PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Moves to I-AA

Coyote Fan
November 30th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I will leave links to their message board a story related to USD and their announcement to go Divison 1 in athetics.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SD_USD_DIVISION_I_SDOL-?SITE=SDSIO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The decision to go D1 has more support from USD people then it did for SDSU when they moved but the landscape of NCAA athletics is changing as well. USD in in Vermillion, SD which is located in Southeast South Dakota about 5 miles north of the Missouri River and about 35 miles Northwest of Sioux City Iowa. They currently play basketball and football in the Dakota Dome and are currently in the Division 2 North Central Conference which is the same conference that Great West and Mid Con members South Dakota State and North Dakota State used to be in before moving to D1. For those that don't know the NCC is taking on mass casualties and will most likely will no longer exist after the 2007-08 academic year.

I look forward to discussing D1 Championship Series football in the future as USD makes it's transition into the deep waters of division 1.

bkrownd
November 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Question is...will UNO, UMD, Mankato, etc be tempted to follow?

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM

UNO is looking at DI or the MIAA in DII. UMD, MSUM etc probably will stay DII, with the NSIC possible.

89Hen
November 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I look forward to discussing D1 Championship Series football in the future as USD makes it's transition into the deep waters of division 1.
Great news and welcome! If your fans are anything like the SDSU and NDSU fans you will be a great addition here. :thumbsup:

NDSUFREAK
November 30th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Great to start playing you again!:hurray: (well if we schedule each other which I think will happen.)

Larz
November 30th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Just a friendly reminder, the Division indication is Division I or DI not D1. Maybe see ya on the schedule later.

lizrdgizrd
November 30th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Welcome to DI in general and the FCS in particular! :hurray:

MplsBison
November 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM

UNO is going to the DII MIAA

UMD, Mankato, and Saint Cloud are going to either the DII NSIC or the DII GLIAC.

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Another positive addition to the FCS.

Go Coyotes.

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Still need more schools out west amongst the FCS ranks...

Would definitely help scheduling... :)

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Nope!xcoffeex

sdgriz24
November 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Nope!xcoffeex

Word is UNO is looking into it,so they might.

igo4uni
November 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Tough sledding for them in my opinion.............there is only 1 college football program that people in Nebraska care about.:twocents: :twocents:

FuturePenguin
November 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Any guess on a conference yet?

BisBison
November 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Any guess on a conference yet?

if you ask our little "sue" friends from up north they are a sho-in for the Big Skyxidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

BelgradeBobcat
November 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I've glanced at all four Dakota school message boards recently. It seems there is a level of nastiness between them that really fascinates me. And the Dakotas have so many nice people.

It wouldn't surprise me if all four of them ended up in the Mid-Con/Gateway sooner or later.

I wish they were in the Big Sky, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen...we'll probably end up with Utah Valley State or something.

slycat
November 30th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Welcome.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Mr. C
November 30th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Do you think that maybe the Great West Conference has been talking to South Dakota and North Dakota about membership? That would help long term to stabilizing that conference.

UNCBears2010
December 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Congrats Coyotes! Just try to follow NDSU and SDSU's plan for the transition, not UNC's.:bang: :bang: :bang:

WYOBISONMAN
December 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM
I've glanced at all four Dakota school message boards recently. It seems there is a level of nastiness between them that really fascinates me. And the Dakotas have so many nice people.

It wouldn't surprise me if all four of them ended up in the Mid-Con/Gateway sooner or later.

I wish they were in the Big Sky, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen...we'll probably end up with Utah Valley State or something.

Nastiness?!?! Between us and UND?!?!!? xlolx

NDSUFREAK
December 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
Nastiness?!?! Between us and UND?!?!!? xlolx

Who could've thunk it?xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:
Not so much with SDSU because it doesn't feel right. For me at least.

Go Bison
December 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Personally, I think the nastiness got worse when NDSU and SDSU moved to DI. Before that it was a good rivarly and all but when the SUs moved up there was a lot more finger pointing and bad mouthing. Honestly, I don't know what more the SUs could have done. They wanted to move up and even waited for the UxD schools an extra year.

henfan
December 1st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Way to go, USD! Welcome. Your addition makes the CS stronger.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
Congrats USD. I'd also like to see UNO move up, but I agree that they won't because people in Nebraska are Huskers.

BelgradeBobcat
December 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Personally, I think the nastiness got worse when NDSU and SDSU moved to DI. Before that it was a good rivarly and all but when the SUs moved up there was a lot more finger pointing and bad mouthing. Honestly, I don't know what more the SUs could have done. They wanted to move up and even waited for the UxD schools an extra year.

