PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Carolina football in 2016

The Cats
September 3rd, 2015, 01:33 PM
I didn't get to see the announcement the other day about Coastal's move to the SB, so this question might have been answered there. sorry if it was, but I haven't seen the answer on any of the message boards.

Since CCU moves to the SB in all sports except football next season, will CCU football remain in the Big South for the 2016 season? or will they play in 2016 as an independent?

If they are independent, will the BS member honor their scheduled games with CCU? should they?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
It was not, but I can explain at least part of it. In 2016 they will begin their transition period to FBS, thus they will be ineligible for the FCS playoffs. Additionally they will need to have their stadium expanded in time for the 2016 season to accommodate 20,000 fans, which they will have to do rather quickly because they will need to have a rolling average of more than 15,000 fans to credibly call themselves a team that meets the minimum FBS requirements.

Whether the Big South elects to have a transitional member that is ineligible for the playoffs still a member of their conference in 2016, that's the membership's call. There are reasons they might want to do that, most notably if their autobid were in jeopardy, but also for the convenience of the remaining Big South members - it's a hassle to get games even for 2016 at this late date.

walliver
September 3rd, 2015, 02:08 PM
I have been looking around trying to find the answer.

I don't think the stadium will be an issue as long as it is finished for the 2017 season. I suspect that CCU will keep a lot of their BS games, even if they don't play as affiliates (They will actually be non-football members of the SBC next year). Most of their future conference mates have already finished their schedules for 2016 as have most P5 teams. CCU will not be attractive to most FCS teams looking for a play-off bid as CCU will have over 63 scholarships, but still count as FCS. I suspect their 2016 schedule will look much like it would have if they hadn't moved. It will be easier for remaining BS teams to keep their CCU games instead of finding last minute replacements.

Baldy
September 3rd, 2015, 02:08 PM
It was not, but I can explain at least part of it. In 2016 they will begin their transition period to FBS, thus they will be ineligible for the FCS playoffs. Additionally they will need to have their stadium expanded in time for the 2016 season to accommodate 20,000 fans, which they will have to do rather quickly because they will need to have a rolling average of more than 15,000 fans to credibly call themselves a team that meets the minimum FBS requirements.

Whether the Big South elects to have a transitional member that is ineligible for the playoffs still a member of their conference in 2016, that's the membership's call. There are reasons they might want to do that, most notably if their autobid were in jeopardy, but also for the convenience of the remaining Big South members - it's a hassle to get games even for 2016 at this late date.
Wrong.

2016 will be their first transitional year (FCS transitional season), but they do not have to average 15,000 fans, nor do they have to have the stadium completed by 2016. Believe me, we went through the same scenario in 2013...massive stadium renovations, blocked off and demolished sections of stands. Attendance was poor. 2017 will be their second transitional year (FBS transitional season). They will play a Sun Belt conference schedule and be eligible for the conference championship. Most, if not all, of the upgrades will have been completed, and then they can start counting attendance towards FBS requirements.

As far as what the Big South does in reference to scheduling and membership, I'm sure that is in their by-laws. However, I'm sure it is similar to what the SoCon did with us and App. In 2016 CCU will play a Big South schedule, but won't be eligible for the conference title (or the playoffs), but conference games against CCU will count towards records for the rest of the teams in the conference.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2015, 02:52 PM
similar to what the SoCon did with us and App.

So...this, then?... xasswhipx

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/2e/2e23720384a241447b4932385b259fde405bf1a1dc71bac300 299d3f2b3f5bde.jpg

:D

DoWe
September 3rd, 2015, 03:53 PM
FUBeAR made me laugh.

SCPALADIN
September 3rd, 2015, 04:11 PM
xlmaox

Baldy
September 3rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
So...this, then?... xasswhipx

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/2e/2e23720384a241447b4932385b259fde405bf1a1dc71bac300 299d3f2b3f5bde.jpg

Eh...we weren't eligible anyway.
It was worth it. We got the better deal. xthumbsupx

But it sure was sweet taking the baseball title as we slammed the door shut. xnodx

Oh, BTW I just remembered this. Ask your AD and Bobby Lamb why Mercer turned us down for a game. A nice little check for a 2 hour bus ride, plus it would have been fun playing another in state school. A good close road game for the Bear fans, too. xconfusedx

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
Oh, BTW I just remembered this. Ask your AD and Bobby Lamb why Mercer turned us down for a game. A nice little check for a 2 hour bus ride, plus it would have been fun playing another in state school. A good close road game for the Bear fans, too. xconfusedx

GaSou now paying GT & Auburn (avg <2 hrs bus trips) money for the right to host the Bears? Didn't think so.

citdog
September 3rd, 2015, 06:20 PM
GSU is in Atlanta.

Baldy
September 3rd, 2015, 06:42 PM
GaSou now paying GT & Auburn (avg <2 hrs bus trips) money for the right to host the Bears? Didn't think so.
Tech is only paying you $300K. We'll come close. Plus it would be a game you could have a better chance of winning...maybe. Lets set something up for 2018 or 2019. xthumbsupx

The Cats
September 4th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Back on point.... does anyone know who CCU will play next year? Will they still play a Big South schedule? or is each BS team free to schedule someone else in their place?

jmrepak
September 5th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Unless the Big South wants to pull a D--- move we will be playing our normal schedule which includes Big South teams and the last piece of our contract with Furman at home. Not sure what else is scheduled yet, but we have WIU at home so I would think that we will probably have a trip up there next year as well.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Unless the Big South wants to pull a D--- move we will be playing our normal schedule which includes Big South teams and the last piece of our contract with Furman at home. Not sure what else is scheduled yet, but we have WIU at home so I would think that we will probably have a trip up there next year as well.

If Georgia Southern and App's departure from the SoCon is any indicators, don't expect too many favors.

jmrepak
September 5th, 2015, 10:45 PM
I don't disagree but I don't think they're in a position to try to get rid of us next year. They only have 6 teams without us so if they cancel our games they would have to find 6 OOC games each. Than't's tough.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2015, 10:53 PM
I don't disagree but I don't think they're in a position to try to get rid of us next year. They only have 6 teams without us so if they cancel our games they would have to find 6 OOC games each. Than't's tough.

I see the logic in it. I'm just saying don't expect favors. The conference will do what is best for them. If that includes Coastal, then that's what they will do.

ST_Lawson
September 6th, 2015, 09:15 AM

The "return" game for CCU to come to Macomb was scheduled for September 16, 2017 actually. Not sure exactly how that will play out. CCU could buy out the game, depending on the terms of the contract...or, one thought that some of us had when discussing on our message board was that the contract could be revised, pay Western some money (probably no money changing hands in the original contract deal) and have the game moved to be down at your place again. Neither team has to look for a new opponent for that weekend, CCU can count it as their FCS game (assuming they'll be playing essentially an FBS schedule in '17), and Western has a solid OOC game against a tough opponent. It would actually make that year look a lot like this year in the non-conference schedule area:

2015 - vs Eastern IL, @U of Illinois, @Coastal Carolina, bye week, conference play
2017 - @Northwestern, vs OOC Team, @Coastal Carolina, bye week, conference play

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2015, 09:43 AM

My gut feel is that they will be Big South members, non-counters for championships. It seems like the most logical course of action.

The Cats
September 8th, 2015, 07:05 PM
I found this......

Nothing changes for the Chants this year, though. The football team, ranked No. 5 in the FCS national polls, will continue with its quest for an FCS national championship, and the school’s other athletic programs will continue competing as members of the Big South for one more season.

Effective July 1, 2016, all programs except for football will then become full-fledged members of the Sun Belt while the football program must complete the NCAA’s mandated two-year transition period before being eligible for bowl games. The Chants can begin playing a Sun Belt schedule in 2017 and can compete for a conference championship even though they won’t be eligible for the postseason until 2018.

The conference, which was established in 1976 and began sponsoring football in 2001, has tie-ins to four bowl games.

As for football scheduling in 2016, Coastal Carolina’s leadership is hoping it will be able to proceed with its slate as currently constructed, including the built-in dates with Big South foes.

“At this point, that’s the case,” athletic director Matt Hogue said.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article33178953.html

How may Big South teams will opt out of playing CCU in 2016 ?

walliver
September 9th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I found this......

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article33178953.html

How may Big South teams will opt out of playing CCU in 2016 ?

I suspect most of them will still play CCU in 2016. Getting OOC FCS games for the last half of the season when everyone else is playing a conference schedule will be very difficult. I can almost guarantee that teams hosting CCU in 2016 will play the games.

rokamortis
September 10th, 2015, 05:28 AM
One of the things that I've contended is that while Coastal leaving is inconvenient for the Big South, the schools / teams have no real incentive to try and replace us prematurely on their schedules or act in a negative manner. 1) In football for 2016 we will improve their ratings, 2) they will likely want to retain positive relationships as they still have a lot of other sports that they would want to schedule with us in the future as out of conference matches.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I suspect most of them will still play CCU in 2016. Getting OOC FCS games for the last half of the season when everyone else is playing a conference schedule will be very difficult. I can almost guarantee that teams hosting CCU in 2016 will play the games.

