PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota to Missouri Valley?

SUUTbird
August 22nd, 2015, 05:13 AM
Hello everyone, been a long time since I've posted on here and very happy and glad to be able to discuss FCS football and look forward to the upcoming season. Now I am somewhat curious as to what may happen with University of North Dakota and its current membership in the Big Sky. Back when the Missouri Valley and Big Sky were looking to expand North Dakota was overlooked by the Missouri Valley due partly because of their nickname/mascot issues at the time. Now that it seems to be getting resolved do you think there's a chance that North Dakota may try to leave for the Missouri Valley Conference? Just curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Penguin Nation
August 22nd, 2015, 06:48 AM
It makes sense in terms of travel/regional rivalries/logistics, and it would give USD a conference game they could win. I would also add a team in the east (maybe poach EKU or EIU.....or Akron?) and make an Eastern and Western division.

Seems like for UND, there is no downside...except for the in-conference beatings that will ensue.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2015, 07:05 AM
It makes sense in terms of travel/regional rivalries/logistics, and it would give USD a conference game they could win. I would also add a team in the east (maybe poach EKU or EIU.....or Akron?) and make an Eastern and Western division.

Seems like for UND, there is no downside...except for the in-conference beatings that will ensue.

Add UND and exit YSU!

UND's coach now is a good one and will get them back to being a consistently good team. The former coach was a complete joke and set the team back a few years. Travel/geography is makes a lot of sense.

Penguin Nation
August 22nd, 2015, 07:32 AM
Add UND and exit YSU!

I understand your fear of Bo Pelini. It's normal. Find your safe place and all will be well.

Losing UND would give the BSC even numbers. Seems like a no-brainer.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2015, 07:33 AM
UND thinks being in the Big Sky means something. They won't move.

Laker
August 22nd, 2015, 07:39 AM
I understand your fear of Bo Pelini. It's normal. Find your safe place and all will be well.

http://i.imgur.com/QdtBNgo.png

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2015, 08:04 AM

YSU will not do squat under Pellini. Under Wolford, YSU folded like a cheap chair and will again also this year.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/QdtBNgo.png

Thanks Laker!!!

Hilarious!!!!!!

Penguin Nation
August 22nd, 2015, 08:12 AM
YSU will not do squat under Pellini. Under Wolford, YSU folded like a cheap chair and will again also this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Laker!!!

Hilarious!!!!!!

That pic is funny as hell.

The Pelini approach has been way different than the Wolford approach. Wolford wore the players into the ground and they quit on him. The players are now saying that they love the game again. Also, last season was a young team with few losses to graduation...the most significant being our special teams. How will this translate on the field? Time will tell, but my hunch is that there will be a significant improvement, especially defensively, this season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2015, 08:35 AM
That pic is funny as hell.

The Pelini approach has been way different than the Wolford approach. Wolford wore the players into the ground and they quit on him. The players are now saying that they love the game again. Also, last season was a young team with few losses to graduation...the most significant being our special teams. How will this translate on the field? Time will tell, but my hunch is that there will be a significant improvement, especially defensively, this season.

Maybe so but IMO, Pellini will be gone in a few years or sooner. Heck, he's getting paid from Nebraska still.

I have my doubts but we'll see.

344Johnson
August 22nd, 2015, 09:34 AM
Maybe so but IMO, Pellini will be gone in a few years or sooner. Heck, he's getting paid from Nebraska still.

I have my doubts but we'll see.

Most coaches don't stick around forever you know.

SUUTbird
August 22nd, 2015, 09:40 AM
UND's coach now is a good one and will get them back to being a consistently good team. The former coach was a complete joke and set the team back a few years. Travel/geography is makes a lot of sense.

Agree, UND already has one of the best defenses in the Big Sky and they have gotten better every single year. And I personally think they are happy in the Big Sky Conference and actually like them in the conference however just curious if the Missouri Valley would at all be interested in bringing them into the fold since their nickname issue was resolved, if I remember correctly that's the only thing that kept them out of the conference. Also it would give both conferences 12 teams which could be split into divisions, guaranteeing eight conference games (5 in their Division and 3 from the other) which leaves room for 3 non-conference games like other FCS foes or money games.

centennial
August 22nd, 2015, 11:31 AM
UND can stay in the Big Sky. They have no reason to become the new South Dakota, plus the Summit even though a 1 bid is also a significant jump from the Big Sky.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone, been a long time since I've posted on here and very happy and glad to be able to discuss FCS football and look forward to the upcoming season. Now I am somewhat curious as to what may happen with University of North Dakota and its current membership in the Big Sky. Back when the Missouri Valley and Big Sky were looking to expand North Dakota was overlooked by the Missouri Valley due partly because of their nickname/mascot issues at the time. Now that it seems to be getting resolved do you think there's a chance that North Dakota may try to leave for the Missouri Valley Conference? Just curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/b7f9adfed95bc9c2ec791f21c4832951/tumblr_mpxzy0KiZx1rgewb2o3_250.gif

bisonguy
August 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
http://33.media.tumblr.com/b7f9adfed95bc9c2ec791f21c4832951/tumblr_mpxzy0KiZx1rgewb2o3_250.gif

Chea, with all of the "we want no nickname for a nickname" protests and "fire the university president" rallies with the rather obvious intent of bringing back their precious nickname, it ain't close to over.

Jackal
August 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Awesome

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2015, 06:34 PM
Most coaches don't stick around forever you know.

Really Capt Obvious!

NY Crusader 2010
August 22nd, 2015, 07:11 PM
Any more talks about Youngstown to the CAA? Eastern Ohio is a lot closer to the eastern seaboard than a lot of people think...

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2015, 07:21 PM
Any more talks about Youngstown to the CAA? Eastern Ohio is a lot closer to the eastern seaboard than a lot of people think...

Hell, they should try the NEC. At least they'd win it once in a while.

RootinFerDukes
August 22nd, 2015, 07:57 PM

If the CAA were to add any team within reasonable geography, Youngstown should be near the top of the list.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
If the CAA were to add any team within reasonable geography, Youngstown should be near the top of the list.

YSU is a better fit compared to Elon.....don't you think?

