PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire loses QB recruit...

JMU Duke Dog
June 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
New Hampshire lost QB recruit Jacob Crook when he decided he'd rather play baseball at a junior college than battle for depth positioning for New Hampshire's QB. It seems like there are a lot of talented QB's that will be at New Hampshire for quite some time into the future even with losing this recruit.

UNH recruit throws change-up
By ALLEN LESSELS
Union Leader Sports
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=56701

The University of New Hampshire football team is not as deep at the quarterback position as it had appeared.

UNH coach Sean McDonnell said yesterday that Jacob Crook, who was due to report to Durham on Aug. 8 for the opening of fall camp, is not coming.

Crook, a heavily recruited quarterback out of Glendora (Calif.) High School, has decided instead to play baseball in college and is planning to attend junior college, McDonnell said.

“After the baseball season, he sat down with his dad and some type of mentor and decided it would be in his best interests to go the junior college route and play baseball,” McDonnell said.

Crook had been recruited by 1-A programs and originally planned to attend the University of Nevada. But after a coaching change at that school, he looked around again and settled on UNH.

“It’s a bit of a disappointment,” McDonnell said. “But it’s his decision and you can’t blame the kid for wanting to pursue another sport. We’d obviously like to have him here. But it’s his and his family’s decision that his future is in baseball.”

Crook passed for 1,596 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior and was a three-year starter.

Rivals.com had him rated as the 26th best quarterback recruit in the country and The Sports Network listed him as the fourth best 1-AA recruit overall.

The good news from UNH’s side is that quarterback is still one of the team’s strong points.

Ricky Santos, who became a surprise starter when Mike Granieri went down with a knee injury in the first half of the first game against Delaware last fall, will be only a sophomore.

Santos completed 64 percent of his passes for 3,318 yards and 31 touchdowns and had 10 interceptions.

There is a job to be won as his backup. Hank Hendricks, another quarterback from California, enrolled in school in January and took part in spring practice and will be a freshman. Bruce Elia sat out last fall and is a redshirt freshman.

And Chris Alexander, out of Riverview High School in Florida, will be a true freshman and is touted as an athletic quarterback who can run and throw.

youwouldno
June 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Somethings amiss if someone that good in football plays baseball at a JC.

Ronbo
June 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Rivals.com had him rated as the 26th best quarterback recruit in the country and The Sports Network listed him as the fourth best 1-AA recruit overall.

That's funny he is ranked so high with those numbers. I'll take our QB recruit Clint Stapp who was also a Pro Baseball prospect but chose football because he loves it more. Clint is 6'3", 205, is also a 3 year starter and passed for 2200 yards, 23 TD's, and rushed for 6 TD's. Now I ask how this other kid is ranked so high when he passed for 1596 yards and 13 TD's??????

LBPop
June 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE Now I ask how this other kid is ranked so high when he passed for 1596 yards and 13 TD's??????[/QUOTE]

Comparing high school players is, at best, a sophisticated guess. Statistics really mean very little when the competition can vary so greatly. I think most of these services like Rivals depend on film and anecdotal information from local observers. Then they check out the combines and give it their best shot.

colgate13
June 30th, 2005, 01:01 PM
This actually says to me that the kid rethought leaving sunny CA for college and going to cold, far away UNH. We all have to remember these are 17/18 year old boys who might get homesick.

I'd blame the high school girlfriend going to UC Davis. ;)

Ronbo
June 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Comparing high school players is, at best, a sophisticated guess. Statistics really mean very little when the competition can vary so greatly. I think most of these services like Rivals depend on film and anecdotal information from local observers. Then they check out the combines and give it their best shot.

Yes, that makes sense. Clint was one of the top Baseball players in Colorado and didn't attend any combines because he was playing baseball all summer. It was said that Colorado and CSU were both interested in him but didn't persue him because as a top baseball prospect they thought he would opt to go pro baseball. Their loss, our gain.