PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh to Play at Navy in 2018

ngineer
August 20th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Just confirmed on Facebook by Lehigh. Looking forward to that one. Back in the 80's we had a great sail up the Chesapeake from Baltimore on two large vessals with lunch going up and dinner and a band going back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2015, 08:21 PM
It's hard to believe it will be 15 years between FBS games for Lehigh. They actually played them with some frequency up until 2003.

Lehigh better be prepared for a helluva battle. Navy is almost always a tough out for good FBS teams let a lone a FCS school. This one will get ugly if Lehigh doesn't bring a good team to Annapolis.

ngineer
August 20th, 2015, 08:26 PM
It's hard to believe it will be 15 years between FBS games for Lehigh. They actually played them with some frequency up until 2003.

Lehigh better be prepared for a helluva battle. Navy is almost always a tough out for good FBS teams let a lone a FCS school. This one will get ugly if Lehigh doesn't bring a good team to Annapolis.

Well, if this year's freshmen hang in there and keep improving, we could have a hell of a team. I see a lot of talent in this year's incoming class.

CHIP72
August 20th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Assuming that I'm still in the DC area in 2018 (and I hope I'm not, for non-sports fan reasons), this is a game I'll almost definitely attend.

Interestingly (for me and Go Lehigh TU Owl anyway), Temple is scheduled to play at both Navy and Maryland in 2018 as well.

RichH2
August 20th, 2015, 09:29 PM
The confirmation is nice. It would seem that Lehigh is not jumping into FBS with anywhere near the enthusiasm as the rest of the PL. Hope he's taking the right path for the program.

CHIP72
August 20th, 2015, 09:37 PM
The confirmation is nice. It would seem that Lehigh is not jumping into FBS with anywhere near the enthusiasm as the rest of the PL. Hope he's taking the right path for the program.

As Go Lehigh TU Owl indicated above however, if the goal when playing a Division I-A/FBS team is to be competitive, then playing Navy is a tough ask. The Midshipmen usually have a pretty competitive, bowl eligible team playing a solid schedule by FBS standards.

I'm guessing Navy's affiliation in the Patriot League in most sports besides football plays a role as to why Lehigh decided to play them rather than some other school in their first athletic scholarship era game against a Division I-A/FBS team.

RichH2
August 20th, 2015, 09:56 PM
As Go Lehigh TU Owl indicated above however, if the goal when playing a Division I-A/FBS team is to be competitive, then playing Navy is a tough ask. The Midshipmen usually have a pretty competitive, bowl eligible team playing a solid schedule by FBS standards.

I'm guessing Navy's affiliation in the Patriot League in most sports besides football plays a role as to why Lehigh decided to play them rather than some other school in their first athletic scholarship era game against a Division I-A/FBS team.
It helps that Army and Navy promised to schedule a PL team every year. Navy is a great test for us. My point is Joe didn't have to ne at all proactive to get this game.After all the rumors of Syracuse,PSU etc,just wondering what happened.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Nice work getting Navy on the schedule!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2015, 11:01 PM
It helps that Army and Navy promised to schedule a PL team every year. Navy is a great test for us. My point is Joe didn't have to ne at all proactive to get this game.After all the rumors of Syracuse,PSU etc,just wondering what happened.

I'm extremely interested to see who's Lehigh's next FBS game will be. While I love Michie, I just hope it's not Army. It seems too predictable or "boring" imo. Personally, I'd like to see a game against a MAC team....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Assuming that I'm still in the DC area in 2018 (and I hope I'm not, for non-sports fan reasons), this is a game I'll almost definitely attend.

Interestingly (for me and Go Lehigh TU Owl anyway), Temple is scheduled to play at both Navy and Maryland in 2018 as well.

I can hope that Temple @ Maryland and Lehigh @ Navy is a day night double header!! Byrd Stadium is a second level bucket list venue. Simply because of its location...

RichH2
August 20th, 2015, 11:51 PM
I'm extremely interested to see who's Lehigh's next FBS game will be. While I love Michie, I just hope it's not Army. It seems too predictable or "boring" imo. Personally, I'd like to see a game against a MAC team....
My gut is Joe is gonna go with an FBS once every 4 years.Hope I am wrong. Despite all the early talk seems not much is being pursued,at least not successfully. Bet Army will be our next one. Wouldn't mind a game with Wake. We should have an in thete:)
An NEC,a CAA and 3 Ivies,not a bad OOC . Is this going to be ouy formula going forward?

CHIP72
August 21st, 2015, 05:08 AM
I can hope that Temple @ Maryland and Lehigh @ Navy is a day night double header!! Byrd Stadium is a second level bucket list venue. Simply because of its location...