I know all about rivals-having to deal with the griz up the road-we go at each other pretty hard. But when I read the Dakotas I see accusations of one school undermining the other. I haven't seen one post from any of the Dakotas saying they are looking forward to playing their rival again. Most of them say "we won't play them again ever"..."or not until 2014". I just find it fascinating. I wonder if the SU's will lobby for their counterparts to join the Mid-Con or will they torpedo their efforts at conference affiliation.

Of course I'm just reading fan's opinions. The powers that be at the schools may have a different take on all this.

AmsterBison
December 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hehe, Belegrade, Bison fans could write a book... however, I don't think Bison fans are going to torpedo anything because the administration doesn't play those kind of games.

UND's current President and former AD burnt a lot of bridges, but the former is going some day and the latter is already gone. Hopefully UND replaces their current President with somebody who has more charm than a rabid skunk (not that a rabid skunk wouldn't be a marked improvement) :)

AmsterBison
December 1st, 2006, 12:42 PM
I don't think Bison fans have the power to torpedo anything for UND and they really don't have anything against the U of South Dakota folks.

UND's current President and former AD burnt a lot of bridges, but the former is going some day and the latter is already gone. Hopefully UND replaces their current President with somebody who has more charm than a rabid skunk (not that a rabid skunk wouldn't be a marked improvement) :)

I think I can shed some light on the what probably seems like a baffling level of bitterness by NDSU folks... North Dakotans are pretty level-headed folks but if you behave badly shamelessly and have no overriding redeeming quality, folks go ballistic.

The best example I can think of is fictional: In the movie FARGO, a couple goes into the salesman's office and he tells them they have to get the undercoating. The folks, who undoubtedly were not hotheads in normal situations, go monkey nuts because he is shamelessly saying the exact opposite of what he told them earlier. It's exactly because North Dakotans are used to dealing with nice and honest people that when they are confronted with somebody that strikes them as slimey they are simultaneously shocked, appalled, embarrassed, and outraged. Another example is some of my relatives reacted to Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie... they'd actually get angry when she'd turn on the smarm - and that's a fictional character - it was like they were upset that people could even imagine other people behaving like that.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2006, 01:45 PM
Come on down to Boone and we will show what FCS football is all about.

MplsBison
December 1st, 2006, 02:56 PM

Your info is incorrect.

They've already stated their intentions to move to the MIAA.

MplsBison
December 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM

It's nothing worse than Montana Montana State or any state that has 2 flagships, for that matter.

I expect all 4 to be in the Mid Con in less than 5 years.

Not as sure on the Gateway (assuming NDSU/SDSU go there).

If NDSU/SDSU stay in the Great West, the UxDs could be joining them in as little as 2 years.

we'll probably end up with Utah Valley State or something.

Southern Utah seems far more likely. They're active and core (UVSC is neither) and they have football (UVSC doesn't).

bkrownd
December 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Tough sledding for them in my opinion.............there is only 1 college football program that people in Nebraska care about.:twocents: :twocents:

Not only that, but NU's athletic department in Lincoln might throw its weight around to prevent any in-state D-1 recruiting and walk-on competition from UNO.

BelgradeBobcat
December 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
It's nothing worse than Montana Montana State or any state that has 2 flagships, for that matter.

I expect all 4 to be in the Mid Con in less than 5 years.

Not as sure on the Gateway (assuming NDSU/SDSU go there).

If NDSU/SDSU stay in the Great West, the UxDs could be joining them in as little as 2 years.

Southern Utah seems far more likely. They're active and core (UVSC is neither) and they have football (UVSC doesn't).

The Cat-griz rivalry does get heated-but we usually leave the Presidents and Athletic Directors out of it. As mentioned-I'm sure NDSU and SDSU moving up had a lot to do with it.

I mentioned Utah Valley State somewhat sarcastically-although an odd number of teams makes basketball scheduling a nightmare so adding a non-football school to the Big Sky makes some sense.

slostang
December 1st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Welcome to CS football and I hope the GWFC.

MplsBison
December 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
I mentioned Utah Valley State somewhat sarcastically-although an odd number of teams makes basketball scheduling a nightmare so adding a non-football school to the Big Sky makes some sense.

Then again, SUU is core, UVSC is not even active.

SUU has football, UVSC doesn't.

UVSC is in the same market as Weber State, doesn't add any market.

SUU doesn't add much market, but they're not unreasonably far from Las Vegas, and, more importantly, they'd give NAU a reasonable travel partner.

Go Bison
December 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
I want to see the Bison and Sioux play again sometime. I'm sure it will happen but not until UND is counted as a DI opponent and the game will be in Fargo.