PDA

View Full Version : Beer sales in the stadium - for or against?

clenz
August 26th, 2015, 04:05 PM
This has been debated for years, but this came across my twitter feed today and I thought I'd bring it to the board...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/26/ndsu-president-opposed-to-selling-beer-to-people-i/
FARGO, N.D. (AP) - The board that oversees the Fargodome has changed its mind about allowing alcohol inside the facility during North Dakota State University football games.

The Fargodome Authority decided in July to allow alcohol in suites and in a controlled beer garden during the 2015 Bison season. The group reversed its decision Tuesday night, saying it wasn’t workable and that more research was needed.

“There is no place inside to do (a beer garden), so you would have to set up a huge tent outside,” said board member Darrell Vanyo, who made the motion to rescind the previous decision. His motion passed on a 5-1 vote.

An outdoors venue would be costly, and “it just seems a little bit absurd to send people outside to a tent to have a beer rather than being in the Fargodome,” Vanyo said.

Officials will form a committee of authority members, NDSU administrators and city leaders to further look into the issue.

“It seems as though everyone was kind of in favor of, let’s have a little more research, and talking to folks @ other universities that do allow alcohol,” Vanyo said “Let’s find out from them how it’s gone and whether or not there has been any incidents and all that.”

NDSU President Dean Bresciani told KFGO radio earlier this week that he was is opposed to beer in the stands during Bison games. He said he might be open to allowing alcohol in private suites or designated locations.

The Bison are the four-time defending champions in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision. They open their season Saturday afternoon on the road against Montana, with ESPN broadcasting the game. NDSU’s home opener in the Fargodome is Sept. 12 against Weber State.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 04:07 PM
This has been so absurd, they have such an uptight attitude about alcohol for tailgating an in the dome.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 26th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I would want this to happen, but if we do we may have to change our mascot to the flying drinkers and drivers. I mean we are NORTH DAKOTA state University. Drinking is what we do. Just a millimeter behind football in pride and success.

Sammy94
August 26th, 2015, 04:57 PM
With our new video board sponsors, it may happen soon.
.https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM2nhc7AY1wrBcTE8yu67OH1RlTt1Hp RC2woxnkxTjl4gcu4NL

clenz
August 26th, 2015, 04:59 PM
With our new video board sponsors, it may happen soon.
.https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM2nhc7AY1wrBcTE8yu67OH1RlTt1Hp RC2woxnkxTjl4gcu4NL
UNI has had Bud Light signage, and large ones at that, for a decade. Means nothing other than they bought ad space

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
August 26th, 2015, 05:07 PM
I voted for, but I'd rather just continue to sneak in my flask of schnapps under my belt than pay 7-8 buck a beer.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 05:09 PM
I voted for, but I'd rather just continue to sneak in my flask of schnapps under my belt than pay 7-8 buck a beer.

Is it that easy? Asking for a friend.

Grizalltheway
August 26th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Is it that easy? Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend as long as he isn't going in through the student entrance, yes. They may pat him down a little, but they generally leave your crotch alone.

The biggest thing is to make sure security inside the stadium doesn't see him taking swills from it.

dgtw
August 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I voted in favor of beer sales. Currently, Jax State does not allow beer sales at games and I don't see that changing in the near (or distant) future.

I got to sit in one of the suites last year and was served beer. I think hard liquor was also there and it was all free. Well, it was free for me, the sponsor of the suite donated it for use of those sitting there.

Now, if they are going to let people bring booze into suites where they can drink as much as they want to and then drive, why not sell it to those who have to sit in the actual stadium? If they sell it, they can control how much a person gets to drink. If someone has had too much, they can't buy any more beer. Also, they would likely stop selling at the end of the third quarter (or some other designated time). They would check IDs to make sure everyone is legal and also they'd make money off the deal.

