PDA

View Full Version : Question about a move to a 12 game schedule

LeopardFan04
November 30th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Random thought that popped into my head: If/when CS goes to a 12 game season (I believe this is being voted on in the offseason?), how would that affect at-large selection for the playoffs...since right now the minimum is 7 DI victories, would that be upped to 8? :confused: So you'd have to be 8-4 to be considered? (Assuming all DI games...) Just wondering how this would work if it happens...thanks...

YoUDeeMan
November 30th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Will the 12th game be mandatory?

If not, then I think some more 7-4 teams might make the field of 16. If the 12th game is mandatory, it will be an odd thing for the committee to justify taking any 7-5 team as an at-large candidate in a 16 team playoff.

Of course, money talks. If everyone loads up on I-A (Bowl Sub-division) teams, then we will hear crying from a 7-5 team with 4 I-A losses that they should be chosen for the playoffs. Ugh!

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Will the 12th game be mandatory?

The 11th game isn't mandatory. The Ivies are still at ten games and a team here and there doesn't get to 11.

LeopardFan04
November 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM
The 11th game isn't mandatory. The Ivies are still at ten games and a team here and there doesn't get to 11.

Good point...so is the thought then that most teams would stay at 11 games and this wouldn't make a difference anyway?

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Well, the 12th might not be mandatory, but an 8-4 record is damn sure gonna look better than a 7-4 record

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Well, the 12th might not be mandatory, but an 8-4 record is damn sure gonna look better than a 7-4 record

Unless that 8th win is over Azusza Pacific or Slippery Rock. :D

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Unless that 8th win is over Azusza Pacific or Slippery Rock. :D

I was going off what Leopard said "assuming all DI games"

BillLuc1982
November 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I wonder if playing Hawaii will merit a 13th game.

lizrdgizrd
November 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I wonder if this is a move aimed at increasing the size of conferences. This would allow a championship game for conferences like the A-10 where there would be no more question who really deserved the yearly auto-bid.

mcveyrl
November 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I thought about this too, but I don't think the championship game could be counted in the 12 games. Right now the BCS schools that have championship games play 12 before the game. I think championship games are considered "post-season" games. This is all guess work and somebody who's read the rules is welcome to correct me.

However, I've posted on here before that it would be nice if the A-10/CAA would leave the last week of the season "open" and schedule a championship weekend where the South 1 played the North 1, South 2 plays North 2, etc. They could avoid scheduling problems by giving the South teams homefield one year and the North teams homefield the next year, that way teams would know they have home games, just not who they were playing.

GannonFan
November 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM
There's no chance in Hades that the A10/CAA will ever have a championship game at the end of the year. Even if it wasn't considered a post-season game, there's just no incentive to do it. It would not be a money generator as attendance for it would surely be down versus normal attendance as you wouldn't know you are in it until 6 days before it happens. Heck, at least one team would need to travel so there's additional costs. As for the automatic qualifier, is that even a big deal? The A10/CAA will always get at least 2 teams into the playoffs so who goes with the AQ and who doesn't won't leave the team without the AQ out of the playoffs. And the AQ has no bearing whatsoever on seeding so it's really a non-issue. Plus, you throw the factor of just one more game, and a tough one at that, just prior to starting the playoffs and it's clear that such a game would never get off the drawing board.

mcveyrl
November 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I agree that it won't happen, but that doesn't stop me from dreamin'.

I don't know about the effect on attendance, though. I'm pretty sure if you're no. 6 in the A-10 South, you're not drawing a huge crowd anyway. And, if you are No. 1 in either division, you're going to draw big no matter who the opponent is. In fact, if you knew before the season that it was going to be a home game, I'm sure that most of the fans who showed up at the last home game would come no matter what.

Plus, one team's going to have to travel even if the game is scheduled. That's a given. The only variable would be distance and mode of transportation. In my scenario, teams would know they were traveling, just not where.

I don't care so much about the AQ as having a conference champion that's played the best team from the other division. For instance, this year I would've like to have seen if JMU could've beaten UMass. You're right, both the teams in the game probably get in to the playoffs no matter what but the point, for me anyway, would be to have a "true" conference champion. (Note: not taking away from UMass this year. They had the better record and are the true champions of the A-10, plus I lean towards them beating JMU if they played this year. These are just general statements not aimed at a particular year.)

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM
What's the point of a CAA Championship game when both division winners get bids to the playoffs?

mcveyrl
November 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
As I explained, unlike EVERY other league, we don't play everybody in our conference. We have two divisions. So, IMO, in order to have a league champion, the best teams from the two divisions should play each other. Maybe we're too caught up in the playoffs, but there is some value in being a conference champion. Do you think that if UMass lost in the playoffs they wouldn't put up a banner as the A-10 Champion?? At the same time, JMU is left to wonder if they could've beaten UMass. Same goes for UR and NHU last year (both 7-1, didn't play each other).

walliver
November 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Random thought that popped into my head: If/when CS goes to a 12 game season (I believe this is being voted on in the offseason?), how would that affect at-large selection for the playoffs...since right now the minimum is 7 DI victories, would that be upped to 8? :confused: So you'd have to be 8-4 to be considered? (Assuming all DI games...) Just wondering how this would work if it happens...thanks...

2002 and 2003 were 12 game seasons and there were no changes were made to the playoff rules. Of course, back then teams were judges by losses, not wins. I doubt the NCAA would increase the number of DI wins to qualify since many teams would not play a 12 game schedule.

For example, after Wofford went 9-3 in 2002 (and got wooffed), Mike Ayers only wanted to play 11 games in 2003 because he felt 12 games in a row was too much for the regular season. Some teams would play 12 games and others 11, so it would be best for the NCAA to leave the selection process up to the committee.

SactoHornetFan
November 30th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I hope they approve 12 so we can keep the Poly game. Right now on there is speculation we are dropping Poly for a game against New Mexico while we are already going to play Fresneck in 07 :bang:

For Christ sakes, Poly is a rivalry game for us as well (30 times, 15 wins apiece). Wanless don't mess up our rivalry against the real Mustangs :nono: