PDA

View Full Version : Montana State @ Appalachian (Football Talk)

Pages : [1] 2

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Discuss :)

CopperCat
November 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM
We know for SURE it will be much warmer in Boone that it was in Bozeman today! Cripes!!!:eek:

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
If the flight and travel effects the Bobcats as much as it did the Paladins, I would expect an ASU victory.

the Cats have a great defense against the run. They did a good job limiting what Furman could do. However, again, homefield is homefield and the Apps just don't lose at home. MSU's dream (like so many others) gets crushed in the shadow of Grandfather Mountain.

Appguy
November 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
We know for SURE it will be much warmer in Boone that it was in Bozeman today! Cripes!!!

That could be debatable.
what was the temp there?

FUwolfpacker
November 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
That could be debatable.
what was the temp there?

low 20's

Appguy
November 25th, 2006, 06:59 PM
its possible in boone

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 07:03 PM
We know for SURE it will be much warmer in Boone that it was in Bozeman today! Cripes!!!:eek:

don't know about that FTG, here's the early line from raysweather.com on next weekends weather (Friday is the latest currently available)

Friday - Mostly cloudy; Turning sharply colder; Snow showers possible; Windy; High in the lower 30s; Low near 20 degrees

Friday we'll feel the coldest air of the season so far as a cold airmass out of Western Canada arrives. It's far too early for details, but a precipitation changeover to snow showers is possible late Thursday night lasting into Friday. It will be windy and temperatures will fall through the day Friday.
:D

windwalker
November 25th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Heck... don't matter... if it is warmer, just will heat Edwards up... best Freshman QB in football...

crunifan
November 25th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry, but people from North Carolina NEVER. I repeat NEVER reserve the right to say it is cold outside in the presence for northerners.

It may get to 20 in North Carolina, but when it gets to -20 then you have my permission to complain!

Griz40
November 25th, 2006, 07:07 PM
don't know about that FTG, here's the early line from raysweather.com on next weekends weather (Friday is the latest currently available)

Friday - Mostly cloudy; Turning sharply colder; Snow showers possible; Windy; High in the lower 30s; Low near 20 degrees

Friday we'll feel the coldest air of the season so far as a cold airmass out of Western Canada arrives. It's far too early for details, but a precipitation changeover to snow showers is possible late Thursday night lasting into Friday. It will be windy and temperatures will fall through the day Friday.

the cats should feel right at home then!

grizbeer
November 25th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Cat's play better on the road anyways, Go Cats's.

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
It may get to 20 in North Carolina, but when it gets to -20 then you have my permission to complain!

been there, done that too in Boone!

Let's just say both teams will be "at home" in the weather on Saturday.

Griz0383
November 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM
From a griz perspective the Cats play tough on the road so any APP fans thinking the west can play will be dissappointed. Cats play D and will give them some trouble!

Appguy
November 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
while the cats may play better on the road we havent lost at home in like 4 years

CopperCat
November 25th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Nice!!! We'd be right at home with the white stuff on the ground!

CopperCat
November 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
From a griz perspective the Cats play tough on the road so any APP fans thinking the west can play will be dissappointed. Cats play D and will give them some trouble!

Hellz yeah!:nod:

fencer24
November 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM
while the cats may play better on the road we havent lost at home in like 4 years

Irresistable force versus immovable object? Could answer a lot of philosopher questions next week.

chuges1
November 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Well it will be fun to see if we can play well enough to make that a statement like, "We hadn't lost a home game in 4 years,.....until the Cats came along." :nod: Good Luck App, should be a good game. GO CATS!!!!

CATFAN4LIFE
November 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
CATS Will Come To Play.....this team has found itself.....FINALLY!

Mountaineer
November 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I think our guys will be ready to play as well. Sheesh. :thumbsup:

proasu89
November 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, but people from North Carolina NEVER. I repeat NEVER reserve the right to say it is cold outside in the presence for northerners.

Those are mighty strong words coming from a team that plays indoors.
:rotateh:

Appguy
November 25th, 2006, 08:13 PM
weve seen -20 with wind plenty of times. people underestimate boone since its in NC but its at over 3000 feet elevation

Peems
November 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
one thing going for the cats is they wont be intimidated in kidd brewer. theyve played at colorado and also at Wa/Griz they will be ready for the hostile environment.

crunifan
November 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Those are mighty strong words coming from a team that plays indoors.
:rotateh:

Just because we play indoors doesn't mean we don't go outside.

It gets cold in Cedar Falls, but the wind is the killer. You should come up here sometime and walk to class with us UNI students. You will learn to ice skate at the same time! :nod:

Mountaineer
November 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM

It gets cold in Cedar Falls, but the wind is the killer. You should come up here sometime and walk to class with us UNI students. You will learn to ice skate at the same time! :nod:

Having gone to school at both, it's the same man. Walking to class in the dead of winter in Cedar Falls is the same as it is Boone.

It's a wash in describing which is colder. I've been cold enough to cry in both towns. ;)

MountaineerDrive
November 25th, 2006, 08:25 PM

I'd wager that Boone is just as windy in the winter as Cedar Falls.:twocents:

Slackjaw
November 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
My weather can kick your weather's butt.

MountaineerDrive
November 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.montanagreenpower.com/wind/uswind.html

If you know where Boone is we're in the DARK blue.

Griz40
November 25th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Funny. Weather won't be a factor. If it is cold, the Cats will be right at home, if it is warm they will be loving it because Boone is typically warmer than Bozeman. You can't argue that fact at all. So, weather aside...this should be a good game. God it is still funny saying this but...GO CATS!

DinoDex200
November 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
This will be a toughie. We looked unstoppable in the 1st against CCU, average in the 2nd. I'm sure part of that is attributable to having a big lead and playing a little closer to the vest...

However, we haven't faced a Big Sky team since the 2000 playoffs...and we all know how that ended. We get this one at home, but we better play mistake free football or there could be rumblings about an all Big Sky State Final...

I am hoping for some snow and cold anyway. That"s football weather!! :hurray: :hurray:

CopperCat
November 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
This will be a toughie. We looked unstoppable in the 1st against CCU, average in the 2nd. I'm sure part of that is attributable to having a big lead and playing a little closer to the vest...

However, we haven't faced a Big Sky team since the 2000 playoffs...and we all know how that ended. We get this one at home, but we better play mistake free football or there could be rumblings about an all Big Sky State Final...

I am hoping for some snow and cold anyway. That"s football weather!! :hurray: :hurray:

Amen brother. I'll drink to that!

AppStWill
November 25th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I started off for class one day in Boone and ice had formed on the inside of my windshield. Therefore I went back to my apartment and cracked a beer. :thumbsup:

Speaking of wind.....it gets pretty windy near Boone....

http://www.wfmy.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=55427

:eek: :eek: :eek:

GGASU
November 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Boone Averages...
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNC0072?from=search

Cedar Falls Averages...
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USIA0137?from=search

Cedar Falls wins the Colder Town Award :hurray: :hurray: xcoffeex

App Storm
November 25th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Let's pray the App State v. Montana St. game doesn't get an Officials team from the Patriot League. The officials we had tonight in Boone were AWFUL. Seriously, they are solely responsible for 21 of Coastal Carolina's 28 points. May God have mercy on any game in the second rounds that gets this particular officiation crew.

james_lawfirm
November 25th, 2006, 10:26 PM
My weather can kick your weather's butt.

Nice. Now, can we actually talk about football? Or, do Montana folks just talk about their weather?

What are MSU's strengths & weaknesses?

ASU has speed at every position. We are sometimes vulnerable to a running game between the tackles, but few teams do this. Our closest game was Wofford, 14 - 7, where they played smash-mouth, straight ahead football. On offense, stopping Edwards is a SERIOUS challenge. He's quicker than a squirrel, and has a good arm. Today, against CCU he ran for 172 & passed for 224, +/-. Our kicking game is top notch as well. It is tough to be down by 10 or more to Coach Moore. He manages the clock better than anyone.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Yeah, I remember. You guys took a good Griz team into overtime at Washington-Grizzly.

MSU probably still feels they have something to prove, and will play tough, but they won't be able to end the home winning streak for ASU. I really don't think that MSU has the offense to get by ASU's defense, and I don't know if they will be ready for Edwards and Richardson on the offense. People keep saying that with AE being a freshman, he is bound to slip up and choke in one, but he has been consistant all season and ASU has won some big games (including the 40-7 thrashing of Furman, the defeat of JMU, a very angry and fired up GSU team at Paulson, and a convincing win over Coastal).

Apps by 14 or so.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM
If the flight and travel effects the Bobcats as much as it did the Paladins, I would expect an ASU victory.

the Cats have a great defense against the run. They did a good job limiting what Furman could do. However, again, homefield is homefield and the Apps just don't lose at home. MSU's dream (like so many others) gets crushed in the shadow of Grandfather Mountain.

Well, the Bobcats might as well not even get on the plane then, huh? I mean, they aren't even supposed to BE in the playoffs, and they never had a chance against mighty Furman, after all. Maybe they should just save the money and forfeit....My guess is MSU surprises another SoCon team, just like Furman. They may not WIN, but I doubt there'll be any "crush"ing going on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GreatAppSt
November 25th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Congrats Bobcats!:thumbsup: Because I have never seen MSU play in person, I predict another drive to Boone from Delaware for G.A.S.xcoffeex

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
gas, i'm liking this wireless stuff!

GSUhooligan
November 25th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I've said since November 12th that Furman will go down in the 1st round and App. St will go in the second. I'm half right, and my prediction will come true this Saturday. Both teams are/were highly over rated. App. St just didn't wow me when I saw them in person, and don't give me that "we played you at Paulson" crap. Wofford, Central Arkansas, Central Connecticut, and North Dakota beat us in less time. Your only quality win was against a team that will be sitting the rest of the playoffs out. Not only has Montana St. beat a BCS team that would probably beat NCSU, they also play well on the road, and will not be intimitdated by your over-inflated attendance. Go Cats!

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Let's pray the App State v. Montana St. game doesn't get an Officials team from the Patriot League. The officials we had tonight in Boone were AWFUL. Seriously, they are solely responsible for 21 of Coastal Carolina's 28 points. May God have mercy on any game in the second rounds that gets this particular officiation crew.

we had A-10 officials

AlphaSigMD
November 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I've said since November 12th that Furman will go down in the 1st round and App. St will go in the second. I'm half right, and my prediction will come true this Saturday. Both teams are/were highly over rated. App. St just didn't wow me when I saw them in person, and don't give me that "we played you at Paulson" crap. Wofford, Central Arkansas, Central Connecticut, and North Dakota beat us in less time. Your only quality win was against a team that will be sitting the rest of the playoffs out. Not only has Montana St. beat a BCS team that would probably beat NCSU, they also play well on the road, and will not be intimitdated by your over-inflated attendance. Go Cats!

So, ASU has its worse game of the year against an underachieving yet highly talented team, in a building where it has always difficulty, and with rivalry implications on the line, AND all the while being the potential salvation of GSU's horrible season........and because we WIN in a less than spectacular way, we are lesser than a 7-4 team that lost to a division 2 team, and 45-0 to a team that didn't play in the playoffs? Last time I checked, nobody in the FCS has beaten us in more than a year, and nobody has beaten us at home since 2002. Thats amazing statesboro logic for you...

Or sour grapes...

Regardless of what is said above to make a point, I do respect MSU as a team, because its obvious that they are neither the team to lost to the D2 and PSU, nor are they the team that beat Colorado (as the hooligan above was so apt to point out).

I predict that MSU comes to ASU, plays some good defense and has a tough day on offense.

ASU by 11

And maybe it sounds biased and homerish...but the fact of the matter is this ASU team is not going to go down at home...not with defense this good and a superstar named K-rich.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM
So, ASU has its worse game of the year against an underachieving yet highly talented team, in a building where it has always difficulty, and with rivalry implications on the line, AND all the while being the potential salvation of GSU's horrible season........and because we WIN in a less than spectacular way, we are lesser than a 7-4 team that lost to a division 2 team, and 45-0 to a team that didn't play in the playoffs? Last time I checked, nobody in the FCS has beaten us in more than a year, and nobody has beaten us at home since 2002. Thats amazing statesboro logic for you...

Or sour grapes...

Regardless of what is said above to make a point, I do respect MSU as a team, because its obvious that they are neither the team to lost to the D2 and PSU, nor are they the team that beat Colorado (as the hooligan above was so apt to point out).

I predict that MSU comes to ASU, plays some good defense and has a tough day on offense.

ASU by 11

And maybe it sounds biased and homerish...but the fact of the matter is this ASU team is not going to go down at home...not with defense this good and a superstar named K-rich.

MSU beat PSU 14-0. :cool: :cool:

Just the facts, ma'am. :thumbsup:

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2006, 11:46 PM
MSU does have one thing working for them. The two teams that have eliminated the Paladins the past two years ended up national champs.

chuges1
November 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM
and because we WIN in a less than spectacular way, we are lesser than a 7-4 team that lost to a division 2 team, and 45-0 to a team that didn't play in the playoffs?

O please dont bring up the D2 loss AGAIN!!! I know we lost but come on, that should not make us look like a lesser opponent...and for that matter those couple losses were at the beginning of the season and if i remember correctly we lost 3 then didnt lose again until we played Montana and did pretty well right? Just saying we are a completely different team than we were in the start. Ask any Griz fan what they thought of our performance....as you can see they all are holding our backs (which i understand that they are from MT also but still....this rivalry goes deep and for them to do that is amazing in my opinion). GO CATS!!!

BelgradeBobcat
November 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
MSU does have one thing working for them. The two teams that have eliminated the Paladins the past two years ended up national champs.

That's what I'm hangin' my hat on. :thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM
O please dont bring up the D2 loss AGAIN!!! I know we lost but come on, that should not make us look like a lesser opponent...and for that matter those couple losses were at the beginning of the season and if i remember correctly we lost 3 then didnt lose again until we played Montana and did pretty well right? Just saying we are a completely different team than we were in the start. Ask any Griz fan what they thought of our performance....as you can see they all are holding our backs (which i understand that they are from MT also but still....this rivalry goes deep and for them to do that is amazing in my opinion). GO CATS!!!

Don't hold your hand on your ass waiting for chocolates and flowers, chuges. I'm defending the BSC in general, and not the Cats specifically. They just happen to be the target of the most abuse since they made the playoffs. ;) :p

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Don't hold your hand on your ass waiting for chocolates and flowers, chuges. I'm defending the BSC in general, and not the Cats specifically. They just happen to be the target of the most abuse since they made the playoffs. ;) :p

Hey, at least you guys don't have that lunatic MplsBison screaming in every thread about how bad the SoCon sucks this year. :thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hey, at least you guys don't have that lunatic MplsBison screaming in every thread about how bad the SoCon sucks this year. :thumbsup:

MplsBison hit a nerve there, Mountaineer? :D :D :D :D

Apparently he's basing his judgement on NDSU's thrashing of powerful GSU, while ASU "barely" squeaked by. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)
Using that logic, NSDU should just be crowned now and the rest of the games called off.

AlphaSigMD
November 26th, 2006, 12:08 AM
MSU beat PSU 14-0. :cool: :cool:

Just the facts, ma'am. :thumbsup:

Yes, you are right.

That was a mental mistake that I regret. I had referenced that UC Davis win earlier in the thread and managed to get signals crossed somewhere. But, more importantly, i've got only excuses...no explanations...

To remedy this I will go research some random fact to wow you all with...(later)

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Yes, you are right.

That was a mental mistake that I regret. I had referenced that UC Davis win earlier in the thread and managed to get signals crossed somewhere. But, more importantly, i've got only excuses...no explanations...

To remedy this I will go research some random fact to wow you all with...(later)

We await your research with baited breath. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Nope, we're definitely having a bad year overall. However, I've never seen anyone with a hardon for the misfortune of a conference like this guy. ;)

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 12:11 AM
MplsBison hit a nerve there, Mountaineer? :D :D :D :D

Apparently he's basing his judgement on NDSU's thrashing of powerful GSU, while ASU "barely" squeaked by. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)
Using that logic, NSDU should just be crowned now and the rest of the games called off.