I do drink, but I doubt I'd drink much if it was at a game. First of all, they would charge so much that I'm not going to drink to excess simply for economical reasons. Second, drinking a beer is more enjoyable to me when it is warmer and once cold weather arrives, not so much. I'd probably still have a few at the tailgate and spend less than I would if I had one or two at a game.

I've worked concession stands at rock concerts and it amazes me how much money people would spend on beer to the point they'd get too drunk to walk straight.

underdawg
August 26th, 2015, 05:59 PM
We need the money---I'd even buy a couple---make them 6 bucks a cup

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 06:02 PM

Well all the drunks walking in and out of the stadium, that might not work.

skinny_uncle
August 26th, 2015, 07:05 PM
6 bucks might be a bit steep for Carbondale.

No_Skill
August 26th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Tell your friend as long as he isn't going in through the student entrance, yes. They may pat him down a little, but they generally leave your crotch alone.

The biggest thing is to make sure security inside the stadium doesn't see him taking swills from it.

Oh, thank god.
http://cdn.blessthisstuff.com/imagens/stuff/1-gallon-flask.jpg

Yote 53
August 26th, 2015, 08:47 PM
I voted "all for it" but have to admit I probably wouldn't buy a beer during the game. Besides, at USD we can go outside at halftime and return to our tailgates so I'll have a few drinks while there during halftime. I fear if they ever sold beer at the DakotaDome they would restrict being able to leave at halftime.

Drblankstare
August 26th, 2015, 08:56 PM
For it. Might help cut down on some of the more extreme cases of drunkeness at tailgating.... I said might.

lionsrking2
August 26th, 2015, 09:32 PM
We've been selling beer in Strawberry Stadium for several years and have had very few problems. I'm all for it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2015, 10:10 PM
I'm not a big drinker so I can easily attend a sporting event without throwing a few back.

I've attended numerous games at Temple and Syracuse, both of whom serve alcohol, and never encountered any real issues. Even so, I have no tolerance for annoying drunktards when they do pop up.

Lehigh could honestly have a wine tent at their games. It would be a hit.

HailSzczur
August 27th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Lehigh could honestly have a wine tent at their games. It would be a hit.

Same with Nova. I'd see them allowing Luigi and Giovanni's sell wine out of their tent or changing the corporate tent in the East Endzone to a Beer/Wine Garden.

McNeese75
August 27th, 2015, 08:29 AM
We've been selling beer in Strawberry Stadium for several years and have had very few problems. I'm all for it.

Tell me again how that is done at Strawberry? I thought schools were prohibited from selling beer in the stadium if it was on campus or is that a school by school decision? Your stadium is certainly sitting in the middle of campus unless there is some wacky boundary carving going on.

Professor Chaos
August 27th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Tell me again how that is done at Strawberry? I thought schools were prohibited from selling beer in the stadium if it was on campus or is that a school by school decision? Your stadium is certainly sitting in the middle of campus unless there is some wacky boundary carving going on.
Pretty sure it's a school by school decision. The University of Minnesota sells beer in some areas of their stadium and that's on campus.

BEAR
August 27th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Even though I voted that I'm all for it, I really don't see much need for it. Even though our county is "dry" you can get anything you want in the tailgate areas and now several "private clubs" are opening up within walking distance of campus so is the big debate having the alcohol IN the stadium? You can't bring an umbrella into our stadium on a rainy game day so good luck bringing in anything else! xlolx

eiu1999
August 27th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I'd be all for it. If the students drink before them come in (the ones who don't tailgate) why not let them drink inside and make some $$$.

MSUBobcat
August 27th, 2015, 10:08 AM
For it. You can already get as hammered as you want in the tailgate, so allowing beer in the game would have little effect there, IMO. Prices would also mitigate any significant increase in drunken assholes.

