PDA

View Full Version : Will An FCS Team Host Game Day This Year??

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 25th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Does an FCS team have a chance to host Game day? Who would you love to see represented? (Don't homer too hard) What would be a great representation of the division? Go

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Lafayette @ LEHIGH 151. Just throwing that out there.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I think Lee Fitting has already hinted pretty hard that he'd like to bring the show back to Fargo again, so I'd say there's a chance that NDSU hosts again -- as long as the Bison take care of business on the field. And that's not a foregone conclusion!

Other than that, I'd love to see Gameday in Missoula. I can't think of any other current FCS programs that have the historical and current success on the field as well as the current following to make it an exciting event.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Shouldn't the Gameday crew think about heading to the FCS kickoff game in Missoula this weekend? Be a fitting start to the D-I football year. IMO.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2015, 03:21 PM

This would be a good choice.

centennial
August 25th, 2015, 04:08 PM

How big is the crowd? His many fans would you expect to get for game day?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2015, 04:10 PM
How big is the crowd? His many fans would you expect to get for game day?

Always a sellout, so 16,000+ in Murray Goodman Stadium. A fair number also show up for the party and don't enter the stadium.

centennial
August 25th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Always a sellout, so 16,000+ in Murray Goodman Stadium. A fair number also show up for the party and don't enter the stadium.
I think this would be a good showcase.

AmsterBison
August 25th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I think this would be a good showcase.

I'd bring a big old Snorty flag.

Wonder if the Christkindlmarkt would be open yet?

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I'd bring a big old Snorty flag.

I keep saying if they end up in Manhattan or Columbia, I'm there with a Bison flag.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Shouldn't the Gameday crew think about heading to the FCS kickoff game in Missoula this weekend? Be a fitting start to the D-I football year. IMO.

I agree they should have done it out there this year. They could have had a season preview type show highlighting upcoming games and where they might be headed. Would have been an awesome show.

taper
August 25th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Just think of the corporate sponsorship.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3120/3107403403_1e3c938f03_b.jpg

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 08:59 PM
ESPN has done it three times right? I think 02 or 03 they were at penn I believe. Ivy League school in a major city. That almost "doesn't count" compared to any other Fcs school.
Then ndsu twice, after two and then three straight titles and more importantly, many bcs wins.
So unless you're on a crazy historic streak or have the prestige of an Ivy League school, I'm going to nominate no one.
I'll believe it when I see it. ESPN tries to act like they're taking Fcs seriously, but my eyes see otherwise. More playoff games are forced off their real channels and onto ESPN3. They have this kickoff but we have to start early.

paward
August 25th, 2015, 11:59 PM

This gets my vote

downbythebeach
August 26th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Villanova for the popes visit

GAD
August 26th, 2015, 06:43 AM
ESPN has done it three times right? I think 02 or 03 they were at penn I believe. Ivy League school in a major city. That almost "doesn't count" compared to any other Fcs school.
Then ndsu twice, after two and then three straight titles and more importantly, many bcs wins.
So unless you're on a crazy historic streak or have the prestige of an Ivy League school, I'm going to nominate no one.
I'll believe it when I see it. ESPN tries to act like they're taking Fcs seriously, but my eyes see otherwise. More playoff games are forced off their real channels and onto ESPN3. They have this kickoff but we have to start early.
Game Day has also been to FAMU in 08 and Southern vs Grambling in 05

Bam
August 26th, 2015, 07:16 AM
EKU @ Jax St Oct 31!

Gil Dobie
August 26th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Been hearing rumblings of Fargo for the UND game if NDSU doesn't lose to Montana or Weber St.

RootinFerDukes
August 26th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Game Day has also been to FAMU in 08 and Southern vs Grambling in 05

Thanks. I somehow missed those ones.

344Johnson
August 26th, 2015, 08:55 AM
I agree they should have done it out there this year. They could have had a season preview type show highlighting upcoming games and where they might be headed. Would have been an awesome show.

With all the smoke?

eiu1999
August 26th, 2015, 08:56 AM
EIU/ISUr

Missingnumber7
August 26th, 2015, 12:00 PM

Weren't they also at Harvard last year?

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Penn

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Last yr they covered Harvard/Yale from the Yale Bowl.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 12:29 PM

Yep, my bad. For some reason I got that mixed up with Corso in the Ben Franklin costume all those years ago.

