PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 8-31

JALMOND
August 31st, 2015, 10:59 PM
Well, the start of yet another football season and this is my 12th year of doing these power rankings for the Big Sky Conference. These years have fostered great discussion and dialogue, as well as expansion within the conference (also, I think I've been called biased towards every team in the conference at some point). This year is shaping up to be a great one, with really no clear cut favorite and possibly seven or eight teams thinking they can win the title. Here are this week's power rankings. As usual, all are my opinion only and all open for discussion.

1. Montana State Bobcats---Last week, n/a, this week, Fort Lewis (DII) at home---Great quarterback play has always shown to be essential to win in the conference and, with the defection of Adams to Oregon, the Bobcats have emerged as the top dog (for now).

2. Montana Grizzlies---Last week, beat North Dakota State 38-35, this week Cal Poly at home---The Grizzlies got a head start on the rest of the conference, beating the defending champions at home and showcasing their new look. Can it continue?

3. Eastern Washington Eagles---Last week, n/a, this week at Oregon (Pac-12)---The Eagles had national champion aspirations, then Adams left. However, there is still enough fire power and losing the star quarterback only brought the Eagles back to the pack.

4. Cal Poly Mustangs---Last week, n/a, this week at Montana---The Mustangs enter the year with good feelings about their chances, returning a sharp quarterback themselves. A good indication if they can stay near the top this weekend at Montana.

5. Idaho State Bengals---Last week, n/a, this week Black Hills State (DII) at home---One thing for sure this season with the Bengals is that they will not be able to sneak up on anyone this year. They're not looking to return to the bottom, they are looking at the top.

6. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---Last week, n/a, this week at Stephen F Austin (Southland)---The Lumberjacks may look like they can contend and they just might. But they've been down this road before and have come up short. Is this year different?

7. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---Last week, n/a, this week at Utah State (Mountain West)---The Thunderbirds come in to this year thinking they can get to the top as well, relying on an experienced defense. But relying on a defense against high powered offenses?

8. Sacramento State Hornets---Last week, n/a, this week Eastern Oregon (NAIA) at home---The Hornets as well are hoping they can make it to the top with some breaks along the way. They can't stumble like they did a couple years back against the NAIA, however.

9. North Dakota---Last week, n/a, this week at Wyoming (Mountain West)---UND has a stout defense coming back and will put their hopes on stopping the high powered offenses in the conference in order to ascend to the top ranks.

10. Weber State Wildcats---Last week, n/a, this week at Oregon State (Pac-12)---Maybe a little short on making a strong run, the Wildcats nevertheless will be in many games this season as they try to become relevant in the conference again.

11. UC-Davis Aggies---Last week, n/a, this week at Nevada (Mountain West)---The Aggies may not look like they have much, but they may have enough to surprise. If Idaho State could do it last year, someone could emerge this year, and why not it be the Aggies.

12. Portland State Vikings---Last week n/a, this week at Washington State (Pac-12)---As usual, the Vikings look strong on paper, but that has not been the case when they play the games. They could move up, they could be good, but they been saying that for awhile.

13. Northern Colorado Bears---Last week, n/a, this week Western State (DII) at home---Everyone else seems to have lofty aspirations this season, but it seems the Bears just want to be competitive. Sadly, their best chance for a win may be their first game.

RECAP: 1-3 basically a dead heat, 4-6 just behind, 7-9 close, 10-11 a bit behind, 12 off the pace, 13 out of it.

Bisonator
September 1st, 2015, 07:52 AM
What has MSU done to deserve the #1 spot? I know Prukop is a good QB but seriously they finished what 4th in the BSC last year? Why do they always seem overrated?

THE DANIMAL
September 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM
???????Until MSU proves they have even an "average" defense, I'll have to strongly disagree with your top 4.

veinup
September 1st, 2015, 09:32 AM
Do not agree with Bobcats at #1 right now.

F'N Hawks
September 1st, 2015, 09:50 AM
For me it is "until MSU proves they aren't soft along the lines", then they should not be #1. They beat up on the other soft teams in the Big Sky but get worked up front by any physical team they face. Their skill positions are good enough to beat most other teams skill positions, though.

mmiller_34
September 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM
Not sure how you justify ranking Montana State above Montana after Montana just beat the #1 team in the nation.

tomq04
September 1st, 2015, 10:28 AM
If you had written this last week I would agree.

At the moment.