People like beer and football. Schools like money. What's the debate?

clenz
August 27th, 2015, 10:58 AM
People like beer and football. Schools like money. What's the debate?Potential PR issues with uppity types. Cost of installing equipment. Cost of added insurance that would be needed. Cost of partnerships

Short term there is zero money to be made on it but this isn't something you can look out with short term vision

NoDak 4 Ever
August 27th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Potential PR issues with uppity types. Cost of installing equipment. Cost of added insurance that would be needed. Cost of partnerships

Short term there is zero money to be made on it but this isn't something you can look out with short term vision

This is the only thing in Fargo. The Dome already has beer sales for non-NDSU events.

ming01
August 27th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Id be fine with it in all seats other than the student section and end sales when 3rd quarter begins for NDSU. They could always have a few family sections in the end zone to appease the anti fun ppl.

CrazyCat
August 27th, 2015, 11:15 AM
MSU has been researching this for a couple years now. They have looked at how everybody else has done it and what the expenses are. What failed and what worked. With all the new possible expenses(FCOA). I think they have to do it and would make some positive cash for the budget.

Gil Dobie
August 27th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I went with the restricted zone. At least the Fargodome is family friendly. I wouldn't take a kid to a Vikings game. I've seen kids get beers accidentally dumped on them from behind. Watching adults look foolish falling up steps, getting in fights etc. A couple people from iowa were busted for having sex in a Metrodome bathroom at a Gophers game.

Bill
August 27th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Here's a link to a 2011 game between West Virginia and Auburn....

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32346634

$120K profit in one night!!!

clenz
August 27th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Here's a link to a 2011 game between West Virginia and Auburn....

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32346634

$120K profit in one night!!!
60k in attendance...

That's 2 or 3 seasons for many FCS programs

Bill
August 27th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Certainly! But just wanted to put this in perspective to show others how huge this really gets...

Ivytalk
August 27th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Opposed, but if you buy me a six-pack I'll change my vote.:D

MSUBobcat
August 27th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Potential PR issues with uppity types. Cost of installing equipment. Cost of added insurance that would be needed. Cost of partnerships

PR I'll give you, though MT loves its beer so it may be less of an issue here than other places. In the short term, sell cans. Beer carts are cheap. Local bars close off downtown streets here on Thursdays and Fridays all summer for local bands and for the most part sell cans. Given that tailgaters can drink in the adjacent school-owned parking lot and all the way up to entering the stadium, I don't see the much added cost for insurance, but I don't work in the industry so I may be way off. Not sure what you mean by cost of partnerships. If anything, they could make money on partnerships, i.e selling the right to say Anheiser-Busch to be the only macro beer sold (had to qualify that because I think people would flip $#!t if they couldn't get a few microbrew options). I think I heard they make money on a soft drink partnership back when I was in school, but that was many moons ago, so my memory might be foggy.

Basically, unless insurance happened to be prohibitively expense, from a financial aspect, a school should be able to turn a profit fairly quickly and easily, with minimal investment for equipment. Obviously, there would be the legal legwork to be done (obtaining beer and wine license, etc.). At $5 for a 16oz can, which would cost less than $1, say even 10% of MSU's capacity of 20K bought only 3 cans (1 per quarter, no sales after 3rd), that's $120k-144k per year, which would take a pretty hefty increase in insurance to cancel out. And that's being pretty conservative I think, given that MT is typically top 4 in beer consumption per capita. Hey, we like to drink when we... well, everything.

Obviously, my post is specific to my alma mater and other schools wouldn't have the same situation or results.

BluBengal07
August 27th, 2015, 03:29 PM
if it's initially, i would want it restricted to clubs, restaurants and suites only.
once it's not so much of a "new thing", season ticket holders would be next within the general(buy your own).
then general will be included. but i would want it to be a premium price and premium cold. the beer would the coldest beverage to can buy at the game.xdrunkyx

Sycamore62
August 27th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Id bet the distributor would install the equipment for free. The insurance would be DRAM shop which is a % of sales. Im not saying it would bring in much more in concessions but I doubt it would be a loser. I suspect it might be a net gain for attendance for the game and who comes back after halftime for some places.

bluehenbillk
August 27th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Delaware has done it now for 2 years I think & I'm a big beer drinker but to be completely honest I've rarely bought one inside. I drink my fill (for much cheaper) in the parking lot while tailgating, maybe I'm going to sound too white collar but why would I spend $5 or $6 for one inside (which actually is cheap compared to the pro sporting events around) and miss some of the game standing in line. I can drink both before & after the game, and go the 3 hours I'm watching the game from my seat dry to be honest.

