams errors that were costly. They should have won that game. I think they will be a contender this year finally.

dgtw
September 6th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Had we started? xlolx

I don't count Jax State's win over them as one.

Fordham
September 6th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Very proud that Fordham got the first FBS scalp of the season!!

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Very proud that Fordham got the first FBS scalp of the season!!

The Rams have a fine program. There is no shame in losing to a great FCS school.

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2015, 10:29 AM
FCS got three today...ND over Wyoming, Port St over Wash St and SDST over Kansas. SIU just missed.
Yes, kudos to Skinny Dawgs for showing cujones to go for the W in the last seconds with 2 pt EP. Didn't make it, so lost by 1.

Jacks played well....first half. VERY HAPPY that they held off B-12 Kansas. Kansas will be well toward the bottom of the FBS listings this season. Good to finally catch an FBS in a bad situation.

Those two Big Sky over FBS were surprises. Wyoming is in the 2nd year of Bohl leadership. That Poke ship should be righting if Bohl's as good as shown at NDSU. Washington St.??? Aren't they picked to the bottom (except for Colo Buffs)?

JALMOND
September 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Washington St.??? Aren't they picked to the bottom (except for Colo Buffs)?

All the Pac-12 polls I've seen out here had Wazzu ahead of Oregon State for 5th in the Pac-12 North, just right behind Washington.

Daved
September 6th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Youngstown had Pitt on the ropes and couldn't finish it. Finally YSU looks legit to me. It has been many years since I've seen this. It is also confusing as to why they were not able to play with any resiliency under the previous coaching staff. I just don't understand. The team composition hasn't changed that much as far as talent. The penguins need to clean up special teams errors that were costly. They should have won that game. I think they will be a contender this year finally.Well if they had won I'm sure we would be reading a post from Clenz stating how terrible a team that Pitt is--they aren't really that good but they are a helluva lot better than lowly Iowa State who just pasted mighty UNI 31-7.