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
UND on their own? Absoluetely not with many expletives for emphasis added before that.
UND and say EIU or Murray State? I'll listen but I'm still 70/30 against it
UND in and YSU out? I'm 50/50 leaning towards yes with even a small amount of sound reasoning
YSU out on their own? I'm for it.

BisonFan02
August 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
UND on their own? Absoluetely not with many expletives for emphasis added before that.
UND and say EIU or Murray State? I'll listen but I'm still 70/30 against it
UND in and YSU out? I'm 50/50 leaning towards yes with even a small amount of sound reasoning
YSU out on their own? I'm for it.

My version:

UND and say EIU or Murray State? See above....
UND in and YSU plus 1 other team out? 100% yes
YSU out on their own? I'm for it

If it strengthens the Summit...and/or returns the MVFC to a balanced schedule...count me in.

The "1 other team out" could be a mix of Missouri St. joining the Sunbelt or ISU-b deciding scholly football isn't for them...etc.

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 08:18 PM
My version:

UND and say EIU or Murray State? See above....
UND in and YSU plus 1 other team out? 100% yes
YSU out on their own? I'm for it

If it strengthens the Summit...and/or returns the MVFC to a balanced schedule...count me in.

The "1 other team out" could be a mix of Missouri St. joining the Sunbelt or ISU-b deciding scholly football isn't for them...etc.I'm with you on the balanced schedule, the reality is the MVFC likely isn't going to anything smaller than it's at now if they don't have too. If teams are going to be added it's best we add a middle of the road team and crap at the bottom. Get teams that will likely be W's for NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISUr and hopefully SIU. Make it like the Big Sky schedule. The top 3 or 4 teams don't play everyone else in the top 3 or 4. They get 2, maybe 3, of them. Then 2 or 3 middle and 2 or 3 bottom. It's all about creating separation between the top 4 or 5, the next group of 3 or 4 and then the rest in the Big Sky, and so far it's working perfectly.

The MVFC needs that same thing to continue to get 3+ bids every single year.

FargoBison
August 22nd, 2015, 08:30 PM

Their nickname has nothing to do with why the MVFC never approached them.

Certain members in the eastern MVFC do not want to charter another flight to the Dakota's. You would need to add another member to balance it out or somebody would have to leave and even then depending on who left it wouldn't be a guarantee that they were added. Most likely the league would just go back to the full round robin.

BisonBacker
August 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
I'm not in favor of making the conference bigger just to get a split schedule. I don't like the idea of a split conference.

Bisonoline
August 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
I'm not in favor of making the conference bigger just to get a split schedule. I don't like the idea of a split conference.

I hate a split conference.

Rabbit74
August 22nd, 2015, 10:50 PM
the nickname issue kept UND out of the Summit. That in turn meant they were never considered for the MVFC

centennial
August 22nd, 2015, 10:59 PM
the nickname issue kept UND out of the Summit. That in turn meant they were never considered for the MVFC
SDSU got NDSU in. MVFC isn't going to add UND. They just aren't a fit. Hell NDSU is an outlier as well.

RootinFerDukes
August 22nd, 2015, 11:06 PM
YSU is a better fit compared to Elon.....don't you think?

Without question. I don't think there was a single fan of a CAA school that honestly thought that elon was a good athletic addition. They're a great school, but not much of a football program.
By the point of adding elon, the CAA was following the sun belt mentality of taking any willing, warm body.

SDFS
August 22nd, 2015, 11:27 PM

At first,UND was kept out because of the nickname. But, UND was either retiring the nameor had recently retired the name. So, it was not an issue at the end. When UNDand USD could not get into the MVFC as a pair. UND and USD were both taking offfor the Big Sky because both UND and USD needed a football home. But, somehowUSD ended up with an invite to the MVFC at the last minute as they werepreparing to announce that they planned to join the Big Sky. So, USD stayed inthe Summit. The Summit League had a scheduled visit to Grand Forks a couple ofdays later and UND simply cancelled the visit and accepted the invite into theBig Sky.

NY Crusader 2010
August 22nd, 2015, 11:38 PM
Without question. I don't think there was a single fan of a CAA school that honestly thought that elon was a good athletic addition. They're a great school, but not much of a football program.
By the point of adding elon, the CAA was following the sun belt mentality of taking any willing, warm body.

Elon was added to appease UNC Wilmington on the southern frontier of the CAA

F'N Hawks
August 23rd, 2015, 01:14 PM

Uhhh no. Ol' Joe is running that baby into the ground.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 23rd, 2015, 01:25 PM
At first,UND was kept out because of the nickname. But, UND was either retiring the nameor had recently retired the name. So, it was not an issue at the end. When UNDand USD could not get into the MVFC as a pair. UND and USD were both taking offfor the Big Sky because both UND and USD needed a football home. But, somehowUSD ended up with an invite to the MVFC at the last minute as they werepreparing to announce that they planned to join the Big Sky. So, USD stayed inthe Summit. The Summit League had a scheduled visit to Grand Forks a couple ofdays later and UND simply cancelled the visit and accepted the invite into theBig Sky.
UND hasn't retired the name. LOL. Check out the picture.

http://www.wday.com/news/north-dakota/3823478-grand-forks-protesters-want-robert-kelley-out-president-north-dakota

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2015, 01:25 PM
Uhhh no. Ol' Joe is running that baby into the ground.

Joe Glenn has a better resume than anyone who has ever set foot in the Hyslop Sports Center.

F'N Hawks
August 23rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Joe Glenn has a better resume than anyone who has ever set foot in the Hyslop Sports Center.

You need to look a little deeper, bro. That resume gets a little fugly after 2001. Its currently 2015.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
You need to look a little deeper, bro. That resume gets a little fugly after 2001. Its currently 2015.

Yeah? When did Bubba win his last national championship? Never is certainly a lot longer ago than 2001.

F'N Hawks
August 23rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Yeah? When did Bubba win his last national championship? Never is certainly a lot longer ago than 2001.

You are speaking surface level stuff without even thinking. He will retire before they get anything accomplished and then the next guy will have to start from scratch, again. The hire was questioned by everyone I spoke to and that includes several assistants in the MVFC and Big Sky. Also, they had 3 commitments at the time of the Coaches Convention last winter.

