PantherRob82
August 30th, 2015, 10:23 AM
1. Montana
2. North Dakota State

ORV: None

xcoffeex

penguinpower
August 30th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Both teams played at a very high level for the first game. I was particularly impressed with Montana's LB's and secondary in addition to their overall game plan and level of intensity. However, if I have money on this game then I put it on the Bison 8of 10 times.

veinup
August 30th, 2015, 12:26 PM
gotta agree, montana is now THE NUMBER ONE TEAM IN THE NATION!!!!!!11

Grizalltheway
August 30th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Both teams played at a very high level for the first game. I was particularly impressed with Montana's LB's and secondary in addition to their overall game plan and level of intensity. However, if I have money on this game then I put it on the Bison 8of 10 times.

No way Jose. If these two teams played a hundred times this year they'd each win 50.

Bisonator
August 30th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Not sure NDSU is a top 5 team right now. We got lots to work on....

lucchesicourt
August 30th, 2015, 12:56 PM
If NDSU runs the ball twice instead of throwing 2 incomplete passes in their last possession the outcome might have been a lot different.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2015, 01:27 PM
There is no poll this week fella's and maybe you were just kidding Rob but the poll starts next Saturday night for the regular season. You did just remind me to go send an email though so thanks brother.

kalm
August 30th, 2015, 02:10 PM
There is no poll this week fella's and maybe you were just kidding Rob but the poll starts next Saturday night for the regular season. You did just remind me to go send an email though so thanks brother.

What did I just vote in then? The AGS poll link at the bottom of the FCS Discussion page is active.

Cleets
August 30th, 2015, 02:13 PM
What did I just vote in then? The AGS poll link at the bottom of the FCS Discussion page is active.

You voted in my personal poll (thank you) you now rank #1

PantherRob82
August 30th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Most significant win: Montana
Most significant loss: AGS users.

:D

underdawg
August 30th, 2015, 02:22 PM
If NDSU runs the ball twice instead of throwing 2 incomplete passes in their last possession the outcome might have been a lot different.

I remember being surprised that occurred too! Perhaps someone at the post game presser asked just that? Bison fans?

kalm
August 30th, 2015, 02:22 PM
You voted in my personal poll (thank you) you now rank #1

Yes!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Actually, you helped me test some things I've upgraded with the poll since the preseason effort. It has been up and active (only registered poll voters can see it) for the last month or so. I sent an email with instructions about a 1/2 hr. ago. Check that and you'll see some of the small changes to the way we do it this year.

Cleets
August 30th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Actually, you helped me test some things I've upgraded with the poll since the preseason effort. It has been up and active (only registered poll voters can see it) for the last month or so. I sent an email with instructions about a 1/2 hr. ago. Check that and you'll see some of the small changes to the way we do it this year.

But... but can kalm still be #1 in my personal poll..?

http://cctosiam.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/crying-meme-673.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
August 30th, 2015, 03:56 PM
But... but can kalm still be #1 in my personal poll..?

http://cctosiam.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/crying-meme-673.jpg

Yes, I approved that ballot. You looked to have done a lot of research.

Grizzlies82
August 30th, 2015, 04:28 PM

According to newspaper article: NDSU head coach said he told their OC to call pass plays because they needed a 1st down to keep Montana from getting the ball back. I guess he had more faith in Wentz's arm than in pounding it with runs. Though I too couldn't believe they hadn't ran it three times. Even without gaining a 1st down the Grizzlies would have had to burn all of its timeouts.

Each team had some surprising / questionable coaching calls. The same could be said for MT head coach going for it on 4th down on about their own 40 yard line with a couple minutes to go before half. That turned into a 7 pt half time advantage for the Bison. Though in the end those coaches get paid to make the call. Sometimes the gambles pay off, sometimes not.

- - - Updated - - -

According to newspaper article: NDSU head coach said he told their OC to call pass plays because they needed a 1st down to keep Montana from getting the ball back. I guess he had more faith in Wentz's arm than in pounding it with runs. Though I too couldn't believe they hadn't ran it three times. Even without gaining a 1st down the Grizzlies would have had to burn all of its timeouts.

Each team had some surprising / questionable coaching calls. The same could be said for MT head coach going for it on 4th down on about their own 40 yard line with a couple minutes to go before half. That turned into a 7 pt half time advantage for the Bison. Though in the end those coaches get paid to make the call. Sometimes the gambles pay off, sometimes not.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2015, 04:35 PM
What's crazy is that the Griz were in their first game with a new coach and new offensive system with some obvious sloppiness and mistakes and beat the hottest team in DI (probably all of CFB)...I have said for a while that if Montana finds a competent spread coach they will be almost unstoppable.

On the other side, I think NDSU will be fine, but they are obviously not on the same level defensively as 2011-2013. JMHO, but those defenses are just not something you can build year-in and year-out even at the P5 level (even Alabama gets into games where they need to score a lot to win), let alone the FCS. I also wonder (I mean this sincerely, not trying to be a smart-***) how much the crazy atmosphere at W-G played into the game. NDSU has probably not had all that much experience in those kind of stadiums, even counting their FBS games.