PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Sagarin rankings

UAalum72
August 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Obviously not worth much yet, but a start.

centennial
August 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM
According to Saragin NDSU is a 19 point favorite against Montana, Other thoughts- UNI 2nd strongest FCS team, ISU 3rd, YSU too high, SDSU might be too high.

UNH72Plus
August 16th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Another example of Sagarin's ongoing love affair with the MVC. Nothing really to go on yet, but I think NDSU is too high. I obviously think UNH is way too low!

taper
August 16th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Another example of Sagarin's ongoing love affair with the MVC. Nothing really to go on yet, but I think NDSU is too high. I obviously think UNH is way too low!
Do you honestly think a computer is unfairly biased towards a conference that didn't lose a single non-conference FCS game all season and put 2 in the championship game? I agree that UNH is too low in that list, but preseason polls are always pretty rough.

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Do you honestly think a computer is unfairly biased towards a conference that didn't lose a single non-conference FCS game all season and put 2 in the championship game? I agree that UNH is too low in that list, but preseason polls are always pretty rough.

Indiana state lost to chattanooga, but either way MVC is the best, UNI is not a top 5 team, and this is the same poll that had Bethune cookman ranked 4th in all of D1 over halfway through the season a couple years ago.

taper
August 16th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Indiana state lost to chattanooga, but either way MVC is the best, UNI is not a top 5 team, and this is the same poll that had Bethune cookman ranked 4th in all of D1 over halfway through the season a couple years ago.
I meant regular season, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Cocky
August 16th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Who puts information into computers?
I don't believe UAT is the best team in the nation.

centennial
August 16th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Curious, why do you think NDSU is too high? At 48, we are barely within top 50.

RootinFerDukes
August 16th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I'm very curious how new programs Kennesaw State and East Tennessee State aren't ranked as the two worst teams due to not playing any games. I'm guessing it's ranking their SOS and decides they're better than some teams that have actually played football games in the past?
Likewise, new FBS team Charlotte is the worst ranked FBS team. That makes sense since they have not played FBS games to prove that they deserve to be ranked higher.

bison137
August 16th, 2015, 07:59 PM

Sagarin right now is simply a weighted average of the last few years. No attempt to adjust for this year in any way.

Go...gate
August 17th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Fordham and Bucknell 1-2 among Patriot League teams.

mvemjsunpx
August 17th, 2015, 04:34 AM
I meant regular season, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Montana beat South Dakota

RootinFerDukes
August 17th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Montana beat South Dakota
Shhh. He's trying to make up an inflated statistic that favors his opinion that the MVFC is this an unstoppable force.
Please stop putting fact into this fantasy.

HailSzczur
August 17th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Based on 2014 data 2015 Nova would be a 15 point favorite @UConn
Based on 2015 preseason data Nova would be a 1 point favorite @UConn

centennial
August 17th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Shhh. He's trying to make up an inflated statistic that favors his opinion that the MVFC is this an unstoppable force.
Please. 2 losses in 25 games including the playoffs. South Dakota was close to knocking of Montana and they went winless in the MVFC. Computers aren't biased people are. Indiana State barely got in (they were extremely lucky with some of their games) and they still blew away EKU before losing to Chatt.

RootinFerDukes
August 17th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Please. 2 losses in 25 games including the playoffs. South Dakota was close to knocking of Montana and they went winless in the MVFC. Computers aren't biased people are. Indiana State barely got in (they were extremely lucky with some of their games) and they still blew away EKU before losing to Chatt.

except that another ndsu poster was claiming that the MVC went undefeated against FCS in the regular season, which is factually incorrect.

clenz
August 17th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Yep...

Our last place team, which lost every MVFC game by an average of 20 points and over 100 yards of offense, was beaten by 8 in a game in Montana.

What shame the MVFC should feel over that one.

Sycamore62
August 17th, 2015, 09:08 AM
except that another ndsu poster was claiming that the MVC went undefeated against FCS in the regular season, which is factually incorrect.

The MVC doesn't compete in the FCS

MVFC would be factually correct.

RootinFerDukes
August 17th, 2015, 09:14 AM
The MVC doesn't compete in the FCS

MVFC would be factually correct.
excuse me for forgetting to put the F in there. CAA football and the CAA olympic sports conference are technically separate entities, but I still choose to view them as one in the same. Why? Maybe it's because their names and a number of their teams are exactly the same.

BEAR
August 17th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I don't like it because Sagarin doesn't look at "incidentals" that happen with football teams.

For example, they have the pigs ranked 19. SEC team, improving but has only won like 8 games in 3 years.
Plus add the fact that they lost half of their potent run game yesterday due to a broken foot. Now the QB has to make plays and he has proven he can't do it. That alone should knock them WAAAY down.
But no. Sagarin can't see those "incidentals" that influence the strength of a team.

Works the other way too. Some teams pick up players that instantly improve their offense or defense yet aren't calculated in that equation.

Boggles the mind. xlolx

Sycamore62
August 17th, 2015, 09:18 AM
excuse me for forgetting to put the F in there. CAA football and the CAA olympic sports conference are technically separate entities, but I still choose to view them as one in the same. Why? Maybe it's because their names and a number of their teams are exactly the same.