There is really nothing to argue, the facts back me up. He has been there for 3 full seasons now and they haven't gotten any better.

centennial
August 23rd, 2015, 01:50 PM
You are speaking surface level stuff without even thinking. He will retire before they get anything accomplished and then the next guy will have to start from scratch, again. The hire was questioned by everyone I spoke to and that includes several assistants in the MVFC and Big Sky. Also, they had 3 commitments at the time of the Coaches Convention last winter.

There is really nothing to argue, the facts back me up. He has been there for 3 full seasons now and they haven't gotten any better.
The valley is deep. Joe isn't at Montana anymore, he is at a serious recruiting disadvantage. Add to that, he does things the right way. Either they change their philosophy or they scrape the bottom of the barrel. Outside of that SD would be a solid team in the Big Sky. They proved that last year. I am not even sure ND would beat SD(0-8), Missouri State(1-7) is quite a jump from the level ND plays. That was evident when last year they blanked you out 38-0.

F'N Hawks
August 23rd, 2015, 01:55 PM
The valley is deep. Joe isn't at Montana anymore, he is at a serious recruiting disadvantage. Add to that, he does things the right way. Either they change their philosophy or they scrape the bottom of the barrel. Outside of that SD would be a solid team in the Big Sky. They proved that last year. I am not even sure ND would beat SD(0-8), Missouri State(1-7) is quite a jump from the level ND plays. That was evident when last year they blanked you out 38-0.

Ok, he is doing a really good job. I hope he continues.

How exactly is he doing things "the right way?" Interested in what you know about how they are running the program now.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2015, 02:13 PM

How exactly is he doing things "the right way?" Interested in what you know about how they are running the program now.

You ever been to Vermillion? Urban ****ing Meyer couldn't recruit there.

centennial
August 23rd, 2015, 02:40 PM

SD has 6 transfers. 1 is from the FCS, rest are from D II and below. Notice there aren't any FBS transfers. As a comparison SIU has 22- many from FBS, NDSU has 5- 1 from FBS, UNI has 9. He has no reliance on transfers, kids aren't getting in trouble and maintain their grades- for me that is the "right way".

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2015, 02:50 PM

I agree that Glenn has not got the job done at USD and IMO, he will not in the future either. SD is fully funded at 63 schollies so they are not behind the others in the Valley.

USD had a way better D2 resume compared to SDSU. They were in the title game in '86. But SDSU has been a much better FCS program. Granted, they have a few years on USD but they have done something right at the FCS level.

3-21 is pretty pathetic in conference record. You're right that Glenn hasn't gotten it done.

clenz
August 23rd, 2015, 03:06 PM
I "bash" USD as much, or more, than anyone else but for UND fans to think they would be any different than USD in the MVFC the last few years is just...I mean...laughable.

Let's look at UND's wins last season

Northern Colorado - would finish behind USD for last place and it's not close
Northern Arizona - USD also beat
Portland State - meh
Stony Brook - bottom 3rd of the CAA...only wins were over bottom 3rd CAA teams
Robert Morris - NEC team at 40 scholarship

Oh...and they got backsides pushed in by Missouri State...who...well...only 1 MVFC win - USD...still a more competitive game than UND - and only other wins were bottom 3rd SLC teams and UND

USD and UND can argue over who would finish last and who would finish second to last. The reality they are both light years away form competing for anything above that on any kind of even semi regular basis

F'N Hawks
August 23rd, 2015, 03:35 PM
I "bash" USD as much, or more, than anyone else but for UND fans to think they would be any different than USD in the MVFC the last few years is just...I mean...laughable.

Let's look at UND's wins last season

Northern Colorado - would finish behind USD for last place and it's not close
Northern Arizona - USD also beat
Portland State - meh
Stony Brook - bottom 3rd of the CAA...only wins were over bottom 3rd CAA teams
Robert Morris - NEC team at 40 scholarship

Oh...and they got backsides pushed in by Missouri State...who...well...only 1 MVFC win - USD...still a more competitive game than UND - and only other wins were bottom 3rd SLC teams and UND

USD and UND can argue over who would finish last and who would finish second to last. The reality they are both light years away form competing for anything above that on any kind of even semi regular basis
The two situations are really similar too, right? UND had first year staff with a horrible roster and massive turnover went 5-7. Almost like they got a bit better as season went on. Crazy. But you would already know cause you watched so many UND games.

BTW, my earlier comments were about USD and their state. Had nothing to do with UND and where they are at. I can do that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2015, 03:49 PM
The two situations are really similar too, right? UND had first year staff with a horrible roster and massive turnover went 5-7. Almost like they got a bit better as season went on. Crazy. But you would already know cause you watched so many UND games.

BTW, my earlier comments were about USD and their state. Had nothing to do with UND and where they are at. I can do that.

I am not a UND supporter so this is coming from a Bison fan:

Bubba will bring UND back to respectability. He loves to run the ball and play very good defense. He is getting his defense there already and the offense is still a "work in progress". His defense will have success in the BSC because he employs the base 3-4 with very athletic LBs that can cover the pass. IIRC, the UND defense was #1 in the Big Sky at the end of the year. I'm sure he is going to mold his offense like it use to be in its D2 power days where it had a power running game and threw the ball off of that.

Now can he get it done?

The defense is getting there for sure and will probably get better. More than likely they will be the best defense in the BSC this year again.

Now he needs to get an offense that can complement the defense by sustaining drives and scoring.

The Wyoming game will be interesting. The Bison will run some of the same type of sets so UND will get to see that before the Bison game.

Herder
August 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM
Let's be a little honest here. The MVFC was the #1 ranked FCS conference last year, while the Big Sky was #6 according to the sagarin ratings. UND has a lot lower bar to get over than USD to get wins. There just aren't many wins in the MVFC, while I see quite a few in the BSC.

Missingnumber7
August 23rd, 2015, 10:19 PM
I am still not convinced that Bubba ball is going to be the big change up north. Its one thing to go .500...especially with the schedule they played last year, but lets something with consistency. With 2 of the 5 wins being non/conf fluff games that were nailbiters (16-13 and 13-3) and those are games that should be won at home everytime you play them. Especially by a team with a full 63 schollies. And it doesn't matter how massive the turnover from preseason or how horrible the roster is.