Yup, kind like the James Madion fans who pretty much crowned themselves king..road games a formality..Mickey is pissed!!!11!!, etc.. :rolleyes: ;)

We can see where that got 'em. Heh. :smiley_wi

AlphaSigMD
November 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM

Ok, deal. No more of the D2 talk.

However, i will equate MSU with Notre Dame on this level (yet, ND had only 1 loss early on). No matter what, ND could not make up for that early loss to Michigan. Losing to USC tonight (which, by the way, put me on the verge of tears) I would equate to losing at Washington Griz..........so, in all fairness, I will consider the aformentioned situation a closed topic.....because thats what I would want for my Irish.

CopperCat
November 26th, 2006, 12:30 AM

However, i will equate MSU with Notre Dame on this level (yet, ND had only 1 loss early on). No matter what, ND could not make up for that early loss to Michigan. Losing to USC tonight (which, by the way, put me on the verge of tears) I would equate to losing at Washington Griz..........so, in all fairness, I will consider the aformentioned situation a closed topic.....because thats what I would want for my Irish.

The situation may be somewhat similar but MSU has something that ND certainly does not: defense. Don't worry, I love my Irish too, so I'm not just ranking on them indiscriminately.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM
irish=most overrated team in football. but back to the CS...

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
irish=most perennially overrated team in football. but back to the CS...

....fixed it for ya there, Peems. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
....fixed it for ya there, Peems. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thank you.:)

NC Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM
looking forward to welcoming a team from the west to Boone! especially since I-AA teams rarely get a chance to travel this far, and because the Bobcats beat Colorado and Furman

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 09:11 AM

So, by your standard CCSU should cream Appalachian? Jealousy is not very becoming. And, you shouldn't be so jealous, we've got one NC to GSU's six...come on man. I am glad to see you're not pulling for Appalachian because they're in the SoCon as I always pull against GSU...

AlphaSigMD
November 26th, 2006, 09:15 AM
We await your research with baited breath. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Well, you may have to wait a little longer...because I want this to be really good.

Something much bigger than little things like...baby's are born without kneecaps, eating just 1 cigarette is enough to kill an adult man, and gas prices in Boone the last time ASU lost at the Rock were 1.27 a gallon...

I want it to be earth shaking and groundbreaking...and even somewhat football related.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Who gives a crap about Notre Dame? Pick a real football team like...North Carolina (err...did I say football, I meant basketball) xlolx : smh :

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Well, you may have to wait a little longer...because I want this to be really good.

Something much bigger than little things like...baby's are born without kneecaps, eating just 1 cigarette is enough to kill an adult man, and gas prices in Boone the last time ASU lost at the Rock were 1.27 a gallon...

I want it to be earth shaking and groundbreaking...and even somewhat football related.

It had better be something astonishing if you're going to talk up this much, buddy. It had also be better than "last time ASU lost at home Bush's approval rating was good" (63%)...as opposed to now (34%).

Appguy
November 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM
i beleive our last home loss was 11/30/2002 14-13 loss to maine

bLeed_bLack_N_goLd
November 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I've been browsing this board for awhile (2yrs, give or take). Thought I would stop sitting back, and add to the discussions.

AppStateSVX
November 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM
i beleive our last home loss was 11/30/2002 14-13 loss to maine

I was there....and that was when I was a freshmen in High School.

anyways, how well do you guys think MSU will travel? I was kinda disappointed with CCU's lack of attendance when last year they brought a LOT of people.

catamount man
November 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Congrats to App.State and best of luck against the boys from Bozeman.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM
MSU will not bring very many people.......... I mean its a arm and leg to fly to Winston Salem or Raliegh and then get a rental car, hotel in Boone on a playoff weekend and such. Coastal brought a fair amount of folks because they are only a state away.

Expect only ASU fans and a few MSU fans here and there.......gonna be a good one. Is this one gonna be on ESPN2?? I hope so since I'll be in South Carolina this weekend. Any word on the TV sit. would be great.

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I've been browsing this board for awhile (2yrs, give or take). Thought I would stop sitting back, and add to the discussions.

Always good to have more of us on here.....welcome.

AppStateMan
November 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
ASU should win this game IF the defense gets healthy. As soon as Billy Riddle (the backup safety for an injured Corey Lynch) went out, CCU exposed that position by completing many deep passes in the 2nd half. Also, our secondary had trouble tracking down a few CCU breakaways.
With that said, Corey Lynch practiced last week and he should be starting this weekend against Montana State. We miss his speed and his ability to intercept those deep passes!
Our offence seems to be on a roll and I don't see any teams stopping us. We have a true double threat with Richardson and Edwards. Mr. Mayfield at wide receiver is probably the best in I-AA. Mayfield can take hit after hit until he is laying in the end zone. At 6-2 and 220lbs, this guy is Edwards’s favorite target.
The Apps roll in this game and win by 21 or more.

Cleets
November 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
This game shouldn't even be close right?

The article I read on the App.State website called Coastal Carolina "the 13th ranked" well the Bobcats are like 19th .... or lower even...

Clearly they are not as good (right?) hence the significantly lower ranking and all... plus they're starting QB is out, I mean this should be an Ass Kicking (right?)

am I missing something?

Sam Adams
November 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM

The article I read on the App.State website called Coastal Carolina "the 13th ranked" well the Bobcats are like 19th .... or lower even...

Clearly they are not as good (right?) hence the significantly lower ranking and all... plus they're starting QB is out, I mean this should be an Ass Kicking (right?)

am I missing something?

Don't think so. According to the App fans this thing is merely a walkthrough drill for App state since a) they are invincible at the rock and b) montana state sucks and cannot possibly be competative with app state.

Seems like a done deal. The Bobcats should just stay home.

GrizRchattybound
November 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM
For the record: NOT a Bobcat fan.... at all!

However - when they are clicking....lookout. no matter who or where.

They kinda have a chip on their shoulder right now...and they would follow the large human (HC Mike Kramer) to hell and back. He has them convinced "Anything is possible"

my 2 cents - Go Griz

P.S> - I'm glad that they are int he other bracket. I would love to see us both win out and play in Chatty. LOL!

3333ftabovethesea
November 26th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Dec 2 More Details Plenty of sunshine. Winds from the NE at 9 mph.Realfeel®: 41 °FHigh: 47 °FSaturday Night, Dec 2More Details Clear. Winds from the ENE at 7 mph.Realfeel®: 25 °FLow: 29 °F

MCCat
November 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry App St fans, I won't be able to make it to Boone, although I'm sure it would be fun...but, I'm banking on a Cat/Griz rematch in Chatty and have already "informed" the boss (my wife) that I'm going to Tennessee to watch the Cats get redemption and their 4th NC!:hurray:

Go Cats...and I guess Go Griz, don't let us down :D

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM

It's been to minus-19 in Boone since I've lived here and we quite frequently get temps in the minus range during the winter. People were making a big deal about Furman having to travel to 4,000-foot elevation for the Montana State game, but Kidd Brewer Stadium sits at 3,333 feet, not that much difference. Folks we live in the mountains, even if it is the south. I've seen some pretty bad weather games in November and December at KBS.

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
According to the App fans this thing is merely a walkthrough drill for App state

All App fans feel this way? a.) Are you sure? b.)Blanket statements are usually wrong and make you sound silly:thumbsup: c.) Pigeon holeing any teams fans as a whole is unwise:read: and makes future contributions of yours easier to kick to the curb.:smiley_wi

3333ftabovethesea
November 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Who cares about the weather. App get's everything off of the Great Lakes. It can be sunny and 70 1 minute and snowing and 10 the next. Awesome place for football.

MCCat
November 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Sorry, Mr C but MSU's stadium is at 5,000' above sea level.

CatFan22
November 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM
It's been to minus-19 in Boone since I've lived here and we quite frequently get temps in the minus range during the winter. People were making a big deal about Furman having to travel to 4,000-foot elevation for the Montana State game, but Kidd Brewer Stadium sits at 3,333 feet, not that much difference. Folks we live in the mountains, even if it is the south. I've seen some pretty bad weather games in November and December at KBS.

We live in the Mountains, too. About 1700 feet higher than you.

MSU2001
November 26th, 2006, 01:37 PM
MSU will not bring very many people.......... I mean its a arm and leg to fly to Winston Salem or Raliegh and then get a rental car, hotel in Boone on a playoff weekend and such. Coastal brought a fair amount of folks because they are only a state away.

Expect only ASU fans and a few MSU fans here and there.......gonna be a good one. Is this one gonna be on ESPN2?? I hope so since I'll be in South Carolina this weekend. Any word on the TV sit. would be great.

There is already a plane being chartered to bring fans from Bozeman down to Boone...I would expect a couple hundred MSU fans in attendance. Not a lot, but a good showing considering the amount of travel involved.

November 26th, 2006, 01:39 PM
We live in the Mountains, too. About 1700 feet higher than you.and my dad can beat up your dad... :rolleyes:

Appstate03
November 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM

am I missing something?

For being a Harvard guy, you sure aren't very smart. I guess that's why you didn't go to Yale. First off, it’s "their starting QB," not "they're starting QB." They're is a contraction for they are. Secondly, your whole post is your opinion on what Appalachian people think, based on our website saying Coastal was ranked 13th. Did the website talk about how because Coastal is ranked 13th that we were going to destroy them? No, it was just stating a fact that Coastal is ranked 13th in the current rankings. Other than the graphic showing App vs. Montana St as the next game, is there anything on GOASU.COM mentioning Montana St and THEIR ranking. I do not believe that there is. So if you are going to make some kind of argument on how Appalachian St feels about Montana St, back it up with references. This is something you should have learned from high school English.

Slackjaw
November 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM
We've got some heated discussion for being a week away. Are some App fan's uneasy and trying to reassure themselves? As a bobcat fan, I don't know what to expect. Our defense will do enough, but will our offense?

Sam Adams
November 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM
All App fans feel this way? a.) Are you sure? b.)Blanket statements are usually wrong and make you sound silly:thumbsup: c.) Pigeon holeing any teams fans as a whole is unwise:read: and makes future contributions of yours easier to kick to the curb.:smiley_wi

Great App - no need to get your panties bunched. Your seeming inability to appreciate that Cleets and I were A) Joking about how App state is heavily favored and B) having some fun in light of the cocky Appy State fans who think their team is invincible especially at the rock; indicates to me that you are C) taking one innocuous lil' light hearted post far too Sirusly. You need to relax son, after all your Appy State team is unbeatable right? :smiley_wi

The Gadfly
November 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM
The only thing I'm going to say about KBS's crowned field is COVER BETWEEN THE HASH MARKS! :bang:

MTGrizzFan
November 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM
should be a good game...go get em cats

Appdad
November 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Great App - no need to get your panties bunched. Your seeming inability to appreciate that Cleets and I were A) Joking about how App state is heavily favored and B) having some fun in light of the cocky Appy State fans who think their team is invincible especially at the rock; indicates to me that you are C) taking one innocuous lil' light hearted post far too Sirusly. You need to relax son, after all your Appy State team is unbeatable right? :smiley_wi

We are almost unbeatable when not playing the super humans coming down from from peaks of the Rocky Mountains to the lowly Appalachians. Given the super humans from MSU are coming I will say that we are skeeeerreedd!:eek:

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM
we had A-10 officials
The officials for the ASU-CCU game were from the Patriot League. That was announced by the folks in the press box.

BigApp
November 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
App. St just didn't wow me when I saw them in person, and don't give me that "we played you at Paulson" crap. Wofford, Central Arkansas, Central Connecticut, and North Dakota beat us in less time. Your only quality win was against a team that will be sitting the rest of the playoffs out. Not only has Montana St. beat a BCS team that would probably beat NCSU, they also play well on the road, and will not be intimitdated by your over-inflated attendance. Go Cats!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bawling: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
will you stop your whining? your team was bad this season, get over it. It happens to everyone.
You may not like the way we beat you, but we beat you. We even gave you 4 turnovers and you still couldn't win.

Sour grapes. Grow up.

The Gadfly
November 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM
The officials for the ASU-CCU game were from the Patriot League. That was announced by the folks in the press box.

That explains a WHOOOOOOOOLE lot. Horrible calls / non-calls for both sides that night.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry, Mr C but MSU's stadium is at 5,000' above sea level.
Maybe we can move the game down the road about 20-30 minutes to Grandfather Mountain and then the Bobcats can be happy playing at their normal 5,000-foot elevation.

Appstate29
November 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Maybe we can move the game down the road about 20-30 minutes to Grandfather Mountain and then the Bobcats can be happy playing at their normal 5,000-foot elevation.

I worked at ASM and on their portable weather device they have up at Grandfather mountain i've seen some winds that would rip the skin off of you at times, would love to see someone try to throw a football up there.

BigApp
November 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
According to the App fans this thing is merely a walkthrough drill for App state since a) they are invincible at the rock and b) montana state sucks...

Seems like a done deal. The Bobcats should just stay home.

Maybe you can find ONE post where an Appfan has said Montana State sucks. I looked and sure couldn't find one. BUT, you certainly CAN find one from a Bobcat fan.

...I'm banking on a Cat/Griz rematch in Chatty and have already "informed" the boss (my wife) that I'm going to Tennessee to watch the Cats get redemption and their 4th NC!

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Maybe you can find ONE post where an Appfan has said Montana State sucks. I looked and sure couldn't find one. BUT, you certainly CAN find one from a Bobcat fan.

that doesnt seem like saying app. st sucks as much as saying "i believe in the bobcat's abilities"

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM
That explains a WHOOOOOOOOLE lot. Horrible calls / non-calls for both sides that night.
On that we agree. The messed up fumble call on the kickoff was horrible, the absolute worst. I told the CCU SID and some of the other CCU folks that the officials missed the call (something I could see on the scoreboard replay) and the replays shown by ESPN totally confirmed what I had seen that John Holt had lost control of the ball before he was down. One of the ASU apoligist employees in the press box tried to tell everyone that the ESPN people in the truck were saying the officials got the call right, but then on the broadcast, both announcers said they got it wrong.

There were also a bunch of mistakes on pass interference calls by that horrendous back judge, particularly the one where he was screened on the play in the end zone and called Jerome Touchstone for PI on Jerome Simpson. There was another one where Simpson grabbed Justin Woazeah and pulled him to the ground by the back of the collar to prevent an interception (the play Woazeah got shaken up on). The officials should have called the clear offensive pass interference on that one and swallowed their whistles. There was also that really bad holding call on Matt Isenhour when Dexter Jackson scored on the reverse. Isenhour, an All-American, made a great block. I guess PL officials are not used to see athletes of that caliber. It was a badly officiated game (just like so many of the ACC/Big South and SoCon officiated games have been this year).

ncguitarplyr
November 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM
MONTANA STATE
category/national championship subdivision rank

Rushing Offense 102
Passing Offense 20
Total Offense 68
Scoring Offense 72
Rushing Defense 12
Pass Efficiency Defense 28
Total Defense 34
Scoring Defense 35
Net Punting 56
Punt Returns 44
Kickoff Returns 90
Turnover Margin 70
Pass Defense 74
Passing Efficiency 54
Sacks T-22
Tackles For Loss 25
Sacks Allowed 71

APPALACHIAN STATE

Rushing Offense 9
Passing Offense 58
Total Offense 3
Scoring Offense 4
Rushing Defense 11
Pass Efficiency Defense 15
Total Defense 11
Scoring Defense 6
Net Punting 15
Punt Returns 19
Kickoff Returns 109
Turnover Margin T-59
Pass Defense 25
Passing Efficiency 26
Sacks 27
Tackles For Loss 40
Sacks Allowed T-19

If it's in bold that mean that team has the better stats in that category

ps. montana st sucks

BigApp

I googled their names individually and they each came up as a-28 (or however many schools are affiliated with that conglomeration this week) officials. Oh well, guess $500 bucks a share doesn't mean high quality info!