JMUNJ08
August 26th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Really, what you have to look at is the unappealing matchups certain weeks to see if there is one that stands out. The big boys seem to have spread out the wealth a little better this year where a weekend schedule does not dip to the point NDSU or some other major FCS team/ game looks more juicy.

From looking at it, week 6, Oct. 10th has the best chance as some early top 25 teams on the edge will have already had a toughy or two that could drop them out and cause the game importance to drop. If I could pick a few games that would be of interest to ESPN....
UNI @ NDSU - The Bison are obvious but a winning record at this point for UNI would mean some quality W's. Would be a great GAME instead of steam roller versions of Game Day past....
ISUr @ YSU - BO! Could be another great game but the former head coach of Nebraska would be the main draw. The Ice Palace is not as ugly as most other FCS stadiums either.

There may be other good games that week but you have to think what will draw a broad group from around the country. I think you are looking at them...

Missingnumber7
August 26th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Really, what you have to look at is the unappealing matchups certain weeks to see if there is one that stands out. The big boys seem to have spread out the wealth a little better this year where a weekend schedule does not dip to the point NDSU or some other major FCS team/ game looks more juicy.

From looking at it, week 6, Oct. 10th has the best chance as some early top 25 teams on the edge will have already had a toughy or two that could drop them out and cause the game importance to drop. If I could pick a few games that would be of interest to ESPN....
UNI @ NDSU - The Bison are obvious but a winning record at this point for UNI would mean some quality W's. Would be a great GAME instead of steam roller versions of Game Day past....
ISUr @ YSU - BO! Could be another great game but the former head coach of Nebraska would be the main draw. The Ice Palace is not as ugly as most other FCS stadiums either.

There may be other good games that week but you have to think what will draw a broad group from around the country. I think you are looking at them...

While matchups may not look attractive now or may look attractive now, lots can happen between now and then, and you never know. Things could set themselves up for a visit to Fargo, or any other FCS/NON-DI venue. I am still shocked that Mount Union or UW-Whitewater have not been visited or even rumored. A week that looks like a lock for a certain matchup may not, on the flip side weeks that appear weak could turn out to be much stronger. I really only saw 2 weeks that seem like gimmies for a visit to a nonstandard site, and even those dates have games that might be attractive to the folks at ESPN. A couple factors that I like to always look at becuase it plays a slight role is a big game that is also the ESPN/ABC night game. That may not play as big of a role now that Fowler is not the host and Herstreit does analysis on 90% of the P5 every week. I am interested to see if Davis changes any of the dynamic.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2015, 06:23 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/3825945-college-gameday-throwing-fargo-another-hint

RootinFerDukes
August 26th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Damn. I don't really watch college game day and it shows. I just don't care about a bcs and sec love fest for 3 hours. I'd rather just keep sleeping or something.

Ivytalk
August 26th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Actually, it was at Harvard Stadium last year, but that dope Corso put on a Yale Bulldog headpiece. The old Indiana coach knows how to pick 'em.xrolleyesx

Hammersmith
August 26th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Been hearing rumblings of Fargo for the UND game if NDSU doesn't lose to Montana or Weber St.

Equal local rumblings of UNI on Oct 10th. The rumor is that these other rumors are popping up because ESPN has been in contact with NDSU already due to Oct 10th being homecoming. It affects the HC parade because the current parade route(Fri night) goes right through where GameDay has set up the last two years. If GameDay does come on Oct 10th, the parade route will have to be altered, the set location would have to change, or the parade would have to incorporate the set. That's why conversations have started already.

At least that's the rumor. Obviously, NDSU has to be undefeated at that point, and no other big storylines can crop up between now and then. Also no chance of anyone confirming any of this if it does happen to be true.

putter
August 27th, 2015, 12:02 AM
All good choices, although I can't believe they are not in Missoula. FBS does not start for almost another week and they could have kicked off the season in a pretty cool way. ESPN dropped the ball on this one

AmsterBison
August 27th, 2015, 07:07 AM
All good choices, although I can't believe they are not in Missoula. FBS does not start for almost another week and they could have kicked off the season in a pretty cool way. ESPN dropped the ball on this one

I think that it was more of them not starting the Game Day deal so early

I bet that ESPN is going to love their Montana experience which could lead to Game Day going there down the road.

