PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth revolutionizing tackling dummies?

clenz
August 20th, 2015, 10:43 PM
http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/magazine/students-and-football-coach-invent-tackling-dummy-to-reduce-injuries

Last year, just prior to the $870 million settlement compensating thousands of NFL players for concussion-related injuries, Dartmouth head football coach Eugene Teevens sponsored an Engineering Design Methodology class project. The student group, comprised of M.S. student Elliot Kastner '13 Th'14, Quinn Connell '13 Th'14, Andrew Smist '13 Th'14 and M.E.M. student Noah Glennon Th'14, developed a device to help players tackle more safely and reduce these all too common injuries.

With assistance from their project manager, Research Engineer John Currier, the students and Teevens obtained a provisional patent last December for their automated tackling dummy, called the Mobile Tackling Target, to replace the static pop-up ones now used by players. The team hopes to hold an official patent within the year for the device, which last spring also landed them in the top three for the most inventive undergraduate student invention at the ‪Lemelson-MIT National Collegiate Student Prize competition.

The Mobile Tackling Target will be the only powered tackling device to simulate a real football player in size, weight and agility by replicating an in-game tackling experience.

“We created it to eliminate player-on-player contact during tackling drills, while maintaining the level of challenge associated with a real live person,” says Kastner. He and everyone on the team is at minimum a sports fan, while some also play football or rugby.

At a small-scale manufacturing cost of around $5,000 per dummy, they hope to sell this large padded humanoid—created out of pourable foam using the Machine Shop’s 3 axis router—to professional- and collegiate-level teams in the near future. The Mobile Tackling Target is anchored by a ball structure driven by omni wheels to direct the ball in any direction. These immediate directional changes simulate a player dodging a tackle. While it’s currently remotely controlled, the team plans to eventually drive the system with preprogrammed routes and drills through Bluetooth. First, Coach Teevens and Kastner will continue to raise funds for their dummy.

Mobile Tackling Target ball mechanism with omni wheels.
Ball mechanism with omni wheels.
“Our takeaway from the Lemelson competition, which we were nominated for by Professor of Engineering William Lotko, was that in order to keep developing our device successfully, we are going to need intrinsic motivation outside of winning funding,” says Kastner.

“We hope the devices’ longevity and ability to replace multiple tackling pads will ultimately motivate teams’ purchase of the Mobile Tackling Target,” adds Kastner. “However, the benefits of reducing concussions at practice and in games are worth significantly more to a team.”

Video of it in use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ctY2Gxxxc

Do you see this catching on nationally and becoming common practice eventually?

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2015, 12:13 AM
Video of it in use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ctY2Gxxxc

Do you see this catching on nationally and becoming common practice eventually?

Its just a fancy-expensive way of teaching a different tackling technique. It will take a few years for the "not lead with your head" to be come more common place. We have already seen a difference in the blow up tackles and targeting. Its no different that rugby tackling. Don't lead with your head. Pretty simple.

Mattymc727
August 21st, 2015, 06:40 AM
With what UNH is doing with helmet studies and safety, and now Dartmouth, NEW HAMPSHIRE is leading the way in player safety!

Laker
August 21st, 2015, 06:52 AM
$5,000 is cheaper than I thought it would be. Will this work on a grass field?

Go Green
August 21st, 2015, 07:07 AM
Would be curious to see how this technology looks in another decade. Pretty rudimentary stuff now.

clenz
August 21st, 2015, 07:09 AM
$5,000 is cheaper than I thought it would be. Will this work on a grass field?
I would assume a quick change in wheels would make it work.

I remember doing angle drills and fill the gap drills live and it sucked. The ability to use something like this would easily be worth the costs for many FBS and FCS schools

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PAllen
August 21st, 2015, 01:23 PM
Those guys never got their heads in front of the dummy. Poor technique.

clenz
August 21st, 2015, 01:33 PM
Those guys never got their heads in front of the dummy. Poor technique.
That's going away as well..

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/04/52228/video-heres-pete-carroll-explaining-rugby-tackling-which-revolutionized-ohio-states-defense

Notice they are frequently head behind.

I grew up being taught shoulder only tackles, nearly identical to this. Shoulder to the waist, head up, wrap, and drive. I got to college and they tried to get me to put my facemask on the chest and I wouldn't do it. That in no way felt safe

Contact in the waist/thigh with a wrap and you'll thrown them off enough you won't need your head in front (which is also dangerous as it can open knee/leg to head situations). Plus, a good defense will have 3 or more guys right behind you to bring him down.