SDFS
August 23rd, 2015, 11:38 PM
UND hasn't retired the name. LOL. Check out the picture.

http://www.wday.com/news/north-dakota/3823478-grand-forks-protesters-want-robert-kelley-out-president-north-dakota

UND has retired the Fighting Sioux nickname. The protester want "North Dakota" to be an option this fall when they selected a new nickname.

BisonFan02
August 23rd, 2015, 11:46 PM
UND has retired the Fighting Sioux nickname. The protester want "North Dakota" to be an option this fall when they selected a new nickname.

Why do you suppose that is? Aren't you guys already "ND" today? How's that working out?

SUUTbird
August 24th, 2015, 01:22 AM

Somewhat of an exaggeration the Big Sky Conference is not that far behind the Missouri Valley in terms of competitiveness as you're making it out to be.

clenz
August 24th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Somewhat of an exaggeration the Big Sky Conference is not that far behind the Missouri Valley in terms of competitiveness as you're making it out to be.
At the top 3. Maybe 4, teams? Agree

After that? MASSIVE drop

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
August 24th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Right, that's why all the protesters are wearing their North Dakota gear!xlolx

REALBird
August 24th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Why add UND, other than just to say the MVFC added another regional team? Meh.

I'm with Clenz and his thoughts about UND alone, adding an EIU or Murray St with them.

But honestly, If this meat grinder is going to get any bloodier. I don't think EIU wants any part of it.

I'd be more partial to adding Eastern Kentucky and Central Arkansas. If everyone is still intent on booting YSU. Well then maybe UND could be that replacement team.

clenz
August 24th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Why add UND, other than just to say the MVFC added another regional team? Meh.

I'm with Clenz and his thoughts about UND alone, adding an EIU or Murray St with them.

But honestly, If this meat grinder is going to get any bloodier. I don't think EIU wants any part of it.

I'd be more partial to adding Eastern Kentucky and Central Arkansas. If everyone is still intent on booting YSU. Well then maybe UND could be that replacement team.
EIU left the MVFC because they couldn't compete. UCA seems to like the SLC and it seems like a good fit for them, though I wouldn't hate having them.

The best bet for UND came and went with UAB not joining the MVC. Another school would have been needed and Murray State may have been able to get into the MVC and bring football along.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Who says UND would go anyway? Like I said, they think being in the Big Sky means something.

Missingnumber7
August 24th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Who says UND would go anyway? Like I said, they think being in the Big Sky means something.

They have one conference for everything but baseball and hockey.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM
They have one conference for everything but baseball and hockey.

I fail to see the advantage of that.

clenz
August 24th, 2015, 10:22 AM
That's on you.

If the MVFC was the same as the MVC (Bradley, Drake, WSU, Evansville all were MVFC schools) that would be simply magical.

It intensifies rivalries. There's a reason that football only leagues don't exist above the FCS

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 10:34 AM
That's on you.

If the MVFC was the same as the MVC (Bradley, Drake, WSU, Evansville all were MVFC schools) that would be simply magical.

It intensifies rivalries. There's a reason that football only leagues don't exist above the FCS

Well of course that would be magical, none of them would invest enough in football and you would once again be the top dog. Not coincidentally, the MVC would be among the worst football conferences in the country.

The MVFC is strong because it has football schools who care about football. The Big Sky is weak because it is bloated and full of schools that give zero ****s about football.

IBleedYellow
August 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
There is zero incentive to add a school that has football as an afterthought in a football exclusive conference.

Especially a program that really didn't do anything in D2 until after NDSU left for FCS and has done nothing in the FCS to prove they belong.

If they Valley drops YSU for UND it's a very large loss, IMO. No matter how little I enjoy going all the way our to YSU, at least they want to be competitive and field a football team that's worth playing.

UND only cares about beating NDSU, after that they couldn't care at all about football once the puck drops.

Sycamore62
August 24th, 2015, 11:34 AM
EIU left the MVFC because they couldn't compete. UCA seems to like the SLC and it seems like a good fit for them, though I wouldn't hate having them.

The best bet for UND came and went with UAB not joining the MVC. Another school would have been needed and Murray State may have been able to get into the MVC and bring football along.

EIU left because the OVC wouldnt let them join (from the mid-continent) in all sports but football. They won the Gateway that year. I remember it well watching it from the field.

Missingnumber7
August 24th, 2015, 12:15 PM

You don't see the difference at all sports events when NDSU plays the likes of SDSU, USD and Western, vs the rest of the Summit...Go to a few conference hoops games... there is a difference in the games where there is a football alignment, at least from the fan perspective there is.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 12:16 PM
You don't see the difference at all sports events when NDSU plays the likes of SDSU, USD and Western, vs the rest of the Summit...Go to a few conference hoops games... there is a difference in the games where there is a football alignment, at least from the fan perspective there is.

Really? How good would the games be against Portland State or Northern Arizona?

The Big Sky would not be an advantage over the MVFC/Summit.

F'N Hawks
August 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM
There is zero incentive to add a school that has football as an afterthought in a football exclusive conference.

Especially a program that really didn't do anything in D2 until after NDSU left for FCS and has done nothing in the FCS to prove they belong.

If they Valley drops YSU for UND it's a very large loss, IMO. No matter how little I enjoy going all the way our to YSU, at least they want to be competitive and field a football team that's worth playing.

UND only cares about beating NDSU, after that they couldn't care at all about football once the puck drops.

Please tell us you aren't talking about UND above? My gawd do you need help.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 12:29 PM

I'm sure that's what all 10 of you football fans think. The rest are just waiting for hockey season.

F'N Hawks
August 24th, 2015, 12:31 PM
I'm sure that's what all 10 of you football fans think. The rest are just waiting for hockey season.

You guys have such hatred for UND it is unhealthy. Not almost, it is. Lighten up and see things for what they are, no matter the school. If somebody in your fanbase is completely wrong you don't have to agree with them.

Take a cue from Bison Fan in NW MN. The guy calls it like he sees it NOW, good and bad.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 12:33 PM
You guys have such hatred for UND it is unhealthy. Not almost, it is. Lighten up and see things for what they are, no matter the school. If somebody in your fanbase is completely wrong you don't have to agree with them.