Missingnumber7
August 27th, 2015, 10:26 AM

I said the same thing when they weren't at the EWU/SHSU game last year. Its an opportunity to showcase what the lower level has to offer, but historically they use that as their nice cushy preview show from Bristol or last year they were in NYC.

Hammersmith
August 27th, 2015, 12:51 PM

Would have required negotiation with talent since it's not part of the existing contract. I've heard rumors that at least one, and up to three, of the on-air talent was not interested in another game. ESPN could have still done it with different hosts, but would it still have felt like Game Day? Maybe, maybe not.

2ram
August 27th, 2015, 01:35 PM
seems like the ndsu/montana game would be a great game and venue. i think it's the only college game being played this weekend too... so why not?

RootinFerDukes
August 27th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I think they're not doing it because of additional costs and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those talking head schmucks thinks doing it for an Fcs game is beneath him. Just because they have done it doesn't mean they like it.
They also fail to cover G5 schools for the same reason. Do they ever host at a G5 school lately?

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 27th, 2015, 09:08 PM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11890913_10153621535714532_3108105115122082421_n.j pg?oh=6e7c5630db74230ee8bab385b86a7c29&oe=563AFDAE

344Johnson
August 27th, 2015, 09:33 PM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11890913_10153621535714532_3108105115122082421_n.j pg?oh=6e7c5630db74230ee8bab385b86a7c29&oe=563AFDAE

Yeah everyone already knew that

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I think they're not doing it because of additional costs and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those talking head schmucks thinks doing it for an Fcs game is beneath him. Just because they have done it doesn't mean they like it.
They also fail to cover G5 schools for the same reason. Do they ever host at a G5 school lately?

ESPN goes all in for the Little League World Series. They have the two semifinals on Saturday so that's where their resources will be spent.

Hopefully they put SOME effort into the NDSU-Montana production. These are two excellent programs and the setting, even with fires, will be awesome. Missoula is cool as hell imo.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Yeah everyone already knew that

How did everybody know it troll? It was just tweeted out tonight at 8:47 PM.

344Johnson
August 27th, 2015, 11:06 PM
How did everybody know it troll? It was just tweeted out tonight at 8:47 PM.

I'll assume you didn't read the thread. Already mentions of them hinting NDSU has a good shot. I might be a troll.... This however... Is not an example.

We'll see.

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Lee Fitting, producer of ESPN College Gameday and JMU alum, says the JMU/Richmond game is "in consideration" for Gameday next weekend (10/24).

https://twitter.com/leefitting/status/654676470741098496

BisonFan02
October 15th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Lee Fitting, producer of ESPN College Gameday and JMU alum, says the JMU/Richmond game is "in consideration" for Gameday next weekend (10/24).

https://twitter.com/leefitting/status/654676470741098496

Maybe JMU fans quit crying poverty and lobbied for some ESPN coverage? :D If they get it...they better "bring it". xlolx

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Lee Fitting is a JMU alum and tweeted he wanted to bring it to JMU before he's done. Now our fans are hitting them up on social media showing our support.
Someone on our boards says we're #2 right now behind the a&m-ole miss game. Take that fwiw.
Also, ROLL TIDE.

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Can't put a minimum bid in to host a playoff game but fans will demand GameDay.

WAFJ

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Can't put a minimum bid in to host a playoff game but fans will demand GameDay.

WAFJ

We put in a nearly 200k bid last year to host friggin Liberty because the Fcs playoffs have that BS regionalization priority. They got cheap in 04 and 11 but went excessive last season.

clenz
October 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM
We put in a nearly 200k bid last year to host friggin Liberty because the Fcs playoffs have that BS regionalization priority. They got cheap in 04 and 11 but went excessive last season.
Does your AD understand how money works?

Builds a massive half stadium to set up FBS move...then backs himself into a corner shunning a potential Sun Belt move amd now coming out against FCOA (I believe).

Also has massive stadium and refuses to bid in hosting a playoff game. Then when he decides to bid he bods 3 times the amount it would take to get a game.

I mean....that's something someone would hear at a water cooler at work and go "bull****. No AD can be that ignorant"

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2015, 09:43 PM

Builds a massive half stadium to set up FBS move...then backs himself into a corner shunning a potential Sun Belt move amd now coming out against FCOA (I believe).

