PDA

View Full Version : Should Montana kicked the extra point after the game winning TD?

goyotes
August 29th, 2015, 10:45 PM
The TD put Montana up by 2. If (and I am not an expert on the rules) the Bison had blocked the extra point and returned it they would have received 2 points and tied the game. Would have been safer to go into victory formation and take a knee.

Bisonator
August 29th, 2015, 10:52 PM
The clock doesn't start on an extra point or 2 point try so they still had to kickoff. I think every coach in the country would try to make it a 3 point game.

Nickels
August 29th, 2015, 10:54 PM
In retrospect probably.

It's easy to say reflecting on it later but in the heat of the moment for new coach about to pull off an upset against the no. 1 team at home it was an easy thing to overlook.

In the end, it doesn't matter.

IBleedYellow
August 30th, 2015, 12:34 AM
In retrospect the best they could have done was went for 2.

RootinFerDukes
August 30th, 2015, 03:57 AM
First off, I don't think I've ever seen such a thing happen before. If you let that happen, you probably shouldn't win the game anyways.
There also isn't much point in worrying about a hypothetical when you won. It's a moot point.
To answer the question, no.

AshevilleApp2
August 30th, 2015, 04:54 AM
First off, I don't think I've ever seen such a thing happen before. If you let that happen, you probably shouldn't win the game anyways.
There also isn't much point in worrying about a hypothetical when you won. It's a moot point.

I've seen teams go for two in order to try and make it three point lead after a late touchdown. But a moot point all same.

CFBfan
August 30th, 2015, 07:57 AM
The TD put Montana up by 2. If (and I am not an expert on the rules) the Bison had blocked the extra point and returned it they would have received 2 points and tied the game. Would have been safer to go into victory formation and take a knee.

after one of the best college football games you'll see this season at ANY level that's your comment?!!! really!!!!!

Sandlapper Spike
August 30th, 2015, 09:10 AM
In retrospect the best they could have done was went for 2.

Furman did this a few years ago against Appalachian State. It didn't quite work out for the Paladins...

They should have taken a knee. The only thing that was going to beat Montana with 2 seconds left was a kickoff return for a TD, so being up by 2, 3, or 4 points didn't matter. Kicking the PAT risked the block and return scenario.

URMite
August 30th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Closest I have ever see is this.

http://m.poconorecord.com/article/19981129/Sports/311299991

bison137
August 30th, 2015, 10:12 AM

Teams have returned the extra point try on a number of occasions over the years.

kdinva
August 30th, 2015, 10:16 AM

yes, I say take a knee there, then squip kick the KO about 35 yards....

- - - Updated - - -

Teams have returned the extra point try on a number of occasions over the years.

I think VMI has done that four times since the rule was implimented...

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2015, 10:22 AM
never look a gift horse in the mouth, if they dont have enough confidence to kick an x point the season would be lost

RootinFerDukes
August 30th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I have learned something new about football that I didn't know. Good discussion.
I've never seen such a play, but it would be my luck that I see it happen against the Dukes special teams this season...

mvemjsunpx
August 30th, 2015, 10:49 AM
never look a gift horse in the mouth, if they dont have enough confidence to kick an x point the season would be lost

Except there's literally no reason to add the extra point. There's no way NDSU could get into field goal range without the clock running out, so having a 3-point lead vs. a 2-point lead is meaningless.

AshevilleApp2
August 30th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Furman did this a few years ago against Appalachian State. It didn't quite work out for the Paladins...

They should have taken a knee. The only thing that was going to beat Montana with 2 seconds left was a kickoff return for a TD, so being up by 2, 3, or 4 points didn't matter. Kicking the PAT risked the block and return scenario.

Thanks for the opening! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAycXbA2ZhE

ElCid
August 30th, 2015, 11:55 AM
yes, I say take a knee there, then squip kick the KO about 35 yards....

- - - Updated - - -

I think VMI has done that four times since the rule was implemented...

I know you guys did it to us in 03. Ran the blocked PAT back for 2 with 14 Sec left. We still won 27-23, but that really should never happen but it obviously can. As Spike said earlier the only real threat was a kick off return with seconds left and not a FG so theoretically not kicking it would have been safer even if the odds of blocked kick are nil.

URMite
August 30th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Just looked it up. Tony Holmes for Texas against Iowa state in 1998 scored 2 defensive 2 point conversions? Whoa!

walliver
August 30th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Except there's literally no reason to add the extra point. There's no way NDSU could get into field goal range without the clock running out, so having a 3-point lead vs. a 2-point lead is meaningless.

Actually, if NDSU had gotten a good return and the play ended up with a defensive penalty, face-masking for example, they would then have one more play. That scenario is somewhat unlikely, though.

Just do a quick good search for the "Miracle on the Mountain" to see why I would have taken a knee.
If you don't have the time, the short version is that Furman scored a TD to go up on ASU by one, went for two, the pass was intercepted and run back for a 1 point ASU win. The scenario was a little different since there was a little more time on the clock, but the point is the same. Later that year, a similar situation arose and Furman took a knee on the PAT.

Sycamore62
August 30th, 2015, 05:16 PM
In 1991 ISUb went up late by 1 against Kansas State(2 years before I got there). They went for 2 and threw a pick-2 and lost. I heard the instructions were "whatever you do, don't throw an interception."

here's another way you could have possibly scored 3 in the last 2 seconds.

If if the kickoff was somehow fair caught, with some sort of combination of a live ball 15yd (facemask, clip, block below the waist yes those can be on the kicking team) then a dead ball late hit or unsportsmanlike conduct.

Add 30 yds to this imaginary squib kick then the receiving team can opt for a free kick, which is a kickoff and if that kickoff goes through the upright is 3 points.

taking a knee would have made this a loss.

lionsrking2
August 30th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Happens more than people think. Harlan Miller had a blocked PAT return for 2 vs Nicholls in 2013 and almost did it again vs Lamar last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4ABlEa3bo

proasu89
August 30th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Google "Miracle on the Mountain". Furman at App State circa 2002.

Mr. C
August 30th, 2015, 09:50 PM
In the Miracle on the Mountain game in 2002, Furman scored on Appalachian State with seven seconds remaining for a 15-14 lead and the Paladins went for two to give themselves a three-point lead. DE Josh Jeffries intercepted a tunnel screen, lateraled to cornerback Derrick Black and Black took it to the house for a 16-15 App State victory. Only time I am aware of that happening in a college football game. Jeffries also recovered the Furman onside kick to end the game.

Catsfan90
August 31st, 2015, 06:03 AM
IMO if something crazy like that is going to happen than it was just meant to be. You need to be able to trust your team that they will be able to put it away.

Anovafan
August 31st, 2015, 09:48 AM
Funny this came up, the computer absolutely says take a knee and squib the kickoff. The time will run out on the bouncing kickoff and game is over. Now the question is whether the coaches can think that fast in a pressure packed situation.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2015, 09:59 AM

I literally turned to my father in law and said "they should take a knee." Literally nothing bad could happen in that situation, even if Montana fumbled the snap it would be under a pile of players. As I have seen first hand, there are numerous disastrous results that could happen by trying for the extra points.

My first reaction was to remember the '02 Furman/App game. There are a few differences, though. Furman took the lead up by 1 point, not 2. App also had 6 or 7 seconds left on the clock compared to NDSU's 2 seconds. That is, the worst that could have happened to Montana there is a tie game. Furman lost the lead on the play.

Folks often forget that in the same season Furman was faced with a similar game situation against Wofford in a rain soaked game. Furman took a late lead and Bobby Lamb, instead of chancing anything happening on a wet field, took a knee on the extra point.

My thinking is that while it is probably a statistically higher probability that a team could return the kick for a score, they at least have to run past 11 men to do it. If they block that kick or scoop a fumble, there isn't anyone to stop them but the mascot in the other endzone.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2015, 10:04 AM
In the Miracle on the Mountain game in 2002, Furman scored on Appalachian State with seven seconds remaining for a 15-14 lead and the Paladins went for two to give themselves a three-point lead. DE Josh Jeffries intercepted a tunnel screen, lateraled to cornerback Derrick Black and Black took it to the house for a 16-15 App State victory. Only time I am aware of that happening in a college football game. Jeffries also recovered the Furman onside kick to end the game.

Furman also had an extra point blocked for a score against Coastal Carolina in (I think) 2006. That was the deciding margin there as well.

I disagree that it is a hypothetical. This stuff actually happens. It is a small probability, but in a late game situation when player are tired and everyone is on an emotional roller coaster crazy things happen.

Sycamore62
August 31st, 2015, 10:06 AM
kick the extra point.

JayJ79
August 31st, 2015, 10:13 AM
Funny this came up, the computer absolutely says take a knee and squib the kickoff. The time will run out on the bouncing kickoff and game is over. Now the question is whether the coaches can think that fast in a pressure packed situation.

I don't think the clock starts until the ball is first fielded. so the time wouldn't have run out on the bouncing kickoff. the purpose of the squib kick is that it means it is generally recovered by a blocker instead of the usual return guy, so the chances of a big return are less.

eiu1999
August 31st, 2015, 10:23 AM

Agreed.

Sycamore62
August 31st, 2015, 11:05 AM
a penalty at the end of a kickoff will extend the game by 1 play.

If you are expecting a crazy thing to happen on the extra point then you should consider the possibility of something crazy happening on the kickoff

Anovafan
August 31st, 2015, 01:04 PM
I don't think the clock starts until the ball is first fielded. so the time wouldn't have run out on the bouncing kickoff. the purpose of the squib kick is that it means it is generally recovered by a blocker instead of the usual return guy, so the chances of a big return are less.

Yes, you are correct on the clock for a kickoff. I was referring to this game where the ball bounced off a player or two and the time ran out.

Missingnumber7
August 31st, 2015, 01:07 PM

Also you can't fair catch a ball that has been grounded.

Sycamore62
August 31st, 2015, 01:09 PM
Also you can't fair catch a ball that has been grounded.

this is true, but ive seen a sqib kick that accidentally hit a lineman and bounced up into his hands. I cant recall if it hit the ground but in my "photogenic" memory it didnt.

ISUb vs ISUr 2014

UNIFanSince1983
August 31st, 2015, 01:10 PM
Pretty sure UNI got an extra point blocked and returned for 2 against WIU back in the 90s that ended up sending the game into OT in which WIU won.

Sycamore62
August 31st, 2015, 01:45 PM
I know this would be FBS but I think I saw the first PAT returned for a TD. Illinois played Utah or Utah St when i was a kid. the score was 6-2 with zero plays from scrimmage.

Missingnumber7
September 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM
this is true, but ive seen a sqib kick that accidentally hit a lineman and bounced up into his hands. I cant recall if it hit the ground but in my "photogenic" memory it didnt.

ISUb vs ISUr 2014

Clock would've still rolled as that essentially would've been considered a muff.

clenz
September 3rd, 2015, 08:49 PM
Western Illinois grabbed a pick 6 just now...the PAT was blocked by EIU and run back for points