1. Griz
2. Bobcats (until proven otherwise). Their main argument is that they have the a Payton Award front runner in Prokup.
3. EWU can regain top spot by playing Oregon, UNI and MSU tough.

Grizalltheway
September 1st, 2015, 10:29 AM
Yeah, MSU has done nothing to justify the #1 ranking...other than be ridiculously over-hyped, like most preseasons.

Daytripper
September 1st, 2015, 10:35 AM
1. Montana
2. Montana St.
3a. Cal Poly
3b. EWU

tomq04
September 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM
1. Montana
2. Montana St.
3a. Cal Poly
3b. EWU

That's surprisingly reasonable, both Cal Poly and EWU have a chance to knock off #1 or 2 in the first 3 weeks.

eiu1999
September 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM
A MSU alum?

tomq04
September 1st, 2015, 11:02 AM
Just looked at Cal Poly first 4 weeks...brutal.

Sat. 5 at Montana
Sat. 12 at Arizona State
Sat. 19 Northern Iowa
Sat. 26 at Montana State

Daytripper
September 1st, 2015, 11:09 AM

Sat. 5 at Montana
Sat. 12 at Arizona State
Sat. 19 Northern Iowa
Sat. 26 at Montana State

Ouch! If they come out of this 2-2, look out.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 1st, 2015, 11:26 AM

Sat. 5 at Montana
Sat. 12 at Arizona State
Sat. 19 Northern Iowa
Sat. 26 at Montana State

Extend that to their first six weeks and you add #22 Idaho State at home, and #6 Eastern on the road.

Silenoz
September 1st, 2015, 02:07 PM
2. Bobcats (until proven otherwise). Their main argument is that they have the a Payton Award winner in Prokup.

wut

2ram
September 1st, 2015, 02:20 PM
how are the griz not #1 given their win vs ndsu?

tomq04
September 1st, 2015, 04:52 PM
wut
Don't you think Prukop will dominate the Big Sky?

Silenoz
September 1st, 2015, 04:54 PM
I thought you were saying he won the award. And yeah, lots of QBs seem to dominate the (mostly optional) defenses in the league

tomq04
September 1st, 2015, 05:53 PM
I thought you were saying he won the award. And yeah, lots of QBs seem to dominate the (mostly optional) defenses in the league

Fixed my original post for clarity :)

bobcathpdevil56
September 1st, 2015, 06:32 PM
JALMOND is a Portland State fan, so no he is not an MSU alum.

I agree with most everyone who has commented, in that I think the Griz should be #1. I don't want to speak for J but I think not moving everyone, because just one team played was what he did. If the Griz can beat Cal Poly I think there will be no doubt that they should jump to #1.

JALMOND
September 1st, 2015, 08:41 PM
JALMOND is a Portland State fan, so no he is not an MSU alum.

I agree with most everyone who has commented, in that I think the Griz should be #1. I don't want to speak for J but I think not moving everyone, because just one team played was what he did. If the Griz can beat Cal Poly I think there will be no doubt that they should jump to #1.

Regarding the Grizzlies position, this is pretty close. If the Griz do not score the last second touchdown, would there have been justification to move them down, probably not. A great win, albeit at home, against the preseason #1 have put them on the map, but it is difficult to do these when 1 team plays and the rest do not. With the Griz playing a tough conference rival this week and the Bobcats playing DII, a win may be enough to move them to #1. Remains to be seen. If EWU plays Oregon close, it may not matter what the Cats and Griz do. If the Griz let the NDSU win go to their heads and come out flat against Poly, who knows.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2015, 08:51 PM
Prokup is the real deal. Part of the reason why Montana State failed to live up to expectations 2-4 years ago was due to McGhee's inability to take the next step. He showed some flashes of brilliance but was wildly inconsistent. He wasn't nearly the athlete, scrambler some thought. The WR's were also average at best in 2012-2013....

This should be a really good Bobcat team if they can fix the defense just a little bit. Montana deserves to be #1 but MSU will be there all season. Their schedule sets up pretty well....

SDFS
September 1st, 2015, 09:18 PM
RECAP: 1-3 basically a dead heat, 4-6 just behind, 7-9 close, 10-11 a bit behind, 12 off the pace, 13 out of it.

I would have 1-2 dead heat, 3-5 just behind, 6-9 close......

NOTE: I really like the MSU QB - I just wonder about his durability.