Also has massive stadium and refuses to bid in hosting a playoff game. Then when he decides to bid he bods 3 times the amount it would take to get a game.

I mean....that's something someone would hear at a water cooler at work and go "bull****. No AD can be that ignorant"

First, our athletic director wanted to be fbs a decade ago, but two different presidents have refused to take it seriously. The sun belt was refused by our current president and considering the dumpster fire that it is, I'm beginning to understand why in hindsight.
The coa thing is the president too. He's a lawyer standing on his higher Ed elitist soap box and getting his name out there, using our school as his platform.
Now for the two botched bids in 04 and 11. That's on our cheap vp of finance. Everyone knows how he is so frugal it's almost sad. He did some formula that told him to bid a ridiculously low amount and then Eku gets help from the ovc with their bid and we're going to Richmond freakin Kentucky.
Finally, last year we had to bid as high as we did because they realized the reality of Liberty making the playoffs. I don't know if you know, but the Falwells, well they're kind loaded. Very loaded. Selling online degrees to anyone that can click submit is a huge money maker and Liberty is right up there with ecpi and devry.
If we hadn't been extremely aggressive in our bid, we would've been playing in Lynchburg and 0-3 in home playoff bids in the last decade. They certainly overspent, but the Fcs playoffs regionalization is f'in bs to begin with and so is the entire bidding process.

Schools like Montana get to bid the bare minimum while San Diego submits no bid and they host a cupcake in the first round.

KUlawJack
October 16th, 2015, 02:32 AM

You know Sheahon Zenger at KU? He's the most ignorant AD in America. Flew all over country to find Charlie Weis to hire him. Weis! Good thing KU basketball runs itself or I would be terrified. ****ing grape.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 06:54 AM
You know Sheahon Zenger at KU? He's the most ignorant AD in America. Flew all over country to find Charlie Weis to hire him. Weis! Good thing KU basketball runs itself or I would be terrified. ****ing grape.
I want Charlie Wies's agent. I'm not sure I can completely blame KU for him...

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/05/by_december_2016_charlie_weis.html
By December 2016 Charlie Weis will have been paid almost $24.6 million not to coach college football
The best sports agent is America might be Bob LaMonte in Reno, Nevada.
Because according to his website, Professional Sports Representation Inc., he represents Charlie Weis.
Weis parlayed three years as the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator and accompanying Super Bowl rings into almost $24.6 million in contract buyouts after being fired as head coach by Notre Dame in 2009 and by Kansas in 2014.
And that's not even counting the $100,000 signing bonus he received when signed a three-year deal as Florida's offensive coordinator in 2011, coaching one season before taking the Kansas job.
According to a Fox Sports story (http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/notre-dame-fighting-irish-charlie-weis-highest-paid-coach-brian-kelly-money-051915), Weis, who was fired at Notre Dame after five seasons (2005-09) with a mediocre record of 35-27, received $2.054.744 from the university last season. He received an initial payment of $6.6 million when Notre Dame fired him. His payments finally end in November.
Notre Dame's huge mistake was awarding Weis with a 10-year contract (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2207478) after the Fighting Irish started 5-2 seven games into Weis' first season in 2005. Weis had originally signed a six-year deal through 2010.
LaMonte correctly said when Weis signed the 10-year contract, "Charlie Weis doesn't own the Golden Dome, but he has the keys to it for the next 11 years."
Compared to the Notre Dame deal, Kansas shouldn't feel too bad with its $5.625 million (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/28/charlie-weis-has-decided-financial-advantage-in-buyout-money/)it is paying Weis through December 2016.
He's collecting that after being fired by the Jayhawks for his 6-22 record in two seasons (2012 and 2013) including a 1-18 record in the Big 12.
Weis, 59, is currently out of coaching. Guess he's not in a hurry anytime soon to get a job. Not that he really needs one.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 06:55 AM
First, our athletic director wanted to be fbs a decade ago, but two different presidents have refused to take it seriously. The sun belt was refused by our current president and considering the dumpster fire that it is, I'm beginning to understand why in hindsight.
The coa thing is the president too. He's a lawyer standing on his higher Ed elitist soap box and getting his name out there, using our school as his platform.
Now for the two botched bids in 04 and 11. That's on our cheap vp of finance. Everyone knows how he is so frugal it's almost sad. He did some formula that told him to bid a ridiculously low amount and then Eku gets help from the ovc with their bid and we're going to Richmond freakin Kentucky.
Finally, last year we had to bid as high as we did because they realized the reality of Liberty making the playoffs. I don't know if you know, but the Falwells, well they're kind loaded. Very loaded. Selling online degrees to anyone that can click submit is a huge money maker and Liberty is right up there with ecpi and devry.
If we hadn't been extremely aggressive in our bid, we would've been playing in Lynchburg and 0-3 in home playoff bids in the last decade. They certainly overspent, but the Fcs playoffs regionalization is f'in bs to begin with and so is the entire bidding process.