Mr. C
I worked at ASM and on their portable weather device they have up at Grandfather mountain i've seen some winds that would rip the skin off of you at times, would love to see someone try to throw a football up there.
Some of the highest winds ever recorded on the east coast have occurred at Grandfather Mountain.

BigApp
November 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM
ps. montana st sucks

dammit! OK Sammy, you happy now? there's your ONE "MSU Sucks post";)

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM
MONTANA STATE

Rushing Offense 102
Passing Offense 20
Total Offense 68
Scoring Offense 72
Rushing Defense 12
Total Defense 34
Scoring Defense 35
Net Punting 56
Punt Returns 44
Kickoff Returns 90
Turnover Margin 70
Pass Defense 74
Passing Efficiency 54
Sacks T-22
Tackles For Loss 25
Sacks Allowed 71

APPALACHIAN STATE

Rushing Offense 9
Passing Offense 58
Total Offense 3
Scoring Offense 4
Rushing Defense 11
Total Defense 11
Scoring Defense 6
Net Punting 15
Punt Returns 19
Kickoff Returns 109
Turnover Margin T-59
Pass Defense 25
Passing Efficiency 26
Sacks 27
Tackles For Loss 40
Sacks Allowed T-19

ps. montana st sucks

whoops!

tralfangar
November 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Can we just agree that

a) both teams know how to play in adverse conditions and b) we have a right to be cocky because no one has beaten us in a year home or away. ?

When we lose is the appropriate time to pile it on and rub our faces in it...if you do it beforehand you just look ridiculous and jealous. So, I vote for no more talk about the weather or how we're "ALLLLL soooooo cocky".

BigApp
November 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM
let's keep this thread to football only, please and thank you!

tralfangar
November 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
THANK YOU BIGAPP!

Sam Adams
November 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Can we just agree that

a) both teams know how to play in adverse conditions and b) we have a right to be cocky because no one has beaten us in a year home or away. ?

When we lose is the appropriate time to pile it on and rub our faces in it...if you do it beforehand you just look ridiculous and jealous. So, I vote for no more talk about the weather or how we're "ALLLLL soooooo cocky".

Actually Appy got beat this season in September by a crappy NC state team that just finished up at 3-9 and in the ACC cellar.

You have a right to be cocky all you like. But that don't cancel out everybody else's right to call you out for it too. I actually like the cocky Appy attitude and I also like The Bobcats to upset Appy at the vaunted rock saturday. :D

"They say I'm cocky, but I say what? It ain't braggin' m********* if you back it up"...Kid Rock 2001

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Actually Appy got beat this season in September by a crappy NC state team that just finished up at 3-9 and in the ACC cellar.

You have a right to be cocky all you like. But that don't cancel out everybody else's right to call you out for it too. I actually like the cocky Appy attitude and I also like The Bobcats to upset Appy at the vaunted rock saturday. :D

"They say I'm cocky, but I say what? It ain't braggin' m********* if you back it up"...Kid Rock 2001

aah the classic kid rock.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I posted this in the prediction thread this morning, but this is an accessment that fits in this thread:

I've seen Montana State play three times in recent weeks (Idaho State, Weber State and Montana) and while I like the hard-nosed Bobcat defense, I don't know if they can contain all of the Mountaineers' weapons, particularly the speed. Does anyone run the no huddle spread out west? Outside of Jefferson at wide receiver, I haven't been overly impressed by MSU offensively (except for the Idaho State game and we all know how bad the Bengal defense — one great LB and little else — is). This will be a difficult matchup for MSU, not even considering the cross-country travel and playing at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU will be back at full strength in its secondary with All-American safety Corey Lynch in the lineup (they were down to their third string free safety, Titus Howard for most the game against CCU and it showed) and no one has been effective running the ball on the Mountaineers since the North Carolina State opener. I don't think this one will be that close.

tralfangar
November 26th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I failed to mention that I was referring to I-AA....or PCS.

Continue calling us out (if that's what you're doing?), just do it in this thread and not in the new one.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I posted this in the prediction thread this morning, but this is an accessment that fits in this thread:

I've seen Montana State play three times in recent weeks (Idaho State, Weber State and Montana) and while I like the hard-nosed Bobcat defense, I don't know if they can contain all of the Mountaineers' weapons. Does anyone run the no huddle spread out west? Outside of Jefferson at wide receiver, I haven't been overly impressed by MSU offensively (except for the Idaho State game and we all know how bad the Bengal defense — one great LB and little else — is). This will be a difficult matchup for MSU, not even considering the cross-country travel and playing at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU will be back at full strength in its secondary with All-American safety Corey Lynch in the lineup (they were down to their third string free safety, Titus Howard for most the game against CCU and it showed) and no one has been effective running the ball on the Mountaineers since the North Carolina State opener. I don't think this one will be that close.

kramer will have the cats ready, doesnt mean they will win but they will be ready to put up a fight. and as mentioned earlier kidd brewer is the third toughest place the bobcats will have played this year, so they will be ready for the intensity and noise that the ASU fans bring.

GtFllsGriz
November 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I watched the Appy States game and they definitely looked like world beaters in that game. They are quick, quick and quick. And there receivers seemed to be open all the time. I don't think anyone in the country can beat them.

Oh, wait, there is that other team from Montana coming to Boone. Certainly they won't stand a chance because everyone knows that they don't play defense in the Big Sky Conference and the BSC had a real down year this year. Then they lost to a D2 team, man...this team shouldn't even be on the field with Appy......

Oh, yeah, this is going to be good........

Go Cats!!!!!!

APPST '93
November 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Everybody keeps saying how the So Con was down this year. I could care less. ASU is the team to beat and everyone knows it.

Keep it up Griz fans...I hope to see you in Chatty!

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I watched the Appy States game and they definitely looked like world beaters in that game. They are quick, quick and quick. And there receivers seemed to be open all the time. I don't think anyone in the country can beat them.

Oh, wait, there is that other team from Montana coming to Boone. Certainly they won't stand a chance because everyone knows that they don't play defense in the Big Sky Conference and the BSC had a real down year this year. Then they lost to a D2 team, man...this team shouldn't even be on the field with Appy......

Oh, yeah, this is going to be good........

Go Cats!!!!!!
You didn't hear me saying the Big Sky doesn't play defense. Montana, Montana State and Portland State are all very good defensively. Actually, it was a down year for offenses in the Big Sky this year (outside of Northern Arizona, with Jason Murrietta). No one is saying Montana State shouldn't be on the field with ASU, either. But at the same time, MSU hasn't played a team with the speed and depth of the Mountaineers (the Griz are the closest thing). Colorado was terrible this year (taking nothing away from MSU's season-opening win). ASU has a better offense than Montana and a comparable, if not better defense. You also have to factor in that 2,000-plus-mile trip and a two-hour bus ride to Boone (MSU won't be flying into Boone International Airport, but probably Winston-Salem, Greensboro or Charlotte). I don't think its unreasonable to think that ASU wins by a couple of scores.

Appguy
November 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM
. The messed up fumble call on the kickoff was horrible, the absolute worst.

I actually looked into it and apparently the call wasn't that he was down it was that foward motion was stopped which explains the call to me.

Appguy
November 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
how many games has MSUs "backup"/current QB starter started? and stats?

GtFllsGriz
November 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM
You didn't hear me saying the Big Sky doesn't play defense. Montana, Montana State and Portland State are all very good defensively. Actually, it was a down year for offenses in the Big Sky this year (outside of Northern Arizona, with Jason Murrietta). No one is saying Montana State shouldn't be on the field with ASU, either. But at the same time, MSU hasn't played a team with the speed and depth of the Mountaineers (the Griz are the closest thing). Colorado was terrible this year (taking nothing away from MSU's season-opening win). ASU has a better offense than Montana and a comparable, if not better defense. You also have to factor in that 2,000-plus-mile trip and a two-hour bus ride to Boone (MSU won't be flying into Boone International Airport, but probably Winston-Salem, Greensboro or Charlotte). I don't think its unreasonable to think that ASU wins by a couple of scores.

You may very well be right Mr. C. That is what I love about the CS playoffs. I was not being sarcastic when I said Appy looked unbeatable. But I would never count the Cats out of this game. I love this matchup. The Cat's a so unpredictable. Just when you think that they cannot play any worse they beat somebody bad, a team they shouldn't have beaten. I would not count them out of any game.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM

i agree with you in some areas. first i do believe that this will be the best offense that MSU will face, but one thing that MSU does have that matches up with ASU is they are fast themselves. MSU has tons of JC and drop downs because all the good montana players go to the griz:smiley_wi
Defensively, id argue about who is better between ASU and UM but either way the bobcats will have their work cut out for them. they have injuries to some key guys and who knows if their passing game will carry them the entire way. finally the one part i definitely disagree with you on is the score, while im not predicting a bobcat win(even though it would be great) i dont think app st. wins by a couple scores i say at most 13 points.

Ronbo
November 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Geeze you think ASU is unbeatable. Why don't we just all stay home and Air Mail them the trophy right now. What say gentlemen? ASU's poo doesn't stink does it Mr. C? Give your nose some fresh air some time.

AshevilleApp
November 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
App - 8th in the Nation in total defense, 5th in scoring defense
MSU - 36th, 42nd in scoring defense

Hard to see which defense is better?

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Geeze you think ASU is unbeatable. Why don't we just all stay home and Air Mail them the trophy right now. What say gentlemen? ASU's poo doesn't stink does it Mr. C? Give your nose some fresh air some time.

Kind of like you and Montana eh? :thumbsup:

Meh. Fanbois abound on all sides. I think the game will be a good one and I fully expect both teams come ready to play.

I guess it'd just be nice to see some props for our win streak at home and that we have a pretty decent home atmosphere.

If MSU was going to play the Griz again you can bet you'd be singing a different tune (along with posting 342 pictures of Wash-Griz stadium). So meh.

Ronbo
November 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I do love Montana but there has never been a playoff game since 1995 that I didn't think we could lose. MR.C talks like ASU is unbeatable. Words he might have to eat soon or maybe not. But any team can lose any day remember that.:nono:

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I do love Montana but there has never been a playoff game since 1995 that I didn't think we could lose. MR.C talks like ASU is unbeatable. Words he might have to eat soon or maybe not. But any team can lose any day remember that.:nono:

I agree with you 100%. And if you venture over to the MMB there's currently no smack being directed at MSU.

We're excited, we have a pretty good team, we have a pretty cool atmosphere at home. The Griz have the same and ya'll make sure everyone hears about it week in and week out. :p

elkmcc
November 26th, 2006, 04:53 PM

I've seen Montana State play three times in recent weeks (Idaho State, Weber State and Montana) and while I like the hard-nosed Bobcat defense, I don't know if they can contain all of the Mountaineers' weapons, particularly the speed. Does anyone run the no huddle spread out west? Outside of Jefferson at wide receiver, I haven't been overly impressed by MSU offensively (except for the Idaho State game and we all know how bad the Bengal defense — one great LB and little else — is). This will be a difficult matchup for MSU, not even considering the cross-country travel and playing at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU will be back at full strength in its secondary with All-American safety Corey Lynch in the lineup (they were down to their third string free safety, Titus Howard for most the game against CCU and it showed) and no one has been effective running the ball on the Mountaineers since the North Carolina State opener. I don't think this one will be that close.

I am thinking you better hope that the Appy coaches aren't so cocky because if they overlook MSU there will be no semifinal for your team.
At the risk of coming off as a homer myself if the Bobcats were able to put points up against the Griz D then they certainly will against Appy. The Bobcat D is as salty as they come. JMO

Black and Gold Express
November 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM

It seems to me all these Griz fans are pulling for Montana State for two reasons, conference loyalty and they don't want to face ASU in Chattanooga. :thumbsup:

Seriously, ths isn't going to be a game where fans are going to convince the other side to change their minds. The best argument I saw was the post earlier that laid out all the different stats and showed ASU being the better team in 90% of them. These two teams have one common opponent, a Furman team that both teams spanked. I watached MSU play against Montana and came away not terribly impressed. They played well, showed they were a good team, but did nothing outstanding.

The conditions and altitude won't be a factor in this game. The travel might (especially going west to east which is always tougher), but I think the biggest factor in favor of ASU is that the most gifted player on the field for either team wears number 14 and takes every offensive snap for ASU. I really think MSU wil have no answer for Armanti this weekend, just as every team in I-AA this year has had no answer for him. He and Kevin make for a 1-2 running attack that's really tough to stop, and the passing game is good too especially if they jam the box to stop the read option game.

ASU has team speed unlike almost any I-AA team this year, and so many times speed is the ultimate difference maker. People don't believe it until we play them, and almost always that's the first comment the opposing team states, they were surprised just how fast we were.

I expect MSU to play a tough game. I expect MSU won't be fazed. I expect MSU to acquit themselves and the Big Sky well. I also expect MSU to lose this game because the better team on the field is ASU and ASU rarely plays even an average game at home.

There is a reason we're a top seed, and I expect us to play like one this weekend and move on.

AppState
November 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
(fluff)

Please post your positions on all important matters so that we can do our best to match them. Thanks.

Hells Bells
November 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM

wow i remembered my ags password and handle :hurray:
however, it seems that there is a bunch of fans, namly app state fans, that claim that they know a lot about bobcat football, which they dont :bang:

1) i will venture to guess that a opening season win over any Hawkins coached team is pretty hugs, not to mention holding them to 13 points if i am not correct. colorado normally eats D1AAs for breakfast app state fans...:thumbsup:

2) im sorry but anybody who claims that their stadium is a hard place to play, outside of colorado fans (folsom field) and griz fans (wgs) are pretty much barking up the wrong tree as far as im concerned.

3) as we have experienced this saturday, many of the so-conn run the option, which the cats d shut out (13 points against our freshmen :eek: :bow: as a matter of fact their last td shouldnt have had happen except for a last minute time out (sportsmenship??). I am not taking away anything from your d but as long as you have team speed on d, you will stop the option...wont ya North Carolina...:D

Hells Bells
November 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
6 games started, 8 games played in
slightly more tds then pics

Hells Bells
November 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
i dont think you will have to worry about our passing game

out: lewis, tolliver

starters: Jefferson, Wheaton, Lulay, Brown

HB: ?
we might be getting back a few people on the d side and 1 or 2 on the O

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 05:28 PM
i would say that even though carpenter is considered the backup he is capable and i would also say that they dont really have a "backup" more of a two qb system though they never routinely alternate.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
i dont think you will have to worry about our passing game

out: lewis, tolliver

starters: Jefferson, Wheaton, Lulay, Brown

HB: ?
we might be getting back a few people on the d side and 1 or 2 on the O

is mason going to play?

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
however, it seems that there is a bunch of fans, namly app state fans, that claim that they know a lot about bobcat football, which they dont :bang:

1) i will venture to guess that a opening season win over any Hawkins coached team is pretty hugs, not to mention holding them to 13 points if i am not correct. colorado normally eats D1AAs for breakfast app state fans...:thumbsup:

2) im sorry but anybody who claims that their stadium is a hard place to play, outside of colorado fans (folsom field) and griz fans (wgs) are pretty much barking up the wrong tree as far as im concerned.

3) as we have experienced this saturday, many of the so-conn run the option, which the cats d shut out (13 points against our freshmen :eek: :bow: as a matter of fact their last td shouldnt have had happen except for a last minute time out (sportsmenship??). I am not taking away anything from your d but as long as you have team speed on d, you will stop the option...wont ya North Carolina...:D

Remembered your handle and Password!:hurray: Welcome back, but I do think you forgot where to post smack talk.:thumbsup:

Hells Bells
November 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM
i dont know, all i know is that groves is definately out, gazerro is back in but i dont know where he will be at other then special teams (he spent time at lb, safety and hb backups within a years time. was our second best rusher during spring ball and can probibly spell tito if he has to. other person that has: Jefferson (!))