Grizalltheway
September 1st, 2015, 09:38 PM
Regarding the Grizzlies position, this is pretty close. If the Griz do not score the last second touchdown, would there have been justification to move them down, probably not. A great win, albeit at home, against the preseason #1 have put them on the map, but it is difficult to do these when 1 team plays and the rest do not. With the Griz playing a tough conference rival this week and the Bobcats playing DII, a win may be enough to move them to #1. Remains to be seen. If EWU plays Oregon close, it may not matter what the Cats and Griz do. If the Griz let the NDSU win go to their heads and come out flat against Poly, who knows.

Given everything Stitt has said in pressers since the game, I don't think there's anyway that happens. These guys were embarrassed by CP last year and I'm sure they'll be focused on exacting revenge.

Kabooom
September 1st, 2015, 11:17 PM
I always enjoy reading JALMOND's perspective regarding Big Sky Power Rankings.

I'll stick with his prognosis.

xdrunkyxSo Big Cheers to the Cats all the way up to November 21.

Upsets that time of year seem to have a bit more bite.

mvemjsunpx
September 2nd, 2015, 12:41 AM
Not sure how you justify ranking Montana State above Montana after Montana just beat the #1 team in the nation.

Because it's not November. The Bobcats are all world when it doesn't matter. xcoffeex

SUUTbird
September 2nd, 2015, 05:00 AM
Personally I would have the Griz ranked number 1 after their performance against NDSU, other than that the rankings look pretty good.

Bisonator
September 2nd, 2015, 09:09 AM

Again the problem is what has MSU done to deserve the #1 spot? Like I said they finished 4th in the BSC last year behind the Griz!

kalm
September 2nd, 2015, 09:40 AM
Again the problem is what has MSU done to deserve the #1 spot? Like I said they finished 4th in the BSC last year behind the Griz!

They were ranked ahead of the Griz going in and deservedly so. You could even make a case for the Griz being 3rd or 4th until last Saturday. Of course we don't know for sure yet how good that win will be.

THE DANIMAL
September 2nd, 2015, 09:41 AM

So your saying that because the Griz very well "could" have lost that game against NDSU that MSU is still the better team? Also the Cats are better despite the fact the Griz demolished the Cats last year? And despite the fact that the Cats D was horrible last year and their is no proof that they are any better this year? Either way I obviously don't agree with your rankings but I do appreciate the power rankings you do every year. Thanks JALMOND, it gives me something to do to pass time when it's a slow day at work.

My top 4 would go as follows:

1. Montana
2a. EWU
2b. MSU
3. Cal Poly

We will know more after week two is over.

Bisonator
September 2nd, 2015, 09:58 AM
They were ranked ahead of the Griz going in and deservedly so. You could even make a case for the Griz being 3rd or 4th until last Saturday. Of course we don't know for sure yet how good that win will be.

Like I said the cats always seem overrated. Why should they be ranked ahead? They had Prokup last year and got slapped.

veinup
September 2nd, 2015, 10:29 AM
cats at #1 seems to be a very controversial pick mr. almond!

catbob
September 2nd, 2015, 02:56 PM
Like I said the cats always seem overrated. Why should they be ranked ahead? They had Prokup last year and got slapped.
Prukop didn't play a down in Cat/Griz, and was pretty hobbled against SDSU.

I don't know if having Prukop would've changed the final outcome for Cat/Griz, but I can gaurantee that Prukop wouldn't have been responsible for 7 turnovers like his backup was. I love Bleskin and man I felt bad fort the kid, but that will go down as the single worst Cat/Griz performance in the history of the series.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
September 2nd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Prukop didn't play a down in Cat/Griz, and was pretty hobbled against SDSU.

I don't know if having Prukop would've changed the final outcome for Cat/Griz, but I can gaurantee that Prukop wouldn't have been responsible for 7 turnovers like his backup was. I love Bleskin and man I felt bad fort the kid, but that will go down as the single worst Cat/Griz performance in the history of the series.

And no guarantee Prukop plays this year either....just sayin....

veinup
September 2nd, 2015, 03:26 PM
i somehow forgot about those 7 turnovers. oh my.

catbob
September 2nd, 2015, 03:32 PM
And no guarantee Prukop plays this year either....just sayin....
No, there never is. I was simply responding to your claim that we had Prukop last year and got slapped. The only game we got "slapped" in was Cat/Griz, and Prukop didn't play.

Catbooster
September 3rd, 2015, 12:26 AM
Before the NDSU game I would have put the Griz at 3rd or 4th. With a new QB, new coach, new offense, several good players lost on D I expected it to take them a while to put it all together. Apparently I was wrong. I'd put them #1 right now.