Schools like Montana get to bid the bare minimum while San Diego submits no bid and they host a cupcake in the first round.
I'll have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure JMU doubled, if not more, anyone else's bid.

You don't find out who you are playing and then bid. You bid weeks before the playoffs. That didn't happen because he was scared of Liberty's bid.

clenz
October 16th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Also...He's bad at math, and understanding playoff attendance

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/article_f363dece-190d-5352-abc0-b33017fa8ae4.html

The budget JMU submitted to the NCAA called for it to sell 23,520 tickets to the game, a target it knew it would be unlikely to reach the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when it’s difficult to draw large crowds.

That number of ticket sales would have generated an estimated $420,100 in revenue. JMU budgeted $152,330 for operating costs for the game, an additional expenditure on top of the $200,667.50 bid.

Instead, JMU announced a crowd of 13,040 for the Liberty game, including the student tickets the school paid for itself, creating a shortfall of more than $130,000.

So he bid for 23,500 attendance but ADMITS to know they wouldn't draw that. He also then bought every student ticket, putting them in an even bigger starting hole...

So...

jmufan999
October 16th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Also...He's bad at math, and understanding playoff attendance

So he bid for 23,500 attendance but ADMITS to know they wouldn't draw that. He also then bought every student ticket, putting them in an even bigger starting hole...

So...

a.) why do you care?
b.) what does any of this have to do with Gameday potentially coming to JMU?

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I'll have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure JMU doubled, if not more, anyone else's bid.

You don't find out who you are playing and then bid. You bid weeks before the playoffs. That didn't happen because he was scared of Liberty's bid.
Lynchburg is about 1-1.5 hours away from harrisonburg. Our AD and VP realized they're a real at-large candidate, let alone that they'd beat a crappy Coastal team that goes undefeated against a bunch of nobodies and loses to Liberty in their one meaningful game all season. They also realized that Liberty wants a home playoff game and would easily bid 100k if not 150k+.
Why wouldn't they bid high, realizing who they very likely would be paired against and bid against? You're really crapping on them for being strategic and not wanting to go 0-3 in bidding opportunities, further pissing off the fan bases and donors?
I for one applaud their foresight and aggressiveness. What's unfortunate is that we were subject to an FOIA request that revealed the bid figure. Meanwhile a private college like Liberty doesn't have to worry about the FOIA and gets to not publicly reveal their bid. That right there is the BS.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Lehigh/Fordham is that weekend. Just sayin'.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 16th, 2015, 10:00 AM
clenz - I normally agree with most of your posts, but in this case regarding JMU and its struggles to get homefield for the playoffs, Rootin' is right on target. We had heard anecdotally that Liberty indeed put in a very aggressive bid as well. There was a lot of chatter about the bids in that week of the bid submission. The loser? NCAA - they could've banked both if not for regionalization. I'd probably root more for Liberty, but I don't want them remotely in the playoff picture if at possible (SO THANK YOU SIU & G-WEBB!!!).

Anyway, as previously explained, our AD is very much handcuffed by the VP of finance and the President of the University. He takes the heat - deservedly so - for many mistakes the school has made in terms of athletics over the past 20 or so years. Our fans are often crying for a new AD, but Jeff Bourne has good connections. The game vs. WV at FedEx and getting on VT's schedule last minute (which ended up being our signature 21-16 win) shows his pull when allowed to maneuver. So you have to dig deeper than skin deep to reveal how wacko crazy the JMU admin is regarding its progress on the athletics front. We can build venues like crazy, and we're even starting a new first-class arena for basketball as soon as donations hit the $3 million mark (nearly there). But winning the politics/PR game? JMU is notoriously bad, particularly considering the athletics budget for JMU vs. the vast majority of FCS schools.