I don't think you would consider me and IBY as completely lock step in agreement all the time. In this regard, he is spot on.

If you're looking for hatred, you'll find plenty of that on ss.com. As for us, it's mostly dismissal.

F'N Hawks
August 24th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I don't think you would consider me and IBY as completely lock step in agreement all the time. In this regard, he is spot on.

If you're looking for hatred, you'll find plenty of that on ss.com. As for us, it's mostly dismissal.

Dismissal? Don't think that's the term. Carry on with the 52 pages of UND Nickname talk, the 1,065 pages of smack talk about UND on BV, and the 9 pages of Avatar Wager talk about UND on here.

Mostly dismissal, though. xthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
August 24th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Show me anything that disproves what I stated above.

The only people that I talk to that go to UND sporting events only talk about 1. Hockey. 2. Whichever sport they want to see UND beat NDSU in next. 3. More hockey.

You need to face the facts, you're a Hockey school, through and through. Just like NDSU is a football first school, and SDSU is a basketball first school. UNI is the same, basketball first. Delusional to see the facts as they are? Hah. You have the best hockey arena in the world. Tops anything NHL or NCAA equivalent. It's not even close. You're a hockey school.

clenz
August 24th, 2015, 01:26 PM

The only people that I talk to that go to UND sporting events only talk about 1. Hockey. 2. Whichever sport they want to see UND beat NDSU in next. 3. More hockey.

You need to face the facts, you're a Hockey school, through and through. Just like NDSU is a football first school, and SDSU is a basketball first school. UNI is the same, basketball first. Delusional to see the facts as they are? Hah. You have the best hockey arena in the world. Tops anything NHL or NCAA equivalent. It's not even close. You're a hockey school.
Basketball first but football still very much drives the bus when it comes to fundraising and pure number support...its a strange relationship

F'N Hawks
August 24th, 2015, 01:27 PM

True. You are 1 for 1 on what you posted. Keep going now....

IBleedYellow
August 24th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Basketball first but football still very much drives the bus when it comes to fundraising and pure number support...its a strange relationship

Yes, but UNI and UND athletic departments are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

First of all, one is used to winning in more than 1 sport. xthumbsupx

Missingnumber7
August 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Really? How good would the games be against Portland State or Northern Arizona?

The Big Sky would not be an advantage over the MVFC/Summit.

Having all sports, in UN?'s situation all but Hockey and Baseball in one conference is a much larger advantage than sitting in the situation they would be walking into if they were to come to the valley where they would not only have to switch FB conferences, but then they would have to find something for everything except hockey and baseball.

You can't tell me you aren't the least bit confused as to who all our conference teams were when NDSU started in the MVFC/Summitt/WWC or now B12 Wrestling. I'm not talking about quality of games, which I never referenced in my previous post, I'm talking about fan knowledge and naturally grown rivalry over multiple sports. Fans that show up because they want to see the Bison beat the Jacks...and opposed to guessing which collection of vowels they will be playing tonight (IUPUI).

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Having all sports, in UN?'s situation all but Hockey and Baseball in one conference is a much larger advantage than sitting in the situation they would be walking into if they were to come to the valley where they would not only have to switch FB conferences, but then they would have to find something for everything except hockey and baseball.

You can't tell me you aren't the least bit confused as to who all our conference teams were when NDSU started in the MVFC/Summitt/WWC or now B12 Wrestling. I'm not talking about quality of games, which I never referenced in my previous post, I'm talking about fan knowledge and naturally grown rivalry over multiple sports. Fans that show up because they want to see the Bison beat the Jacks...and opposed to guessing which collection of vowels they will be playing tonight (IUPUI).

It will never be as tight as it was with the NCC. That's just the nature of big time sports.

BisonBacker
August 24th, 2015, 02:24 PM

This in a nutshell describes them perfectly.

nodak651
August 24th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Although UND is a hockey only school, I think it is unfair to imply that we don't care about football. We just built a privately financed multi million dollar practice facility for FOOTBALL. Within the next few years we will continue with the construction of phase II, which includes a weight room, locker rooms, and meeting rooms. This shows commitment to football at UND. Fan support has obviously been down because the team has been so pathetic recently - as the team gets better, and it will, fan support will follow. Long term, I think the UND football program will look a lot like UNI football.

Missingnumber7
August 24th, 2015, 02:33 PM
It will never be as tight as it was with the NCC. That's just the nature of big time sports.

Doesn't seem that way in the SEC/B1G/PAC whatever/B12. Seems to me each of those have a set conference and its the same across 90% of all sports, pretty close to what UN? has in the Big Fluff. Just saying. Your NCC comment just made my point...thanks.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Doesn't seem that way in the SEC/B1G/PAC whatever/B12. Seems to me each of those have a set conference and its the same across 90% of all sports, pretty close to what UN? has in the Big Fluff. Just saying. Your NCC comment just made my point...thanks.

Grand Forks, ND is 2,000 miles from San Luis Obispo, CA. Tell me how conference cohesiveness makes those two schools give one **** about one another.

Mattymc727
August 24th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Although UND is a hockey only school, I think it is unfair to imply that we don't care about football. We just built a privately financed multi million dollar practice facility for FOOTBALL. Within the next few years we will continue with the construction of phase II, which includes a weight room, locker rooms, and meeting rooms. This shows commitment to football at UND. Fan support has obviously been down because the team has been so pathetic recently - as the team gets better, and it will, fan support will follow. Long term, I think the UND football program will look a lot like UNI football.

I always looked at UND as similar to UNH. Sure, Hockey is numero uno, but people CRAVE football. Once you start winning, the crowds and fans will come.

F'N Hawks
August 24th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Grand Forks, ND is 2,000 miles from San Luis Obispo, CA. Tell me how conference cohesiveness makes those two schools give one **** about one another.

What an awful example. All you had to do was pick 12 of the 14 schools under the Big Sky umbrella and been right and made your argument. You selected one of the other two. xlolx

FCSwatcher
August 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM

Walk around Fargo during Hockey Season and see how many Bison talk about Sioux Hockey, even wear Sioux Hockey gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 02:55 PM
What an awful example. All you had to do was pick 12 of the 14 schools under the Big Sky umbrella and been right and made your argument. You selected one of the other two. xlolx

Nobody in the Big Sky cares about UND. UND cares about the Big Sky label because they thing it means something.