Honestly I have no problem with it. The poster you were correcting probably forgot USD was in the conference and forgot to include their 1 ooc loss.

I know people have forgot ISUb in the past, unless their team was looking for a win.

clenz
August 17th, 2015, 09:51 AM
The Colonial Athletic Association Football Conference officially recognizes CAA as an acronym.

The Missouri Valley Football Conference does not recognize MVC

chattownmocs
August 17th, 2015, 09:53 AM
There is lots of evidence to suggest the mvc has 5 or 6 top 25 teams. There is none that suggests it has more than 2 top 10 teams.

Cocky
August 17th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Yep...

Our last place team, which lost every MVFC game by an average of 20 points and over 100 yards of offense, was beaten by 8 in a game in Montana.

What shame the MVFC should feel over that one.

Your first place team only beat Montana by 12? Which was closer than your 3rd place team played them.

clenz
August 17th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Your first place team only beat Montana by 12? Which was closer than your 3rd place team played them.
Our third place team didn't play Montana last year...our third place team beat both NDSU and Illinois State last season.

If you watch the NDSU/Montana game you'd quickly see that game wasn't nearly as close as the score. Kudos to Montana's defense for forcing the field goals but NDSU completely dominated that game.

Grizalltheway
August 17th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Our third place team didn't play Montana last year...our third place team beat both NDSU and Illinois State last season.

If you watch the NDSU/Montana game you'd quickly see that game wasn't nearly as close as the score. Kudos to Montana's defense for forcing the field goals but NDSU completely dominated that game.

And the USD game wasn't as close as the score indicates.

Gee, this is fun.

clenz
August 17th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Gee, this is fun.
Great...

You throttled a USD team that is 3-21 in 3 years of MVFC play, is outscored by 20.87 points per game and out gained by about 108 yards per game in MVFC play.

Welcome to doing to USD what is standard to USD in the MVFC.

centennial
August 17th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Great...

You throttled a USD team that is 3-21 in 3 years of MVFC play, is outscored by 20.87 points per game and out gained by about 108 yards per game in MVFC play.

Welcome to doing to USD what is standard to USD in the MVFC.

I watched that game. USD got tripped up by the noise, Montana was in trouble a few times. That game was 2-3 plays away from a win/loss. Clearly, my recollection of events don't match Montana fans. IMO teams looked similar with a slight edge to Montana with the home field advantage.

Hammerhead
August 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Sagarin right now is simply a weighted average of the last few years. No attempt to adjust for this year in any way.

Looking at the top 25 rankings within the FCS, 12 teams' rankings are unchanged from the end of last year, 8 have moved up or down 1 spot and the remaining 5 moved up or down 2 spots. It's how you are ranked at the end of the season that counts. Everybody is 0-0 now. :)

jtthenutt
August 17th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Clenz...nice to see you again. I hear that I will like this more than Panther Nation

clenz
August 17th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Clenz...nice to see you again. I hear that I will like this more than Panther Nation
There's a reason I'm here and not there.

This is a more worldly place than PantherNation - or any home team board.

Also more fun once you figure out who the good people are and who to avoid (BisonFan02)....xcoffeex

UNIFanSince1983
August 18th, 2015, 08:23 AM

This place is so much better than Panther Nation. Glad to see more Panther fans here!

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 08:34 AM
This place is so much better than Panther Nation. Glad to see more Panther fans here!
You'll be seeing....or hearing...from JT much more as the season goes on.

I think you'll like it

kalm
August 19th, 2015, 08:37 AM
MVFC dominates the subdivision. MVFC fans still greedy for more wins.

clenz
August 19th, 2015, 08:56 AM
MVFC dominates the subdivision. MVFC fans still greedy for more wins.
we want all the wins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLD-7bCtME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

BisonFan02
August 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM
There's a reason I'm here and not there.

This is a more worldly place than PantherNation - or any home team board.

Also more fun once you figure out who the good people are and who to avoid (BisonFan02)....xcoffeex

HEY! **** you too! xlolx

IBleedYellow
August 19th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Get a room you two (three). JT welcome to the BF02/Clenz love affair. You just turned it into a love triangle.

clenz
August 19th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Get a room you two (three). JT welcome to the BF02/Clenz love affair. You just turned it into a love triangle.
I hope JT's beard tickles, not pokes.

He needs to learn our secret xhandshakex

BisonFan02
August 19th, 2015, 02:39 PM
I hope JT's beard tickles, not pokes.

He needs to learn our secret xhandshakex

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2753015/lattimer-alvin-mack-spitting-o.gif

UNH Fanboi
August 20th, 2015, 06:00 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2753015/lattimer-alvin-mack-spitting-o.gif

Classic!

deez_na
August 21st, 2015, 02:24 PM

Gee, this is fun.

won by 8, outgained SD by 17 yards. 3 turnovers for SD to only lose by 8. A couple plays here or there and you are saying this game wasn't near as close as the score indicates?