The one thing our fan base is good at is taking to the streets via social media. It's a saving grace that may indeed help influence getting ESPN GameDay on campus next weekend. I think ESPN was quite impressed with the school when they did the Vad Lee Big Man on Campus piece, and with producer-alum, we are sitting in as good a position as JMU will be in as a FCS school to getting Lee Corso & Co. to broadcast from the Friendly City.

As a fan base, I'd say we all will believe when we see it, but it feels like the forces in the football universe are working in our favor. I remember a similar excitement leading up to the announcement of a neutral location game vs. WVU in a NFL stadium. Fingers crossed!

Big_Fan
October 16th, 2015, 12:03 PM
EKU @ Jax St Oct 31!

I realize that you probably posted that in jest... but it isn't bad.

The only FBS game of note that day is Florida / Georgia. UGA is unranked, and Florida will likely be limping in with a bad loss to LSU. Considering UF lost their QB for the season, they may get destroyed by LSU.

If JSU and EKU both take care of business over the next two weeks, it will be a top 10 vs #1 game. With Gameday on campus, JSU would pack the stadium to its 24k capacity, and in the football crazed state of Alabama, the turnout for Gameday would be as large as any FBS program.

The campus is gorgeous, and the JSU quad is large, and would be a great spot for a Gameday set.

It is unlikely... but hey, JSU is ranked #1 in Stats...

BisonTru
October 16th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I realize that you probably posted that in jest... but it isn't bad.

The only FBS game of note that day is Florida / Georgia. UGA is unranked, and Florida will likely be limping in with a bad loss to LSU. Considering UF lost their QB for the season, they make get destroyed by LSU.

If JSU and EKU both take care of business over the next two weeks, it will be a top 10 vs #1 game. With Gameday on campus, JSU would pack the stadium to its 24k capacity, and in the football crazed state of Alabama, the turnout for Gameday would be as large as any FBS program.

The campus is gorgeous, and the JSU quad is large, and would be a great spot for a Gameday set.

It is unlikely... but hey, JSU is ranked #1 in Stats...

Yeah, it's not that crazy of an idea. One thing both JMU and JSU you have over a lot of FCS teams is great fan support. Montana, Liberty could also be put in this category. GD wants an electric crowd. JMU has the SMU upset which is a nice story plus Vad Lee. JSU has the Auburn OT game, another neat story.

The one thing NDSU has on the rest of FCS, is the title run. That's a pretty cool story for your average football fan.

I hope both get the show. Not likely, but possible.

Missingnumber7
October 16th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I think the thing not to be forgotten is that while Sportscenter on the road isn't the prime spotlight that GD is, I thought that there was more focus on NDSU during those 2 hours than there was either time GD was in Fargo.

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Not that it really matters until it's announced, but I never watched the two different NDSU game day broadcasts. How much did they actually talk about the school they were actually at? I saw images of him with the bison head on and they had him standing next to a baby bison, but anything else?

centennial
October 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Not that it really matters until it's announced, but I never watched the two different NDSU game day broadcasts. How much did they actually talk about the school they were actually at? I saw images of him with the bison head on and they had him standing next to a baby bison, but anything else?
Had an interview or 2, and a nice segment. Mostly BCS talk other than that. Still huge promotion, especially since we had a lot of interesting posters.

BisonTru
October 16th, 2015, 03:31 PM

I'd say 10-20% of the show is talking about the host. They'll most likely do a story on Vad Lee and the numbers he's putting up. Talk a little about your FBS win and an interview with your coach and maybe even VL. They'll probably also find some unique story about JMU, you'd have a much better idea about that than I would.

And going off what MN7 posted, it's very likely you get ESPN on the road if GD passes and they talked about the host a fair amount as well. Only problem is its on when most people are sleeping. Not as early for you eastern folks, tho.

The most watched and entertaining bit of GD is Corso's pick at the end. And if you get them there, it's neat to see your mascot on a highly watched bit. Of course he might pick the Spiders that's a more unique mascot, IMO.

They also pick a guest picker. Do you guys have any famous alums?

