PDA

View Full Version : Juniors who may not stay in school

smallcollegefbfan
August 21st, 2015, 08:15 PM
I'm hearing more and more of juniors wanting to come out from this level, which only hurts this level, and is not smart in general. Buzz is that EWU WR Cooper Kupp is gone with a big year and a decent draft grade. Unless hurt, EKU's Noah Spence is coming out.

Anyone else who you guys are hearing may come out?

Sadly, some agents and these jock sniffers from the websites covering the draft who want to be buddies and get free gear from the players are the ones in their ear telling them they can come out early.

mvemjsunpx
August 21st, 2015, 10:26 PM
It certainly didn't work for Brandon Kaufman…

You probably shouldn't come out early unless you're guaranteed at-least 3rd. round money, which is a near impossibility for an FCS junior.

lionsrking2
August 21st, 2015, 10:50 PM
It certainly didn't work for Brandon Kaufman…

You probably shouldn't come out early unless you're guaranteed at-least 3rd. round money, which is a near impossibility for an FCS junior.

While I'm all for those who choose to complete their college eligibility, I disagree with your comment as a blanket statement (I realize you didn't make a blanket statement). Each individual has their own circumstances and factors they must weigh. If a guy has his degree, or very close to it, and has a reasonable chance of making an NFL roster, I wouldn't call it a bad decision if they want to make a run at it. It may be risky, and not what you our I would do, but I have a hard time being critical of someone who doesn't want to risk injury during their senior year if they have a decent chance to play in the NFL.

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 03:21 AM
While I'm all for those who choose to complete their college eligibility, I disagree with your comment as a blanket statement (I realize you didn't make a blanket statement). Each individual has their own circumstances and factors they must weigh. If a guy has his degree, or very close to it, and has a reasonable chance of making an NFL roster, I wouldn't call it a bad decision if they want to make a run at it. It may be risky, and not what you our I would do, but I have a hard time being critical of someone who doesn't want to risk injury during their senior year if they have a decent chance to play in the NFL.

I agree it just seems like to many of these guys declare early and could really have used that extra year of eligibility. If they cant stay healthy in their senior year of college, how can they expect to compete immediately at the NFL level?

Sammy94
August 22nd, 2015, 08:56 AM
If Jared Johnson has a career year he may do a VA. He graduates in Dec.

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2015, 10:30 AM

I think too many people believe they can make it. When you do the math you have about 255 draft picks each year and yet we are consistently having more than 80 players declare these days. There are only so many spots and I think many players who think they have a decent shot don't really have one. Unless the NFL gives a player a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round grade I think they need to definitely stay in school unless it is a player with a lot of off field baggage like Isaiah Crowell did but clearly had big time talent because he showed it in the SEC.

It's not worth it unless you are a projected top 100 pick by the NFL Advisory Board and considered a lock to make a roster for a couple years, if healthy. Just a few years ago we had like 8 FCS underclassmen declare and only one of them got drafted with half of them even making a roster. To me, if you have a degree then yes I can see taking a chance because you can fall back on your degree but only if they have their degree. Any player far from it or only close to it needs to finish their playing eligibility unless they are a projected top 100 pick only by the NFL Advisory Board.

bonarae
August 22nd, 2015, 05:01 PM
The "leaving-early" epidemic plaguing college stars today (basketball and football) has even spread to the FCS... xoopsx

What such players need is advice from their mentors and/or academic advisers to let them stay in school for longer.

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2015, 06:23 PM
The "leaving-early" epidemic plaguing college stars today (basketball and football) has even spread to the FCS... xoopsx

What such players need is advice from their mentors and/or academic advisers to let them stay in school for longer.

I would not even advise listening to many "mentors". Lot of guys on the internet are trying to be that for players. I know this past year the Newberry LB taken in the 7th round had a mentor who picked his agent and had him thinking he would go in the 3rd or 4th round. The kid went in the 7th round and is 50/50 to even make a roster despite being told he was a "big time" prospect by his mentor. His coaches even believed the 2 scouts and agents who told him he would be a 3rd or 4th round pick and the school believed the agents over people who would know.