Sounds like my kind of schedule! :)

Despite living pretty close to the facility (I'd guess roughly 6 miles) since early 2008, the only game I've attended at Byrd Stadium was that 38-7 demolition Temple laid on Maryland back in 2011. I thought Byrd Stadium was a reasonably nice stadium - fairly old but a relatively good setting and good sight lines from the upper deck (where I sat for that 2011 game)*. Having said that, Byrd Stadium can't hold a candle in my eyes to Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis. That stadium's setting is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing. Interestingly, even though there is some residential development nearby and it is surrounded by parking lots immediately outside the stadium, it reminded me a little of Goodman Stadium and vice-versa (as well as old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, based on what I saw on TV with the now-gone Baltimore facility), I think mainly because it is such a great setting for a football stadium. I'm looking forward to getting back to Navy for a game; the only two times I've been there were in 2008 and 2009 when Temple played there.

BTW, in the current schedule rotation Lehigh will also play at Georgetown in 2018, so maybe there could be a Lehigh @ Georgetown and Temple @ Navy doubleheader too. :) You'd be hard pressed to find two more different football facilities than Navy and Georgetown! (To be fair, Multi-Sport Field's setting actually is not bad at all, it's just that the "stadium" is so ridiculously small.)

*In general Maryland's campus IMO is a little disappointing. College Park is located in an urban/suburban-style setting, and definitely doesn't have the college town feel of a place like State College (Penn State), Newark (Delaware), or even New Brunswick (Rutgers), but it also doesn't have the hussle and bussle urban campus feel that much of Pitt's campus, most of Penn's campus, and part of Temple's campus (i.e. the part near Broad Street) have.

LUHawker
August 21st, 2015, 10:01 AM
My gut is Joe is gonna go with an FBS once every 4 years.Hope I am wrong. Despite all the early talk seems not much is being pursued,at least not successfully. Bet Army will be our next one. Wouldn't mind a game with Wake. We should have an in thete:)
An NEC,a CAA and 3 Ivies,not a bad OOC . Is this going to be ouy formula going forward?

Is it possible that Joe got stung when the BIG12 decided to forbid FCS games given the rumors of Penn State and Rutgers match-ups? Anyone have info on this?

RichH2
August 21st, 2015, 10:23 AM
Is it possible that Joe got stung when the BIG12 decided to forbid FCS games given the rumors of Penn State and Rutgers match-ups? Anyone have info on this?
In a way. PSU deal was done but when Franklin came in and schollie restrictions lifted it died. Have no info why other rumored game did not materialize. One caveat,Joe loathe to reveal any info on future schedules until he absolutely has to :) May well be that there are arrangements for 19,20,21. Nothing pops up on future schedules site as of now.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2015, 11:17 AM

I had heard of nothing formal in this area, but having said that with the B1G's decision Lehigh lost two giant possible FBS bus trip teams they could have played, one (Rutgers) whom would be considered a historic rival of Lehigh's, just a notch below Lafayette.

As FBS games go, in their history Lehigh played Rutgers 74 times and Penn State 23 times (all before WWII). Next up? Navy (21) and Army (10).

Other local FBS schools like Temple, UMass, Syracuse, Viriginia, Maryland, Boston College all would be different sorts of games. BC would be a good match institutionally, but it's far and there's no history. Virginia (oddly enough) shares some football athletic history, but it's far and it's a very different type of school. Temple is a bus ride, but other than than there's little history and the schools are very different.

In the end, if you had a matchmaking service for Lehigh to play an FBS school, Rutgers would be the prohibitive No. 1, Penn State 2nd, Navy/Army 3rd/4th, and everyone else distantly behind.

heath
August 21st, 2015, 11:45 AM
the PL should treat Navy just like the ACC did ND. While both Navy and ND are members of the conferences mentioned,their football teams are not( yes,for different reasons I know) BUT..... The ACC got a deal with ND football to play 4 ACC teams a year/ rotating those teams. The PL should get Navy to play 2 teams each season/rotating those teams also. Just a thought,... and good rivalries would emerge.xnodx

Gangtackle11
August 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM
I had heard of nothing formal in this area, but having said that with the B1G's decision Lehigh lost two giant possible FBS bus trip teams they could have played, one (Rutgers) whom would be considered a historic rival of Lehigh's, just a notch below Lafayette.

As FBS games go, in their history Lehigh played Rutgers 74 times and Penn State 23 times (all before WWII). Next up? Navy (21) and Army (10).

Other local FBS schools like Temple, UMass, Syracuse, Viriginia, Maryland, Boston College all would be different sorts of games. BC would be a good match institutionally, but it's far and there's no history. Virginia (oddly enough) shares some football athletic history, but it's far and it's a very different type of school. Temple is a bus ride, but other than than there's little history and the schools are very different.