As far as I am aware, Furman is still heading down there. Furman has only ten games on the schedule after buying out Jacksonville State's home and home, so I imagine we are not terribly excited about blowing another hole in the 2016 slate.

FUBeAR
September 30th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Tech is only paying you $300K. We'll come close. Plus it would be a game you could have a better chance of winning...maybe. Lets set something up for 2018 or 2019. xthumbsupx

Sorry for the delayed response to this. I missed it when you posted and stumbled upon it this evening.

I was no math major, but I think I'd have a hard time buying something worth $300k if I told the seller I would 'come close' and then only came up with 58% of the price. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150915/PC20/150919536/1032/for-citadel-ex-rival-now-a-x2018-money-game-x2019 - Don't you?

Oh...and Auburn is paying the Bears $450k or 2.6X what GaSou paid El Cid...
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/contract_details_for_13_auburn.html...Not close...not at all.

I'm thinking the Bears will be able to find a good use for that extra $400k (incremental difference; both games).

So, as lovely as the good people were when I stopped off at the Statesboro exit off of I-16 on my way back to ATL from JAX last week (gas gauge was below "E"), I just have to believe that Mercer's Finance Dept., as well as Mercer's fans & players might prefer a trip to Atlanta and games vs. an ACC & SEC opponent over...hmmm, let's just call it, your 'very attractive alternative offer.' Bless your heart.

Baldy
October 1st, 2015, 05:08 PM
You're not very good at being condescending. xlolx

I was no math major, but I think I'd have a hard time buying something worth $300k if I told the seller I would 'come close' and then only came up with 58% of the price. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150915/PC20/150919536/1032/for-citadel-ex-rival-now-a-x2018-money-game-x2019 - Don't you?
Of course. I agree wholeheartedly. However, The Citadel didn't demand $300K, so that's a moot point.

Oh...and Auburn is paying the Bears $450k or 2.6X what GaSou paid El Cid...
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/contract_details_for_13_auburn.html...Not close...not at all.
...and Auburn is paying us $1.1M. Auburn can afford it, but that still doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

I'm thinking the Bears will be able to find a good use for that extra $400k (incremental difference; both games).

So, as lovely as the good people were when I stopped off at the Statesboro exit off of I-16 on my way back to ATL from JAX last week (gas gauge was below "E"), I just have to believe that Mercer's Finance Dept., as well as Mercer's fans & players might prefer a trip to Atlanta and games vs. an ACC & SEC opponent over...hmmm, let's just call it, your 'very attractive alternative offer.' Bless your heart.
Oh I'm sure Bobby and the boys will put that money to good use. Fledgling programs need all the money they can get.
Wofford has learned to balance their schedule between the paydays like Clemson, Baylor, and South Carolina, and the more "winable" FBS games like Ohio U, Idaho, and USF. The Terriers didn't go to Moscow, Idaho or Athens, Ohio looking for a paycheck. They wanted a FBS scalp. I'm sure Mercer will get there one day.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2015, 12:50 AM
You're not very good at being condescending. xlolx THANK YOU

Of course. I agree wholeheartedly. However, The Citadel didn't demand $300K, so that's a moot point. OK - SEEMED LIKE YOU WERE TRYING TO 'MAKE THE CASE' THAT THE FINANCIALS WERE COMPARABLE FOR MERCER TO PLAY GASOU AS THE GAMES I ORIGINALLY CITED VS. GATECH & AUBURN. I GUESS THAT CASE HAS BEEN DISMISSED.

...and Auburn is paying us $1.1M. Auburn can afford it, but that still doesn't have anything to do with the topic. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ALSO WIN 2 ALL EXPENSES UNPAID TRIPS TO MOSCOW, ID & LAS CRUCES, NM

Oh I'm sure Bobby and the boys will put that money to good use. F̶l̶e̶d̶g̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ALL programs need all the money they can get. [FIFY]
Wofford has learned to balance their schedule between the paydays like Clemson, Baylor, and South Carolina, and the more "winable" FBS games like Ohio U, Idaho, and USF. The Terriers didn't go to Moscow, Idaho or Athens, Ohio looking for a paycheck. They wanted a FBS scalp. I'm sure Mercer will get there one day. NAH...I HOPE MERCER NEVER PLAYS A NON-P5 SCHOOL, LIKE GASOU, UNLESS IT'S A 2 YEAR DEAL ON A HOME & HOME BASIS. APPARENTLY, I FALL INTO THE MIKE HOUSTON CAMP WITH THAT OPINION...