F'N Hawks
August 24th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Nobody in the Big Sky cares about UND. UND cares about the Big Sky label because they thing it means something.

Nice response. xrolleyesx

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Nice response. xrolleyesx

That's been my thesis for the whole thread.

Missingnumber7
August 24th, 2015, 02:59 PM

If you picked a school that played other than just FB in the Big Fluff I would say that the reason is because you see not only the FB team, but the soccer, VB, Mens and Womens hoops teams, SB teams, Cross Country, and T&F teams. If you are a student worth a damn and go to sports events held in your home town you would start to know some of these teams on a regular basis and maybe even carry over some hatred between sports because of some games. I'm not saying the schools have to give one rats arse about each other, I'm talking atmosphere in the playing facility. A game that people will come to, like the NCC used to be. People are starting to recognize some of the Summit teams that aren't ORU/SDSU/USD/Omaha, but its come along slowly.

Also having everything in one conference eliminates the pay to play issues that we may or may not have to deal with if one of the 3 conferences we participate in chooses not to allow it for those sports.

Kemo
August 24th, 2015, 09:15 PM
This thread has turned into everything I thought it would be after reading the title.

344Johnson
August 24th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Hmm Notre Dame and USC have a nice rivalry, so does Notre Dame and Stanford. It's doable.

jacksfan29
August 24th, 2015, 10:53 PM
How can we even consider adding UND, I thought the the Whioux and the entire Big Sky were all going FBS? Isn't that what I keep reading on SS.com?

nodak651
August 24th, 2015, 11:51 PM
How can we even consider adding UND, I thought the the Whioux and the entire Big Sky were all going FBS? Isn't that what I keep reading on SS.com?

There is literally only one nut job who preaches that. Go back to you little hole.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 12:57 AM
There is literally only one nut job who preaches that. Go back to you little hole.
Who? The Big Sky conference commissioner?

SUUTbird
August 25th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Who? The Big Sky conference commissioner?

Actually the Commissioner has said nothing of the sort, what he was talking about was how the power five conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 & SEC) may go their own way and that the Big Sky Conference belongs with the remaining conferences (American, C-USA, MWC, MAC & Sunbelt) if that does happen. That goes for several other conferences as well at the FCS level or individual teams.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Actually the Commissioner has said nothing of the sort, what he was talking about was how the power five conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 & SEC) may go their own way and that the Big Sky Conference belongs with the remaining conferences (American, C-USA, MWC, MAC & Sunbelt) if that does happen. That goes for several other conferences as well at the FCS level or individual teams.
Doug Fullerton has discussed taking the whole Big Sky conference to FBS, or at least splitting it into two parts -- one FBS and one FCS. He has talked about using the old WAC charter and stepping right into that for the schools that want a move up.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
August 25th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Doug Fullerton has discussed taking the whole Big Sky conference to FBS, or at least splitting it into two parts -- one FBS and one FCS. He has talked about using the old WAC charter and stepping right into that for the schools that want a move up.

He has spoken to what T-Bird said as recently as a month ago at Big Sky media days. Everyone knows there is going to be a split of the P5 and G5 and parts of the FCS could very well be involved.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 09:54 AM
He has spoken to what T-Bird said as recently as a month ago at Big Sky media days. Everyone knows there is going to be a split of the P5 and G5 and parts of the FCS could very well be involved.
And a few years ago he had talked about taking part of or the whole conference up. There's been much discussion of his comments on AGS in past threads.

F'N Hawks
August 25th, 2015, 09:59 AM
And a few years ago he had talked about taking part of or the whole conference up. There's been much discussion of his comments on AGS in past threads.

Correct. But that was a few years ago. Now the P5-G5 thing is taking over.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 09:59 AM

Spoiler alert: The part that would be considered to go up won't include UND.

jacksfan29
August 25th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Well he is your nut job. And it isn't only one. A lot of conversation over there about the whole issue.

Now go back to your little hole... ouch

Bisonator
August 25th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Siouxvolley or star2****ty sure has a grand imagination. It's amazing how he can tie all of his theories together and then bust out a new one in a few weeks and somehow weave it back in seamlessly!xlolx

344Johnson
August 25th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Siouxvolley or star2****ty sure has a grand imagination. It's amazing how he can tie all of his theories together and then bust out a new one in a few weeks and somehow weave it back in seamlessly!xlolx

His latest rantings on Jewish holidays and also on GMO's are amazing.

Hammersmith
August 25th, 2015, 08:43 PM

UND(current)
Men's Hockey - NCHC
Women's Hockey - WCHA
Men's S&D, Women's S&D, Baseball - WAC
Everything else(16 sports) - Big Sky

UND(Summit/MVFC)
Men's Hockey - NCHC
Women's Hockey - WCHA
Football - MVFC
Everything else(18 sports) - Summit

The Summit/MVFC option actually condenses things a tiny bit.

Hammersmith
August 25th, 2015, 09:03 PM

You guys built a beautiful IPF and used FB to push the funding, but it wasn't really built for FB. Let's face it, a lot of your non-revenue facilities were crap or non-existent. Your IPF solves many of those issues in a cost-effective way. SDSU built their IPF for the same reasons.

How was your outdoor track? The NDHSAA wouldn't consider holding State HS T&F there because the track and throwing areas were in such terrible condition. Soccer plays on a mostly unimproved piece of grass in front of the old B&N. No artificial turf option and no second practice pitch(that I know of) to protect the grass playing turf. Indoor track? What indoor track? UND didn't have one suitable for competition. Baseball, softball and golf? Off-campus, off-campus, and inadequate.

While your IPF is nice for FB, it was critical for everything else. You couldn't afford to build or repair separate facilities for all those sports, so a single facility that could do all of it was your only good option. It was sold to your donors on it's football merits, but those were half-truths at best.

I'm not saying it's a bad facility(it's not), or that UND shouldn't have built it(they should've), but be careful making it something it's not.