In the end, if you had a matchmaking service for Lehigh to play an FBS school, Rutgers would be the prohibitive No. 1, Penn State 2nd, Navy/Army 3rd/4th, and everyone else distantly behind.

Well the ship has salied on Rutgers & Penn State as the Big 10 has a FCS ban in place.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2015, 11:57 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but I would love to have Lehigh play a one-off game at LSU. LSU's AD was a star QB at Lehigh and it would be exactly the type of once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would be incredible for both student-athletes and fans.

Lehigh and LSU couldn't be more different but IMO it would be more exciting for Lehigh to play the Tigers than the Nittany Lions.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2015, 11:57 AM

You're not going to find too many "like mind" schools at the FBS level outside of Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, BC, Rice, Tulane and Wake Forest. Virginia would be awesome imo. I'd love a reason to visit their campus. Plus, Charlottesville is not a "far" ride for Lehigh fans and alums. Likewise with Harrisonburg.

Why Temple has not done a H&H with the Cavaliers is beyond me.

If FBS games are going to happen I'd like to see one of these, UMass, UConn, Ohio, Akron, Kent State, Virginia, ODU, App State or Wake Forest to be next.

Lehigh simply does not have much history with current FBS programs. That's perfectly fine imo. They should only schedule one every 3 years or so imo. Unless Lehigh wins one or starts kicking serious butt at the FCS level.....

Brad82
August 21st, 2015, 11:59 AM
Is there a link?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2015, 12:01 PM
I know I'm in the minority here but I would love to have Lehigh play a one-off game at LSU. LSU's AD was a star QB at Lehigh and it would be exactly the type of once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would be incredible for both student-athletes and fans.

Lehigh and LSU couldn't be more different but IMO it would be more exciting for Lehigh to play the Tigers than the Nittany Lions.

The last thing Lehigh football players need is to be subjected to 97 degree temps in Death Valley. While visually it might be cool for 5 minutes, the other 55 would be a combination of pity, remorse and infinite sadness.

Bob Alyseworth transferred from Tulane. If you want Louisiana the Green Wave are a much better choice.

BTW, LSU plays Syracuse September 26th at the Carrier Dome. That's an awesome OOC game. I'm not sure the Tigers have played north of Mason Dixon line in the last 20 years.

Sader87
August 21st, 2015, 12:20 PM
How Holy Cross, which has a very long and distinct relationship with the US Navy, has nevah played USNA in football has always baffled me. Hopefully we'll see a game between them in the not too distant future.

LUHawker
August 21st, 2015, 12:29 PM

Yes, you would be in the decided minority on this I think.

Southsider
August 21st, 2015, 01:23 PM

Well, I don't know about being a "star", but I remember him getting the job done. Only 1 year IIRC, between McQuilken and Sterrett. Anyway, let's keep things real.......I'm with Owl, a MAC game in the future would be a nice test. Also, recently drove through Youngstown. Very nice digs. Another game that would be neat. Anyway, looking forward to the season. I kind of like that the first 2 are on the road. Pre holiday crowds at Goodman have been a disappointment. And, a young team may have less pressure on the road. If we come home at 1-1 I'll be happy.

Lehigh'98
August 21st, 2015, 01:24 PM
Good news on the Navy game. While i think a great LU team could hang with Navy for awhile, this will most likely get ugly. We played Army relatively tough in 1995, a PL champion year, but needed some more speed to actually win that one. Navy is alot tougher.

RichH2
August 21st, 2015, 01:33 PM
Well, I don't know about being a "star", but I remember him getting the job done. Only 1 year IIRC, between McQuilken and Sterrett. Anyway, let's keep things real.......I'm with Owl, a MAC game in the future would be a nice test. Also, recently drove through Youngstown. Very nice digs. Another game that would be neat. Anyway, looking forward to the season. I kind of like that the first 2 are on the road. Pre holiday crowds at Goodman have been a disappointment. And, a young team may have less pressure on the road. If we come home at 1-1 I'll be happy.
A winning record thru OOC would be great.We start PL with Bucknell and Fordham. Very hard start for a young squad.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2015, 02:04 PM
Yes, you would be in the decided minority on this I think.

The thing is Penn State hasn't been really "big time" for a while now, but LSU, they're in the conversation for the CFP. That may eventually change now that PSU's sanctions have lifted.

One thing I find a bit odd is: don't fans want to see how Lehigh stacks up against the best? I wouldn't want to "dumb down" Lehigh's FBS experience to be against a "beatable" opponent simply because they're "beatable". If you're going for an FBS game, why not measure yourself against the best?