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I'd say 10-20% of the show is talking about the host. They'll most likely do a story on Vad Lee and the numbers he's putting up. Talk a little about your FBS win and an interview with your coach and maybe even VL. They'll probably also find some unique story about JMU, you'd have a much better idea about that than I would.

And going off what MN7 posted, it's very likely you get ESPN on the road if GD passes and they talked about the host a fair amount as well. Only problem is its on when most people are sleeping. Not as early for you eastern folks, tho.

The most watched and entertaining bit of GD is Corso's pick at the end. And if you get them there, it's neat to see your mascot on a highly watched bit. Of course he might pick the Spiders that's a more unique mascot, IMO.

They also pick a guest picker. Do you guys have any famous alums?
First off, I would hope Lee Corso knows better than to pick the Spiders. He will be booed all the way out of Harrisonburg if he picks our most hated rival.
Here's two reasons why he wouldn't.
1) it's an fcs matchup and lets be honest, he and the talking heads up there have done absolutely zero research. The talking points they mention are on cards or prompt screens right in front of them typed up by some intern. He will pick the home team to make them happy, and simply because he is too lazy to really examine who truly has the edge in this FCS matchup.
2) on paper, as long as we don't lose to elon this weekend (extremely unlikely), we are the best team statistically. We will be favored against UR and espn knows that.

Now as to who are famous alums, the three most relevant to a gameday broadcast would be recent NFL HOF inductee Charles Haley, famous Washington Redskin Gary Clark and sporstcenter anchor Lindsay Czarniak. If they had Charles and Lindsay there, I must just die from happiness.

gumby013
October 16th, 2015, 03:49 PM
First off, I would hope Lee Corso knows better than to pick the Spiders. He will be booed all the way out of Harrisonburg if he picks our most hated rival.
1) it's an fcs matchup and lets be honest, he and the talking heads up there have done absolutely zero research. The talking points they mention are on cards or prompt screens right in front of them typed up by some intern. He will pick the home team to make them happy, and simply because he is too lazy to really examine who truly has the edge in this FCS matchup.
2) on paper, as long as we don't lose to elon this weekend (extremely unlikely), we are the best team statistically. We will be favored against UR and espn knows that.

Now as to who are famous alums, the three most relevant to a gameday broadcast would be recent NFL HOF inductee Charles Haley, famous Washington Redskin Gary Clark and sporstcenter anchor Lindsay Czarniak. If they had Charles and Lindsay there, I must just die from happiness.

Herbie and Rece Davis will do their research. Desmond and Corso can't really be bothered with learning anything new.

BisonTru
October 16th, 2015, 03:52 PM

Herbstreit will pick you guys, but Corso's pick is more about the entertainment than analysis. He gets booed every where when he doesn't pick the home team. He doesn't care.

I would assume Haley would be their first choice, for guest picker.

paward
October 16th, 2015, 03:56 PM
If it happens and I hope it does. You can bet your candy ash the Scotty McGee touchdown will be shown. That touchdown was important for both teams in 2008. Had it not taken place it would have been a different season for us. Also the fact that homecoming is this match up has not fared well for the home team.

centennial
October 16th, 2015, 03:58 PM

I would take it further. Even if all your FBS matchups go right, you will need to dominate Elon. It cannot be close. Also the fact that SMU isn't good this year might also hurt JMU. Good luck to JMU!

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2015, 04:14 PM
If it happens and I hope it does. You can bet your candy ash the Scotty McGee touchdown will be shown. That touchdown was important for both teams in 2008. Had it not taken place it would have been a different season for us. Also the fact that homecoming is this match up has not fared well for the home team.

Did you remember the 2011 game in harrisonburg? That was a homecoming game and it went just fine.
They won't bring up footage from seven years ago, even if it is a big point in the rivalry. Couple in the fact that it is probably owned by NBC/Comcast and they wouldn't bother to contact them for the rights to show it.

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I would take it further. Even if all your FBS matchups go right, you will need to dominate Elon. It cannot be close. Also the fact that SMU isn't good this year might also hurt JMU. Good luck to JMU!
Yes a domination is needed, but that is what will likely happen. We're at least 31 point favorites on most sites.

paward
October 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Did you remember the 2011 game in harrisonburg? That was a homecoming game and it went just fine.
They won't bring up footage from seven years ago, even if it is a big point in the rivalry. Couple in the fact that it is probably owned by NBC/Comcast and they wouldn't bother to contact them for the rights to show it.