Hells Bells
November 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM
i would say that even though carpenter is considered the backup he is capable and i would also say that they dont really have a "backup" more of a two qb system though they never routinely alternate.
this is one cat fan that hopes carpenter starts...less turnoversxcoffeex

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Remembered your handle and Password!:hurray: Welcome back, but I do think you forgot where to post smack talk.:thumbsup:

i dont think that was smack talk. he was just saying the bobcats do have some skills.

catbob
November 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Mason was in street clothes yesterday, so I would guess it unlikely he will start. Taito should be the man again. Taito is a solid runner, but doesn't have game-breaking capabilities. We could sure use Mason.

Having Lewis out is a blow as well, although Lulay played well in his stead.

Sam Adams
November 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Appy is cocky & primed to be upset and the MSU Bobcats are primed to deliver the same. You read it hear first campers.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM
i think kramer will keep rolo in just because he has been the guy who has gotten the cats this far. but hey kramer is a good coach and might mix some things up especially since carpenter is more mobile.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM
i know it is still early, but does anyone have some score predictions i mean a lot of people are already saying app. st blowout or bobcat upset.

GSUhooligan
November 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
24-17 Montana St.

fencer24
November 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
In this particular game, #1 vs the last team into the field may not mean very much. I have only watched Appy St. during their game against CCU, and I wasn't really impressed, but then again, they may have been holding back some for later.
Matching national stats against each other would only apply if you had any common opponents. Just look at USD, I am sure that their numbers have been sky high until UCD came along.
I am not sure that the Cats will win this one, (but I hope that they do), I just think that there is a greater probability of either team winning, than one being necessarily better than the other.

HiHiYikas
November 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Appy is cocky & primed to be upset and the MSU Bobcats are primed to deliver the same. You read it hear first campers.
Cocky-ness is every fan's right. In most cases it's unbecoming. In a lot of other cases it's mislabeled. To say 'So-and-so State beat What's-it A&M by 35 last time, and there's no credible evidence to suggest that this weekend's outcome will be dramatically different,' is in no way shape or form cocky. To say 'that the last 25 teams to play ASU at home lost suggests that it's hard to beat ASU at home' is as far from cocky as one can get. It's not suggesting that the game shouldn't take place or that the outcome is a foregone conclusion. It takes a petty and hyper-sensitive person to jump to such a conclusion based on a fair and "un-cocky" assessment.

The truth remains, though, that cocky-ness is every fan's right. That's the beauty of being a fan - it's joy without responsibility. I can look forward to the next ASU win without knowing that I have to practice or watch film or otherwise prepare to earn it. It's really really great like that.

If a Team X fan out there says "Team X will easily beat Team Y (a good team) by 50," I know that, even if it does appear a bit cocky, such a prediction has zero effect whatsoever on how the actual teams prepare for & play the game. If I read such a statement and reply 'Well, Team X is overlooking Team Y,' or 'Team X is cocky and primed for an upset,' I am demonstrating some serious ignorance about the difference between a bunch of guys on the internet and a bunch of athletes who actually make a difference in the outcome of the games.

So here's my prediction: ASU 123, MSU 0. There, I've done it. The football gods will be so enraged that a guy in an online message-board made such a brash prediction for his favorite team that they will skew the karmic tenor of the football universe in favor of Montana State. Plus, Jerry Moore, who we all know visits AGS for advice every other hour or so, will read my 123-0 prediction and call off practice for the rest of the week. Mike Kramer, another AGS regular, will see the prediction and work his Bobcats harder than ever to avoid a 123-point loss.

In the end, it will be my own 123-0 prediction that motivates Coach Moore to start several high school sophomores this Saturday to get his regular starters some rest. Kramer's guys will bring their A+++++ game and beat ASU by at least 60. And this will all happen because of me, a guy sitting at his computer who hasn't played organized football in about 15 years.

fencer24
November 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Hoo boy, if this happens, we will all learn to avoid pissing off the football gods.

catbob
November 26th, 2006, 06:08 PM
If the Cats win, it will be close. If App wins, it will not be. I don't know if MSU has the answers for App's weapons, both offensively and defensively. That being said, I wouldn't count us out.

elkmcc
November 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
It seems to me all these Griz fans are pulling for Montana State for two reasons, conference loyalty and they don't want to face ASU in Chattanooga. :thumbsup:

You are right on the money with your first reason. The latter reasoning reeks of homerism. I am thinking the Griz would fear a rematch with the Cats much moreso than a rematch with Appy. Sorry if I burst your bubble.xlolx

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Well okay Sam, we'll worry about (supposed by you) being cocky.:thumbsup: Me thinks you best be worried about UNH this week and not App. You're trolling again.: smh :

AppStWill
November 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM
My prediction is this thread will reach 100 pages before Saturday.... :bang:.....I hope that's not beeing too cocky or overconfident....

tralfangar
November 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Probably because people who have no dog in this fight keep posting. We know everyone is pulling against us...no need to repeat it 20 times!

AppStWill
November 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Here's how I see it....as if anyone cares.....we should win....if we do we survive and advance....if we don't, I'll be pissed, but it won't be the end of the world. My 2nd child is due 1st week of December, so I'll have something to take my mind off of it. :hurray:

As one poster put it, our fans can be as cocky as they want. It keeps message boards like this in business. I promise that our players and coaches are not. The Apps learned the hard way back in 1995 after ending the regular season undefeated, then losing early in the playoffs. Coach Moore and staff won't let the cockiness enter the locker room.

Cleets
November 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Probably because people who have no dog in this fight keep posting. We know everyone is pulling against us...no need to repeat it 20 times!

My goodness, poor App. State, ewverybody's pickin' on them... (Yawn)

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Here's how I see it....as if anyone cares.....we should win....if we do we survive and advance....if we don't, I'll be pissed, but it won't be the end of the world. My 2nd child is due 1st week of December, so I'll have something to take my mind off of it. :hurray:

As one poster put it, our fans can be as cocky as they want. It keeps message boards like this in business. I promise that our players and coaches are not. The Apps learned the hard way back in 1995 after ending the regular season undefeated, then losing early in the playoffs. Coach Moore and staff won't let the cockiness enter the locker room.

ah 95':)

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM
My goodness, poor App. State, ewverybody's pickin' on them... (Yawn)

Harvard Football = Has been Losers

Poor Harvard everybody'y beating them.:D

GboroAppFan
November 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Actually given the elevation in Boone, it would get down below O degrees F many days during winter when I was at ASU. Still not Iowa cold, but the higher elevations of North Carolina, and that includes Boone can get cold enought to complain about - by Southern, Northern, or Mid-western standards.

Also Boone is one big wind tunnel with mountains all around. I remember more than a few times the wind chill was -40 (and that can be C of F take your pick.)

Boone can get very cold and feel even colder. Now the number of days that happens in Boone each year is less than UNI might get - but we know cold also.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM
how many receptions does the leading receiver for app st. have?

HiHiYikas
November 26th, 2006, 06:49 PM
how many receptions does the leading receiver for app st. have?
William Mayfield has 52 for 962 yds and 5 TD's
Dexter Jackson is at 28/385/3
Kevin Richardson, 26/246/1

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Are you kidding me with that double speak. I'm supposed to take that insult as a joke as well.:nono: go troll greener pasturesplease or take it to smack.:eyebrow:

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
William Mayfield has 52 for 962 yds and 5 TD's
Dexter Jackson is at 28/385/3
Kevin Richardson, 26/246/1

i know i keepa asking questions, but how big are mayfield and jackson, also are they really fast?

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 07:29 PM
i know i keepa asking questions, but how big are mayfield and jackson, also are they really fast?

Quit trying to scout for the Griz! ;) :p

HiHiYikas
November 26th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Mayfield is a big guy, something like 6'2", 220

http://www.goasu.com/football/roster/

it's all there

Mountaineer
November 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Mayfield is a big guy, something like 6'2", 220

http://www.goasu.com/football/roster/

it's all there

He was converted from linebacker to receiver prior to last season. :nod:

GGASU
November 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM

We would have lost 2 or 3 games this year without Edwards at quarterback.

If we had played the NC State game after we made the switch we win by double digits.

Cleets
November 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Harvard Football = Has been Losers
Poor Harvard everybody’s beating them.:D

Actually,
Harvard is a great football team, nowhere near the level of App. State or Montana or Umass - But - if you check the record, you'll see they win a lot of games... in 2004 they were undefeated (if memory serves me correct) with an Honorary ranking of #1 in 1-AA

But that's another story...

The fact that you have no sense of humor nor do you seem bright enough to pick up on not-so-subtle gestures concerns me...so lest stick to the "black & White" of it:

The playoffs go through App. State (as they should)
They, as a team have done nothing to disprove they are No.1
The fan base is swelling with pride
Being number one is fun!
For the time being "You're the man"

Like the Yankee's (or whatever) people are going to take shots at the champs...

Try to have fun with it :nod:

MountaineerDrive
November 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Most every App fan, especially those with over 5 posts, are taking Montana St. very seriously (and vice versa). No one likes to eat crow, except a few of the trolls that have nothing to do with this game who don't seem to take App seriously. I don't know how much more "for real" you can get than to be the #1 ranked defending national champions with no glaring weaknesses. And, of course ASU isn't invincible and we can lose. MSU will probably be the best team we've played this year to date, and that includes NCSU and JMU. So, we'll see what happens, but I don't know what else App could have done thus far to impress the haters. Because even if we repeat, these jealous babies are still going to be around. :twocents: :bang: :eyebrow:

BrevardMountaineer03
November 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Okay, I didn't read everything everybody has been saying....
Anyone who beats Furman deserves my respect...but with that said, I still say ASU wins, not sure if it's close or not, but ASU prevails.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Most every App fan, especially those with over 5 posts, are taking Montana St. very seriously (and vice versa). No one likes to eat crow, except a few of the trolls that have nothing to do with this game who don't seem to take App seriously. I don't know how much more "for real" you can get than to be the #1 ranked defending national champions with no glaring weaknesses. And, of course ASU isn't invincible and we can lose. MSU will probably be the best team we've played this year to date, and that includes NCSU and JMU. So, we'll see what happens, but I don't know what else App could have done thus far to impress the haters. Because even if we repeat, these jealous babies are still going to be around. :twocents: :bang: :eyebrow:
While I think Montana State is one of the better teams ASU will have faced, there is no way I would say they are of the same talent level as North Carolina State, or James Madison. NC State has several NFL-caliber players and JMU has three All-American defensive players (DE Kevin Winston and two who have been on the Buchanan watch list, FS Tony LeZotte and LB Akeem Jordan), a Payton Award finalist in QB Justin Rascati, a three-time All-American tackle in Corey Davis and one of the deepest stables of running backs at any FCS school. Montana State has two preseason All-Americans on the I-AA.org squad, safety Ryan Force and tackle Jon Hirst. Michael Jefferson is one of the best receivers I've seen this season (close to the class of Coastal Carolina's Jerome Simpson) and he also is dangerous on returns. Evin Groves is a pretty solid running back. There are some other good players scattered around too, like LB Epikoo King and DL Aaron Papich. But this team isn't nearly as good as JMU. The Bobcats have been unsettled at times at quarterback, too, with Jack Rolovich and Cory Carpenter having their share of ups and downs. This is a good team, but it is also a team that managed to lose four of its 12 games this season.

elkmcc
November 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I am not an expert on bobs cat but the one thing I do know about Kramer's teams is that they seem to be able to play up (or down) to their opponents level better than most teams. No one has mentioned the cats Bobby Daly. He IMO is probably the one of the MVP's of this team and for some reason seems to be relatively unnoticed by the press.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM
While I think Montana State is one of the better teams ASU will have faced, there is no way I would say they are of the same talent level as North Carolina State, or James Madison. NC State has several NFL-caliber players and JMU has three All-American defensive players (DE Kevin Winston and two who have been on the Buchanan watch list, FS Tony LeZotte and LB Akeem Jordan), a Payton Award finalist in QB Justin Rascati, a three-time All-American tackle in Corey Davis and one of the deepest stables of running backs at any FCS school. Montana State has two preseason All-Americans on the I-AA.org squad, safety Ryan Force and tackle Jon Hirst. Michael Jefferson is one of the best receivers I've seen this season (close to the class of Coastal Carolina's Jerome Simpson) and he also is dangerous on returns. Evin Groves is a pretty solid running back. There are some other good players scattered around too, like LB Epikoo King and DL Aaron Papich. But this team isn't nearly as good as JMU. The Bobcats have been unsettled at times at quarterback, too, with Jack Rolovich and Cory Carpenter having their share of ups and downs. This is a good team, but it is also a team that managed to lose four of its 12 games this season.

Groves was out most of the year, came back in the griz game, got hurt in the first carry and is out for the rest of the year.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2006, 09:03 PM
May I inteject? don't get me wrong, I like the support from Griz Nation on this thread, but where are the Bobcat fans. Call it quiet confidence, or too much partying this weekend. My prediction.

- The Bobcat D will no get blown out
- We catch the balls, we can score.

This will be a touchdown or less, either way.

Can't wait for Saturday!!

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Six posts and you come up with this?

I guess the fact I have watched a bunch of your games (you singled me out in your post with that quote) this season and the fact that I watch tape weekly on FCS teams (I've seen probably 70 of them this season) makes me one of those people that knows nothing about the Bobcats.

Son, I was probably watching Bobcat football when you were not even a twinkle in your father's eye. I remember Jan Stenerud coming to my hometown and breaking my team's heart (Fresno State) with a 55-yard field goal at historic Ratcliffe Stadium. Montana State was on our schedule nearly every year. We later turned into a football power by hiring one of your old coaches, Jim Sweeney. Montana State opened our sparkling new Bulldog Stadium in 1981 (with future Sacramento State coach Steve Mooshagian burning the Bobcat defense for the first touchdown on a nice pass reception). I had Montana State running back Tony Boddie land at my feet on the sideline that day. I heard a loud crack and Boddie had broken his collar bone right there in front of me. I've seen my share and written about my share of Montana State football over the years.

No one has done anything but praise Montana State for its win over Colorado. When it comes to beating I-A/BCS teams, almost all of FCS lines up and roots for you. Were we perplexed by those losses to Chadron State, UC Davis and Eastern Washington (probably the worst team you lost to)? Yes, we were. But we know teams go through growing pains. Still, four losses are four losses. Just ask Portland State why it isn't in the playoffs?

If you have never been to Kidd Brewer Stadium, you have no clue about its atmosphere. It is simply one of the best in FCS, along with Washington-Grizzly Stadium (the best), Paulson Stadium at Georgia Southern, Tubby Raymond Stadium at Delaware, Cowboy Stadium at McNeese State, the UNI Dome, Stambaugh Stadium at Youngstown State, Mumford Stadium at Southern U., and Mississippi Veteran's Memorial Stadium at Jackson State. Obviously, Washington-Grizzly and Folsom Field (a place where one of the ASU beat writers grew up with season tickets) are great homefields and it helps any team to have experienced such things. But it is simply tough playing in Boone, too.

Obviously you no little about the defending national champs with your comment on shutting down teams that run the option. ASU was an I-formation option based team (coach Jerry Moore used to be Nebraska's offensive coordinator), but that was back in the 1990s. For the past three years, ASU has run the no huddle spread. There is a little option involved, with the basic zone read play containing elements of the old Houston veer option that Bill Yeoman invented. But this offense is far more than that.

The Mountaineers attack you with a Payton Award finalist and the SoCon offensive player of the year at running back (Kevin Richardson), the freshman of the year (Armanti Edwards) at quarterback (you haven't seen a quicker QB all year, guaranteed), an All-American tight end (Daniel Bettis), two All-American linemen that have been the past two winners of the prestigious Jacob's Blocking Trophy (guard Kerry Brown and tackle Matt Isenhour) and one of the deepest groups of receivers anywhere in the country, led by All-Conference players William Mayfield and Dexter Jackson. And that's just the offense.

There are three more All-Americans and two Buchanan Award finalists on defense (DE Marques Murrell, SS Jeremy Wiggins and FS Corey Lynch, who will be back from his broken arm on Saturday). Even kicker Julian Rauch has been a back-to-back selection on the Jewish All-American team.