TheKingpin28
August 27th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Let people be people and give them every chance to drink until they abuse it, then punish those who didn't follow the rules and let the others drink until they feel like their livers have been punished

Bisonator
August 27th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I've never quite understood why it isn't allowed. They sell beer at just about every other event at the dome. Plenty of other schools sell beer at games I don't know why they think it's so difficult to police. Stop sales after the 3rd quarter, don't allow it in the student section and I doubt there would be very many issues.

poly51
August 28th, 2015, 03:51 PM
It is not allowed on State University campuses in California.

SFA 93
August 29th, 2015, 07:56 AM
If you can drink responsibly, which is rare I have no problem with it, but nothing worse than going to a night game and there's an obnoxious intoxicated fan acting a fool and falling all over people.

Especially mean drunks who want to fight for no reason.

That fire water makes you do things in public you normally wouldn't do. Not good examples for the kids either.

veinup
August 29th, 2015, 08:07 AM
If you can drink responsibly, which is rare I have no problem with it, but nothing worse than going to a night game and there's an obnoxious intoxicated fan acting a fool and falling all over people.

That fire water makes you do things in public you normally wouldn't do. Not good examples for the kids either.

i very reluctantly voted for *beer sales in restricted areas for this reason. a couple years ago i would've said all out beer sale everywhere. i'm still pretty torn. i know there's a fair amount of drinking surrounding sports in general, football in particular. i just think the percentage of ****ty drunks in stadiums probably goes up if beer is sold in the stadium. not sure if this is a popular opinion here but i think public sporting events like football games should be as family friendly as possibly, IE the fewer drunker college students and old men the better.

as a student i used to get hammered on friday nights, wake up and go to the bar on saturday mornings, then over to the tailgates for a bit. by gametime i was usually ****faced. around halftime, especially during warmer games, i could feel myself starting to dry out a bit by halftime. woulda killed for stadium beer sales back then. never really liked going back out to tailgates at halftime.

veinup
August 29th, 2015, 08:09 AM

i very reluctantly voted for *beer sales in restricted areas for this reason. a couple years ago i would've said all out beer sale everywhere. i'm still pretty torn. i know there's a fair amount of drinking surrounding sports in general, football in particular. i just think the percentage of ****ty drunks in stadiums probably goes up if beer is sold in the stadium. not sure if this is a popular opinion here but i think public sporting events like football games should be as family friendly as possibly, IE the fewer drunker college students and old men the better.

as a student i used to get hammered on friday nights, wake up and go to the bar on saturday mornings, then over to the tailgates for a while. by kickoff i was usually ****faced. around halftime, especially during warmer games, i could feel myself starting to dry out a bit. woulda killed for stadium beer sales back then. it was always kind of a pain in the ass hustling back out to the tailgate to get another beer. all that said, god knows what would've happened to me if i had actually been allowed to purchase alcohol in the stadium. xlolxxdrunkyx

veinup
August 29th, 2015, 08:25 AM

as a student i used to get hammered on friday nights, wake up and go to the bar on saturday mornings, then over to the tailgates for a while. by kickoff i was usually ****faced. around halftime, especially during warmer games, i could feel myself starting to dry out a bit. woulda killed for stadium beer sales back then. it was always kind of a pain in the ass hustling back out to the tailgate to get another beer. all that said, god knows what would've happened to me if i had actually been allowed to purchase alcohol in the stadium. xlolxxdrunkyx