Not saying all homecomings are won by visitors but there was a time it was the norm. When you introduce and to some fans it will be an introduction you would be amazed at the footage they dig up. Whatever the case it will be nice to see this rilvary get national exposure.

JMUNJ08
October 16th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Well I was really close here. Who had Utah vs Cal picked at the beginning of the year?

IBleedYellow
October 17th, 2015, 04:15 AM
Herbie and Rece Davis will do their research. Desmond and Corso can't really be bothered with learning anything new.

Gumby is right on the money here. When we had GD both years, Herbie and then Fowler did a lot of research on NDSU...they will give their due diligence to JMU AND Richmond if they come. Herbie might downtalk the FCS vs FBS games, but then add a caveat that teams like NDSU and JMU put up respectable games, and obviously since they can win them, shouldn't be included in the "bans" he talks about frequently.

penguinpower
October 17th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I think Lee Fitting has already hinted pretty hard that he'd like to bring the show back to Fargo again, so I'd say there's a chance that NDSU hosts again -- as long as the Bison take care of business on the field. And that's not a foregone conclusion!

Other than that, I'd love to see Gameday in Missoula. I can't think of any other current FCS programs that have the historical and current success on the field as well as the current following to make it an exciting event.

Lot of historical relevance in Youngstown. First of all they have 4 national championships. The place is a cradle of coaches. Dantonio, Tressel, Bo Pelini, all of the Stoops brothers, Mangino, Bob Davey and there are way more than that that went through Youngstown. etc.... Hell the penalty flag was invented at Youngstown State, prior to that they used air horns like basketball. The original flag is at YSU and it was red not yellow. The flag is now universally used at all levels of the game. Yes there are other teams besides NDSU that have history.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 17th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Lot of historical relevance in Youngstown. First of all they have 4 national championships. The place is a cradle of coaches. Dantonio, Tressel, Bo Pelini, all of the Stoops brothers, Mangino, Bob Davey and there are way more than that that went through Youngstown. etc.... Hell the penalty flag was invented at Youngstown State, prior to that they used air horns like basketball. The original flag is at YSU and it was red not yellow. The flag is now universally used at all levels of the game. Yes there are other teams besides NDSU that have history.

No arguing that Youngstown has football history but would anyone show up for a GD if it came?

penguinpower
October 17th, 2015, 08:22 AM
No arguing that Youngstown has football history but would anyone show up for a GD if it came?

If the weather was good ��. Many of the fans are skeptical because of how we've been a bubble team since 2005 and only entry to playoffs was 2006 (and we made it to the semifinals that year). If we continue to win I think they will come back but will always fight HS football. GameDay would be a huge community event and they would sell out and go out of their way to be great hosts.

penguinpower
October 17th, 2015, 08:25 AM
An one more thing.....they would give them some of the best Italian food outside of NYC.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 17th, 2015, 08:26 AM
If the weather was good ��. Many of the fans are skeptical because of how we've been a bubble team since 2005 and only entry to playoffs was 2006 (and we made it to the semifinals that year). If we continue to win I think they will come back but will always fight HS football. GameDay would be a huge community event and they would sell out and go out of their way to be great hosts.

Is Massillon still a power in HS football in Ohio? In their class?

I graduated in '87 and remember they were a national power in HS football.

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2015, 09:23 AM

It's like 3 weeks before end of season when bids are due. At that time, schools have good sense of if they're on the bubble or not, and with reasonable accuracy look to who in bus distance (300 miles) that likely also bidding. Teams west of MS River will be flying wherever, and likely against other western teams. If your school in in top 10 for attendence good chance to have winning bid. But what happens when 2 top attendence schools go for same bid? Ncaa loves ya😆

penguinpower
October 17th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Is Massillon still a power in HS football in Ohio? In their class?

I graduated in '87 and remember they were a national power in HS football.

Yes. Still one of them.

JMUNJ08
October 17th, 2015, 05:57 PM
bump! Memphis over Ole Miss and 'Bama up 2 TDs on Texas A&M in the 4th. Could there really be no appealing FBS game next week? JMU vs Richmond looking stronger after they clobbered inferior opp this week

Missingnumber7
October 19th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Congrats to JMU...good host for Gameday!!!