PDA

View Full Version : Murphy staying at Harvard for a while

bulldog10jw
November 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/112706acs.html

Tim Murphy was reappointed as Harvard's football coach through 2011 on Monday after a sixth consecutive season in which he led the Crimson to at least seven wins.

Harvard Worship
November 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Great news for us! & it isn't just "empty news." There was actually some worry that he might leave in the wake of the unprecedented discipline issues this season.
Let's cross our fingers the Ivy stays out of the headlines next year... we only get in for the wrong reasons.

YaleFootballFan
November 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
That's great news for Harvard and Tim Murphy.

CSU Girl
November 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Yea! for Harvard and Coach Murphy! He is a great guy!

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM
...and the Leopards losing streak will continue to at least 2011 :rolleyes:

Ivytalk
November 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Phew! I hope he got a hefty raise. I know other schools have expressed an interest in him (Delaware for one).

UNHknowledge
November 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
He seems like a good guy but this year was more than disapointing in my opinion. The off the field issues speak for themselves (totally unacceptable at an Ivy League institution). I only saw 2 Harvard games this year and I was very unimpressed with Murphy's play calling and lack of motivation from his players. In the UPenn game it seemed like he played keep away from arguably the best player in the conference's history (Clifton Dawson) and for that senior class to go out the way they did against Yale was also unacceptable. I couldn't believe the lack of intensity on both sides of the ball from Harvard during 'The Game'. I can't comprehend why they are trying to run an open spread offense (which obviously seems to be vogue now) when they don't have a kid that can throw the ball and recievers that run like TE's. You really need a stud QB i.e. Ricky Santos in order to spread it out like that, just as you would need a very athletic QB i.e. Charlie Frazier to run the option all day. In addition they had the best back in the conference and they didn't protect him with a fullback.

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
He seems like a good guy but this year was more than disapointing in my opinion. The off the field issues speak for themselves (totally unacceptable at an Ivy League institution). I only saw 2 Harvard games this year and I was very unimpressed with Murphy's play calling and lack of motivation from his players. In the UPenn game it seemed like he played keep away from arguably the best player in the conference's history (Clifton Dawson) and for that senior class to go out the way they did against Yale was also unacceptable. I couldn't believe the lack of intensity on both sides of the ball from Harvard during 'The Game'. I can't comprehend why they are trying to run an open spread offense (which obviously seems to be vogue now) when they don't have a kid that can throw the ball and recievers that run like TE's. You really need a stud QB i.e. Ricky Santos in order to spread it out like that, just as you would need a very athletic QB i.e. Charlie Frazier to run the option all day. In addition they had the best back in the conference and they didn't protect him with a fullback.

UNH, you really overstate the anti-Murphy case, if there is one. In the last three games of the season, Harvard turned the ball over 12 times. Its offensive line was small and couldn't open the holes that Dawson enjoyed the previous three years. Dawson gained over 100 yards against Penn, so I don't know what you mean by "keep away." Granted, Liam O'Hagan made some awful decisions at QB against Penn and Yale, but the fact is that Harvard was just outplayed in both games, particularly "in the trenches." And that senior class that you criticize had never lost to Yale before. They certainly had no incentive to "tank" the game. The receiving corps, led by Mazza and Luft, played well all year. The D-line led the league (if not all of I-AA) in sacks. Murphy has won seven games or more for 6 straight years. Not too many coaches can say that.

CSU Girl
November 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Doesn't Murphy's Offensive Coordinator call plays?

Harvard Worship
November 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Hey I agree the spread offense is strange... and didn't work so well against Yale. BUT don't let those last two games of this season color your opinion of Murphy. He's a great coach -- even if winning is what matters to you -- just look at his total winning percentage! But more importantly, i think his strict response to the discipline issues this year reflects positively on his character & values.
Oh, and I'd just like to point out that Harvard had serious injuries to the OL for the Penn and Yale games. Nick Sobic was really missed. Our lines had been the strength of the team during the early season, and with weakened lines perhaps Murphy thought he had to try some more creative play calling. Can't blame the man for strategizing.
In addition, unlike the other teams in the Ivy League, Harvard had a revolving door at quarterback this season due to injuries and (gulp!) suspensions. While the other teams were able to build chemistry and momentum over the course of the year, Harvard had to start from scratch time and again.
Finally, while it's flattering that someone would think that Harvard "lost" the Penn and Yale games, you have to give credit to the Quakers and especially the Bulldogs for winning those games. Quite frankly, the reason Yale won the game was that Yale played inspired football. Even if Harvard had played up to their potential, I think Yale would have won. They were the better team this year, and they wanted it more. Give credit where credit is due: it's not Murphy's fault, it's Yale's.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Well, at least we can agree on one thing -- UNH Wildcats are the best! UNH 35, UMASS 21 on Saturday! Go Cats! :hurray:

As far as Tim Murphy is concerned, one word describes him as a person and as a coach: FABULOUS! No question the program had issues this year (unacceptable at any institution, not just the Ivies, by the way), but there is no one better to handle them than Murph. And, his adroitness in dealing with them kept a ravenous press from blowing them out of proportion. With college players (D3, D2, Ivy, Patriot, or scholarship FCS, or BCS), there are always issues to manage and Tim does it as well as anyone in my mind. I would wager that is why Harvard did the smart -- and right! -- thing by locking him up with a long term contract. All those bright people along the Charles River know a good thing when they see one! 7-3 in a "down" year ain't bad. I also think he is the author of the only 10-0 season in Crimson history, just a couple of years ago. I think he knows what he is doing... :thumbsup: