PDA

View Full Version : 2016 FCS Kickoff

AmsterBison
September 2nd, 2015, 07:55 PM
Dom Izzo (Fargo's #1 TV sportsdude) reported that MVFC's commissioner said that ESPN is talking about a double-header for the 2016 FCS Kickoff. I guess it's pretty serious.

I think that's an awesome idea and would be much better than having a HS game be the lead-in.

So what are some potential games? I know Eastern Washington is coming to NDSU for the Bison season opener. Montana is going to UNI that same weekend. Those are two possibilities... but they are probably mutually exclusive. What other early season games look interesting?

Source: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/a-ratings-hit/

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2015, 08:06 PM
Dom Izzo (Fargo's #1 TV sportsdude) reported that MVFC's commissioner said that ESPN is talking about a double-header for the 2016 FCS Kickoff. I guess it's pretty serious.

I think that's an awesome idea and would be much better than having a HS game be the lead-in.

So what are some potential games? I know Eastern Washington is coming to NDSU for the Bison season opener. Montana is going to UNI that same weekend. Those are two possibilities... but they are probably mutually exclusive. What other early season games look interesting?

Source: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/a-ratings-hit/

I think I actually mentioned that they should do a double next year just because of those two games but it needs to start having some CAA involvement, SoCon involvement, etc.

IBleedYellow
September 2nd, 2015, 08:11 PM
I think I actually mentioned that they should do a double next year just because of those two games but it needs to start having some CAA involvement, SoCon involvement, etc.

I think the Big Sky/MVFC involvement is perfect!! :D

BisonFan02
September 2nd, 2015, 08:12 PM
I think the Big Sky/MVFC involvement is perfect!! :D

"Midwest" BIAS!!!!!!!! xlolx

RootinFerDukes
September 2nd, 2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah, not that UM and NDSU don't show well for the FCS by masking the typical fcs attendance turnouts and small high school stadiums.... give me a break. There are other conferences at the top of FCS other than the MVC and Big Sky. The CAA needs a team represented and no one is bigger than JMU or UD. The SoCon or OVC. Jacksonville State is a top choice.

If you want the fullest stadiums possible, JMU and Liberty should be next on the list. UD as well.

With that being said... JMU has nothing but CCSU and Morehead State ooc in the immediate FCS future. Liberty is the only "name" team on the east coast that isn't a member of the CAA.

FargoBison
September 2nd, 2015, 08:20 PM
The problem the CAA has is that their schools don't play marquee non-conference FCS-FCS games. JMU and UD need to step up to the plate.

IBleedYellow
September 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
I'm ready to get the Fargodome on ESPN. That'd be a fun time - doubt we'd get the same atmosphere as Wa-Griz, though.

AmsterBison

Agreed 100%. I don't think it'd be good to have two teams from the same conference hosting. Worse yet, the two opponents would be from the same conference. Not to mention that both games would be indoors.

Having a CAA v SoCon game would be ideal, but the CAA doesn't seem to want to schedule full-scholarship teams in the non-conference. Need somebody in the CAA to step up.

Personally, I'd like the FCS showcase to show a full, decent-sized stadium and an interesting matchup - not some 63-scholarship CAA team taking on a non-scholarship (other than Harvard.)

RootinFerDukes
The problem the CAA has is that their schools don't play marquee non-conference FCS-FCS games. JMU and UD need to step up to the plate.

Very true. Our current ooc games are a remnant of the Mickey Matthews era. He wanted to play easy teams for easy wins. Pad the win column come playoff time.
There's also the reality that there are few marquee teams remaining in Fcs on the east coast. Fcs is a mainly regional sport. They don't want to always schedule west or Midwest teams due to cost. All the good east coast Fcs teams are now in fbs conferences, for the most part... Or in the CAA.
Everett withers wants to increase the ooc quality. Only time will tell.

RootinFerDukes
September 2nd, 2015, 08:33 PM
I know the first two are ooc games, but is there an unwritten rule that says they have to be ooc games? Why not a week 1 conference game? A JMU vs UD UR or WM game would be much more attractive than any east coast Fcs non conference team.

Laker
September 2nd, 2015, 08:36 PM
The second game should be at night. That should bring in more viewers.

FargoBison
September 2nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
I know the first two are ooc games, but is there an unwritten rule that says they have to be ooc games? Why not a week 1 conference game? A JMU vs UD UR or WM game would be much more attractive than any east coast Fcs non conference team.

I don't think there are any unwritten rules, guessing the head coaches might not like the idea of playing a conference game that early though.

melloware13
September 2nd, 2015, 08:54 PM
A problem for UD hosting would be that it aligns with Freshman move-in day, so not all students will be on campus and there will be massive traffic in Newark.

JayJ79
September 2nd, 2015, 09:48 PM
I don't think there are any unwritten rules, guessing the head coaches might not like the idea of playing a conference game that early though.

NDSU played at UNI to open the 2010 season.
Didn't really like starting with a conference game, even though UNI did win that one.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2015, 10:10 PM
A problem for UD hosting would be that it aligns with Freshman move-in day, so not all students will be on campus and there will be massive traffic in Newark.

No different than Missoula and on top of that the Roots Festival (music fest downtown that brings in an alleged 30k) and so forth. I don't see how the other stuff is a big detriment really.

IBleedYellow
September 3rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
No different than Missoula and on top of that the Roots Festival (music fest downtown that brings in an alleged 30k) and so forth. I don't see how the other stuff is a big detriment really.
Was there really an extra 30k for that festival? Hot damn.

Grizalltheway
September 3rd, 2015, 10:25 AM

I was there Saturday night and it didn't seem like it to me...

IBleedYellow
September 3rd, 2015, 10:30 AM
I was there Saturday night and it didn't seem like it to me...
Thought the same on Friday.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2015, 11:19 AM

That was the claim as to what it brings in to town but I've never seen it be near that many in the downtown area. It does fill all the streets but that number is highly suspect to me as well. Regardless, it is a bunch of extra bodies on top of the students coming back and starting on Monday so I just don't think move in day should really be an impediment.

We need it at UD. We need a big f'n game on a big stage and we need that program with serious traction again.

Bisonator
September 3rd, 2015, 12:02 PM
Didn't really like starting with a conference game, even though UNI did win that one.

Technically we opened the 2010 season with Kansas but yeah that was a preseason game compared to UNI.xlolx

344Johnson
September 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM

See Below

Technically we opened the 2010 season with Kansas but yeah that was a preseason game compared to UNI.xlolx

I'm guessing Mohler still has nightmares of sack after sack after sack.