Can this team be beaten? Yes, any team can. If a team is able to force turnovers and convert them into points, you have a chance. But ASU has maybe the best defense in I-AA and often erases the turnovers the offense makes. ASU hasn't lost at Kidd Brewer for 25 games, spanning over four years and it hasn't been beaten by a I-AA/FCS team in the past 19 games. You beat a depleted Furman team 31-13, App State hammered the same squad when it was a bit healthier 40-7. The announcers who did the ESPN broadcast Saturday and had done them last year in one of the playoff games said they thought this ASU team was even better than the one that won the national championship last year. No one is saying the Bobcats have no chance, just that in playing the defending national champion that the task ahead is great.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
You will see a team that statistically shouldn't even be in the game. But there's alot of fight in this "D". I hope Appy's QB is fast cause he's going to need it.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Groves was out most of the year, came back in the griz game, got hurt in the first carry and is out for the rest of the year.
Haven't seen Saturday's game yet and didn't know the injury at Montana had finished his season. Still he was a very good back. Like a lot of teams, it seems MSU is battling injuries this time of year.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
You will see a team that statistically shouldn't even be in the game. But there's alot of fight in this "D". I hope Appy's QB is fast cause he's going to need it.
Have you not seen any of App State's games? Probably the only quarterback faster than Armanti Edwards in the FCS is Jayson Foster of Georgia Southern and the Eagles very stupidly turned Foster into a WR for most of this season.

barechestcat
November 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry Walkon, took a while to wade through this post. :read:

Really the only thing I have to add to all of this is that my Bobcats play very well on the road. They play very well in hostile environments. Much has been said of the speed that ASU has. I think you'll be surprised by our team's speed also.

Basically our team relishes the under dog role. They are playing with a chip on their shoulder and it will show again this Saturday.

The team is excited to come and play in ASU's great venue.

Here's to a great game and a victory for the Bobcats.:hurray:

appisgreatest
November 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I think I should remind you that Coach Moore will have the team focused and ready for MSU. ASU is motivated enough to play MSU and will not be distracted by the fact that they're supposed to win this game.:thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
App - 8th in the Nation in total defense, 5th in scoring defense
MSU - 36th, 42nd in scoring defense

Hard to see which defense is better?

I love all these comparisons. They have played exactly ONE common opponent. Whom they EACH handled easily. The stats you quote mean nothing. It's apples and oranges.

mtgrizfan4life
November 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Griz/Cat fans is quite a difference than many states. For that reason let's unite for what is left of Subdivision playoffs and do OUR state proud.

Football is king in Montana. As is in TX, FL, OH and PA. Difference is that these states are hotbeds for talent and have many more players than MT. They have huge populations. They have many major college and pro teams to devote their efforts too. In Montana it is the GRIZ and CATS, that is it!!!!!

If the Griz/CATS rematch in Chatty, it is the biggest news the state could ever have. The state gets national recogniton and the programs go down in history as the 1st div 1a (subdivision) championship played against schools from the same state in a tournament format!!!!!

Even if 1A (bcs) goes to a playoff format GRIZ/CATS will have their play in history, just as the GRIZ will in consecutive playoff appearances. Those are things I am and would be proud of regarding the GRIZ and the state!!!!!

As much as I hate the CATS when we play them, I respect them and root for them for the conference, the state, and making history. Imagine the stories Montanan's can tell pass along to generations about the NC game in 2006..........That appeals to me, regardless of which team you root for.

Also the recognition helps both programs and the conference in terms of recruiting better players nationally. The only drawback with an all MT final would be the misery for the loser.

GO GRIZ and CATS, make MT prouder!!!!!

mtgrizfan4life
November 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Griz/Cat fans is quite a difference than many states. For that reason let's unite for what is left of Subdivision playoffs and do OUR state proud.

Football is king in Montana. As is in TX, FL, OH and PA. Difference is that these states are hotbeds for talent and have many more players than MT. They have huge populations. They have many major college and pro teams to devote their efforts too. In Montana it is the GRIZ and CATS, that is it!!!!!

If the Griz/CATS rematch in Chatty, it is the biggest news the state could ever have. The state gets national recogniton and the programs go down in history as the 1st div 1a (subdivision) championship played against schools from the same state in a tournament format!!!!!

Even if 1A (bcs) goes to a playoff format GRIZ/CATS will have their play in history, just as the GRIZ will in consecutive playoff appearances. Those are things I am and would be proud of regarding the GRIZ and the state!!!!!

As much as I hate the CATS when we play them, I respect them and root for them for the conference, the state, and making history. Imagine the stories Montanan's can tell pass along to generations about the NC game in 2006..........That appeals to me, regardless of which team you root for.

Also the recognition helps both programs and the conference in terms of recruiting better players nationally. The only drawback with an all MT final would be the misery for the loser.

GO GRIZ and CATS, make MT prouder!!!!!

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Actually,
The fact that you have no sense of humor nor do you seem bright enough to pick up on not-so-subtle gestures concerns me:nod:

Another insult,:nonono2: and I'm supposed to read that as your being humorous?:confused:For a Newbie you sure have a lot of hubris, must feel you have big Cleets eh?:D

Where to begin with you Glasshoppa Hmmm! :eyebrow: If you think posters spend a lot of time while reading a football message board trying to sense a vailed meaning(that's why smileys :) and winks were invented) you're kidding yourself and being just plain foolish.
Subtlle gestures are best left for legal briefs, politicians, face to face conversations,and women. In plain english Cleets don't act like a woman on a football board unless you are one. Hence my my non suble "Harvard Football = Has been Losers
Poor Harvard everybody’s beating them." response. You mean you didn't think that was hilarious?xlolx xlolx xlolx I sure as hell did:D :D BTW 04 was two fricken years ago:rolleyes: :D :D :D
Stating as fact, that I have no sense of humor on this board proves yor lack of :read:ing that much of it. In the world of internet posting, subtlety is lost (unless you have a long track record of being a jokster, which you don't have) folks will take what you write to heart (hint) try smileys xlolx xlolx when you're trying to be funny. They where non existant in your first post on this thread.
Face it you were trolling and got called on it! Now your trying the Potomac two step and wiggle out by playing the old, I was just kidding but you were not smart enough to get it ploy, that may work on your blueblood pals in Cambridge but won't cut it round here.:nono: :nono: :nono: Man up my friend don't wuss around.:D :D
I'm glad I concern you so :rotateh: :rolleyes:xlolx xlolx xlolx This is the one and only G.A.S. your talking to:nod: xlolx ;) I'll eviserate the Crimson outta ya till you Yale for mercy.xlolx xlolx xlolx Have a Good Day.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BTW. What's the lifetime difference between a Harverd and Yale Degree?
About a hundred grand and an extra trophy wife:D :D

Hi I'm GreatAppSt and I approved this message.
and probably responsible for it going to the smack board, sorry guys.:o

See ya around pimple.:D

putter
November 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM
This will be a great game. MSU played well at Montana-->a rivalry game with over 24,000 in that stadium will prepare them well for ASU. Cats defensive speed has the chance to stay with App and their offensive talent can spread App thin in the secondary much like Coastal did in the 2nd half of thier game. This should be close. 7-10 points either way.

catbob
November 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I refuse to read that last post on the grounds that that is simply toom any emoticons.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 10:51 PM
This will be a great game. MSU played well at Montana-->a rivalry game with over 24,000 in that stadium will prepare them well for ASU. Cats defensive speed has the chance to stay with App and their offensive talent can spread App thin in the secondary much like Coastal did in the 2nd half of thier game. This should be close. 7-10 points either way.
You have got to remember that Coastal Carolina spread the ASU secondary out with a third-string free safety, Titus Howard. All-American Corey Lynch will be back there on Saturday. It will be a lot harder and more dangerous to throw deep with the Ball Hog back there. Montana State is fast, but it isn't as fast as ASU. No team in I-AA is. I'm expecting a close game to the tune of App State winning by 10-14 points.

BULLDOG8180
November 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Fast ain't the word for it, LIGHTNING FAST, is much more suitable.

ncguitarplyr
November 26th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I love all these comparisons. They have played exactly ONE common opponent. Whom they EACH handled easily. The stats you quote mean nothing. It's apples and oranges.
if anything app has a harder schedule and a better record...and its not like montana st is even close in the stats....anyway you look at it appalachian state is the favorite in this game...sure there are upsets in football but if you think montana state is SUPPOSED to win you're in a dream world...you better hope app has a bad day, montana st has a good day, and a couple bounces go your way

AppStateSVX
November 26th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I hope Appy's QB is fast cause he's going to need it.

......surely you did not just ask that question.....xidiotx

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM
MONTANA STATE

Rushing Offense 102
Passing Offense 20
Total Offense 68
Scoring Offense 72
Rushing Defense 12
Total Defense 34
Scoring Defense 35
Net Punting 56
Punt Returns 44
Kickoff Returns 90
Turnover Margin 70
Pass Defense 74
Passing Efficiency 54
Sacks T-22
Tackles For Loss 25
Sacks Allowed 71

APPALACHIAN STATE

Rushing Offense 9
Passing Offense 58
Total Offense 3
Scoring Offense 4
Rushing Defense 11
Total Defense 11
Scoring Defense 6
Net Punting 15
Punt Returns 19
Kickoff Returns 109
Turnover Margin T-59
Pass Defense 25
Passing Efficiency 26
Sacks 27
Tackles For Loss 40
Sacks Allowed T-19

ps. montana st sucks

Here's an example of why your comparisons hold no water:

UM vs McNeese State: 31-6, UM. And yet, in the Southland Conference, MSU had the following stats:

SCORING OFFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. McNeese State....... 11 36 33 0 0 16 0 297 27.0 ----they only could muster 6.
2. Sam Houston State... 11 37 25 2 0 4 0 263 23.9
3. Texas State......... 11 30 28 0 0 12 0 244 22.2
4. Stephen F. Austin... 11 23 23 0 0 13 2 204 18.5
5. Nicholls State...... 11 24 24 0 0 7 0 189 17.2
6. Northwestern State.. 11 19 15 1 0 18 1 187 17.0
7. Southeastern La..... 11 23 14 3 0 7 1 181 16.5

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
1. Nicholls State...... 11 27 24 0 0 14 0 228 20.7
2. Stephen F. Austin... 11 28 23 3 0 11 1 232 21.1
3. McNeese State....... 11 31 22 1 0 10 0 240 21.8---Griz got 31, 10 above McNeese's average
4. Texas State......... 11 32 31 0 0 7 2 248 22.5
5. Northwestern State.. 11 29 25 1 0 16 0 249 22.6
6. Sam Houston State... 11 37 36 0 0 9 0 285 25.9
7. Southeastern La..... 11 46 45 0 0 10 0 351 31.9

PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Texas State......... 11 320 170 15 53.1 2215 6.9 16 201.4
2. Sam Houston State... 11 338 187 14 55.3 2191 6.5 12 199.2
3. Southeastern La..... 11 392 250 10 63.8 2064 5.3 14 187.6
4. Northwestern State.. 11 326 170 11 52.1 1931 5.9 10 175.5
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 300 172 5 57.3 1895 6.3 8 172.3
6. McNeese State....... 11 240 127 10 52.9 1719 7.2 15 156.3---Mcneese held to 125
7. Nicholls State...... 11 95 39 7 41.1 635 6.7 5 57.7

PASS DEFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
1. Nicholls State...... 11 272 153 8 56.2 1638 6.0 13 148.9
2. McNeese State....... 11 274 154 12 56.2 1714 6.3 13 155.8----yet gave up 279
3. Northwestern State.. 11 315 164 12 52.1 1974 6.3 17 179.5
4. Stephen F. Austin... 11 302 190 7 62.9 2129 7.0 13 193.5
5. Southeastern La..... 11 292 173 7 59.2 2179 7.5 18 198.1
6. Texas State......... 11 305 167 10 54.8 2224 7.3 17 202.2
7. Sam Houston State... 11 308 180 8 58.4 2225 7.2 20 202.3

RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
--------------------------------------------------------
1. Nicholls State...... 11 544 2573 4.7 18 233.9
2. McNeese State....... 11 430 1934 4.5 17 175.8---held to 99!
3. Stephen F. Austin... 11 394 1699 4.3 14 154.5
4. Northwestern State.. 11 439 1664 3.8 9 151.3
5. Texas State......... 11 351 1653 4.7 13 150.3
6. Sam Houston State... 11 334 1605 4.8 20 145.9
7. Southeastern La..... 11 313 1133 3.6 9 103.0

RUSHING DEFENSE G Rushes Yards Avg. TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------
1. Northwestern State.. 11 313 1319 4.2 9 119.9
2. Stephen F. Austin... 11 368 1555 4.2 14 141.4
3. Sam Houston State... 11 454 1670 3.7 13 151.8
4. Nicholls State...... 11 412 1674 4.1 13 152.2
5. Texas State......... 11 388 1705 4.4 12 155.0
6. McNeese State....... 11 437 1824 4.2 17 165.8----gored for almost 250!
7. Southeastern La..... 11 423 2122 5.0 26 192.9

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Texas State......... 11 1653 2215 671 3868 5.8 29 351.6
2. Sam Houston State... 11 1605 2191 672 3796 5.6 32 345.1
3. McNeese State....... 11 1934 1719 670 3653 5.5 32 332.1---barely mustered 225
4. Northwestern State.. 11 1664 1931 765 3595 4.7 19 326.8
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 1699 1895 694 3594 5.2 22 326.7
6. Nicholls State...... 11 2573 635 639 3208 5.0 23 291.6
7. Southeastern La..... 11 1133 2064 705 3197 4.5 23 290.6

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Northwestern State.. 11 1319 1974 628 3293 5.2 26 299.4
2. Nicholls State...... 11 1674 1638 684 3312 4.8 26 301.1
3. McNeese State....... 11 1824 1714 711 3538 5.0 30 321.6--gave up over 500 to UM
4. Stephen F. Austin... 11 1555 2129 670 3684 5.5 27 334.9
5. Sam Houston State... 11 1670 2225 762 3895 5.1 33 354.1
6. Texas State......... 11 1705 2224 693 3929 5.7 29 357.2
7. Southeastern La..... 11 2122 2179 715 4301 6.0 44 391.0

RED ZONE OFFENSE G RedZone Percent TDs R/P FG-AT Fumb/Int/Downs/Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. McNeese State....... 11 32-39 82.1 22 13/9 10-11 0/ 1/ 3/ 2---#1 in Southland, but couldn't punch it in versus Griz
2. Texas State......... 11 28-35 80.0 19 9/10 9-10 2/ 3/ 1/ 0
3. Southeastern La..... 11 22-29 75.9 15 5/10 7-9 0/ 0/ 5/ 0
4. Sam Houston State... 11 26-35 74.3 22 15/7 4-8 1/ 0/ 4/ 0
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 24-33 72.7 12 10/2 12-16 0/ 2/ 2/ 1
6. Nicholls State...... 11 23-33 69.7 18 17/1 5-6 6/ 0/ 2/ 1
7. Northwestern State.. 11 31-46 67.4 14 7/7 17-22 2/ 3/ 0/ 5

RED ZONE DEFENSE G RedZone Percent TDs R/P FG-AT Fumb/Int/Downs/Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Texas State......... 11 18-33 54.5 11 6/5 7-14 1/ 2/ 3/ 2
2. McNeese State....... 11 27-37 73.0 19 10/9 8-11 6/ 1/ 0/ 0---2nd in Southland, but gave up 4 TD's to a normally inefficient Griz offense
3. Sam Houston State... 11 31-42 73.8 23 12/11 8-10 3/ 0/ 5/ 1
4. Nicholls State...... 11 30-38 78.9 16 10/6 14-18 2/ 0/ 0/ 2
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 31-39 79.5 21 12/9 10-13 3/ 1/ 1/ 0
6. Northwestern State.. 11 23-28 82.1 14 4/10 9-11 1/ 1/ 1/ 0
7. Southeastern La..... 11 43-51 84.3 35 23/12 8-10 1/ 1/ 3/ 1

Again, stats App State racked up against the SoCon mean nothing when playing a team from a different conference. About the only thing to measure against is their games against Furman, and as I said earlier, both teams handled Furman with little trouble (although some FU fans seem to think 31-0 before two meaningless scores is "handing" the game to MSU).

ncguitarplyr
November 26th, 2006, 11:53 PM
yeah you can factor in schedule sure...app had a harder one...so if anything you've made your case even worse

Black and Gold Express
November 26th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Wait until Saturday, you'll see just how fast Edwards is as he runs up and down the field as he has every game he's played in this year.