Bisonoline
August 25th, 2015, 09:12 PM

He throws out so much crappola so if anything he ever says does come true he can play the --I told you so card. Theres a lot of butt hurt in that boy.

clenz
August 25th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Although UND is a hockey only school, I think it is unfair to imply that we don't care about football. We just built a privately financed multi million dollar practice facility for FOOTBALL. Within the next few years we will continue with the construction of phase II, which includes a weight room, locker rooms, and meeting rooms. This shows commitment to football at UND. Fan support has obviously been down because the team has been so pathetic recently - as the team gets better, and it will, fan support will follow. Long term, I think the UND football program will look a lot like UNI football.1. A true football IPF doesn't have the fields endzones cut off because of a track...or not be 100% regulation width. Especially when the weight room, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc.. will be open to all sports to use.

2. Don't you ever use the phrase "I think UND football will look a lot like UNI football" ever again....I mean ever. If UND and UNI start to have identical looking programs something catastrophically bad over 2 or 3 full recruiting cycles with 2 or 3 head coaches in that time, zero stability in the athletic department, etc... Either you believe UND becomes a top 5-10 all time FCS program who is a top 10-15 type team/talent every single year or UNI becomes trash. Neither one is even remotely close to happening, regardless where you practice

No_Skill
August 25th, 2015, 10:09 PM
1. A true football IPF doesn't have the fields endzones cut off because of a track...or not be 100% regulation width. Especially when the weight room, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc.. will be open to all sports to use.

2. Don't you ever use the phrase "I think UND football will look a lot like UNI football" ever again....I mean ever. If UND and UNI start to have identical looking programs something catastrophically bad happened over 2 or 3 full recruiting cycles with 2 or 3 head coaches in that time, zero stability in the athletic department, etc... Either you believe UND becomes a top 5-10 all time FCS program who is a top 10-15 type team/talent every single year or UNI becomes trash. Neither one is even remotely close to happening, regardless where you practice

This guy...I love this guy.

TheKingpin28
August 25th, 2015, 10:25 PM
1. A true football IPF doesn't have the fields endzones cut off because of a track...or not be 100% regulation width. Especially when the weight room, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc.. will be open to all sports to use.

2. Don't you ever use the phrase "I think UND football will look a lot like UNI football" ever again....I mean ever. If UND and UNI start to have identical looking programs something catastrophically bad over 2 or 3 full recruiting cycles with 2 or 3 head coaches in that time, zero stability in the athletic department, etc... Either you believe UND becomes a top 5-10 all time FCS program who is a top 10-15 type team/talent every single year or UNI becomes trash. Neither one is even remotely close to happening, regardless where you practice

Well then. Could not be more accurate

SDFS
August 25th, 2015, 10:26 PM

Well, UND and UNI were is the same conference for 45 years: NDSU 13, UND 12, UNI 12, SDSU 10 conference championships. And yes, UND does have 1 national championship in football. So, I would say that it has happened in the past and UND is more than capable of achieving that again in the future. Of course, we are chasing EWU, UM, MSU and Poly in our new conference.

I do hope that you were kidding in your comments about the IPF. The new IPF is more that adequate to support football.

F'N Hawks
August 25th, 2015, 10:32 PM

You gonna be alright big guy? Yeesh.

Easy on the IPF, its the biggest one in the entire country and when you are only FCS you lose 5 yards of turf in the corner of the end zone. Hope they can manage.

If only they had the foresight to build a track only IPF and then inflate a non-heated baggy over their old field in the winter. That was pure genius, Lloyd.

F'N Hawks
August 25th, 2015, 10:42 PM

Who told you the locker rooms and weight room are open for all sports to use?

FargoBison
August 25th, 2015, 11:01 PM
You gonna be alright big guy? Yeesh.

Easy on the IPF, its the biggest one in the entire country and when you are only FCS you lose 5 yards of turf in the corner of the end zone. Hope they can manage.

If only they had the foresight to build a track only IPF and then inflate a non-heated baggy over their old field in the winter. That was pure genius, Lloyd.

Who built a non-heated baggy?

clenz
August 25th, 2015, 11:02 PM
You're going to have a football specific weight room? You're going to pay to full support to weight rooms? I'm not sure what title IX requires but I don't know if that's "legal"

You're going to host events, other than practice, in the locker room and have no locker rooms available to the athletes?

That makes sense....

Bisonoline
August 25th, 2015, 11:23 PM

You have weight rooms for the other sports?

Missingnumber7
August 26th, 2015, 11:03 AM
UND(current)
Men's Hockey - NCHC
Women's Hockey - WCHA
Men's S&D, Women's S&D, Baseball - WAC
Everything else(16 sports) - Big Sky

UND(Summit/MVFC)
Men's Hockey - NCHC
Women's Hockey - WCHA
Football - MVFC
Everything else(18 sports) - Summit

The Summit/MVFC option actually condenses things a tiny bit.

I would much rather have FB in the same conference with everthing else.

BisonBacker
August 26th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Regarding this topic this is exactly why I wouldn't want them in the conference nor am I in favor of playing them. This **** gets drug along with them everywhere they go it isn't an NDSU against UND conspiracy. It just gets old and they can't let it go.

http://www.wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12844&start=60

I dread the **** show that will be in Fargo when they come to town.

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2015, 02:56 PM

I highly doubt you'll ever look like UNI in any stretch of the imagination.

You never were a perennial top team in Division 2. Shoot, you only started being the top football team in the state during 90s for goodness sake. The transition has been the exact way how NOT to transition from D2 to D1. It's funny, all those people that called the xDSU's crazy for pursuing D1 and said they would fail had that same fate happen to them. You're right now one of the worst programs for football in the country that fields a scholarship team, and while Bubba may be able to help, I don't see him ever getting the funding or support that Farley or his successors got or will get.

I do see you as being the little brother to two Universities in the region, (UNI to Iowa State and Iowa, respectively and UND to NDSU and Minnesota.) So I guess you are like UNI in one way. (No offense UNI, at least you beat Iowa State/Iowa!)

clenz
August 26th, 2015, 03:09 PM

You never were a perennial top team in Division 2. Shoot, you only started being the top football team in the state during 90s for goodness sake. The transition has been the exact way how NOT to transition from D2 to D1. It's funny, all those people that called the xDSU's crazy for pursuing D1 and said they would fail had that same fate happen to them. You're right now one of the worst programs for football in the country that fields a scholarship team, and while Bubba may be able to help, I don't see him ever getting the funding or support that Farley or his successors got or will get.