“If I’m the ones (sic) making the decisions, no,” [The Citadel Head Coach Mike] Houston said when asked if he’d schedule games like this one [@ GASOU] in the future. “You are playing an FBS program that has [I WOULD HAVE SAID "IS ALLOWED" - FUBeAR] more resources and scholarships than we have. And if you are playing those kinds of games, there needs to be financial restitution that matches that"

Responses above in Bold/ALL CAPS & Bold Italics

Baldy
October 2nd, 2015, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by Baldy http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2258986#post2258986) You're not very good at being condescending. xlolx THANK YOU

Of course. I agree wholeheartedly. However, The Citadel didn't demand $300K, so that's a moot point. OK - SEEMED LIKE YOU WERE TRYING TO 'MAKE THE CASE' THAT THE FINANCIALS WERE COMPARABLE FOR MERCER TO PLAY GASOU AS THE GAMES I ORIGINALLY CITED VS. GATECH & AUBURN. I GUESS THAT CASE HAS BEEN DISMISSED.

...and Auburn is paying us $1.1M. Auburn can afford it, but that still doesn't have anything to do with the topic. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ALSO WIN 2 ALL EXPENSES UNPAID TRIPS TO MOSCOW, ID & LAS CRUCES, NM

Oh I'm sure Bobby and the boys will put that money to good use. F̶l̶e̶d̶g̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ALL programs need all the money they can get. [FIFY]
Wofford has learned to balance their schedule between the paydays like Clemson, Baylor, and South Carolina, and the more "winable" FBS games like Ohio U, Idaho, and USF. The Terriers didn't go to Moscow, Idaho or Athens, Ohio looking for a paycheck. They wanted a FBS scalp. I'm sure Mercer will get there one day. NAH...I HOPE MERCER NEVER PLAYS A NON-P5 SCHOOL, LIKE GASOU, UNLESS IT'S A 2 YEAR DEAL ON A HOME & HOME BASIS. APPARENTLY, I FALL INTO THE MIKE HOUSTON CAMP WITH THAT OPINION...

“If I’m the ones (sic) making the decisions, no,” [The Citadel Head Coach Mike] Houston said when asked if he’d schedule games like this one [@ GASOU] in the future. “You are playing an FBS program that has [I WOULD HAVE SAID "IS ALLOWED" - FUBeAR] more resources and scholarships than we have. And if you are playing those kinds of games, there needs to be financial restitution that matches that"

Responses above in Bold/ALL CAPS & Bold Italics

I wasn't trying to make a financial case. More "winnable" games for FCS against FBS teams are at a lower premium than the so-called "bodybag" games. Auburn and Clemson are paying us 1.1 and 1.2 million respectively while Indiana is only paying us $800K, but Indiana is a much more winnable game.

The good thing...we don't have to go to Las Cruces or Moscow again for a long time (if ever), but we did get two conference wins out of it.

You and Mike Houston are in the vast minority. The last FBS team to travel to a FCS team was Idaho to Montana 20+ years ago, and I believe that was to continue and finish out a rivalry series that went back to Idaho's Big Sky days.
Five Star Stadium is an impressive facility. Can't wait to go see a game there, but if we played, where would your fans sit? :p

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2015, 09:13 AM
[/FONT][/I][/B]
I wasn't trying to make a financial case. More "winnable" games for FCS against FBS teams are at a lower premium than the so-called "bodybag" games. Auburn and Clemson are paying us 1.1 and 1.2 million respectively while Indiana is only paying us $800K, but Indiana is a much more winnable game. - I hear you, but I don't think that way. If I'm going to a gunfight and the NCAA will only allow me to bring a knife. I'd just as soon take on the BaddestA$$ with a gun I could find and cash a BigA$$ check; rather than some NobodyCaresAboutA$$ with a slightly smaller gun and a lot smaller check in the hopes that I might have a better chance of cutting him. I'd rather take my chances at cutting the BadA$$ and making Front Page News (+ the big check) instead of being on Page 4 with the rest of the Non-P5 teams.

The good thing...we don't have to go to Las Cruces or Moscow again for a long time (if ever), but we did get two conference wins out of it. - Don't understand why, but it's probably some Non-P5 news that I don't care about, so please don't explain. I'll take your word for it.