It's not a totally fair comparison because he's a freshman, but this kid's the closest I've seen in person to a Michael Vick kind of quarterback. He's got a lot of raw talent, and legitimate sprinter speed (in pads) and a strong arm with decent accuracy. He's also shown an uncanny ability to not get rattled in big games so far.

If Montana State can keep him in check, they'll have been the first team to do so this year. Then they have to make sure to keep Richardson, Bettis, Mayfield, and Jackson in check too. And score on one of I-AA's best defenses as well. And do it in a venue where we have won 25 games in a row and not lost since 2002.

This is why so many ASU fans are confident/arrogant (depending on your viewpoint). We are as close to a complete team as it gets in I-AA. You think it's coincidence that every major I-AA writer has pretty much said the same thing about us? No, we're not unbeatable, but you are going to have to bring your A+ game to beat us, especially when we are at home. There's no two ways about that.

I am looking forward to this game. It's a team we have not faced, which leads to all kinds of new questions and the like. But there's a reason we are, and should be, confident as fans about our team, who we all have no doubt is not taking MSU lightly. It's because all season long our team has done nothing but win against every I-AA team, good and bad, they have faced. No reason to stop believing now.

ncguitarplyr
November 27th, 2006, 12:11 AM
yeah people seem to think our freshman qb is our weakness when he's really our strength....at the beginning of the season our offense was still finding its way but its gotten to the point where our offense is EVEN better than our defense

November 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM
yeah people seem to think our freshman qb is our weakness when he's really our strength....at the beginning of the season our offense was still finding its way but its gotten to the point where our offense is EVEN better than our defenseWell App St fans were preaching how great Trey Elder was before the season... gotta question the perception there.

B&G
November 27th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I am trying to be objective about this but there just seem to be too many factors which favor ASU in this one.

1) Montana State has to make a LONG flight to play this game.
2) ASU's home winning streak
3) ASU's edge in playoff experience from last year

These three things to me are some of the top advantages ASU has this weekend and all of these facts are concrete. Forget strength of schedule, weather or overconfidence... each of those can be debated until we're blue in the face and none can really be proven as advantageous or even true. Montana State is a better team than their record reflects and "Any Given Saturday" is always true... but I just don't see ASU losing to the Robertcats. That's not disrespect nor overconfidence.

I'm picking ASU to win 28-20 in this one.

Hells Bells
November 27th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Six posts and you come up with this?

I guess the fact I have watched a bunch of your games (you singled me out in your post with that quote) this season and the fact that I watch tape weekly on FCS teams (I've seen probably 70 of them this season) makes me one of those people that knows nothing about the Bobcats.

Son, I was probably watching Bobcat football when you were not even a twinkle in your father's eye. I remember Jan Stenerud coming to my hometown and breaking my team's heart (Fresno State) with a 55-yard field goal at historic Ratcliffe Stadium. Montana State was on our schedule nearly every year. We later turned into a football power by hiring one of your old coaches, Jim Sweeney. Montana State opened our sparkling new Bulldog Stadium in 1981 (with future Sacramento State coach Steve Mooshagian burning the Bobcat defense for the first touchdown on a nice pass reception). I had Montana State running back Tony Boddie land at my feet on the sideline that day. I heard a loud crack and Boddie had broken his collar bone right there in front of me. I've seen my share and written about my share of Montana State football over the years.

No one has done anything but praise Montana State for its win over Colorado. When it comes to beating I-A/BCS teams, almost all of FCS lines up and roots for you. Were we perplexed by those losses to Chadron State, UC Davis and Eastern Washington (probably the worst team you lost to)? Yes, we were. But we know teams go through growing pains. Still, four losses are four losses. Just ask Portland State why it isn't in the playoffs?

If you have never been to Kidd Brewer Stadium, you have no clue about its atmosphere. It is simply one of the best in FCS, along with Washington-Grizzly Stadium (the best), Paulson Stadium at Georgia Southern, Tubby Raymond Stadium at Delaware, Cowboy Stadium at McNeese State, the UNI Dome, Stambaugh Stadium at Youngstown State, Mumford Stadium at Southern U., and Mississippi Veteran's Memorial Stadium at Jackson State. Obviously, Washington-Grizzly and Folsom Field (a place where one of the ASU beat writers grew up with season tickets) are great homefields and it helps any team to have experienced such things. But it is simply tough playing in Boone, too.

Obviously you no little about the defending national champs with your comment on shutting down teams that run the option. ASU was an I-formation option based team (coach Jerry Moore used to be Nebraska's offensive coordinator), but that was back in the 1990s. For the past three years, ASU has run the no huddle spread. There is a little option involved, with the basic zone read play containing elements of the old Houston veer option that Bill Yeoman invented. But this offense is far more than that.

The Mountaineers attack you with a Payton Award finalist and the SoCon offensive player of the year at running back (Kevin Richardson), the freshman of the year (Armanti Edwards) at quarterback (you haven't seen a quicker QB all year, guaranteed), an All-American tight end (Daniel Bettis), two All-American linemen that have been the past two winners of the prestigious Jacob's Blocking Trophy (guard Kerry Brown and tackle Matt Isenhour) and one of the deepest groups of receivers anywhere in the country, led by All-Conference players William Mayfield and Dexter Jackson. And that's just the offense.

There are three more All-Americans and two Buchanan Award finalists on defense (DE Marques Murrell, SS Jeremy Wiggins and FS Corey Lynch, who will be back from his broken arm on Saturday). Even kicker Julian Rauch has been a back-to-back selection on the Jewish All-American team.

Can this team be beaten? Yes, any team can. If a team is able to force turnovers and convert them into points, you have a chance. But ASU has maybe the best defense in I-AA and often erases the turnovers the offense makes. ASU hasn't lost at Kidd Brewer for 25 games, spanning over four years and it hasn't been beaten by a I-AA/FCS team in the past 19 games. You beat a depleted Furman team 31-13, App State hammered the same squad when it was a bit healthier 40-7. The announcers who did the ESPN broadcast Saturday and had done them last year in one of the playoff games said they thought this ASU team was even better than the one that won the national championship last year. No one is saying the Bobcats have no chance, just that in playing the defending national champion that the task ahead is great.

mr c

appearantly you have to place "i hate msu" blinders on in order to post, which can explain half your posts on this thread. now that you have educated me on your fav. app state, now i get to educate you about msu

1) whos going to stop jefferson?
2) you claim speed on your o, i will guarentee you we are faster on d
3) you wont run for over 100 yards against us...mark that down!....well unless you are chadron state (div 2:o )

what i will also guarentee you is this is going to be a battle of a game :smiley_wi

**edit**

my six posts are a testiment on what i think of this board.

youwouldno
November 27th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Learn to spell. And I advise you not to take up any wagers on App rushing for less than 100 yards.

CatFan22
November 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Learn to spell. And I advise you not to take up any wagers on App rushing for less than 100 yards.

You would "know". :p ;)
Sorry, had to take a shot at that one. It just looked too good. :)
Anywho, I do have to agree with you that I wouldn't make a bet that App St. rushes for less than 100 yards. 100 yards on the ground doesn't always equal a win, however.

DuckDuckGriz
November 27th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Early prediction:

Cats pull this one out 22-19.

CatFan22
November 27th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Early prediction:

Cats pull this one out 22-19.

Interesting numbers. I'll go more conventional and say...MSU 20 - ASU 17.

Souza
November 27th, 2006, 01:08 AM

He is fast and poised. Fastest player I saw all season and knew how to use it as well.

Mr. C
November 27th, 2006, 01:12 AM
mr c

appearantly you have to place "i hate msu" blinders on in order to post, which can explain half your posts on this thread. now that you have educated me on your fav. app state, now i get to educate you about msu

3) you wont run for over 100 yards against us...mark that down!....well unless you are chadron state (div 2:o )

what i will also guarentee you is this is going to be a battle of a game :smiley_wi

**edit**

my six posts are a testiment on what i think of this board.
Who said anything about hating Montana State? I was excited to hear that MSU was in ASU's part of the draw so that we could work with Mike Kramer this week. If you don't believe that, listen to the I-AA.Waves/CSN-Waves broadcast from selection Sunday. Of all the teams in the field, this is one of the ones I wanted to see the most at this stage. I would also like to see New Hampshire against ASU to watch Santos and Ball match up with that ASU defense.

On your other comments:

Were you aware that Appalachian State has two of the best three safeties in the FCS? Jeremy Wiggins and Corey Lynch, again, are All-Americans and turnover machines. For a team that struggles with turnovers, they should both be a concern. The entire starting secondary from last year's championship team is back. ASU plays a lot of press coverage and let's their good corners, Touchstone and Woazeah lock down wide outs and the pass rush of Murrell and Tharrington force QBs into hurried throws. The ASU defensive coordinator will find a way to contain Jefferson, even though he is one of the most talented WRs in the subdivision. Jerome Simpson had seven catches and two TDs yesterday, but almost all of it was in the second half after CCU trailed 31-0. He had two catches for eight yards in the first half. No other receiver has really hurt ASU this season and they haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher since North Carolina State's NFL-caliber back did it in the first game.

Kevin Richardson is a Payton Award finalist and was the Southern Conference offensive player of the year. Not too many teams have slowed him down on the zone play in the past two years. He has 20 touchdowns. he and Armanti Edwards both rushed for over 100 yards in the first round of the playoffs. It would be shocking to see an offense averaging 224 yards per game on the ground, with an offensive line where four of the five guys were first-team all-conference, get held under 100 yards rushing. If you over-emphasize the rushing defense, ASU has the balance to beat you deep with the pass. Obviously, you haven't seen ASU play if you think that someone is going to beat them with speed. They are fast on offense and defense. I've seen around 70 teams in this classification play and NO ONE has ASU's speed. You will see on Saturday.

Like I've said all along, this will be a good game. I just think the defending champs are a couple of scores better.

Mr. C
November 27th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Well App St fans were preaching how great Trey Elder was before the season... gotta question the perception there.
Ralph, Trey Elder is still a very good quarterback. He would have been the starter on almost any other team in the SoCon. He got off to a slow start (as has been talked about many times around here) because of two factors, shoulder surgery in the summer and poor play calling in the first two games. Jerry Moore has said REPEATEDLY this year that Elder wasn't ready to play at the start of the season. Why does the emergence of Edwards have to mean that Elder is a bad QB? Elder would have started ahead of almost ANY QB that ASU has had in the past 14 years, outside of Armanti Edwards, Richie Williams and Joe Burchette. Why do you continue to put this kid down? Particularly when a lot of other people you respect have seen much more of him than you have. Give me some credit for talent evaluation. Like every other position, ASU has quality depth. If something happened to Edwards, the Mountaineers wouldn't miss a beat.

CatFan22
November 27th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Ralph, Trey Elder is still a very good quarterback. He would have been the starter on almost any other team in the SoCon. He got off to a slow start (as has been talked about many times around here) because of two factors, shoulder surgery in the summer and poor play calling in the first two games. Jerry Moore has said REPEATEDLY this year that Elder wasn't ready to play at the start of the season. Why does the emergence of Edwards have to mean that Elder is a bad QB? Elder would have started ahead of almost ANY QB that ASU has had in the past 14 years, outside of Armanti Edwards, Richie Williams and Joe Burchette. Why do you continue to put this kid down? Particularly when a lot of other people you respect have seen much more of him than you have. Give me some credit for talent evaluation. Like every other position, ASU has quality depth. If something happened to Edwards, the Mountaineers wouldn't miss a beat.

Very good points. Your depth has me a little worried. I hope we can really play as well as we have and get past your secondary and hold Edwards to a sub-par game. Should be a good one.

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Here's an example of why your comparisons hold no water:

UM vs McNeese State: 31-6, UM. And yet, in the Southland Conference, MSU had the following stats:

SCORING OFFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
1. McNeese State....... 11 36 33 0 0 16 0 297 27.0 ----they only could muster 6.
2. Sam Houston State... 11 37 25 2 0 4 0 263 23.9
3. Texas State......... 11 30 28 0 0 12 0 244 22.2
4. Stephen F. Austin... 11 23 23 0 0 13 2 204 18.5
5. Nicholls State...... 11 24 24 0 0 7 0 189 17.2
6. Northwestern State.. 11 19 15 1 0 18 1 187 17.0
7. Southeastern La..... 11 23 14 3 0 7 1 181 16.5

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
1. Nicholls State...... 11 27 24 0 0 14 0 228 20.7
2. Stephen F. Austin... 11 28 23 3 0 11 1 232 21.1
3. McNeese State....... 11 31 22 1 0 10 0 240 21.8---Griz got 31, 10 above McNeese's average
4. Texas State......... 11 32 31 0 0 7 2 248 22.5
5. Northwestern State.. 11 29 25 1 0 16 0 249 22.6
6. Sam Houston State... 11 37 36 0 0 9 0 285 25.9
7. Southeastern La..... 11 46 45 0 0 10 0 351 31.9

PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
1. Texas State......... 11 320 170 15 53.1 2215 6.9 16 201.4
2. Sam Houston State... 11 338 187 14 55.3 2191 6.5 12 199.2
3. Southeastern La..... 11 392 250 10 63.8 2064 5.3 14 187.6
4. Northwestern State.. 11 326 170 11 52.1 1931 5.9 10 175.5
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 300 172 5 57.3 1895 6.3 8 172.3
6. McNeese State....... 11 240 127 10 52.9 1719 7.2 15 156.3---Mcneese held to 125
7. Nicholls State...... 11 95 39 7 41.1 635 6.7 5 57.7

PASS DEFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
1. Nicholls State...... 11 272 153 8 56.2 1638 6.0 13 148.9
2. McNeese State....... 11 274 154 12 56.2 1714 6.3 13 155.8----yet gave up 279
3. Northwestern State.. 11 315 164 12 52.1 1974 6.3 17 179.5
4. Stephen F. Austin... 11 302 190 7 62.9 2129 7.0 13 193.5
5. Southeastern La..... 11 292 173 7 59.2 2179 7.5 18 198.1
6. Texas State......... 11 305 167 10 54.8 2224 7.3 17 202.2
7. Sam Houston State... 11 308 180 8 58.4 2225 7.2 20 202.3

RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
--------------------------------------------------------
1. Nicholls State...... 11 544 2573 4.7 18 233.9
2. McNeese State....... 11 430 1934 4.5 17 175.8---held to 99!
3. Stephen F. Austin... 11 394 1699 4.3 14 154.5
4. Northwestern State.. 11 439 1664 3.8 9 151.3
5. Texas State......... 11 351 1653 4.7 13 150.3
6. Sam Houston State... 11 334 1605 4.8 20 145.9
7. Southeastern La..... 11 313 1133 3.6 9 103.0

RUSHING DEFENSE G Rushes Yards Avg. TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------
1. Northwestern State.. 11 313 1319 4.2 9 119.9
2. Stephen F. Austin... 11 368 1555 4.2 14 141.4
3. Sam Houston State... 11 454 1670 3.7 13 151.8
4. Nicholls State...... 11 412 1674 4.1 13 152.2
5. Texas State......... 11 388 1705 4.4 12 155.0
6. McNeese State....... 11 437 1824 4.2 17 165.8----gored for almost 250!
7. Southeastern La..... 11 423 2122 5.0 26 192.9