Navy is a great get because they are the intersection of both: local, Lehigh's played them a fair amount during the years, AND they're a challenge, a yardstick game.

PAllen
August 21st, 2015, 03:58 PM
Because getting blown out by 7 touchdowns by halftime isn't measuring yourself.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2015, 04:26 PM
Good news on the Navy game. While i think a great LU team could hang with Navy for awhile, this will most likely get ugly. We played Army relatively tough in 1995, a PL champion year, but needed some more speed to actually win that one. Navy is alot tougher.

I was at that game. Army won 42-9.

It was a pretty hot day from what I remember. Army had some real talent on that team. They would end up 10-2 and ranked in 1996 iirc.

citdog
August 21st, 2015, 04:40 PM
So what other schools that The Citadel has defeated and are no longer welcome back for another game is le high going to schedule and get whipped by?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM
So what other schools that The Citadel has defeated and are no longer welcome back for another game is le high going to schedule and get whipped by?

Lehigh owns a better winning percentage against Navy than The Citadel does. Lehigh 429% vs 333% for The Citadel. Lehigh is 6-14-1 overall against Navy while The Citadel is 2-6. Both teams haven't beaten nor played Navy since the 1980's....

Nice try though :p

citdog
August 21st, 2015, 04:55 PM
Lehigh owns a better winning percentage against Navy than The Citadel does. Lehigh 429% vs 333% for The Citadel. Lehigh is 6-14-1 overall against Navy while The Citadel is 2-6. Both teams haven't beaten nor played Navy since the 1980's....

The Citadel won the LAST two. 1988 at General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium and in 1989 at Canoe U. The Citadel also split the LAST two against Hudson high.

NY Crusader 2010
August 21st, 2015, 05:06 PM

PRINCETON

ElCid
August 21st, 2015, 05:32 PM

Not sure where you got your #s but just for accuracy sake....

Lehigh is 6-14-1 since 1889, last game in 1987 for .286% overall

The Citadel is 2-6 since 1937, last game in 1989 for .250% overall

They each played Navy 4 times in the 80's Lehigh went 1-3, The Citadel 2-2, Lehigh had not played them prior to the 80s since 1913.

But the last time either of us played them, we beat them.

Go...gate
August 21st, 2015, 05:50 PM

I would like to see Colgate and The Citadel play again.

Go...gate
August 21st, 2015, 05:52 PM
The Citadel won the LAST two. 1988 at General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium and in 1989 at Canoe U. The Citadel also split the LAST two against Hudson high.

1988 must have been an overflow crowd at Hagood Stadium.

citdog
August 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM

It was a GREAT night and a certain 14 year old little pup enjoyed every second of it!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2015, 06:22 PM

They each played Navy 4 times in the 80's Lehigh went 1-3, The Citadel 2-2, Lehigh had not played them prior to the 80s since 1913.

Good catch on my terrible math. I simply divided the two numbers without adding...

Lehigh'98
August 21st, 2015, 07:35 PM

just to get real technical it would be 28.6% and 25% ;)

Lehigh'98
August 21st, 2015, 07:38 PM
I was at that game. Army won 42-9.

It was a pretty hot day from what I remember. Army had some real talent on that team. They would end up 10-2 and ranked in 1996 iirc.

Yes it was the first game of season. my first game in uniform. We made some plays and hung tough for a bit, but ultimately they just wore us down.

Go...gate
August 21st, 2015, 08:08 PM
It was a GREAT night and a certain 14 year old little pup enjoyed every second of it!

That is an idyllic college football setting!

ElCid
August 21st, 2015, 08:13 PM

There was just under 21K on hand. I actually have the game on tape, yes tape, a VHS. I should put it on a DVD. It was also broadcasted in the local market.

ElCid
August 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM
just to get real technical it would be 28.6% and 25% ;)

Duh. You are right. It was a long day at work. xembarrassedx

RichH2
August 21st, 2015, 08:48 PM
Now a game with The Citadel would be fun,even if just to aggravate citdog :)

ngineer
August 22nd, 2015, 12:38 AM

Sorry, nothing 'boring' about going the West Point. That is a great weekend to be scheduled. I also think a game at El Cid would be great, too. I was always hoping we would go down there when Higgins was in town, but couldn't get it done with the OOC games.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
HC has also nevah made the trip to Charleston (or they to Wissstah) to play the Citadel.

HC lifetime versus current D1 service academies:

Air Force 1-0 Only game in 1978
Army 6-17-1 Last HC win in 2002
VMI 2-0-1 Last game 1963

Holy Cross played a lot of the military "college teams" that were assembled during WW2 and after like the New London Sub Base, Melville PT Boats etc...as well as the Quantico Marines through much of the 1950s and 1960s.