PDA

View Full Version : Payton Finalists Announced

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4051350.htm

Surprised Mason or Baylark didn't make it. If I had to predict, I think Santos gets it based on his incoming hype. Although, for sheer stats, Murrietta is hard to beat...but that 6-5 record usually means no hardware. Ask Davon Fowlkes...

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
How is Murrietta's stats that much better than Santos' numbers? He's a little better yardage-wise, but total TD's (rushing as well) they are pretty much even as they are INT's as well. Neither has a huge advantage from that standpoint.

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
How is Murrietta's stats that much better than Santos' numbers? He's a little better yardage-wise, but total TD's (rushing as well) they are pretty much even as they are INT's as well. Neither has a huge advantage from that standpoint.

Whoops...I misread Murrietta's passing yards at 3800 not 2800. May be Santos 1 and Whitlock 2.

kardplayer
November 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Santos should win this by a lot. He is the most dominant player in FCS right now.

I'd have Mason in the top 3 as well, along with Santos and Whitlock.

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Not surprised on Mason, he was hurt the last 2 regular season games and JMU stopping him Sat.

Nonetheless, he is still having a great year and YSU wouldn't be this far without him. He probably will break YSU's single season rushing mark this week

siugrad99
November 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Too bad they don't count playoff performance... Arkie wins the award if they count last week. Darkhorse, but we will take our chances with Arkie :)

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I'll take a National Championship over a Payton

Tod
November 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Too bad they don't count playoff performance... Arkie wins the award if they count last week. Darkhorse, but we will take our chances with Arkie :)

I don't know, five TD passes for Santos. :eyebrow:

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Santos is the favorite, but some of his votes could have spread to David Ball, kinda the Derek Jeter AL MVP scenario.

Down with the Foe!
November 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Jason

dbackjon
November 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Congrats to Jason for making the final three!!
34 TDs to 5 INTs is awesome!!!!

dbackjon
November 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Somethings that may work in Jason's favor are the fact that he is the only top candidate from the Big Sky, and only one of four top candidates from West of the Mississippi.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Somethings that may work in Jason's favor are the fact that he is the only top candidate from the Big Sky, and only one of four top candidates from West of the Mississippi.

It's Santos in a walk - too much Santos PR to overcome for Murrietta to win it.

Tod
November 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I wonder if they ever take into consideration (subconsciously) if a player has remaining eligibility. Santos is a junior, and will get another shot at it.

Not saying it happens, or should, but I wonder if it does.

dbackjon
November 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
It's Santos in a walk - too much Santos PR to overcome for Murrietta to win it.

East Coast Bias?? :D

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Ball only took 10 of the 112 1st place votes.

David Ball (New Hampshire) 10 13 9 9 7 154

Of the votes shown theres 48 1st place votes among the 3 finalists and with Baylark and Rascati so far down the list you gotta think then that perhaps Santos walked away with the east coast vote.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
East Coast Bias?? :D

Nah, just that Santos has been getting huge billing ever since his freshman year and he's been in the playoffs 3 times now in 3 years. Murrietta just hasn't had the team success around him to make him as visible. Se la vie.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Nah, just that Santos has been getting huge billing ever since his freshman year and he's been in the playoffs 3 times now in 3 years. Murrietta just hasn't had the team success around him to make him as visible. Se la vie.

Santos also helped UNH become the 1st A-10 team to advance past the 1st round in 3 consecutive seasons.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Santos also helped UNH become the 1st A-10 team to advance past the 1st round in 3 consecutive seasons.

Well, getting Colgate last year and Hampton this year played a big part in that too, don't you think??? :smiley_wi

Now, about getting past that pesky 2nd round... ;)

smallcollegefbfan
November 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Would not surprise me to see Whitlock win it. I think Santos wins though.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well, getting Colgate last year and Hampton this year played a big part in that too, don't you think??? :smiley_wi

Now, about getting past that pesky 2nd round... ;)

Well sure, but still.

I see it this way.

1st round
2004: close win
2005 Blowout win

2nd round
2004: Blowout loss
2005: Close loss
2006: Close win? :D

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Murrietta is also on a 6-5 team. Despite all his stats...he still didn't lead his team into the playoffs like the other two. That usually matters to voters.

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I would guess Santos. They seem to like the QB's and he's a great canidate. Would like to see Whitlock win, but I won't hold my breath.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I would guess Santos. They seem to like the QB's and he's a great canidate. Would like to see Whitlock win, but I won't hold my breath.

Whitlock's had a nice season, but compare his stats with past, recent RB winners and he's nowhere close to what Ivory, Peterson, Branch, or Westbrook put up. With no great RB in the race, it's a QB battle and I think Santos wins easily.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Well sure, but still.

I see it this way.

1st round
2004: close win
2005 Blowout win

2nd round
2004: Blowout loss
2005: Close loss
2006: Close win? :D

Hey, at least if you lose you'd be the first A10 team to lose 3 straight years in the quarterfinals - something to be said for that! ;)

(note, I consider any year when you play football in December to be a success so I'm only teasing you with the poor quarterfinal performance!)

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Hey, at least if you lose you'd be the first A10 team to lose 3 straight years in the quarterfinals - something to be said for that! ;)

(note, I consider any year when you play football in December to be a success so I'm only teasing you with the poor quarterfinal performance!)

Ya, and who knows how that Game in Montana woulda turned out if David Ball had played. Santos had 347 passing yards could been 547 with Ball out there.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ya, and who knows how that Game in Montana woulda turned out if David Ball had played. Santos had 347 passing yards could been 547 with Ball out there.

And unless Santos and Ball could play defense Montana still would've put up 47 points on you - Ball playing would've made it closer than the 30 point final spread but I'm not sure that would've done it.

The home game last year against UNI is one UNH let get away - too many turnovers just killed them.

siugrad99
November 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
LOL yeah a "Nice" season. 99 % of all RB's would kill for a season like Arkie's. I love the A10 biased opinions. It was a for gone conclusion early in the season that Santos was going to win so I won't be surprised if it happens. Nothing new for fans of the A10 to give no respect to the Gateway.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
not totally on topic here but this is Santos game by game career stats.

http://travisliles.com/unhfootball/santos_career

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
not totally on topic here but this is Santos game by game career stats.

http://travisliles.com/unhfootball/santos_career

Funny...he might win it in what his statistically his least productive year.

Jackluv
November 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM
the voting was done before the playoffs so i wouldnt count Murrieta out.....i think jason might have a chance just because of his great comeback

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
the voting was done before the playoffs so i wouldnt count Murrieta out.....i think jason might have a chance just because of his great comeback

I'd be shocked if he wins it...Davon Fowlkes had close to 1800 yards receiving and over 110 catches and pretty much didn't win because ASU went 6-5. I'm not saying Murrieta doesn't win because the other guys had an additional game to their stuff...I'm saying that the sheer fact that his team was 6-5 will lose votes for him...

And, considering another guy has as many passing yards along with 500 rushing yards, and his team is 8-3 will likely trump him.

1AAFAN
November 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM
...I post this message not to debate Santos' performance this year but to give you an appreciation for it & how well deserved it would be if he wins. I would argue that if anyone actually saw Santos play this year, you wouldn't be disappointed with him holding the award. He is clearly the most dominant, best player on the field, every Saturday. His stats were down because the schedule was much tougher, he lost some tools on offense, & UNH tried to balance the offense with the run. And he was still the best in the country. To reverse the logic & emphasize the point that someone made about Murrietta's 6-5 record not getting it done for the WPA...there is no question that without Santos, UNH goes 6-5 (best case) vs. 8-3 & a playoff win...

For anyone interested: Santos is on track to break the NCAA D1 record for TDs.

With 98 career touchdown passes, he is on pace to setting the all-time touchdown passing mark of 121, held by Ty Detmer. He is in some good company by already surpassing on the list; Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Jim McMahon, Peyton Manning, Byron Leftwich , David Klingler, Philip Rivers, Kliff Kingsbury. The difference is Santos has 1 full year left. If you count his 22 career rushing TDs…I believe he is also on pace to break the all-time Total TD record.

FYI: other notable names on the list leading up to Detmer that he is in good position to pass: Matt Leinart (USC, 99), Chad Pennington (Marshall, 100), Danny Wuerffel (Florida, 114), Tim Rattay (Louisiana Tech, 115) and runner-up Tim Chang (Hawaii, 117).

Check out some of these quotes from independent observers after the Delaware game this year:

Coach K.C. Keeler: “He is the best player in the country. ... [a high profile alumni] told me that he had been going to games for fifty years or so and he thought that [performance] may have been as an impressive performance he has seen in a quarterback, including Gannon, ... and all the greats that have played at that stadium.”, Keeler also said “ . . it was as an impressive performance as I have ever seen a quarterback have.”

1AA.Org columnist Bruce Dowd: “Just simply put, flat out the best quarterback in the country, at any level…That was the single most dominating performance I have ever seen by one player in college football. Period!”

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
...I post this message not to debate Santos' performance this year but to give you an appreciation for it & how well deserved it would be if he wins. I would argue that if anyone actually saw Santos play this year, you wouldn't be disappointed with him holding the award. He is clearly the most dominant, best player on the field, every Saturday. His stats were down because the schedule was much tougher, he lost some tools on offense, & UNH tried to balance the offense with the run. And he was still the best in the country. To reverse the logic & emphasize the point that someone made about Murrietta's 6-5 record not getting it done for the WPA...there is no question that without Santos, UNH goes 6-5 (best case) vs. 8-3 & a playoff win...

For anyone interested: Santos is on track to break the NCAA D1 record for TDs.

With 98 career touchdown passes, he is on pace to setting the all-time touchdown passing mark of 121, held by Ty Detmer. He is in some good company by already surpassing on the list; Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Jim McMahon, Peyton Manning, Byron Leftwich , David Klingler, Philip Rivers, Kliff Kingsbury. The difference is Santos has 1 full year left. If you count his 22 career rushing TDs…I believe he is also on pace to break the all-time Total TD record.

FYI: other notable names on the list leading up to Detmer that he is in good position to pass: Matt Leinart (USC, 99), Chad Pennington (Marshall, 100), Danny Wuerffel (Florida, 114), Tim Rattay (Louisiana Tech, 115) and runner-up Tim Chang (Hawaii, 117).

Check out some of these quotes from independent observers after the Delaware game this year:

Coach K.C. Keeler: “He is the best player in the country. ... [a high profile alumni] told me that he had been going to games for fifty years or so and he thought that [performance] may have been as an impressive performance he has seen in a quarterback, including Gannon, ... and all the greats that have played at that stadium.”, Keeler also said “ . . it was as an impressive performance as I have ever seen a quarterback have.”

1AA.Org columnist Bruce Dowd: “Just simply put, flat out the best quarterback in the country, at any level…That was the single most dominating performance I have ever seen by one player in college football. Period!”

OK let me hit on a few things here. First Welcome to AGS its always great to welcome a New Hampshire Wildcat Fan!

it was I-AA football not 1-AA and is now The Football Championship Subdivision or FCS/CS for short.

I dispute you claim that Santos stats have been hurt by a tougher schedule. Check this link for his game by game stats... http://travisliles.com/unhfootball/santos_career You will see that the Hofstra games stats were very low, only attempting 3 passes because of the weather, they ran the ball all day. Also look at the Stony Brook game, UNH ran the ball 55 times for 417 yards that game thus bringing down Santos' numbers.

Santos arguably had his best statistical days against the tough opponents, Northwestern, James Madison, Massachusetts and Hampton. Also in comparrison to previous years he still has one game in hand to those seasons.

As for the Touchdown record. Detmer owns the I-A or FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) record which is lower then the FCS record of 140 held by Gramblings Bruce Eugene, but even that number is within striking distance for Santos as is the total Touchdowns record, he has 120, just 39 shy of Eugenes record of 159 (Santos: Passing 98, Rushing 21, Receiving 1)

GannonFan
November 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM
LOL yeah a "Nice" season. 99 % of all RB's would kill for a season like Arkie's. I love the A10 biased opinions. It was a for gone conclusion early in the season that Santos was going to win so I won't be surprised if it happens. Nothing new for fans of the A10 to give no respect to the Gateway.

Seriously, did you read my post? The past 4 RB winners of the Payton (Branch from the Patriot League, Westbrook from the A10, Ivory from the SoCon, and AP from the SoCon) all had significant statistical advantages over the numbers that Whitlock has this year - that was my point, not that you bothered to look it up, I'm sure. And that's RB's going back to 1998 or so. With such good QB's in the running this year, and with the best RB having stats that don't measure up favorably to past RB winners, that's why I don't think Whitlock will win it this year. I could care less what conference he plays in. Obviously it matters to you though. Pity. : smh :

DinoDex200
November 28th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Seriously, did you read my post? The past 4 RB winners of the Payton (Branch from the Patriot League, Westbrook from the A10, Ivory from the SoCon, and AP from the SoCon) all had significant statistical advantages over the numbers that Whitlock has this year - that was my point, not that you bothered to look it up, I'm sure. And that's RB's going back to 1998 or so. With such good QB's in the running this year, and with the best RB having stats that don't measure up favorably to past RB winners, that's why I don't think Whitlock will win it this year. I could care less what conference he plays in. Obviously it matters to you though. Pity. : smh :

To add to your point...no RB post 1990 has won the WP Award without amassing over 2,000 yards of total offense. I say that because Westbrook had 1600 yards rushing and 600 or so receiving (along with special teams work). Every other back besides Westbrook has rushed for at least 2,000 yards.

Can it be won without hitting that plateau? Absolutely. Do you need to at least come close to it? Yes...and 1500 yards ain't close.xcoffeex

GannonFan
November 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
To add to your point...no RB post 1990 has won the WP Award without amassing over 2,000 yards of total offense. I say that because Westbrook had 1600 yards rushing and 600 or so receiving (along with special teams work). Every other back besides Westbrook has rushed for at least 2,000 yards.

Can it be won without hitting that plateau? Absolutely. Do you need to at least come close to it? Yes...and 1500 yards ain't close.xcoffeex

I agree - Westbrook had only 1603 yards rushing when he won, but he also had 59 receptions and 2823 all purpose yards with 29 TD's. Branch had 2326 yards with 29 TD's, Ivory had 2079 yards with 16 TD's, AP had a whopping 2704 yards with 40 TD's, and even going back to 1998 with Azumah from UNH he had 2195 yards with 21 TD's. Like I said, Whitlock, with 1541 yards and 21 TD's at the end of the regular season, had a very nice year. Just not Payton Award worthy, though, especially with two very good QB's in Santos and Murrietta.

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I find this kind of funny though. On YSU's athletic site theres a article about the 1st team all Gateway and other awards. Marcus Mason got the Gateway Offensive Player of the Year award, and Arkee Whitlock is also in the conference. Yet Whitlock is in the final ballot for the Payton award and Mason isnt'...

GannonFan
November 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I find this kind of funny though. On YSU's athletic site theres a article about the 1st team all Gateway and other awards. Marcus Mason got the Gateway Offensive Player of the Year award, and Arkee Whitlock is also in the conference. Yet Whitlock is in the final ballot for the Payton award and Mason isnt'...

That is funny - Mason had better stats than Whitlock and was on the conference champion so that explains the POY award from the conference - not sure why Whitlock got more love from the national voters. Maybe it's anti-Penguin bias? xlolx

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Maybe..or it might be because Mason missed 2 games which really cut down his total. Add about 300 yards onto what he had at the end of the regular season and he's sittin at 1800 yards and 24 tds...Then 2 more td's after the playoff game. Thats a monster year even if he did fall short of 2000 yards.

Mason almost averaged 6 ypc, and 166 ypg.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Whitlock :nod: :bow: :nod: :bow: :nod: :bow:

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Don't get me wrong though, Whitlock is amazing. We played them in a conference game this year and he had over 200 yards. The only problem was Mason had like 40 more yards than whitlock had. Both are great RB's, thats just funny how the Offensive player of the year and the Payton award dissagreed.

kardplayer
November 28th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Mason's numbers definitely look more impressive on a game-to-game basis, especially if you focus on games vs. quality opponents.

I'd give him the #2 slot behind Santos with Whitlock a very close 3rd.