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Texas State......... 11 1653 2215 671 3868 5.8 29 351.6
2. Sam Houston State... 11 1605 2191 672 3796 5.6 32 345.1
3. McNeese State....... 11 1934 1719 670 3653 5.5 32 332.1---barely mustered 225
4. Northwestern State.. 11 1664 1931 765 3595 4.7 19 326.8
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 1699 1895 694 3594 5.2 22 326.7
6. Nicholls State...... 11 2573 635 639 3208 5.0 23 291.6
7. Southeastern La..... 11 1133 2064 705 3197 4.5 23 290.6

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Northwestern State.. 11 1319 1974 628 3293 5.2 26 299.4
2. Nicholls State...... 11 1674 1638 684 3312 4.8 26 301.1
3. McNeese State....... 11 1824 1714 711 3538 5.0 30 321.6--gave up over 500 to UM
4. Stephen F. Austin... 11 1555 2129 670 3684 5.5 27 334.9
5. Sam Houston State... 11 1670 2225 762 3895 5.1 33 354.1
6. Texas State......... 11 1705 2224 693 3929 5.7 29 357.2
7. Southeastern La..... 11 2122 2179 715 4301 6.0 44 391.0

RED ZONE OFFENSE G RedZone Percent TDs R/P FG-AT Fumb/Int/Downs/Other
1. McNeese State....... 11 32-39 82.1 22 13/9 10-11 0/ 1/ 3/ 2---#1 in Southland, but couldn't punch it in versus Griz
2. Texas State......... 11 28-35 80.0 19 9/10 9-10 2/ 3/ 1/ 0
3. Southeastern La..... 11 22-29 75.9 15 5/10 7-9 0/ 0/ 5/ 0
4. Sam Houston State... 11 26-35 74.3 22 15/7 4-8 1/ 0/ 4/ 0
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 24-33 72.7 12 10/2 12-16 0/ 2/ 2/ 1
6. Nicholls State...... 11 23-33 69.7 18 17/1 5-6 6/ 0/ 2/ 1
7. Northwestern State.. 11 31-46 67.4 14 7/7 17-22 2/ 3/ 0/ 5

RED ZONE DEFENSE G RedZone Percent TDs R/P FG-AT Fumb/Int/Downs/Other
1. Texas State......... 11 18-33 54.5 11 6/5 7-14 1/ 2/ 3/ 2
2. McNeese State....... 11 27-37 73.0 19 10/9 8-11 6/ 1/ 0/ 0---2nd in Southland, but gave up 4 TD's to a normally inefficient Griz offense
3. Sam Houston State... 11 31-42 73.8 23 12/11 8-10 3/ 0/ 5/ 1
4. Nicholls State...... 11 30-38 78.9 16 10/6 14-18 2/ 0/ 0/ 2
5. Stephen F. Austin... 11 31-39 79.5 21 12/9 10-13 3/ 1/ 1/ 0
6. Northwestern State.. 11 23-28 82.1 14 4/10 9-11 1/ 1/ 1/ 0
7. Southeastern La..... 11 43-51 84.3 35 23/12 8-10 1/ 1/ 3/ 1

).

All those stats kudos on the research but was that MSU that just played McNeese? No! I thought they played UM.
So how exactly can this be a comparative for the upcoming MSU/App game WTFxidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xlolx xlolx xlolx talk about transitive grasping this earns the all time AGS prize for that hands down.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Probably should be nominated for best AGS joke of the year as well ROTFLMFAOASPINPxlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

November 27th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Ralph, Trey Elder is still a very good quarterback. He would have been the starter on almost any other team in the SoCon. He got off to a slow start (as has been talked about many times around here) because of two factors, shoulder surgery in the summer and poor play calling in the first two games. Jerry Moore has said REPEATEDLY this year that Elder wasn't ready to play at the start of the season. Why does the emergence of Edwards have to mean that Elder is a bad QB? Elder would have started ahead of almost ANY QB that ASU has had in the past 14 years, outside of Armanti Edwards, Richie Williams and Joe Burchette. Why do you continue to put this kid down? Particularly when a lot of other people you respect have seen much more of him than you have. Give me some credit for talent evaluation. Like every other position, ASU has quality depth. If something happened to Edwards, the Mountaineers wouldn't miss a beat.Mr. C,
To quote you, "Who said anything about" Trey Elder being "a bad QB?" "Who said anything about" putting Elder down? I didn't. I said something to the effect that since the champ game all App St fans were preaching about Trey this and Trey that but what we got was ... no Trey. You can preach about how this kid is the second coming but he hasn't gone anywhere. I didn't put him down. I simply pointed out that what App St fans preached didn't come through.

testy testy about a backup QB ...

thanks buddy, for siccing all the ASU people on me because YOU SAID I called Elder "a bad QB" and put him down when I didn't. I guess I am an ASU HATER too huh?

Black and Gold Express
November 27th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I guess I am an ASU HATER too huh?

About time you came to terms with the label a people slapped on you starting about this time last year. xlolx

You hold little love for ASU, and more importantly, their fans. And the feeling is mutual and both sides make little effort to hide that fact. You may not be an "ASU Hater", but it's not at the top of your list for sure.

Black and Gold Express
November 27th, 2006, 07:39 AM
mr c

3) you wont run for over 100 yards against us...mark that down!

How much money do you want to lay on items 2 and 3? Think hard before you put down money you'll never see again...

I guess you'll just learn like everyone else has this year, after the game is over you can come eat your crow on dumb statements like those two.

Bobcat in NC
November 27th, 2006, 07:42 AM
All those stats kudos on the research but was that MSU that just played McNeese? No! I thought they played UM.
So how exactly can this be a comparative for the upcoming MSU/App game WTFxidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xlolx xlolx xlolx talk about transitive grasping this earns the all time AGS prize for that hands down.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Probably should be nominated for best AGS joke of the year as well ROTFLMFAOASPINPxlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Personally, I didn't take this as some sort of comparison of Montana State and App. Doing so would be, as you point out, ridiculous. I took this post more as an indictment of just about everyone on this board calling the Big Sky weak and stating that App played a much more difficult schedule. Basically, our #1 owned the Southland's #1 and our #2 owned the SoCon's #2 (call it what you will, but the game was nowhere near as close as 31-13 would indicate. 31-7 when the Cats basically gave up a touchdown with 1 second left). If my interpretation of this post is correct, then I agree completely. I would rank the two schedules as just about equal overall (Colorado/NC State - both terrible, Chadron/Mars Hill - MSU's was much more difficult, Davis/JMU - App's was much more difficult, conference/conference - even, I think).

The major difference is that, even if the schedules are even, App won all but the NC State game. MSU, on the other hand, had the September stumble. App's domination of their schedule would lead one to believe in an easy Mountaineer win. However, as posted ad naseum by Cat supporters (including me), this Cat team is light years from the Cat team who imploded against Chadron/Davis/EWU. They're playing very well and have a big chip on their shoulder, bound to get bigger with everyone telling them they don't have a shot at The Rock. Are they playing well enough - and is the chip big enough - to win on Saturday? Logic says no, but my hope is yes. Screw logic, Cats by 1. 24-23.

Black and Gold Express
November 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Interesting numbers. I'll go more conventional and say...MSU 20 - ASU 17.

I think this one's going to be good for about 3 quarters, then ASU pulls away. No offense Cat fans, I just think we are that much better a team.

MSU 24
ASU 38

Bobcat in NC
November 27th, 2006, 07:56 AM
How much money do you want to lay on items 2 and 3? Think hard before you put down money you'll never see again...

I guess you'll just learn like everyone else has this year, after the game is over you can come eat your crow on dumb statements like those two.

By the way, I wouldn't bet on any of the 3. My responses would be:

1. The only person who can stop Jefferson is Jefferson. If his head is in the game and he catches the dang ball, App's defense (Lynch included) will have big problems on their hands.

2. Gotta go with App's offensive team speed. If Epikopo King wasn't hurt, I would almost call this one even. For the App fans who don't know, he's the Cats starting linebacker who very well may be the fastest guy on the team (receivers included). The injury he suffered against Furman will hurt the Cats for their next 3 games (yes, I'm trying to stay positive).

3. App will go for over 100 rushing. They won't get to their average and 100 yards rushing does not equal an automatic win. If the day ended with Richardson rushing for 55 yards and Edwards rushing for 50 yards (that's 105 total for the liberal arts majors out there), I'd be a happy man and feel real good about the outcome of the game.

AppGuy04
November 27th, 2006, 08:10 AM
There is no possible way the Edwards and Richardson go for less than 150 combined

CamelCityYosef
November 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM
mr c

now that you have educated me on your fav. app state, now i get to educate you about msu

Thanks for edumacatin' us dumb ol' hillbillies.

Now allow me to enlighten you, especially as to #2 & 3.

Montanna State has a great team, and a great defense-- no doubt about it. But they have not faced a team this season that has the offensive output that Appalachian does week after week.

App State rushes for an average of 224.83 yards per game. No one MSU has faced this year comes close to that.

Top 3 MSU opponents (Rushing Offense):
Colorado 172.92
Furman 168.33
Montanna 144.25

The Mountaineers' average total offense is 412.92 yards per game.

Top 3 MSU opponents (Total Offense):
No. Az 405.09
Montanna 375.33
Furman 341.25

So to say something like "you wont run for over 100 yards against us...mark that down!" is incredibly uninformed.

I'm not saying it won't be a close game or even that App is "guaranteed" a victory-- anything can happen.

I know that week after week, in the pre-game interview, the opposing coach says "we have to contain Edwards and Richardson", and the post-game interview he says "we didn't contain Edwards and Richardson."

I think the only way to contain Edwards and Richardson is to slip some bad barbeque into their pre-game meal...:smiley_wi

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
yeah people seem to think our freshman qb is our weakness when he's really our strength....at the beginning of the season our offense was still finding its way but its gotten to the point where our offense is EVEN better than our defense

People do keep saying that because this guy is a freshman, eventually he will "slip up". But the guy has been consistent all season long. When he game to Paulson Stadium on October 21st, I saw a QB making good decisions, and running as good as any running back in the Socon. This will hands down be the best offense the bobcats have seen all season, and their defense has put up some good numbers, too.

After seeing what Montana State was able to do with a less-than 100% Furman team (other than what the paladins gave them) I'm not that impressed with their offense. On paper, App State is definitly the better team and I just don't see them blowing their home winning streak this week.

OldFootballGuy
November 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Well App St fans were preaching how great Trey Elder was before the season... gotta question the perception there.

That seems a bit unfair. According to all the reports out of the App camp, Elder was hurt at the beginning of the season; moreso than anyone knew and is just recently back to full strength.

I've read many posts accusing you of bias against ASU. I didn't believe it, but posts like those certainly make it seem more believable.

Bobcat in NC
November 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for edumacatin' us dumb ol' hillbillies.

Know allow me to enlighten you, especially as to #2 & 3.

Montanna State has a great team, and a great defense-- no doubt about it. But they have not faced a team this season that has the offensive output that Appalachian does week after week.

App State rushes for an average of 224.83 yards per game. No one MSU has faced this year comes close to that.

Top 3 MSU opponents (Rushing Offense):
Colorado 172.92
Furman 168.33
Montanna 144.25

The Mountaineers' average total offense is 412.92 yards per game.

Top 3 MSU opponents (Total Offense):
No. Az 405.09
Montanna 375.33
Furman 341.25

So to say something like "you wont run for over 100 yards against us...mark that down!" is incredibly uninformed.

I'm not saying it won't be a close game or even that App is "guaranteed" a victory-- anything can happen.

I know that week after week, in the pre-game interview, the opposing coach says "we have to contain Edwards and Richardson", and the post-game interview he says "we didn't contain Edwards and Richardson."

I think the only way to contain Edwards and Richardson is to slip some bad barbeque into their pre-game meal...:smiley_wi

I guess that the high bid MSU made for the playoff game bought us more than that. It also bought the entire state an additional "n" in it's name.

:smiley_wi

CamelCityYosef
November 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I guess that the high bid MSU made for the playoff game bought us more than that. It also bought the entire state an additional "n" in it's name.

:smiley_wi

CRAP! Sorry about that-- no offense intended! :)

I know how much I hate it when people screw up Appalachian (BTW, it's app-ah-latch-in for all you flatlanders out there :smiley_wi )

Or, maybe I was subconciously adding in that extra defensive lineman MSU is going to need to contain the App rushing attack...xlolx

Cleets
November 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM
People do keep saying that because this guy is a freshman, eventually he will "slip up". But the guy has been consistent all season long. When he game to Paulson Stadium on October 21st, I saw a QB making good decisions, and running as good as any running back in the Socon. This will hands down be the best offense the bobcats have seen all season, and their defense has put up some good numbers, too.

After seeing what Montana State was able to do with a less-than 100% Furman team (other than what the paladins gave them) I'm not that impressed with their offense. On paper, App State is definitly the better team and I just don't see them blowing their home winning streak this week.

I completely agree,
I still (for the life of me) can't figure out what all this competitive discussion is about... App. State by 3 touchdowns and pulling away ...

As much as everybody would like to see the champs stumble (including me) it aint going to happen.... and Youngstown State (after they win) will get handed an even bigger ass kicking

In the other bracket:
I've watched Umass play first hand and I've watched a few Montana games on TV this season, neither is the same caliber as App. State.

Most of this is "creative banter" at best

Just my 2 cents

Mr. C
November 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Mr. C,
To quote you, "Who said anything about" Trey Elder being "a bad QB?" "Who said anything about" putting Elder down? I didn't. I said something to the effect that since the champ game all App St fans were preaching about Trey this and Trey that but what we got was ... no Trey. You can preach about how this kid is the second coming but he hasn't gone anywhere. I didn't put him down. I simply pointed out that what App St fans preached didn't come through.

testy testy about a backup QB ...

thanks buddy, for siccing all the ASU people on me because YOU SAID I called Elder "a bad QB" and put him down when I didn't. I guess I am an ASU HATER too huh?
Ralph:

Do not get into a symantical debate with me. Here is your statement:

"Well App St fans were preaching how great Trey Elder was before the season... gotta question the perception there."

That is CRITICAL of Trey Elder. You have told me your opinions of this kid many times, so I know where you stand on this kid. I have told you many times I have a different opinion. You were the one who wrote "gotta question the perception there." That is taking a shot at Trey Elder. You may not have said "BAD QB" in so many words, but this certainly is not a positive statement on the kid, is it? If it isn't a "put down" (your word here), what is it?

Yes I'm defending a "BACK-UP QB." Trey has handled the whole, badly-handled QB controversy with the type of class that has given coaches, players and others close to the program a huge admiration of this kid as a tremendous leader. He has taken Armanti Edwards under his wing and taught this youngster everything he knows. Elder has worked very hard in practice every day when he could have had a very different attitude. This is still a QB that won a undefeated state high school championship in South Carolina (as the state player of the year), a guy who came off the bench to start against a very good Texas State defense as a freshman and put up 41 points in the win, and a guy who perservered through some adversity against Furman in the national semifinals and scored the winning TD that sent ASU to the finals. He is a great kid that ANY school would be proud to have in its program.

Your statement about Elder was a cheap shot in my book. Why did you single out Elder? You bring stuff on yourself with this statement. I don't. Turning things around on you, where did I call you an App "HATER?" I don't care who the poster is, if I see someone taking a cheap shot at a player that is unfair, I will respond.

Appguy
November 27th, 2006, 09:58 AM
They won't get to their average and 100 yards rushing does not equal an automatic win. If the day ended with Richardson rushing for 55 yards and Edwards rushing for 50 yards (that's 105 total for the liberal arts majors out there), I'd be a happy man and feel real good about the outcome of the game.
Allowed:
252 rushing to Chadron State
125 rushing to Eastern Washington
139 rushing to Northern Colorado

and these are yards allowed mostly only to RBs, throw in Armanti's yards and i think the minimum we get would be 200 on ground

CopperCat
November 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Good news for MSU fans. Will Claggett, Michael Beach, and Aaron Papich are all likely to start to Saturday. Likewise, both Josh Lewis and Aaron Mason are both ready for Saturday as well. Getting some great players back for Appy will certainly help our chances!