I do see you as being the little brother to two Universities in the region, (UNI to Iowa State and Iowa, respectively and UND to NDSU and Minnesota.) So I guess you are like UNI in one way. (No offense UNI, at least you beat Iowa State/Iowa!)
Little brother in enrollment and fan support...not in terms of competitive level.

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Little brother in enrollment and fan support...not in terms of competitive level.

There ya go...I wasn't sure how to word it.

Either way, UNI and UND aren't even close to being similar.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 03:13 PM

They'd still be D2 if the NCC had held together.

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Regarding this topic this is exactly why I wouldn't want them in the conference nor am I in favor of playing them. This **** gets drug along with them everywhere they go it isn't an NDSU against UND conspiracy. It just gets old and they can't let it go.

http://www.wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12844&start=60

I dread the **** show that will be in Fargo when they come to town.

Calm down.....it was ALL FINE until guess who piped in.....

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
They'd still be D2 if the NCC had held together.

Uhh...the NCC died because they left for D1. Not because we left for D1.

However, one can argue that we (the xDSU's) started a chain reaction for the NCC.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Uhh...the NCC died because they left for D1. Not because we left for D1.

However, one can argue that we (the xDSU's) started a chain reaction for the NCC.

Didn't USD make the announcement first? I think they were relying on them more than anything. UND and USD being the cornerstones of the "new NCC". When did UNO drop football?

BisonBacker
August 26th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Calm down.....it was ALL FINE until guess who piped in.....

Calm Down? Hell you know they bring that circus **** to every venue they will play in. If they think it will advance their cause they will turn it into an even bigger ****storm. All the more reason for not playing them. Guarantee you it will happen and NDSU will have nothing to gain from playing them. That is a fact.

BisonBacker
August 26th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Didn't USD make the announcement first? I think they were relying on them more than anything. UND and USD being the cornerstones of the "new NCC". When did UNO drop football?
When they commited to hocky. That is the truth. I don't recall the year but due to adding hockey it killed their football program.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 04:17 PM
When they commited to hocky. That is the truth. I don't recall the year but due to adding hockey it killed their football program.

I think the point was that UND didn't move up until they saw no other option when other teams started going like USD. At least that's how I remember it.

If they had a choice, they still would have stayed DII in everything but hockey.

BisonBacker
August 26th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I think the point was that UND didn't move up until they saw no other option when other teams started going like USD. At least that's how I remember it.

If they had a choice, they still would have stayed DII in everything but hockey.

I won't mention names but I have it from a good authority (sports reporter) that in talking directly with the AD of UNO a couple years after they decided to bring in Hockey as a DI sport he said if he had to do it over again he would of fought the choice to do it. Cost's skyrocketed, title IX crap it ended up bankrupting them. It is the reason they dropped football.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 26th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I won't mention names but I have it from a good authority (sports reporter) that in talking directly with the AD of UNO a couple years after they decided to bring in Hockey as a DI sport he said if he had to do it over again he would of fought the choice to do it. Cost's skyrocketed, title IX crap it ended up bankrupting them. It is the reason they dropped football.

Which is crazy because he was a football guy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2015, 04:32 PM

And wrestling. UNI was a D2 power in wrestling. Their wrestlers found out the program was dropped right after they won the national title. Talk about ****ty......

clenz
August 26th, 2015, 04:39 PM
And wrestling. UNI was a D2 power in wrestling. Their wrestlers found out the program was dropped right after they won the national title. Talk about ****ty......
Um....

UNI is still a top flight D1 wrestling program

BisonBacker
August 26th, 2015, 04:40 PM
But they have DI hockey. They get to play the likes of Mercyhurst Lakers, Canisius Golden Griffins, Alaska Nanooks, the Bentley Falcons (sounds more like a car model) Niagara Purple Eagles. I could go on with this list but it shows how ridiculous the notion of DI hockey is. Yes you have a few legit DI schools but the rest are a hodgepodge or unknowns. Hey if that floats your boat knock yourself out but to give up Football for that? No thanks

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Um....

UNI is still a top flight D1 wrestling program

Dang...I meant UNO.

clenz
August 26th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Dang...I meant UNO.
I, honestly, wasn't 100% following the thread so had no background on your post and took it as a stand alone...sorry

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I, honestly, wasn't 100% following the thread so had no background on your post and took it as a stand alone...sorry

No worries. It did look pretty ridiculous with UNI in it.

mmiller_34
August 26th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Our IPF is better than your IPF. Therefore you can't be in the Valley.

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Our IPF is better than your IPF. Therefore you can't be in the Valley.

BOOM! ROASTED! :D

mmiller_34
August 26th, 2015, 06:03 PM
BOOM! ROASTED! :D

xsmiley_wix

centennial
August 26th, 2015, 06:12 PM
The UNI comparisons are outright silly. UN? has done nothing to prove that it belongs in the same league as UNI. UNI is a perennial top 10-15 team.

Yote 53
August 26th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Reading through this thread it appears that in about a year UND will have fallen behind USD in facilities as well.

Indoor football stadium - check
Indoor Track - check
Basketball/Volleyball Arena - check
Hyper/athletic center - check
Outdoor T&F complex - check
Outdoor Soccer complex - check
Softball complex - check
Outdoor football practice facility (turf, etc.) - check

Heck, they're I've even heard talk of a new Swim & Diving facility when they add on to the Student Wellness Center. Only thing we're missing is a hockey arena, though I doubt we ever go that route.

As to UNO, hockey and football coexisted for many, many years there. It was the decision to go D1 and elevate the basketball program to fit the profile of so many other similar metro universities that killed football and wrestling. Shoot, how could hockey be the one that killed football when hockey is the revenue generator for the department. Football was axed because the ledger was deep in the red. Simply put, Husker football is the biggest...errr, ONLY football in that state.

clenz
August 26th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Football was axed at UNO for one reason only.... UNL

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2015, 07:06 PM

Yup....for the same reasons there will never be FCS football in the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2015, 07:12 PM

Bingo. Football in UNL is "too big" for their to be any other competition. Plain and simple.