You and Mike Houston are in the vast minority. - You may be right. I haven't polled whatever universe you are referring to, but I believe there are a whole lot more FCS vs. P5 games every year than FCS vs. Non-P5, but I could be wrong about that. I just don't pay any attention to Non-P5 and if an FCS Team is playing one, I wouldn't really know if they were Sun Belt or Big Sky (no offense intended to the Big Sky) or what have you.

The last FBS team to travel to a FCS team was Idaho to Montana 20+ years ago, and I believe that was to continue and finish out a rivalry series that went back to Idaho's Big Sky days. - OK, so "Never" then...that works for me.

Five Star Stadium is an impressive facility. Can't wait to go see a game there, but if we played, where would your fans sit? :p - Perhaps you are unfamiliar with Mercer's ticketing program. I'm sure the many GaSou fans that would attend would find as many great seats as they could on the berm, since they won't be able to buy any reserved seats before they were sold out to Mercer Fans. Once the Fire Marshall shut the gates, the good news is that the lucky Iggle Fans will still be able to see the game through the wrought iron fence AND can continue to drink their 'likker' outside the stadium (provided they use opaque cups, of course) xlolx

Responses in BOLD italics above

AshevilleApp2
October 2nd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Nice hijack by Baldy and FUBeAR!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
The expansion of Brooks Stadium is a requirement to meet FBS football standards, as the school moves forward with its membership into the Sun Belt Conference. The process will expand the facility to 20,000 seats. School officials estimate the work will cost between $19 million and $25 million, but Vice President of Finances and Administration Stacie Bowie says it could cost more.

“The Brooks stadium sits on a pretty constrained footprint, so you got 544 going across the back, you’ve got the scoreboard across the ends. We need an architect to come in and tell us what we can do, how can we squeeze in the number of seats that we need, then we’ll find out what the costs are going to be,” said Bowie.

http://wbtw.com/2015/10/01/ccu-officials-say-new-stadium-could-cost-more-than-25-million/

Summary: Coastal Carolina BOT still has no idea what this whole Sun Belt adventure is going to cost. And this is just the stadium portion of the party. They don't even have an architect hired yet to tell them what they can and can't do.

Mattymc727
October 2nd, 2015, 10:42 AM
UNH is only adding about 8000 seats and the bill cost us 25M. Granted, most of the effort was for adding luxury booths, media booths, and viewing decks.

jmrepak
October 2nd, 2015, 12:22 PM
http://wbtw.com/2015/10/01/ccu-officials-say-new-stadium-could-cost-more-than-25-million/

Summary: Coastal Carolina BOT still has no idea what this whole Sun Belt adventure is going to cost. And this is just the stadium portion of the party. They don't even have an architect hired yet to tell them what they can and can't do.
Your summation is bogus. They have a pretty good idea of the budget outlined, but need an architect to design it within the existing constraints.

jmrepak
October 2nd, 2015, 12:26 PM
UNH is only adding about 8000 seats and the bill cost us 25M. Granted, most of the effort was for adding luxury booths, media booths, and viewing decks.
There is a big difference in construction labor cost in the Southeast. We are much cheaper due to non-union wages. We are looking to add 10-12 thousand seats in this round with a building for suites. $25 million is about right for that because most of the seating will be erector set similar to what already exists. Additionally, the stadium was designed for expansion so the pilings were already driven with that in mind on the visitors side.

citdog
October 2nd, 2015, 07:12 PM

That's because y'all have to pay a bunch of dudes in tracksuits zipped down to display their gold medallions, chest hair, and wife beater t-shirts to strut around saying fahgetaboutit and kissing each other on the both cheeks and other such acts of random yankeeness.

Beachdude
October 2nd, 2015, 07:53 PM
That's because y'all have to pay a bunch of dudes in tracksuits zipped down to display their gold medallions, chest hair, and wife beater t-shirts to strut around saying fahgetaboutit and kissing each other on the both cheeks and other such acts of random yankeeness.

But you missed the point. The yankees are working for us while we watch and sip sweet tea. Was all part of Gen. Lee's double secret long range plan.

jsnow84
October 2nd, 2015, 08:47 PM
Coming up with the money for the extra seats, won't be a problem. Putting butts in those seats will be the major problem. Don't see it happening.....................ever.

Baldy
October 3rd, 2015, 05:37 AM
Nice hijack by Baldy and FUBeAR!