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog." (or cat in this case)
-Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

GO CATS!!!!!!

psc2445
November 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
for those of you who have not seen ASU play the most similar backfield tandom in the country(because of style of offense, and similar speed) would be the backfield of West Virginia: Steve Slaton and Pat White. both can take it the distance every time they touch the ball. I think the Vick references are a little over the top because of the level he performed has been longer. MSU scares me because of their ability to beat Colorado, regardless of their down year, to go into boulder and win is a big deal. Hanging with montana in Wash/Griz means less to me, because that is a rivalry game that they ultimately lost. I know the Griz fans like to pump them(MSU) up because subconsciously it makes them feel better about their team. not smack, we do the same thing. ultimately praise for an opponent is to justify everyones own team more(my two cents). I believe it will be a great environment saturday and i think the visitors will be able to manage the hostile environment fine. I played in Wash/Grizz and it wont be louder than that, but it still has a mistique with the streak in tack. I would like to be able to say this one will not be in doubt til the end, but i have a feeling this one will be close. we all need to remember that both teams are on of 8 left, so a lopsided win could occur, but at this point the games should come down to late in the 4th. also at this point, stats are meaningless, the team that is the most focused and prepared will win. this is where i do give ASU a slight advantage simply because the do not have to leave their comfort zone. homefield in the playoffs is big, homefield on a cross country trip east is huge to me. hope MSU faithful have a safe trip and enjoy our high country. this is a long ass post for me, so i will stop now
Well, i guess i need to give a prediction.

us 28(late score to put it away)

dem 17

asu7
November 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM
dang I think I am gonna sell my tickets ... No need to watch a game where we are gonna for sure get beat ...

What is this underdog mentality that the Cats have? How can you be an underdog when everyone thinks you are gonna win ...

I love it ... keep thinkin that ...

I for one am not overlooking you ... I told dad that MSU will be tough tough ... and it does not matter if we play RS CENTRAL high school ... we get everyone's best shot so we know you will bring it ...

I am not here to get into a pissin match ... this game will be close ... App will bring their A game ... MSU will bring their A game .. one will be a winner and the other will go home and watch the rest of the playoffs on the couch ...

If you think you are gonna march into THE ROCK and whoop us ... you may want to think about that ... we will get your best shot no doubt ... you will get ours too though ...

it will be a good game ... a close game ... winnable by BOTH teams MSU and most definitely ASU ... we can still win even though the UMASS fans thinks we are gonna get upset every week ... FU thought they would beat us too except for a couple of their fans ... so far everyone has thought we were beatable to after the game lol ... well except for a WCU linebacker who still had hope that the score would change after the western game lol

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Actually the Appalachians on the border of NC-TN often boast colder weather than the North, even Youngstown!!!

Go Apps
November 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Turnovers will determine the outcome - if ASU gives up the ball - MSU will win this game

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM
The real team of montana will win this sat.
The best team in the SoCon will also roll.

griz8791
November 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
fI know the Griz fans like to pump them(MSU) up because subconsciously it makes them feel better about their team. not smack, we do the same thing. ultimately praise for an opponent is to justify everyones own team more(my two cents).

Obviously App is the team to beat. Obviously App has a huge homefield advantage. That said, if you are going to beat the Cats you had better beat them early. I was at their game on Saturday and they seemed to pick up a lot of steam when it became clear Furman couldn't run on them. I think you could be in for trouble if they get the impression they can hang with you.

lizrdgizrd
November 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Obviously App is the team to beat. Obviously App has a huge homefield advantage. That said, if you are going to beat the Cats you had better beat them early. I was at their game on Saturday and they seemed to pick up a lot of steam when it became clear Furman couldn't run on them. I think you could be in for trouble if they get the impression they can hang with you.

Gotcha. Beat them quick and cruise to a win. I like that strategy. It worked well for us this weekend. :cool:

asu7
November 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Gotcha. Beat them quick and cruise to a win. I like that strategy. It worked well for us this weekend. :cool:

maybe we should hire him as a coach ... it appears that griz fans are hopin for a break ... I will say this is ... whoever wins the top bracket wins the title ... no matter who it is ... becareful what you wish for UM ... MSU beats you in NOOGA IF they make it there ...

BelgradeBobcat
November 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
That fact is-even Montana State fans have no idea what this team will do. Our team has proven they can beat anybody-and lose to anybody. We have had the weirdest roller coaster season you can imagine. A win at Colorado and then a loss at home to Chadron-that's a dubious feat indeed. For what it's worth-nobody else has beaten Chadron either. They are 12-0 and heading into the next round of the D-2 playoffs. They have this little running back who's breaking every record out there. I think they're the Hickory Huskers of college football!

Back to MSU-we can beat ASU. We can also get blown out. I don't think our guys will lay and egg on this trip. They're sharp and they are ready. I agree with an above post-turnovers will be the key. Also special teams.

A couple of questions for ASU fans:

I see your coach has been there for 18 years. How have you been able to hold on to him so long. That kind of longevity is pretty rare at our level. How many buildings on campus will they name after him when he retires?

What's the closest airport to Boone? Do teams fly into Charlotte and bus over?

griz8791
November 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM

I guess that is pretty obvious advice, isn't it? It seemed thoughtful at the time.:(

appisgreatest
November 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
We've been able to hang onto him because he truly loves ASU and Boone. I believe he's said that several times and has stated that he has no intentions of leaving.

Appguy
November 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I see your coach has been there for 18 years. How have you been able to hold on to him so long. That kind of longevity is pretty rare at our level. How many buildings on campus will they name after him when he retires?

What's the closest airport to Boone? Do teams fly into Charlotte and bus over?

Hes getting pretty old so I dont see him moving to 1-A probably settled in here.

Charlottes the closest good airport but Ive never heard of a situation of a team flying here recently cause our opponents are mostly close to this area, bus distance

lizrdgizrd
November 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I guess that is pretty obvious advice, isn't it? It seemed thoughtful at the time.:(
I think the important part of your post was to not give MSU a chance to think they can stay with us. It's hard to keep fighting when you're down 31-0 at the half.

Props to CCU for fighting back, not many teams would do that! :thumbsup:
Here's hoping MSU doesn't have that kind of fight in them.

AppGuy04
November 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Hes getting pretty old so I dont see him moving to 1-A probably settled in here.

Charlottes the closest good airport but Ive never heard of a situation of a team flying here recently cause our opponents are mostly close to this area, bus distance

Greensboro would be closer. I think Winston has an airport too, but much smaller.

rb45070
November 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Well reading the post took up my lunch break, and I have come to exactly one solid fact in all of this:

This is going to be one hell of a game.

I love this matchup. MSU has played in places just like KBS. Colorado and Montana are examples. Thats not gonna be a factor at all. The two things i wanna see the most are App's front seven vs MSU's front seven and MSU's recievers against App's db's. I am stuck at work but will have the tv tuned in and my early prediction is ASU 27 MSU-17

Best of luck to the Cats and hope you and your fans have a good, safe trip.

barechestcat
November 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
MSU is flying in on Thursday to prepare for the game (Salem area is what I believe I read).

I think ASU fans have a good reason to be confident/cocky/arrogant regarding their team. You have a solid club. I base that on you winning the NC last year, season to date this year.

What I have trouble digesting is the comments from some that center around us not having seen this or that this year. It may be entirely true. But, we also heard it last week from folks when the discussion was centered on Furman. They were healthy coming in due to a two week break that had allowed them to get healthy. Supposedly we had seen nothing like their running game. Their QB, FB, RB were going to show us what a power running game can accomplish. With all due respect to Furman, that running game never challenged our defense while the game was in question.

I totally believe you when ASU fans talk about how fast and talented your team is; we feel the same way about ours.

I truly look forward to this game on Saturday. With the way my Bobcats are playing right now, I see them being equal to ASU's stellar team. To me, the game comes down to intangibles that have been mentioned already.

Now, I need to go call my cable company so that I can watch this in HD on Saturday.:hurray:

November 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
About time you came to terms with the label a people slapped on you starting about this time last year. xlolx

You hold little love for ASU, and more importantly, their fans. And the feeling is mutual and both sides make little effort to hide that fact. You may not be an "ASU Hater", but it's not at the top of your list for sure.:homer:

AppGuy04
November 27th, 2006, 12:05 PM
:homer:

Word of wisdom Ralph

You might get a few more donations from the Boone faithful if you didn't come off as an App hater

AppGuy04
November 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM
MSU is flying in on Thursday to prepare for the game (Salem area is what I believe I read).

Salem would be Winston-Salem. Thats about an hour and 15 minute drive to Boone, maybe longer. Those buses might take a little longer to climb the mountain.

November 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
... That is CRITICAL of Trey Elder. You have told me your opinions of this kid many times, so I know where you stand on this kid. I have told you many times I have a different opinion. You were the one who wrote "gotta question the perception there." That is taking a shot at Trey Elder. ... if I see someone taking a cheap shot at a player that is unfair, I will respond.Well let me know when you see someone take a "cheap shot" because I never did. I was questioning the perception of the "fans" when I wrote "Well App St fans were preaching how great Trey Elder was before the season... gotta question the perception there." I have no great opinion on Trey Elder other than he has not proven to be a star yet. He got hurt before he got the real chance. I realize fans were unaware that Trey was injured as badly as he was but you jumped to a conclusion that was incorrect.

BeauFoster
November 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Smith Reynolds Airport (in Winston-Salem) is small, but capable of handling any air traffic that is needed. PTI (Piedmont Triad International) in Greensboro would be the best for Cat fans who might attend without flying some sort of university sponsored charter. Flights from Bozeman to PTI are running at $1200 currently, arriving on Thursday and leaving Sunday. Are the cats going to be practicing in Winston on Thursday? If so, I would love to scout them!

spoogemcgee18
November 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM
All I know is I am so nervous for this game, mostly because I cannot be there. I am stuck here on the beach in Costa Rica for the next week, studying abroad (God I picked a bad time to do that). They say it is paradise here, but I would rather be at the Rock in 10 degree weather any day. I know it is hard to feel bad for me, but App fans, please cheer extra loudly to make up for the lack of my voice.

lizrdgizrd
November 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM
All I know is I am so nervous for this game, mostly because I cannot be there. I am stuck here on the beach in Costa Rica for the next week, studying abroad (God I picked a bad time to do that). They say it is paradise here, but I would rather be at the Rock in 10 degree weather any day. I know it is hard to feel bad for me, but App fans, please cheer extra loudly to make up for the lack of my voice.
I'll cry you a river for your horrible circumstances! xlolx
See if you can convert some CRs to App fans and watch it on TV!

BigApp
November 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I refuse to read that last post on the grounds that that is simply toom any emoticons.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: xcoffeex :nonono2: :nonono2:
: smh : : smh : :bawling: : smh : : smh :
:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:twocents:

appfan2008
November 27th, 2006, 01:19 PM
APP-45
MSU-14

THE BIG SKY CAN NOT HANG WITH THE SOCON

asu7
November 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
That fact is-even Montana State fans have no idea what this team will do. Our team has proven they can beat anybody-and lose to anybody. We have had the weirdest roller coaster season you can imagine. A win at Colorado and then a loss at home to Chadron-that's a dubious feat indeed. For what it's worth-nobody else has beaten Chadron either. They are 12-0 and heading into the next round of the D-2 playoffs. They have this little running back who's breaking every record out there. I think they're the Hickory Huskers of college football!

Back to MSU-we can beat ASU. We can also get blown out. I don't think our guys will lay and egg on this trip. They're sharp and they are ready. I agree with an above post-turnovers will be the key. Also special teams.

I agree ... I am reserved about APP as well ... both teams gotta bring their A game ... but doesnt that play true to any team in the playoffs ... this goin to be a great game ... WELCOME TO THE ROCK ... MSU Fans ... while it may not be Colorado ... it is where we call home and it will be a good atmosphere ... I am expectin you guys to bring your best game and I expect my APPS to do the same ...:hurray:

Grizfanatic
November 27th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I have no doubt that AppState will beat the Cats, I think the Mountaineers will come out put up some quick scores then coast... However to say that the BSC cannot hang with the SoCon... we shall see in the NC.

November 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
... You might get a few more donations from the Boone faithful if you didn't come off as an App hater:rolleyes:
I don't get any donations so I have no idea what you're talking about. Only App St homers see me as an "App hater" because everyone else knows I like all CS teams. Circle the wagons and call everyone a hater who isn't an App St homer if you like. I prefer impartiality.

Walkon79
November 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM
APP-45
MSU-14

What? 31-13

Mountaineer
November 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Playoff Notebook: Ticket Demand High for Saturday’s National Quarterfinal
by Appalachian Sports Information

November 27, 2006 - BOONE, N.C. -- After an Appalachian State University postseason-record crowd of 16,223 watched the top-seeded Mountaineers dismantle Coastal Carolina, 45-28, in the first round of the 2006 NCAA Division I Football Championship, ticket demand is once again at a fever pitch for Saturday’s national quarterfinal versus Montana State.

ESPN2 TALENT ANNOUNCED: ESPN2 announced on Monday that Gary Thorne (play-by-play), 1989 Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware (analyst) and Todd Harris (sidelines) will call the action for Saturday’s broadcast. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m.

INJURY REPORT: All-America safety Corey Lynch is listed as probable to return for Saturday’s game, just four weeks removed from a severe elbow injury suffered Nov. 4 versus The Citadel.

That news is even more welcome for the Mountaineers because Lynch’s replacement in the starting lineup the past two games, Billy Riddle, is listed as doubtful with an ankle injury suffered Saturday versus Coastal Carolina

http://www.goasu.com/article/9823/

AppAlum96
November 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM

For the flatlanders, I'd agree with you. But I saw my share of -45 wind effect days when I was in Boone. But now, I live in San Diego, and I laugh and laugh when it drops below 60 here, and people are wearing ski jackets...

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, a lot of hostility going on. I think almost every thread has people acusing Ralph of being a hater.

Ralph is very impartial and always calls it like he sees it. Even with Cap'n Cat and I in New Hampshire last year all he talked about was New Hampshire. He calls it like he sees it, now how you want to hear it. :thumbsup:

Slackjaw
November 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Your team is faster than ours. Your team is smarter than ours. Your team is stronger than ours. Your stadium is crazy nuts. your conference is better than ours. your schedule was tougher than ours. your weather is just as harsh as ours. your defense is better, your offense is better, hell your cheerleaders are probably hotter than ours. To top it all you actually beat Furman, we just took what they handed to us (sure glad they handed us 31 points because 3 wouldn't of been good). Damn were screwed.

But just to keep the homer lifestyle alive i'm going with:
msu 55
app -2

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM
oh, I guess I could post about the game, too. The Rock is a tough place to play. I am always impressed by the pictures and broadcasts I have seen from their games. ASU has some loud fans, and I have witnessed that first hand.

Montana State destroyed Furman last week, and since they were up a lot early, I didn't watch that game. I haven't seen Montana State since the Colorado game, so it's hard for me to give much opinion on their skills. They will be prepared to play in a tough atmosphere. Washington-Griz is one of the loudest stadiums in all of Division I, and I'm sure Colorado was pretty loud.

I think App St pulls it off with some home field magic and a more talented team, but I think it'll be within 2 scores.

Grizfanatic
November 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
For the flatlanders, I'd agree with you. But I saw my share of -45 wind effect days when I was in Boone. But now, I live in San Diego, and I laugh and laugh when it drops below 60 here, and people are wearing ski jackets...

I Think it is safe to safe that the weather will effect neither team... This is one arguement I am sick of hearing about!I can understand travel to a small degree, yet at this level neither really make that big a difference.

I think that the cards are stacked against MSU, I think that they will be flat after the huge win againt Furman (As they were against Chadron after the Colorado win)... the injuries thrown in and the fact that I do not see AppState making mistakes...It would be one hell of an upset, an upset that I think will not happen.

Go GRIZ!

Slackjaw
November 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Ohh yeah.....in my actual prediction i'm going with:

msu 14
app 21

your team is good but dang can you throw us a bone and at least say we might have something on you, like backup qb,.....wait nevermind